PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson Captain

dp00
29-01-2022, 11:17 PM
What’s the story with Stevenson being captain in the last few games ? I thought mcginn was vice captain ?

Generally no good for moral changing captains I would guess unless it’s something mcginn has asked for of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
29-01-2022, 11:28 PM
I love Stevenson but I’ve never thought of him as a potential captain.

But then again I can’t think of many contenders ahead of him in our current team.

Perhaps therein lies part of our problem?

Stevie Reid
29-01-2022, 11:33 PM
McGinn was vice captain under Ross, maybe that’s changed. Makes zero difference anyway, and perfectly happy for Lewis to have the armband.

CMac1988
29-01-2022, 11:40 PM
Given the team on the pitch he was the obvious choice. I'm not fussed with Hanlon as Captain and equally Stevenson but McGinn was only ever vice captain due Stevenson's limited game time last season. They're experience and time.with the club makes them the best choice until someone with actual leadership abilities on the pitch comes along.

theonlywayisup
30-01-2022, 05:12 AM
I love Stevenson but I’ve never thought of him as a potential captain.

But then again I can’t think of many contenders ahead of him in our current team.

Perhaps therein lies part of our problem?

Yes, no leaders in this team, so why not Stevenson. But, he's not a leader.

There's a phrase that gets mentioned many times - you're only as good as your weakest player. When Hibs have had good teams in recent years, Lewis Stevenson has often been picked on as that weakest player. However, in recent games, he's been one of our better performers.

Yesterday, in the early part of the game, Stevenson started to pick out some great passes to players in space and things started off well for Hibs. His passing got us on the front foot. However, it all seemed to fall apart during the first half and became non-existent in the second half. Was that Stevenson's fault, or that of his teammates? When things started to get difficult, far too many of our team goes into hiding. We've no leaders that have the strength of character on the pitch to change the flow of the game.

WestCoastHibby
30-01-2022, 07:08 AM
Captains are an outdated concept. You’ve got a second team of coaches and subs in the “bud-stop” that should be able to get tactics and instructions onto the pitch

Alfred E Newman
30-01-2022, 07:24 AM
When Stevenson was subbed yesterday he never passed the armband on to anyone else.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-01-2022, 07:30 AM
What’s the story with Stevenson being captain in the last few games ? I thought mcginn was vice captain ?

Generally no good for moral changing captains I would guess unless it’s something mcginn has asked for of course

Is it not a Bit of a stretch to assume is not good for morale?
lit players can’t work with the manager and get behind his decisions they’ll have a bit of a bumpy time away Yer

Viva_Palmeiras
30-01-2022, 07:32 AM
When Stevenson was subbed yesterday he never passed the armband on to anyone else.

What could it possibly mean? Sometimes I think we can over-analyse things. but maybe the notion of captain is a flexible one - we needs a grouo prepared to take collective and individual responsibility

Centre Hawf
30-01-2022, 10:49 AM
What could it possibly mean? Sometimes I think we can over-analyse things. but maybe the notion of captain is a flexible one - we needs a grouo prepared to take collective and individual responsibility

I think Captains are largely overrated. You don’t need an armband to do your job and motivate the team. It’s largely ceremonial and means you speak the ref the most.

It very well could be after McGinns comments about the ref the club decided to take him away from needing to speak to them during a game. If Stevenson has a good relationship with them then it’s probably for the best.

monarch
30-01-2022, 11:29 AM
This thread highlights the fact that we lack a leader or someone to raise the morale of the team.

After Livy scored, while they celebrated in front of their fans, our guys just stood looking sorry for themselves while waiting to klick off and restart the game. Nobody was shouting or geeing the side up. Oh for a Scott Brown type or an onfield David Gray.

B.H.F.C
30-01-2022, 12:10 PM
Whether it’s someone wearing an armband or not, we lack any real character in the team. There is nobody there who is going to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drag the rest of them along.

It’s just a collection of players and some of them don’t give a toss and have contributed nowhere near enough. Glad there are a number of contracts coming to an end in the summer. Worries me that there is nobody there who’s going to get them going on Tuesday because it’s evident a number of them can’t do it for themselves.

Daily Hibs
11-02-2022, 12:05 PM
With Stevenson being captain in recent weeks, does anyone know how many times he's been captain for Hibs? Is this available on Hibs stats?

I'd also be curious to know how many games we've won with him as Captain? Every time he's captained us lately he has been subbed which I find strange with him starting as captain?

JimBHibees
11-02-2022, 12:39 PM
With Stevenson being captain in recent weeks, does anyone know how many times he's been captain for Hibs? Is this available on Hibs stats?

I'd also be curious to know how many games we've won with him as Captain? Every time he's captained us lately he has been subbed which I find strange with him starting as captain?

Best professional at the club makes total sense to be captain. Was great when he showed his qualities charging out and saving the free kick v Hearts :greengrin

heretoday
11-02-2022, 01:22 PM
Hibs need someone to give the team a bollocking on the pitch. I suggest Porteous. I just don't see Lewis in that sort of role.

bigwheel
11-02-2022, 01:26 PM
Hibs need someone to give the team a bollocking on the pitch. I suggest Porteous. I just don't see Lewis in that sort of role.

Have you watched Porto? He does it every game …he doesn’t need the armband , to be a leader

Since452
11-02-2022, 01:34 PM
Everyone loves Lewis. He's a model pro and great servant as we all know but i could imagine him appologising to himself in the mirror brushing his teeth in the moring. Thats just his nature and there's nothing wrong with that but we're in a scrap right now. Players look to their captain for insperation. David Gray had that in abundance driving us up the park. Brilliant captian, speaks well etc. Just had something about him. The only one i could look at right now and say he could have that effect is Ryan Porteous. Might mature him. I'm saying all this from the outside looking in so Maloney might see it differently working with them daily.

Hibernian Verse
11-02-2022, 01:34 PM
Have you watched Porto? He does it every game …he doesn’t need the armband , to be a leader

He's usually blaming someone else for his mistakes though.

bigwheel
11-02-2022, 01:38 PM
He's usually blaming someone else for his mistakes though.

Shakes head *

wookie70
11-02-2022, 01:42 PM

He is not shy in pointing fingers but he makes so many mistakes of his own making you would have to wonder if anyone would take any notice. Someone shouting at you doesn't mean they are leaders. Give me a Lewis as Captain everyday. He never bottles a challenge, very rarely has his head down sulking and always comes off the park having given everything. That is leadership material for me and I would play him in front of JDH in that position as he is a better defender and passer.

MWHIBBIES
11-02-2022, 01:44 PM

This isn't 1980. The team needs confidence and proper direction. Yelling a bit does nothing anymore.

bigwheel
11-02-2022, 01:45 PM
He is not shy in pointing fingers but he makes so many mistakes of his own making you would have to wonder if anyone would take any notice. Someone shouting at you doesn't mean they are leaders. Give me a Lewis as Captain everyday. He never bottles a challenge, very rarely has his head down sulking and always comes off the park having given everything. That is leadership material for me and I would play him in front of JDH in that position as he is a better defender and passer.

Porto is the defensive leader in the team. That’s not my view - it is from the players who play alongside him , the experienced heads too . The days of Captains armband being key are largely over. Lewis is my favourite . Delighted to see him lead the team out . But Porto is much more likely to be the demanding player in the team, than anyone else . We could do with a few more .

wookie70
11-02-2022, 03:16 PM
Porto is the defensive leader in the team. That’s not my view - it is from the players who play alongside him , the experienced heads too . The days of Captains armband being key are largely over. Lewis is my favourite . Delighted to see him lead the team out . But Porto is much more likely to be the demanding player in the team, than anyone else . We could do with a few more .

Can't recall the players saying that but no doubting his drive. He could turn the volume down a bit and use some of that energy to make some better decisions and focus better. He could be an outstanding player but as a leader I would want someone who is reliable and that is definitely not Ryan. I rate him highly by the way and centre halves tend to mature later. In 2 or 3 years he may well be able to point and shout and others take notice but for me I see little evidence of that now.

loanheadhibby
11-02-2022, 04:26 PM
Best professional at the club makes total sense to be captain. Was great when he showed his qualities charging out and saving the free kick v Hearts :greengrin
Think VAR may have got involved over that incident.

JimBHibees
11-02-2022, 04:35 PM
Think VAR may have got involved over that incident.

Maybe never a pen though

Pretty Boy
11-02-2022, 04:38 PM
The days of a captain being on the park to give players a mouthful or whatever are long gone.

Off the park most teams have a leadership group of a few senior pros who take any issues to the management team. On the park it's largely a ceremonial thing albeit a player who leads by example is always welcome. Stevenson certainly fits the bill in that regard, even now he's a 7/10 most weeks.

Guys like Scott Brown and even Roy Keane had a mouth but it was largely their performances on the park that commanded repsect from teammates and opponents alike. Never shirked a tackle, hard workers and again never less than a 7/10.

Unseen work
11-02-2022, 04:45 PM
I like Stevenson as a captain.

Great professional, very consistent and most importantly a good performer and he’s a hardy *******! Think it gets overlooked sometimes just how aggressive and solid he is because he’s short and is a nice guy off the pitch.

Make no mistake on the pitch he takes no nonsense.

He’s also willing to have a go at players and tell them if they’ve made a mistake.

I love how he goes off his head whenever we lose a goal.

This season he’s been brilliant imo and actually annoys me when people say he’s a solid 6/10 every week. This season he’s been more than that in a different position and hasn’t let us down.

Love him.

JimBHibees
11-02-2022, 04:51 PM

Great professional, very consistent and most importantly a good performer and he’s a hardy *******! Think it gets overlooked sometimes just how aggressive and solid he is because he’s short and is a nice guy off the pitch.

He’s also willing to have a go at players and tell them if they’ve made a mistake.

This season he’s been brilliant imo and actually annoys me when people say he’s a solid 6/10 every week. This season he’s been more than that in a different position and hasn’t let us down.

Love him.

Yep my favourite Hibs player in this team great professional and has made a brilliant career for himself.

Centre Hawf
11-02-2022, 06:02 PM

Love him.

Another season where he hasn't let us down despite being called upon to do multiple roles.

As many have said the era of shouty captain is gone. People can shout without the band and certain folk will listen. What Lewis brings from my point of view is experience and most likely a rapport with the referee's that Porteous doesn't have.

O'Rourke3
12-02-2022, 08:33 AM
I'm not sure we have ever won a game he has been captain If I was superstitious I'd suggest he's unlucky rather than poor. The first time he captained the side(I think) was his 400th game and we lost 0 -3 to Morton when we were battering everyone else. Never hides never shirks and leads by example.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

LewysGot2
12-02-2022, 02:15 PM
We won’t know what we’ve got till it’s gone.

absolutely one of a kind

B.H.F.C
12-02-2022, 03:21 PM

Love him.

I think it’s a stretch to say he’s been brilliant. Nobody has been brilliant for us this year. It’s not his fault he’s played as much but my heart sank when I saw he was playing in central midfield the other night (more on the reflection on what we’ve done than it is him though). He cares and really wants to win but we need more than that (again not really a reflection on him because when he signed his new deal I don’t think he was meant to play as much as he has). What Lewis gives us would be fine if he was filling in for players in a decent team but were looking at him to solve our problems now which I’m not sure he will although I’d probably still play him in the middle of the park tomorrow.

stoneyburn hibs
12-02-2022, 10:46 PM
This isn't 1980. The team needs confidence and proper direction. Yelling a bit does nothing anymore.

How so ?

Stokesy's on fire
12-02-2022, 11:21 PM
Lewis Stevenson is a quality player for the club and he would be a worthy captain but lets not get hung up on the Captain Label our whole squad should be leading from the players on the pitch to the ones on the bench. Every player has a duty to lead.

Smartie
12-02-2022, 11:25 PM
I think it’s a stretch to say he’s been brilliant. Nobody has been brilliant for us this year. It’s not his fault he’s played as much but my heart sank when I saw he was playing in central midfield the other night (more on the reflection on what we’ve done than it is him though). He cares and really wants to win but we need more than that (again not really a reflection on him because when he signed his new deal I don’t think he was meant to play as much as he has). What Lewis gives us would be fine if he was filling in for players in a decent team but were looking at him to solve our problems now which I’m not sure he will although I’d probably still play him in the middle of the park tomorrow.

I think he has been brilliant this season. It's easy to overlook because he's been in a crap team.

Not much more could have been asked of him. His individual performances have been of a consistently high standard.

RIP
12-02-2022, 11:50 PM
He is not shy in pointing fingers but he makes so many mistakes of his own making you would have to wonder if anyone would take any notice. Someone shouting at you doesn't mean they are leaders.

Give me a Lewis as Captain everyday. He never bottles a challenge, very rarely has his head down sulking and always comes off the park having given everything.

That is leadership material for me and I would play him in front of JDH in that position as he is a better defender and passer.

That’s where I am on them both. Maloney is clearly trying to coach Porto into a more mature professional which will hopefully smooth off his rough edges. Mistakes and misjudgements were a feature of his game either side of Christmas starting with the tackle at Ibrox when we were leading 1-0. Been steadier of late.

hibee_girl
13-02-2022, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure we have ever won a game he has been captain If I was superstitious I'd suggest he's unlucky rather than poor. The first time he captained the side(I think) was his 400th game and we lost 0 -3 to Morton when we were battering everyone else. Never hides never shirks and leads by example.

He's won one as captain now :thumbsup:

FilipinoHibs
13-02-2022, 01:39 PM
Great in central mid direct and forward orientated.

AgentDaleCooper

was he not captain when we beat the huns at ibrox in 2018?

Stubbsy90+2
Outstanding today

Willis1875
13-02-2022, 01:42 PM
Outstanding today

Have we been playing him in the wrong position for the past 14/15 years

Crunchie
13-02-2022, 01:49 PM
John Collins would say yes :greengrin

The guy deserves a statue outside the famous five I'm telling you, his application and desire is faultless, another great performance from the wee man.

Mike Berry
13-02-2022, 01:54 PM
John Collins would say yes :greengrin

The guy deserves a statue outside the famous five I'm telling you, his application and desire is faultless, another great performance from the wee man.This, with bells on. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

KDY Hibs
13-02-2022, 01:56 PM
His aggressive tackle early on set the tone for us today, great effort!

Borderhibbie76
13-02-2022, 01:56 PM
Rolled back the years today.. the midfielder we've been crying out for for weeks...he even made JDH play much better

hibeg
13-02-2022, 01:57 PM
Excellent midfield display in the first half.

EdinMike
13-02-2022, 02:04 PM
Seems like he’s finally found his best position… took a while 😅 What a legend.

Northernhibee
13-02-2022, 02:09 PM
If you put him working in the pie stand then Easter Road would be a three Michelin star venue. He’s just that sort of guy.

HibbyAndy
13-02-2022, 02:09 PM
Was superb today , Made some superb passes down the line and great ball for the 1st goal

HIBS NUTS
13-02-2022, 02:15 PM
Was superb today , Made some superb passes down the line and great ball for the 1st goal

He was brilliant today, and always gives 100, however don’t start thinking we’ve found a fantastic new midfielder 😁

Malthibby
13-02-2022, 02:24 PM
Nothernhibbie nailed it, we have to stop Stevenson ageing. He's too exposed at full-back now & was so much more comfortable in midfield, did remind me of the 5:1 cup final.
GG

CLASS OF 72 -73
13-02-2022, 02:32 PM
Never been Stevenson's biggest fan (I'm obviously wrong of course as every manager has stuck with him) but he has been brilliant recently.
:not worth

Sean1875
13-02-2022, 02:36 PM
I absolutely adore him

Since452
13-02-2022, 02:39 PM
Have we been missing a trick all these years not playing him in midfield?

Bad Habits
13-02-2022, 03:13 PM
Fabulous player, has really set a benchmark level of performance for the rest of the team!

hibeejeebies
13-02-2022, 03:16 PM
If you put him working in the pie stand then Easter Road would be a three Michelin star venue. He’s just that sort of guy.

😁

judas
13-02-2022, 04:17 PM
If captaincy is about leading by example our legend Lewis Stevenson is the man.

And make no mistake about it, Lewis is a Hibs legend.

Silky
13-02-2022, 04:52 PM
I think he's a better captain than Hanlon. I often find that Hanlon is not that vocal, especially with officials. In many teams, there are captains who will question bad decisions, constant hacking and other stuff. Hanlon doesn't do that. On the occasions I've seen him as captain, Stevenson has shouted the odds and questioned decisions. I think that can be important.

JohnM1875
13-02-2022, 05:21 PM
The guy is unbelievable. Again thought he was MOTM today.

Thought Miller sold him short on commentary with this 'He just does the basics well' I'm sorry, but he is much better than that! Central mid, left back, centre back it really doesn't matter. The guy is ****ing fantastic!

Rightly a club legend. We'll miss him so much when he retires.

theonlywayisup
13-02-2022, 06:23 PM
Excellent today!

worcesterhibby
13-02-2022, 09:58 PM
Great performance, what a guy !

hibsbollah
13-02-2022, 10:04 PM
Never been Stevenson's biggest fan (I'm obviously wrong of course as every manager has stuck with him) but he has been brilliant recently.
:not worth

Every manager has clearly been playing him out of position for 17 years. ****ing idiots.
If we’d have just followed what John Collins did with him in the 2007 final and his development trajectory had stayed the same we’d have a Fife Makelele on our hands by now.

truehibernian
13-02-2022, 10:10 PM
Every manager has clearly been playing him out of position for 17 years. ****ing idiots.
If we’d have just followed what John Collins did with him in the 2007 final and his development trajectory had stayed the same we’d have a Fife Makelele on our hands by now.

I'm taking credit bollah, for pointing out before Ibrox that we should move him into midfield - if only other managers had seen the ball playing centre half I saw in big Amadou :greengrin

hibsbollah
13-02-2022, 10:18 PM
I'm taking credit bollah, for pointing out before Ibrox that we should move him into midfield - if only other managers had seen the ball playing centre half I saw in big Amadou :greengrin

The Magician could play any position :agree: I saw him make a save in training once that had Simon Brown in tears. Mind you he had just stood on a training cone

gbhibby
13-02-2022, 10:20 PM

Looks like it. He should also be our first choice for taking corners.

USAHibee
13-02-2022, 11:28 PM
Looks like it. He should also be our first choice for taking corners.

Lewis is a living legend and is once again the first name on the team sheet, a joy to watch!

Carheenlea
13-02-2022, 11:35 PM
A very accomplished performance from Lewis in the midfield. He’s not the long term answer to our midfield shortcomings, but we are lucky to have such a reliable and versatile player who can perform at a decent standard in there.

jakeshibs
14-02-2022, 05:51 AM
He Led by example and was my MoM , be a fantastic servant to our club and on his performance deserves the armband.

JimBHibees
14-02-2022, 07:16 AM
We won’t know what we’ve got till it’s gone.

absolutely one of a kind

Spot on

Shrekko
14-02-2022, 08:12 AM
What is really easily forgotten is that he's 34- he not only looks younger but he has the energy of a 24 year old as well. He's absolutely unbelievable.

I felt for a while this season that he should have been back in the team as he is still our best left back, but this recent form in 4 different positions is just remarkable. You wonder whether we could see him around the team for another 3/4 years yet? He must still be one of the fittest, strongest, players at the club.

basehibby
14-02-2022, 08:54 AM
Absolute drivel to claim Stevenson has no leadership qualities - he leads consistently by example on and off the pitch and there is no more deserving player at the club to lead the team out on the pitch.

JimBHibees
14-02-2022, 08:57 AM
Absolute drivel to claim Stevenson has no leadership qualities - he leads consistently by example on and off the pitch and there is no more deserving player at the club to lead the team out on the pitch.

Spot on his leadership qualities are there to see. Blocking the free kick v Hearts late on leadership for all to see. Legend

superfurryhibby
14-02-2022, 09:03 AM

Has anyone actually said that? I'd be very surprised to see a HIbs fan posting such nonsense. Lewis is a warrior on the pitch and a great example to any of our young players of what you can achieve in the game with a professional approach.

JohnMcM
14-02-2022, 10:19 AM
He turned the clock back again yesterday with a MoM performance.

HIBS NUTS
14-02-2022, 02:49 PM
A very accomplished performance from Lewis in the midfield. He’s not the long term answer to our midfield shortcomings, but we are lucky to have such a reliable and versatile player who can perform at a decent standard in there.

Agree 100 percent with this, he isn’t the answer in midfield, but had a great game against Arbroath.
We are still very light in midfield, that’s why he played there.

The_Sauz
14-02-2022, 05:50 PM
You seemed surprised by his performance in midfield? You do know that's his natural position (left/centre midfield) :agree: The same goes for Paul Hanlon, who is a a natural left back!
That info comes from both players :aok:

cameronw-hfc
14-02-2022, 05:51 PM
Lewis was a standout at CM years back and even got player of the year around 10/11 im sure playing in the middle of the park. Might be off with the year but he's always done very well in there

HIBS NUTS
14-02-2022, 07:13 PM
You seemed surprised by his performance in midfield? You do know that's his natural position (left/centre midfield) :agree: The same goes for Paul Hanlon, who is a a natural left back!

If I remember right, think he’s been tried quite a few times in midfield since the league cup final, a few times unsuccessfully, possibly under Stubbs, think he actually got moved back to left back, as he didn’t play well.
I may be wrong about that .
He’s been brilliant overall for us 👍

MWHIBBIES
14-02-2022, 07:18 PM

I don't think Lewis doing well in midfield is surprising. But, he is far more experienced at left back. He reached a level at left back that he never achieved at centre mid.

Hanlon quite clearly a far better centre back than left back as well.

jacomo
14-02-2022, 07:22 PM
Agree 100 percent with this, he isn’t the answer in midfield, but had a great game against Arbroath.
We are still very light in midfield, that’s why he played there.

If he continues to perform well, he is the answer isn’t he? Or at least pushing Joe hard for a starting berth.

In previous seasons we had no real cover at left back / wing back but that’s not the case anymore.

HIBS NUTS
14-02-2022, 07:37 PM
If he continues to perform well, he is the answer isn’t he? Or at least pushing Joe hard for a starting berth.

In previous seasons we had no real cover at left back / wing back but that’s not the case anymore.

On his wiki page, it says he was employed as a left midfielder under terry butcher, I’m sure he played midfield under Stubbs when he took over.

AgentDaleCooper
14-02-2022, 10:51 PM

Not sure what you mean by 'natural' here...favourite, best or original position?

J-C
15-02-2022, 07:35 AM
Started off as a left sided midfielder, shunted out to LB but we've seen the last 2 games where he should've been playing. Superb pro, fit as a butcher's dug and a great mentor to the young lads coming through, one of my favourite ever Hibs players.

Unseen work
15-02-2022, 11:02 AM
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but what an assist that was

Composure and then quality to pick out Mitchell at the back post.

We don’t score nearly enough goals like that.

EdinMike
15-02-2022, 12:07 PM
https://twitter.com/spfl/status/1493555792074756097?s=21

Named in the team of the week, even on the right side of CM he’s that good !