PDA

View Full Version : Ggtth

Colr
30-01-2022, 08:30 PM
Pish, surely:

“ The Scottish club Hibernian may be the first club to release the song as a single; "Glory, Glory to the Hibees" by Hector Nicol is believed to have been recorded in the late 1950s.[1][2] In English football, Tottenham Hotspur is thought to be the first English club to sing the song as a football chant in 1960 when they prevented Wolves from achieving the double in April 1960, but became a popular chant for the club in 1961.”

I would have thought this went way back given the popularity of American Civil War songs in the 19th Century and their appropriation.

Any historians know better?

The song is, I think, the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

wookie70
30-01-2022, 09:00 PM
Not sure any Civil War teams released it as a single or played in the English Leagues though

Greenfly
30-01-2022, 09:06 PM
Pish, surely:

“ The Scottish club Hibernian may be the first club to release the song as a single; "Glory, Glory to the Hibees" by Hector Nicol is believed to have been recorded in the late 1950s.[1][2] In English football, Tottenham Hotspur is thought to be the first English club to sing the song as a football chant in 1960 when they prevented Wolves from achieving the double in April 1960, but became a popular chant for the club in 1961.”

I would have thought this went way back given the popularity of American Civil War songs in the 19th Century and their appropriation.

Any historians know better?

The song is, I think, the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

"Battle Hymn of the Republic" is the tune and is attributed to William Steffe. Julia Ward Howe (American suffragette, slavery abolitionist and all round campaigner for social justice) wrote the famous hymn "Mine eyes have seen the glory" (aka "Battle Hymn etc. ) to to the tune. "John Brown's Body" is sung to the same tune but has nothing to do with the ex-hun or any of Mrs. Brown's Boys.

Mick O'Rourke
30-01-2022, 09:38 PM
When i was a schoolboy early sixties, i had a friend from the South of England who stayed in Clermiston with an Auntie during the school holidays.
A Spurs fan he was. Be around the time Spurs did the famous Double.
With more than a sprinkling of Scottish players in the side !

He would sing "Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur.. as the Spurs go marching on" to my giving it GGTTH !!
Be interesting to know if they picked it up from our version.
Communications,of course,back then were not like today.
Football on telly in its infancy.And not much of it.

Yes "Battle hymn of the Republic" is the original tune.
It would be associated with the Union Army during the American Civil War .
"Dixie" or Dixie Land" being the Confederate Southern Army anthem.

Colr
30-01-2022, 09:38 PM
"Battle Hymn of the Republic" is the tune and is attributed to William Steffe. Julia Ward Howe (American suffragette, slavery abolitionist and all round campaigner for social justice) wrote the famous hymn "Mine eyes have seen the glory" (aka "Battle Hymn etc. ) to to the tune. "John Brown's Body" is sung to the same tune but has nothing to do with the ex-hun or any of Mrs. Brown's Boys.

The Hun prefer While We were Marching Through Georgia.

I’d assumed the name Rangers had a US connection.

Mick O'Rourke
30-01-2022, 09:57 PM
The Hun prefer While We were Marching Through Georgia.

I’d assumed the name Rangers had a US connection.

You are not far away with that.
A number of military forces the English/British used in the American Revolutionary and Indian Wars named "Rangers"
"'Rodger's Rangers" being one of the most famous.
Also Irish Regiments (British Army) had Rangers in the name.
Royal Irish Rangers, for example.
It appears though the Glasgow Rangers had that name before large numbers of Northern Irish protestants,working in Clyde/Govan shipyards, adopted Rangers in opposition to the Catholic Celtic.

Mick O'Rourke
30-01-2022, 10:02 PM
Not sure any Civil War teams released it as a single or played in the English Leagues though

Gettysburg Arsenal?