PDA

View Full Version : Nisbet

Diclonius
02-02-2022, 09:42 AM
Worked very hard again, just lacking confidence in front of goal right now.

Felt more upset for him than with him when he missed the half chance right at the end. You could see how frustrated he was with himself.

Dazzjw1875
02-02-2022, 09:50 AM
I think he is trying to hard to score! Only thing I would say about last night is his touch Let him down a couple times.

Shrekko
02-02-2022, 09:50 AM

Felt more upset for him than with him when he missed the half chance right at the end. You could see how frustrated he was with himself.

He's playing well now - needs to find other ways to try and score than always trying to open up on his right foot and pass in to the corner though.

I've been a big critic but it's mainly because of the obvious talent he has- very enigmatic. Should be our main guy at the moment though so hopefully finds his shooting boots.

Smartie
02-02-2022, 09:57 AM

Yep, exactly how I saw it.

I've been critical of him but he looks just now like he's doing exactly what he needs to do - he's working his backside off to get going again and when he's doing that you can have no complaints.

It's not happening for him right now in front of goal and his confidence does look shot but there are no obvious attitude issues - and that hasn't always looked the case to me.

He's gone back from being a player I'd hope Hibs would get rid of to one I'm rooting for to turn it around.

Ryan91
02-02-2022, 10:00 AM
Worked his butt off last night, and was a contender for MOTM in my eyes

hibeejeebies
02-02-2022, 10:09 AM
He's playing well now - needs to find other ways to try and score than always trying to open up on his right foot and pass in to the corner though.

Definitely mate, thought the same last night.

Alfred E Newman
02-02-2022, 10:12 AM
Agree. I thought he was excellent last night the miss at the end looked worse at the game but the highlights show that the Hearts defender was right on top of him.

Hibbyradge
02-02-2022, 10:14 AM

I've been a big critic but it's mainly because of the obvious talent he has- very enigmatic. Should be our main guy at the moment though so hopefully finds his shooting boots.

His last goal, against Cove, was with his left foot.

number9dream
02-02-2022, 10:14 AM

Much better coming from deeper and facing the goals - and you're right about him telegraphing the shot across the keeper coming in from the left - first minute at Fir Park and again last night. If he's not going to use his weaker foot or give it the early toe-bash treatment, how about nudging the ball inside with the outside of his right to take out the covering defender then there's more of the goal to aim for. Easy for me to say from my couch, but something a coach should be mentioning surely?

Real Emerald
02-02-2022, 10:15 AM

I think he needs to get his shots away quicker, if he watches some of Griffith goals and how early he takes a shot rather than trying to set it up perfectly and losing the chance. His all round game has improved the last few games though. Hopefully he’ll start scoring soon.

Capt Mainwaring
02-02-2022, 10:23 AM
He’s worked hard last couple of games. No issues for me with his effort and work rate

I only wish he would take a chance in shooting more with his left foot rather than cut in on his right

Confident his goals will come

Broken Gnome
02-02-2022, 10:25 AM

Said this on another thread, but if you look at Nisbet's starting position and where Sibbick's block ended up he'd have had a tap in if he'd just stayed still.

No idea why he followed the cross and basically made a beeline to Henderson. Presume he never got a shout. Annoying.

Winston Ingram
02-02-2022, 10:38 AM
I'd genuinely love to sit with one of you who thought he played well last night and have you point out what it is he's actually doing well. I thought rubbish again.

His performance wasn't at his usual rotten level but it was nowhere near the level we need.

Broken Gnome
02-02-2022, 10:41 AM
I'd genuinely love to sit with one of you who thought he played well last night and have you point out what it is he's actually doing well. I thought rubbish again.

His performance wasn't at his usual rotten level but it was nowhere near the level we need.

I thought his first half was near enough on the level he showed on Saturday, early chance and the run where he got crowded out being two obvious ones where he could've done better.

Second half little came off for him, made poorer decisions, often turned into trouble.

Onceinawhile
02-02-2022, 10:41 AM
Worked hard, but he gave the ball away countless times and was responsible for a number of our attacking moves breaking down.

Totally lost his touch since maloney came in.

Winston Ingram
02-02-2022, 10:45 AM
Worked hard, but he gave the ball away countless times and was responsible for a number of our attacking moves breaking down.

Totally lost his touch since maloney came in.

He lost his touch well before Maloney came in.

Ozyhibby
02-02-2022, 10:53 AM
Think he’s playing well and if Murller works out in the role he played last night, Nisbet won’t have to come so deep all the time. That will allow him to play higher up the pitch and the goals will follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrekko
02-02-2022, 11:04 AM
His last goal, against Cove, was with his left foot.

He didn't have the option of doing what I was talking about for the chance did he?

Are you saying he doesn't regularly try the move I'm talking about?

Hibbyradge
02-02-2022, 11:08 AM
He didn't have the option of doing what I was talking about for the chance did he?

Are you saying he doesn't regularly try the move I'm talking about?

I'm not saying anything other than his last goal was with his left. Lot's of folk saying he won't use it.

I know what you mean and I agree, it's frustrating because it looks like he's missing opportunities, but I'm not sure it's as simple as that.

E.g. when he came in from the left and tried to put it on his right, his angle was difficult and Gordon had it well covered.

Steve88
02-02-2022, 11:08 AM
Perhaps following on from the OP, but does anyone else think when it comes to shooting and/or that final through ball he is so overly casual with it...

Since SM has come in I do think Nisbet has been fantastic - I can see him and the Norwegian striker causing alot of damage together..

seanshow
02-02-2022, 11:10 AM
Hes still relatively young, but when when you are a Scotland squad member and the club's main striker we need more from him especially in big games when you are expected to rise above the rest of the players.
It's not just the chances and shots, he is making the wrong decisions in possession time after time which is worrying.

Waxy
02-02-2022, 11:13 AM
Perhaps following on from the OP, but does anyone else think when it comes to shooting and/or that final through ball he is so overly casual with it...

Since SM has come in I do think Nisbet has been fantastic - I can see him and the Norwegian striker causing alot of damage together..
He does but he gets a bit a bit snatchy too.Needs to work on hitting the target.

Smartie
02-02-2022, 11:16 AM

He was good out of possession - pressing, harrying, forcing mistakes and pulling defenders around. That hasn't always been the case this season.

He was average in possession - occasionally keeping it and moving it on nicely, occasionally losing it.

He was dreadful in front of goal, poor decision making, taking too long over shots, trying too hard to work it onto the comfortable sidefoot with the right, ballooned one miles over under pressure.

paddy1875
02-02-2022, 11:25 AM
Somebody needs to tell him to just get the laces through the ball if there’s a slight chance of getting a shot away.

Looks like he’s overthinking everything or trying to be to clever

Shrekko
02-02-2022, 11:30 AM
I'm not saying anything other than his last goal was with his left. Lot's of folk saying he won't use it.

I know what you mean and I agree, it's frustrating because it looks like he's missing opportunities, but I'm not sure it's as simple as that.

E.g. when he came in from the left and tried to put it on his right, his angle was difficult and Gordon had it well covered.

When the angle is bad a lot of top strikers just rap it with a quick release and make sure it's hard and on target. You just never know what might happen.

I know teaching a player to be clinical is hard when finishing is probably a very instinctive thing but surely they can have him working on making ugly goals more of a possibility? He's a cracking player in a lot of ways but that casual style he has where he always seems to want too much time is making him quite predictable and easy to defend against. Definitely a guy who a good coach could surely improve with all the raw attributes he has?

Sioux
02-02-2022, 11:32 AM
Quite strange that someone might be regarded as fit for a MoM award just because he tried hard.

He doesn't even look like scoring. He's paid as a striker, to score goals, or create them, he fails that exam.

Winston Ingram
02-02-2022, 11:55 AM
He was good out of possession - pressing, harrying, forcing mistakes and pulling defenders around. That hasn't always been the case this season.

He was average in possession - occasionally keeping it and moving it on nicely, occasionally losing it.

He was dreadful in front of goal, poor decision making, taking too long over shots, trying too hard to work it onto the comfortable sidefoot with the right, ballooned one miles over under pressure.

I'd say this is fair though i think he still could've worked harder.

He's played worse for us but it was by no means a good performance by him.

02-02-2022, 12:01 PM

Defo lacking confidence. Him and others are guilty of taking an extra touch when they don't have time and should be shooting 1st time. Does my head in that I can see the defender will get a foot in if the shot isn't hit straight away but our player can't. Hopefully a goal or two on Saturday and 3 points will get him back on track.

basehibby
02-02-2022, 12:04 PM
He put in a shift last night but seems to be plagued with poor decision making at the mo - maybe a confidence thing. He'll come good I reckon - support him!

Broken Gnome
02-02-2022, 12:08 PM
When the angle is bad a lot of top strikers just rap it with a quick release and make sure it's hard and on target. You just never know what might happen.

I know teaching a player to be clinical is hard when finishing is probably a very instinctive thing but surely they can have him working on making ugly goals more of a possibility? He's a cracking player in a lot of ways but that casual style he has where he always seems to want too much time is making him quite predictable and easy to defend against. Definitely a guy who a good coach could surely improve with all the raw attributes he has?

The goal that put us 2-0 up against Celtic last year (2-2 game) was just that type of goal. Left foot as well.

He can do it...

Hibee Mac
02-02-2022, 12:10 PM
I have no idea how anyone can praise his performance last night. He wasn't terrible but he was so far from being "good".

He gave the ball away countless times in that second half it was infuriating. Moves just seem to break down when the reach him at the minute, either with a poor pass, poor touch, trying to nutmeg/cut across someone or just running into trouble. And his finishing has just not been adequate for over a year now, I actually thought he was a great finisher when he first joined.

I thought there were some real stand out performers for us yesterday but Nisbet was nowhere near being one of them.

Tommy75
02-02-2022, 12:11 PM
I really like Nisbet and want him to do well but it's just not happening for him just now. He works hard I'll give him that, but I'm reluctant to give a player too much credit for working hard as players should be working hard every game. He's looking a bit slow and ponderous on the ball, as someone else said he really needs to try and find space like Griffiths used to do to get his shots away early. He's already shown he has the ability and technique. If his current form continues then I'd imagine Maloney will have a tricky decision to make in the summer.

J-C
02-02-2022, 12:17 PM

His last goal was a 2 yard tap in, folk are saying he should be taking the shots with his left, he takes too many touches trying to get it on his right.

Hibbyradge
02-02-2022, 12:17 PM

All good points.

02-02-2022, 12:22 PM

This is the closest to my assessment for last night. However I thought he was less than average in possession. A lot of our moves, particularly first half, broke down when he lost possession.
I can’t put all the blame on him for the teams lack of goals. Doidge is nowhere near the player he has been in the past. Neither of them are the type to bust a gut getting in front of their defenders either for headers or at the near or far posts and we don’t seem to have anyone at the moment who will do these things. The current midfield don’t contribute to our goals tally.
I do hope some of the new young signings make a difference in this respect but most of all I hope Nisbet and Doidge find their scoring touch quickly.

Franck Stanton
02-02-2022, 12:41 PM

Have to say I agree with you. Lost count of the times his first touch let him & the team down in promising attacks. Couldn't trap a bag of cement

B.H.F.C
02-02-2022, 01:18 PM
I think he was somewhere between good and poor last night.

He needs to be more of a threat.

hibeerealist
02-02-2022, 01:23 PM

I would willingly sit beside you to hear this too!! We all want Nisbet to play better but apart from a few runs I saw the same failing striker last night. I have now saw one Hibby say he was outstanding and another, excellent - who were they watching?

WeeRussell
02-02-2022, 01:46 PM
I think in CM01/02 terms Nisbet was a 6 last night, pushing to scrape 7.

By comparison Doidge was a 5, while Newell and Porto were picking up 8s and 9s.

loanheadhibby
02-02-2022, 02:39 PM
Worked his butt off last night, and was a contender for MOTM in my eyes
You have to be joking he was very poor.
I appreciate he is trying hard but his first touch is awful and he never keeps hold of the ball.

jacomo
02-02-2022, 02:48 PM
I appreciate he is trying hard but his first touch is awful and he never keeps hold of the ball.

Hardly anyone kept hold of the ball. I’m not going to single him out for that.

Tambo
02-02-2022, 03:34 PM
I think he was somewhere between good and poor last night.

He needs to be more of a threat.

Played good in spells and worked hard but as you said sometimes was poor especially with his weak efforts on goal.

MWHIBBIES
02-02-2022, 03:36 PM

He was not very poor. The fact a forum that has been ****ting on him most of the season (some of it justified) is majority agreed he played well should tell you something.

Blaster
02-02-2022, 03:48 PM
He was not very poor. The fact a forum that has been ****ting on him most of the season (some of it justified) is majority agreed he played well should tell you something.

It seems to be the case that a player is either very poor or superb on here these days. I thought Nisbet was ok along with most of the team, with dabrowski, porteous, newell and Cadden being better than the others

MWHIBBIES
02-02-2022, 03:53 PM
It seems to be the case that a player is either very poor or superb on here these days. I thought Nisbet was ok along with most of the team, with dabrowski, porteous, newell and Cadden being better than the others

I probably agree actually. I'd add JDH as being good, and Doig first half. Sent their right back to the shops with his routlette.

A Hi-Bee
02-02-2022, 03:53 PM
mmmm so we have a better forward than Kev, I have yet to see this, I said when Doige got injured that we would be lucky to see him back this season.
Kev Nisbet is our best he really is, perhaps not turning it on as well as we know he can but he will again, you dont just become Scotland class to average in half a season. I say get off his back and support the Hibs.
:thumbsup:

Hibiza
02-02-2022, 03:55 PM
Week after week , month after month ( fingers in your ears) shows very very little . Get Porto up front for a few games .

Blaster
02-02-2022, 03:56 PM
I probably agree actually. I'd add JDH as being good, and Doig first half. Sent their right back to the shops with his routlette.

Yes Doig did well. I think the only real disappointment for me was Doidge although hoping a good run of games this month will help him

heretoday
02-02-2022, 03:59 PM
Nisbet is most effective to me in a support role with deft passes and lay-offs. He can't hit a barn door as a striker, unfortunately.

JamesHFC
02-02-2022, 04:01 PM
He lost the ball quite frequently but he worked really hard. Just needs to get himself on a goal scoring run to get that confidence back.

silverhibee
02-02-2022, 04:05 PM

Does it matter if folk sit down with you and explain the positive’s, your mind is made up about him, you don’t rate him and made that quite clear for a good time now, so it’s pointless.

Hibiza
02-02-2022, 04:21 PM
Nisbet is most effective to me in a support role with deft passes and lay-offs. He can't hit a barn door as a striker, unfortunately.

More effective , just not playing.

JimBHibees
02-02-2022, 04:23 PM

His scoring record would suggest otherwise

Hibiza
02-02-2022, 04:31 PM
Wonder if " fingers " asked for a transfer ( again ) this year . Probably not.

Winston Ingram
02-02-2022, 05:44 PM
Does it matter if folk sit down with you and explain the positive’s, your mind is made up about him, you don’t rate him and made that quite clear for a good time now, so it’s pointless.

Absolutely, cos I’m trying to understand what it is people are seeing.

People have come on here and said he played well. I’d love to know how they have come to this conclusion.

Winston Ingram
02-02-2022, 05:57 PM
His scoring record would suggest otherwise

He’s averaging 1 in 4 in the league this season.

chrisski33
02-02-2022, 06:01 PM
Tbh theres been other players who havent been performing well and seemed ok to call them out for being poor. Why is Kevin any different? He was brought into score goals and he hasnt been scoring much lately.

Crunchie
02-02-2022, 06:39 PM

I'm not one for slating our players but I thought he was garbage, way off it and totally lacking in confidence. I hope he finds his form soon or we could struggle to make top 6.

Alfred E Newman
02-02-2022, 06:47 PM
I'm not one for slating our players but I thought he was garbage, way off it and totally lacking in confidence. I hope he finds his form soon or we could struggle to make top 6.

You’re not one for slating players ? You have a strange way of proving it.

WeeRussell
03-02-2022, 10:40 AM
Tbh theres been other players who havent been performing well and seemed ok to call them out for being poor. Why is Kevin any different? He was brought into score goals and he hasnt been scoring much lately.

Any different? He’s been getting dogs abuse for months.. the most criticised player in our team this season.

I’m not saying he’s a man in form or doesn’t deserve some of the stick.. but he’s definitely not been immune to criticism!

Dashing Bob S
03-02-2022, 10:44 AM
The only way Nisbet or any other Hibs player will improve is through constant criticism, nay, scorn and hatred, pouring out from the stands and our message boards. This has been a proven sure-fire motivator in the past and there's no reason to change things now.

Shrekko
03-02-2022, 10:51 AM
I've been a big critic on here of his performances but the abuse and criticism has gone way too far now and I feel sorry for him. It's worrying when fans can't acknowledge anything positive about him no matter what. He was actually getting a lot of abuse from a few around me when he got injured on Saturday which I thought was just awful.

I think he has shown signs of starting to play better recently - in fact from the St Johnstone away game onwards he's had more decent games than bad. If his finishing had been sharper I don't think we'd have much to complain about.

Since452
03-02-2022, 10:56 AM
His workrate has definitely improved recently. He was unlucky that the Hearts player got a block on his shot as i think it was going in. He doesn't deserve the stick now that he was getting a few weeks back. I was one of them critisising him but i can see definate improvement.

Keith_M
03-02-2022, 11:01 AM
I think he needs to get his shots away quicker, if he watches some of Griffith goals and how early he takes a shot rather than trying to set it up perfectly and losing the chance. His all round game has improved the last few games though. Hopefully he’ll start scoring soon.

Agree with that.

There was no lack of effort from Nisbet but he still lacks that killer instinct at times

J-C
03-02-2022, 11:45 AM
Agree with that.

There was no lack of effort from Nisbet but he still lacks that killer instinct at times
Hatate last night, quick set of the feet and hit the ball, 2 goals.

Since452
03-02-2022, 01:04 PM
Hatate last night, quick set of the feet and hit the ball, 2 goals.

A snip at £1.5 million for Celtic but way out of our price range. A bit unfair to compare him with Nisbet.

J-C
03-02-2022, 01:48 PM
A snip at £1.5 million for Celtic but way out of our price range. A bit unfair to compare him with Nisbet.

Wasn't comparing, just the fact he set himself up quickly and struck by the ball, Kevin seems to take an age to try and get it onto his right and by that time he's closed down.

hibeedc
03-02-2022, 02:31 PM
Why is it unfair ? Nisbet has been valued at more than that.

superfurryhibby
03-02-2022, 03:44 PM

There's me thinking we just received 3 million for a player (and lost our highest earner) and had some money to burn.

WeeRussell
03-02-2022, 03:51 PM
Why is it unfair ? Nisbet has been valued at more than that.

Probably because the guy already looks like he could potentially be the best player in the league after about two games.

Since90+2
03-02-2022, 03:53 PM
There's me thinking we just received 3 million for a player (and lost our highest earner) and had some money to burn.

He's probably on about £20,000 a week at Celtic. Plus substantial bonuses.

superfurryhibby
03-02-2022, 04:10 PM
He's probably on about £20,000 a week at Celtic. Plus substantial bonuses.

Possibly, but your guess is only as good as mine. There's folk on here saying Boyle was on 10k/week.

I still feel that our owner needs to invest more money in Hibs. Fans won't turn up to watch a team that are mid table and mediocre.

MWHIBBIES
03-02-2022, 04:13 PM
Possibly, but your guess is only as good as mine. There's folk on here saying Boyle was on 10k/week.

I still feel that our owner needs to invest more money in Hibs. Fans won't turn up to watch a team that are mid table and mediocre.

There will be no team to turn up and watch if we start spending millions on guys right now.

easty
03-02-2022, 04:16 PM
Wasn't comparing, just the fact he set himself up quickly and struck by the ball, Kevin seems to take an age to try and get it onto his right and by that time he's closed down.

Just now aye. Not all the time he's been here though, and he'll get it back.

superfurryhibby
03-02-2022, 04:22 PM
There will be no team to turn up and watch if we start spending millions on guys right now.

The team needs a talismanic figure to replace the one we just lost. Like I said, crowds will (are dwindling) , dwindle. There will be a significant drop in season tickets next season. Fans want to see a successful side and we keep falling short.

Hibiza
03-02-2022, 04:38 PM
Were crying out for a Centre Forward - Kevin I wish it could've been you . Might still be with some determination. Sorry to say but Cup final walking on ( St Johnstone) remonstrating with a team mate , for some obscure reason - set the tone for the whole game. It was pure tripe.

MWHIBBIES
03-02-2022, 04:44 PM
The team needs a talismanic figure to replace the one we just lost. Like I said, crowds will (are dwindling) , dwindle. There will be a significant drop in season tickets next season. Fans want to see a successful side and we keep falling short.

Ah yes, those who only like a winning Hibs will go away for a bit. They are absolutely not worth bankrupting the club for.

MWHIBBIES
03-02-2022, 04:46 PM
Were crying out for a Centre Forward - Kevin I wish it could've been you . Might still be with some determination. Sorry to say but Cup final walking on ( St Johnstone) remonstrating with a team mate , for some obscure reason - set the tone for the whole game. It was pure tripe.

Ah, so you don't know the reason, but you've judged him guilty and decided thats why we lost.

He must've been arguing with a team mate the other 3 times they beat us that season.

superfurryhibby
03-02-2022, 05:01 PM
Ah yes, those who only like a winning Hibs will go away for a bit. They are absolutely not worth bankrupting the club for.

Who's suggesting we bankrupt the club?

Hibs have a whole spectrum of fans and most enjoy watching a decent side. This team needed some quality in the door, not just a bunch of largely untested youngsters. Instead of making sarcastic comments all the time, why don't you occasionally state your views on how the club progresses. As one of our more prolific posters I'd be interested to hear about it.

JimBHibees
03-02-2022, 05:13 PM

You have no idea what they were talking about

Hibiza
03-02-2022, 05:36 PM
Correct,I don't know . In a team mates face , flailing arms , first I've seen in any Cup final . Didn't cost us the game but didn't help . He's been dreadful since he said that he DOESN'T WANT TO BE HERE.

WeeRussell
03-02-2022, 05:54 PM
Correct,I don't know . In a team mates face , flailing arms , first I've seen in any Cup final . Didn't cost us the game but didn't help . He's been dreadful since he said that he DOESN'T WANT TO BE HERE.

I wish folk had been in our players faces more often with some of the pathetic cup final performances I’ve seen as a relatively young Hibs fan in my time.

MWHIBBIES
03-02-2022, 06:02 PM
Who's suggesting we bankrupt the club?

Hibs have a whole spectrum of fans and most enjoy watching a decent side. This team needed some quality in the door, not just a bunch of largely untested youngsters. Instead of making sarcastic comments all the time, why don't you occasionally state your views on how the club progresses. As one of our more prolific posters I'd be interested to hear about it.

Gradually. Thats how the club progresses. Spending 1.5 million on a player means big wages for that player. That means all our other players want big wages. Its not a good idea medium/long term.

We need to be consistent, get into Europe consistenty, gradually strengthen. Progress those young players we've signed.

Hibiza
03-02-2022, 06:12 PM
I wish folk had been in our players faces more often with some of the pathetic cup final performances I’ve seen as a relatively young Hibs fan in my time.

No probs Russell , if you manage to find a clip of it it may show a different meaning. All the best.

vercol36
03-02-2022, 07:02 PM
I really don't like the way that players are disregarded so quickly in football - not just at Hibs. When you look at American sports and see how some players can be picked at, say, 69th in the entry draft, and then nurtured into one of the best players in the league. Makes you wonder how many phenomenal players have slipped through our fingers.

uwxm07
03-02-2022, 08:49 PM
The only way Nisbet or any other Hibs player will improve is through constant criticism, nay, scorn and hatred, pouring out from the stands and our message boards. This has been a proven sure-fire motivator in the past and there's no reason to change things now.

I find this approach works well when motivating staff -especially when they are going through a bad patch , lacking self belief and in need of a confidence boost . Lots of abuse and a good kicking usually helps !

Brightside
03-02-2022, 09:29 PM

Pish

Shrekko
03-02-2022, 10:19 PM

The fans who disappear at the drop of a hat are there same ones who mock loyal fans for “accepting mediocrity” and being “happy clappers”. They don’t seem to realise that whilst they keep disappearing it’s virtually impossible to finance a winning team.

Winston Ingram
04-02-2022, 05:48 AM
I really don't like the way that players are disregarded so quickly in football - not just at Hibs. When you look at American sports and see how some players can be picked at, say, 69th in the entry draft, and then nurtured into one of the best players in the league. Makes you wonder how many phenomenal players have slipped through our fingers.

Quickly? He had 4 decent months at the end of 2020 and been rank rotten ever since.

MWHIBBIES
04-02-2022, 10:06 AM
Quickly? He had 4 decent months at the end of 2020 and been rank rotten ever since.

He hasn't been rank rotten since.

easty
04-02-2022, 10:17 AM
The fans who disappear at the drop of a hat are there same ones who mock loyal fans for “accepting mediocrity” and being “happy clappers”. They don’t seem to realise that whilst they keep disappearing it’s virtually impossible to finance a winning team.

:agree:

superfurryhibby
04-02-2022, 12:54 PM
He hasn't been rank rotten since.

Agreed.

I do wonder though whether Nisbet's first half season was a bit of a flash in the pan and if what we are getting now over the past year is perhaps a fairer reflection of his ability?

Watching that chance he had the other night, where he attempted to curl a right foot shot in and it was blocked, that really was a poor attempt. A striker with confidence and a bit more footballing intelligence would have taken the ball on the left peg and either hit a shot or tried to beat the man, perhaps cutting back onto the right peg. He was never going to get an effort on goal, or at least not one likely to beat Gordon.

Doidge was very poor (moso than Nisbet), so it seems like Maloney has to keep playing Nisbet, unless Melkerson is deemed ready to contribute.

Tyler Durden
04-02-2022, 01:27 PM
Agreed.

I do wonder though whether Nisbet's first half season was a bit of a flash in the pan and if what we are getting now over the past year is perhaps a fairer reflection of his ability?

Watching that chance he had the other night, where he attempted to curl a right foot shot in and it was blocked, that really was a poor attempt. A striker with confidence and a bit more footballing intelligence would have taken the ball on the left peg and either hit a shot or tried to beat the man, perhaps cutting back onto the right peg. He was never going to get an effort on goal, or at least not one likely to beat Gordon.

Doidge was very poor (moso than Nisbet), so it seems like Maloney has to keep playing Nisbet, unless Melkerson is deemed ready to contribute.

Yes it was poor and he's been doing it on a weekly basis.

I listened to a Scottish football podcast earlier where a St Johnstone fan gave his impressions on the Hibs game. He said he thought Nisbet looks miles off it. He highlighted how regularly Nisbet tries those hopeful side foot finishes and how obvious it was.

That's a neutral view. Clear as day to anyone watching that he's nowhere near the level he can/should produce. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, Doidge was even worse. We've no real option but to persist and hope they rediscover the form they're both capable of.

newmarket_hibbee
04-02-2022, 01:29 PM

im glad you had the guts to say that, think they must have been selling Nisbet coloured specs before the game last night from all the above comments. Im sure everybody in that team worked hard last night and most games, but working hard doesny cut it. He needs to be doing what hes getting paid to do and thats score. Nope not blowing smoke, give someone else a chance.

ancient hibee
04-02-2022, 01:45 PM
Agreed.

I would have thought that because of the angle hitting a shot with his left would have been an easy near post save for Gordon.

superfurryhibby
04-02-2022, 01:50 PM
I would have thought that because of the angle hitting a shot with his left would have been an easy near post save for Gordon.

Maybe, but at least there was a chance of actually hitting the target.

What about attempting some trickery to beat the guy trying to cover. It’s in the box, surely that was an option to a player who is considered good enough for the Scotland squad.

Either way, the attempt he came up with was dire, don’t you think?

ancient hibee
04-02-2022, 01:59 PM
Maybe, but at least there was a chance of actually hitting the target.

What about attempting some trickery to beat the guy trying to cover. It’s in the box, surely that was an option to a player who is considered good enough for the Scotland squad.

Either way, the attempt he came up with was dire, don’t you think?

Poor rather than dire.

superfurryhibby
04-02-2022, 02:11 PM
Poor rather than dire.

Ok, but still not good enough either way.

So, do you think he’s “poor” or is his confidence just shot to pieces?

I suggested his initial goal scoring form may just have been a flash in the pan and that what he offers now may just be more indicative of his level?

He’ll not be the first striker to flatter to deceive.

FWIW, I’m not buying into any lack of effort nonsense, that is plainly pish.

SlickShoes
04-02-2022, 02:54 PM

I suggested his initial goal scoring form may just have been a flash in the pan and that what he offers now may just be more indicative of his level?

Yeah I agree with this, I don't think at all that he is not trying. He just seems to have found a level and he is consistently performing at that level for a whole year now, it's the norm and the great games he had early on are the outliers.

I thought the last couple of games he has been a lot better, but the side foot shots are very tiresome, it has clearly worked well for him in the past though and in those situations he's maybe not thinking and going on instinct with just exactly what he's comfortable with.

I feel like it should have been obvious to Jack Ross so something should have been done to expand his game a bit, instead we just isolated him up front with basically no support and let him get on with it.

sleeping giant
04-02-2022, 03:01 PM

Ooft :agree:

superfurryhibby
04-02-2022, 03:15 PM
Yeah I agree with this, I don't think at all that he is not trying. He just seems to have found a level and he is consistently performing at that level for a whole year now, it's the norm and the great games he had early on are the outliers.

I thought the last couple of games he has been a lot better, but the side foot shots are very tiresome, it has clearly worked well for him in the past though and in those situations he's maybe not thinking and going on instinct with just exactly what he's comfortable with.

I feel like it should have been obvious to Jack Ross so something should have been done to expand his game a bit, instead we just isolated him up front with basically no support and let him get on with it.

Parallels with Kamberi? A great start but that was followed by a season and a half of averageness.

I've pointed out before that last season was Nisbet's first in the top flight (I think he played twice the SPFL for Thistle before being released). Prolific at lower level, a bit like Shankland, but has struggled for consistency and form at a higher level.

Alfred E Newman
04-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Obviously, that fact that he is so poor is the reason Steve Clarke has him in the Scotland squad.
I think the best thing Nisbet can do is to get away from this madhouse as soon as he can.

superfurryhibby
04-02-2022, 03:29 PM
Obviously, that fact that he is so poor is the reason Steve Clarke has him in the Scotland squad.
I think the best thing Nisbet can do is to get away from this madhouse as soon as he can.

Can you explain what is good about Nisbet's contribution at the moment?

I'm not one for ripping the pish, but I think it's reasonable to discuss the drop in his performance levels.

Whether he will make the next Scotland squad is debateable, but I'm less interested in that and more concerned about what he does at Hibs right now.

ancient hibee
04-02-2022, 04:12 PM

I think his game suffered when Ross seemed to want to turn him into Doidge while at the same time the service from midfield was abysmal.Definitely not Nisbet’s game. He’s shown in a number of games that he can pick out a pass and is effective when he drops deep. I think he’s so anxious to score that he tries to make absolutely sure instead of hitting the ball early.He should watch the Japanese at Celtic who smack the ball before the goalie knows what’s going on.Hibs coaches should also have the Celtic third goal on a continuous loop to demonstrate how to gamble in the box.

Since452
04-02-2022, 04:17 PM
Parallels with Kamberi? A great start but that was followed by a season and a half of averageness.

I've pointed out before that last season was Nisbet's first in the top flight (I think he played twice the SPFL for Thistle before being released). Prolific at lower level, a bit like Shankland, but has struggled for consistency and form at a higher level.

Kamberi makes Nisbet look like the roadrunner.

Winston Ingram
05-02-2022, 11:15 AM
Agreed.

I think there is truth in this. I also think teams have worked out how to play against him.

SlickShoes
05-02-2022, 04:13 PM
Will he ever be dropped? His first touch is as bad as mine and he currently can’t score even from two yards. He plays like he’s mentally checked out, but he’s been there every week regardless.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-02-2022, 04:16 PM
Have said it for years we need a bull in a china shop centre forward, what we have is simply not good enough

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2022, 04:17 PM
He's not a natural goalscorer, i'd back James Scott to score more with the chances he gets.

And hes ****.

Not In The Know
05-02-2022, 04:25 PM

Thats the problem he handed in a transfer request after 6 months cause he thought he was better than us. IMHO that’s why us fans have got little patience for his pish poor performances. On this form he’d be lucky to get a contract renewal.

Pretty Boy
05-02-2022, 04:32 PM
I thought Nisbet worked his socks off today. There were times he was 30 yards in our half looking for the ball.

There's plenty to criticise him for but the lazy angle I heard a few times today didn't reflect today's game.

He's just not a very intelligent footballer imo and it's noticeable when he isn't scoring. Always on his heels and half a yard behind where he needs to be.

3pm
05-02-2022, 04:33 PM
Nisbet ain't the problem here.

chrisski33
05-02-2022, 04:37 PM
Maybe hes working his socks off but he was brought in to score goals and hasnt been doing so of late. As mentioned i think his transfer request saga hasnt endured him to many fans especially as his form has dipped. What exactly are tye striker coaches doing?

Unseen work
05-02-2022, 04:39 PM
I wish at times he would just smash it.

Always try’s to place it and makes it easy for the keeper or gives defenders time to get back

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2022, 04:39 PM

He's definitely part of it. Crucial misses vs Celtic, Livi, St mirren. Costing us points

Smartie
05-02-2022, 04:54 PM
Out of possession - very good again, worked hard and pressed their defenders.

In possession - gave it away once or twice but he generally linked the play quite nicely.

In front of goal - disappointing. Didn’t get a clean strike away to test the keeper at his chances, although he brought a decent save out of their keeper with one.

I wonder how his play compares to what he’s being instructed to do and I question his decision making. The movement he makes to get on the end of crosses is often pitiful. And if he’s dropping deep, who is going to get on the end of chances?

He didn’t play badly today imo but I just don’t see how he fits into a decent team that scores goals and wins. Our centre midfield is hopelessly dysfunctional as are the strikers and I just don’t see how Maloney’s tactics and our players combine to make a team that scores anywhere near enough goals to win games,

It feels harsh picking out Nisbet today as he’s played far worse - but he’s clearly a big part of a collective problem.

I had no issue with his effort level. TBH I wonder if we might be a better team if he was lazier but stood on the last man, never went wider than the width of the posts, never dropped deep and only ever sparked into life when we popped up in possession in a dangerous area either centrally or out wide.

J-C
05-02-2022, 04:57 PM
Drops too deep so he's never in position when a cross comes in, hold up play is poor, not great at heading a ball and can't score with his left peg, not a great endorsement for a striker is it.

Coach Jon
05-02-2022, 05:08 PM
Drops too deep so he's never in position when a cross comes in, hold up play is poor, not great at heading a ball and can't score with his left peg, not a great endorsement for a striker is it.

The problem is we have turned him from a striker to a midfield player.

Green_one
05-02-2022, 05:13 PM
The problem is we have turned him from a striker to a midfield player.

Yes he is forced deep but made a couple of chances for others today

Of the two strikers, Doidge is the much bigger issue. Totally off form and looks unfit

Hibee Mac
05-02-2022, 05:17 PM
Nisbet ain't the problem here.I just don't buy this opinion anymore. Don't know what people are watching if Nisbet isn't part of the problem.

If the only positive thing that people can cling onto about our main striker is some work rate and a couple of past appearances for Scotland in a problem position then that tells you all you need to know.

Hibs main striker should offer a whole lot more than he does, I'm fast running out of patience watching him lead our line.

And as for the fans, you simply cannot expect them not to get on your back like this when you hand in a transfer request after 6 bloody months. The lack of patience he gets it all his own making.

Dunfyhibee
05-02-2022, 05:19 PM
One of our better players today, worked hard as he has for last few games. Gave the ball away too easily a few times but certainly not a poor performance. Actually felt sorry for him dropping into central midfield late on, starves of proper service again.

SlickShoes
05-02-2022, 06:54 PM
One of our better players today, worked hard as he has for last few games. Gave the ball away too easily a few times but certainly not a poor performance. Actually felt sorry for him dropping into central midfield late on, starves of proper service again.

Starved of service apart from the tap in he missed

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2022, 06:56 PM

Sitter vs Celtic, 1 on 1 vs Livi, sitter today. Open goal vs hearts but he was offside still missed. Its not a service issue

B.H.F.C
05-02-2022, 06:59 PM

He’s no putting the ball in the net. He’s one of the biggest problems we have IMO.

JohnM1875
05-02-2022, 07:01 PM
He’s no putting the ball in the net. He’s one of the biggest problems we have IMO.

Hard to argue against that.

He's in the team to primarily score goals. If he was setting up goals for other folk you could forgive the poor goal return. He's doing neither right now.

Nicho87
05-02-2022, 07:04 PM
I’d sell him at the first sensible offer we receive.

He thinks he’s better than he is, at 24/25 I can’t see him improving

Misses far to many, knocked off the ball, no desire, too patchy.

Can take doidge with him. Another one who we as fans seem to have to have fallen head over heels for when his job is to score goals. He can’t do it. If he didn’t and his other play was superb fine, but I don’t even see that anymore.

B.H.F.C
05-02-2022, 07:34 PM
Just a few weeks since he was sticking his fingers in his ears, after scoring against part time Cove Rangers. Glad you’ve went and backed that up Kevin…

Hiber-nation
05-02-2022, 08:15 PM
Played OK today but has to get his foot through the ball. One big chance and sclaffed it. Coaching staff have to drill it into him. I always think he has a fitness issue, never really seems to be "at it". Need to work harder Kev otherwise you'll be back in the Championship before you know it.

gaz1875
05-02-2022, 08:17 PM
Why the **** does he drop back to the half way to get the ball, or get to the front post for the endless amount of crosses that go there. He needs to stop hiding behind defenders and look for space to stretch the defence or give an option to receive a pass. Has anyone ever seen him standing in space during a break away attack? He goes looking to stand next to the defenders!! It's not rocket science for **** sake.

Jonnyboy
05-02-2022, 08:20 PM
Why the **** does he drop back to the half way to get the ball, or get to the front post for the endless amount of crosses that go there. He needs to stop hiding behind defenders and look for space to stretch the defence or give an option to receive a pass. Has anyone ever seen him standing in space during a break away attack? He goes looking to stand next to the defenders!! It's not rocket science for **** sake.

He said in a recent interview that Shaun Maloney had instructed him to do that

B.H.F.C
05-02-2022, 08:22 PM

There was a couple of times towards the end of the game that he was taking the ball of the centre halves. I honestly think he was doing it to try and make a point about how little we have in that part of the pitch.

Mikey_1875
05-02-2022, 08:24 PM
I have noticed him working harder recently which is a positive but he remains so frustrating. Two balls were sent over the top today that you were begging him to be direct with and just take a shot but he always wants to seem to turn back rather than cut across the man towards goal. To be fair he should have had an assist for Henderson today.

He’s a very strange player in general.

gaz1875
05-02-2022, 08:28 PM
He said in a recent interview that Shaun Maloney had instructed him to do that

He's our only goal threat ffs (not a very good one).

Northernhibee
05-02-2022, 08:33 PM
Starved of service apart from the tap in he missed

Can’t agree. Most strikers would kill for the sort of balls Cadden puts in every single game and would probably score at least once every two games from them. Get into the six yard box, gamble on it and you’re going to convert one eventually.

I see a lack of desire to get onto these balls or even to get a shot away. If it has to be your weaker foot then so be it but the first job of the striker is to get a shot away and he barely manages that.

gaz1875
05-02-2022, 08:35 PM
There was a couple of times towards the end of the game that he was taking the ball of the centre halves. I honestly think he was doing it to try and make a point about how little we have in that part of the pitch.

Jasper dropped back when he came on and done a bit of that. That's part of the problem, JDH & Campbell are hopeless at dragging the team forward. When Henderson came on we started to create chances. Our main goal threat dropping back to take the ball from the defence is shambolic. Harry Kane got shredded for playing like that for Spurs, Conti came in and told him to stay up front (not that I'm comparing Nisbet to Harry Kane).

B.H.F.C
05-02-2022, 08:58 PM
Jasper dropped back when he came on and done a bit of that. That's part of the problem, JDH & Campbell are hopeless at dragging the team forward. When Henderson came on we started to create chances. Our main goal threat dropping back to take the ball from the defence is shambolic. Harry Kane got shredded for playing like that for Spurs, Conti came in and told him to stay up front (not that I'm comparing Nisbet to Harry Kane).

Agree with your last point. Striker needs to stay up front, between the posts. Not that they happen very often, but that’s where Nisbet gets his goals.

Jonnyboy
05-02-2022, 08:59 PM
He's our only goal threat ffs (not a very good one).

I know but it seems both Maloney and Nisbet think this deeper role suits. Can't see it myself but that's what's going on apparently

Shrekko
05-02-2022, 11:56 PM

Our forwards in general really don't make good strikers runs when we're breaking. Cadden put's low balls into the same areas almost every time that are just begging for a front post run... but nobody ever get's near them.

Sean1875
06-02-2022, 12:01 AM
Don’t care who you are, if it’s February and you’re a starting striker for Hibs every week and I can count your league goals on one hand it’s embarrassing. Simply not good enough.

silverhibee
06-02-2022, 01:02 AM
Maybe hes working his socks off but he was brought in to score goals and hasnt been doing so of late. As mentioned i think his transfer request saga hasnt endured him to many fans especially as his form has dipped. What exactly are tye striker coaches doing?

We have striking coaches, if so they need sacked pronto.

See your wee comment about him scoring goals that’s what he was brought here to do, I can remember being down at Ayr one night many moons a go under Mowbray and after the game his chat was “I couldn’t care if Derek Riordan was scoring hatricks every week he needs to work harder” now if Deek’s was getting 3 goals a week Mowbray would have hailed the best coach going, my opinion is he said that to take the heat of the players he brought in who were pish that night.

Nisbet just can’t win with some fans.

Zambernardi1875
06-02-2022, 01:07 AM
We have striking coaches, if so they need sacked pronto.

See your wee comment about him scoring goals that’s what he was brought here to do, I can remember being down at Ayr one night many moons a go under Mowbray and after the game his chat was “I couldn’t care if Derek Riordan was scoring hatricks every week he needs to work harder” now if Deek’s was getting 3 goals a week Mowbray would have hailed the best coach going, my opinion is he said that to take the heat of the players he brought in who were pish that night.

Nisbet just can’t win with some fans.

Nisbet isn’t even nish standard never mind deek

Winston Ingram
06-02-2022, 10:09 AM
His movement is non existent. We put loads of crosses in and he’s nowhere near any of them.

He never makes a front post or back post run. He just meanders into the box in a straight line every single time. He must be the easiest striker in the league to mark.

Winston Ingram
06-02-2022, 10:12 AM
I’d sell him at the first sensible offer we receive.

He thinks he’s better than he is, at 24/25 I can’t see him improving

Misses far to many, knocked off the ball, no desire, too patchy.

Can take doidge with him. Another one who we as fans seem to have to have fallen head over heels for when his job is to score goals. He can’t do it. If he didn’t and his other play was superb fine, but I don’t even see that anymore.

Who on earth would pay money for him?

We won’t receive a penny for him when he leaves. We’ll end up subsidising his wages and loaning him out somewhere then release him when his contracts up.

The Captain....
06-02-2022, 10:14 AM
His movement is non existent. We put loads of crosses in and he’s nowhere near any of them.

He never makes a front post or back post run. He just meanders into the box in a straight line every single time. He must be the easiest striker in the league to mark.Agree with this..he always seems to pull out between the penalty spot and edge of 18 yard box. He is one of the most frustrating strikers to watch, especially the time it takes him to get a shot off ( which is more often than not blocked). I hope Melkerson is a player as our striking options are dog ****. Don't even get me started on that empty jersey Doidge

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2022, 10:14 AM
I know but it seems both Maloney and Nisbet think this deeper role suits. Can't see it myself but that's what's going on apparently

SM is probably wanting him out the way, so the chances he misses so often will land at someone elses feet.

MrSmith
06-02-2022, 10:16 AM
Who on earth would pay money for him?

We won’t receive a penny for him when he leaves. We’ll end up subsidising his wages and loaning him out somewhere then release him when his contracts up.

I reckon he'll end up over the road and score a bucket load for them like Robertson.

gaz1875
06-02-2022, 10:48 AM

He never makes a front post or back post run. He just meanders into the box in a straight line every single time. He must be the easiest striker in the league to mark.

You don't have to mark him if your a defender he'll find you.

Daydreamer
06-02-2022, 10:57 AM
The biggest problem with Nisbet is his movement in the box when a cross comes in. He very rarely makes a front post run and seems to peel off to the back post and seems to hope the defenders will miss the ball in which is'nt going to happen. This idea that he is working harder is probably true but 5 league goals all season from a hibs centre forward is very poor.

Smartie
06-02-2022, 01:57 PM
I reckon he'll end up over the road and score a bucket load for them like Robertson.

Interesting you mention Robertson - I’ve thought about him once or twice in relation to Nisbet.

I’m sure I read something in Shoot as a kid when Robertson was asked for one bit of advice he’d give to strikers - and he said “hit it early and hit it clean”. (Might not have been then but I definitely remember that being Robertson’s advice).

Basically, everything Nisbet doesn’t do.

Robertson had limitations as a player, but we know to our costs that he also had his strengths. It wouldn’t have surprised me if Robertson would be licking his chops at the type of crosses Cadden puts in. The basics of being a striker, including the front post run across the defender, he was superb at.

If Nisbet went over the road I wouldn’t be losing any sleep about him “doing a Robertson”.

Hibiza
06-02-2022, 02:59 PM
You don't have to mark him if your a defender he'll find you.

😂