PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Penalty

gbhibby
17-01-2022, 10:20 PM
Looking at the highlights the ball seems to hit Doig on the chest before hitting his arm

JXM73
17-01-2022, 10:22 PM
Flicked up from a foot away?

greenginger
17-01-2022, 10:25 PM
Looking at the highlights the ball seems to hit Doig on the chest before hitting his arm

Exactly, if it comes off another part of a players body and accidentally hits his arm then it’s no penalty.

But, it’s a Glasgow ref in a Glasgow stadium refereeing for a Glasgow team. So penalty is given.

17-01-2022, 10:26 PM

Exactly, if it comes off another part of a players body and accidentally hits his arm then it’s no penalty.

But, it’s a Glasgow ref in a Glasgow stadium refereeing for a Glasgow team. So penalty is given.

Was going to post that on the match thread at the time but wasn't sure if that was still the rule or not.

gbhibby
17-01-2022, 10:31 PM

We need VAR as that would have been looked at
Wonder if that will be looked at by sportscene probably not as it's Celtic

hibbysam
17-01-2022, 10:54 PM

Not quite the rule. It’s still a penalty if it’s in an unnatural position. Fairly harsh but probably right. Worst bit though was Collum clearly wasn’t going to give it until the shouts got louder.

SMAXXA
17-01-2022, 11:06 PM
Not quite the rule. It’s still a penalty if it’s in an unnatural position. Fairly harsh but probably right. Worst bit though was Collum clearly wasn’t going to give it until the shouts got louder.

Not really the case the linesman gave it that’s what the delay was nothing to do with the shouts

WeeRussell
17-01-2022, 11:09 PM
Haven’t yet seen any videos of the penalty incident. Going from descriptions on here I’m going to guess I will concede it was a penalty but will wait and see..

Sir David Gray
17-01-2022, 11:09 PM
It was a penalty under the current interpretation of the rules. If it had been up the other end we would have been screaming for it.

Pete
17-01-2022, 11:12 PM
It's the sort of penalty that, if it was in the other box, would have been waved away. 'Smaller' clubs are playing against 12 men when they are up against the 'bigger' teams and even if it isn't deliberate, there's a subconscious bias. I'm talking about down South as well.
We probably still would've lost tonight but who knows?

hibbysam
17-01-2022, 11:12 PM
Not really the case the linesman gave it that’s what the delay was nothing to do with the shouts

No chance the lino gave that, it was completely blindside for him, with two players in between and Doig’s arm on the other side of the body, Collum was looking straight at it with a clear view.

Pete
17-01-2022, 11:13 PM
It was a penalty under the current interpretation of the rules. If it had been up the other end we would have been screaming for it.

Maybe, but it wouldn't have been awarded.

silverhibee
17-01-2022, 11:18 PM
It was a foul before it was a penalty, celtc player controls the ball with his arm.

Carheenlea
18-01-2022, 12:36 AM

We would never have been awarded it though.

allezsauzee
18-01-2022, 09:19 AM
Doig deliberates moves his arm towards the ball. It's instinctive and he's clearly not had much time to think about it but this has been a penalty for as long as I've been watching football, it doesn't need a "current interpretation of the rules" caveat.

JimBHibees
18-01-2022, 10:24 AM
Think very soft pen typical Collum

Edinburgh Green
18-01-2022, 10:26 AM
Doig deliberates moves his arm towards the ball. It's instinctive and he's clearly not had much time to think about it but this has been a penalty for as long as I've been watching football, it doesn't need a "current interpretation of the rules" caveat.

You think Doig, deliberately moves his hand towards the ball? I think it was a penalty, but its a horrible rule.

hibbysam
18-01-2022, 10:26 AM

I don’t think he deliberately moves it towards the ball, I think it’s him trying to get his hand out the way, but by doing so it ends up in the old ‘unnatural position’.

SlickShoes
18-01-2022, 11:03 AM

It was kicked up and hit his chest then his arm, the whole thing happened in about 1-2 seconds. When the ball hits his chest there is no way he can move his arm either towards or away from the ball because there is simply not time to react or do anything.

The rules say its a penalty but it's extremely harsh, you can't blame Doig for any of it really.

Hibernian Verse
18-01-2022, 11:23 AM
No chance the lino gave that, it was completely blindside for him, with two players in between and Doig’s arm on the other side of the body, Collum was looking straight at it with a clear view.

It was the linesman. Collum played on.

flash
18-01-2022, 11:41 AM
Surely if it hit his chest first, which it did, the rules are it isn't a penalty.

Keyser Sauzee
18-01-2022, 11:44 AM
Did nobody else see Abada control it with his arm first?

Alfred E Newman
18-01-2022, 11:49 AM
Haven't seen it yet but Packy and Tom English thought it was a clear penalty so it must have been. :hmmm:

EVENTUALLY
18-01-2022, 11:50 AM

Absolutely. There was even less chance of that being given than the pen claim being waved away.

JohnM1875
18-01-2022, 11:56 AM

Yes! Been saying it since it happened last night. Looked clear as day to me.

ACLeith
18-01-2022, 03:09 PM
Just watched Sportscene. 100% ricocheted off his chest onto the arm. No penalty or am I misunderstanding the rule? (I mean the ricochet rule as against the Glasgow rule)

Dazzjw1875
18-01-2022, 03:12 PM
It wasn't a pen watched the highlights very soft! If we had VAR 100% wouldn't be given. But it was regardless given or not we didn't have a shot on target that's a bigger issue for me.

hibbysam
18-01-2022, 04:20 PM
Just watched Sportscene. 100% ricocheted off his chest onto the arm. No penalty or am I misunderstanding the rule? (I mean the ricochet rule as against the Glasgow rule)

The ricochet is irrelevant if his hand is in an unnatural position. No idea why the rules even say it as it doesn’t have any bearing.

Carheenlea
18-01-2022, 04:47 PM
It wasn't a pen watched the highlights very soft! If we had VAR 100% wouldn't be given. But it was regardless given or not we didn't have a shot on target that's a bigger issue for me.

That would depend on who was making the decisions.

Scottish Football couldn’t be trusted with VAR, and would only mean The Old Firm getting even more of the decisions their way than they currently do.

gbhibby
18-01-2022, 05:05 PM
The ricochet is irrelevant if his hand is in an unnatural position. No idea why the rules even say it as it doesn’t have any bearing.
Brought it up as I thought handball ball rule was still the old one. The update makes sense but accidental handball is being punished. I am sure we will get one in our favour but the old firm seem to get the rub of the green when it comes to the decision making.

Killiehibbie
18-01-2022, 05:11 PM

What is a natural position?
Depending on what you are doing they can be in many different positions and unnatural to me might not be to you when running.

hibbysam
18-01-2022, 05:38 PM
Depending on what you are doing they can be in many different positions and unnatural to me might not be to you when running.

Wouldn’t disagree with that at all, and if it was me there’s no way I’d have a rule that would make last nights handball a foul, but unfortunately anytime a hand is away from the body and in the air it’ll be a foul.

Was merely pointing out to those saying VAR would’ve overturned it that there’s no chance it would.

Killiehibbie
18-01-2022, 05:43 PM
Wouldn’t disagree with that at all, and if it was me there’s no way I’d have a rule that would make last nights handball a foul, but unfortunately anytime a hand is away from the body and in the air it’ll be a foul.

Was merely pointing out to those saying VAR would’ve overturned it that there’s no chance it would.

Anything that's open to interpretation is always going to be a problem with the quality of officials in this country.

Ray_
18-01-2022, 06:07 PM
Doig's contact should have been totally irrelevant, it was clear as day that the Celtic player controlled the ball with his arm, not hit off, controlled.

Scottish football is either institutionally corrupt in favour of the old firm or grossly inept.

18-01-2022, 06:15 PM
Doig's contact should have been totally irrelevant, it was clear as day that the Celtic player controlled the ball with his arm, not hit off, controlled.

Scottish football is either institutionally corrupt in favour of the old firm or grossly inept.

Yup.

See 1 minute into the video clip.

https://youtu.be/1A_cdRj1uLg

https://i.ibb.co/tqh3XbN/Screenshot-20220118-191127-You-Tube.jpg (https://ibb.co/5r92F5z)

JohnM1875
18-01-2022, 06:47 PM
Yup.

https://i.ibb.co/tqh3XbN/Screenshot-20220118-191127-You-Tube.jpg (https://ibb.co/5r92F5z)

Knew it!! Ridiculous decision 😡

gbhibby
18-01-2022, 07:29 PM
Yup.

Clear as day.

hibbyboy1
19-01-2022, 03:41 AM
When are they having the vote for VAR. And if passed how long to get up and running.

highland hibbee
19-01-2022, 08:29 AM

Aye but of course we wouldn’t have got it !

Forza Fred
19-01-2022, 09:16 AM

Interestingly Law 12 makes no mention of an ‘unnatural position’ although I have heard many tv commentators use this term.

What it talks about is ‘making the body unnaturally bigger’

Fuzzywuzzy
19-01-2022, 06:41 PM
https://twitter.com/MilanEye/status/1483190577441165312?t=d8T6vyqYSCTKOlLTwyMcvg&s=19

Could you ever imagine this happening.....

WeeRussell
19-01-2022, 06:46 PM
Interestingly Law 12 makes no mention of an ‘unnatural position’ although I have heard many tv commentators use this term.

What it talks about is ‘making the body unnaturally bigger’

Same thing really?

If your arm is out in an unnatural position it’s making your body bigger in a place that otherwise would not be in the way of the ball.

Killiehibbie
19-01-2022, 08:31 PM
Same thing really?

If your arm is out in an unnatural position it’s making your body bigger in a place that otherwise would not be in the way of the ball.
Looks more unnatural squeezing arms into your side or behind back.

bigwheel
19-01-2022, 08:35 PM

I honestly think the law makers have lost the real essence of what they are trying to avoid here….it should be about intentional handball….not something deflecting onto an arm from a yard away….the laws of the game around these points seem so contorted now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
19-01-2022, 08:55 PM

Fair point. I don’t think these get given as handballs though? Therefore the commentators are talking about the same thing as what’s in the rules, albeit “unnatural position” maybe not the best choice of words… in keeping of most commentary phrases!

malcolm
20-01-2022, 10:26 AM
I honestly think the law makers have lost the real essence of what they are trying to avoid here….it should be about intentional handball….not something deflecting onto an arm from a yard away….the laws of the game around these points seem so contorted now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Intent is probably exactly what the current reference to ‘making body unnaturally bigger’ aims to catch - make bigger to block the ball. Intent is in your head and hard for a ref to see so it seems a proxy for it has been used here. It relies on imperfect refs and var though so it remains hit or miss as it were! :greengrin