PDA

View Full Version : Matt Macey

AugustaHibs
29-01-2022, 06:07 PM
Surely dabrowski can’t be any worse?

And if he is; we have a serious goalie issue.

Callum_62
29-01-2022, 06:08 PM
Did the wind play a part in the first?

2.bad mistakes goalie in our game and 2 in the rangers game

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
29-01-2022, 06:10 PM
All goalies make mistakes.
Macey makes less than most.
I like him, keep.
The midfield? Not so much.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-01-2022, 06:11 PM
Dabrowski should get a run out but not for the Derby.

Allant1981
29-01-2022, 06:12 PM

Nah he just made a hash of it, he didnt even need to come that far, plenty of defenders to deal with it

Mikey_1875
29-01-2022, 06:15 PM
He’s someone I’d want to replace in the summer because of his distribution but we have far bigger worries imo.

Made a major gaff today of course but he hasn’t exactly been making those type of mistakes regularly.

GonzoReturns
29-01-2022, 06:15 PM
Macey got caught out by wind and our defenders couldn’t cope with it either. I think the problem for Macey is going to be can he adapt to Maloneys style wanting to play the ball out from the back.

Nicho87
29-01-2022, 06:18 PM
We should have a better option in there. No competition clearly as both previous manager and maloney clearly don’t trust Dabrowski

IberianHibernian
29-01-2022, 06:20 PM
Bad mistake today but I think he`s been good since arriving . Ideally Dabrowski would have had more first team experience by now . Always thought competition between Marciano and Bogdan improved both . Not sure Macey has that pressure to keep place .

kaimendhibs
29-01-2022, 06:21 PM
Guy makes bad pass, misses sitter etc fine.
Goalie in horrible conditions misses a cross, get rid.
🤷*♀️🤷*♀️🤷*♀️😳

1 8 7 5
29-01-2022, 06:23 PM
🤷*♀️🤷*♀️🤷*♀️😳

Understand the point your making, but he gives me the fear.

He is not very good.

Glory Lurker
29-01-2022, 06:25 PM
Macey definitely isn't on my list of players we should let go.

Nicho87
29-01-2022, 06:27 PM
Macey definitely isn't on my list of players we should let go.

Did you run out of space on the bit paper like

hibee-boys
29-01-2022, 06:29 PM
Wtf was he doing out for the first goal? Primary school goalkeeping🙈

LaMotta
29-01-2022, 06:33 PM
All goalies make mistakes.
Macey makes less than most.
I like him, keep.
The midfield? Not so much.

This. :agree:

His first howler the day for us. Other problems to look at before the goalie.

SheriffLobo
29-01-2022, 07:01 PM
Personally I don’t rate him and never have, has the odd good game but doesn’t install any confidence in me at all, which I assume is the same with the defence. He is “ok” at best for me but nowhere near the level Rocky was at

Irish_Steve
29-01-2022, 07:10 PM
Personally I don’t rate him and never have, has the odd good game but doesn’t install any confidence in me at all, which I assume is the same with the defence. He is “ok” at best for me but nowhere near the level Rocky was at

Rocky was distinctly rocky during his early Hibs career, maybe we should give Macey the same courtesy. MM is derided if he comes for a cross and is derided when he doesn't. Livi goalie made a howler today too, all goalies make them

Jones28
29-01-2022, 07:13 PM
Rocky was distinctly rocky during his early Hibs career, maybe we should give Macey the same courtesy. MM is derided if he comes for a cross and is derided when he does. Livi goalie made a howler today too, all goalies make them

Exactly this.

Some people just haven’t taken to Macey but today was his first proper howler of the season IMO. People have been desperate to pick flaws in his game ever since Marciano left.

Onceinawhile
29-01-2022, 07:14 PM

What was the second mistake the day?

Callum_62
29-01-2022, 07:16 PM
What was the second mistake the day?1 major error from each goalie in our game

Mrimbetween
29-01-2022, 07:20 PM
Been blessed with keepers in recent times

Stick with the lad i say

Since452
29-01-2022, 07:21 PM
Macey isn't our problem

Inconsequential
29-01-2022, 07:22 PM
Exactly this.

Some people just haven’t taken to Macey but today was his first proper howler of the season IMO. People have been desperate to pick flaws in his game ever since Marciano left. Totally agree. Marciano wasn't that good and loved making ordinary saves look outstanding. Stuck to his line with superglue throughout his Hibs career, poor with the ball at his feet too. Also had a few rushes of blood to his head one incident against St. Johnstone springs to mind.

MWHIBBIES
29-01-2022, 07:39 PM
He was right to come for it, just a bad starting position. It happens. Good goalie. Not our problem.

hibbysam
29-01-2022, 07:42 PM
Totally agree. Marciano wasn't that good and loved making ordinary saves look outstanding. Stuck to his line with superglue throughout his Hibs career, poor with the ball at his feet too. Also had a few rushes of blood to his head one incident against St. Johnstone springs to mind.

Wasn’t that good 😂😂 superb.

McD
29-01-2022, 07:43 PM
🤷*♀️🤷*♀️🤷*♀️😳

exactly this

hibbysam
29-01-2022, 07:43 PM
He was right to come for it, just a bad starting position. It happens. Good goalie. Not our problem.

I actually just thought he made a hash of his run. Had he got to the ball he wouldn’t have collided with McGinn. He was at least a couple of yards away from being at the base of the ball.

Don’t disagree that he should’ve come, just seriously poor execution.

southern hibby
29-01-2022, 07:50 PM
I genuinely feel for Macey. Slated when he doesn’t come for a ball and slated when he does and makes a mistake.

We need to establish the defence and goalkeepers parameters. Who does what and where and when.

Our defence is lacking at cross balls as we’ve seen several times this season. Needs to be better all round and I’ll no even get started on the midfield as that just totally depressed me at the moment.

GGTTH

Stevie Reid
29-01-2022, 07:55 PM

Don’t think he should be slaughtered for it because I rate him and think he’s been good for us - but he definitely was not right to come for that cross.

Porto’s awful back header had already shown us how bad the wind was - to run out 10-15 yards from his line to try and take that was a shocking decision.

I like how he does come and claim crosses at a good ratio for us - but that was a really bad call today.

Bobby's Cinema
29-01-2022, 08:00 PM
It was a poor mistake for the first. I actually thought the second was pretty central too. But we have bigger problems in general the way we allowed the momentum of the game to swing

LunasBoots
29-01-2022, 08:04 PM
Was always going to be a task to get someone as good as Marciano, I don't think Macey is that bad..

Inconsequential
29-01-2022, 08:33 PM
Wasn’t that good 😂😂 superb. In my opinion Marciano was the most overrated goalie in my five decades of following Hibs. Despite your giggles that will not change. You have your opinion, I have mine. Thanks.

hibbysam
29-01-2022, 08:36 PM
In my opinion Marciano was the most overrated goalie in my five decades of following Hibs. Despite your giggles that will not change. You have your opinion, I have mine. Thanks.

Your entitled to it. Doesn’t stop it being wrong though.

hibsbollah
29-01-2022, 08:46 PM
Should be remembered second half he made a smart save low at the near post and two nice pieces of handling from tricky low shots too. We were getting absolutely battered second half on the transition.

Since452
29-01-2022, 08:50 PM
In my opinion Marciano was the most overrated goalie in my five decades of following Hibs. Despite your giggles that will not change. You have your opinion, I have mine. Thanks.

100% agree. Countless mistakes glossed over by some decent saves. Lost his place to Chris Maxwell FFS.

Northernhibee
29-01-2022, 09:29 PM
I don’t buy a lot of the stuff on here. I defended him for a while but his shot stopping stats are the fourth worst in the league and although you can get away with that if you bring more to the game, he’s very poor with the ball at his feet.

Today’s also the third howler in three games (clattering a clearance of a Cove player and being lucky it didn’t go in and that horrific touch against Motherwell that put himself under big pressure) and today it was actually punished.

He’s just not very good. Not awful, but nowhere near our level of aspiration.

silverhibee
29-01-2022, 09:45 PM

See, I thought he should have let his defenders deal with it and stay on his line, it was a mistake from him and he will learn from it, if goalies didn’t make mistakes then it would be difficult to score goals.

tamig
29-01-2022, 09:56 PM
Your entitled to it. Doesn’t stop it being wrong though.

Marciano was an excellent shot stopper. He didn't come for crosses though and his distribution was very poor. Macey made a bad mistake today but there haven't been many from him so far. I think his distribution has improved a fair bit over the past few games as well. Far from our biggest concern at the moment.

hibbysam
29-01-2022, 09:58 PM
Marciano was an excellent shot stopper. He didn't come for crosses though and his distribution was very poor. Macey made a bad mistake today but there haven't been many from him so far. I think his distribution has improved a fair bit over the past few games as well. Far from our biggest concern at the moment.

None of that has been disputed by myself. Saying he wasn’t that good will be disputed as he was outstanding. I’d still like us to get better, but I agree it’s not a priority for me right now.

tamig
29-01-2022, 10:00 PM
100% agree. Countless mistakes glossed over by some decent saves. Lost his place to Chris Maxwell FFS.

To be fair to Maxwell, he's actually been very good for Blackpool the past couple of seasons. Been out injured recently though.

hibsbollah
29-01-2022, 10:03 PM
To be fair to Maxwell, he's actually been very good for Blackpool the past couple of seasons. Been out injured recently though.

:agree: He’s racked up a ridiculous number of clean sheets in the last couple of seasons.

hibby rae
29-01-2022, 10:19 PM
I don’t buy a lot of the stuff on here. I defended him for a while but his shot stopping stats are the fourth worst in the league and although you can get away with that if you bring more to the game, he’s very poor with the ball at his feet.

Today’s also the third howler in three games (clattering a clearance of a Cove player and being lucky it didn’t go in and that horrific touch against Motherwell that put himself under big pressure) and today it was actually punished.

He’s just not very good. Not awful, but nowhere near our level of aspiration.

That's my feeling. If our aspiration was top 6 then fine. But it's to be fighting for 3rd every season, and I think we'll see too many mistakes or moments when he should have done better.

If only when we had Marciano we had also kept Bogdan. Both better than what we have now.

The Modfather
29-01-2022, 10:56 PM
Is Caddens goal going down as a goalkeeping error? I thought he was simply unlucky and caught out by a miss-hit cross. Seems a bit harsh to apportion blame to the Livi keeper.

Callum_62
29-01-2022, 10:57 PM
Is Caddens goal going down as a goalkeeping error? I thought he was simply unlucky and caught out by a miss-hit cross. Seems a bit harsh to apportion blame to the Livi keeper.Think he looked about as mobile as me after a 10k run

Goalie error for me

Stevie Reid
29-01-2022, 11:00 PM
Is Caddens goal going down as a goalkeeping error? I thought he was simply unlucky and caught out by a miss-hit cross. Seems a bit harsh to apportion blame to the Livi keeper.

Watched the replay at the game and it looked like the perfect trajectory to catch him out. Just looked like one of those things, rather than a really bad error.

OldEast
31-01-2022, 04:01 AM

Yes I agree, never quite understood the adulation he got. A few admittedly wonderful point blank saves a season didn't excuse his many failings. The exact failings Macey is now being slated for.

JimBHibees
31-01-2022, 06:01 AM
See, I thought he should have let his defenders deal with it and stay on his line, it was a mistake from him and he will learn from it, if goalies didn’t make mistakes then it would be difficult to score goals.

I was right down he line fo it from ff upper and thought given the floated nature he should have came but obviously had to then get the ball especially given his size.

J-C
31-01-2022, 06:22 AM
I don't think the goalkeeper position is an immediate problem but should still be looked at in the summer, Macey's ok but not really good.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-01-2022, 06:42 AM

lie being overrated something that the player influences?
I queried Stuart Cosgrove as to why he appeared to have something about Porto and it was the same thing but admitted it was t the players fault he was being favoured for call ups over St Johnstone players.

Pretty Boy
31-01-2022, 07:07 AM
I probably find the 2nd goal more concerning than the 1st because it's part of a repeated pattern. The 1st is just an error of judgement, on a good day you ca come and claim that. Given the conditions on Saturday, just let the defence deal with it. It's a wonder header to score from there if the keeper is on his line. If you are coming you need to make sure you get there. It's such an obvious error that it's easy to learn from.

The 2nd goal is another instance in which Macey leave himself completely unable to get a dive away so has no chance of saving the shot. The 1st goal at Celtic Park was the same, he just sort of flopped over. Thinking back to the Motherwell SC game last season there was a similar discussion again. It's hard to argue any of them are clear and obvious errors but he is getting his feet in a real mess and giving himself absolutely no hope of saving them. Whilst there is a whole range of defensive issues when defending crosses into the box, including stopping them in the 1st place, I don't think it's a coincidence that the change of goalkeeper has seen the number of goals we are conceding from such situations skyrocket.

Whilst it's a bit of a blunt instrument his save percentage ranks as one of the worst in the league. By that metric he's outperformed by Jak Alnwick, Trevor Carson, Zander Clark, Craig Gordon, Joe Hart, Liam Kelly, Allan McGreggor, Benjamin Siegriest and Max Stryjek.

Macey's ok but that's about it. I'd have killed for a keeper like him when we were watching the likes MaKalambay, Graeme Smith and Simon Brown. He's not going to cost you countless points but he's not going to be the kind of keeper who wins you a whole lot either. I fully expect us to be looking to improve the position in the summer.

Shrekko
31-01-2022, 07:57 AM
Yes I agree, never quite understood the adulation he got. A few admittedly wonderful point blank saves a season didn't excuse his many failings. The exact failings Macey is now being slated for.

Myself and the people I go with to the games also didn't have confidence in Marciano- nobody can deny some unbelievable saves during his time with us but his judgement on crosses, lack of physicality for a big guy and distribution were all really bad. He was pretty erratic but over the piece he did do pretty well most of the time. He also did get dropped a couple of times though.

Some fans go on about him as some kind of world beater- I'm sure if that's the case he'd be getting a game for his new club. I personally think his popularity had a lot to do with other non-football things.

Macey seems to have been doomed from the start with Rocky's fan club being keen to write him off very quickly. He's been solid enough and not made many errors so the criticism has been as disproportionate as the man love that went Rocky's way. We could get better, and I( agree we should always be looking but Macey is not one of our main problems at the moment.

hibbysam
31-01-2022, 07:59 AM
I probably find the 2nd goal more concerning than the 1st because it's part of a repeated pattern. The 1st is just an error of judgement, on a good day you ca come and claim that. Given the conditions on Saturday, just let the defence deal with it. It's a wonder header to score from there if the keeper is on his line. If you are coming you need to make sure you get there. It's such an obvious error that it's easy to learn from.

The 2nd goal is another instance in which Macey leave himself completely unable to get a dive away so has no chance of saving the shot. The 1st goal at Celtic Park was the same, he just sort of flopped over. Thinking back to the Motherwell SC game last season there was a similar discussion again. It's hard to argue any of them are clear and obvious errors but he is getting his feet in a real mess and giving himself absolutely no hope of saving them. Whilst there is a whole range of defensive issues when defending crosses into the box, including stopping them in the 1st place, I don't think it's a coincidence that the change of goalkeeper has seen the number of goals we are conceding from such situations skyrocket.

Whilst it's a bit of a blunt instrument his save percentage ranks as one of the worst in the league. By that metric he's outperformed by Jak Alnwick, Trevor Carson, Zander Clark, Craig Gordon, Joe Hart, Liam Kelly, Allan McGreggor, Benjamin Siegriest and Max Stryjek.

Macey's ok but that's about it. I'd have killed for a keeper like him when we were watching the likes MaKalambay, Graeme Smith and Simon Brown. He's not going to cost you countless points but he's not going to be the kind of keeper who wins you a whole lot either. I fully expect us to be looking to improve the position in the summer.

I’d have to see it back but wasn’t the second goal the long throw, flick and head home at the back post? On first glance I never seen anything untoward regarding his starting position but I’d need another look.

JimBHibees
31-01-2022, 08:36 AM

Agree second goal is genuinely pub league the sleeping defender Porto who didnt pick up the second ball was beyond poor. Thought he was miles off it and if McGinn Hanlon fit wouldn't start him tomorrow

matty_f
31-01-2022, 08:39 AM
Exactly this.

Some people just haven’t taken to Macey but today was his first proper howler of the season IMO. People have been desperate to pick flaws in his game ever since Marciano left.

:agree: bugger all wrong with Macey. Has a MOTM performance in the derby last time, makes the saves you’d expect him to make and some you don’t, and his distribution is no worse than 90% of the keepers I’ve seen at Hibs.

Saturday was the first proper mistake I can remember from him.

OldEast
31-01-2022, 08:48 AM
:agree: bugger all wrong with Macey. Has a MOTM performance in the derby last time, makes the saves you’d expect him to make and some you don’t, and his distribution is no worse than 90% of the keepers I’ve seen at Hibs.

If you make a point of watching for it you'll see plenty keepers in all leagues punting it too far, or to and opponent, or straight out for a throw to the opposition. It happens a lot.

mokie
31-01-2022, 11:19 AM

Well would you say that 90% of the keepers in the last 25 years have been any good??

Viva_Palmeiras
31-01-2022, 11:49 AM
Well would you say that 90% of the keepers in the last 25 years have been any good??

62.07% of stats are made up on the spot.

LaMotta
31-01-2022, 11:50 AM

Marciano made countless mistakes for Hibs? I bet you can't even name 5.

joehibs
31-01-2022, 11:52 AM
I have been saying all season that Macey at crosses is horrendous. I think the first 8 goals we conceded this season were crosses into the 6 years box. For what it's worth, I don't think he is a bad keeper, but there is a horrible lack of communication between keeper and centre backs, hopefully Rocky will firm that up, but for me, keeper has to own the box

LaMotta
31-01-2022, 11:53 AM

:agree::agree:

He has made one bad mistake in his time with us. Overall I would say he has done very well, but keepers these days don't stand a chance with some fans who are convinced that no keeper should EVER make a mistake. It's crazy.

hhibs
31-01-2022, 11:54 AM

He’s just not very good. Not awful, but nowhere near our level of aspiration.be as a No.1

Yep,that is how I see it too.

As a back up, maybe, as a No.1 no,we need better.

hibsbollah
31-01-2022, 11:57 AM

I like Macey and have defended him a lot. His derby performance alone places him way ahead of the previous Hibs keepers you mention imo. But technically you’re spot on about the ‘unable to get a dive away’ thing. When the balls going across his body especially. We’ve spoken about it before in previous games and you wonder why he’s unable to get his feet in a position where he can explode into a dive? He’s conceded a few like that, Celtic yesterday and Motherwell I think too. Something only a coach can work on.

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2022, 12:33 PM
Marciano made countless mistakes for Hibs? I bet you can't even name 5.

Running back a while here but I’ll give you 4 off the top of my head.:
Red card at St Johnstone
2 in the same game v Rangers at ER iirc
Hamilton at home (dropped a cross)

I can’t remember the reasons for him being dropped for Maxeell and Bogfan either. Add his distribution to this, also that he couldn’t save a penalty and was unwilling to come off his line and it’s a wonder why he’s so adored.

Macey’s been on the back foot all season, folk have been waiting on him costing us a goal and it’s taken to the last week of January for them to be proved right. It’s a strange way to support your team.

LaMotta
31-01-2022, 12:42 PM
Red card at St Johnstone

I can’t remember the reasons for him being dropped for Maxeell and Bogfan either. Add his distribution to this, also that he couldn’t save a penalty and was unwilling to come off his line and it’s a wonder why he’s so adored.

Macey’s been on the back foot all season, folk have been waiting on him costing us a goal and it’s taken to the last week of January for them to be proved right. It’s a strange way to support your team.

So I was right that it was hard to think of 5 mistakes Marciano made. Certainly not countless:wink:

I'm not bashing Macey by the way - I'm defending him and Marciano in a similar vain. Not sure why it has to be a Marciano fans v Macey fans thing either as some people are suggesting.

Marciano was a very good keeper for Hibs. Macey has been good so far overall as well. They all have flaws. 2 of our best made bad mistakes on a number of occasions - Goram and Leighton.

They all make mistakes - every keeper in the world!

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2022, 12:58 PM
So I was right that it was hard to think of 5 mistakes Marciano made. Certainly not countless:wink:

I'm not bashing Macey by the way - I'm defending him and Marciano in a similar vain. Not sure why it has to be a Marciano fans v Macey fans thing either as some people are suggesting.

Marciano was a very good keeper for Hibs. Macey has been good so far overall as well. They all have flaws. 2 of our best made bad mistakes on a number of occasions - Goram and Leighton.

They all make mistakes - every keeper in the world!

:hilarious it was easy to get to 4 but without spending time on it 5 was tough. Presumably you could only remember the same 4. I remember one for Israel as well but couldn’t use that.

I agree - I don’t know why so many were not supportive of him when he came in, the height thing is held against him despite him only being a few inches taller than what’s expected for a goalie.

As you say every goalie will make a mistake but we have folk pinning blame on him because they’re “never confident” with him in the team.

easty
31-01-2022, 01:15 PM
Red card at St Johnstone

Even after all you've said about Marciano...a big team from a bigger league than ours signed him from us, and he's his countries number 1.

Marciano was/is a far better keeper than Macey.

I've supported Macey everytime he's played for Hibs, like I do every Hibs player, but I've not wanted him as our number 1 since before the season started. I just don't think he's a very good keeper, and I think his performances this season back that up. We talk about players like Liam Kelly and Siegrist being good options. Gordon being brilliant. Nobody talks about how we've got a good keeper. They did when we had Rocky.

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2022, 01:18 PM
Even after all you've said about Marciano...a big team from a bigger league than ours signed him from us, and he's his countries number 1.

Marciano was/is a far better keeper than Macey.

I've supported Macey everytime he's played for Hibs, like I do every Hibs player, but I've not wanted him as our number 1 since before the season started. I just don't think he's a very good keeper, and I think his performances this season back that up. We talk about players like Liam Kelly and Siegrist being good options. Gordon being brilliant. Nobody talks about how we've got a good keeper. They did when we had Rocky.

The Terrace podcast rate position by position and Marciano was rarely in the top 6. They used to make comments about Hibs fans over rating him.

Not seen much of Kelly but Siegrist booted the ball out of play vs us and I recently saw him let one in at his near post (vs Ross County I think). Can't brig Gordon into that conversation mind you, unless distribution is the main point we're making.

loanheadhibby
31-01-2022, 02:06 PM
I tend to agree Marciano was decent but not as good as some would have you believe.
Macey only average and a rung down from Marciano.
Just my opinion of course.

Shrekko
31-01-2022, 03:02 PM
The Terrace podcast rate position by position and Marciano was rarely in the top 6. They used to make comments about Hibs fans over rating him.

Never once had any of my mates who support other clubs saying they rated Marciano. We didn't seem to get any kind of big money bids for him and he's now a number 2 at his new club....

We might have had a nice song for him, his wife may have been beautiful, he did make some camera saves... but he wasn't a great all round goalie. Not a patch on Siegriest for instance.

I'd possibly agree that Macey won't win us many points with spectacular performances (like Rocky occasionally did) but he's steady enough that we don't need to rush to get a replacement yet.

LaMotta
31-01-2022, 03:55 PM
:hilarious it was easy to get to 4 but without spending time on it 5 was tough. Presumably you could only remember the same 4. I remember one for Israel as well but couldn’t use that.

I agree - I don’t know why so many were not supportive of him when he came in, the height thing is held against him despite him only being a few inches taller than what’s expected for a goalie.

As you say every goalie will make a mistake but we have folk pinning blame on him because they’re “never confident” with him in the team.

I can think of a 5th but I'll keep it to myself:greengrin. But genuinely can't think of anymore.

Agree with you in general ( if not about Rocky). Goram and Leighton would have been SLAUGHTERED these days for some of their mistakes.

BILLYHIBS
31-01-2022, 05:28 PM
I can think of a 5th but I'll keep it to myself:greengrin. But genuinely can't think of anymore.

Agree with you in general ( if not about Rocky). Goram and Leighton would have been SLAUGHTERED these days for some of their mistakes.
Just off the top of ma head without even thinking

1 Morellos near post Xmas time at the Holy Ground

2 The time he booted the ball off a Hun forward early doors at Easter Road

3 Ryan Christie free kick Hampden

4 St Johnstone rush of blood in a blizzard in Perth

5 O’Halloran near post again at Easter Road

6 Passback from a defender whilst playing for Israel :confused:

MWHIBBIES
31-01-2022, 06:01 PM
Any goalie with less than 10 obvious mistakes over 5 years with Hibs is doing fantastic. Rocky was brilliant for us, no doubting that. Got us a lot, lot more points than he ever cost us.

RoslinInstHibby
31-01-2022, 06:19 PM
A settled defence in front of him will make a difference, think we have bigger problems than Macey

Scottie
31-01-2022, 06:27 PM
A settled defence in front of him will make a difference, think we have bigger problems than Macey
:agree: Bang on pal.

Hector Mudflap
31-01-2022, 06:29 PM
I think a quality keeper behind will settle the defence. In the celtic game youncoukd see palyers annoyed at his distribution. I never hear fans say “wish we had macey” . To me he needs repalced and the sooner the better. IMHO hes the second weakest player we have. I have been told by a person very very much in the know that Dabrowski is a loud mouth and full
If himself which rubs players up the wrong way but I would much rather see him
In goal than Macey . Just my opinion based on what I think I see. I had no real love in with Rocky and thought Bogdan was better but both were above Macey .

tamig
31-01-2022, 09:20 PM

The game at ER against the hun was a shocker from Marciano. He made some really poor mistakes in his time here but the bad was far outweighed by the good imo. I'm pretty happy with Macey and I'm sure we'll continue to see his distribution improve under Maloney.

LaMotta
31-01-2022, 10:26 PM
Just off the top of ma head without even thinking

1 Morellos near post Xmas time at the Holy Ground

2 The time he booted the ball off a Hun forward early doors at Easter Road

3 Ryan Christie free kick Hampden

4 St Johnstone rush of blood in a blizzard in Perth

5 O’Halloran near post again at Easter Road

6 Passback from a defender whilst playing for Israel :confused:

You can't have the Israel one, cmon!

LaMotta
31-01-2022, 10:27 PM
Any goalie with less than 10 obvious mistakes over 5 years with Hibs is doing fantastic. Rocky was brilliant for us, no doubting that. Got us a lot, lot more points than he ever cost us.

:agree::agree::agree:

hibbysam
31-01-2022, 10:28 PM

Couldn’t agree more. ‘Camera saves’ seems the new criticism. He made many unbelievable saves. He made a few mistakes but to say he was levels below Siegrist is crazy.

LaMotta
31-01-2022, 10:38 PM
Couldn’t agree more. ‘Camera saves’ seems the new criticism. He made many unbelievable saves. He made a few mistakes but to say he was levels below Siegrist is crazy.

:agree:Honestly cannot believe how underrated he is by some people.

This highlights reel from just one game is crazy, where he single handedly won us a point v Celtic

https://twitter.com/HfcNufc/status/1119991290685476865?t=5LgmY5eyRmuNLZk_oDs6qg&s=19

Type "Marciano Hibs" into Twitter search bar and its post after post of praise for him from Hibs fans and fans of other teams, with plenty videos of top class saves at club and International level.

People on here are scrambling about to find a time he was beaten at the near post V the Huns as proof of him being poor? Mad.

BILLYHIBS
31-01-2022, 10:40 PM
You can't have the Israel one, cmon!

That was #6 you asked for 5 :greengrin

The guy is gone now but looking back despite the clangers in his locker and the poor distribution he was ok

Not my cup of tea

Brilliant instinctive reflex goalie

Edit:

Beaten at his near post on quite a few occasions not just the Hun and refused to leave his line

1-2 at Tiny playoff kept booting the ball out of play

Dearie me!

MWHIBBIES
01-02-2022, 05:51 AM

Tbh, anyone thinking rocky wasn't a great goalie for us hasn't a clue. Really sad to sit listing his errors. Quality player.

JimBHibees
01-02-2022, 06:04 AM

Not seen much of Kelly but Siegrist booted the ball out of play vs us and I recently saw him let one in at his near post (vs Ross County I think). Can't brig Gordon into that conversation mind you, unless distribution is the main point we're making.

Is the terrace podcast not littered with yams?

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2022, 06:08 AM
Tbh, anyone thinking rocky wasn't a great goalie for us hasn't a clue. Really sad to sit listing his errors. Quality player.

Not great

Nowhere near the level of Goram Leighton Roughie and Simpson in my eyes

He did ok

The fact he is a #2 at his current club says it all

All about opinions but to say all the Hibees pointing out his obvious flaws on these threads don’t have a clue is just nuts

We move on

JimBHibees
01-02-2022, 06:20 AM
Not great

He did ok

All about opinions but to say all the Hibees pointing out his obvious flaws on these threads don’t have a clue is just nuts

We move on

Yep good keeper nowhere near great.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2022, 06:35 AM
Is the terrace podcast not littered with yams?

There’s 3 I think, 2 Hibs, Dundee, Killie and Motherwell. When they do the ratings there’s usually a spread.

Didn’t stop them rating other players higher.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2022, 06:36 AM

We’ve got folk talking about possible errors our current goalie might make on other threads - a bit of balance doesn’t hurt.

easty
01-02-2022, 07:25 AM
Not great

He did ok

We move on

I agree he wasn’t on the level of those players, he was levels above Macey though.

Being second choice at Feyenoord doesn’t say anything either. Plenty good back up keepers around, not just at the elite level either.

Jon McLaughlin is Rangers back up keeper. He’s better than what we have. Scott Bain is Celtics, better as well. Gazaniga at Fulham. Marshall at QPR.

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2022, 07:28 AM
I agree he wasn’t on the level of those players, he was levels above Macey though.

Being second choice at Feyenoord doesn’t say anything either. Plenty good back up keepers around, not just at the elite level either.

Jon McLaughlin is Rangers back up keeper. He’s better than what we have. Scott Bain is Celtics, better as well. Gazaniga at Fulham. Marshall at QPR.

Not sure about McLaughlin or Bain either tbh would definitely have taken Marshall though 😃

Pretty Boy
01-02-2022, 08:06 AM
Every keeper makes mistakes, from Lev Yashin through Dino Zoff right up to Jan Oblak today.

Listing 5 or 6 goal costing mistakes a keeper makes over a period of as many years is a poor argument. Obviously if mistakes typify the keeper then it's relevant, with someone like Malkowski the mistakes were regular and habitually happened in the biggest games so it was the only possible critique of him. With Marciano really bad mistakes were the exception rather than the rule, 'he made a mistake against Ross county in 2018' is a pretty weak argument when assessing his overall contribution to Hibs. Equally anyone judging Macey solely on the mistake on Saturday is putting forward an equally weak argument.

By the same token highlighting 'that game against Celtic' for Marciano or 'the derby' for Macey is working within a needlessly narrow set of parameters. For me over a long period time Marciano proved himself a consistently capable goalkeeper who won us a number of points and didn't cost us many. He didn't lose his place to Bogdan (another very good goalkeeper for us). He had finger surgery and Bogdan deputised, played well and retained his place, when Marciano got back in he never really looked back. The decision to drop him for Maxwell baffled me when it happened, it baffled me when I then watched Maxwell play for us and it was no surprise at all the better keeper was restored fairly promptly.

Macey hasn't done a whole lot wrong in terms of obvious errors and it was never a priority for us in January but I do have a few concerns, some of which I have listed above. Looking across the league I'd say there were a fair few teams in a stronger position that us goalkeeping wise and for that reason I expect us to look to bring someone in during the summer to challenge for the gloves.

hibby rae
01-02-2022, 08:11 AM

My memory is they had Marciano 3rd or 4th best in the league a lot of the time at the Terrace.

Tony Anderson discussed Macey recently and said something along the lines of 'he's a very black and white keeper, you know what he can do and what he can't, and neither of those things will ever change.'

hibby rae
01-02-2022, 08:14 AM
It's not so much the mistakes with Macey, but the times you watch and think 'he could have went for that/he should have probably got that/another keeper would have saved that'

I can't think of many games (barring the derby) where Macey kept us in the game, which has happened a few times with Gordon and Hearts this season.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2022, 08:14 AM
My memory is they had Marciano 3rd or 4th best in the league a lot of the time at the Terrace.

Tony Anderson discussed Macey recently and said something along the lines of 'he's a very black and white keeper, you know what he can do and what he can't, and neither of those things will ever change.'

There was more than one season they done the ratings - he might have been that high one year but I don’t think when he was even at his best they had him higher than 5th.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2022, 08:16 AM
It's not so much the mistakes with Macey, but the times you watch and think 'he could have went for that/he should have probably got that/another keeper would have saved that'

That’s kind of my point - folk seem to be judging him on hypothetical scenarios and comparing him vs Gordon never goes well.

He’s made less costly mistakes than Allan McGregor this season though.

hibby rae
01-02-2022, 08:18 AM
There was more than one season they done the ratings - he might have been that high one year but I don’t think when he was even at his best they had him higher than 5th.

I think some did but some had him lower, it was a matter of debate between the participants iirc.

But the Lennon/Hecky crossover year he may have dropped down then.

hibby rae
01-02-2022, 08:21 AM
That’s kind of my point - folk seem to be judging him on hypothetical scenarios and comparing him vs Gordon never goes well.

He’s made less costly mistakes than Allan McGregor this season though.

Out and out mistakes aye. Bit it's the fine margins that will cost more over the course of a season. The little hesitations, times when he could have came for balls but stayed on his line allowing free headers etc.

Like the second conceded at Ibrox, defence have lost their man or something, I think he needs to be spotting that and coming for it.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2022, 08:29 AM
Out and out mistakes aye. Bit it's the fine margins that will cost more over the course of a season. The little hesitations, times when he could have came for balls but stayed on his line allowing free headers etc.

Like the second conceded at Ibrox, defence have lost their man or something, I think he needs to be spotting that and coming for it.

Don’t talk about fine margins mate - that kind of lingo isn’t allowed.

Seriously though - a free headers allowed cos a defender had allowed an attacker space.

hibby rae
01-02-2022, 08:39 AM
Don’t talk about fine margins mate - that kind of lingo isn’t allowed.

Seriously though - a free headers allowed cos a defender had allowed an attacker space.

There can be more than one reason why a player has a free header, not automatically the fault of the defender, but if that happens, as in the example I gave, Macey shouldl have spotted that and acted. We didn't concede any headers last season in the league, but did in the Scottish Cup, and now we probably concede from them more than anything.

There is possibly a variety of factors at play as to why that is, and the keeper will be one of them.

Jones28
01-02-2022, 08:50 AM

I can't think of many games (barring the derby) where Macey kept us in the game, which has happened a few times with Gordon and Hearts this season.

Scottish cup final.

Made a couple of saves against Motherwell too, and claimed a few crosses.

Christ even against Cove he made a couple of good saves after we scored.

I said after Livingston, that was his first actual proper error that led directly to a goal for the opposition.

Pretty Boy
01-02-2022, 09:29 AM
Interesting to see we have made the decision to change our goalkeeping coach.

Shrekko
01-02-2022, 10:01 AM

Anyone not agreeing with your opinion “hasn’t a clue” aye?

Maybe people have different perceptions of what “great” is eh?

I’d say almost everyone acknowledges he was good for us … just that some of us believe he was over rated by some fans. I’m sure if he’d been “great” he’d have been doing even better now.

Jones28
01-02-2022, 10:04 AM

I’d say almost everyone acknowledges he was good for us … just that some of us believe he was over rated by some fans. I’m sure if he’d been “great” he’d have been doing even better now.

I'd argue he is doing better now, even if he is a number 2 getting signed up by Feyenoord is an endorsement of someones quality.

LaMotta
01-02-2022, 10:22 AM
Every keeper makes mistakes, from Lev Yashin through Dino Zoff right up to Jan Oblak today.

Listing 5 or 6 goal costing mistakes a keeper makes over a period of as many years is a poor argument. Obviously if mistakes typify the keeper then it's relevant, with someone like Malkowski the mistakes were regular and habitually happened in the biggest games so it was the only possible critique of him. With Marciano really bad mistakes were the exception rather than the rule, 'he made a mistake against Ross county in 2018' is a pretty weak argument when assessing his overall contribution to Hibs. Equally anyone judging Macey solely on the mistake on Saturday is putting forward an equally weak argument.

By the same token highlighting 'that game against Celtic' for Marciano or 'the derby' for Macey is working within a needlessly narrow set of parameters. For me over a long period time Marciano proved himself a consistently capable goalkeeper who won us a number of points and didn't cost us many. He didn't lose his place to Bogdan (another very good goalkeeper for us). He had finger surgery and Bogdan deputised, played well and retained his place, when Marciano got back in he never really looked back. The decision to drop him for Maxwell baffled me when it happened, it baffled me when I then watched Maxwell play for us and it was no surprise at all the better keeper was restored fairly promptly.

Macey hasn't done a whole lot wrong in terms of obvious errors and it was never a priority for us in January but I do have a few concerns, some of which I have listed above. Looking across the league I'd say there were a fair few teams in a stronger position that us goalkeeping wise and for that reason I expect us to look to bring someone in during the summer to challenge for the gloves.

Highlighting Marciano's performance against Celtic above is not "working within a needlessly narrow set of parameters". It is just the most obvious example of exactly how good he actually was, where we have people claiming he was just "ok". That performance alone is unrivalled from a Hibs keeper in over 20 years. But it wasnt his only outstanding performance.

If I had more time on my hands I would find his string of outrageous saves against Dunfermline at Easter Road, his brilliant saves away at Dundee and Fir Park, one of the best saves I've seen in decades at home to Dundee, top class saves that helped us win twice in a season at Ibrox, his reflex save at Tynecastle that kept us in the cup in the 0-0 draw before we humped them in the replay....

As for Zibby he only actually made howlers against Romanov's Hearts. Like the most ridiculous howlers imaginable, but only against Hearts. I wonder how much he got in bungs from Romanov?:hmmm:

MWHIBBIES
01-02-2022, 10:58 AM

I'm my opinion, they haven't got a clue, yes. Quality keeper

Chuck Rhoades
01-02-2022, 11:04 AM
Make or break for Macey tonight. Defence look nervy as hell in front of him, completely different from Marciano. Needs to command his box, communicate and distribute miles better than he has before.

OldEast
01-02-2022, 11:04 AM

Decent keeper Rocky, not bad at point blank saves now and again, some even kept us in games.
Can you explain what it was apart from that which made him a quality keeper? Or was that it? It seems many fans agree his command of the box wasn't great, he seldom left his line, couldn't save a penalty, kicking was mainly awful. Do you disagree?

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2022, 11:09 AM

Quality right enough ?

https://youtu.be/xffeZghgd50

:greengrin

Pretty Boy
01-02-2022, 11:25 AM
Highlighting Marciano's performance against Celtic above is not "working within a needlessly narrow set of parameters". It is just the most obvious example of exactly how good he actually was, where we have people claiming he was just "ok". That performance alone is unrivalled from a Hibs keeper in over 20 years. But it wasnt his only outstanding performance.

If I had more time on my hands I would find his string of outrageous saves against Dunfermline at Easter Road, his brilliant saves away at Dundee and Fir Park, one of the best saves I've seen in decades at home to Dundee, top class saves that helped us win twice in a season at Ibrox, his reflex save at Tynecastle that kept us in the cup in the 0-0 draw before we humped them in the replay....

As for Zibby he only actually made howlers against Romanov's Hearts. Like the most ridiculous howlers imaginable, but only against Hearts. I wonder how much he got in bungs from Romanov?:hmmm:

I think we are broadly singing from the same hymn sheet and are agreed Rocky was a very good keeper for us. I just always think using isolated game, or even a handful of games, to prove a point one way or another isn't the best argument, 5 seasons of general consistency is the best argument and one not many could argue against if 5 or 6 isolated errors is all that is coming back.

Changing the subject a bit but talking of isolated incidents one of the best saves I have ever seen live was made by one of our worst keepers in recent decades. Simon Brown at Ibrox when we beat them 3-0 in the cup. A long range strike from Bob Malcolm that was right across his body, moved wickedly in the air and was an absolute rocket. Brown adjusted his feet and at full stretch touched it onto the bar. It was 0-0 at that point and we had toiled a bit in the 1st half. Had that gone in, and it really should have, it would have totally changed the game. A proper match defining save.

Since452
01-02-2022, 11:27 AM

You could talk about his string of outrageous mistakes too.

Since452
01-02-2022, 11:30 AM
I'd argue he is doing better now, even if he is a number 2 getting signed up by Feyenoord is an endorsement of someones quality.

https://www.tellerreport.com/sports/2021-11-26-feyenoord-player-marciano-after-mistakes-against-slavia---sometimes-the-team-helps-the-keeper-.BJMebaQAdK.html

Still making mistakes though.

LaMotta
01-02-2022, 11:44 AM
You could talk about his string of outrageous mistakes too.

No I couldn't as has been gone over on this thread already, there is little evidence of that. He made probably 3 outageous errors in 5 years. A few more "should have done better" errors. Arthur Boruc made more outrageous howlers in 2 afternoons against Hibs than Rocky did in 5 years here. Boruc was still a top class keeper.

LaMotta
01-02-2022, 11:48 AM
I think we are broadly singing from the same hymn sheet and are agreed Rocky was a very good keeper for us. I just always think using isolated game, or even a handful of games, to prove a point one way or another isn't the best argument, 5 seasons of general consistency is the best argument and one not many could argue against if 5 or 6 isolated errors is all that is coming back.

Changing the subject a bit but talking of isolated incidents one of the best saves I have ever seen live was made by one of our worst keepers in recent decades. Simon Brown at Ibrox when we beat them 3-0 in the cup. A long range strike from Bob Malcolm that was right across his body, moved wickedly in the air and was an absolute rocket. Brown adjusted his feet and at full stretch touched it onto the bar. It was 0-0 at that point and we had toiled a bit in the 1st half. Had that gone in, and it really should have, it would have totally changed the game. A proper match defining save.

Yeah I think we do agree - and I agree with your point about an isolated incident which is why I originally also backed up that video by suggesting a quick twitter search provided further proof that he was better than ok.:greengrin

I was right in line with that Simon Brown save at Ibrox up the other end - it was a superb save.:agree:

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2022, 11:53 AM
No I couldn't as has been gone over on this thread already, there is little evidence of that. He made probably 3 outageous errors in 5 years. A few more "should have done better" errors. Arthur Boruc made more outrageous howlers in 2 afternoons against Hibs than Rocky did in 5 years here. Boruc was still a top class keeper.

He made more than 3 outrageous errors Fact !

See above

Agree with you about loads being in the ‘might have done better’ category

Definitely not a Hibs goalkeeping great

My problem was I just didn’t trust him

Probably spoiled with Goram and Leighton though admittedly a lot of dross in between

Sticks in my craw that folk tell me I am clueless when my eyes and brain tell me different 😃

MWHIBBIES
01-02-2022, 11:55 AM
Quality right enough ?

https://youtu.be/xffeZghgd50

:greengrin
Oh boy...

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2022, 11:56 AM
Oh boy...

I know a low blow I know 😃

LaMotta
01-02-2022, 12:26 PM
He made more than 3 outrageous errors Fact !

See above

Agree with you about loads being in the ‘might have done better’ category

Definitely not a Hibs goalkeeping great

My problem was I just didn’t trust him

Probably spoiled with Goram and Leighton though admittedly a lot of dross in between

Sticks in my craw that folk tell me I am clueless when my eyes and brain tell me different ��

No it's not a fact Billy.

You want some evidence of outrageous errors? Look no further than your hero Andy Goram. He had plenty over the years, some examples here ( off the top of ma bonce):

https://youtu.be/pCfYVYystLw (2 mins 20).

https://youtu.be/xVEZPuqvrWs ( 5 mins 30)

https://twitter.com/TheHibsAreHere/status/1482006582137434112?t=iQ-aBNZf9GKQ0QplKTBMOA&s=19 ( 1 min 35)

https://twitter.com/Barlosthecat/status/1352931416296845314?t=EVUvoBsf76hgzYY28G0ZLg&s=19 ( 15 seconds)

The cameras werent there every week either back then - if they were there would be more that have now been forgotten about. He can't have been a Hibs great though in your opinion with goalkeeping like that:wink:

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2022, 12:35 PM
No it's not a fact Billy.

You want some evidence of outrageous errors? Look no further than your hero Andy Goram. He had plenty over the years, some examples here ( off the top of ma bonce):

https://youtu.be/pCfYVYystLw (2 mins 20).

https://youtu.be/xVEZPuqvrWs ( 5 mins 30)

https://twitter.com/TheHibsAreHere/status/1482006582137434112?t=iQ-aBNZf9GKQ0QplKTBMOA&s=19 ( 1 min 35)

https://twitter.com/Barlosthecat/status/1352931416296845314?t=EVUvoBsf76hgzYY28G0ZLg&s=19 ( 15 seconds)

The cameras werent there every week either back then - if they were there would be more that have now been forgotten about. He can't have been a Hibs great though in your opinion with goalkeeping like that:wink:

So who was the best in your esteemed opinion ?

Andy The Goalie Goram or Rocky (Rocky) Marciano?

No way are Man Utd signing Rocky as back up anytime soon ?

Maybes to carry the water bottles aye !

:faf:

Shrekko
01-02-2022, 12:52 PM
Make or break for Macey tonight. Defence look nervy as hell in front of him, completely different from Marciano. Needs to command his box, communicate and distribute miles better than he has before.

Just like Rocky used to command his box, communicate and distribute well? You're having a laugh.

Macey has made 1 bad mistake this season- it's hardly make or break seeing as he was our best player at the last derby.

LaMotta
01-02-2022, 01:06 PM
So who was the best in your esteemed opinion ?

Andy The Goalie Goram or Rocky (Rocky) Marciano?

No way are Man Utd signing Rocky as back up anytime soon ?

Maybes to carry the water bottles aye !

:faf:

I think they were both brilliant Hibs keepers - both capable of outstanding saves and both capable of errors.

Goram proved over his career how good he was so of course he wins. Rocky is only 32 though so still has plenty of time left in his career.

Imagine though Rocky had made the errors in derbies that Goram did in the derby clips above? People would be in total meltdown. The point is your assertion that Rocky was not that great because he made a few errors doesn't stack up. It's like saying Boyle wasnt that great for us cause he missed a few one on ones in his time or skied a penalty over the bar.

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2022, 01:15 PM
I think they were both brilliant Hibs keepers - both capable of outstanding saves and both capable of errors.

Goram proved over his career how good he was so of course he wins. Rocky is only 32 though so still has plenty of time left in his career.

Imagine though Rocky had made the errors in derbies that Goram did in the derby clips above? People would be in total meltdown. The point is your assertion that Rocky was not that great because he made a few errors doesn't stack up. It's like saying Boyle wasnt that great for us cause he missed a few ine on ones in his time or skied a penalty over the bar.

Naw Rocky is not a Great because he was not that great

In my honest opinion of course

I of course respect your opinion

Pretty sure we have had this conversation before ?

Ask yourself this question :

Who would you like to see in goals tonight Rocky or Andy Goram?

The answer is of course Matt Macey

GGTTH

LaMotta
01-02-2022, 01:18 PM
Naw Rocky is not a Great because he was not that great

In my honest opinion of course

I of course respect your opinion

Pretty sure we have had this conversation before ?

Ask yourself this question :

Who would you like to see in goals tonight Rocky or Andy Goram?

The answer is of course Matt Macey

GGTTH

Rocky has a far better Derby record than Goram so I'd pick him :greengrin

It is a big night for Macey to see how he responds after Saturday. I've got confidence in him. Any mistakes though and the knives will be out.

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2022, 01:20 PM
Rocky has a far better Derby record than Goram so I'd pick him :greengrin

It is a big night for Macey to see how he responds after Saturday. I've got confidence in him. Any mistakes though and the knives will be out.
:agree:

JamesHFC
01-02-2022, 01:26 PM
I have heard from a source that he is out injured tonight.

Turkish Green
01-02-2022, 01:31 PM
Macey is playing for Hibernian as this is his level. A curates egg of a keeper.

Gordon is world class and Scotland's #1. The big difference is that Gordon is a Jambo and would not be playing with them otherwise, even despite his age. Worth at least one goal a game while Macey maybe the opposite. Hibs will have more chances at goal than the yams so must make it pay.

They will only manage a handful of chances at goal so Macey needs to be top of his form.

3-1 to us.

Turkish Green
01-02-2022, 01:32 PM
i have heard from a source that he is out injured tonight.
source?

JamesHFC
01-02-2022, 01:33 PM
source?

Someone who has given me team news previously hours before kick off. We shall see but I be surprised if he’s playing.

Diclonius
01-02-2022, 01:36 PM
Time to see what Dabrowski is made of.

Jones28
01-02-2022, 01:38 PM
Well, if hes out then we get to see KD in action. Always happy to see our youngsters get a chance.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2022, 01:41 PM
Well, if hes out then we get to see KD in action. Always happy to see our youngsters get a chance.

Hardly ideal to throw him into a derby though eh.

nonshinyfinish
01-02-2022, 01:42 PM
Macey is playing for Hibernian as this is his level. A curates egg of a keeper.

Gordon is world class and Scotland's #1. The big difference is that Gordon is a Jambo and would not be playing with them otherwise, even despite his age. Worth at least one goal a game while Macey maybe the opposite. Hibs will have more chances at goal than the yams so must make it pay.

They will only manage a handful of chances at goal so Macey needs to be top of his form.

3-1 to us.

Hang on, surely you aren't suggesting Macey costs us one goal a game?!

BoomtownHibees
01-02-2022, 01:45 PM
Maybe should have played KD against Cove as suggested by a few on here

Jones28
01-02-2022, 01:47 PM
Hardly ideal to throw him into a derby though eh.

Maybe, maybe not. Just need to support him and try not let the crowd influence him.

Makalamby's debut was at Tynecastle and he was magnificent, I remember thinking our keeper curse had finally be broken :faf:

Hibbyradge
01-02-2022, 01:47 PM
Hang on, surely you aren't suggesting Macey costs us one goal a game?!

Even the clean sheets.

Hermit Crab
01-02-2022, 01:48 PM
Maybe, maybe not. Just need to support him and try not let the crowd influence him.

Makalamby's debut was at Tynecastle and he was magnificent, I remember thinking our keeper curse had finally be broken :faf:

Mind Aberdeen away? :greengrin :doh::brickwall

nonshinyfinish
01-02-2022, 01:48 PM

Even the clean sheets.

Presumably in those games he missed a sitter. The lanky prick.

Jones28
01-02-2022, 01:50 PM

Oh **** stop :offski:

Rangers at home when he was kidding on he was injured after conceding 2 goals at his near post. Sure that was the 13 second goal game. My first Hibs game under the influence after getting served in City Limits. My strategy was I better keep at it before they cotton on :greengrin

Diclonius
01-02-2022, 01:53 PM

And at home.

Hibees1973
01-02-2022, 01:57 PM
Someone who has given me team news previously hours before kick off. We shall see but I be surprised if he’s playing.
If you give us his name some of us may believe you.

JamesHFC
01-02-2022, 01:59 PM

I don’t think that would be fair on him. Come back and let me know if you do or not when the teams announced 👍🏻

Hibeewilly
01-02-2022, 02:00 PM
MM certainly took a while to get up from his attempt at the first goal on Saturday so not surprising. I'm sure Dabrowski will be ready to step in. He looked good when he came on against Arsenal in the friendly. Just got to hope that the atmosphere tonight doesn't faze him

Northernhibee
01-02-2022, 02:02 PM

Why would he do that if he's got someone giving him decent information?

Brightside
01-02-2022, 02:06 PM

Kevin something...

Pretty Boy
01-02-2022, 02:07 PM
I'd be quite excited to see Dabrowski thrown into a game like this if it's a necessity, probably not something I would choose to do but he seems confident verging on cocky at times so he may just thrive in such a sink or swim environment.

He's 23 and has played 20+ 1st team games albeit at a lower level so not some 16 year old getting chucked in.

Not In The Know
01-02-2022, 02:13 PM
I really don’t see the problem with Macey. Saturday could be attributed to the wind (just ask the livi keeper)

Last game against them he was superb. If he’s out today I’d be disappointed.

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2022, 02:13 PM
I'd be quite excited to see Dabrowski thrown into a game like this if it's a necessity, probably not something I would choose to do but he seems confident verging on cocky at times so he may just thrive in such a sink or swim environment.

He's 23 and has played 20+ 1st team games albeit at a lower level so not some 16 year old getting chucked in.

Nothing wrong with a wee bit confident swagger against that mob

Anyway Ii thought he was back out on loan ?

No ?

CockneyRebel
01-02-2022, 02:14 PM

Behave yourself.
How many sources (other than journos) get named on here? If a player or a Hibs employee gave the guy this info and then he told you who it was, how much more info would he get? None. How long would a named employee keep his job? Minutes? Believe him or choose not to. End of.

Smartie
01-02-2022, 02:16 PM

TBF, when they chuck an 18 year old goalkeeper into the derby for their debut, they invariably end up man of the match. I even remember a young Jack Hamilton having a decent game against us.

Might be exactly the sort of polar bear situation that ends up working to our advantage.

At the end of the day though it's an important game and position to be chucking anyone into the team for, let alone someone who hasn't played a game at this level before.

SQHib
01-02-2022, 02:19 PM
TBF, when they chuck an 18 year old goalkeeper into the derby for their debut, they invariably end up man of the match. I even remember a young Jack Hamilton having a decent game against us.

Might be exactly the sort of polar bear situation that ends up working to our advantage.

At the end of the day though it's an important game and position to be chucking anyone into the team for, let alone someone who hasn't played a game at this level before.

Macey certainly did take a bad clatter at the first goal on Saturday and spent the next 5 mins or so trying to shake off a knock on his right knee - might be its stiffened up post the match and he's not fit ?

Saint Hibee
01-02-2022, 02:43 PM

It’ll be like when big Conrad made his debut! (but slimmer).

Coco Bryce
01-02-2022, 02:56 PM

Matt somebody....

The 90+2
01-02-2022, 02:58 PM

**** sake man. Unless he was injured today we should have brought in a loan goalie yesterday, surely?

MWHIBBIES
01-02-2022, 02:59 PM
**** sake man. Unless he was injured today we should have brought in a loan goalie yesterday, surely?

Why? We've had a dozen loan goalies the past 20 years, all offered nothing. Should be giving our own a chance.

Skol
01-02-2022, 03:01 PM
I thought on Saturday that Macey injured both McGinn and himself at the first goal on Saturday and so it doesnt surprise me if he is injured. Do we have a keeper for the bench ?

JimBHibees
01-02-2022, 03:05 PM
I thought on Saturday that Macey injured both McGinn and himself at the first goal on Saturday and so it doesnt surprise me if he is injured. Do we have a keeper for the bench ?

Third goalie think is David Mitchell ex Clyde

at last 61
01-02-2022, 03:12 PM
Hopefully the new goalkeeper coach will do wonders for him

The 90+2
01-02-2022, 03:43 PM
Why? We've had a dozen loan goalies the past 20 years, all offered nothing. Should be giving our own a chance.

To perhaps get better than the guys who can't get a game behind Macey - for a derby? :confused:

Wasn't Macey on loan last year?

The 90+2
01-02-2022, 03:44 PM
Pray to Sauzee the new goalkeeper coach will do wonders for him

Fixed.

MWHIBBIES
01-02-2022, 03:45 PM
To perhaps get better than the guys who can't get a game behind Macey - for a derby? :confused:

Wasn't Macey on loan last year?

No, he wasn't. We signed him.

Every club in the world has a sub goalie. They generally play when the first choice gets injured. Its not a big deal.

The 90+2
01-02-2022, 03:48 PM
No, he wasn't. We signed him.

Every club in the world has a sub goalie. They generally play when the first choice gets injured. Its not a big deal.

Maybe off the bench, yes.

But when the transfer window is open and the sub goalie is inexperienced as anything then it's a different story imo. It's hardly like bringing in Scot Bain or Jon McLaughlin it's a wee laddie in a derby.

MWHIBBIES
01-02-2022, 03:53 PM

But when the transfer window is open and the sub goalie is inexperienced as anything then it's a different story imo. It's hardly like bringing in Scot Bain or Jon McLaughlin it's a wee laddie in a derby.

Hes not a wee laddie. He'll do absolutely fine. We'll win and folk will be saying he is our new No1.

The 90+2
01-02-2022, 03:54 PM
Hes not a wee laddie. He'll do absolutely fine. We'll win and folk will be saying he is our new No1.

Let's hope so MW :aok:

Callum_62
01-02-2022, 03:55 PM

He's 23 no far off 24

Big game for him but don't see why he couldn't handle it

Saved a pen fae Pepe anyway [emoji16]

The 90+2
01-02-2022, 03:57 PM
He's 23 no far off 24

Big game for him but don't see why he couldn't handle it

Saved a pen fae Pepe anyway [emoji16]

We can all but hope. We haven't brought anyone in regardless so hopefully the confidence shown on him by management is justified and he doesn't have a Lofty McNeil or Greame Smith.

Sioux
01-02-2022, 04:02 PM
If this is true, why post it on here? Why not post the full line up, so that wee scroat Jobbie can get his tactics sorted well in advance?

Stupidity beyond belief.

01-02-2022, 04:06 PM
Third goalie think is David Mitchell ex Clyde

Hope he's ready if called upon. 🙃

https://i.ibb.co/W2k0KfY/2736.jpg (https://ibb.co/2kvSKdf)

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2022, 05:17 PM
Dabrowski starts

Info spot on

Source Twitter

Sean1875
01-02-2022, 05:18 PM
Dabrowski starts

Info spot on

Source Twitter

Not that I doubt it’s true, but ‘source Twitter’ means nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2022, 05:19 PM
Not that I doubt it’s true, but ‘source Twitter’ means nothing.

Hibs Central pedant 😃

Sean1875
01-02-2022, 05:19 PM
Hibs Central pedant [emoji2]

You were better off saying Twitter tbh :greengrin

donno
01-02-2022, 05:23 PM
The last derby, both goalkeepers were on fire! Game could have been 4 all.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2022, 05:24 PM
You were better off saying Twitter tbh :greengrin

👍

hibbyfraelibby
01-02-2022, 05:28 PM

We have a young 17 year old who is one of the best goalkeeping prospects in Scotland. I'm sure young Muz would relish the opportunity but I suspect it will be Mitchel

JamesHFC
01-02-2022, 05:36 PM
Glad I didn’t end up looking like an idiot. Come on the cabbage.

JohnM1875
01-02-2022, 05:37 PM
Glad I didn’t end up looking like an idiot. Come on the cabbage.

Wouldn't have made you look an idiot anyway man. You were only passing on something you'd heard. Whole point in a forum really.

JamesHFC
01-02-2022, 05:41 PM
Wouldn't have made you look an idiot anyway man. You were only passing on something you'd heard. Whole point in a forum really.

👍🏻

hibbyfraelibby
01-02-2022, 05:43 PM
If this is true, why post it on here? Why not post the full line up, so that wee scroat Jobbie can get his tactics sorted well in advance?

Stupidity beyond belief.

Agree with the sentiment. Hibs had a problem a few seasons ago with someone leaking team info ahead of nearly every match. Needless to say they are no longer with the club

Hibiza
01-02-2022, 06:08 PM
Hopefully the new goalkeeper coach will do wonders for him

He's a goalie coach not a miracle worker .

LaMotta
01-02-2022, 06:13 PM

I've watched him closely a few times in shooting drills before games and some of his saves are tremendous.

Obviously more to it than making saves in a shooting drill but interested to see how he does, looks like he has bags of talent - if he also has the mentality and presence that good keepers need then we could have a very good keeper.

Plus he has wonderful hair.