PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Celtic 17 01 2022)

Jonnyboy
17-01-2022, 10:57 PM
Prior to hearing the team line-ups, I was anticipating seeing at least a couple of our new signings as Celtic provided the opposition on the resumption of football after the winter break. As it was, only Bushiri made the starting eleven and Mueller the bench with the others missing for a variety of reasons. Shaun Maloney went with a 3-5-2 at the start but the formation changed a couple of times during the game as Hibs struggled, especially in the first half, with the pace and high press employed by the hosts.

With barely three minutes on the clock, Kevin Nisbet missed a glorious chance to give Hibs the lead. Fed by Chris Cadden, Kevin contrived to hit the post from very close range when scoring looked so much easier to do. Within a minute of that happening, Celtic took the lead when slack play by Campbell saw Abada steal the ball, then feed it to Rogic who picked up the unmarked Maeda who in turn struck a low shot past Macey. It was a sucker punch and a sign of things to come in terms of Hibs defending sloppily, especially the left side of the defence where Doig was being taught a lesson by the quick moving and thinking opponents.

Celtic were dominating the play and Hibs struggled to get out of their own half whilst the hosts fizzed passes right and left with our midfield players chasing shadows. On the quarter hour, Starfelt lost Hanlon in the box when a corner came in from their right but thankfully the headed attempt went wide of the target. Soon after that, Rogic took the ball down with his left knee and fired a right footed volley goalwards but the swerve on the ball took it wide. It was alarming watching Celtic carve us open at will and soon after the Rogic miss, Forrest struck a low shot that looked on target but was deflected wide by Bushiri.

It seemed only a matter of time before Celtic struck again and in fact, they did on twenty five minutes. Taylor picked out Abada in the box and when the recipient of the pass attempted to flick the ball past Doig it struck the Hibs man on the arm and Willie Collum had little option but to award a penalty. Matt Macey was raging for some reason but even without my green tinted specs on I thought it was as clear cut as they get. Up stepped Juranovic to send Macey the wrong way and put the hosts two goals ahead.

I’ll be honest and say that I’ve witnessed many a pumping by Celtic and I genuinely felt another was on the cards as we were offering nothing going forward and sometimes riding our luck at the back as numerous efforts were either deflected wide or saved by Macey. And then, at last, we broke forward and Cadden raced clear on the right, cutting the ball back to the waiting Nisbet who got a clean contact, but the effort was blocked and flew up into the air. As it came down, Campbell tried his luck but again the ball struck a leg and flew up into the air. This time, as it came down, Juranovic managed to con Collum into giving him a free kick because Campbell had not actually made any contact with the Celtic man.

From the resultant free kick, Celtic swept down the park and a pass from their right found Hatate who struck a sweet volley on target but found Macey equal to the task. Over the next five minutes or so, Rogic, Forrest and Hatate again all tried their luck, but a combination of good blocking and lucky deflections stopped the hosts killing the game off before half time. That whistle couldn’t come quick enough for me but before it did, Abada had two decent attempts on goal with one going wide and the other too high. Sandwiched in between those, Nisbet shot miles high and wide from around eighteen yards.

The second half started as the first had ended, with Celtic on the attack and that man Abada forcing a save out of Matt Macey. Moments later, Hatate was given the freedom of the eighteen yard box but fluffed his lines in shooting wide with only Macey to beat. Hibs were seeing a bit more of possession but doing little with it as Celtic pushed for a third with Abada missing an absolute sitter as he pounced on a knock down from Carter-Vickers but from one yard out he hit the ball wide and then crashed into the post. Soon after that, Jamie Murphy replaced Josh Campbell just prior to Jake Doyle-Hayes picking up a yellow card for pulling his man back.

It seemed to me as though Hibs were more in the game now and that may well have been because the manager had reorganised them at half time. Certainly, both Cadden and Doig were venturing further forward whist Doyle-Hayes made a couple of excellent cross field passes in an attempt the stretch the Celtic back line. A further attempt to change things up came when Stevenson and Scott replaced Doig and Nisbet. Two thought here; Doig had endured a torrid time of it and perhaps should have been subbed at half time whilst Scott went to play up front and Doidge was left on the bench.

With fifteen minutes to go, a whole raft of substitutions was made with Allan and Bradley replacing Newell and Wright for Hibs whilst Celtic also freshened things up with three changes of their own. A couple of minutes later, Bushiri was shown a yellow card for a hefty challenge of the ‘got there as soon as I could ref’ variety. When James Forrest failed to beat Lewis Stevenson, something that has happened often when the two face each other, the Celtic man was replaced by Jota who was returning from injury.

Celtic were very comfortable with their two goal lead but needed a good save from Joe Hart to stop a low cross from Murphy picking out Boyle at the back post. Almost immediately after that, Rogic waltzed forward and hit a low effort just wide of Macey’s right hand post and that was pretty much the end of any meaningful action.

Losing to Celtic at Parkhead is not unusual as is losing to a Celtic side that plays with pace and aggression. Despite that I felt there were a couple of positives to take from the game, the most obvious one being the performance of Rocky Bushiri. The guy hasn’t played in an age; was new to his team mates and they to him and yet I thought he put in a good shift, looking strong and composed and displaying a skill of reading the play. Needless to say, he’s my man of the match.

The players

Macey – Matt had no chance with the first goal and the second was a penalty. I thought he looked pretty solid throughout and pulled off a couple of decent saves.

Bushiri – As I’ve said, his performance was man of the match quality for me. He reads the game well, has a turn of pace and looks like he’s been here for months.

Hanlon – Not Paul’s best game tonight. Too often caught out by the quick movement of the Celtic front men.

Doig – I spent the first forty five minutes cringing at how poor Josh was defensively. He was caught out a number of times and you need only look back at the number of passes/crosses delivered into our box from that side.

Cadden – Kinda flitted in and out of things and spent most of the game defending rather than offering width on our right. Did, however, set up a fantastic chance for Hibs to take the lead but sadly it wasn’t taken.

Newell – Another who flitted in and out of the game, Joe worked hard enough but has this annoying habit of slowing the game down when we least need that to happen.

Doyle-Hayes – I’ve criticised Jake in the past for turning back as his first reaction when he received the ball but tonight, I was happy to see a few occasions when he moved Hibs forward with pinpoint cross field passes.

Campbell – I was struggling to see why Josh had been deployed on the left and felt it didn’t suit his game at all.

Wright – Oft criticised but I thought he was fine tonight. Worked hard and chased opponents down which a couple of his team mates singularly failed to do often enough.

Boyle – Peripheral for the most part but when your team mates don’t get far enough up the park to pass the ball to you that’s hardly surprising.

Nisbet – Missing that early sitter basically set the tone for him tonight.

Murphy – Tried his best to get us on the front foot with a couple of decent passes.

Stevenson – For me, the left hand side of our defence only looked strong after Lewis came on.

Scott – JR had commented on his weight, but he looked trim enough to me. Never a central striker though and I’m mystified as to why he was favoured over Doidge.

Allan – Nothing of note to report really.

Bradley – Nothing of note to report really.

Shaun Maloney – Surprised to hear that he told Hibs TV he was pleased with most of the game! I’m guessing he meant he’s had the chance to see how his charges cope with a game of that magnitude.

Referee – I’m away for a lie down because I’m going to say he had a decent game!

Footnote: I’m aware that I’ve been harsh on a few and of the whole performance but I think it’s fair because we were second best all over the park for almost the entire ninety minutes.

17-01-2022, 11:21 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy, spot on as usual.

I wonder if Doig got a start ahead of Stevenson because he looks better in training but that's because he's only up against Hibs players and not Celtic players in training.

Unseen work
17-01-2022, 11:29 PM
For me there’s a couple of points;

Doig looked poor defensively but I think that’s due to the lack of protection in front of him as Campbell was poor and seemed a bit lost. I think this was due to him being told to slightly change position when out of possession due to celtics fullbacks tucking in.

We played good possession and in tight areas but the times we got in 1 v 1 positions or forward we were nowhere near ruthless or direct enough and need to be braver. I was happy that Maloney recognised this and said it’s something we need to improve on and it’s on him to coach it.

Wright for me had a decent enough game again and Scott done far more in 10-15 minutes than Nisbet did.

Doidge and Mueller never got on imo as the game was effectively done and it allowed Maloney to see some other players in action who he is undecided on. Expect both to play against Cove.

Happy with Rocky’s debut after a shaky start. Seemed to read the game well and win his duels with the opposition.

B.H.F.C
17-01-2022, 11:36 PM

Doig looked poor defensively but I think that’s due to the lack of protection in front of him as Campbell was poor and seemed a bit lost. I think this was due to him being told to slightly change position when out of possession due to celtics fullbacks tucking in.

We played good possession and in tight areas but the times we got in 1 v 1 positions or forward we were nowhere near ruthless or direct enough and need to be braver. I was happy that Maloney recognised this and said it’s something we need to improve on and it’s on him to coach it.

Wright for me had a decent enough game again and Scott done far more in 10-15 minutes than Nisbet did.

Doidge and Mueller never got on imo as the game was effectively done and it allowed Maloney to see some other players in action who he is undecided on. Expect both to play against Cove.

Happy with Rocky’s debut after a shaky start. Seemed to read the game well and win his duels with the opposition.

The point on Campbell, I just found it strange what he was being asked to do.

When I saw them warming up with Caldwell, doing the shape and he was left wing back I found it weird. When we were out of possession though, he went away inside and it was like we flipped to a back four at that point and just gave up the space down that side. It really didn’t work, in or out of possession.

The Harp Awakes
17-01-2022, 11:56 PM
Agree with most of that JB, although I thought Cadden was much better than you rated him. I think his work rate down the right nullified Celtic's threat on that side of the park. I also think Boyle did as much as he could with next to no support most of the game.

Celtic's centre backs must absolutely love playing against us. That's 3 games now in a few months and apart from the last 15 minutes at Hampden, it's been a stroll in the park for them. I really don't understand when we are so toothless and weak up front, that Doidge gets so little game time. Totally bewildering.

Unseen work
18-01-2022, 12:42 AM
Cadden is a funny one for me, I think he had a good game again tonight compared to most but I don’t know there’s something about him where I just wish he was a bit better on the ball and able to pick a pass.

In saying that he was probably our biggest threat tonight with his cross for Nisbet and then when he skinned Taylor and cut it back which Hart intercepted. Also think it was him that floated a ball to the back post which Wright made a meal of/tried to be too smart.

He’s very good at just running the whole right hand side himself for the whole game, his energy is incredible.

Kept Forrest relatively quiet tonight too.

BILLYHIBS
18-01-2022, 02:10 AM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

Brilliant work

Celtic did to us what I thought we would do to them press wise

Maybes I am expecting too much too soon and need to join you in that dark room

At times it was like watching a JR side with all the backwards sideyways passing from JDH and Newell

That needs to change but in fairness at times they had little option

What happened to all the movement and people showing for the ball of the previous game ?

We were never in it but things could have been so different if Nisbet scores that early tap in with his left foot instead of electing to go with the outside of his right

You just cannot afford to miss those sort of chances at Darkheid

We are never competing with Celtic financially but looks as though we need to tweak our squad with a few comings and goings to play the way SM wants us to play

Let’s see what happens Thursday

Since452
18-01-2022, 05:21 AM
Celtic are a class above us. Like has been said, Nisbets miss and Celtic's goal right after just set the tone. Luckily we don't need to play them every week.

expresso
18-01-2022, 05:31 AM
After a shaky start Rocky grew into game and was very impressive.
Hanlon was poor in comparison as was Doig

Brightside
18-01-2022, 07:00 AM
Normally agree with you JB. But I’m lost how Hanlon didn’t get a better rating from you. Both the CBs had an excellent game and probably stopped us getting a pumping, with zero help from our midfield.

bigwheel
18-01-2022, 07:11 AM
Normally agree with you JB. But I’m lost how Hanlon didn’t get a better rating from you. Both the CBs had an excellent game and probably stopped us getting a pumping, with zero help from our midfield.

Which two ? We played three at the back last night….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leith Green
18-01-2022, 07:15 AM

I was pretty sure it was a back 4 , cadden Rocky hanlon doig ..

Tarrahib
18-01-2022, 07:17 AM

Hope your right about Doidge and Mueller playing against Cove.in my mind I thank Maloney is assessing all the players under game conditions before making up his mind about who he will let leave the club before the end of the window.

500miles
18-01-2022, 07:24 AM
We got beat because Celtic have better individual players than us, who do what we are trying to do every week. I understand what Maloney was trying to do and might be able to do with a full squad and a bit more time playing this system, but we should have been more direct.

For all the moaning about the first half of the LC Final, last night was a ringing endorsement of how we set up there. Then you start to pick holes and target Starfelt and worry the keeper.

What I will say is I expected us to get a much worse going over trying to go toe to toe with Celtic than we did, so we've obviously done well in a lot of respects and can feel a little hard done by given the nature of their second goal.

Brightside
18-01-2022, 07:29 AM

We played a back 4 until Lewis came on. Cadden Rocky Hanlon Doig.

bigwheel
18-01-2022, 07:31 AM
We played a back 4 until Lewis came on. Cadden Rocky Hanlon Doig.

No we didn’t.

Brightside
18-01-2022, 07:42 AM
No we didn’t.

I’m happy to bet you £100 to go to the community foundation on that. 😂. It was clear as day.

bigwheel
18-01-2022, 07:47 AM
I’m happy to bet you £100 to go to the community foundation on that. [emoji23]. It was clear as day.

I was there…smileys all you want, Doig played tucked in, narrow as an LCB ….we didn’t play with a left back. It caused us all sorts of problems, particularly in the first half.

BoomtownHibees
18-01-2022, 07:48 AM
I was there…smileys all you want, Doig played tucked in, narrow as an LCB ….we didn’t play with a left back. It caused us all sorts of problems, particularly in the first half.

I’m with you and was there too

weecounty hibby
18-01-2022, 07:50 AM
I don't agree about Collum having no option but to give the penalty. The rules of the game are a mess right now about penalties but I dont think it was going by those current rules

B.H.F.C
18-01-2022, 08:05 AM
I’m happy to bet you £100 to go to the community foundation on that. 😂. It was clear as day.

We never. Before the game Caldwell was warming them up, doing some shape stuff and it was with a back three with Cadden and Campbell as wing backs.

It was strange and there was obviously some kind of tactical thing we were trying out of possession as Campbell went away in the pitch as soon as we lost the ball which left us totally exposed down that side.

Tambo
18-01-2022, 08:11 AM
To concede a goal so early was always going to kill us I think, if only Nisbet put his early chance away.

Lost count how many times we was exposed on our left side in the first half and some of the play at the back was a joke with the tippy tap passing not going anywhere.

No conidence JDH was poor as he and Newell do not work together In this role. Newell frustrated me yet again as first half all it was all backwards sidewards.

Forward line never got into the game much and I defended Nibset at half time but boy does he need dropped for a few games.

Was not the ideal game to come into after the break and it showed in the quality of players on each team, fair play to ange who changed his tatics for this game.

We go again Thursday and I expect some goals!!

GGTTH.

Brightside
18-01-2022, 08:13 AM
If we played a back 3 why did Hanlon and Rocky split to either side of the box when we had the ball? That makes no sense at all. If we where playing a 3 Hanlon would have stayed in the middle.

bigwheel
18-01-2022, 08:17 AM
If we played a back 3 why did Hanlon and Rocky split to either side of the box when we had the ball? That makes no sense at all. If we where playing a 3 Hanlon would have stayed in the middle.

Because Macey had the ball at his feet…it was simply positioning for that moment in the game to give him different options to play the ball..which he did - to Hanlon in his box….the ball never got further than around our 18/20 yard line for their first goal. there were no full backs pushing forward. you’ve called this one wrong

GreenCastle
18-01-2022, 08:18 AM
We got beat because Celtic have better individual players than us, who do what we are trying to do every week. I understand what Maloney was trying to do and might be able to do with a full squad and a bit more time playing this system, but we should have been more direct.

For all the moaning about the first half of the LC Final, last night was a ringing endorsement of how we set up there. Then you start to pick holes and target Starfelt and worry the keeper.

What I will say is I expected us to get a much worse going over trying to go toe to toe with Celtic than we did, so we've obviously done well in a lot of respects and can feel a little hard done by given the nature of their second goal.

Celtic away will probably always be our hardest away game.

Rangers away is difficult but we always seem to do a bit more against them.

Celtic are just to be better than us plying the way we want to with better players who are paid more.

Centre midfield I feel still needs a different balance to it - JDH and Newell are decent at times but just don’t think they are best together. I keep wishing we sign the next SJM type player. It’s annoying Magennis has been injured as it finally looked like we maybe found a player who added more from midfield.

Next game we should have more players available - the one thing that’s obvious is Maloney is definitely not afraid to try new things with the players and use the squad.

BoomtownHibees
18-01-2022, 08:19 AM

If we played a back 4 why was Caldwell taking the 3 plus Cadden and Campbell through the defensive stuff in the warm up?

Blaster
18-01-2022, 08:25 AM
I was told before the game it was to be a back 4 when in possession and a back 5 when they had the ball

Didn’t see the game so no idea but might help explain the confusion

BoomtownHibees
18-01-2022, 08:30 AM
I was told before the game it was to be a back 4 when in possession and a back 5 when they had the ball

Didn’t see the game so no idea but might help explain the confusion

If anything, it looked to be the opposite of that with Campbell moving in to the middle of the park when Celtic had the ball. Unless at that point Drey Wright was meant to then drop back in to the lwb position

Blaster
18-01-2022, 08:37 AM
If anything, it looked to be the opposite of that with Campbell moving in to the middle of the park when Celtic had the ball. Unless at that point Drey Wright was meant to then drop back in the time the lwb position

Quite possibly mate. My memory maybe got it the wrong way round 😀

Brightside
18-01-2022, 09:16 AM
Because Macey had the ball at his feet…it was simply positioning for that moment in the game to give him different options to play the ball..which he did - to Hanlon in his box….the ball never got further than around our 18/20 yard line for their first goal. there were no full backs pushing forward. you’ve called this one wrong

If we were playing a back 3 Rocky and Hanlon would not have been at either side of the box. That’s not a small misjudgement it’s 2 players being 20+ yards out of position and you wouldn’t even get that with youth football. They were set up to play as 2 CBs, and they continued to play like that until Stevenson came on and Hanlon moved central.

B.H.F.C
18-01-2022, 09:20 AM
If we were playing a back 3 Rocky and Hanlon would not have been at either side of the box. That’s not a small misjudgement it’s 2 players being 20+ yards out of position and you wouldn’t even get that with youth football. They were set up to play as 2 CBs, and they continued to play like that until Stevenson came on and Hanlon moved central.

Why weee they warming up as a three before the game then?

number9dream
18-01-2022, 09:30 AM
Last time we played well at Celtic Park was the 2-2 game with McGinn driving us on, while we had guys like McGeouch, Whittaker, Stokes and Efe who could take a touch in a tight situation and move the ball on effectively. Last night we had no such drive and our players looked utterly stressed by Celtic's press, not helped by losing such an early goal after missing a golden chance.
Hopefully, Henderson can add a bit of quality in the middle, but he's pretty much untested at this level, and we need a fit Magennis to add forward momentum with a bit of dig too.
Newell can do the job but had an off night and JDH was terribly passive again, bar a five minute spell in the second half when he actually played a couple of forward passes. Campbell looked lost.

bigwheel
18-01-2022, 09:34 AM

You’ll have to ask them that..there’s been lots of evidence as to why your view is wrong. Including photographs. Tbh, don’t intend to explore it more. It was clear to see from anyone at the game what the starting set ups were.

Wonder what the foundation will do with your hundred quid ? [emoji1787]

h185forever
18-01-2022, 09:38 AM
Just watched the post match interview with Maloney.

I’m not convinced by a lot of what he said and I’m not sure he was either. I’m no body language expert but his constant rapid eye movement I found quite unsettling, he could hardly look at the interviewer.

I still think he will improve the team given time but he will have to show a ruthless streak with some of the players.

Onwards and upwards GGTTH

hfc-1875
18-01-2022, 09:40 AM
I couldn’t work out what formation we were playing either to be honest, sometimes looked like a 4 then when cadden was getting the ball on the right it looked like doig was tucking in.

jacomo
18-01-2022, 10:01 AM
I couldn’t work out what formation we were playing either to be honest, sometimes looked like a 4 then when cadden was getting the ball on the right it looked like doig was tucking in.

The worry is we have another manager (like Heckingbottom) who complicates things with so many bits and pieces of information that our own players don’t know what they are supposed to be doing.

Tyler Durden
18-01-2022, 10:16 AM
We never. Before the game Caldwell was warming them up, doing some shape stuff and it was with a back three with Cadden and Campbell as wing backs.

It was strange and there was obviously some kind of tactical thing we were trying out of possession as Campbell went away in the pitch as soon as we lost the ball which left us totally exposed down that side.

This is correct. 3-5-2 / 3-4-3 when we had the ball with Campbell on the left.

When we lost possession it was a 4-3-1-2 with Campbell infield. As you said on another post, it was likely to counter the Celtic full backs who play inverted when in possession. When we had possession, in theory it gave Doig an option to pass to Campbell. Unfortunately it didn't work at all.

Actually think it was quite a mistake from Maloney to basically have a left sided trio of Doig, Campbell and Wright. Doig and Campbell both looked uncomfortable and it cost us the 2 goals.

Tyler Durden
18-01-2022, 10:20 AM
There's a little bit of analysis here https://twitter.com/coachchrismcl/status/1483084039288463361?s=20 - on some of Maloney's early tactical ideas and how our left sided trio rotated in the game vs Aberdeen.

Last night was a bit different but the deployment of Campbell shows he'll tweak things in different games as he sees fit. It just didn't work unfortunately. I think Campbell has been good at CM and deserves to keep his place in there.

Tyler Durden
18-01-2022, 10:21 AM
The worry is we have another manager (like Heckingbottom) who complicates things with so many bits and pieces of information that our own players don’t know what they are supposed to be doing.

Wasn't the case against Aberdeen or Dundee Utd, so I don't think we should overthink a defeat away to Celtic.

Some of Maloney's tactical ideas already bearing fruit.

B.H.F.C
18-01-2022, 10:43 AM
Last time we played well at Celtic Park was the 2-2 game with McGinn driving us on, while we had guys like McGeouch, Whittaker, Stokes and Efe who could take a touch in a tight situation and move the ball on effectively. Last night we had no such drive and our players looked utterly stressed by Celtic's press, not helped by losing such an early goal after missing a golden chance.
Hopefully, Henderson can add a bit of quality in the middle, but he's pretty much untested at this level, and we need a fit Magennis to add forward momentum with a bit of dig too.
Newell can do the job but had an off night and JDH was terribly passive again, bar a five minute spell in the second half when he actually played a couple of forward passes. Campbell looked lost.

I agree with your general point here. For all the talk of tactics, which didn’t work by the way, you need your players to be brave on the ball and we didn’t have that. Middle of the park took the easy/negative option nearly every time they had the ball. Cadden tried to get at them, Boyle to an extent, but that was about it.

RossScott1991
18-01-2022, 10:47 AM
I just don’t rate JDH.

Not sure he’s the answer. Certainly not in same team as Newell.

hfc-1875
18-01-2022, 11:07 AM

Yeah agree with that, maybe get away with trying tactics the players aren’t used to against teams we expect to be beating, but at parkhead I think we would have been better setting up to be solid for as long as possible and try get a point or have a go late on.

Stuart93
18-01-2022, 11:14 AM
I just don’t rate JDH.

I was excited when I seen him earlier in the season but he’s not really kicked on. He was getting the ball off the defence looking up and finding a forward pass but he’s not really doing that much anymore.

Hopefully he can pick it up again but I agree, him and Newell in midfield doesn’t really work.

jacomo
18-01-2022, 12:23 PM
Wasn't the case against Aberdeen or Dundee Utd, so I don't think we should overthink a defeat away to Celtic.

Some of Maloney's tactical ideas already bearing fruit.

Hecky enjoyed a new manager bounce too.

Not saying the same thing will happen - I very much hope it doesn’t - but it’s a potential concern.

JimBHibees
18-01-2022, 02:25 PM
I just don’t rate JDH.

Think he is one of our best players