PDA

View Full Version : Question for the (not too) auld yins

SonOfDavidFrancey
09-01-2022, 05:32 PM
Watching the Albert Kidd / Jambo tears match in 86...

Is there any particular reason why Dundee seem so happy to be taking the points? They weren't in danger of going down or anything I don't think? I know AK was a Celtic fan... but the whole team seems really jubilant. was there any beef between Dundee and Hearts that made Dundee seem to enjoy it (almost) as much as us?

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-01-2022, 05:36 PM
Didn't Dundee qualify for Europe with the points? Hilarious Saturday night followed 🤣🤣🤣

CentreLine
09-01-2022, 05:38 PM

Is there any particular reason why Dundee seem so happy to be taking the points? They weren't in danger of going down or anything I don't think? I know AK was a Celtic fan... but the whole team seems really jubilant. was there any beef between Dundee and Hearts that made Dundee seem to enjoy it (almost) as much as us?

I suspect they were sick of hearing how hahahahahearts were just going to have to turn up to complete their procession to a league title.

Stevie Reid
09-01-2022, 05:47 PM
League table shows that even though they finished 6th, they were on the same points as Rangers (35) in 5th - Rangers qualified for Europe due to being one goal better off, so that would be a factor.

Also, you just don’t want any team winning the league at your ground (unless it’s a unique situation like us in 2005 :greengrin)

WoreTheGreen
09-01-2022, 06:05 PM
Yeah does Darren M not a Look a like of Engelbert Humperdinck

Bostonhibby
09-01-2022, 06:21 PM
Think it was to do with the fact that in the weeks leading up to the famous Dundee win maroon balloons had been swanning about in league winners tee shirts and generally had convinced themselves they only had to turn up to win - not Craig Levein obviously.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Just Alf
09-01-2022, 07:54 PM
Think it was to do with the fact that in the weeks leading up to the famous Dundee win maroon balloons had been swanning about in league winners tee shirts and generally had convinced themselves they only had to turn up to win - not Craig Levein obviously.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using TapatalkThey were even wearing them at the game, one of my marron balloon mates was so distraught he ripped his off at the game and came all the way home 'topliss'... he also trashed his flat on getting back to Gorgie :-/

Is It On....
09-01-2022, 07:55 PM

Not Levein 😂

gbhibby
09-01-2022, 08:06 PM

They probably had a bet on at the bookies for Celtic to win the league
We hate jam tarts
But we love Dundee.
Hearts forever blowing doubles.

09-01-2022, 08:52 PM

Maybe they were right, they only had to turn up to win. Unfortunately for them the jobby trousered Levein didn't turn up and that's what cost them, hence Medals Mackay's beef with the faecally challenged one.

Bostonhibby
09-01-2022, 09:03 PM
Maybe they were right, they only had to turn up to win. Unfortunately for them the jobby trousered Levein didn't turn up and that's what cost them, hence Medals Mackay's beef with the faecally challenged one.Yep, nowhere to be seen when the smelly stuff hit the fan.

NAE NOOKIE
09-01-2022, 10:11 PM
Yeh, I've always wondered about that as well, never mind the players on the park their fans went absolutely tonto as well when the goals went in.

Perhaps these polls you see on social media asking 'which club outside of Celtic and Sevco do you hate the most' that always have Hearts top are actually reflective of just how disliked they really are :greengrin

majorhibs
09-01-2022, 10:25 PM
There’s probs never been seen a more obnoxious insufferable lot than what decent folk had to endure in the first few months of ‘86, & everybody was resigned to having to endure much more. Much more that would not have been fun. 80 odd minutes & still we were resigned! Then- Then- Sir Albert!

Stevie Reid
09-01-2022, 10:28 PM
I was 8 at the time, and although I’d been to ER a few times by then, it was the following season when I really started to properly pay attention for the first time.

I just remember visiting my Great Gran in Coatbridge and my Dad jumping around the living room as the Dundee goals went in :greengrin

heretoday
09-01-2022, 10:43 PM
Big crowd, big atmosphere. Bound to get the home team wound up I'd say.
Unfortunately, we have been in the position a few times of hosting the clinching of the championship title by teams other than ourselves.
At Dens, thankfully, it didn't happen.

He's here!
09-01-2022, 11:08 PM
As others have said my memory is that Dundee thought they'd qualified for Europe by winning, but I imagine there was also just an element of get it up ye to the yams. It's not what you want, to see another team win the title at your ground.

I did wonder if with age I'd come to find the footage less hilarious and have a more mature, even sympathetic view but nope...still as funny as I remember it!

I actually switched off the radio in my bedroom at 0-0 as I couldn't stomach the thought of hearing them win the league and was about to head out the front door when my dad shouted me in to watch the pictures from Paisley on Grandstand. At first I couldn't quite work out the green and white celebrations (Celtic were all in green that day and I momentarily thought the pics were from ER) but then it was just a whole explosion of ecstasy/relief/ disbelief.

10-01-2022, 12:42 AM
Well done to Hearts though for giving it a good go.

King Cosell
10-01-2022, 01:39 AM
Auld yins? I'm still in my prime, you cheeky tyke! Rangers beat Motherwell 2-0 and finished with a -5 goal difference, Dundee -6.

Forza Fred
10-01-2022, 01:43 AM
They were hoping for European qualification.

Billy McKirdy
10-01-2022, 02:14 AM
Was I the first one to ‘Knight’ Sir Albert Kidd?
I did upload this video 14 years ago after all 😆

https://youtu.be/3uA1UEowQaA

HoboHarry
10-01-2022, 03:02 AM
Auld yins? I'm still in my prime, you cheeky tyke! Rangers beat Motherwell 2-0 and finished with a -5 goal difference, Dundee -6.

FFS you're only 52. Probably still breast feeding.......😁

Forza Fred
10-01-2022, 03:24 AM
Was I the first one to ‘Knight’ Sir Albert Kidd?
I did upload this video 14 years ago after all 😆

https://youtu.be/3uA1UEowQaA

I presented him with the Oz Branch Player of the Year trophy 1985/86 20 years later at a function at Melbourne’s Moonee Valley racecourse.😂😂😂

Scorrie
10-01-2022, 06:14 AM
That was a great week as the Yams also lost the cup final just after losing league at Dens. Their shirt sponsor was Mita…(“Mita won the league, Mita won the cup”!)

Crunchie
10-01-2022, 06:58 AM
That was a great week as the Yams also lost the cup final just after losing league at Dens. Their shirt sponsor was Mita…(“Mita won the league, Mita won the cup”!)
Good one :faf:

Aberdeen were a snip at 5/4 that day.

Killiehibbie
10-01-2022, 07:47 AM
Good one :faf:

Aberdeen were a snip at 5/4 that day.

My mate justified putting all his money on Aberdeen by saying it would be like a cycle race with one bike having no wheels, they came off the week before.

Crunchie
10-01-2022, 08:12 AM
My mate justified putting all his money on Aberdeen by saying it would be like a cycle race with one bike having no wheels, they came off the week before.
:faf: And it only took 5 minutes :aok:

Logie Green
10-01-2022, 08:14 AM
Like other posters have said the celebrations of the Dundee players and fans were possibly due to the fact that hertz thought they just had to turn up to win the league.

Their supporters had become even more insufferable as the season went on, you’d get a weekly update about their unstoppable march to glory.

The day itself was glorious. When the transistor radio related news was heard at Easter Road that day it was as if we’d won the league. Until then it had been quite subdued, we knew Celtic had done all they had to do, thankfully Albert did what he had to do.

So, despite basically only needing to avoid losing a goal, having a hertz supporting referee officiating their match and taking a big support thankfully they ‘hertzed it’ on the final day, again.

After the game at ER the Dundee United fans were also very jubilant, not because their team had won, but because a fair number of them lived and worked in Edinburgh and had had to listen to the maroon balloons on a weekly basis too.

I didn’t watch the cup final the following week as it was a foregone conclusion, their bottle had completely crashed.

Pleasing, as they say on Kickback.

Crunchie
10-01-2022, 08:16 AM
Like other posters have said the celebrations of the Dundee players and fans were possibly due to the fact that hertz thought they just had to turn up to win the league.

Their supporters had become even more insufferable as the season went on, you’d get a weekly update about their unstoppable march to glory.

The day itself was glorious. When the transistor radio related news was heard at Easter Road that day it was as if we’d won the league. Until then it had been quite subdued, we knew Celtic had done all they had to do, thankfully Albert did what he had to do.

So, despite basically only needing to avoid losing a goal, having a hertz supporting referee officiating their match and taking a big support thankfully they ‘hertzed it’ on the final day, again.

After the game at ER the Dundee United fans were also very jubilant, not because their team had won, but because a fair number of them lived and worked in Edinburgh and had had to listen to the maroon balloons on a weekly basis too.

I didn’t watch the cup final the following week as it was a foregone conclusion, their bottle had completely crashed.

And to make it sweeter the Hearts supporting official denied them a stonewall penalty :greengrin

bordergreen
10-01-2022, 09:13 AM

When the news came over transistor radios, both the Hibs fans and Dundee Utd fans went mental at Easter Road. I remember the players on the pitch pausing momentarily, as the did not know what was happening. Hearts were meant to have a parade from the Caledonian Hotel. A few of us went up to have a laugh at the Jambo's who had turned up outside anyway.

PatHead
10-01-2022, 09:50 AM
I wonder if the younger supporters really appreciate what life was like pre-internet when you relied on a person nearby updating everyone with the score. It wasn't like nowadays when umpteen folk around you are getting updates on their phone continually so word took that wee bit longer to get around.
The person with the pocket radio usually had an earpiece in one ear and would announce the updates. Chinese whispers then occurred around the vacinity and I can guarantee that quite a few folk initially thought it was Walter Kidd that had scored for Hearts.

Just a shame for them it wasn't......

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-01-2022, 09:58 AM
Also remarkable till this day they blame St Mirren for allegedly lying down to Celtic to let them win the league, guys, if your reading this, all you had to do was get one point,but then again with you balloons it's always someone else's fault 🥱

Alex Trager
10-01-2022, 10:41 AM
They were even wearing them at the game, one of my marron balloon mates was so distraught he ripped his off at the game and came all the way home 'topliss'... he also trashed his flat on getting back to Gorgie :-/

Trashed his flat hahahaha clown

brog
10-01-2022, 10:56 AM
Also remarkable till this day they blame St Mirren for allegedly lying down to Celtic to let them win the league, guys, if your reading this, all you had to do was get one point,but then again with you balloons it's always someone else's fault 🥱

Exactly, ludicrous. They do like a last day 2 0 defeat though. 21 years earlier it was Killie at Tiny when a 2 1 defeat would have seen Hawrts win league on goal average. IIRC they would have won league on goal difference in 1965 and on goal average in 1986! 😂

H18S NX
10-01-2022, 11:06 AM
Exactly, ludicrous. They do like a last day 2 0 defeat though. 21 years earlier it was Killie at Tiny when a 2 1 defeat would have seen Hawrts win league on goal average. IIRC they would have won league on goal difference in 1965 and on goal average in 1986! 😂 I was at that game with my mate for a laugh as we were in gorgie at that time,Great day out.

Killiehibbie
10-01-2022, 11:08 AM
Exactly, ludicrous. They do like a last day 2 0 defeat though. 21 years earlier it was Killie at Tiny when a 2 1 defeat would have seen Hawrts win league on goal average. IIRC they would have won league on goal difference in 1965 and on goal average in 1986! 😂

I believe they own that unique record

PatHead
10-01-2022, 11:09 AM

And they have the cheek to invent words to describe us as bottlers.

Radium
10-01-2022, 11:14 AM

… also the Chunky Chicken Champions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brog
10-01-2022, 11:16 AM
I was at that game with my mate for a laugh as we were in gorgie at that time,Great day out.

I was just in front of King Pat at McLeod St end. We all thought Alan Gordon had scored in last minute. Of course the 1964/65 season was another reason to sing, 'we love Dundee'. A few weeks earlier The Dee won 7 1 at Tiny, 6 1 or 7 2 would have seen Hawrts win the league! That's some achievement! I think Killie won league by lowest ever goal average difference!!

BILLYHIBS
10-01-2022, 11:27 AM
Anyone auld enuff to remember Hawrts winning the wee cup ?

( Serious question)

greenginger
10-01-2022, 11:33 AM
I was just in front of King Pat at McLeod St end. We all thought Alan Gordon had scored in last minute. Of course the 1964/65 season was another reason to sing, 'we love Dundee'. A few weeks earlier The Dee won 7 1 at Tiny, 6 1 or 7 2 would have seen Hawrts win the league! That's some achievement! I think Killie won league by lowest ever goal average difference!!

I was there too with some Jambo mates but at the Gorgie Road end level with the 18 yard line. Saw the Alan Gordon chance, but can’t remember if he headed into side net or the keeper saved it.
Also saw the last 15 mins of the 1-7 game, just walked in off the street after being at Scotland v Ireland rugby at Murrayfield.

King Cosell
10-01-2022, 11:38 AM

( Serious question)

Angela Lansbury

brog
10-01-2022, 11:45 AM
I was there too with some Jambo mates but at the Gorgie Road end level with the 18 yard line. Saw the Alan Gordon chance, but can’t remember if he headed into side net or the keeper saved it.
Also saw the last 15 mins of the 1-7 game, just walked in off the street after being at Scotland v Ireland rugby at Murrayfield.

My memory of the Alan Gordon chance was he swivelled on 6 yard box and hit it just past the post. I think it rippled the side net so many people thought it was in. I was also at Scotland Ireland game as there was a bus strike and we couldn't get through to Greenock. I spent an enjoyable 20 minutes walking back to Haymarket asking maroon clad fans what the score was!

Keith_M
10-01-2022, 11:58 AM
You've all forgot the biggest factor in Hearts not winning the League was that St Mirren 'lay down' to Celtc.

The fact that Hearts 'lay down' to Dundee is neither here nor there.

HoboHarry
10-01-2022, 12:03 PM

( Serious question)
George Foulkes but then again the win might have been made up nonsense by daft old George himself......

matty_f
10-01-2022, 12:07 PM
Wasn’t all bad news for plucky Hearts that year, though. Here they are getting their hands on some silverware. Or silver wear, as it was only their shi*ey, shiny strips they got near.

https://youtu.be/2pGkVGGMFEs

Killiehibbie
10-01-2022, 12:08 PM
You've all forgot the biggest factor in Hearts not winning the League was that St Mirren 'lay down' to Celtc.

The fact that we took a point off them was the one that done it.

Bostonhibby
10-01-2022, 12:14 PM
So did they win it in the end then? Or is this another one of those just beat St Mirren then end the league and relegate St Mirren moments?

SonOfDavidFrancey
10-01-2022, 12:54 PM

If you’re only 52 you are in your prime.

Hibs07p
10-01-2022, 01:04 PM
There was a rumour pampers nappies wanted to sponsor them cos they were ***** at the back and piss up front.

St mirren also beat them 6-2 in the 2nd league game that season. They didn't lie down that day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985%E2%80%9386_Heart_of_Midlothian_F.C._season

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

JeMeSouviens
10-01-2022, 01:41 PM

Celtc finished +3 better on goal difference and with more goals scored. A 2-0 win would've been enough for them as it turned out.

10-01-2022, 11:09 PM
Wasn’t all bad news for plucky Hearts that year, though. Here they are getting their hands on some silverware. Or silver wear, as it was only their shi*ey, shiny strips they got near.

https://youtu.be/2pGkVGGMFEs

Shocking defending by Levein at the 1st. Picture quality is poor but it looks like it's Levein who loses his man who scores the 2nd. He'd have served them better by staying in the bogs.

gbhibby
11-01-2022, 08:45 AM

( Serious question)
I was only one year old. Anne Budge was probably there resplendent in her maroon trouser suit. 60th Anniversary this year wonder if they might receive some cards?