PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Australian Open

Sir David Gray
16-01-2022, 08:30 PM
The build up to this Grand Slam has been a build up like no other, probably in the history of tennis.

The headlines over the past two weeks have been all about Novak Djokovic, the world number one, tournament favourite and defending champion who has won this title a record 9 times and was looking to overtake both Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal for the number of Grand Slam titles won in his career.

However as someone who is famously opposed to vaccination he has faced fierce criticism from the Australian public ever since it was announced that he was entering the country on a medical exemption when the Australian population have been under some of the toughest Covid-19 restrictions in the world over the last 2 years.

He's spent much of the last two weeks in a detention hotel which has highlighted another issue of asylum seekers. However it all came to a climax earlier today when Djokovic's second appeal against deportation was heard by three judges and the decision of the Immigration Minister to cancel his visa was upheld and shortly afterwards Djokovic turned up at Melbourne Airport and was on a flight to Dubai.

So now we head into the tournament which starts in 2 and a half hours' time and hopefully with Djokovic no longer there we can focus on the tennis - after all as Rafael Nadal (who is looking to become the all-time leading men's Grand Slam champion himself) said the other day "there is no one player in history that's more important than an event."

We have some big players involved on day one. Nadal will play Marcos Giron, 2021 Queen's champion Matteo Berrettini plays Brandon Nakashima, Sascha Zverev plays fellow German Daniel Altmeier and we have British interest with Cam Norrie playing Sebastian Korda.

Here's to a great two weeks of tennis.

He's here!
16-01-2022, 11:12 PM
Would obviously love to see Andy Murray have a successful tournament but it's a big ask and even his first round match looks tough. I'd also like to see Cameron Norrie do well.

Be good if Nadal could win it. There seems to be an assumption that it's just a matter of time before Djokovic finally eclipses Nadal and Federer but if Nadal were to get to 21 Slams (and maybe even follow up at the French) it's suddenly a whole lot harder for Djokovic as he approaches his 35th birthday and a number of younger players finally looking capable of displacing the old guard.

Nadal's only won this title once though so probably a long shot at his age.

Sir David Gray
16-01-2022, 11:37 PM
Would obviously love to see Andy Murray have a successful tournament but it's a big ask and even his first round match looks tough. I'd also like to see Cameron Norrie do well.

Be good if Nadal could win it. There seems to be an assumption that it's just a matter of time before Djokovic finally eclipses Nadal and Federer but if Nadal were to get to 21 Slams (and maybe even follow up at the French) it's suddenly a whole lot harder for Djokovic as he approaches his 35th birthday and a number of younger players finally looking capable of displacing the old guard.

Nadal's only won this title once though so probably a long shot at his age.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Nadal and would love to see him win (if it's not Murray obviously) but I don't see it.

Although Nadal's only won the Australian Open once he does have a decent record there as he's also been into the final on a further four occasions.

I think Medvedev or perhaps Tsitsipas will be the tips for the tournament. They are in the same half of the draw though so they'll probably play each other in the semis.

Medvedev v Zverev final.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2022, 05:53 AM
Disappointing result for Cam Norrie as he loses in straight sets to Sebastian Korda.

Easy win for Nadal.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2022, 07:17 AM
It's going to be an early rise for any UK based Andy Murray fans tomorrow as his first round match v Nikoloz Basilashvili is due to start at 4am GMT.

Dan Evans not much better on at 3:30am v David Goffin.

Emma Raducanu plays in her first Grand Slam match since her win at last year's US Open and she has a tough match v Sloane Stephens - match due on at 10am GMT.

He's here!
17-01-2022, 01:59 PM
Disappointing result for Cam Norrie as he loses in straight sets to Sebastian Korda.

Easy win for Nadal.

Surprisingly poor display from Norrie.

Suspect Radacanu will struggle to win her opening match based on recent form. Hopefully she'll prove me wrong, although it's not entirely surprising she's been up and down since her stunning US Open win, which came almost out of nowhere.

I see Coco Gauff has gone out in straight sets in her first round match. Another young woman who may be finding the pressure of becoming an overnight 'name' hard to cope with.

hibeg
17-01-2022, 05:07 PM
Yeah I'm a big fan of Nadal and would love to see him win (if it's not Murray obviously) but I don't see it.

Although Nadal's only won the Australian Open once he does have a decent record there as he's also been into the final on a further four occasions.

I think Medvedev or perhaps Tsitsipas will be the tips for the tournament. They are in the same half of the draw though so they'll probably play each other in the semis.

Medvedev v Zverev final.

Can’t see anybody but Medvedev winning this if he is on form

Sir David Gray
17-01-2022, 06:00 PM
Surprisingly poor display from Norrie.

Suspect Radacanu will struggle to win her opening match based on recent form. Hopefully she'll prove me wrong, although it's not entirely surprising she's been up and down since her stunning US Open win, which came almost out of nowhere.

I see Coco Gauff has gone out in straight sets in her first round match. Another young woman who may be finding the pressure of becoming an overnight 'name' hard to cope with.

Yeah I'm a bit worried about Raducanu if I'm honest. Stephens is an experienced player and a former semi-finalist at the Australian Open although she's not quite the player she was 3 of 4 years ago.

Raducanu really has no form going into the tournament though and has barely won a match since winning the US Open.

Raducanu is the favourite with the bookies and if I was a gambler I would be placing a decent amount on Stephens.

Gauff is one who I really thought could go far. She's still only 17 so may still do it of course.

DaveF
17-01-2022, 06:33 PM
Nadal really needs to take a shaver to that heid of his. Or wear a hat.

18-01-2022, 03:08 AM
Andy Murray match starting now.

EH6 Hibby
18-01-2022, 03:33 AM
Andy Murray match starting now.

Cruising so far.

18-01-2022, 03:36 AM
Cruising so far.

Yup, 1st set Murray 6-1.

EH6 Hibby
18-01-2022, 04:28 AM
Maybe spoke too soon. Looks better in the 3rd again though.

Hiber-nation
18-01-2022, 06:25 AM
Arrgh...got right back into the tie break then blew it. 2 sets all.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 07:03 AM
Unbelievable. I've just woken up and expected this to be over long ago!

Triple match point, Murray!!

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 07:04 AM
He's done it!

Murray wins in five after nearly 4 hours! :thumbsup:

Well done, Andy!

Hiber-nation
18-01-2022, 07:04 AM
Murray wins!

Hopefully the next round is less stressful, doubt it though :greengrin

Pretty Boy
18-01-2022, 07:06 AM
Listening to the Murray match on 5Live whilst walking to work. If anything listening to Murray is even more nerve wracking than watching him.

Some achievement from him. Again.

EH6 Hibby
18-01-2022, 07:09 AM
He never makes it easy does he? Going to bed now thankfully. I’m one happy woman.

Hiber-nation
18-01-2022, 07:09 AM
What's all the booing about? Djokovic fans I assume? Murray's getting it now.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 07:12 AM
Murray now plays qualifier Taro Daniel in round two, probably on Thursday.

He should be looking to win that one.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 07:13 AM
Who are the clowns doing the booing or am I missing some edgy banter that's gone over my head? :confused:

Hiber-nation
18-01-2022, 07:15 AM
Who are the clowns doing the booing or am I missing some edgy banter that's gone over my head? :confused:

As I said earlier I can only assume it's Djokovic fans. The commentary team don't seem to know.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 07:16 AM
As I said earlier I can only assume it's Djokovic fans. The commentary team don't seem to know.

Imbeciles, security should be chucking them out whatever their reason is.

Certainly would not be tolerated at Wimbledon.

Hiber-nation
18-01-2022, 07:19 AM
Imbeciles, security should be chucking them out whatever their reason is.

Certainly would not be tolerated at Wimbledon.

From BBC 5 LIVE:

BBC Sport at Melbourne Park

"Sad to report the cringiest cheer in Premier League football has arrived at Melbourne Park.

Hearing what you think are boos on the 5 Live comms? Nope, pretty sure they are 'Siuuuuus'.

That's the thing Cristiano Ronaldo shouts - with 75,000 Manchester United fans joining in - when he scores."

I have no idea what this is all about and I hope to hell it stops pronto. Murray even had a go at them in his speech.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 07:43 AM
From BBC 5 LIVE:

"Sad to report the cringiest cheer in Premier League football has arrived at Melbourne Park.

Hearing what you think are boos on the 5 Live comms? Nope, pretty sure they are 'Siuuuuus'.

That's the thing Cristiano Ronaldo shouts - with 75,000 Manchester United fans joining in - when he scores."

I have no idea what this is all about and I hope to hell it stops pronto. Murray even had a go at them in his speech.

No words. 🤦

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 08:05 AM
Liam Broady loses the first set 6-4 to Nick Kyrgios.

patch1875
18-01-2022, 08:27 AM
Kyrgios great fun to watch great player when it’s all going right for him.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 08:47 AM
Kyrgios two sets up v Broady - seems to be a match being played in the right spirit.

On the other hand this booing/siuuuuing or whatever it is, is really irritating and needs binned.

JimBHibees
18-01-2022, 08:56 AM
He's done it!

Murray wins in five after nearly 4 hours! :thumbsup:

Well done, Andy!

Legend

JimBHibees
18-01-2022, 08:58 AM
From BBC 5 LIVE:

What is this siuss? They should have been kicked out. Was happening at key moments in 5th set also. Assumed it was serbs

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 09:24 AM
What is this siuss? They should have been kicked out. Was happening at key moments in 5th set also. Assumed it was serbs

It's Ronaldo's celebration when he scores a goal. It apparently means "yes" in Spanish.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 09:25 AM
Kyrgios wins in straight sets, far too good for Broady.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 09:26 AM
Impressive win for Dan Evans earlier, straight sets over David Goffin.

McSwanky
18-01-2022, 10:30 AM
Raducanu just bageled Sloane Stephens in the first set :wtf:

I know Stephens hasn't played for a bit, but is Raducanu the most inconsistent tennis player ever? :greengrin

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 10:31 AM
Raducanu wins the opening set 6-0, I must admit I did not expect that!

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 10:41 AM
Stephens eventually breaks serve at the start of the second set on her fifth break point.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 10:54 AM
Raducanu breaks back - 2-2.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 10:59 AM
Stephens breaks again - 3-2.

hibbysam
18-01-2022, 11:06 AM
Kyrgios two sets up v Broady - seems to be a match being played in the right spirit.

On the other hand this booing/siuuuuing or whatever it is, is really irritating and needs binned.

I know folk don’t like Kyrgios but I love watching him. Unpredictable, an outstanding player on his day and great entertainment.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 11:13 AM
Stephens breaks again - 5-2 second set.

I must admit that this is what I had feared before the match started.

Big third set coming up for Raducanu.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 11:14 AM
I know folk don’t like Kyrgios but I love watching him. Unpredictable, an outstanding player on his day and great entertainment.

He can provide good entertainment and certainly says what he thinks off court. I don't always like him and don't agree with some of his antics but there's never a dull moment with him!

I enjoyed the match today.

Tobias Funke
18-01-2022, 11:23 AM
Raducanu just bageled Sloane Stephens in the first set :wtf:

I know Stephens hasn't played for a bit, but is Raducanu the most inconsistent tennis player ever? :greengrin

Think we can only judge that at end of her career! Shes barely started (despite her incredible win in September!) :greengrin

Stephens breaks again - 5-2 second set.

I must admit that this is what I had feared before the match started.

Big third set coming up for Raducanu.

I was worried how her bout of Covid would affect her, 3 sets against a tough albeit undercooked opponent isn't going to help.

hibbysam
18-01-2022, 11:24 AM
He can provide good entertainment and certainly says what he thinks off court. I don't always like him and don't agree with some of his antics but there's never a dull moment with him!

I enjoyed the match today.

I think every sport needs characters who don’t just go through the same motions. He reminds me a bit of Ronnie O’Sullivan. He obviously hasn’t done as much but has all the ability in the world and is quite refreshing with his opinions. He gets quite close to the line often, but don’t particularly think he goes over it.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 11:30 AM
Raducanu breaks at the start of the third set - 2-0!

hibbysam
18-01-2022, 11:31 AM
Raducanu breaks at the start of the third set - 2-0!

Interesting match. Plenty decent plays, plenty mistakes. Don’t think it’s finished yet.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 11:38 AM
4-0 Raducanu.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 11:46 AM
5-0

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 11:54 AM
Raducanu wins 6-0 2-6 6-1.

Bit of a topsy turvy match to say the least but a great win for Raducanu after a difficult last few months following her US Open title.

hibbysam
18-01-2022, 09:21 PM
Raducanu wins 6-0 2-6 6-1.

Bit of a topsy turvy match to say the least but a great win for Raducanu after a difficult last few months following her US Open title.

Guessing she’ll be a NAP to get into the top 10 based on the fact she has no ranking points to defend the first half of the year?

Sir David Gray
18-01-2022, 10:00 PM
Guessing she’ll be a NAP to get into the top 10 based on the fact she has no ranking points to defend the first half of the year?

Another couple of wins at the Australian Open should easily see her into the top 10.

She only really has serious points to defend from last year at Wimbledon and the US Open.

He's here!
19-01-2022, 07:02 AM
Another straight sets win for Nadal. Not faced any serious opposition yet but he's looking really strong.

Sir David Gray
19-01-2022, 07:22 AM
Another straight sets win for Nadal. Not faced any serious opposition yet but he's looking really strong.

Assuming Murray won't go all the way I really hope Nadal can do it.

Sir David Gray
19-01-2022, 08:41 AM
Bit of a kinder schedule for UK based Andy Murray fans tomorrow - he's due on around 6:30am GMT.

He's here!
19-01-2022, 01:12 PM
Assuming Murray won't go all the way I really hope Nadal can do it.

It would be asking a lot of Nadal after a five-month lay-off but he's got the stuff of champions in him when it comes to handling the pressure, which might just prove key against the younger hopefuls. Same with Andy Murray, you could see yesterday that he just had that extra level of experience when the pressure was on. Nadal's had plenty of injury issues to contend with himself but nothing on the level of Murray's metal hip and like you I hope he has enough in the tank to go all the way. I think getting through the first week would be privately regarded as a successful tournament for Andy (even though in his never-say-die mind he probably still thinks he can win it!).

Sir David Gray
19-01-2022, 11:51 PM
Dan Evans progresses to round three after his opponent, Arthur Rinderknech, withdraws with a wrist injury.

EH6 Hibby
20-01-2022, 06:02 AM
Murray game has started early in case anyone didn’t realise.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2022, 06:04 AM
Murray game has started early in case anyone didn’t realise.

Think it was a wee bit late, it was due to start at 6:30am.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2022, 06:05 AM
Murray broken in a mammoth third game - 2-1 Daniel.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2022, 06:20 AM
Murray breaks back - 3-3. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
20-01-2022, 06:25 AM
Daniel breaks again - 4-3. 🙄

Sir David Gray
20-01-2022, 06:32 AM
Daniel saves two break points - 5-3. 🙄

Sir David Gray
20-01-2022, 06:40 AM
Daniel wins the first set 6-4.

Time to get ready for work.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2022, 07:15 AM
Daniel breaks again in the second set - 3-2 Daniel, second set.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2022, 07:34 AM
Second set Daniel - all over now I think.

Hiber-nation
20-01-2022, 07:41 AM
Nice to see a wee Hibee showing support!

Sir David Gray
20-01-2022, 08:57 AM
Murray beaten in straight sets. Really disappointing result for him, didn't expect that at all.

DaveF
20-01-2022, 09:14 AM
Well, Murray did say he wanted to end matches quickly so he got his wish.

Outplayed throughout, and Daniel was a worthy winner.

He's here!
20-01-2022, 01:31 PM
Murray beaten in straight sets. Really disappointing result for him, didn't expect that at all.

He's refusing to use the first round five-setter as an excuse, although I can't help but think his body can no longer keep up with the way his mind works after such a major operation. Given that only one other player has ever returned to play top level professional tennis after that sort of surgery (one of the Bryant brothers in doubles I think), it would be miraculous if Murray could seriously challenge at the top again. In saying that, he reached the Sydney Classic final just before the Australian Open so maybe he's just run out of steam and had an off day.

Radacanu out as well. Sounds like she was playing backhands only at one point due to a blister affecting her forehand and serve.

Sir David Gray
21-01-2022, 07:27 AM
Great match between Matteo Berrettini and 18 year old Carlos Alcaraz.

More than 4 hours played and Berrettini has just won in a 5th set championship tiebreak.

Sir David Gray
21-01-2022, 11:55 AM
Another great match on now between Rafael Nadal and Karen Khachanov.

Into a fourth set with Nadal 2 sets to 1 up and he's just broken Khachanov to go 2-0 up.

Sir David Gray
21-01-2022, 01:07 PM
Nadal wins in four sets.

Really hope he wins the tournament.

He's here!
21-01-2022, 03:57 PM
Nadal wins in four sets.

Really hope he wins the tournament.

So far so good for him. The leading seeds will be really hoping to capitalise on Djokovic's absence though so next week won't be easy.

Sir David Gray
22-01-2022, 08:03 AM
Dan Evans loses in straight sets to Felix Auger-Aliassime and all seven British singles players, both men and women, are now out by the third round.

Sadly I fear this is what we will be seeing much more of in the near future now that Andy Murray appears to be finished at the very highest level.

He's here!
22-01-2022, 02:28 PM
Dan Evans loses in straight sets to Felix Auger-Aliassime and all seven British singles players, both men and women, are now out by the third round.

Sadly I fear this is what we will be seeing much more of in the near future now that Andy Murray appears to be finished at the very highest level.

Probably, although when you bear in mind that Murray was almost freakish as a modern era British player in terms of what he achieved, the others haven't been doing too badly of late. Norrie is top 12 in the world (winning Indian Wells was a massive result) and Evans just outside the top 20 I think. The doubles players, in particular Jamie Murray, have picked up a number of slam titles in recent years and we have a relatively competitive Davis Cup team even without the Murrays. Plus of course in the women's game Radacanu stunned the tennis world last year.

I agree though that the legacy of Andy Murray doesn't look like being as strong as it probably should have.

Sir David Gray
22-01-2022, 04:28 PM
Probably, although when you bear in mind that Murray was almost freakish as a modern era British player in terms of what he achieved, the others haven't been doing too badly of late. Norrie is top 12 in the world (winning Indian Wells was a massive result) and Evans just outside the top 20 I think. The doubles players, in particular Jamie Murray, have picked up a number of slam titles in recent years and we have a relatively competitive Davis Cup team even without the Murrays. Plus of course in the women's game Radacanu stunned the tennis world last year.

I agree though that the legacy of Andy Murray doesn't look like being as strong as it probably should have.

Yeah Norrie and Evans are doing above average compared with most British men's tennis player over the recent history but I really don't see either of them becoming a Grand Slam champion.

23-01-2022, 04:00 AM
Nadal takes 1st set v Mannarino 16-14 in a tie-break.

hibeg
23-01-2022, 06:07 AM
Nadal takes 1st set v Mannarino 16-14 in a tie-break.

That was some tie break !!
Good victory for Rafa but just can’t see him going much further. He is in a tough half of the draw.
Zverev has just been hammered in straight sets by sShapopalov

I still expect Medvedev to come through in bottom half without too much difficulty

He's here!
23-01-2022, 09:16 AM
That was some tie break !!
Good victory for Rafa but just can’t see him going much further. He is in a tough half of the draw.
Zverev has just been hammered in straight sets by sShapopalov

I still expect Medvedev to come through in bottom half without too much difficulty

Nadal's the highest-ranked player left in his half of the draw after Zverev's surprise exit. With the experience he has I wouldn't write him off although he'll find it tough against the much younger Shapovalov who definitely has the potential to be a major player.

I don't imagine retirement's too far down the road for Nadal given his long history of injuries so I'd love to see him win another Slam before he bows out.

Ash Barty through in the women's singles. I'd to see her win her home Slam.

Jamie Murray knocked out of the men's doubles unfortunately.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2022, 09:44 AM
Nadal's the highest-ranked player left in his half of the draw after Zverev's surprise exit. With the experience he has I wouldn't write him off although he'll find it tough against the much younger Shapovalov who definitely has the potential to be a major player.

I don't imagine retirement's too far down the road for Nadal given his long history of injuries so I'd love to see him win another Slam before he bows out.

Ash Barty through in the women's singles. I'd to see her win her home Slam.

Jamie Murray knocked out of the men's doubles unfortunately.

Nadal won't have it easy against Shapovalov but this is by far Shapovalov's best run at the Australian Open. Nadal will definitely start as the favourite. Berrettini probably lies in wait in the semi finals and he will not be easy either.

If Nadal gets through Shapovalov, Berrettini and then probably Medvedev then it will be some achievement.

hibeg
25-01-2022, 04:30 AM
Rafa currently cruising in qf

hibeg
25-01-2022, 05:27 AM
Rafa loses 3D set and now looks like a beaten man.

hibeg
25-01-2022, 05:49 AM
Final set upcoming. Can’t see Rafa winning now

He's here!
25-01-2022, 06:52 AM
Fantastic win for Nadal. Looks like he might have sustained an injury during the match but he dug deep to come through.

Shapovalov smashung his racket at the end. Hugely frustrating for him but it's never good to see.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2022, 06:52 AM
Sounds like a bit of a classic between Nadal and Shapovalov, with Nadal winning it in five sets to reach the semi finals.

He'll now play either Gael Monfils or Matteo Berrettini. I can't see past Berrettini for this one, I actually thought Monfils had retired years ago he seems to have been around forever.

hibeg
25-01-2022, 07:02 AM
Sounds like a bit of a classic between Nadal and Shapovalov, with Nadal winning it in five sets to reach the semi finals.

He'll now play either Gael Monfils or Matteo Berrettini. I can't see past Berrettini for this one, I actually thought Monfils had retired years ago he seems to have been around forever.

Shapovalov basically bottled it in set 5. Unforced errors galore.
Great for Rafa but will his body hold up ?

Sir David Gray
25-01-2022, 10:10 AM
Incredible fourth game of the second set between Monfils and Berrettini - almost 20 minutes and 10 deuces. Finally won by Berrettini just to hold serve.

Some sets don't even last that long!

Sir David Gray
25-01-2022, 11:16 AM
Monfils fighting back by winning the third set.

Berrettini leads two sets to one.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2022, 12:11 PM
Going the distance between Monfils and Berrettini.

Brilliant match.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2022, 12:27 PM
Berrettini steps it up again and the match now appears to be over as Berrettini secures a double break to go 3-0 up in the final set.

He's here!
25-01-2022, 02:20 PM
Shapovalov basically bottled it in set 5. Unforced errors galore.
Great for Rafa but will his body hold up ?

Shapovalov had a bit of a rant during the match and in his press conference about Nadal allegedly getting preferential treatment from umpires. Nadal does take his time but I suspect this is more sour grapes than anything else.

JimBHibees
25-01-2022, 02:40 PM
Shapovalov had a bit of a rant during the match and in his press conference about Nadal allegedly getting preferential treatment from umpires. Nadal does take his time but I suspect this is more sour grapes than anything else.

A bit like Djokovic Nadal is good at the tactical injuries

Sir David Gray
26-01-2022, 06:52 AM
Stefanos Tsitsipas beats Jannik Sinner in straight sets to reach the semi finals and will now play Daniil Medvedev or Felix Auger-Aliassime.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2022, 07:28 AM
Sadly it probably won't get much airtime but a huge well done to British pair Alfie Hewett and Gordon Reid who have just won their 9th consecutive wheelchair men's doubles Grand Slam title earlier this morning.

They have won every men's Wheelchair doubles Grand Slam since the 2019 US Open.

Outstanding achievement.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2022, 10:22 AM
Medvedev in trouble two sets down to Auger-Aliassime.

Into a third set tiebreak.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2022, 12:11 PM
Medvedev has turned things around and is now a break up in the final set.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2022, 12:35 PM
Medvedev comes back to win in five sets and will now play Stefanos Tsitsipas in the semi finals.

Another match that lasts nearly five hours, there's going to be some tired legs in the semi finals as three out of the four quarter finals went to five sets.

Nadal v Berrettini
Tsitsipas v Medvedev

Both on Friday.

He's here!
26-01-2022, 01:19 PM
Medvedev comes back to win in five sets and will now play Stefanos Tsitsipas in the semi finals.

Another match that lasts nearly five hours, there's going to be some tired legs in the semi finals as three out of the four quarter finals went to five sets.

Nadal v Berrettini
Tsitsipas v Medvedev

Both on Friday.

Tstisipas will be hoping to capitalise on his fresher legs against Medvedev.

Really rooting for Nadal to win this tournament.

He's here!
26-01-2022, 01:22 PM
Sadly it probably won't get much airtime but a huge well done to British pair Alfie Hewett and Gordon Reid who have just won their 9th consecutive wheelchair men's doubles Grand Slam title earlier this morning.

They have won every men's Wheelchair doubles Grand Slam since the 2019 US Open.

Outstanding achievement.

Great stuff.

I notice that Reid had a wee dig at Celtic when talking about making it ten in a row. He's a big Rangers fan.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2022, 05:26 PM
Great stuff.

I notice that Reid had a wee dig at Celtic when talking about making it ten in a row. He's a big Rangers fan.

I didn't hear about the dig but I knew he was a Rangers fan. I've been in his company a couple of times a few years ago, he's a decent guy despite his misguided allegiances.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2022, 05:31 PM
Tstisipas will be hoping to capitalise on his fresher legs against Medvedev.

Really rooting for Nadal to win this tournament.

I hope Nadal does it too. Only him and Medvedev are Grand Slam champions although Berrettini and Tsitsipas have reached a Grand Slam final before so it will be interesting to see how this plays out on Friday.

I have a feeling it will be a Medvedev v Berrettini final.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2022, 06:51 AM
Rafael Nadal rolled back the years by beating Matteo Berrettini in four sets and will now play either Stefanos Tsitsipas or Daniil Medvedev in Sunday's final as he tries to win the Australian Open for the first time in 13 years.

DaveF
28-01-2022, 11:52 AM
Love watching Medvedev.Hes a bit crazy and totally lost the plot during the win today but what a player he is. I hope he wins it.

He's here!
28-01-2022, 11:58 AM
Rafael Nadal rolled back the years by beating Matteo Berrettini in four sets and will now play either Stefanos Tsitsipas or Daniil Medvedev in Sunday's final as he tries to win the Australian Open for the first time in 13 years.

Fantastic from Nadal. Played superbly by all accounts. If he can maintain that form he's got a real chance of becoming the GOAT.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2022, 12:34 PM
So it's Nadal v Medvedev in Sunday's final after Medvedev saw off Tsitsipas in 4 sets. Doesn't look like there's any love lost between the pair of them as they barely shook hands at the end. Medvedev lost the plot a little during the match as he screamed at the umpire about Tsitsipas being coached by his team in the stands.

It wasn't his finest hour although he did apologise to the umpire afterwards which I think is appropriate.

Hopefully Nadal can do it on Sunday and win his 21st Grand Slam. It's absolutely extraordinary that he's still making Grand Slam finals after all this time.

What an athlete.

hibeg
28-01-2022, 07:02 PM
Love watching Medvedev.Hes a bit crazy and totally lost the plot during the win today but what a player he is. I hope he wins it.

I think he will win, he is playing some incredible tennis.
Rafa has done brilliantly to get this far but can’t see him beating Medvedev

Sir David Gray
29-01-2022, 07:51 AM
I think he will win, he is playing some incredible tennis.
Rafa has done brilliantly to get this far but can’t see him beating Medvedev

Neither can I sadly.

He's here!
29-01-2022, 09:29 AM
Great comeback from 5-1 down in the second set by Barty to win the women's singles final. I really enjoyed her Wimbledon win and it's good to see an Aussie win their home slam.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2022, 10:30 AM
Great comeback from 5-1 down in the second set by Barty to win the women's singles final. I really enjoyed her Wimbledon win and it's good to see an Aussie win their home slam.

First Australian Women's singles champion at the Australian Open for 43 years which is some statistic.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 07:47 AM
Vamos Rafa. 🇪🇸

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 08:17 AM
First blood to Medvedev as he breaks to go 3-2 up.

Gruelling match so far.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 08:26 AM
Medvedev breaks again - 5-2.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 08:30 AM
Medvedev wins the first set 6-2.

Only one winner by the looks of things.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 08:53 AM
Nadal breaks in the second set after an incredible 40 shot rally to set up break point!

3-1 Nadal second set.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 09:04 AM
Medvedev breaks back - he's serving at 3-4.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 09:10 AM
Nadal breaks again and is serving for the second set at 5-3.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 09:26 AM
Mammoth game won by Medvedev as he breaks back again and is serving at 4-5.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 09:54 AM
Medvedev wins the second set 7-6.

All over now I think.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 10:53 AM
Nadal breaks to go 5-4 up in the third set.

Must serve this out.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 10:58 AM
Game on!

Nadal takes the third set 6-4.

He couldn't, could he?

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 11:21 AM
Nadal breaks in the fourth set - 2-1 up!

Medvedev seems unhappy with the crowd being against him.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 11:25 AM
Medvedev breaks straight back - 2-2.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 11:36 AM
No-one else watching this? Incredible match.

Nadal breaks again to go 3-2 up.

patch1875
30-01-2022, 11:53 AM
Nadal on fire

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 11:56 AM
Nadal serving for the fourth set.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 12:00 PM
Absolutely outstanding from Nadal - he wins the fourth set 6-4 and we're into a final set.

Said it before but you really cannot beat men's Grand Slam tennis for entertainment. It's unrivalled in sport in my opinion.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 12:27 PM
Wow Nadal breaks to go 3-2 up!

What an incredible match this is.

Itsnoteasy
30-01-2022, 12:43 PM
Great watch.
And these poor fitbaw players have to play 2 games a week.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 12:46 PM
Great watch.
And these poor fitbaw players have to play 2 games a week.

If I hear any players through the week saying that they're tired I think I'll scream!

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 01:02 PM
Medvedev breaks back and it's 5-5!

Itsnoteasy
30-01-2022, 01:03 PM
Ffs 5-5

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 01:07 PM
Nadal breaks again - 6-5.

oneone73
30-01-2022, 01:09 PM
It's wonderful stuff

Itsnoteasy
30-01-2022, 01:09 PM
I wish it would hurry up & finish. I've got a job to price at 2.30

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 01:11 PM
What an outstanding match!

Nadal wins 2-6 6-7 6-4 6-4 7-5 after more than 5 hours of fantastic entertainment.

Nadal wins his second Australian Open title and a record breaking 21st Grand Slam title in a wonderful career.

What a phenomenal athlete.

30-01-2022, 01:11 PM
GIRFUY Djokovic

Itsnoteasy
30-01-2022, 01:12 PM
Game, set & the match

NADAL

oneone73
30-01-2022, 01:17 PM
Unbelievable

DaveF
30-01-2022, 01:25 PM
Incredible from Nadal.

This woman can blab on a bit though...

Sir David Gray
30-01-2022, 01:29 PM
Incredible from Nadal.

This woman can blab on a bit though...

Medvedev thought so too!

He's here!
30-01-2022, 01:29 PM
Words fail me. One of the greatest sporting achievements ever IMHO. Even with the crowd on his side it was always going to take something phenomenal to topple Federer's record and for Nadal to do that at his age and having looked like he might have to retire last year is phenomenal.

Wonderful stuff.

He's here!
30-01-2022, 01:32 PM
GIRFUY Djokovic

Yep a very pleasing bonus!

I'd love to see Nadal follow up and win the French now.

hibeg
30-01-2022, 05:19 PM
Didn’t see that coming at all. Incredible achievement by Rafa Nadal.

OldEast
31-01-2022, 04:08 AM
If I hear any players through the week saying that they're tired I think I'll scream!

5 hours on your own with no team-mates to hide behind is supreme fitness. Great athletes, unlike our increasingly fragile footballers?

He's here!
31-01-2022, 06:58 AM
5 hours on your own with no team-mates to hide behind is supreme fitness. Great athletes, unlike our increasingly fragile footballers?

The all-round skills and fitness required to play top level tennis are often overlooked. Phenomenally demanding sport. I prefer watching it to football these days.

Sir David Gray
31-01-2022, 12:23 PM
The all-round skills and fitness required to play top level tennis are often overlooked. Phenomenally demanding sport. I prefer watching it to football these days.

So do I to be honest, with the exception of Hibs games.

If yesterday's final had clashed with pretty much any football match the final would have won hands down for me.