PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to No.1 - Behind the goals

stuart-farquhar
02-02-2022, 10:28 AM
Why is this space not used on match days? Or is it operating as something else. Wasn't complicated or fancy,but served a purpose (if not a decent pint :) )

ozhibs
02-02-2022, 10:35 AM
Why is this space not used on match days? Or is it operating as something else. Wasn't complicated or fancy,but served a purpose (if not a decent pint :) )

I think it was mentioned that it would cost too much to bring it up to scratch, as it had been left to run down

GGTTH

Sir David Gray
02-02-2022, 10:40 AM
I think it was mentioned that it would cost too much to bring it up to scratch, as it had been left to run down

GGTTH

Yep I think that was the explanation provided by Ben Kensell. Really disappointing as I was in there before every home game but doesn't sound like it will be used in the foreseeable future.

Rick Rude
02-02-2022, 10:44 AM
Think he also mentioned it actually used to lose money so there was little incentive to spend to get it back up and running.

I'd really like to see us do something with the space between the east and famous five stands. Could have a few different food and drink options and some music or entertainment. Doubt it'd cost an awful lot.

Pretty Boy
02-02-2022, 10:55 AM
The previous owner/chairman/CEO essentially mothballed the space and it was allowed to decline to a state in which it will cost a significant sum to bring it up to scratch. It also used to lose money most days it was open but I daresay it could be argued that is because the product and service was lacking.

It's a shame because a lot of money was spent on the FF stand hospitality spaces when the stand was built. I think as the facilities in the west superseded it, the maintenance and upgrades required just didn't happen.

I still think we could utilise the space either in the corner between the FF and East or behind the East better. I'm sure there would be licensing and logistical challenges but a gazebo/marquee type space hosting a fan bar would be something to consider imo.

Hearts seem to have made a bit of a success of their Skyline Restaurant with(out) castle views. Reviews are good and I know a few non football fans who have gone along and enjoyed it. They have it open Thursday through Sunday and the Sunday roast option is often fully booked. I'm not sure how easy it is to implement but it would be interesting for Hibs to try similar rather than the sporadic fathers day and similar events in the West that inevitably end up being expensive because of the challenges of one off dinner services.

stuart-farquhar
02-02-2022, 10:57 AM
Think he also mentioned it actually used to lose money so there was little incentive to spend to get it back up and running.

I'd really like to see us do something with the space between the east and famous five stands. Could have a few different food and drink options and some music or entertainment. Doubt it'd cost an awful lot.

Well I don't have access to the site or numbers but would have thought a simple bar and a coat of paint would do it. It wasn't exactly the Dome but was in reasonable condition. Seems odd to me not to make something of it.

Lendo
02-02-2022, 10:59 AM
Whatever happened to part of the FF being turned in to a community doctors surgery? That was being talked about for an long time.

zitelli62
02-02-2022, 11:04 AM
I'm sure there would be enough volunteers willing to help to bring it up to scratch but not sure that's the route the club want to go down

Zambernardi1875
02-02-2022, 11:08 AM
With the declining lack of pre match options surely there’s Hibs fans with companies who’d be willing to do the work needed and in return get advertising or free season tickets etc

GreenPJ
02-02-2022, 11:15 AM

GGTTH

Ron's mantra has been to try and maximise the commercial opportunities available to the club - that's been seen with the number of sponsorship deals announced. It seems strange that they have a large space (think it was once referenced as the UK's largest supporters bar - covering the two floors) that they are willing to leave it empty.

Would be interested to know how much it would cost to bring it up to scratch but then there must be someone with good publican experience who could make that work - experienced bar staff, opening timings, food and good selection of beers would am sure allow it to generate a profit just depends on how long it would take to get your return on investment back. They used to do Sunday lunches in there which were very good and always seemed popular.

Rick Rude
02-02-2022, 11:15 AM
I might be wrong but I think the issues might be a bit deeper than just needing a coat of paint hence the stand being closed for the first few games of the season.

The chat was always Dempster cut back on things like upkeep when she came in to focus more money on the team. These things are good for the short term but tend to come back to bite you long term.

Pretty Boy
02-02-2022, 11:20 AM
I'm sure there would be enough volunteers willing to help to bring it up to scratch but not sure that's the route the club want to go down

I think there may be something in the idea that the club are quite happy to leave the space on furlough which surprises me.

We have an owner who may be Peruvian by birth but seems very culturally American. You go to an NFL game or similar and the food and drink options are second to none. There's obviously the challenge of the licensing laws in football stadiums here when considering a beer or whatever actually in the ground and in terms of scale ER isn't really comparable to a baseball or gridiron stadium. We also have a CEO with EPL experience and again down south they utilise every available space to maximise turnover and get fans spending. Again there are restrictions here not faced in England.

However I can't believe there is no business case to be put forward to use the stadium to it's potential both on match days and at other times. Obviously the Queen event suggests there is some thought about using the stadium as a money maker but a lot has been said about 'match day experience'. The big screens are a welcome addition but beyond that the catering is still pretty poor, often closed in various areas and understaffed when it is open. Our supporters bar is mothballed and hospitality is a one off treat rather than a weekly event for most people. There is no real reason to get to ER early and either soak in an atmosphere, spend money or both.

Things like a well stocked, well staffed, well maintained fan bar and a restaurant space open at weekends should over a period of time become drivers of increased revenue. So many other clubs do it (Hearts, St Johnstone, Livingston and Rangers recently announced an on site bar at Ibrox is to open) that it can't be pie in the sky to suggest it can be profitable.

I was actually lucky enough to speak to Leeann Dempster at length about this on one occasion and a local brewery reached out of the back of that with a view to stocking pop up bottle bars in BTG. They received no response from the club......

Big_Franck
02-02-2022, 11:21 AM
This is another area where the much talked about "match day experience" is lacking. It wouldn't even take much to get it open again surely. It can't be in that bad a state.

For me there are two things I want to see at Easter Road and that is a safe standing area and somewhere to get a pint before the game, even more so now that the alternatives in the local area have dwindled even further. Unfortunately the club clearly couldn't care less about either of those things.

Lendo
02-02-2022, 11:37 AM
​
I think there may be something in the idea that the club are quite happy to leave the space on furlough which surprises me.

We have an owner who may be Peruvian by birth but seems very culturally American. You go to an NFL game or similar and the food and drink options are second to none. There's obviously the challenge of the licensing laws in football stadiums here when considering a beer or whatever actually in the ground and in terms of scale ER isn't really comparable to a baseball or gridiron stadium. We also have a CEO with EPL experience and again down south they utilise every available space to maximise turnover and get fans spending. Again there are restrictions here not faced in England.

However I can't believe there is no business case to be put forward to use the stadium to it's potential both on match days and at other times. Obviously the Queen event suggests there is some thought about using the stadium as a money maker but a lot has been said about 'match day experience'. The big screens are a welcome addition but beyond that the catering is still pretty poor, often closed in various areas and understaffed when it is open. Our supporters bar is mothballed and hospitality is a one off treat rather than a weekly event for most people. There is no real reason to get to ER early and either soak in an atmosphere, spend money or both.

Things like a well stocked, well staffed, well maintained fan bar and a restaurant space open at weekends should over a period of time become drivers of increased revenue. So many other clubs do it (Hearts, St Johnstone, Livingston and Rangers recently announced an on site bar at Ibrox is to open) that it can't be pie in the sky to suggest it can be profitable.

I was actually lucky enough to speak to Leeann Dempster at length about this on one occasion and a local brewery reached out of the back of that with a view to stocking pop up bottle bars in BTG. They received no response from the club......

The excellent Bellfield Brewery is a mere 700 meters away from the stadium (Campervan Brewery slightly further than that). It would be amazing to link up with a local brewery and have them run a bar within the stadium.

Pretty Boy
02-02-2022, 11:49 AM
​

The excellent Bellfield Brewery is a mere 700 meters away from the stadium (Campervan Brewery slightly further than that). It would be amazing to link up with a local brewery and have them run a bar within the stadium.

Interesting you should mention them:wink:

Phil MaGlass
02-02-2022, 12:16 PM

Nae wonder it lost money, the service was 5hit and massive queues that took ages to get served.
All it needs is a few volunteers tae do it up, the club to donate a bit and someone to cover the costs of start up. I would be interested to learn just how much it would cost to tidy up.

Close it 15 mins before the game starts, put doors in leading from the FF that can be opened at KO so you could have access for food during the game. How difficult could it be. Best of both worlds?
A bar before the game, a food kiosk during then a bar after.

Since90+2
02-02-2022, 12:22 PM
Did they not get the guy who used to own Le Monde involved recently to help with something bar related at ER?

KeithTheHibby
02-02-2022, 12:29 PM
Behind the goals used to great and was so popular, even with lesser gates than we get now.

If you were not in by 2pm forget it, was always very busy. Large screens for the football, food at a fraction of the price you pay during the match and also had entertainment for kids. I would imagine RG must be looking at bringing that back in the near future.

LaMotta
02-02-2022, 12:30 PM
The problem with any eating or drinking outlet at Easter Road, whether inside the stadium or outside it between stands is that there isnt enough time to have a set up that makes meaningful money.

You have a maybe 2-3 hour window before games and that's it. Maybe some time after. But only once every 2 weeks during 9 months of the year. And some games start at lunchtime. Barring the big games our crowds are not that great, so I cant see how its worth it for the club.

Plenty of great places close by though- good to support local businesses.

Lendo
02-02-2022, 12:38 PM
I’ve never been in Behind The Goals. How big a space is it? Would there not be scope to opening it up on Friday nights and all day Saturday (when we are playing away) for folk to watch the early/late kickoffs and the scores coming in on Sky Sports News?

Since90+2
02-02-2022, 12:39 PM
I’ve never been in Behind The Goals. How big a space is it? Would there not be scope to opening it up on Friday nights and all day Saturday (when we are playing away) for folk to watch the early/late kickoffs and the scores coming in on Sky Sports News?

Can't imagine you'd get many folk wanting to sit in BTG on a Friday night. It's not a particularly nice setting, it's just very convenient for match days.

Hibi
02-02-2022, 12:44 PM
This is another area where the much talked about "match day experience" is lacking. It wouldn't even take much to get it open again surely. It can't be in that bad a state.

For me there are two things I want to see at Easter Road and that is a safe standing area and somewhere to get a pint before the game, even more so now that the alternatives in the local area have dwindled even further. Unfortunately the club clearly couldn't care less about either of those things.

Agreed and those were 2 things I highlighted before in the fan survey. I always used to make use of BTG and it always seemed pretty busy 90 minutes before kick off with all tables full and lots standing, disappointed it’s not available now.

dp00
02-02-2022, 01:09 PM
Took my mate to his first derby yesterday and we actually struggled to work out which pub to go to, club surely missing a trick here , behind the goals was always super busy, if they got the service right it surely would be an even biggest success ?

Even things like having some bands in it playing music, the guy who was on the pitch at the start for example or even just some back ground music and give some local food places chance to sell there food to fans

You’ve gotta think it would make a decent amount or at least break even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
02-02-2022, 01:14 PM

Totally agree mate. Its such a pain in the bahooky trying to get into a pub around ER these days, especially before big games, that there's an actual thread about it on here. Me and my mate arrived at ER an hour before kick off last night and found the doors of all the pubs shut because they were absolutely rammed. Its noticeable as you wander up ER the number of closed down boozers there are too.

In those circumstances it seems mental that Hibs cant find a way to, or seem unwilling to find a way, to get the facilities in the FF up and running. There must be some way to achieve it, even if it's leasing out the space to a brewery chain or someone else who knows what they are doing or even as someone else mentioned some sort of voluntary initiative where the fans themselves tart the place up and run it, there must be masses of folk in our support with hospitality experience and experience of resurrecting falling down restaurants and boozers.

Ron Gordon spoke very enthusiastically a couple of years ago about making ER a bright and vibrant place on matchdays .... how is that going when you arrive outside the FF stand for the biggest league game of the season and it looks like they've forgotten to open the stadium?

Keith_M
02-02-2022, 01:18 PM
The problem with any eating or drinking outlet at Easter Road, whether inside the stadium or outside it between stands is that there isnt enough time to have a set up that makes meaningful money.

You have a maybe 2-3 hour window before games and that's it. Maybe some time after. But only once every 2 weeks during 9 months of the year. And some games start at lunchtime. Barring the big games our crowds are not that great, so I cant see how its worth it for the club.

Plenty of great places close by though- good to support local businesses.

I totally get your points, but aren't there similar facilities at some other stadiums that seem to function OK in spite of those limitations?

:dunno:

I'm sure there's a few in England and I think there's even one in the South Stand at Livi (I think HC mentioned it on a matchday thread.)

LaMotta
02-02-2022, 01:52 PM
I totally get your points, but aren't there similar facilities at some other stadiums that seem to function OK in spite of those limitations?

:dunno:

I'm sure there's a few in England and I think there's even one in the South Stand at Livi (I think HC mentioned it on a matchday thread.)

Fair question. Dunfermline actually have a decent bar in the Main Stand at Easter Road - Legends I think its called, I was in before the friendly 2 years ago. Its pretty small though and I dont think there are too many pubs close to the stadium.

Not aware of too many others. BTG was convenient, but it was a charcterless space and not somewhere that would be my first choice for a bevvy.

stuart-farquhar
02-02-2022, 02:48 PM
Fair question. Dunfermline actually have a decent bar in the Main Stand at Easter Road - Legends I think its called, I was in before the friendly 2 years ago. Its pretty small though and I dont think there are too many pubs close to the stadium.

Not aware of too many others. BTG was convenient, but it was a charcterless space and not somewhere that would be my first choice for a bevvy.

I might use that on Saturday.

MWHIBBIES
02-02-2022, 02:54 PM
With the declining lack of pre match options surely there’s Hibs fans with companies who’d be willing to do the work needed and in return get advertising or free season tickets etc

Or Hibs could just pay to get it done? We have an owner with tens of millions, we don't need to rely on paying people with exposure. That doesn't put food on their table. Hibs just don't want to do anything with it.

Zambernardi1875
02-02-2022, 03:23 PM
Or Hibs could just pay to get it done? We have an owner with tens of millions, we don't need to rely on paying people with exposure. That doesn't put food on their table. Hibs just don't want to do anything with it.

Away n boil yer heed ya rocket

MWHIBBIES
02-02-2022, 03:33 PM

eh, okay. Well thought out stuff.

My points stands, though. If Ron wanted to do something with it, he would. We don't need freebies from hard working Hibs fans.

Zambernardi1875
02-02-2022, 03:38 PM

My points stands, though. If Ron wanted to do something with it, he would. We don't need freebies from hard working Hibs fans.

Are you self employed? Have a trade even? Does advertising work to increase future business? Answers on a postcard

A Hi-Bee
02-02-2022, 03:41 PM

:faf: I love that auld saying, although always used the I in "Heid" brilliant stuff, I agree with you.
:agree:

mixumatosis
02-02-2022, 03:42 PM
I may be wrong, but suspect there won't be any movement on it until the Deloitte review is published and the authorities have had a chance to respond. I expect it will highlight exactly what a number of people have said in this thread - that there is a vast amount of money being lost to the game due to the current licensing arrangements.

I'm sure I recall someone saying that there was quite significant water damage in the FF hospitality areas, so it's presumably going to cost a fair sum to get it back open. Would make little sense to do that now if there's going to be (or you are hoping there will be) significant changes to when and how you can use the space in the near future.

Lago
02-02-2022, 03:44 PM

You make a well argue case for someone (C. E. O? ) to have another look at this situation, you mention America as an example the only thing I would say is that there people turn up up hours early, in their cars with access to a large parking area surrounding the stadium, they can then picnic.
I'm disappointed that Leeann showed little interest in your suggestions as they sound like a good starting point.

MWHIBBIES
02-02-2022, 03:49 PM
Are you self employed? Have a trade even? Does advertising work to increase future business? Answers on a postcard

No, I'm not.
Yes, I do.
Maybe, it might not.

Money pays for tools, plant, vehicles, insurance, materials, rent, food, holidays.
Exposure pays for ??

Having people volunteer was fine, they were chosing to give up their time for a few days. No one in their right mind would be giving up their time and potentially thousands of pounds to do a millionaire a favour ffs. I don't mean to be rude, but its never going to happen that way. I love Hibs, but I wouldn't refurb an area they have already deemed too expensive, for nothing? Barking. With the current price of materials due to covid/brexit, it would bankrupt most people.

Back on topic as this isn't what the thread was about. It would be good to see Hibs use the space. It used to be a pretty decent restraunt did it not?

jacomo
02-02-2022, 04:11 PM

I’m going to agree with you here. We’re clearly going down a more commercially driven road with Ron at the wheel. That’s fine, but it does mean we will look to him to make the investment, rather than getting stuff done through community initiatives.

Investing in an on site bar seems a no brainier to me. Spend some money to do it properly and it would surely be a money earner.

JimBHibees
02-02-2022, 04:14 PM
Does seem a huge opportunity missed.

stuart-farquhar
02-02-2022, 04:24 PM
You make a well argue case for someone (C. E. O? ) to have another look at this situation, you mention America as an example the only thing I would say is that there people turn up up hours early, in their cars with access to a large parking area surrounding the stadium, they can then picnic.
I'm disappointed that Leeann showed little interest in your suggestions as they sound like a good starting point.

Not always. Loads of stadia I've attended have a city environment and bars abound nearby. Plus of course
bars and restaurants in abundance in the stadium itself.

Irish_Steve
02-02-2022, 05:39 PM
Ask Scorpio Leisure to take it over on match days???

w pilton hibby
02-02-2022, 06:00 PM
I’m going to agree with you here. We’re clearly going down a more commercially driven road with Ron at the wheel. That’s fine, but it does mean we will look to him to make the investment, rather than getting stuff done through community initiatives.

Investing in an on site bar seems a no brainier to me. Spend some money to do it properly and it would surely be a money earner.

Investing in a bar before Covid was a huge gamble as pubs were closing all over the country as they were losing money.

Investing in a bar which would open some 30 times a year post pandemic which has already hugely affected the licensed trade would be a very very big gamble.

Don't see it happening.

Glory Lurker
02-02-2022, 06:05 PM
You can be absolutely sure that if there's a way to refurb and trade it at a profit then it will happen. Until then there is no point in it.

Lago
02-02-2022, 06:09 PM
Not always. Loads of stadia I've attended have a city environment and bars abound nearby. Plus of course
bars and restaurants in abundance in the stadium itself.
Your second point is well made and one of the reasons Spurs new stadium was designed with that in mind, not sue ER lends itself to extent.

Carheenlea
02-02-2022, 07:23 PM

St Johnstone have a decent lounge within stand open to visiting fans (albeit not since Covid for away supporters), but recently we’ve been in a big bar within Livingstons ground and The Davie Cooper Lounge at Fir Park which is also open to away supporters.

None of those are on the scale of what BTG was, and we didn’t permit visiting supporters. The queue to get in on match days just proved how popular the place was. As you say it was more to do with the handiness of location more so than the appeal of a pretty soulless big box, but it’s a facility that’s missed.

silverhibee
02-02-2022, 08:05 PM
Can't imagine you'd get many folk wanting to sit in BTG on a Friday night. It's not a particularly nice setting, it's just very convenient for match days.

It was used for parties and other events, I had my Dads wake back at the FF stand.

Top floor is meant to be in some state, pigeons taken over and seemingly roof has collapsed in, it’s more than a lick of paint needed.

dp00
02-02-2022, 09:56 PM
It was used for parties and other events, I had my Dads wake back at the FF stand.

Top floor is meant to be in some state, pigeons taken over and seemingly roof has collapsed in, it’s more than a lick of paint needed.

If it’s in such a state surely would be questions why the stand is still being used ? But also surely longer we leave it the more expensive it’s going to get

ahibby
02-02-2022, 10:16 PM
If it’s in such a state surely would be questions why the stand is still being used ? But also surely longer we leave it the more expensive it’s going to get

Perhaps the fans survey will prompt reopening after renovation

NAE NOOKIE
02-02-2022, 10:59 PM

I find this hard to believe ... why in the name of actual **** would Hibs spend ... what half a million quid? ... on big screens and at the same time let part of the stadium get into such a state that by the sound of what you are saying its a baw hair away from being nothing less than willfully neglected to the point that its structurally unsound, at least on the inside?

If what you say is true then perhaps it is time to see if a group of fans are willing to take it on. As supporters Easter Road isn't just a building to us, it is to use a cliche that's been worn to death our spiritual home. FFS you see folk get bent out of shape at weeds outside the FF and grass growing through the artificial turf around the pitch.

If the FF is in the state you claim somebody at ER needs a giant kick up the arse and action taken to remedy it quick bloody smart :fuming:

jacomo
02-02-2022, 10:59 PM
Investing in a bar before Covid was a huge gamble as pubs were closing all over the country as they were losing money.

Investing in a bar which would open some 30 times a year post pandemic which has already hugely affected the licensed trade would be a very very big gamble.

Don't see it happening.

That’s very true. And now building costs are rocketing.

I still think it would be a good venture if done right though.

Ozyhibby
03-02-2022, 12:12 AM
I don’t know much about the pub industry but paying for a fit out and running a pub only open 20 days a year for about 5/6 hours each time must be a challenge economically?

Baader
03-02-2022, 12:36 AM
Was in hospitality on Saturday and this was mentioned with our host, who was excellent. The club are very much run as an American business model now, to nobody's surprise. No profit, no point in doing it. Refurbishing a bar when there were no punters allowed in wasn't going to happen. If it can make the club money I'd imagine it'll reopen. With all the facilities at ER, it was mentioned how one of the problems is how little they are used throughout the year. Running costs and overheads for bars that aren't getting used most of the time. Expect that to change maybe..

Jones28
03-02-2022, 09:20 AM
What Behind the Goals was missing for me was efficient service, especially in the kid friendly bit on the first floor. You had a venue that could host several hundred people at once running 2 miniscule bars manned by 2 people each - and when a barrel needed changed it would slow down further still. It was crying out for one long bar at one end of the space with plenty of taps for the usual tipples and and everything else in bottles, and the big screen at the other end showing games. Big games meant arriving and often a queue to get in, a queue snaking right to the door for the bar and more often than not having to camp somewhere as the tables were all taken.

Even if they turned around and said its a bottle/can bar only so's to prevent any waste of stock I find it really hard to believe there isn't any money to be made out of it.

I would have much smaller tables so everyone could get one and a seat along with it; with either one big bar at the end of the space or several little satellite bars dotted around the place; a booking system so you could guarantee entry and a table and offer some space to the likes of La Favourita to come and flog pizzas so it would entice people to the stadium for their lunch.

I'm sure RG said we want to offer people the chance to come to the ground early and spend their money at ER rather than elsewhere and that's all good as fair as I'm concerned.

stuart-farquhar
03-02-2022, 09:31 AM
What Behind the Goals was missing for me was efficient service, especially in the kid friendly bit on the first floor. You had a venue that could host several hundred people at once running 2 miniscule bars manned by 2 people each - and when a barrel needed changed it would slow down further still. It was crying out for one long bar at one end of the space with plenty of taps for the usual tipples and and everything else in bottles, and the big screen at the other end showing games. Big games meant arriving and often a queue to get in, a queue snaking right to the door for the bar and more often than not having to camp somewhere as the tables were all taken.

Even if they turned around and said its a bottle/can bar only so's to prevent any waste of stock I find it really hard to believe there isn't any money to be made out of it.

I would have much smaller tables so everyone could get one and a seat along with it; with either one big bar at the end of the space or several little satellite bars dotted around the place; a booking system so you could guarantee entry and a table and offer some space to the likes of La Favourita to come and flog pizzas so it would entice people to the stadium for their lunch.

I'm sure RG said we want to offer people the chance to come to the ground early and spend their money at ER rather than elsewhere and that's all good as fair as I'm concerned.

Agreed. Loads of ways to operate and keep fans happy.

Not everyone wants a tablecloth dining experience. Bottle bar including fruit based drinks for the ladies.

Waste of space at the moment.

Pretty Boy
03-02-2022, 09:40 AM
I don’t know much about the pub industry but paying for a fit out and running a pub only open 20 days a year for about 5/6 hours each time must be a challenge economically?

As I said above there must be merit in at least exploring something similar to what Hearts are doing with the Skyline. Open every Thursday to Sunday as a restaurant. If we could use the FF Stand as a bar on match days and as a carvery type place every Sunday that might work, open non Saturday match days and Friday evenings offering something more a la carte as well.

The Skyline was a bit niche at 1st but I have spoken with an increasing number of non Hearts and even non football fans who have gone along on the back of the positive reviews and enjoyed it. Tripadvisor reviews seem to suggest the offering is good and a lot of reviews now mention that people shouldn't be put off because it's in a football stadium because as non football fans the reviewers enjoyed it.

If it's something that can be made to work by them then I fail to see why it would be a total flop that hemorrhaged money for us. I get that it's probably not a priority but there is so much wasted space in football grounds that could be used as revenue drivers.

Gloucester Hibs
03-02-2022, 10:12 AM
Could there be something to be learned from Newcastle's Nine Bar (previously Shearer's Bar?) It's open 7 days a week and is a massive sports bar built into St James Park, been on the go for close to 20 years now so they must be doing something right. They have the advantage of SJP being slap bang in the centre of Newcastle so makes attracting footfall on non-match days much easier. Maybe Easter Road is too much "off the beaten track" to ever make this work?

CapitalGreen
03-02-2022, 10:31 AM
I find this hard to believe ... why in the name of actual **** would Hibs spend ... what half a million quid? ... on big screens and at the same time let part of the stadium get into such a state that by the sound of what you are saying its a baw hair away from being nothing less than willfully neglected to the point that its structurally unsound, at least on the inside?

If what you say is true then perhaps it is time to see if a group of fans are willing to take it on. As supporters Easter Road isn't just a building to us, it is to use a cliche that's been worn to death our spiritual home. FFS you see folk get bent out of shape at weeds outside the FF and grass growing through the artificial turf around the pitch.

If the FF is in the state you claim somebody at ER needs a giant kick up the arse and action taken to remedy it quick bloody smart :fuming:

Crazy to think that the person ultimately responsible for it falling into disrepair is is now overseeing the development of a new Stadium at Lesser Hampden.

Since90+2
03-02-2022, 10:49 AM
Patrick also have a bar in the main stand IIRC. It's nothing fancy or exactly huge but it's handy for a drink beforehand.

If they can manage it I really don't see why Hibs can't do similar.

Edinburgh Green
03-02-2022, 11:32 AM
Could there be something to be learned from Newcastle's Nine Bar (previously Shearer's Bar?) It's open 7 days a week and is a massive sports bar built into St James Park, been on the go for close to 20 years now so they must be doing something right. They have the advantage of SJP being slap bang in the centre of Newcastle so makes attracting footfall on non-match days much easier. Maybe Easter Road is too much "off the beaten track" to ever make this work?

Think you've answered your own question there. SJP is pretty much city centre which allows it to be open all week. Location of ER scuppers that.

GreenCastle
03-02-2022, 11:40 AM
Could they update it to a community bar and cafe / restaurant?

During the day - fans can get tea / coffee / lunch and evenings use it as a bar or open as a restaurant like Hearts for a few nights a week.

I’ve been to several sports bars - some have been really well run with the screens and service.

The match days will take care of themselves but the day time would be a place for Hibs fans in the community to visit and meet others etc.

Easter Road is crying out for a fans type bar pre match and if they want fans at the stadium earlier surely this could be sorted.

The design of the hospitality boxes could be looked at too - would be expensive to remove the glass etc but maybe could be options to open it up and get fans back in these spaces.

Could they get a company to help with refurbishment and in return give them sponsorship for X amount of time ?

Edinburgh Green
03-02-2022, 11:57 AM
As I said above there must be merit in at least exploring something similar to what Hearts are doing with the Skyline. Open every Thursday to Sunday as a restaurant. If we could use the FF Stand as a bar on match days and as a carvery type place every Sunday that might work, open non Saturday match days and Friday evenings offering something more a la carte as well.

The Skyline was a bit niche at 1st but I have spoken with an increasing number of non Hearts and even non football fans who have gone along on the back of the positive reviews and enjoyed it. Tripadvisor reviews seem to suggest the offering is good and a lot of reviews now mention that people shouldn't be put off because it's in a football stadium because as non football fans the reviewers enjoyed it.

If it's something that can be made to work by them then I fail to see why it would be a total flop that hemorrhaged money for us. I get that it's probably not a priority but there is so much wasted space in football grounds that could be used as revenue drivers.

I've been to the Skyline restaurant. Went with an open mind but it was very very average. I genuinely can't think of a non Hearts fan enjoying it. The menu looked pretty good however the execution wasn't great, food was pretty bland and for the prices they're charging i'd expect a lot more. As for the venue itself, it's pretty much like eating in any other vast hospitality area, not very intimate.

WhileTheChief..
03-02-2022, 12:21 PM
Nobody is going to go to ER on a Tuesday morning for a coffee and scone.

Wrong location, wrong setting, wrong idea.

Been said many times already, but on a matchday you're only talking a couple of hours at most that it's open. No way are hundreds of people kicking about after the game until 8 or 9 having a bevvy there.

The comparison with games in the USA doesn't apply here either.

They make a day of it. We turn up from 2.50 and leave before the final whistle in a lot of cases.

There's not nearly enough people wanting what a few on here want.

RyeSloan
03-02-2022, 12:42 PM
Nobody is going to go to ER on a Tuesday morning for a coffee and scone.

Wrong location, wrong setting, wrong idea.

Been said many times already, but on a matchday you're only talking a couple of hours at most that it's open. No way are hundreds of people kicking about after the game until 8 or 9 having a bevvy there.

The comparison with games in the USA doesn't apply here either.

They make a day of it. We turn up from 2.50 and leave before the final whistle in a lot of cases.

There's not nearly enough people wanting what a few on here want.

Largely correct.

The FF also did used to have a restaurant and stuff in it (Forth View?) after it opened but it never lasted long.

Making money out of such things is very difficult, even golf clubs with a captive audience can struggle to turn a profit on their catering.

That said it MUST be possible to make a few quid out of a bar on match days, especially as people are not exactly asking for the Earth here.

It seems a big part of the problem is the investment required to bring the facilities back up to scratch…another gift from Leanne. Seems criminal that it was allowed to go to rack n ruin.

Still Ron was big on the match day experience and clearly that involves grabbing a beer or two at the stadium (esp. in a kid friendly way) for a lot of folk so hopefully this is something they are listening on and will come up with some solutions.

GreenCastle
03-02-2022, 12:48 PM
Have they extended the hospitality in West Stand?

I heard the plan was to do this and move the staff offices to the FF.

That was a few months ago - so not sure if still the plan.

Is there zero hospitality currently in FF stand ?

Speedy
03-02-2022, 12:54 PM

The big screens are essentially advertising boards that occasionally show football, rather than the other way round. If they've done their numbers right then it should pay for itself.

WhileTheChief..
03-02-2022, 01:02 PM
That said it MUST be possible to make a few quid out of a bar on match days, especially as people are not exactly asking for the Earth here.

Staffing is the biggest issue.

Hibs aren't going to employ anyone for this, way too expensive for a role for a few hours a fortnight.

That means using a contractor. Expensive. And when a game gets moved for tv or postponed, we're still picking up the tab.

I'm happy to trust the number crunchers at the club on this one. If it was a no brainer and easy to make cash we would be doing it.

bigwheel
03-02-2022, 01:06 PM

Hibs aren't going to employ anyone for this, way too expensive for a role for a few hours a fortnight.

That means using a contractor. Expensive. And when a game gets moved for tv or postponed, we're still picking up the tab.

I'm happy to trust the number crunchers at the club on this one. If it was a no brainer and easy to make cash we would be doing it.

Apologies if it’s been covered ….Apparently the old regime let the maintenance go in this part of the stadium, and it would now take quite a bit of work to get it fully functional again …

RyeSloan
03-02-2022, 02:05 PM

Yeah I get that, staffing a part time bar of this ilk would be awkward.

Still if you went to a bottle only type approach you really wouldn’t need that many staff and could be punting the bottles out for a fair few quid a time.

And finally I suppose it doesn’t really have to be a huge revenue maker (to start with at least). And while I doubt Ron is overly interested in loss making ventures there is an argument that as long as it could wash its face money wise then it’s a fan bar for the fans and gives another wee focal point to the fabled ‘match day experience’.

I suspect though that it’s more the state of the place that’s the problem and getting back into service as a fans bar would take too much capital to ever make sense.

As another poster suggested it was mooted that the main stand would be used more for further hospitality and the FF refurbed for offices…that might be a more sensible approach cash wise.

Regardless if it was me I’d build a multi storey mega bar in the corner between FF and East with a huge neon lit Hibs badge on the outside and floor to ceiling windows inside for views of the pitch. Would it make money? Who knows but it would be cool as **** [emoji2957]

NAE NOOKIE
03-02-2022, 02:05 PM

The Hibs supporters club has been running for decades ..... Hibs should build a new one to replace Sunnyside in the FF / East corner attach it to the FF stand and hand it all over lock stock and barrel to the HSC for nothing. No it wouldn't make the club a profit, but at least it would make the stadium look like it was being used and it would be getting run by folk who clearly know how to keep stuff like that going :greengrin

Mick O'Rourke
03-02-2022, 02:17 PM

Still if you went to a bottle only type approach you really wouldn’t need that many staff and could be punting the bottles out for a fair few quid a time.

And finally I suppose it doesn’t really have to be a huge revenue maker (to start with at least). And while I doubt Ron is overly interested in loss making ventures there is an argument that as long as it could wash its face money wise then it’s a fan bar for the fans and gives another wee focal point to the fabled ‘match day experience’.

I suspect though that it’s more the state of the place that’s the problem and getting back into service as a fans bar would take too much capital to ever make sense.

As another poster suggested it was mooted that the main stand would be used more for further hospitality and the FF refurbed for offices…that might be a more sensible approach cash wise.

Regardless if it was me I’d build a multi storey mega bar in the corner between FF and East with a huge neon lit Hibs badge on the outside and floor to ceiling windows inside for views of the pitch. Would it make money? Who knows but it would be cool as **** [emoji2957]

But would it have a view of the Castle? :cb

Iain G
03-02-2022, 02:21 PM
Interesting you should mention them:wink:

Open a small brewery operation in the stand and make beer exclusively for Hibs? There must be the space in the bowels of the stand for a small batch kinda beer set up? And augment with their standard range! Can also sell cans for take away perhaps? Pilot or Campervan or Bellfield!

Coach Jon
03-02-2022, 02:44 PM

I cant see how staffing should be an issue, we manage to have staff at the numerous food and drink outlets, are we making a loss there too?

WhileTheChief..
03-02-2022, 02:45 PM

With you all the way here. Would be tremendous :aok:

Just Alf
03-02-2022, 05:51 PM

Regardless if it was me I’d build a multi storey mega bar in the corner between FF and East with a huge neon lit Hibs badge on the outside and floor to ceiling windows inside for views of the pitch. Would it make money? Who knows but it would be cool as **** [emoji2957]I like your thinking at the end there! :greengrin

Real Emerald
03-02-2022, 06:10 PM
No football club wants to lose money on such a venture but having a place like BTG was a great facility for fans and initially an incentive for people to buy STs.

There were loads used it as a stop off point before the game especially for people with kids and the less mobile. Folk could get in early, drop people off and get parked near. For some I’m sure if it wasn’t for that option available they probably wouldn’t go.

It doesn’t necessarily need to make money but if it could break even and attract a few more ST sales it would be great. Even an annual membership fee would be fine.

The bar was woefully run as I’m sure we all know. I’m sure there are loads out there with good bar experience that are flexible enough who could have made it much better. Given the right incentive, there must be a way to run a bar better and probably double the sales they had.

It’s such a shame a huge space like this has been left to rot and go to waste. I don’t think LD was ever interested in providing facilities like this for Hibs fans. Shame

BroxburnHibee
03-02-2022, 07:15 PM
Nae wonder it lost money, the service was 5hit and massive queues that took ages to get served.
All it needs is a few volunteers tae do it up, the club to donate a bit and someone to cover the costs of start up. I would be interested to learn just how much it would cost to tidy up.

Close it 15 mins before the game starts, put doors in leading from the FF that can be opened at KO so you could have access for food during the game. How difficult could it be. Best of both worlds?
A bar before the game, a food kiosk during then a bar after.

Biggest problem was the time it took to serve you.

What they need is some of these bad boys....

https://youtu.be/wiu_IX14wLI

Hibeesforever
03-02-2022, 07:25 PM
BTG is a great resource for fans before and should be after the game...really poor from the club what is happening to the facility. I used it regularly with my young children.

Sir David Gray
03-02-2022, 07:49 PM
I've been to the Skyline restaurant. Went with an open mind but it was very very average. I genuinely can't think of a non Hearts fan enjoying it. The menu looked pretty good however the execution wasn't great, food was pretty bland and for the prices they're charging i'd expect a lot more. As for the venue itself, it's pretty much like eating in any other vast hospitality area, not very intimate.

My partner's parents went a couple of months ago (dad a Celtic season ticket holder and mum with no affiliation so no love of Hearts) and they loved it.

They're trying to convince me to go at some point but they're fighting a losing battle there.

SaulGoodman
04-02-2022, 09:02 AM
Sell Drey Wright and fund BTG with his wages

linlithgowhibbie
04-02-2022, 09:05 AM
Sell Drey Wright and fund BTG with his wages

We have the solution!:thumbsup:

silverhibee
04-02-2022, 12:31 PM

This just didn’t happen overnight, it was in this state under Farmer/Petrie/Dempster watch, I’m sure this was why the big chat about getting the NHS to come in but I believe the club wanted the NHS to sort it all for the club and after talks the NHS walked away from discussion’s and it was left to rot since then, can’t remember how much this stand cost but it was STF pet project with chandeliers and looking lovely but that regime didn’t bother to keep it maintained and now it’s in a nasty state.

silverhibee
04-02-2022, 12:32 PM
Crazy to think that the person ultimately responsible for it falling into disrepair is is now overseeing the development of a new Stadium at Lesser Hampden.

.Sean.
04-02-2022, 01:46 PM
This just didn’t happen overnight, it was in this state under Farmer/Petrie/Dempster watch, I’m sure this was why the big chat about getting the NHS to come in but I believe the club wanted the NHS to sort it all for the club and after talks the NHS walked away from discussion’s and it was left to rot since then, can’t remember how much this stand cost but it was STF pet project with chandeliers and looking lovely but that regime didn’t bother to keep it maintained and now it’s in a nasty state.
How bad are we talking SH? Is this related to the issues as to why the stands behind the goals were shut previously? Unless I’m tripping I’m sure the F5 was closed for at least one European tie due to an urgent structural issue and was there not talk about safety certificates?

Irish_Steve
04-02-2022, 01:53 PM
How bad are we talking SH? Is this related to the issues at to why the stands behind the goals were shut previously? Unless I’m tripping I’m sure the F5 was closed for at least one European tie due to an urgent structural issue and was there not talk about safety certificates?

You are correct, the F5 was closed for one of the European games, if not both. Luckily for the club, we were still under restricted crowds (5,000) so only the East and West were open

dp00
04-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Am I correct in thinking that we were still using BTG up until before covid hit ?

Surely had it been properly maintained like the rest of the stadium/facilities other pubs during the down time then the cost of setting back up would be minimal ?

Sir David Gray
04-02-2022, 03:28 PM
Am I correct in thinking that we were still using BTG up until before covid hit ?

Surely had it been properly maintained like the rest of the stadium/facilities other pubs during the down time then the cost of setting back up would be minimal ?

Yes we were using it until the pandemic - I was in there for our last home game before the league was stopped which was the derby on 03/03/20.

hibbyfraelibby
04-02-2022, 03:34 PM
Have they extended the hospitality in West Stand?

I heard the plan was to do this and move the staff offices to the FF.

That was a few months ago - so not sure if still the plan.

Is there zero hospitality currently in FF stand ?

I heard they are gutting the South Stand first to move all the offices there and then they are going to gut the West Stand to expand the Hostility areas.

Would seem the internal works in those two stands are ahead of the FF/BTG which logically would follow before wee Ron builds the mezzanine in the East linked to the new hotel in the corner😉

CapitalGreen
04-02-2022, 03:35 PM

Covid didn’t help but this isn’t an issue caused by covid, the issues and lack of sufficient maintenance started long before Covid hit.

hughio
04-02-2022, 03:49 PM

Nakedmanoncrack
04-02-2022, 05:20 PM
I heard they are gutting the South Stand first to move all the offices there and then they are going to gut the West Stand to expand the Hostility areas.

Would seem the internal works in those two stands are ahead of the FF/BTG which logically would follow before wee Ron builds the mezzanine in the East linked to the new hotel in the corner😉

I like the idea of Hostility areas👍🏻

Renfrew_Hibby
04-02-2022, 06:06 PM
It'll be 30 years old soon. Knock it down, replace it with a basic single tier safe standing stand. Make it wider and bring it closer to the pitch. It would really enclose that end of the ground and add a few hundred to the capacity. Maybe keep the (new) shop below it
Offices in the south, increased hospitality in the west.
That leaves the NW corner where you could have basic matchday facilities. Bars big screens, kids stuff whatever you want. Basically just build a big shed, an enclosed space and you can do what you like in it. Think a mini SECC in Glasgow.
Pie in the sky stuff I know but I'm just chucking ideas out there.

silverhibee
04-02-2022, 07:53 PM
How bad are we talking SH? Is this related to the issues as to why the stands behind the goals were shut previously? Unless I’m tripping I’m sure the F5 was closed for at least one European tie due to an urgent structural issue and was there not talk about safety certificates?

I was told it was a mess a few years ago Sean, , player I know done a interview in the stand and was shown upstairs, he said it was covered in birds mess tiles were all down from roof and in disrepair, he couldn’t believe how bad it was looking, he wouldn’t know about structural damage but if it has just been left to rot for several years then who knows what state it is in now, Leeann tried to get NHS come in and do all the work but that broke down and it all went quiet after that., looks like Mr Farmer wasn’t ponying up to get it sorted himself.

davhibby
04-02-2022, 07:57 PM

That’s going as well as the supposed state of our stadium would suggest. I know some QP fans and they’ve basically spent the last year telling how much of a disaster LD has been so far.

.Sean.
04-02-2022, 08:04 PM
I was told it was a mess a few years ago Sean, , player I know done a interview in the stand and was shown upstairs, he said it was covered in birds mess tiles were all down from roof and in disrepair, he couldn’t believe how bad it was looking, he wouldn’t know about structural damage but if it has just been left to rot for several years then who knows what state it is in now, Leeann tried to get NHS come in and do all the work but that broke down and it all went quiet after that., looks like Mr Farmer wasn’t ponying up to get it sorted himself.
That’s outrageous, you wouldn’t let your house get in that state through sheer negligence

3pm
04-02-2022, 08:20 PM
HSL should rent it. 🍺🤑

Hibeesforever
04-02-2022, 08:26 PM
Need some crowd funding, disgrace the facilities are in such disrepair....

Jones28
04-02-2022, 08:41 PM
Need some crowd funding, disgrace the facilities are in such disrepair....

As much as I want to see BTG re incarnated I really don’t think fans should be expected to foot the bill. It’s not the fans that have let the facilities decay like that.

silverhibee
04-02-2022, 08:46 PM
That’s outrageous, you wouldn’t let your house get in that state through sheer negligence

Our owner and Leeann obviously knew how bad it was and STF wasn’t prepared to put his money in to get it sorted, we’re hoping someone else would do it for them, not good at all.

cameronw-hfc
04-02-2022, 08:56 PM
My dad use to be the one in charge of the games section and setting it up/making sure no adults brought drink over with kids so I basically grew up going there from the age of 6-18/19 every Saturday and the slow and gradual decline was depressing.

Use to come in and would need to be quick to get our pies and drink before the crowds hit and it would be packed even on rubbish crowds. Great atmosphere with the tv on the projector down the bottom and the more family-friendly section up the top. It just got less and less attention.

Use to remember every few weeks they would get visits before games from the odd player/youth player to sign autographs for the kids. Was a great place to be before a game for a while.

Hibeesforever
04-02-2022, 09:09 PM
My dad use to be the one in charge of the games section and setting it up/making sure no adults brought drink over with kids so I basically grew up going there from the age of 6-18/19 every Saturday and the slow and gradual decline was depressing.

Use to come in and would need to be quick to get our pies and drink before the crowds hit and it would be packed even on rubbish crowds. Great atmosphere with the tv on the projector down the bottom and the more family-friendly section up the top. It just got less and less attention.

Use to remember every few weeks they would get visits before games from the odd player/youth player to sign autographs for the kids. Was a great place to be before a game for a while.
Thats how I remember it, we need to get some fans rep to convey this to Ron....

jacomo
04-02-2022, 09:43 PM

Shearers bar was too much. Like a sort of football themed night club, blasting out chart anthems.

stuart-farquhar
04-02-2022, 10:43 PM
I genuinely had no idea how bad the FF had become.

I hope that it gets fixed up and open in some form soon.

Missed by many including me.

NAE NOOKIE
05-02-2022, 01:13 AM
It'll be 30 years old soon. Knock it down, replace it with a basic single tier safe standing stand. Make it wider and bring it closer to the pitch. It would really enclose that end of the ground and add a few hundred to the capacity. Maybe keep the (new) shop below it
Offices in the south, increased hospitality in the west.
That leaves the NW corner where you could have basic matchday facilities. Bars big screens, kids stuff whatever you want. Basically just build a big shed, an enclosed space and you can do what you like in it. Think a mini SECC in Glasgow.
Pie in the sky stuff I know but I'm just chucking ideas out there.

If the actual structure of the stand is sound I highly doubt Hibs would knock it down to build a new one, as you say it's only 30 years old so I doubt it is anywhere near the end of it's useful life so far as it's structural integrity is concerned. I know it was only a throwaway suggestion about a single tier stand so I'm not having a go at you for making it, truth is I would probably like that too .... But we all know what needs to be done with the FF lower and I for one wish they would get on with it.

Having said that, there is a wider issue here. Mothballing part of the stadium the club don't want to use is one thing, letting it fall into disrepair is quite another. I have so far not found any issues with Ron Gordon's ownership, but if the stadium starts falling down around us due to neglect then I will have a big issue with that. Even if that neglect started under the previous regime that doesn't in any way absolve Ron Gordon or the board of this club from a duty to sort it and keep the stadium in a sound state of repair internally and externally.

It also has to be stressed, as I did in another post on this thread but IMO it's worth repeating, that Ron Gordon has publicly said his aim is to get Hibs supporters using the stadium not just for 90 minutes, but in the hours before and after games .... That was stated as one of his main aims not long after taking control in the summer of 2019 but two and a half years down the line there is little or no evidence that any progress has been made, or in fact any real attempt at steps to make that aim a reality.
I appreciate that Covid may have played it's part in that, but even so we now appear to have entered a period where something close to normality so far as UK football crowds go is going to be maintained, short of some more dangerous new variant appearing.

So basically this part of Mr Gordon's grand plan far from being in progress has gone like this:

Food kiosks shut during some games, especially in the FF upper where I sit ... you only find that out after climbing 65 steps to get up there which is incredibly annoying when you are approaching 62 years of age.

Nothing whatsoever done ( as far as I am aware ) to upgrade the facilities in the west, which the first time I was in them around 5 years ago were far more basic than I ever imagined they would be, with not even Hibs themed artwork or pictures on the walls of the big rooms, on my next visit for the AGM two years ago they looked exactly the same, if not a little scruffier.

The one area of the stadium that was set up to attract ordinary fans before and ( at least for a short time ) after the game not only closed to supporters, but left to fall to pieces to the extent it will take major spending to simply bring them up to scratch, never mind lift them above the level of what BTG was in it's heyday.

So basically so far is this part of the new owners grand plan goes IE to get fans using the stadium and spending money in the hours before and after matches is concerned its a score of 0/10 .... Because when he took over at least we did have a supporters bar and now we don't even have that .... on that basis you could even score him minus 10 out of 10.

.Sean.
05-02-2022, 05:50 AM
If the actual structure of the stand is sound I highly doubt Hibs would knock it down to build a new one, as you say it's only 30 years old so I doubt it is anywhere near the end of it's useful life so far as it's structural integrity is concerned. I know it was only a throwaway suggestion about a single tier stand so I'm not having a go at you for making it, truth is I would probably like that too .... But we all know what needs to be done with the FF lower and I for one wish they would get on with it.

Having said that, there is a wider issue here. Mothballing part of the stadium the club don't want to use is one thing, letting it fall into disrepair is quite another. I have so far not found any issues with Ron Gordon's ownership, but if the stadium starts falling down around us due to neglect then I will have a big issue with that. Even if that neglect started under the previous regime that doesn't in any way absolve Ron Gordon or the board of this club from a duty to sort it and keep the stadium in a sound state of repair internally and externally.

It also has to be stressed, as I did in another post on this thread but IMO it's worth repeating, that Ron Gordon has publicly said his aim is to get Hibs supporters using the stadium not just for 90 minutes, but in the hours before and after games .... That was stated as one of his main aims not long after taking control in the summer of 2019 but two and a half years down the line there is little or no evidence that any progress has been made, or in fact any real attempt at steps to make that aim a reality.
I appreciate that Covid may have played it's part in that, but even so we now appear to have entered a period where something close to normality so far as UK football crowds go is going to be maintained, short of some more dangerous new variant appearing.

So basically this part of Mr Gordon's grand plan far from being in progress has gone like this:

Food kiosks shut during some games, especially in the FF upper where I sit ... you only find that out after climbing 65 steps to get up there which is incredibly annoying when you are approaching 62 years of age.

Nothing whatsoever done ( as far as I am aware ) to upgrade the facilities in the west, which the first time I was in them around 5 years ago were far more basic than I ever imagined they would be, with not even Hibs themed artwork or pictures on the walls of the big rooms, on my next visit for the AGM two years ago they looked exactly the same, if not a little scruffier.

The one area of the stadium that was set up to attract ordinary fans before and ( at least for a short time ) after the game not only closed to supporters, but left to fall to pieces to the extent it will take major spending to simply bring them up to scratch, never mind lift them above the level of what BTG was in it's heyday.

So basically so far is this part of the new owners grand plan goes IE to get fans using the stadium and spending money in the hours before and after matches is concerned its a score of 0/10 .... Because when he took over at least we did have a supporters bar and now we don't even have that .... on that basis you could even score him minus 10 out of 10.
Big screens though…:rolleyes:

GonzoReturns
05-02-2022, 06:06 AM
Few ways to look at it, could argue what was the point spending any money upgrading over the past couple of years when it’s use would have been extremely limited with ongoing restrictions. Alternatively that was the best time to do the work causing less disruption.
A more sinister view - part of the longer/shorter plan term to look to move/build a new ground elsewhere…what’s for sure the FF stand is an issue both internally and externally (Tuesday night typical empty seats).

Jones28
05-02-2022, 06:21 AM
Few ways to look at it, could argue what was the point spending any money upgrading over the past couple of years when it’s use would have been extremely limited with ongoing restrictions. Alternatively that was the best time to do the work causing less disruption.
A more sinister view - part of the longer/shorter plan term to look to move/build a new ground elsewhere…what’s for sure the FF stand is an issue both internally and externally (Tuesday night typical empty seats).

I’d stop thinking that right away. Save a whole lot of angst.

dp00
10-02-2022, 10:08 AM
Think we make a good point about upgrading , I’ve noticed a few clubs I’m sure it was livi most recently who upgraded there dressing rooms, media rooms ect , I can’t imagine there is much cost in that last time I visited ours all be it before covid ours looked like a school changing room

If the news regarding the famous five is correct then is does beg the question on why are we installing screens , tannoys ect at a fairly large cost when actually the stadium needs refreshing and upgrading

Unseen work
10-02-2022, 10:15 AM

They’ve said a couple of times it would actually cost quite a significant amount to get it back to a certain condition that people could come back in.

Then the day to day business of it was actually costing them money.

Chucking money at something with no sign of any returns is stupid imo.

Hopefully the manage to think of something that would justify the cost as it is good before a match day.