PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Irvine

LustForLeith
19-01-2022, 06:46 PM
Noticed he was playing for St Pauli last night as they beat a pretty decent Dortmund team in the cup last night.

I didn’t mind him at Hibs. Not sure we got the best out of him. Likewise not sure if there was times he didn’t give his best but all the best to him.

WeeRussell
19-01-2022, 07:07 PM
Noticed he was playing for St Pauli last night as they beat a pretty decent Dortmund team in the cup last night.

I didn’t mind him at Hibs. Not sure we got the best out of him. Likewise not sure if there was times he didn’t give his best but all the best to him.

I would have taken or left him at the time it did come for him to part ways with Hibs, but I’d use him in our midfield right now!

Oh and that’s the best post I’ve read on here for a while 😉

Billy Whizz
19-01-2022, 07:08 PM
I would have taken or left him at the time it did come for him to part ways with Hibs, but I’d use him in our midfield right now!

Oh and that’s the best post I’ve read on here for a while 😉

He was brought in to score goals for Hibs, and that didn’t happen
Think he only scored 1/2

Greenbeard
19-01-2022, 07:37 PM
He was brought in to score goals for Hibs, and that didn’t happen
Think he only scored 1/2

How do you score half a goal?

BoomtownHibees
19-01-2022, 07:57 PM
He was brought in to score goals

Was he?

liquidator
19-01-2022, 08:09 PM
How do you score half a goal?

That'll be the one against Motherwell in the cup that was clearly offside.

Jones28
19-01-2022, 08:10 PM
I was really disappointed with Irvine. Offered very little for us and I certainly wasn’t sad to see him go.

BILLYHIBS
19-01-2022, 08:21 PM
I was really disappointed with Irvine. Offered very little for us and I certainly wasn’t sad to see him go.

“Ditto”

The Modfather
19-01-2022, 08:26 PM
I’d have liked to have seen Irvine with a full pre season behind him and don’t think Ross knew how to get the best out of him. Saying that his form did dip from a promising start. Would have been happy enough to keep him but wasn’t overly disappointed when he left.

Centre Hawf
19-01-2022, 08:30 PM

After a cracking 3 or 4 weeks initially he faded off into the background most games. Was also disappointed but I put it down to fitness and needing a pre season. Was happy to keep him but if the guy wanted to go try something different I had no ill feeling towards him and hope he does well.

Hibee Mac
19-01-2022, 09:34 PM
After a cracking 3 or 4 weeks initially he faded off into the background most games. Was also disappointed but I put it down to fitness and needing a pre season. Was happy to keep him but if the guy wanted to go try something different I had no ill feeling towards him and hope he does well.I think a big part of that was Jack Ross's negative style and insistance on a pedestrian midfield. Irvine is a good player and we didn't get the best out of him while he was here.

I remember thinking multiple times throughout the season that Irvine must wonder why the hell he came to Hibs as sometimes it felt as though he was just being used as a big target man in the midfield to shell long balls towards.

ian cruise
19-01-2022, 09:44 PM
There's a pattern with good midfielders underperforming when we try accommodate Newell in to the midfield alongside them Irvine started well, JDH started well. Newell might be a tidy footballer but he's the common denominator to our midfield woes.

Unseen work
19-01-2022, 09:44 PM
I was a big fan of him but don’t think we used him correctly.

He has bags of energy and is never a number 10 imo.

Played some very good passes from deep, almost Scott Allan esque and imo was no surprise Boyle hit such good form with him in the team

B.H.F.C
19-01-2022, 09:49 PM
There's a pattern with good midfielders underperforming when we try accommodate Newell in to the midfield alongside them Irvine started well, JDH started well. Newell might be a tidy footballer but he's the common denominator to our midfield woes.

Agree with this. We’d found a good balance, won a few games on the trot and played really well against Aberdeen at home. Newell came back from injury the next week, we changed the midfield about and it wasn’t as good as it had been with Irvine getting shunted about.

Without starting another Newell debate, we ended up with Irvine getting shunted out to the left at times as a result. I didn’t think we got as much out of him as we should.

Unseen work
19-01-2022, 09:51 PM
Agree with this. We’d found a good balance, won a few games on the trot and played really well against Aberdeen at home. Newell came back from injury the next week, we changed the midfield about and it wasn’t as good as it had been.

Without starting another Newell debate, we ended up with Irvine getting shunted out to the left at times as a result. I didn’t think we got as much out of him as we should.

In fairness to Newell he came back in against Celtic.

Imo nothing would have changed on Monday if it was JDH/Gogic with Campbell as it has been the two previous games.

Likewise I think if Newell was in the two previous we would still have played well.

The 90+2
19-01-2022, 09:53 PM
Irvine is much better than anyone we have in midfield right now sadly.

flash
19-01-2022, 09:54 PM
Irvine is much better than anyone we have in midfield right now sadly.

He was murder in most games he played for us.

B.H.F.C
19-01-2022, 09:56 PM
In fairness to Newell he came back in against Celtic.

Imo nothing would have changed on Monday if it was JDH/Gogic with Campbell as it has been the two previous games.

Likewise I think if Newell was in the two previous we would still have played well.

Sorry, the Aberdeen at home I was referring to was last season when we played really well and changed things about to get Newell back in the team. In the context of this thread, I think Irvine suffered thereafter.

Winston Ingram
20-01-2022, 05:21 AM

JR rarely played him in his correct position. Playing him left midfield in a 442 didn’t help and neither did using him as no 10.

Since452
20-01-2022, 05:25 AM
Awful cup final performance. Sadly that's what I'll remember him for.

JimBHibees
20-01-2022, 06:01 AM

Was gutted as had 20 on him to score first goal at 20 to 1. What a chance he missed. :greengrin

St Pauli Hibee
20-01-2022, 10:43 AM
He is played centrally for St Pauli in more of a deep lying position but does tend to get forward when he can. He was played completely out of position at Hibs which is why we didn't really see the best of him.

Playing really well at the moment with St Pauli top of the 2. Bundesliga & now into the last 8 of the German Cup

evy
20-01-2022, 10:57 AM

Should have scored at 0-0 early doors, all downhill from there. I said to my mates that morning that we needed to score first as if we went behind they knew how to see out a 1-0....

Danderhall Hibs
20-01-2022, 11:29 AM
Should have scored at 0-0 early doors, all downhill from there. I said to my mates that morning that we needed to score first as if we went behind they knew how to see out a 1-0....

:agree: said the same in the build up to the game. Everyone knew it.

As for Irvine - I wasn't bothered when he didn't re-sign. Didn't show anything worth paying over the odds for.

WestStandWillie
20-01-2022, 11:50 AM
Started brightly enough but was just a waste of a jersey come the end of his time at the club.

Was asked to name the club's scorers in 2021 and had completely forgot all about him.

Jackson who?

Hibiza
20-01-2022, 02:11 PM
Yet another " journeyman" .

Stanton Spence
21-01-2022, 05:36 PM
I see St Pauli are one nout in front away to Hamburg at ht tonight
He must have a good chance of playing in the bundesliga next season with them top of the league
I wanted him to sign for us for a while before we did, then when we did I was very underwhelmed.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

RIP
22-01-2022, 10:21 AM
I’ve literally lost count of the number of skinny footballers Hibs have signed over the last twenty years who can play nice touches yet cannae tackle a fish supper.

Football in the SPFL is a contact sport and in far too many games, our central midfield players failed to dominate. Jackson Irvine, for all of his footballing ability, was another in that same mould.