PDA

View Full Version : New Signings

dastardly8
07-01-2022, 10:23 PM
What’s the thoughts on the new signings , looks like Maloney wants more youthful energy on the park , we have been guilty of slow build up recently

Hulk1875
07-01-2022, 10:27 PM
Very exciting signings look forward to second half
Of season but not expecting wonders, even more so next season when maloney been here 6 months and next season is his time, only
Thing is we might have players like Porto Boyle
Nisbet that will
Be away by next season

Cat Stanton
07-01-2022, 11:06 PM
Is this thread an executive summary of the (currently) 103 pages of gibberish on the transfer thread?

If so, great shout..!

Jim44
07-01-2022, 11:52 PM
As someone who was fairly fixed in the JR camp, I’ve got to admit that the recent changes and new signings offer an exciting aspect to the second half of the season. We’ve got to remember not to overreact if things don’t go too smoothly and allow SM to get a real hold on the steering wheel to set us up for a real challenge next season. That said, I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get a top four finish. :hibees

Unseen work
08-01-2022, 12:12 AM
Very exciting.

I find it a bit funny how people seem to have forgotten about Tait and mueller before they’ve even kicked a ball for us. Both were very exciting signings in the summer.

The 3 this window add to the excitement.

What I will say is there’s a huge unknown factor with the vast majority of them though, with the exception of Clarke who we’ve seen this season play consistently well in our league.

Other than Mueller, the rest are based on potential and whilst they might be brilliant they could also be terrible - a risk with most signings however

Guys like Nathan Wood, Darnell Johnson etc show sometimes the step up is difficult.

So an exciting and good start to the window but I want a couple more in that are a bit more established and certain to be first picks for us. Mid 20’s sort of age where you sit up and go what a signing.

I get the board, management and social media are pushing this young, exciting and good football stuff at the moment but I hope they realise football in Scotland is different and you need to have other tools to be successful.

In saying that we could get rid of 5 players tomorrow that have offered nothing whatsoever this season in Mitchell, Dabrowski, Mackie, Wright, Hallberg, Scott and Gullan that’s already left.

Hopefully our squad is a lot more balanced and competitive after this.

Diclonius
08-01-2022, 12:24 AM
Is this thread an executive summary of the (currently) 103 pages of gibberish on the transfer thread?

If so, great shout..!

Yes, the first post.

duffers
08-01-2022, 04:25 AM
Very exciting.

I find it a bit funny how people seem to have forgotten about Tait and mueller before they’ve even kicked a ball for us. Both were very exciting signings in the summer.

What I will say is there’s a huge unknown factor with the vast majority of them though, with the exception of Clarke who we’ve seen this season play consistently well in our league.

Other than Mueller, the rest are based on potential and whilst they might be brilliant they could also be terrible - a risk with most signings however

Guys like Nathan Wood, Darnell Johnson etc show sometimes the step up is difficult.

So an exciting and good start to the window but I want a couple more in that are a bit more established and certain to be first picks for us. Mid 20’s sort of age where you sit up and go what a signing.

I get the board, management and social media are pushing this young, exciting and good football stuff at the moment but I hope they realise football in Scotland is different and you need to have other tools to be successful.

In saying that we could get rid of 5 players tomorrow that have offered nothing whatsoever this season in Mitchell, Dabrowski, Mackie, Wright, Hallberg, Scott and Gullan that’s already left.

I agree with most of your post, and agree that there is always going to be an element of risk involved, but hopefully the difference is that Darnell Johnson and Nathan wood were panic short term loans, where these signings appear to be first option, long term investments (apart from Clarke who is on loan).

Dmas
08-01-2022, 04:55 AM
Very exciting.

Good post, however I don’t see where other ‘experienced’ type players fit in without limiting the playing time of guys we’ve just brought in.
I get the worry of going with young players, we’ve seen it before with Mowbray the issues that it throws up but we need the guys we’re signing to play games to improve and gain the experience for themselves, guys like Newell,Hanlon,Cadden,Magennis,Boyle and even Porto to an extent, have played a lot of football and I’d think the majority of them (when fit) would be in the Match day squads at the very least, throw in other guys in the squad like Daz, Lewis,Doidge I don’t think we’re lacking experienced squad members at all.

I share the excitement completely though first to admit I know very little about any of the 5 new guys, I really believe Ron Gordon is trying to get us to the next level the investment in the squad just by getting important players on new contracts and then the quick moves this window shows we’re really meaning buisness, I was really impressed with Maloneys first couple of games and although some tough fixtures are coming now I think more time with the squad at HTC we can look forward to an exciting end to the season

Onion
08-01-2022, 06:28 AM
Very exciting window which brings new hope for the 2nd half of the season. Just really hope we can hold onto Boyle.

theonlywayisup
08-01-2022, 06:33 AM
Yes, the first post.

:thumbsup: yes, you do a great job keeping the summary up to date, but then the thread usually goes south with multiple random discussions nothing to do with transfers and transfer rumours. Typically, slating past or existing Hibs players.

If we can keep this thread to only discussing the merits of the new signings, I will be very happy (and very surprised).

theonlywayisup
08-01-2022, 06:38 AM
Very exciting window which brings new hope for the 2nd half of the season. Just really hope we can hold onto Boyle.

I agree, but I feel we are in a better position now if he leaves. If we can get £3m for him, that'll be great for us and great for Boyle himself. He deserves a big paycheque as he's been a great player for Hibs. Every player reaches the point when their career starts to plateau and and then dips. Boyle, IMO, has been progressing every year, but it's impossible to say whether he's reached the plateau or there is another level for him to reach.

Since452
08-01-2022, 08:26 AM
I think we had good players anyway that had lost their mojo a little bit. The five new guys will freshen it up a bit. Can see us having a very good end to the season.

worcesterhibby
08-01-2022, 08:33 AM
Very exciting.

i would disagree about trying to sign someone more established. We have a ceiling to what we can pay as a transfer fee and what we can pay in wages. 500k and 4K a week on a young emerging player means that we have the chance of signing someone who could be genuinely amazing. Hoff could turn out to be the new Henrik Larssen, score 35 goals next season and get bought by Everton for 12 million quid. Pay the same money for an establish 25 year old and you will be picking up decent pros who fancy a change from a bottom half of the championship club in England. As Hibs fans we live on hope and dreams..investing in young emerging players gives me the hope that we might sign another SJM.

B.H.F.C
08-01-2022, 10:13 AM
Can’t wait to see us back playing.

Not so long ago I was really fed up. Everything was the same good, bad or indifferent. You knew what the games would be like, you knew what the team would be. It was just all predictable. I think we’ll lose a few and end up with a fairly similar squad in terms of size but it will have more in it who are capable of playing (or get the chance to play) which will give us more options.

Best signing of the lot will be the one who’s coaching them all IMO and that’s the one that gives me most hope.

Jim44
08-01-2022, 10:55 AM
Can’t wait to see us back playing.

Not so long ago I was really fed up. Everything was the same good, bad or indifferent. You knew what the games would be like, you knew what the team would be. It was just all predictable. I think we’ll lose a few and end up with a fairly similar squad in terms of size but it will have more in it who are capable of playing (or get the chance to play) which will give us more options.

Best signing of the lot will be the one who’s coaching them all IMO and that’s the one that gives me most hope.

:agree: Quite a few folk are questioning where certain players are going to fit in. With respect, that’s a kind of small club attitude, where the team is one dimensional. What’s wrong with having strong players vying for places? It gives the manager the ‘pick and mix’ option and as long as players are aware of and buy into that premise, I think it’s a healthy position to be in. We’ll probably lose a few but I’m glad we seem to have veered away from a ‘one in, one out’ approach.

Laced1875
08-01-2022, 11:36 AM
Strange that none of the 3 (new) boys will play in the starting 11. Seem to have been all signed for cover / potential.

JimBHibees
08-01-2022, 11:40 AM
Strange that none of the 3 (new) boys will play in the starting 11. Seem to have been all signed for cover / potential.

When did we announce our next starting 11?

Since452
08-01-2022, 11:51 AM

Clarke will likely start as Arsenal would have kept him at Ross County otherwise. We've paid a lot of money for Melkersen not to be featuring regularly.

Hibby Kay-Yay
08-01-2022, 12:25 PM
What’s the thoughts on the new signings , looks like Maloney wants more youthful energy on the park , we have been guilty of slow build up recently

None of these signings are Maloney’s or people he identified. In their interviews they have all stated that initial contact was made pre-Maloney.

Ultimately him being here has influenced their decision to join (Henderson confirmed this) so I think it may be later in the window or the next one before we see any Maloney specific signings. That’s if he’s doing that aspect of the role.

Stevie Reid
08-01-2022, 12:45 PM
Very exciting.

Dabrowksi and Mitchell are our second and third choice goalkeepers. If they were to go, they’d need replaced.

Callum_62
08-01-2022, 12:49 PM
Strange that none of the 3 (new) boys will play in the starting 11. Seem to have been all signed for cover / potential.What makes you think that?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Callum_62
08-01-2022, 12:53 PM
None of these signings are Maloney’s or people he identified. In their interviews they have all stated that initial contact was made pre-Maloney.

Ultimately him being here has influenced their decision to join (Henderson confirmed this) so I think it may be later in the window or the next one before we see any Maloney specific signings. That’s if he’s doing that aspect of the role.I think for the most part that's how our recruitment works

CapitalGreen
08-01-2022, 12:55 PM

Had Clarke and Henderson been at the club when we last played v Dundee Utd, both would have likely been in the starting XI.

Unseen work
08-01-2022, 01:20 PM
Think alot are underrating Tait and not really mentioning his name about starting.

He’s a really good young player that has a bit of everything about him. Gets stuck in more than most will imagine.

J-C
08-01-2022, 01:31 PM

Ultimately him being here has influenced their decision to join (Henderson confirmed this) so I think it may be later in the window or the next one before we see any Maloney specific signings. That’s if he’s doing that aspect of the role.

We dont know when Maloney was contacted re the job, if Ron had decided a few weeks earlier that Ross was going, then initial plans would be put un place. I'd heard Ron and Ross had a falling out, a month or so earlier, so wasn't surprised he then sacked him and got his own man in. These players look exactly the ones Maloney would go for considering the style of football he wants to play.

CapitalGreen
08-01-2022, 01:45 PM
Think alot are underrating Tait and not really mentioning his name about starting.

He’s a really good young player that has a bit of everything about him. Gets stuck in more than most will imagine.

Agreed, he’s young but he’s already made 81 appearances for Raith and has played nearly every minute of every league game for them this season as a key member of their midfield. His amount of first team minutes played in his career are comparable to those of JDH when he joined us.

Billy Whizz
08-01-2022, 01:48 PM
Agreed, he’s young but he’s already made 81 appearances for Raith and has played nearly every minute of every league game for them this season as a key member of their midfield. His amount of first team minutes played in his career are comparable to those of JDH when he joined us.

For me he’s the one I’m really looking forward to play
As you mention loads of 1st team appearances, and ready to play

HendoDelivered
08-01-2022, 01:57 PM

How have you came to this conclusion? 😂😂

Laced1875
08-01-2022, 04:22 PM
How have you came to this conclusion? 😂😂
I just don’t see Melkerson starting over Nisbet, Henderson over JDH / Newell or Clarke over McGinn or either centre back. Healthy competition for each position however.

WeeRussell
08-01-2022, 04:26 PM
I just don’t see Melkerson starting over Nisbet, Henderson over JDH / Newell or Clarke over McGinn or either centre back. Healthy competition for each position however.

I think Henderson and Clarke will be regulars in the team very quickly.

I also hope Melkers turns out to be a talent too good not to find a place for.

B.H.F.C
08-01-2022, 04:27 PM

Melkerson more likely to play on the left of the front three IMO. Possibly see Henderson playing there as well. That’s the most up for grabs place in the team at the moment.

Clarke will get in against Celtic as McGinn will more than likely be suspended. Don’t think he’s cancelling a loan where he’s playing every week, to go somewhere else in the same league and not play.

scoopyboy
08-01-2022, 04:40 PM

IMHO Clarke will start every game he's available for starting at Parkhead on the 17th.

Unseen work
08-01-2022, 04:46 PM
Clarke will start, either in place or McGinn or Cadden.

I imagine Melkersen to be a regular within a couple of weeks.

Henderson I’m not convinced where he slots in.

Mueller I’d imagine to be battling it out with Melkersen for the left of the front 3 position.

Tait will be competing with a lot of central midfielders for a role.

I think with Maloney though, we’ll rotate the players and squad considerably more than under Ross.

HendoDelivered
08-01-2022, 05:49 PM

Clarke will play over McGinn 100%. Young Hendo will play a lot as well, he’s come here to play games, not to warm the bench. Every chance he may start ahead of JDH. Time will tell though…

Eyrie
08-01-2022, 06:48 PM
Clarke will play over McGinn 100%. Young Hendo will play a lot as well, he’s come here to play games, not to warm the bench. Every chance he may start ahead of JDH. Time will tell though…

They're different styles of players though. Doyle-Hayes will sit deep and circulate the ball whereas Henderson is an attacking player.

CapitalGreen
08-01-2022, 07:01 PM
Why do folk worry about players fitting into a strongest XI, how often throughout a season do we have a squad with no injuries or suspensions? Our problem this season is no depth when a player is injured or suspended. Every player signed will not be short of game time from now until the end of the season.

andrew70
08-01-2022, 07:11 PM
Clarke will start, either in place or McGinn or Cadden.

I imagine Melkersen to be a regular within a couple of weeks.

Henderson I’m not convinced where he slots in.

Mueller I’d imagine to be battling it out with Melkersen for the left of the front 3 position.

Tait will be competing with a lot of central midfielders for a role.

I think with Maloney though, we’ll rotate the players and squad considerably more than under Ross.

Henderson will finish this season as our best player. Terrific talent.

Will player as one of the two 10s or equally in the midfield as an 8. I can’t wait to see him play for us, having seen a lot of him previously.

WeeRussell
08-01-2022, 07:23 PM
Why do folk worry about players fitting into a strongest XI, how often throughout a season do we have a squad with no injuries or suspensions? Our problem this season is no depth when a player is injured or suspended. Every player signed will not be short of game time from now until the end of the season.

This is a fair point. Especially given how radge people went about being short after last transfer window, and how our luck turned out in that regard.

It’s a while since I’ve seen the ‘two players for every position’ line but I do know plenty believe it’s where we should be.

B.H.F.C
08-01-2022, 07:33 PM
This is a fair point. Especially given how radge people went about being short after last transfer window, and how our luck turned out in that regard.

It’s a while since I’ve seen the ‘two players for every position’ line but I do know plenty believe it’s where we should be.

I don’t think we’ll end up with a much bigger squad, maybe by a couple at most, than what we had. We’ve just been reliant on the same players and too many others either didn’t contribute or weren’t given the chance to contribute.

Reckon there will be more go out than come in between now and February.

LunasBoots
08-01-2022, 07:40 PM

Unless Nisbet starts performing after a much needed rest his place is really up for grabs

Is It On....
08-01-2022, 11:44 PM
We dont know when Maloney was contacted re the job, if Ron had decided a few weeks earlier that Ross was going, then initial plans would be put un place. I'd heard Ron and Ross had a falling out, a month or so earlier, so wasn't surprised he then sacked him and got his own man in. These players look exactly the ones Maloney would go for considering the style of football he wants to play.

The model post Butcher was that the manager selects the players from the short list based on the analysis done by the recruitment team. Clearly from that list Stubbs, Lennon, Heckingbottom, Ross, and now Maloney will select the player that suits there desired style of play.

HoboHarry
09-01-2022, 01:08 AM

Never understood that issue either. Who honestly believes that our strongest team against St Mirren for example is the same as our strongest team against Celtic? All about what the tactics are in any given match.

worcesterhibby
09-01-2022, 07:49 AM
Melkerson will lay a lot of minutes, don’t have any worries about that.

Callum_62
09-01-2022, 09:57 AM
Melkerson will lay a lot of minutes, don’t have any worries about that.He does look like a sh@*ger to be fair

hibbyfraelibby
09-01-2022, 10:24 AM
Dabrowksi and Mitchell are our second and third choice goalkeepers. If they were to go, they’d need replaced.

Dabrowski is going nowhere and Mitchell was signed as a keeper cover/coach. Maybe its Samson who might be on a shoogly peg🤔

JimBHibees
09-01-2022, 10:26 AM
Henderson will finish this season as our best player. Terrific talent.

Will player as one of the two 10s or equally in the midfield as an 8. I can’t wait to see him play for us, having seen a lot of him previously.

Agree think he will be a great signing

worcesterhibby
09-01-2022, 11:15 AM
Nisbet has scored 6 goals in 22 games. Why wouldn't Maloney want to drop him and play someone who has scored 17 in 26 (all be it in a different league) ? Melkerson is full of confidence and eager to prove himself. Nisbet has had no competition for months and gets picked every week because we have had no alternative...dropping him and letting him watch The Hoff score for fun is the best motivation we can give him to find his scoring form again.

Macey

Clarke Hanlon Doig
Cadden JDH Henderson Newell
Boyle Mueller
Melkerson

Lancs Harp
09-01-2022, 11:36 AM
Obviously there is a fair amount of guessing and wishful thinking surrounding our new signings. Certainly been a busy January window which isnt always the easiest window to get decent business done. Like most of us I have high hopes but will have to see how things pan out before casting judgment. It would seem we have made signings with at least half an eye on the future. Melkersen could prove an excellent piece of business. Of the players we have signed I would say Clarke will make the first impact on the first team, I think he looks a really good prospect. Henderson excites me but Im not expecting him to pull trees up immdiately but I think theres a good player in there who has been denied the hance to show it at Parkhead. My biggest reservation is over Chris Mueller who I feel has a lot of expectation on him, from what I saw of him in MLS matches he didnt offer too much (only a few games I know) I dont think he'll be much more than a periphery player. Time will tell and I hope they all succeed at Easter Road, certainly feeling happier about our prospects now that I was a couple of months ago.

Callum_62
09-01-2022, 11:49 AM
Obviously there is a fair amount of guessing and wishful thinking surrounding our new signings. Certainly been a busy January window which isnt always the easiest window to get decent business done. Like most of us I have high hopes but will have to see how things pan out before casting judgment. It would seem we have made signings with at least half an eye on the future. Melkersen could prove an excellent piece of business. Of the players we have signed I would say Clarke will make the first impact on the first team, I think he looks a really good prospect. Henderson excites me but Im not expecting him to pull trees up immdiately but I think theres a good player in there who has been denied the hance to show it at Parkhead. My biggest reservation is over Chris Mueller who I feel has a lot of expectation on him, from what I saw of him in MLS matches he didnt offer too much (only a few games I know) I dont think he'll be much more than a periphery player. Time will tell and I hope they all succeed at Easter Road, certainly feeling happier about our prospects now that I was a couple of months ago.I thought Muellers comments on the podcast about his last season in mls and external distractions etc shows he knows he didn't perform as well as he can

I'm exited to see him and Melkerson

Wilson
09-01-2022, 12:24 PM
Nisbet has scored 6 goals in 22 games. Why wouldn't Maloney want to drop him and play someone who has scored 17 in 26 (all be it in a different league) ? Melkerson is full of confidence and eager to prove himself. Nisbet has had no competition for months and gets picked every week because we have had no alternative...dropping him and letting him watch The Hoff score for fun is the best motivation we can give him to find his scoring form again.

Macey

Clarke Hanlon Doig
Boyle Mueller
Melkerson

Nisbet hasn't played 22 games for Maloney so what happened to the clean slate? Nisbet has performed at this level and we need to get him back there. Dropping him without giving him a chance under a new manager/system seems a bit counterintuitive.

It is nice to have options though.

B.H.F.C
09-01-2022, 12:26 PM

Macey

Clarke Hanlon Doig
Boyle Mueller
Melkerson

Nisbet was good against Dundee Utd. And with Maloney’s comments about him afterwards, there’s no chance he’s being dropped.

Stevie Reid
09-01-2022, 12:33 PM
Dabrowski is going nowhere and Mitchell was signed as a keeper cover/coach. Maybe its Samson who might be on a shoogly peg🤔

I absolutely agree on the first two, was just making the point that those two squad positions are not expendable, even if the players occupying them were to be deemed to be.

Will definitely be interesting to see what happens with Samson at the end of the season.

Wakeyhibee
09-01-2022, 12:45 PM
Dont recall any window like this one. Especially as SM is only in the door 5mins. Its early doors but I like the direction he appears to be stearing Hibs already.

Gonna eat all my snacks now deadline day will be for others at this rate.

tamig
09-01-2022, 12:47 PM

These guys will have been tracked for months. Don’t kid yourself that these were identified by SM. The recruitment guys track loads of players. It’s whether the manager/HC is interested in taking the recommendations further that’s the important thing.

tamig
09-01-2022, 12:56 PM

Exactly. One thing I said to my laddie a few days back was that the bench should be extremely strong and we should have genuine competition for places. Main issue this season has been no depth to be able to mix things up. I’m genuinely excited for the return and the rest of the season.

Phil MaGlass
18-02-2022, 07:29 AM
https://www.thenational.scot/sport/19933574.hibs-duo-cheer-bodo-glimt-celtic-park-surprise-wine/

if the team that humped sellik are anything to go by, the two players we just signed (Melkerson & Hauge) could turn out to be a couple of crackers, maybe we should have signed more of them?:greengrin

gbhibby
18-02-2022, 07:38 AM
https://www.thenational.scot/sport/19933574.hibs-duo-cheer-bodo-glimt-celtic-park-surprise-wine/

if the team that humped sellik are anything to go by, the two players we just signed (Melkerson & Hauge) could turn out to be a couple of crackers, maybe we should have signed more of them?:greengrin
Hope the guys didn't have restricted view tickets😁

McGruber
18-02-2022, 07:57 AM
If Mitchell is going to be out why not see what Hague offers - he prefers left wing. Dundee Utd giving 16 year old debut at weekend, surely Hague at 20 with 1st team experience in Norway can be considered to plug a gap now

number9dream
18-02-2022, 08:13 AM

Bodo/Glimt were very impressive. Are our two lads super fit giants in the same mould?

Hibbyradge
18-02-2022, 08:21 AM
If Mitchell is going to be out why not see what Hague offers - he prefers left wing. Dundee Utd giving 16 year old debut at weekend, surely Hague at 20 with 1st team experience in Norway can be considered to plug a gap now

Presumably the manager sees what he offers every day in training.