PDA

View Full Version : Centre of Midfield

RossScott1991
01-02-2022, 07:53 AM
Now that the window is shut. Seems the club is happy with what we’ve got in there (gulp).

How do we go about improving our general play / what is the best combination to have in there. JDH and Campbell are simply not working and ineffective. Neither move it quickly whether that’s with abit of vision or carrying the ball. It’s basically where our main problems lie in performances IMO. I’d have like the focus to have been on in there. But It seems our focus is being a threat from the wide areas with the signings of young “pacey” forward players.

JDH
Newell
Campbell
Henderson
Allan
Wright
Magennis (if he’s ever fit this season)

are our main central options we are left with. Just looking at it isn’t great at all. I am stunned it wasn’t one of the main areas from Maloney and his staff would want to put a mark on considering the way they want to play. But now that window is shut we are stuck with it so now it’s all about trying to get a tune out of them.

MrSmith
01-02-2022, 07:58 AM
Now that the window is shut. Seems the club is happy with what we’ve got in there (gulp).

How do we go about improving our general play / what is the best combination to have in there. JDH and Campbell are simply not working and ineffective. Neither move it quickly whether that’s with abit of vision or carrying the ball. It’s basically where our main problems lie in performances IMO. I’d have like the focus to have been on in there. But It seems our focus is being a threat from the wide areas with the signings of young “pacey” forward players.

JDH
Newell
Campbell
Henderson
Allan
Wright

are our main central options we are left with. Just looking at it isn’t great at all. I am stunned it wasn’t one of the main areas from Maloney and his staff would want to put a mark on considering the way they want to play. But now that window is shut we are stuck with it so now it’s all about trying to get a tune out of them.

Been saying this for weeks now! It's totally hopeless and that list is so uninspiring that I dread tonight's game.

Smartie
01-02-2022, 08:00 AM
I actually thought Newell and JDH looked fine together at the start of the season when they had Magennis in there with them. I don’t expect them to have become bad players overnight although nobody can deny their form has dropped off a cliff.

An extra central midfielder or two, a striker who can play up front on their own and a pragmatic manager who would pick the best team with the players available and I’d be confident enough that we’d manage to get top 6, maybe scrape into Europe.

Instead, I think we’re going to be lambs to the slaughter. We’ve actually got loads of exciting players, but we’ve got fatal deficiencies and I fear for the rest of the season tbh. The fact that there are a couple of dire teams in the league mean that Butcheresque catastrophe will be avoided but I’d be amazed if we have anything like a respectable season.

And I’d be amazed if I bother my backside turning up for much of it.

MrSmith
01-02-2022, 08:04 AM
I actually thought Newell and JDH looked fine together at the start of the season when they had Magennis in there with them. I don’t expect them to have become bad players overnight although nobody can deny their form has dropped off a cliff.

An extra central midfielder or two, a striker who can play up front on their own and a pragmatic manager who would pick the best team with the players available and I’d be confident enough that we’d manage to get top 6, maybe scrape into Europe.

Instead, I think we’re going to be lambs to the slaughter. We’ve actually got loads of exciting players, but we’ve got fatal deficiencies and I fear for the rest of the season tbh. The fact that there are a couple of dire teams in the league mean that Butcheresque catastrophe will be avoided but I’d be amazed if we have anything like a respectable season.

Exactly where I am! I think I'll play Uncharted remastered on the PS5 tonight! Seems a better game to go to.

CB Hibs 68
01-02-2022, 08:07 AM

Sadly I agree with this assessment.I do have concerns as to how the rest of the season will go but I will see how it plays out from my seat at ER.

ian cruise
01-02-2022, 08:12 AM
Macey

Rocky porteous hanlon

Cadden JDH newall doig

Allan

Doidge Nisbet

With
Magennis
Mitchell
Clarke
Melkerson
Jasper
McGinn
Wright
Dabrowski

Plus whoever I have forgotten.

Doesn't look like a terrible team to me. I'll not deny players are underperforming, they won't deny that either, unfortunately fixing bad form isn't always a quick fix if it's a confidence issue regardless of how much the fans demand it.

- Players need to believe in themselves.
- Fans need to get behind them.
- Manager needs to let them know they need to push forward and that it's okay to make mistakes as long as they were trying something positive/to create.
- Manager also needs to accept that 3 - 4 - 3 isn't going to always work and make the formation/way we play a little more fluid (and possibly is, it's early days).

Yeah it's been a rubbish season so far. Writing it off is the wrong attitude (both from fans and club). Third might be gone but you've got to try. There's still a cup to play for and most importantly, there are still fans paying money to support them. It's Hibs, "Persevere".

Nicho87
01-02-2022, 08:14 AM
I’d actually sacrifice cadden on the right and put his energy in the middle of the park. With Mitchell there now. Might be a possibility, I’m sure it was said by a few that cadden can play centrally as well

Juice-Terry
01-02-2022, 08:15 AM
Slightly desperately, could we play in Hanlon in central midfield? Rocky, Porteous, and Doig/Stevenson can handle the back.

CapitalGreen
01-02-2022, 08:19 AM

That is some take. I agree we could have done with someone new in central midfield but the existing centre mids have us in 5th and got us to a league cup final with more than half of the season gone. A couple of poor results in horrific conditions with a few key players missing and we are now “lambs to the slaughter” - are you this melodramatic in all aspects of your life or just when it comes to discussing football online?

Nicho87
01-02-2022, 08:21 AM
Slightly desperately, could we play in Hanlon in central midfield? Rocky, Porteous, and Doig/Stevenson can handle the back.

Hanlon was deployed as a holding midfielder during someone’s reign as gaffer think it lasted 45 minutes.

For pure entertainment purposes you mays well stick porteous in there, that would be carnage haha.

B.H.F.C
01-02-2022, 08:23 AM
We’ll muddle along and win a few games here and there. But there is no way we’re going to be consistently good with what we have available in midfield. It doesn’t even feel like something we looked to address which absolutely baffles me.

They’re what we have though so they need to step up and battle like **** tonight.

hibbydad
01-02-2022, 08:25 AM
I have felt for a while that Hanlon could do a job in the holding roll in midfield

MrSmith
01-02-2022, 08:26 AM
Shame Jasper isn't playing tonight as looks a tidy player! Don't know how League two compares with our leagues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnSZ8BiwCVo

Is It On....
01-02-2022, 08:29 AM
It's interesting that Mathie took the blame and ultimately became the fall guy for the lack of midfield recruitment in the summer and yet we haven't strengthened this area again. Clearly Ross, and now Maloney, don't see this as a problem area so it would seem a fit Magennis is the key for a better end to the season.

Smartie
01-02-2022, 08:30 AM
That is some take. I agree we could have done with someone new in central midfield but the existing centre mids have us in 5th and got us to a league cup final with more than half of the season gone. A couple of poor results in horrific conditions with a few key players missing and we are now “lambs to the slaughter” - are you this melodramatic in all aspects of your life or just when it comes to discussing football online?

Why are we 5th? We’ve had a few good results along the way. A strong start to the season when we had the trio mentioned playing together. They won’t play together as a 3 under Maloney, even if Magennis ever gets fit. We had a bounce of a couple of games getting a good 6 points in a week after Maloney came in. Things looked fairly promising at that point.

Since then, Maloney’s had a few weeks to get his ideas across and we’ve played 4 games. Other than a decent first half against Livi, we’ve looked clueless in those games and it doesn’t look to me like Maloney’s been given the necessary tools to turn that round.

I accept that other folk will disagree but I can’t see anything other than the grizzled, streetwise coaches in our league picking us off week after week and us struggling to have the flexibility or nous to overcome that.

duffers
01-02-2022, 08:30 AM

JDH
Newell
Campbell
Henderson
Allan
Wright

I’m a big Newell fan, and hopefully JDH can start getting back to his levels of performance at the start of the season. Those 2 however are the only 2 players that can play centre mid. The rest id say come more into the attacking mid category. Quite worrying if those 2 were to get injured.

J-C
01-02-2022, 08:32 AM
Surprised we didn't bring in another CM due to the concerns over Magennis and his fitness but if the right player is not available there's not much you can do. We now have a host of wide attacking players which is something we've lacked over recent years.

Tyler Durden
01-02-2022, 08:55 AM

To put this in context, you've been coming out with this ultra pessimistic take for most of the last 18 months.

We're currently well in the hunt for 4th place and every chance of a Scottish Cup QF.

LunasBoots
01-02-2022, 09:22 AM
Shame Jasper isn't playing tonight as looks a tidy player! Don't know how League two compares with our leagues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnSZ8BiwCVo

Fulham have a very good youth set up, if he's as good as some of there other youth players I think he will be a cracking signing.

flash
01-02-2022, 09:25 AM
Fulham have a very good youth set up, if he's as good as some of there other youth players I think he will be a cracking signing.

Seems to be talked about in the same bracket as the guy Liverpool tried to get yesterday.

Ronniekirk
01-02-2022, 09:25 AM

Is Hanlon Fit

HibsGW
01-02-2022, 09:45 AM
I have felt for a while that Hanlon could do a job in the holding roll in midfield

He’d get well fired in.

Unseen work
01-02-2022, 09:48 AM
Were a couple not hinting last night that a free agent will be signing today?

Diclonius
01-02-2022, 09:50 AM
Doyle-Hayes, Magennis and Newell - cracking midfield three. Probably our best trio since McGeouch, McGinn and Allan.

Without Magennis - I fear for us tonight.

Fergus52
01-02-2022, 09:51 AM
Big if, but IF Magennis can come back in a couple of weeks and stay fit then I think our midfield will be okay.

Newell and Magennis would be a good partnership in Maloney's system imo, with JDH Campbell and Henderson as different options for back up and rotation.

MWHIBBIES
Tbh. We'll be okay with Newell and JDH. They aren't awful. Newell especially can be very good. If the rest do their jobs, and Maloney does his, we'll probably be 4th or 5th, which isn't some disaster. Definitely need to step it up next season.

nonshinyfinish
It's interesting that Mathie took the blame and ultimately became the fall guy for the lack of midfield recruitment in the summer and yet we haven't strengthened this area again. Clearly Ross, and now Maloney, don't see this as a problem area so it would seem a fit Magennis is the key for a better end to the season.

As I remember it, the concern at the time was more about failure to recruit competition in central defence and up front – those being the positions that Ross had specifically named as the focus for the window. Obviously the McGrath non-signing was an admin f***-up, by Mathie or someone else, but that attempted signing itself seemed more like an opportunistic one because he suddenly became available rather than being the position we really needed.

Jones28
01-02-2022, 09:52 AM
A middle 2 of Newall and JDH is fine, but it's the options in front of them that are concerning me.

Allan can't get on the pitch, so he's out.

Henderson is tricky but too lightweight for the Derby IMO.

Melkerson untested - thought he was more of a striker?

Wright has been fine for me, but was pish against Motherwell.

I've said it before but Maloney needs to be more pragmatic than we have been in recent games. It might be a case of conceding options in the wide areas, but I would much rather see us play a 2 with a number 10 in front of them, Mueller would be my preference for that: the way that Zemmama used to play in a free role floating in behind the forwards.

Nisbet and Doidge have to play together.

The Modfather
01-02-2022, 09:54 AM
Doyle-Hayes, Magennis and Newell - cracking midfield three. Probably our best trio since McGeouch, McGinn and Allan.

Without Magennis - I fear for us tonight.

I think that midfield trio are getting better the longer time goes on. They actually only played together twice in the league this season. We did win both games but I think it was Magennis and his runs into the box that made the real difference.

I’d be looking to replace all 3, or just two if Magennis could ever prove his fitness, over the next few windows.

jacomo
01-02-2022, 10:00 AM
I think that midfield trio are getting better the longer time goes on. They actually only played together twice in the league this season. We did win both games but I think it was Magennis and his runs into the box that made the real difference.

I’d be looking to replace all 3, or just two if Magennis could ever prove his fitness, over the next few windows.

Magennis went on a wee goal scoring run which - obviously - helps you win games.

He’s still not back and we now have fewer options in the middle of the park than we did a week ago.

If JDH or Newell are missing for any reason we are down to the bare bones. I was very keen for Campbell to show us what he can do but I’m not convinced.

Concerning echo of Hecky and his refusal to see this as an issue for me.

Tyler Durden
01-02-2022, 10:00 AM

We also played Newell and Magennis together (with Gogic coming on at HT?) in the first derby and lo and behold, they were very competitive against the apparently amazing Hearts midfield.

I wanted a CM signed yesterday but Newell and JDH aren't suddenly rubbish. If they are fit they should play most games and it's about getting the right balance in the rest of the team. Ponderous passing in our own defense isn't the strategy of the players - it's something Maloney needs to change quickly.

keep the faith
01-02-2022, 10:11 AM
A middle 2 of Newall and JDH is fine, but it's the options in front of them that are concerning me.

Allan can't get on the pitch, so he's out.

Henderson is tricky but too lightweight for the Derby IMO.

Melkerson untested - thought he was more of a striker?

Wright has been fine for me, but was pish against Motherwell.

I've said it before but Maloney needs to be more pragmatic than we have been in recent games. It might be a case of conceding options in the wide areas, but I would much rather see us play a 2 with a number 10 in front of them, Mueller would be my preference for that: the way that Zemmama used to play in a free role floating in behind the forwards.

Nisbet and Doidge have to play together.

As Scotty is still here, it's now time to play him.

It's ridiculous that 5 subs are chosen ahead of him and I thought the only reason that may be happening was we were trying not to cup tie him for a Jan move.
James Scott won't win you a game. Drey Wright won't win you a game.
Seriously Shaun, get Allan on the park!

Key West
01-02-2022, 10:50 AM
Doyle-Hayes, Henderson and Campbell are young I'm sure they'll turn out to be decent players for Hibs.

Springbank
01-02-2022, 11:29 AM
We also played Newell and Magennis together (with Gogic coming on at HT?) in the first derby and lo and behold, they were very competitive against the apparently amazing Hearts midfield.

I wanted a CM signed yesterday but Newell and JDH aren't suddenly rubbish. If they are fit they should play most games and it's about getting the right balance in the rest of the team. Ponderous passing in our own defense isn't the strategy of the players - it's something Maloney needs to change quickly.

They had the benefit of Kyle mcgennis doing the work of 3 CMs in that game though. And that's kind of the point

number9dream
01-02-2022, 11:32 AM
I think it has to be Newell & JDH, with Campbell as back up and then work out the best trio to play ahead of them.
A bit disappointing that Tait is not seen as ready to compete for a place given he was a regular at Raith, while Henderson barely kicked a ball at Celtic.
Henderson looks too lightweight for the two central slots but will hopefully improve over time and add something higher up the pitch.

SMAXXA
01-02-2022, 11:36 AM
I’d actually sacrifice cadden on the right and put his energy in the middle of the park. With Mitchell there now. Might be a possibility, I’m sure it was said by a few that cadden can play centrally as well

I said the same to my mate the other day he’s good in CM and would be a good option in there.

Lago
01-02-2022, 11:36 AM
:top marks
Tbh. We'll be okay with Newell and JDH. They aren't awful. Newell especially can be very good. If the rest do their jobs, and Maloney does his, we'll probably be 4th or 5th, which isn't some disaster. Definitely need to step it up next season.

Smartie
01-02-2022, 11:44 AM
I said the same to my mate the other day he’s good in CM and would be a good option in there.

I'd be keeping Cadden on the right - he's been our brightest player since we started back after the break.

Does Doig have a game at CM in him? I like both Doig and Mitchell, feel like either would be wasted on the left of the 3 at the back, but feel the centre of midfield could really benefit from Doig driving forward more centrally. Some of the aspects of his play - his touch and passing - have been a bit untidy in some recent games and then there's the fact that he's never played there for us. But at a time when our midfielders can look a bit ploddy, it feels a bit wasteful to have someone with drive and energy sitting on the bench watching us play.

Remember a young Lewis Stevenson making a move in there and his skill set being handy for a while, although Doig certainly doesn't have Stevenson's bite defensively.

OldEast
01-02-2022, 11:50 AM
I'd be keeping Cadden on the right - he's been our brightest player since we started back after the break.

Does Doig have a game at CM in him? I like both Doig and Mitchell, feel like either would be wasted on the left of the 3 at the back, but feel the centre of midfield could really benefit from Doig driving forward more centrally. Some of the aspects of his play - his touch and passing - have been a bit untidy in some recent games and then there's the fact that he's never played there for us. But at a time when our midfielders can look a bit ploddy, it feels a bit wasteful to have someone with drive and energy sitting on the bench watching us play.

Remember a young Lewis Stevenson making a move in there and his skill set being handy for a while, although Doig certainly doesn't have Stevenson's bite defensively.

I've thought similar this season but your last sentence tells us why not unfortunately.

Jones28
01-02-2022, 11:52 AM

It's ridiculous that 5 subs are chosen ahead of him and I thought the only reason that may be happening was we were trying not to cup tie him for a Jan move.

I'd love it to happen but I don't think he will be give that chance unfortunately.

I don't think he's shown enough in the limited time he's had on the pitch.

Jones28
01-02-2022, 11:54 AM

Sticking full backs in at centre mid isn't something I want to see us do. It's a totally different position to playing full back, Doig is good going forward, he's having a go at full backs more and more and I think we need that. Same with Cadden. I'd rather see us go with a 2 and a number 10.

shetlandhibee
01-02-2022, 12:02 PM

Baffling? It can hardly be said that if scott Allan had played a lot more in JR team and now SMs team as we’ve gone through all this games struggling to make chances that we would have been worse!! I think he’s been really hard done by, with the extra games he,d have gotten sharper and sharper IMO still the best midfielder we have! Should ov been starting matches setting up chances and taken off as if needed later in games as we protect leads that he most probably would have set up?

Hibees1973
01-02-2022, 12:03 PM
The posts suggesting Cadden for a central role is a decent idea for me.

I fear if we just go with JDH and Newell in the middle we could be overrun in the middle. In the last few games and in the League Cup final both these players seem to be chasing back most of the game.

Should be up to them to control the game, which they have proved they can in the past. If they provide service to Nisbet, Doidge, Mitchell and Mueller they don’t have to be caught chasing back all the time.

Unseen work
01-02-2022, 12:07 PM
Newell and JDH are both good centre mids, they’re being unfairly criticised for not being creative because none of the forward players are now creating.

Cadden and Doig would be disasters in the middle of the park and nowhere near good enough on the ball imo.

I like how Maloney gets criticised for changing the team selections yet people want to move two of our best performers since he took over to centre mid?!

Smartie
01-02-2022, 12:12 PM
Sticking full backs in at centre mid isn't something I want to see us do. It's a totally different position to playing full back, Doig is good going forward, he's having a go at full backs more and more and I think we need that. Same with Cadden. I'd rather see us go with a 2 and a number 10.

It wouldn't have been my first choice either, but at various points over the years we've had the odd shift out of Whittaker, Stevenson, Murphy and maybe others in there.

Kevin McCann at CH is the out of position story that still gives us all the fear, but we've had a few success stories over the years of players being deployed in unfamiliar positions through necessity.

If we're not going to buy in a bit of energy and drive for the midfield, maybe we need to find it from elsewhere in the squad?

superfurryhibby
01-02-2022, 12:15 PM
Newell and JDH are both good centre mids, they’re being unfairly criticised for not being creative because none of the forward players are now creating.

Cadden and Doig would be disasters in the middle of the park and nowhere near good enough on the ball imo.

I like how Maloney gets criticised for changing the team selections yet people want to move two of our best performers since he took over to centre mid?!

Can't agree with that, the team is misfiring and the lack of creativity and energy from central midfield is a huge factor. The forward players are out of form too, but they are feeding off scraps. I like Cadden, but he's not a wonderful footballer. Lots of energy and a great engine though. Maybe that's why people feel he could do a job in the central areas?

southern hibby
01-02-2022, 12:18 PM
Probably goes against the grain here but I would make the pitch ( width wise ) as small as I could. This would allow those on the wing a chance to come into towards the middle of the park to help out easier.

I know not all of you will agree but I think we need to do something like this as we will probably be steamrolled through the centre.

GGTTH

Since90+2
01-02-2022, 12:19 PM
Probably goes against the grain here but I would make the pitch ( width wise ) as small as I could. This would allow those on the wing a chance to come into towards the middle of the park to help out easier.

I know not all of you will agree but I think we need to do something like this as we will probably be steamrolled through the centre.

GGTTH

You can't change your pitch size mid season.

southern hibby
01-02-2022, 12:22 PM

I thought ( unless rules have changed ) you can change it if and when you want for each game. However if that’s the rule then that’s put my idea to bed.

GGTTH

southern hibby
01-02-2022, 12:35 PM
Just googled about pitches and can’t find anything to say it’s not allowed, however did find a lot to say it happens quite often.

GGTTH

Smartie
01-02-2022, 12:41 PM
https://archive.news.stv.tv/sport/1342464-alloa-chief-rangers-changed-pitch-size-under-souness-and-so-can-we.html

I knew I'd remembered something involving Alloa and Rangers a few years ago. Not sure if there are any rules in relation to it as the Alloa chairman does mention "sporting integrity" and refers to only changing after having played each team the same number of times.

FWIW I wouldn't be in favour of narrowing the pitch and blunting our threat from out wide - which appears to be our best source of creativity in recent weeks - just in an attempt to cover for failings elsewhere.

Spike Mandela
01-02-2022, 12:48 PM
Our signing strategy seems a wee bit different in signing some young players, spreading our net wider than the British isles which might pay dividends in the near future however, I hate to say it but, our first team all of a sudden just looks a wee bit ordinary.

That might change if Nisbet, Doidge, Porteous and Doig regain the form they are capable of and some of the new signings add qualities as yet we are unaware of (early days in their Hibs career)

Not majorly loud but there are a few muted alarm bells ringing at the back of my head.

Basildon Hibs
01-02-2022, 12:54 PM
Been saying this for weeks now! It's totally hopeless and that list is so uninspiring that I dread tonight's game.

I've been saying it for years!!

Soft as ***** in middle of park! The Yams will batter them tonight.

flash
01-02-2022, 12:55 PM
I've been saying it for years!!

Soft as ***** in middle of park! The Yams will batter them tonight.

Will they aye?

Greenbeard
01-02-2022, 12:55 PM
Agree. Doig and Cadden are both too much heid-doon 90mph sort of players for CM. We need drive and energy in midfield yes, but I don't think it is either of them. I thought Campbell was going to be that player but he has flattered to deceive. Hopefully will come good.

The 90+2
01-02-2022, 12:56 PM

Sure Levein done it at the pink **** tip before.

Smartie
01-02-2022, 12:57 PM
Our signing strategy seems a wee bit different in signing some young players, spreading our net wider than the British isles which might pay dividends in the near future however, I hate to say it but, our first team all of a sudden just looks a wee bit ordinary.

That might change if Nisbet, Doidge, Porteous and Doig regain the form they are capable of and some of the new signings add qualities as yet we are unaware of (early days in their Hibs carreer)

Not majorly loud but there are a few muted alarm bells ringing at the back of my head.

We still have a few unsung heroes around the squad. Stevenson is having a good season and unlike others I still think Paul McGinn has been an excellent player for us. Saturday and the first half of the Celtic game were the only times when the defence looked really shaky - if we can get back to defending how we were and giving little away, it means we only need to be scoring the odd goal here and there to be picking up a fair few points, so there is less pressure on the attack.

Rocky looks like he has the potential to be a good player and Mitchell has shown promise. Mueller looked good against Cove and his pedigree suggests he should be able to make a contribution.

Hanlon getting fit would really help, another underappreciated player over the years.

Porteous could do with getting his finger out. He was terrible on Saturday after missing more games than he should through his own stupidity. Nisbet needs to show more of what he showed on Saturday rather than what he's shown over the past year. Doidge has also shown us not nearly enough and there comes a time when you need to say that his injury is behind him and we need him to offer us more.

Then there's the other new players.

I can't say I'm optimistic - but I would say that if you look through the squad there are players in there who could and should offer us something.

It's a pretty sorry state to be in imo given we've got a track record of finishing 3rd and getting to a good few recent cup finals right enough and I don't think even the most optimistic Hibs fan could consider this to even come close to resembling "kicking on".

RIP
01-02-2022, 01:01 PM
Big if, but IF Magennis can come back in a couple of weeks and stay fit then I think our midfield will be okay.

Newell and Magennis would be a good partnership in Maloney's system imo, with JDH Campbell and Henderson as different options for back up and rotation.

He’s injured himself again. Next season is more realistic

oneone73
01-02-2022, 01:07 PM

Tbf,he hasn't injured himself. It's a contact injury, so someone has injured him. Which could happen to anyone.

Jones28
01-02-2022, 01:37 PM

He got injured. Just say that.

Greenbeard
01-02-2022, 02:11 PM
He got injured. Just say that.
You need two more words though. "Yet again"

Greenbeard
01-02-2022, 02:32 PM
Off topic but I am reminded of Scotland rugby coach Matt Williams (an Aussie) who narrowed the pitch for an Autumn Test v his compatriots in 2004. But sneakily (some would say cheatingly) he instructed the ground-staff not to bring in the touchline and re-mark the pitch until AFTER the Aussie team had visited Murrayfield the day before for the traditional "Captain's Run" familiarisation visit and kicking practice.
Murrayfield being renowned as a wide pitch, the Aussie Coach and Manager were absolutely bealin when they turned up on match day to find the pitch narrowed by about 5m each side, 70m wide down to 60m. It didn't stop them pumping Williams's team though (who didn't during Williams's awful reign) and it probably just served to fire them up. Had to check but it was 28-0 to The Wallabies at HT and FT 31-14. Must have taken the Scots players until the 2nd half to adjust to the unaccustomed narrow Murrayfield pitch.

Basildon Hibs
01-02-2022, 02:44 PM
Will they aye?

In the middle of the park? Yep.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Skol
01-02-2022, 02:51 PM

Many full backs started out as midfielders but were not good enough and managed to make a niche role for themselves. In fact full backs all seem to come from being not good enough at other positions.

Hunter and Hanlon for example broke into the team as full backs before being selected in their best position. Duncan and Tortolano were wingers before being not quite good enough and became full backs.

No idea what happened with Alan Sneddon though !

Smartie
01-02-2022, 03:01 PM
Many full backs started out as midfielders but were not good enough and managed to make a niche role for themselves. In fact full backs all seem to come from being not good enough at other positions.

Hunter and Hanlon for example broke into the team as full backs before being selected in their best position. Duncan and Tortolano were wingers before being not quite good enough and became full backs.

Is it not a Dutch thing that in general, the best youth players always play centre midfield, but that every player should be able to play every position? It's part of the "total football" philosophy. As time goes by the best players still play CM but the others drift out into other positions but they tend to still be versatile players capable playing several positions? They then start to specialise in their chosen position really quite late on in their development.

Where did Doig start out? There had been rumours that he was mainly a CH when he was younger and that he'd only really started playing LB after he got to Hibs but I'm sure I remember someone who had coached him when he was young coming on here saying that he actually mainly played CM when he was younger?

superfurryhibby
01-02-2022, 03:48 PM

Both Hunter and Hanlon were boys breaking into the team. I suppose the full back role was less combative and seena s a good way to blood 18-19 year olds.

With Duncan and Tortolano, I think both we used a full backs out of necessity. Miller struggled to address the left back position throughout his time at Hibs. The one decent left back was Graeme Mitchell, who turned out to be an even better sweeper. With Arthur, I think Turnbull had also used Bobby Smith in that role , once Shades went to Dundee (what a bizarre swap for Hutchison) and when wee Bobby left , Arthur was a stop gap that kep on going.

I do agree though, a lot of full backs started out as midfielders or wingers. being brutal, not many youngsters actually want to play there :wink:

ancient hibee
01-02-2022, 05:06 PM
Pat Stanton and Paul Kane were at training on Monday so we may be in for a surprise.

madhatter
01-02-2022, 05:19 PM
Pat Stanton and Paul Kane were at training on Monday so we may be in for a surprise.

Wish we had Pat now - before my time but still know how good he was.

In a similar way, wish we could roll back the clock on McGregor 6-7 years.

Hopefully these guys and Gray will get the message across but much better having them on the pitch.

Can see a red card tonight.

RossScott1991
10-02-2022, 12:13 PM
Still keeping a level head in regards to Maloney, this is the main problem area. Someone supporting striker getting in the box and a creative midfielder will go a long way to making things better. Hopefully addressed properly in the summer.

Short term problem atm is figuring a way to score goals and win the odd game. But long term to push on the midfield / options off the bench needs a complete revamp

Ozyhibby
10-02-2022, 12:56 PM
Still keeping a level head in regards to Maloney, this is the main problem area. Someone supporting striker getting in the box and a creative midfielder will go a long way to making things better. Hopefully addressed properly in the summer.

Short term problem atm is figuring a way to score goals and win the odd game. But long term to push on the midfield / options off the bench needs a complete revamp

Maloney missed his chance to fix this. He’ll be gone by the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-C
10-02-2022, 12:58 PM

Still reading this drivel from you and a good few others, pathetic patter.

OldEast
10-02-2022, 01:00 PM

No he really won't.

andrew70
10-02-2022, 01:04 PM

Not a chance. Nor should he be.

Greencore
10-02-2022, 01:05 PM
No he really won't.

If he gets us relegated of course he will.

jacomo
10-02-2022, 01:39 PM
Still reading this drivel from you and a good few others, pathetic patter.

Yours is consistently worse.

Rather than accept other fans may not share your opinion, you’ve taken to insulting and belittling them at every opportunity.

Give it a rest.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2022, 02:23 PM

Rather than accept other fans may not share your opinion, you’ve taken to insulting and belittling them at every opportunity.

Give it a rest.

Correct.

hibee-boys
10-02-2022, 02:33 PM
This is no slight on Lewis, who I think did a good job last night, the fact that we’re having to play our back up defender in such a key position at ibrox says it all about our recruitment. Other than Newell, who I think is having a good season, I currently have zero confidence in anyone at the club contributing much in the centre of midfield, it’s a worry at this stage of the season.

J-C
10-02-2022, 02:55 PM

Give it a rest.

Really, the hatred toward the new manager since Ross got booted is quite exceptional, sniping and digs at him and his coaches at every opportunity is becoming draining.

We became pish when Ross was in charge and unfortunately that won't change any time soon until we get rid of a good few players who are still not good enough for us.

We have post after post on numerous threads calling him Cathro MK2, a cone coach etc etc, do these fans actually think it was all going to be rosy and we'd be pushing for champions league within a fortnight? This place has become toxic recently and when certain posters continue with their obvious agenda, I and some others on here will call them out on it.

I have never gotten this looking up to a manager like a starry eyed girl like some fans have done, especially with Ross, support the team and not the manager.

bigwheel
10-02-2022, 03:06 PM
Really, the hatred toward the new manager since Ross got booted is quite exceptional, sniping and digs at him and his coaches at every opportunity is becoming draining.

We became pish when Ross was in charge and unfortunately that won't change any time soon until we get rid of a good few players who are still not good enough for us.

We have post after post on numerous threads calling him Cathro MK2, a cone coach etc etc, do these fans actually think it was all going to be rosy and we'd be pushing for champions league within a fortnight? This place has become toxic recently and when certain posters continue with their obvious agenda, I and some others on here will call them out on it.

I have never gotten this looking up to a manager like a starry eyed girl like some fans have done, especially with Ross, support the team and not the manager.

I accept the Ross love in from a very few posters will be frustrating…but some people (including yourself) have gone from celebrating Maloney to now saying we have not got good enough players to succeed .

We are talking about beating the likes of Livi, St Mirren , Arbroath etc. not competing for the league . We were top of the league when Ryan got sent off at Ibrox. People will get behind Maloney when he wins some games - simple as that . It’s completely reasonable currently , as we struggle to even look like winning , that he and the team get criticised . It’s also fair that people occasionally ponder how sensible the selection of Maloney was .

I actually thought there were some useful signs last night , particularly from a makeshift side . But this narrative that it’s not Maloney, it’s the players are not good enough ..is absolutely not true and ignores completely the disjointed look of the side since the winter break .

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2022, 03:07 PM

Non of this excuses personal abuse of other posters.

jacomo
10-02-2022, 03:16 PM

Take some responsibility for your own behaviour. If we all do then this board will become a nicer place.

Some of the criticism of Maloney is out of order but I’ve seen you lashing out at folk who are making very reasonable observations.

Steve Austin
10-02-2022, 04:47 PM
Take some responsibility for your own behaviour. If we all do then this board will become a nicer place.

Some of the criticism of Maloney is out of order but I’ve seen you lashing out at folk who are making very reasonable observations.

we all need to get behind the new management team ,there’s gonna be bumps in the road for sure!:agree:
We as fans can see we have a need for a physical presence in centre mid with some drive and dig etc,I’m sure we shall see changes in the summer window until he gets the players he wants to get our club challenging at the top end of the table etc ,consistently and playing attacking fast paced football.
we all need to take a breath and see the bigger picture:wink:

Ozyhibby
10-02-2022, 05:06 PM

Where have I expressed any hatred towards Maloney? Seems like a nice enough guy.
All I made was a prediction.

Ozyhibby
10-02-2022, 05:07 PM
we all need to get behind the new management team ,there’s gonna be bumps in the road for sure!:agree:
We as fans can see we have a need for a physical presence in centre mid with some drive and dig etc,I’m sure we shall see changes in the summer window until he gets the players he wants to get our club challenging at the top end of the table etc ,consistently and playing attacking fast paced football.
we all need to take a breath and see the bigger picture:wink:

We as fans saw those problems before the window opened. Unfortunately Maloney didn’t.

sauzeelegod
10-02-2022, 05:37 PM
I’d like to see Henderson in centre mid as a box to box. Next to Newell when he’s fit again.

J-C
10-02-2022, 06:24 PM
I accept the Ross love in from a very few posters will be frustrating…but some people (including yourself) have gone from celebrating Maloney to now saying we have not got good enough players to succeed .

We are talking about beating the likes of Livi, St Mirren , Arbroath etc. not competing for the league . We were top of the league when Ryan got sent off at Ibrox. People will get behind Maloney when he wins some games - simple as that . It’s completely reasonable currently , as we struggle to even look like winning , that he and the team get criticised . It’s also fair that people occasionally ponder how sensible the selection of Maloney was .

I actually thought there were some useful signs last night , particularly from a makeshift side . But this narrative that it’s not Maloney, it’s the players are not good enough ..is absolutely not true and ignores completely the disjointed look of the side since the winter break .

I never once celebrated Maloney coming here, I looked forward to seeing what he could do as Ross's tenure was at an end, I remember Maloney as a player and remember him being a very good winger at international level.

I still say a good few of these players are just not good enough, I said it during Ross's era and say it again now. Maloney needs time to get his players in before we can criticise him, I just find it bizarre after just 8-9 games people want him out the door.

J-C
10-02-2022, 06:27 PM
I’d like to see Henderson in centre mid as a box to box. Next to Newell when he’s fit again.

That's a good shout and probably why he was brought in, I was surprised to see he's around 6ft tall.

bigwheel
10-02-2022, 06:33 PM
I never once celebrated Maloney coming here, I looked forward to seeing what he could do as Ross's tenure was at an end, I remember Maloney as a player and remember him being a very good winger at international level.

I still say a good few of these players are just not good enough, I said it during Ross's era and say it again now. Maloney needs time to get his players in before we can criticise him, I just find it bizarre after just 8-9 games people want him out the door.

They’ve proven last year and the start of this they are more than good enough . There is no basis for your views . there’s always extreme views on social media . There’s a few who have given up but Most people are simply worried. Why criticise and try to shut down those views at times , rather than understand and explore ?

I can absolutely get why it will frustrate people when posters are hammering our new manager so early on ….but simply blaming the players and not questioning Maloney’s inability to get decent performance levels lacks balance too .

J-C
10-02-2022, 07:01 PM
They’ve proven last year and the start of this they are more than good enough . There is no basis for your views . there’s always extreme views on social media . There’s a few who have given up but Most people are simply worried. Why criticise and try to shut down those views at times , rather than understand and explore ?

I can absolutely get why it will frustrate people when posters are hammering our new manager so early on ….but simply blaming the players and not questioning Maloney’s inability to get decent performance levels lacks balance too .

They did do well last year, we can all acknowledge that but this is another season and after a very decent start we lost Magennis and the wheels came off with form dropping like a stone, Ross struggled to change it and now even Maloney is struggling. Injuries have not been kind to us but that also shows the severe lack of depth we have at the club, we relied heavily on Boyle and as we've seen since his move the goals have also dried up. I like how he's looked at the pace of the team and brought in decent wide players but not addressing the midfield is baffling, seeing as we let Hallberg go, ER is a tight place for rumours nowadays and we don't know if they were in for someone but it never happened. JDH has went backwards since the start and Campbell is not god enough for where we want to be, this makes loaning Tait out a bit strange, seeing he was a stand out for Raith this 1st part of the season.

We're in another transition, no point moaning, just lets hope it all starts clicking soon, I can see a few good things but until we need to get out best players on the pitch soon.

londonhibby
10-02-2022, 07:18 PM
It's not as if there's not some decent centre-mid free agents out there though: https://www.transfermarkt.com/nebojsa-kosovic/profil/spieler/184171
Full international, decent CV, not too old, just become available, and will be well within our wage structure.
Club maybe need to think outside the box.

bigwheel
10-02-2022, 07:21 PM
They did do well last year, we can all acknowledge that but this is another season and after a very decent start we lost Magennis and the wheels came off with form dropping like a stone, Ross struggled to change it and now even Maloney is struggling. Injuries have not been kind to us but that also shows the severe lack of depth we have at the club, we relied heavily on Boyle and as we've seen since his move the goals have also dried up. I like how he's looked at the pace of the team and brought in decent wide players but not addressing the midfield is baffling, seeing as we let Hallberg go, ER is a tight place for rumours nowadays and we don't know if they were in for someone but it never happened. JDH has went backwards since the start and Campbell is not god enough for where we want to be, this makes loaning Tait out a bit strange, seeing he was a stand out for Raith this 1st part of the season.

We're in another transition, no point moaning, just lets hope it all starts clicking soon, I can see a few good things but until we need to get out best players on the pitch soon.

Don’t disagree with any of that ….

SlickShoes
10-02-2022, 07:31 PM
People would have been raging if we signed a midfielder in the summer window, we had tonnes of them, sadly only a few are decent now and 2 of those are out injured.

I am willing to accept that the quality on offer this January wasn't going to provide what we wanted without paying someone well over the odds.

I hope it is a gamble that results in us finishing in the top 6 now and improving next season.

Smartie
10-02-2022, 07:37 PM
I was quite encouraged by how Lewis played there last night.

Is there any reason why he shouldn't be the answer for this season, if the others aren't going to cut it?

It's not like he's never played there before, he's got loads of experience playing the position.

I do think that there is possibly a tactical problem as much as a personnel one - our odd new formation will leave us with 2 in there against 3 quite a lot, and I'm not convinced we'll ever have 2 of sufficient ability to go head to head with 3. I even remember John McGinn struggling to cope in such a situation at times.

Unseen work
10-02-2022, 07:38 PM
Dylan Levitt is out of contract at Man Utd this summer.

Forward passing ball playing centre mid.

21 years old and already 10 caps for Wales, impressed for Dundee United this season

J-C
10-02-2022, 07:53 PM

Is there any reason why he shouldn't be the answer for this season, if the others aren't going to cut it?

It's not like he's never played there before, he's got loads of experience playing the position.

I do think that there is possibly a tactical problem as much as a personnel one - our odd new formation will leave us with 2 in there against 3 quite a lot, and I'm not convinced we'll ever have 2 of sufficient ability to go head to head with 3. I even remember John McGinn struggling to cope in such a situation at times.

Not the answer but like you I was impressed with how he played, if Maloney is going to maybe go 4231 then Lewis in there as the holding mid would certainly stiffen up the middle, he can tackle better than most and his passing is also good.

J-C
10-02-2022, 07:54 PM
People would have been raging if we signed a midfielder in the summer window, we had tonnes of them, sadly only a few are decent now and 2 of those are out injured.

I am willing to accept that the quality on offer this January wasn't going to provide what we wanted without paying someone well over the odds.

I hope it is a gamble that results in us finishing in the top 6 now and improving next season.

But we nearly did at the last minute, McGrath.

B.H.F.C
10-02-2022, 08:40 PM

We did sign a midfielder in the summer window. The fact he’s turning out to be crap is giving us a big problem though.

Iain G
11-02-2022, 05:25 AM
Now we know why we didn't sign a midfielder in January!!! Shaun has connections 😁

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/10/leicester-city-reduce-asking-price-for-arsenal-and-man-utd-to-sign-youri-tielemans-16083647/

JimBHibees
11-02-2022, 05:56 AM

He can certainly play there until Newell is fit. If he can play there at Ibrox he can play there in other games.

heretoday
11-02-2022, 01:25 PM
He can certainly play there until Newell is fit. If he can play there at Ibrox he can play there in other games.

I've always thought Stevenson should play further forward. Was that not his position when he starred in the CIS cup final?

Crab apple
11-02-2022, 01:29 PM
I've always thought Stevenson should play further forward. Was that not his position when he starred in the CIS cup final?

He was indeed. And he played a blinder.

MWHIBBIES
11-02-2022, 01:32 PM

By far his best and more consistent performances have been at left back.

grahamie04
11-02-2022, 02:07 PM
Why was Jamie Mcgrath not signed? £150K for a proven stand out performer in the SPL and at an age where there is plenty of development to come. With his ability and age he woud have been an asset to the club. Current midfield is nowhere near good enough.

JDH is too pedestrian and doesnt seem to have any improvement in him. Josh Campbell just is not good enough, he's mid championship standard. Ewan Henderson bang average. And Scott Allan's best days are behind him unfortunately.

SlickShoes
11-02-2022, 02:18 PM
We did sign a midfielder in the summer window. The fact he’s turning out to be crap is giving us a big problem though.

Well yes but if we had also signed another, and we almost did but the paperwork went in the bin instead of fax machine

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2022, 03:21 PM
Why was Jamie Mcgrath not signed? £150K for a proven stand out performer in the SPL and at an age where there is plenty of development to come. With his ability and age he woud have been an asset to the club. Current midfield is nowhere near good enough.

JDH is too pedestrian and doesnt seem to have any improvement in him. Josh Campbell just is not good enough, he's mid championship standard. Ewan Henderson bang average. And Scott Allan's best days are behind him unfortunately.

Would you think it might be because Wigan offered more wages than we did?

JimBHibees
11-02-2022, 03:22 PM
Would you think it might be because Wigan offered more wages than we did?

And because he wanted to try English football :agree:

JimBHibees
11-02-2022, 03:23 PM

Good first post slaughtering four Hibs players :greengrin

flash
11-02-2022, 03:27 PM

Bit rough on Henderson that.

JohnM1875
11-02-2022, 03:31 PM
Bit rough on Henderson that.

Very. Think Henderson is getting better the more minutes he's playing. Has a great first touch and good close control. Think he'll be a player for us the rest of the season.

JimBHibees
11-02-2022, 04:08 PM
Very. Think Henderson is getting better the more minutes he's playing. Has a great first touch and good close control. Think he'll be a player for us the rest of the season.

Very good technical player the weight on his passes are superb. Just needs games and he will create. Is quite light but think he will only get better as still a young guy

Real Emerald
11-02-2022, 04:54 PM
Very good technical player the weight on his passes are superb. Just needs games and he will create. Is quite light but think he will only get better as still a young guy

Agree with this, Henderson strikes the ball very well with good dangerous crosses and well weighted passes. He’ll get better and better especially with a good midfield around him and strikers that can get onto his crosses.

I also think he’ll end up being a great option for free kicks, we’ve went a long time since we had anyone who would regularly get goals from free kicks.

JimBHibees
11-02-2022, 05:00 PM
Agree with this, Henderson strikes the ball very well with good dangerous crosses and well weighted passes. He’ll get better and better especially with a good midfield around him and strikers that can get onto his crosses.

I also think he’ll end up being a great option for free kicks, we’ve went a long time since we had anyone who would regularly get goals from free kicks.

Agree actually thought Mitchell's strike on Wednesday was a reasonable effort

wookie70
11-02-2022, 08:03 PM
I'd like to see Lewis get a run at holding mid. It might give Newell more freedom and he looks good in games like the Derby where he is driving forward. Lewis looks to play it forward far more than JDH too. Only problem is we can't then play him on the left where imo he is better than Doig

Leith Green
11-02-2022, 08:09 PM
I'd like to see Lewis get a run at holding mid. It might give Newell more freedom and he looks good in games like the Derby where he is driving forward. Lewis looks to play it forward far more than JDH too. Only problem is we can't then play him on the left where imo he is better than Doig

Its a total shambles that we are having to look at options like that currently to find a solution.. I honestly cant believe the squad building of past 2 years

w pilton hibby
11-02-2022, 09:24 PM
Why was Jamie Mcgrath not signed?

Because he never wanted to sign for a Scottish club

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/former-st-mirren-star-jamie-26198220

Possibly why the summer transfer fell through.