PDA

View Full Version : Ewan Henderson - Where does he fit in?

Lee Marvin
06-01-2022, 01:14 PM
I have heard really good things about this lad for my friends of a Celtic persuasion. Another exciting one for sure!

Where is he going to play in the system? He has been billed as a no.10, so does this mean he will play as one of the two supporting our no.9? If so, where do we fit in Mueller, Boyle and Henderson?

Ideally, he will be able to play in the no.8 role alongside JDH.

Macey

Clarke Porto Hanlon

Cadden Hendo JDH Doig

Mueller Boyle

Melkerson

Thoughts?

Torto7
06-01-2022, 01:16 PM
Number 10. I think we might see Campbell deeper along with JDH/Newell. Henderson and Magennis for the 10 spot. I can't see any future for Allan tbh.

Lee Marvin
06-01-2022, 01:19 PM
Number 10. I think we might see Campbell deeper along with JDH/Newell. Henderson and Magennis for the 10 spot. I can't see any future for Allan tbh.

Does Maloney not favour the 3-4-3 system? I've not seen is live yet so hard to tell

1van Sprou7e
06-01-2022, 01:22 PM
Does Maloney not favour the 3-4-3 system? I've not seen is live yet so hard to tell

He's only managed 2 games, I'm sure he'll experiment a little

Torto7
06-01-2022, 01:23 PM

Yeah thats a good point. He could play in a flat midfield two if we play 3 behind him.

mayo hibee
06-01-2022, 01:23 PM

More a 3-4-2-1.

The two being made up of an attacking midfielder (Magennis/Henderson) who drops back to help out in midfield and a second striker/forward player (Boyle/Mueller) who supports the main striker (Nisbet/Melkerson/Doidge).

It can be adapted depending on in game circumstances, but that's how this formation generally works in possession.

Out of possession the wing backs drop back and the attacking midfielder drops into midfield to form a 5-3-2 or even 5-4-1 if needed.

ancient hibee
06-01-2022, 02:16 PM
Not everyone will play in every game.Melkerson will start on the bench.

Sean1875
06-01-2022, 02:21 PM
Not everyone will play in every game.Melkerson will start on the bench.
This. The problem we've had this season is that realistically we've had such little options to switch things up, its exciting getting some real depth of quality now so we wont be seeing more or less the exact same starting XI week on week.

Unseen work
06-01-2022, 02:27 PM
I think it’s a bit of a tough one and we’ll see a lot more squad rotation than under Ross.

For me the two they play behind Nisbet need to be able to run in behind, stretch the game and drift into the wide positions aswell as dropping into pockets of space between the opposition defence and midfield.

Although I’ve not seen Henderson that many times he didn’t strike me as the type that would run in behind and is very much a ball to feet sort of midfielder that will find space, turn and play passes.

I’m not sure a huge amount will change in our starting 11 to begin with;

……….………..Macey…………

…..McGinn….Porteous….Hanlon…..

Clarke…..JDH………Newell……..Doig……

………..Boyle………………Mueller……..

……………………..Nisbet………

Clarke could also play the McGinn role but for me he’s at his best bursting forward. I suppose it depends how advanced Maloney wants his RCB.

With rotation you could easily make the following changes;

Macey - Dabrowski - Mitchell
Back 3 - Clarke - McGregor - Stevenson
Clarke - Cadden
JDH - Campbell - Magennis
Newell - Tait - Hallberg - Gogic
Doig - Stevenson - Mackie
Boyle - Melkersen - Bradley - Mackay
Mueller - Henderson - Wright - Allan
Nisbet - Doidge - Scott - Gullan

Tons of options but I think a fair few will move on.

I still think there’s room for more players to come in. I still want some players in their mid 20s that have some experience and are more of known quality as our current signings are very young.

Still think we need more cover in defence.

Fergus52
06-01-2022, 02:29 PM
I've seen him play wide left a couple of times for Celtic, so think his versatility will come in handy.

Could play at number 10 when we go 3412, wide left in the front three when we go 343, or even as one of the deeper central midfielders in either of those formations.

shetlandhibee
06-01-2022, 02:34 PM
in the squad to be tried in various positions IMO until SM figures out his strongest team,,,

LNHibs
06-01-2022, 02:45 PM
He’s been told he is going to play so I’d imagine he’ll get a good amount of game time. Only reason he’s signed on loan is because Celtic don’t want him to play against them this season, madness

BoomtownHibees
06-01-2022, 02:48 PM
He’s been told he is going to play so I’d imagine he’ll get a good amount of game time. Only reason he’s signed on loan is because Celtic don’t want him to play against them this season, madness

May also be a benefit to him if he’s on a decent wage at Celtc

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2022, 02:53 PM
Cant see him starting over Newell. Not sure he's at that level yet and doesn't play that role as far as I know. Most likely behind forwards or wide.

Tyler Durden
06-01-2022, 03:01 PM
Given his apparent versatility, he could certainly fill a number of roles. I think initially he'd be competing for the role that Drey Wright played at Tannadice. That seems the obvious free spot in the team for Henderson or Mueller to immediately come in.

But at times with the 3-4-3 formation, when we're in the ascendancy and expected to win a game, we may choose to use a more attacking wide player. Rather than a Doig or Cadden for example we may go with more of an attacking option. If you look at Belgium, they would sometimes use a winger in the wing back role..... Carrasco or Chadli for example.

number9dream
06-01-2022, 03:03 PM
Left of the main striker has been a problem area this season, so Hendo jnr may get a run there, although I don't think he's particularly quick.
If Maloney sticks with 3-4-3, he may not be athletic enough for the two central midfield roles and there isn't a number 10 position.
However, it's early days in the Maloney era and teams need to be flexible.
The OP's line-up looks extremely lightweight... I'm not sure if any of these January signings are going to walk into the side and immediately improve us - all are pretty much untested at this level. Henderson perhaps has the best chance but he's only played 20 minutes of first team football this season.

BegbieHSC
06-01-2022, 03:09 PM
I have heard really good things about this lad for my friends of a Celtic persuasion. Another exciting one for sure!

Where is he going to play in the system? He has been billed as a no.10, so does this mean he will play as one of the two supporting our no.9? If so, where do we fit in Mueller, Boyle and Henderson?

Ideally, he will be able to play in the no.8 role alongside JDH.

Macey

Clarke Porto Hanlon

Cadden Hendo JDH Doig

Mueller Boyle

Melkerson

Thoughts?

That’s the team that’s winning the Scottish Cup! Looks great!

Hibee Mac
06-01-2022, 07:04 PM
If I'm honest I don't really see where he fits into the team playing a 343 system. And there's no question to me that's what Maloney is here to implement.

Maloney obviously has an idea of where he'll play but i can't see it immediately...

With that in mind, I think we could do with a more athletic central midfielder to pair with either Newall or JDH. Not sure Henderson can fill that role either. Maybe that position can wait until summer though.

CapitalGreen
06-01-2022, 07:13 PM
If I'm honest I don't really see where he fits into the team playing a 343 system. And there's no question to me that's what Maloney is here to implement.

Maloney obviously has an idea of where he'll play but i can't see it immediately...

With that in mind, I think we could do with a more athletic central midfielder to pair with either Newall or JDH. Not sure Henderson can fill that role either. Maybe that position can wait until summer though.

In the 3-4-3 system used by Maloney it’s not a flat front 3, the width is provided by the wing backs not the forwards. Henderson will play the role Wright and Allan played in our last 2 games, dropping into the number 10 position when we have possession and pushing forward to press the opposition when out of possession.

Hibee Mac
06-01-2022, 07:45 PM
In the 3-4-3 system used by Maloney it’s not a flat front 3, the width is provided by the wing backs not the forwards. Henderson will play the role Wright and Allan played in our last 2 games, dropping into the number 10 position when we have possession and pushing forward to press the opposition when out of possession.You're right that's how Wright and Allan played those positions in our last game, however, I thought that the usual idea of players in that position in a 343 was they would be athletic and loads of rotation between the front three. Also a key role being to make runs in behind the striker when he drops deep.

I don't think that suits Henderson by the sounds of it he is kind of like his brother, great technical ability but not a huge amount of athleticism. More of a #10.

jgl07
07-01-2022, 12:59 AM
Does he deliver?

Mibbes Aye
07-01-2022, 05:54 AM
Good to see Hibs continuing that fine custom in the last few decades of brothers featuring (sometimes simultaneously) for the club.

The Millers in the 90s, the Dempsies, the Showunmis, the McGinns and now the Hendersons. A family club indeed :agree:

LunasBoots
07-01-2022, 08:04 AM
Attacking midfielder so just behind the strikers

Mick O'Rourke
07-01-2022, 08:48 AM
Unusual arrangement.
He is on loan till the end of the season. THEN to sign a 3 year contract.

Wonder if there are other conditions to this? Like maybe a Hibs player going the other way ?

Mick O'Rourke
07-01-2022, 08:51 AM
Good to see Hibs continuing that fine custom in the last few decades of brothers featuring (sometimes simultaneously) for the club.

The Millers in the 90s, the Dempsies, the Showunmis, the McGinns and now the Hendersons. A family club indeed :agree:

The Millers ? Couldnae kick sna' aff a dyke .
Blatant nepotism.

Now ...The Baker Boys... They could play.. and some:aok::not worth

bigwheel
07-01-2022, 08:51 AM
Unusual arrangement.

Wonder if there are other conditions to this? Like maybe a Hibs player going the other way ?

No. It was simply Celtic’s way to stop him playing against them this season

bigwheel
07-01-2022, 09:00 AM
And play against them next season !! Dont buy that

Fair enough. But it’s true. They can’t do anything about next season. He’s out of contract

CapitalGreen
07-01-2022, 09:04 AM
Unusual arrangement.

No different to Jamie Murphy signing or Celtic’s recent signing of Daizen Maeda

Mick O'Rourke
07-01-2022, 09:06 AM
Fair enough. But it’s true. They can’t do anything about next season. He’s out of contract

I see. Ok then. Just seemed unusual at first.
Still think Boyle may be on their radar.

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2022, 09:18 AM
I see. Ok then. Just seemed unusual at first.
Still think Boyle may be on their radar.

Its exactly the same deal we done for Murphy last season.

Boyle was available for pennies before his new deal. There was summer 2020/21 where we had covid uncertainty and he had a year on his deal and no one came for him. He renewned with a 500k release clause to foreign clubs. No one came for him other than Aberdeen :faf: then he renewed again.

No good source has ever linked Boyle with a move. He has shown zero inclination for a move himself and has renewed twice in the last 2 years.

He is 29 soon. Celtic aren't going to pay what he is worth to us. Can we stop trying to sell him on here please.

WeeRussell
07-01-2022, 09:27 AM

Boyle was available for pennies before his new deal. There was summer 2020/21 where we had covid uncertainty and he had a year on his deal and no one came for him. He renewned with a 500k release clause to foreign clubs. No one came for him other than Aberdeen :faf: then he renewed again.

No good source has ever linked Boyle with a move. He has shown zero inclination for a move himself and has renewed twice in the last 2 years.

He is 29 soon. Celtic aren't going to pay what he is worth to us. Can we stop trying to sell him on here please.

Just because you’ve stated explicitly as fact a number of times that Boyle isn’t ever going to sign for anyone else doesn’t mean others aren’t allowed to suggest clubs might be interested in him.

I don’t think he’ll be off in January either, but him not moving in the middle of a pandemic and signing a new contract doesn’t tie him down forever. He wouldn’t be the first 29 year old to get a big move and he continues to bang in goals and stand out leading up to every window.

Mick O'Rourke
07-01-2022, 09:28 AM

Not me,guv! You think he will stay. I hope so too.

Dalianwanda
07-01-2022, 09:34 AM
And play against them next season? !! Dont buy that.

Its happened with Murphy & I dont mind any players being flogged to them.

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2022, 09:44 AM
Just because you’ve stated explicitly as fact a number of times that Boyle isn’t ever going to sign for anyone else doesn’t mean others aren’t allowed to suggest clubs might be interested in him.

I don’t think he’ll be off in January either, but him not moving in the middle of a pandemic and signing a new contract doesn’t tie him down forever. He wouldn’t be the first 29 year old to get a big move and he continues to bang in goals and stand out leading up to every window.

I haven't stated as a fact he will stay. I've stated all the facts point to him staying. Of course people can suggest clubs might be interested in him. It would be good if they based it on something, though.

Mick O'Rourke
07-01-2022, 09:48 AM
I haven't stated as a fact he will stay. I've stated all the facts point to him staying. Of course people can suggest clubs might be interested in him. It would be good if they based it on something, though.

You said Celtic would not pay us what he is worth.Whatever that is.
How do you know that ? Is it based on something you know ?

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2022, 09:52 AM
You said Celtic would not pay us what he is worth.
How do you know that ? Is it based on something you know ?

Well, its based on thier general history with being stingy over transfers, like McGinn.

This type of signing is not the policy of them at all recently (no resell value)

They also spent decent money on a couple of right sided players recently, like Abada.

They are far more likely to put 3 million towards keeping Jota.

Mick O'Rourke
07-01-2022, 09:58 AM
Its happened with Murphy & I dont mind any players being flogged to them.

Yes,i have been told that.
However,if our "best" players were to leave, i would rather they went South than West.

No more Hibernain,Celtcs feeder club banners !!

Keith_M
07-01-2022, 11:12 AM
Replacement for Boyle?

:dunno:

Eyrie
07-01-2022, 06:26 PM
However,if our "best" players were to leave, i would rather they went South than West.

That only showed their ignorance. We're their parent club, and they'd be Huns if it wasn't for us.

Dalianwanda
07-01-2022, 06:34 PM

Same here though it’s been a while since we sold anyone to them (Scott Allan 6 years ago was last sale i think). Just because we have bought someone from them doesn’t mean we’re going to sell to them. If he does go (based on nothing but a hunch) i’d say it would be to middle east/asia.

Dmas
07-01-2022, 06:38 PM
When I read we where about to sign hendo I immediately thought about him playing the No.6 role then I read all the stuff after he signed and he’s being billed as attacking mid so no idea where I got the no.6 idea from

Be interesting to see where everyone fits but one thing for certain we’re pretty strong on paper with good options on the bench as well no matter what 11 we pick

Hibbyradge
07-01-2022, 06:47 PM
May also be a benefit to him if he’s on a decent wage at Celtc

AFAIK, they told him that he was free to find another club, so they must have been prepared to pay the remainder of his contract.

Letting him go on loan means that they recuperate some of that money with the added benefit that he can't play against them.

Since452
07-01-2022, 06:51 PM
I read somewhere he was on £3200 a week at Celtic.

dp00
08-01-2022, 10:51 PM
I read somewhere he was on £3200 a week at Celtic.

I would be stunned if Celtic were paying youth/reserve players that much ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk