PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hearts 01 02 2022)

Jonnyboy
01-02-2022, 11:30 PM
I’m going to start by confessing that after the performance against Livingston I honestly thought we were going to get turned over tonight, but I’m delighted to have been proved wrong. Unlike the loathsome Tom English, I actually thought it was a decent game for the most part with both sides attacking when the chance arose. I haven’t seen any of the footage and so I can’t really comment on the two penalties English and Richard Gordon thought Hearts should have had or on the fact that Gordon couldn’t hide the glee in his voice when describing Ryan Porteous as having hoodwinked Don Robertson for the second claim. No mention by them on the Devlin challenge on Mueller which was a red card offence but only punished with a yellow. Enough though of them and their pathetic attempts to drag Hibs down.

With Hanlon and McGinn sidelined and Macey ruled out due to injury there were inevitable changes at the back with Dabrowski in goal and Bushiri on from the start. Interestingly, Porteous took the central role with Bushiri to his right and Stevenson to his left. Joe Newell and Josh Doig had midfield roles and I was happy to see us play with two strikers in Doidge and Nisbet with Mueller tucked in behind.

From the off there was evidence that this was going to be a physical battle with Baningimi fouling Porteous, possibly the first sign of how they would try to wind Ryan up. The first chance of the game fell to Devlin who beat the offside trap as he was picked out by a pass from Baningimi, but the Aussie made a hash of his effort with only Dabrowski to beat. Next to try his luck was Chris Mueller but his left footed attempt from the edge of the box was blocked after Nisbet had set up the chance. Moments later, Stevenson was booked for pulling back Atkinson as the Hearts man looked to break forward and seconds later Taylor Moore was carded for scything down Josh Doig.

There was a lot of blood and thunder with neither side willing to give an inch, but it was Hibs on the front foot for the most part and as Chris Cadden strode past Halliday he was pulled down and the card to the Hearts man was deserved for such a cynical challenge. Nisbet then hit the post with a close range effort but the assistant had flagged for offside. Nisbet was involved again as Hearts struggled to clear the ball and Kev’s header seemed to go into the net off a defender but once again the flag was up.

Around the twenty five minute mark, Hearts got themselves more involved in an attacking sense and won a couple of corners without reward from the deliveries. Doidge, set up by Newell got a shot away inside the box but it was blocked and then Bushiri came very close to scoring with a header, but the ball was deflected wide from close range. Newell’s corners were troubling Hearts but time and again a loose clearance landed at the feet of a Hearts man who could clear the danger. At the other end, Boyce headed narrowly wide before another good Newell cross saw Josh Doig bullet a header towards goal but once again the effort was blocked.

Right on the half time whistle, Hearts had two chances to score with Dabrowski saving the first from Boyce and then Simms headed high and wide from a good position. Then, a quite shocking over the ball challenge by Devlin on Mueller earned the Hearts man a yellow that could easily have been red. As the players trooped off at the interval it was obvious that Doig was struggling after the early challenge and indeed he failed to appear for the second half with Mitchell taking his place.

Hearts started the second half brightly and Simms wasted another chance by shooting straight at Dabrowski. Simms again missed soon after, and Hibs were rocking a bit as a deflected shot looked to have Dabrowski in trouble, but he pushed the ball away and Stevenson headed it behind with Boyce in close attendance. Joe Newell was next in the book, and it had been coming because he’d committed a handful of fouls prior to the one he was cautioned for.

On the hour mark, Mueller, who had been tireless in his efforts, was replaced by Drey Wright and the new arrival looked to have broken clear but was flagged as being offside in what looked like a tight decision. Soon after, Newell limped off and was replaced by Campbell and not long after that, Simms broke free and charged into the Hibs box on the right before his strong shot was well saved by Dabrowski.

The atmosphere in the stadium was both tense and electric as neither set of fans wanted to see their side concede late in the game. Hibs came close when Mitchell picked out Nisbet, but the striker’s shot was blocked on its way to goal. Euan Henderson then replaced Doidge and got a shot away that failed to trouble Gordon. Next Nisbet had a shot blocked before Hearts were gifted a real chance to score. A poor passback by Bushiri would surely have ended in the net as Dabrowski had been coming out to clear the ball. The Hibs keeper ‘saved’ it from going in and Don Robertson correctly deemed it a passback. Hibs crowded the wall; Woodburn rolled the ball to Cochrane who blasted it against the advancing wall. Porteous went down holding his head and the referee stopped the game. The shot was fierce and all I could make out was that it struck a Hibs player.

With only a few minutes left, a deep cross from the right picked out Henderson at the far post. The youngster met the cross, heading it down into the path of Josh Campbell who hammered the ball at goal, beat Gordon but was denied by a cracking block from Sibbick. The blocked ball then fell to Nisbet who blazed it over the bar.

As the dust settled, both sets of fans had been entertained and the Hibs performance brought a smile back to my face.

The players

Dabrowski – A fine goalkeeping display with a couple of vital saves thrown in. There was always the possibility that the occasion might overwhelm him but no, he was solid and dependable.

Bushiri – In previous games I’ve praised him but tonight he gave me the fear a few times by taking too long on the ball and allowing himself to be closed down.

Porteous – I was critical, I think justifiably, of Ryan’s performance against Livingston but tonight I thought he was immense. His reading of the game was first class as was his handling of Simms and Boyce. I know Kev got the sponsors award as man of the match and I can understand why but for me, Ryan just edges it.

Stevenson - A fine performance from the captain.

Cadden – I honestly feel he is improving game by game. In the first half he caused Hearts all sorts of problems with his runs down the right whilst in the second, Neilson having realised the problem and changed things to counter it, he had less space to exploit.

Doyle-Hayes – Jake has had a bit of criticism of late, but I reckon he was back to somewhere near his best tonight.

Newell – Had Joe lasted the 90 he’d have been competing with Ryan for my man of the match award. Driving the team forward with powerful runs and delivering some mouth-watering crosses I ventured the thought that maybe the shackles he wore under Jack Ross’ reign have now been removed.

Doig – Josh was having a fine game but was then injured and less likely to make penetrating runs down the left.

Mueller – Admittedly, not everything came off for him tonight, but he never hides, covers every blade of grass and I’m sure that once he finds the target, goals will be added to his game.

Nisbet – Where’s that allegedly lazy git Nisbet these days? Got through a power of work and surely once the goals start again, he’ll be back to his best.

Doidge – Chris had a hard time of it tonight against a big and powerful back three but as you’d expect he gave his all.

Mitchell – Had a few excellent runs down the left and seemed to link well with Nisbet. I think the best is yet to come.

Wright – Poor Drey, I wonder if he feels the mistrust from the stands? Another game where he was neither good nor bad but somewhere in the middle.

Campbell – I wager he’ll have trouble sleeping tonight as he should have buried the chance right at the death.

Henderson – Showed some nice touches and good awareness to head the ball into the path of Campbell.

Shaun Maloney – Should rightly be pleased with his players and well done to him in his post-match interview for putting that fat Jambo Brian McLaughlin back in his box.

Referee – Don Robertson apparently missed two blatant penalties but hey, at least he was consistent in that he also missed numerous foul challenges on Hibs players.

JohnM1875
01-02-2022, 11:32 PM
"well done to him in his post-match interview for putting that fat Jambo Brian McLaughlin back in his box"

What was said?

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2022, 11:35 PM
"well done to him in his post-match interview for putting that fat Jambo Brian McLaughlin back in his box"

What was said?

McLaughlin was on a long winded question about something or other (style of play I think). Went on for ages with no real purpose - SM just said “what’s the question?”

JohnM1875
01-02-2022, 11:37 PM
McLaughlin was on a long winded question about something or other (style of play I think). Went on for ages with no real purpose - SM just said “what’s the question?”

Love to hear that. Crazy to think that just because he's small folk think he's a pushover.

easty
01-02-2022, 11:38 PM
Agree with all of that.

I’d heard folk complaining about Nisbet tonight but I think he was good. On another day he might might’ve scored, but he certainly didn’t miss a sitter. We need the midfield to create more chances, generally.

Mueller needs to adapt from MLS to SPL. It’s not a criticism really, he’s just got to get used to how it is here. I’m hopeful with him.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2022, 11:38 PM
To be fair Hearts could have had 2 pens and on anthor day with another ref they might have, having said that Delvins tackle was a shocker.

Luna5
01-02-2022, 11:46 PM
Did Lewis not play?

Jonnyboy
01-02-2022, 11:50 PM
Did Lewis not play?

😂 Apologies to the wee man. Updated now 👍

The Harp Awakes
01-02-2022, 11:54 PM
Had Sportsound on in the car on the way home. Listening to the continual anti-Hibs stuff coming out of Richard Gordon, Tom English and BM is becoming really irritating.

Porteous, particularly in the 2nd half, was absolutely outstanding, but rather than praise a young Scottish talent for his performance, they concentrate on him feigning injury, which most professional players do regularly. P1ss poor punditry.

On the game, it was great to see the players respond to vociferous backing by the fans. They showed they cared and were much more direct and moved the ball quicker.

Maloney needs a close season to get our obvious weaknesses sorted, but tonight has shown that the passion, grit and determination is there in abundance. Great to see.

kaimendhibs
02-02-2022, 12:20 AM
Great summary but I was sure it was Kevins shot blocked on the line?

kaimendhibs
02-02-2022, 12:22 AM
Tom English is a grade A clown

Franck Stanton
02-02-2022, 12:31 AM
Great summary but I was sure it was Kevins shot blocked on the line?

Nope, definitely Josh Campbell shot.

kaimendhibs
02-02-2022, 12:33 AM
Nope, definitely Josh Campbell shot.

Ah fair enough, cheers

NAE NOOKIE
02-02-2022, 12:49 AM
Can hardly argue with any of that. The application from the team was first class, I was really worried we might be out muscled and out fought in this game, but not a bit of it, every player put in a hell of a shift. Don't know what the radio twits were on about, for a nil nil and especially a Hibs v Hearts nil nil that was actually a very entertaining game and the atmosphere was brilliant.

Dabrowski can be very happy with his nights work, his save from the back pass was really smart and he didn't look at all out of place for a guy with so little first team experience, if Macey isn't worried about his place after tonight he should be.

Newell was absolutely superb and was MOM for me even if he did have to go off. I never understand the slagging he sometimes gets, on the ball he's probably the best player we have and he's never afraid of a challenge either.

Doig had a really good first half as well, its a shame he had to be subbed because that was on the way to being one of his best games for Hibs.

Mueller .... Having played in MLS where in most games away fans are a rarity in any numbers I wonder what he made of that atmosphere tonight, the guy worked his socks off and I can't help thinking that's the kind of game he likes playing in ... more to come from him with any luck.

Campbell .... Has my sympathy, it was a great header down by Henderson but the way the ball came to him from where I was it looked like his only option was to hammer it first time as it bounced up, just his bad luck there was a defender on the line coz Gordon was well beaten, he knew it too if the massive cuddle he gave Sibbic after the ball went out of play is anything to go by.

number9dream
02-02-2022, 02:36 AM
Much improved in terms of intensity and aggression, with good performances from Porto, Kev D & Newell, while Doig and Cadden were strong early on and Nisbet is so much better coming from deeper and facing goal rather than leading the line.
However, it has to be said Hearts were well on top for most of the second half and we didn't test Gordon at all, until a defender bailed him out right at the end, so there's still much to work on.
Doidge could do with a goal and Mueller is still getting up to speed.
Will we get the same application and energy on Saturday when the atmosphere is nothing like tonight's? Let's hope so.

AZhibee
02-02-2022, 02:40 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy

Viva_Palmeiras
02-02-2022, 03:22 AM
Can hardly argue with any of that. The application from the team was first class, I was really worried we might be out muscled and out fought in this game, but not a bit of it, every player put in a hell of a shift. Don't know what the radio twits were on about, for a nil nil and especially a Hibs v Hearts nil nil that was actually a very entertaining game and the atmosphere was brilliant.

Dabrowski can be very happy with his nights work, his save from the back pass was really smart and he didn't look at all out of place for a guy with so little first team experience, if Macey isn't worried about his place after tonight he should be.

Newell was absolutely superb and was MOM for me even if he did have to go off. I never understand the slagging he sometimes gets, on the ball he's probably the best player we have and he's never afraid of a challenge either.

Doig had a really good first half as well, its a shame he had to be subbed because that was on the way to being one of his best games for Hibs.

Mueller .... Having played in MLS where in most games away fans are a rarity in any numbers I wonder what he made of that atmosphere tonight, the guy worked his socks off and I can't help thinking that's the kind of game he likes playing in ... more to come from him with any luck.

Campbell .... Has my sympathy, it was a great header down by Henderson but the way the ball came to him from where I was it looked like his only option was to hammer it first time as it bounced up, just his bad luck there was a defender on the line coz Gordon was well beaten, he knew it too if the massive cuddle he gave Sibbic after the ball went out of play is anything to go by.

Did Chris not say in his ‘bro’ podcast with fellow yanks that he’d plAyed in front of 80k?

Scooter
02-02-2022, 04:16 AM
Great summary again.

One thing I'd like to add. Is everyone is mentioning the penalties for hearts. But what about our goal cause the header looked onside to me

Coach Jon
02-02-2022, 04:47 AM
Neither of the "penalty" claims were penalties for me. The first was a Shoulder to shoulder challenge, which is still allowed as far as I am aware, the second a shot hits the players elbow, had to watch several replays to see it, again never a pen.
The Gorgie Tramp has a habit of using referees as a deflection tool for his teams poor performances without any comeback from the authorities, whereas Paul McGinn was banned recently for merely saying the ref was inept.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-02-2022, 05:28 AM
So -who gets the credit for snuffing out Liam Boyce?

Since452
02-02-2022, 05:29 AM
Neither of the "penalty" claims were penalties for me. The first was a Shoulder to shoulder challenge, which is still allowed as far as I am aware, the second a shot hits the players elbow, had to watch several replays to see it, again never a pen.
The Gorgie Tramp has a habit of using referees as a deflection tool for his teams poor performances without any comeback from the authorities, whereas Paul McGinn was banned recently for merely saying the ref was inept.

Two absolute stonewallers for me. And a red for Lewis. Shame.

JimBHibees
02-02-2022, 05:57 AM

That is where I am after listening to the radio driving home thought I was going to see two stick ons not a bit of it never a penalty either one. As you say he constantly slags off refs yet our player gets a two game ban for inept do me a favour,

JimBHibees
02-02-2022, 05:59 AM

Disagree. Shoulder charge and blasted at him from two yards with arms in naturalish position :greengrin

hibsbollah
02-02-2022, 06:04 AM
Great summary, got the performance of each player spot on.

Unseen work
02-02-2022, 06:11 AM
Thought we were very good for the first 35 minutes and couldn’t believe we weren’t winning. The ball just isn’t landing for us right now and we’re not getting much of a break in front of goal.

Porteous was exceptional all game and Rocky looks like a brilliant addition (with the exception of his back pass) there was an bit of play in the first half where it was a long ball forward and Rocky was chasing back to the ball under pressure and he cool as ice headed it behind him and ran onto it, it was then flagged as offside but it was sheer class.

Newell was very good and dominated the centre of the park, he’s so good on the ball and really physical, lost count of the amount of tackles he made. JDH was also really good at breaking up play in there.

Nisbet was back to his best and one of the main things I’ve noticed in the last two games is when he’s getting the ball he’s running at the opposition and it’s working really well.

Doig is another I thought was really good and completely dominated his side and it was very noticeable second half when he went off. Mitchell showed good bits in glimpses but is quite weak and doesn’t seem all that interested in defending.

Dabrowski can be immensely proud of his debut, some great saves. I don’t want to sound too critical but I hope he doesn’t always try he so dramatic with his saves, a couple tonight were quite fortunate that they never lead to a goal but I’ll put that down to nerves and trying too hard. A hugely encouraging performance though and for someone who turns 24 in the summer it really is time for him to break into the team.

We got off with a couple of huge decisions although Devlin got lucky for his tackle too and there was murmurs Rocky’s header hit a hearts man hand and the offside goal was onside - although no idea if that’s true.

Drey Wright - I’ve backed him and was happy with him against United and Celtic but when he came on he was so so careless with the ball and it put us under a lot of needless pressure.

Fans were brilliant all game.

Maloney - Well done, you set us up well and defensively since she’s came in we’ve looked solid with the exception of the Livi game which was down to a crazy period. We were attacking with a real intensity and it excited to see what he does when all our signings are in the team. Also well done to how he conducts himself and doesn’t play up to the media like that embarrassment Neilson.

Benny Brazil
02-02-2022, 06:40 AM
Agree with all of that.

I’d heard folk complaining about Nisbet tonight but I think he was good. On another day he might might’ve scored, but he certainly didn’t miss a sitter. We need the midfield to create more chances, generally.

Mueller needs to adapt from MLS to SPL. It’s not a criticism really, he’s just got to get used to how it is here. I’m hopeful with him.

You can definitely see that Nisbet has benefitted from having Doidge up front to help him and some of his link up play is great - my one frustration with him is his reluctance to shoot from outside the box and the reluctance to shoot with his left, always trying to cut it back on his right

Allant1981
02-02-2022, 06:44 AM
Thought rocky had a very mixed game last night, his heading was horrendous most of the time, had a bit of a panic when he let the ball roll along the front of the goal as well, looked like he was struggling to kick the ball as well in parts, apart from that he was ok!

500miles
02-02-2022, 07:10 AM
I thought Rocky was good and then seemed to tire.

Then I saw a photo of his right boot on twitter that someone had put thier studs right through. Dull one, hope he's fit for the weekend.

Allant1981
02-02-2022, 07:17 AM
I thought Rocky was good and then seemed to tire.

Then I saw a photo of his right boot on twitter that someone had put thier studs right through. Dull one, hope he's fit for the weekend.

Thats possibly why he was having issues kicking, seemed very strange at the time

Cropley10
02-02-2022, 07:19 AM
Great write up as always. But am I the only one reflecting on two back to back nil nils, where in over 3 hours of play (Inc minutes added on) we have had not one shot on target, and it took us until the 83rd minute to finally have one last night.

500miles
02-02-2022, 07:19 AM
Thats possibly why he was having issues kicking, seemed very strange at the time

Didn't grass the player like Ramirez though. Good guy.

Pretty Boy
02-02-2022, 07:22 AM
Steven Pressley made a career of falling over and feigning injury when he was put under pressure. I was delighted to see Porteous show a bit of streetwise intellect last night and if the Sportsound cabal don't like it then all the better.

Nisbet worked his socks off last night. A couple of times he should have done better to get a shot away but any accusations of laziness are lazy themselves.

Newell was the standout, thought he was superb and Dabrowski done really well for a debut. Gloves are his now as far as I'm concerned.

brog
02-02-2022, 07:23 AM
Thanks John, excellent as ever. I posted yesterday that I thought SM had been experimenting to see all the players and that Campbell and Henderson would be benched last night. It also seemed obvious to me that Porto should be in the middle rather than Rocky. Shaun did all these things and we reaped the benefits. With the exception of poor Drey Wright I felt for 1st time I was in tune with SM's thinking.
PS, it was somewhat ironic that Campbell and Henderson combined for our best chance and I attach no blame at all to Josh! It was just great to see 2 midfielders busting a gut and getting into the box in extra time!

Alfred E Newman
02-02-2022, 07:27 AM
Richard Gordon and co are best ignored. Unlike that slavering, know all about everything Tom English ,I though it was a great game and great entertainment.
Of course they will be wetting themselves in anticipation of a "fantastic, greatest derby in the world " old firm clash tonight.

B.H.F.C
02-02-2022, 07:32 AM
Great write up as always. But am I the only one reflecting on two back to back nil nils, where in over 3 hours of play (Inc minutes added on) we have had not one shot on target, and it took us until the 83rd minute to finally have one last night.

I’m not overly concerned with the shot on target thing last night because we showed proper attacking intent. What we’re really lacking is a striker to get on the ends of things, Doidge kept missing the ball when it came in first half.

I do agree with the more general point though but it’s something we’ll need to put up with for the rest of the season unless one of the new players can do something. We’re lacking quality at that end of the pitch.

B.H.F.C
02-02-2022, 07:35 AM
Thanks John, excellent as ever. I posted yesterday that I thought SM had been experimenting to see all the players and that Campbell and Henderson would be benched last night. It also seemed obvious to me that Porto should be in the middle rather than Rocky. Shaun did all these things and we reaped the benefits. With the exception of poor Drey Wright I felt for 1st time I was in tune with SM's thinking.
PS, it was somewhat ironic that Campbell and Henderson combined for our best chance and I attach no blame at all to Josh! It was just great to see 2 midfielders busting a gut and getting into the box in extra time!

Henderson had his best 15 minutes in a Hibs top. Came on and tried to be positive. Had a shot from distance which didn’t come to much but a midfielder shooting from distance is unheard of. Set up Campbell and put another good ball in to the box that Nisbet and Cadden just couldn’t get on the end of, story of our night for me.

expresso
02-02-2022, 08:01 AM
Pace was never Doidge’s forte but he’s definitely struggling to contribute post injury at times he was like a man down.
Stevenson doesn’t really have stature to play in aback 3 but more than makes up with his reading of the game,
Hopefully Henderson can cement permanent place in the team as he has a level of creativity few others have.

BILLYHIBS
02-02-2022, 08:12 AM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

Spot on as usual

:thumbsup:

hibbyfraelibby
02-02-2022, 08:16 AM
Tom English is a grade A clown

He is still in the thrall of the aging blonde bombscare

scoopyboy
02-02-2022, 08:20 AM
I thought Halliday should have got a straight red for his tackle on Cadden.

It wasn't a mistimed tackle but a professional foul and dangerous play.

Greenbeard
02-02-2022, 08:26 AM
You can definitely see that Nisbet has benefitted from having Doidge up front to help him and some of his link up play is great - my one frustration with him is his reluctance to shoot from outside the box and the reluctance to shoot with his left, always trying to cut it back on his right
I'm a fan eh, but his propensity to try and do everything casually and always to try and place his shots rather than giving it a blooter is starting to drive me bananas. LACE IT MAN. Sometimes at least.

Greenbeard
02-02-2022, 08:30 AM
Didn't grass the player like Ramirez though. Good guy.
Can't believe they don't carry a spare pair of boots to a game.

superfurryhibby
02-02-2022, 08:32 AM
Great summary, as always and pretty much what I feel about the game.

It was a battling performance, the players gave everything they had. Good to see Newell play with real grit and forward momentum. Nisbet worked really hard and showed no lack of effort. Porteous showed class and highlighted what a talent he is. Stevenson was excellent in the back three, I though he managed Simms very well, given there is almost a foot in height between them ( I may be slightly exaggerating there). Mitchell was good when he came on. Rocky needs to not fanny around on the ball, he might be a massive lump of a laddie, but his footwork isn't that wonderful.

Overall, I thought it was a decent game, a game of two halves and a draw was about the right result.

Edit: just watched the highlights, they did create quite a few chances and we were fortunate with both penalty shouts, especially the first one.

04Sauzee
02-02-2022, 08:39 AM

Shoulder to shoulder for me, if he had leant in from behind it's a pen but he didn't. Lewis just using all his strength in that 5'7 frame.

Bushwoof
02-02-2022, 08:45 AM

Are we not counting Joe Newell's top corner curler in the 1st half? Might have caught out an inattentive keeper.

Saint Hibee
02-02-2022, 08:55 AM
I take back everything I’ve said about Joe Newell, I thought he was great tonight. I have to admit I’d never heard of Ellis Simms before, but he looks like a good signing for the cardigan-wearers.

weecounty hibby
02-02-2022, 09:12 AM
The first penalty incident was right in front of me and I didn't think it was a penalty. Not seen replays so am sticking with my first thoughts. Too far away from the second knee to say and again nor seen highlights. What I can say is that Devlin is a lucky laddie not to have been sent off and the right back should definitely have walked for second yellow late in the game.

Tyler Durden
02-02-2022, 09:43 AM
Can't agree with positive comments on Nisbet. It's good that he's back to working hard to defend from the front but that should be a minimum expectation. His refusal to use his left foot is pathetic and his general hold up play was nowhere near good enough.

Doidge was worse unfortunately. Hopefully more game time together and more coaching from Maloney can bring out the best in both. Sibbick looks a good player for Hearts to be fair and he didn't make it easy for us.

Newell, Porto, Doig and Cadden were all excellent. We need to show the same intensity from the start of every game and we'll do well.

Anthony Soprano
02-02-2022, 09:55 AM

Yes. Because we had 6 shots on target in the game at Tynie.

B.H.F.C
02-02-2022, 10:08 AM
Can't agree with positive comments on Nisbet. It's good that he's back to working hard to defend from the front but that should be a minimum expectation. His refusal to use his left foot is pathetic and his general hold up play was nowhere near good enough.

Doidge was worse unfortunately. Hopefully more game time together and more coaching from Maloney can bring out the best in both. Sibbick looks a good player for Hearts to be fair and he didn't make it easy for us.

Newell, Porto, Doig and Cadden were all excellent. We need to show the same intensity from the start of every game and we'll do well.

Agree with your comments on Doidge/Nisbet. We need goals and they don’t really look like scoring which is the main reason they’re there.

That’s Doidge had three starts, plus a sub appearance, in the last fortnight so he should be getting there (although I thought he was caught on his heels 3 or 4 times in the first half when the ball came in to the box).

RyeSloan
02-02-2022, 10:08 AM
The first penalty incident was right in front of me and I didn't think it was a penalty. Not seen replays so am sticking with my first thoughts. Too far away from the second knee to say and again nor seen highlights. What I can say is that Devlin is a lucky laddie not to have been sent off and the right back should definitely have walked for second yellow late in the game.

The first one is a pen all day long for me…he might use his shoulder to do it but that’s no license to just bundle the player over from behind. 100% I’d be screaming for a pen if it was the other way.

The second one is never a pen in a million years and I have no idea how McFadden came to the opposite conclusion on Sportscene. The ball is whacked at him from 2 yards and although it hits his elbow it’s never a pen.

SerenityGreen
02-02-2022, 01:36 PM
The first one is a pen all day long for me…he might use his shoulder to do it but that’s no license to just bundle the player over from behind. 100% I’d be screaming for a pen if it was the other way.

The second one is never a pen in a million years and I have no idea how McFadden came to the opposite conclusion on Sportscene. The ball is whacked at him from 2 yards and although it hits his elbow it’s never a pen.

What I was about to say. First is deffo a barge by Lewie, not really shoulder to shoulder. second. No pen for me.

jacomo
02-02-2022, 01:51 PM

:agree:

Plenty of decisions went against us in the 2nd half, which maybe balances it up a bit, but Hearts had two valid penalty claims there.

jacomo
02-02-2022, 01:57 PM
Thanks JB.

Some definite positives from last night, not least performances from Ryan, Joe and Dabrowski who were all excellent. The new faces deserve a little patience as they adjust to new surroundings.

On the other hand, we just couldn’t keep possession for long periods of the game, passes didn’t stick, our forwards could barely create anything or even just hold the ball for any length of time.

The point is welcome but we could have easily lost that. 3 points would have been a bit of a steal. There is a lot of work to do.

I gave my MOTM to Porteous last night but I think the fans deserve the biggest credit - simply terrific all match. Couldn’t hear a thing from the visitors, they were simply drowned out.

Brightside
02-02-2022, 01:59 PM
Can't believe they don't carry a spare pair of boots to a game.

They do. They brought them out from the changing room but for some reason couldnt get an opportunity to swap boots.

jacomo
02-02-2022, 02:10 PM

McFadden came to that conclusion because Lewis blocked the ball with his arm in the box.

We’ve all seen them given and you know it. It’s fine to be partisan about our team but if that happened to us I’d want the pen.

Is It On....
02-02-2022, 02:12 PM
Really made me laugh our loud last night when somebody referred to Robbie Replay as "The Gorgie Tramp" 😂

Libby Hibby
02-02-2022, 02:12 PM
Steven Pressley made a career of falling over and feigning injury when he was put under pressure. I was delighted to see Porteous show a bit of streetwise intellect last night and if the Sportsound cabal don't like it then all the better.

Nisbet worked his socks off last night. A couple of times he should have done better to get a shot away but any accusations of laziness are lazy themselves.

Newell was the standout, thought he was superb and Dabrowski done really well for a debut. Gloves are his now as far as I'm concerned.

Bang on PB.

JimBHibees
02-02-2022, 03:26 PM
Shoulder to shoulder for me, if he had leant in from behind it's a pen but he didn't. Lewis just using all his strength in that 5'7 frame.

Same for me dont think that is a foul. Foul if barged in the back seemed like a legitimate coming together.

Tambo
02-02-2022, 03:30 PM
That was an enjoyable game of football which I thought we dominated first half, with hearts looking much better but we ended the game strong.

Dabrowski's saves was first class and deserves to play Saturday. Porteous immense at the back but I was a little concerned about the defence heading from all back 3 past night.

Newell was decent but I must admit I'm surprised he stayed on the pitch with the ammount of fouls which a few was needless, JDH played much better when Newell left the field.

Again the final third is killing us in games which needs to be addressed, I love Doidge but he was off it last night and Mueller for me was hot and cold.

Both teams will be happy not to have lost and we go again Saturday.

Golden Bear
02-02-2022, 04:18 PM
McFadden came to that conclusion because Lewis blocked the ball with his arm in the box.

We’ve all seen them given and you know it. It’s fine to be partisan about our team but if that happened to us I’d want the pen.

Lewis must have concrete blood in his veins.

The distance and speed of the rebound suggest to me that it either came off Lewis's shoulder or his trunk.

Honest m'lud!

PatHead
02-02-2022, 05:18 PM

We have not had back to back 0-0 draws. We lost 2-3 on Saturday.

SonOfDavidFrancey
02-02-2022, 05:26 PM
Back to back 0-0s in derbies. Any of you oldsters back in the late 60s / very early 70s (pre Turnbull) with me? Always seemed to be 0-0. Until it was 7-0 of course…

hibby6270
03-02-2022, 11:13 PM
So -who gets the credit for snuffing out Liam Boyce?

According to a couple of my old school mates who are Jambos, Liam Boyce gets the credit for snuffing out Liam Boyce!! :greengrin:greengrin