PDA

View Full Version : Davie Rutherford RIP

offshorehibby
29-01-2022, 08:15 PM
The sad news that my best mate and best man Davie Rutherford passed away peacefully at home this afternoon. The spooky thing was was he waited till bang on 3 O'clock.

Davie was a lifelong Hibby with a ticket in the East. A lot of the 60 something Hibbys will know Davie from the 80’s and travelling on the Southern bus and some good laughs with inter branch football.

Davie had a very short battle with cancer and will be sadly missed by me and all that knew him.

Lancs Harp
29-01-2022, 08:18 PM
sorry for your and his family lost. Another spirit in the sky he'll be raising a glass with George tonight.

RIP fellow Hibby

truehibernian
29-01-2022, 08:22 PM
Really sorry to hear that, thoughts to his family and of course yourself mate.

DIXIHIBS
29-01-2022, 09:28 PM
RIP big davie. We had a lot of fun and a lot of laughs over the years. Taken far too soon.

joebakerforever
29-01-2022, 09:36 PM
Would he be big Davie who was also a big Speedway fan during the Powderhall days in 80's?

If so, he went on a memorable Speedway tour in my car to the World Final in Gothenburg Sweden, via Denmark, Sweden, Germany, France, & Belgium?

He managed to sniff out a couple of footy matches at Anderlecht & Aachen for us too.

He also ran our Speedway darts team who played their home matches at the Clan Tavern in Albert Street.

Great company whom we all shared many laughs with.

DIXIHIBS
29-01-2022, 09:39 PM
Would he be big Davie who was also a big Speedway fan during the Powderhall days in 80's?

If so, he went on a memorable Speedway tour in my car to the World Final in Gothenburg Sweden, via Denmark, Sweden, Germany, France, & Belgium?

He managed to sniff out a couple of footy matches at Anderlecht & Aachen for us too.

He also ran our Speedway darts team who played their home matches at the Clan Tavern in Albert Street.

Great company whom we all shared many laughs with.

Yes he is the same big davie.

Nakedmanoncrack
29-01-2022, 10:21 PM
Didn't know him well, but knew of him, RIP Davie.

ronaldo7
30-01-2022, 05:47 AM
The sad news that my best mate and best man Davie Rutherford passed away peacefully at home this afternoon. The spooky thing was was he waited till bang on 3 O'clock.

Davie was a lifelong Hibby with a ticket in the East. A lot of the 60 something Hibbys will know Davie from the 80’s and travelling on the Southern bus and some good laughs with inter branch football.

Davie had a very short battle with cancer and will be sadly missed by me and all that knew him.

Sorry to hear that J.

RIP big guy. Condolences to all his family and friends.

Crunchie
30-01-2022, 07:13 AM

I first met Davie on that same bus and he was a gentleman and epitomised the phrase 'gentle giant' I'm truly gutted to hear this. He sat a few rows down from us in the east and I always shouted to him when I went down the stairs.
I used to see him a lot back in the 90s when I think he was working as a carer, my memory is hazy on that one but he came to my work a few times with someone and we'd chat for a couple of minutes and have a few laughs,definitely one of life's good guys.

I'll probably know your face mate, I posted a video of him and the guys on here when the cameras rolled up to ER to capture Davy, Richie and co strut their stuff for the Southern branch. I'll no doubt see Richie on Tuesday night, it'll be my first game for a while.

WestCoastHibby
30-01-2022, 07:15 AM
Hibernian, Speedway and darts??
I wish I’d met the man ; RIP

gegs70
30-01-2022, 09:20 AM
I was so sorry to hear this. Sending love to his family 💚

offshorehibby
30-01-2022, 10:26 AM
I first met Davie on that same bus and he was a gentleman and epitomised the phrase 'gentle giant' I'm truly gutted to hear this. He sat a few rows down from us in the east and I always shouted to him when I went down the stairs.
I used to see him a lot back in the 90s when I think he was working as a carer, my memory is hazy on that one but he came to my work a few times with someone and we'd chat for a couple of minutes and have a few laughs,definitely one of life's good guys.

I'll probably know your face mate, I posted a video of him and the guys on here when the cameras rolled up to ER to capture Davy, Richie and co strut their stuff for the Southern branch. I'll no doubt see Richie on Tuesday night, it'll be my first game for a while.

Your right he truly was a gentle giant. I am in that same video and i'm sure i'm with Richie as we're coming into ER, big ginger heeed. I think we've chatted on here before about that.

You can't be far from me in the East, I'm 5 rows behind Davie in L.

HendoDelivered
30-01-2022, 10:28 AM

Gutted. Very good pals with one of his sons. Sending my thoughts and prayers to all the family 💚

Monktonhall 7
30-01-2022, 11:53 AM
Didn’t recognise the name, but Davies wife has posted photos on Twitter and I knew him right away. A well Kent face at ER and I remember him from many away games.

RIP Davie.

Daydreamer
30-01-2022, 12:20 PM
Big Dave was one of the nicest guys you could have had the pleasure to meet. He was a helpful gentle giant and will be sorely missed by all who knew him. R.I.P.

Iggy Pope
30-01-2022, 12:28 PM

I had no idea he was ill G. I had a huge amount of time for the big fellah through all the Hibs Club years and even beyond playing darts for Cropleys. You’ll miss him enormously and I’m so sad at hearing this. RIP big Spike.
X

Hermit Crab
30-01-2022, 02:21 PM
Seen a few posts on Twitter about this. Very sad. RIP.

Crunchie
30-01-2022, 05:12 PM
Your right he truly was a gentle giant. I am in that same video and i'm sure i'm with Richie as we're coming into ER, big ginger heeed. I think we've chatted on here before about that.

You can't be far from me in the East, I'm 5 rows behind Davie in L.
I'm right behind Richie, row T mate. Yes I know who you are now :aok: gutted for you mate RIP big Davy.

HibeeLR
01-02-2022, 08:38 AM
Davie's son here, thanks for all the messages about my dad we really appreciate seeing all the comments that just signify how well liked he was within the hibs family. Hope the team get a result for him tonight 💚

Crunchie
01-02-2022, 08:42 AM
Davie's son here, thanks for all the messages about my dad we really appreciate seeing all the comments that just signify how well liked he was within the hibs family. Hope the team get a result for him tonight 💚
Davy will be there in spirit, all the best to you and the family :flag:

Kato
01-02-2022, 09:51 AM
Knew Davie from The Clan. Lovely bloke always up for a natter and a laugh. Will be missed.

RIP

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

DIXIHIBS
01-02-2022, 11:01 AM

Knew your dad for nearly 40 years. Had a few eventful holidays with him including hibs at anderlecht and magdeburg. A nicer man you'll never meet. Condolences to yourself and the rest of the family.

offshorehibby
10-02-2022, 07:23 AM
Davie’s funeral will take place on Friday 25th February at 3 pm.

It’s at the Edinburgh Suite, West Stand, Hibernian Football Club, 12 Albion Place, Edinburgh, EH7 5QG.
Parking is at the east stand - see map in comments. All welcome to attend.

Afterwards, feel free to join us to raise a glass to Davie at the Hibs Club from 4.30 p.m. onward.

Feel free to pass on details/share post in case I miss people though announcements will be made in the Evening News and East Lothian Courier.

Iggy Pope
10-02-2022, 07:01 PM
Davie’s memorial will take place on Friday 25th February at 3 pm.

It’s at the Edinburgh Suite, West Stand, Hibernian Football Club, 12 Albion Place, Edinburgh, EH7 5QG.
Parking is at the east stand - see map in comments. All welcome to attend.

Afterwards, feel free to join us to raise a glass to Davie at the Hibs Club from 4.30 p.m. onward.

Feel free to pass on details/share post in case I miss people though announcements will be made in the Evening News and East Lothian Courier.

A few words at Easter Road and a couple of pints in the Club will be a perfect way to say goodbye to the big fellah.
Thanks for posting G and I hope the funeral also goes as well as it can.

offshorehibby
26-02-2022, 02:42 PM
A great touch by the staff at Easter Road yesterday for Davies memorial.

And then a cracking send off at the Hibs club after.

ballengeich
26-02-2022, 03:33 PM
That's so sad about a good man I spent some happy hours with at Hibs and Scotland games. Condolences to his family.

Iggy Pope
26-02-2022, 08:00 PM

:flag::not worth

hibsbollah
26-02-2022, 08:07 PM
Cancer is a ****.

RIP.

Lancs Harp
26-02-2022, 08:10 PM
RIP and deep condolances to friends and family.

We are Hibs x

BILLYHIBS
26-02-2022, 08:49 PM
Deepest sincerest condolences to family and friends

RIP

Crunchie
27-02-2022, 01:29 PM

:not worth Hibs class for a man that loved the club. RIP Big Man.