PDA

View Full Version : Journalists

St.Kristopher
05-01-2022, 11:58 PM
Do we have any Hibs fans in football media? I feel like I am reading/listening to some fairly decent content through gritted teeth from Fowler and Sked et al. But do we have any that are not having to hang their scarf outside the door?

No disrespect to the lads as they do well to be impartial… I just feel we are missing a voice.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-01-2022, 12:33 AM
One of the few qualified “journalists” is actually Keith Jackson :)

There will be other journalists but for example, Andrew Downie is a Hibee and covers South American football for the Guardian but also the author of Doctor Socrates, and also wrote a book about the 1970 Brazil World Cup side. A great guy with some great stories.

let’s go for quality over quantity :)

I’m splitting hairs perhaps but in Brazil there was a period you’d not get a gig as a journalist if you were not a qualified journalist and paid up member of the union.

I was a bit shocked to learn that Jacko was one of the few journos by trade as opposed to pilundits / sports writers or whatever. Doesn’t always imply quality :)

cameronw-hfc
06-01-2022, 12:58 AM
As an aspiring full time sports Journo, I'd like to vouch for a good amount of Hibs podcasts. Some really good ones, and there's 3/4 of them.

Longbangers, Strong Opinion, Down the Slope all class listens.

Slim Shady
06-01-2022, 06:51 AM
Luke Shanley

Gordon Smart

Hibby Gav
06-01-2022, 06:59 AM
Kenny Millar

CentreLine
06-01-2022, 10:39 AM
Kenny Millar

Was his departure from Hibs poorly handled? Someone suggested that to me once

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2022, 10:42 AM

I thought he resigned?

Hibby Gav
06-01-2022, 10:48 AM

Kenny is a regular on here so I thinks it’s best I leave that to him to comment on :wink:

Top man and a massive Hibby that brought a great style and humour to the “socials” I thought….maybe a clash of vision?….only he will know fully….a loss to the club in my opinion

ggtth

Baader
06-01-2022, 11:11 AM
I work in broadcast media (TV editor in London) and cut matches from leagues worldwide. I've worked on many a Hibs highlights edit over the years. Have worked alongside quite a few exiled Hibbys in that time (nae Jambos!) I remember being quite surprised in my dealings with BBC Scotland that most of the production team there at the time were Celtic fans.

Good friend of mine Alan Tyers is a journalist and Hibs fan and writes for The Telegraph (amongst others.)

Brightside
06-01-2022, 11:13 AM
Do we have any Hibs fans in football media? I feel like I am reading/listening to some fairly decent content through gritted teeth from Fowler and Sked et al. But do we have any that are not having to hang their scarf outside the door?

No disrespect to the lads as they do well to be impartial… I just feel we are missing a voice.

Best not to read any print media tbh.

hibby rae
06-01-2022, 12:42 PM
Kenny is a regular on here so I thinks it’s best I leave that to him to comment on :wink:

Top man and a massive Hibby that brought a great style and humour to the “socials” I thought….maybe a clash of vision?….only he will know fully….a loss to the club in my opinion

ggtth

Going off topic, but I think Hibs may be lacking someone who actually knows about Hibs, the culture, history, has a feel of the fans etc. running the social side of things.

Two incidents come to mind which did not go down well, the first was the post about Prince Philip (iirc Rangers and Airdrie were the only other two Scottish clubs to do so), and the second was on their photo advent calendar they included a picture of Matt Doherty. That went down even worse than the Prince Philip post, to the extent Hibs took it down from their social. Plus, it seems to have gone a bit corporate. It ca be saturated it with posts about minor sponsorship or cryptocurrency announcements.

Not saying a Hibs supporter is a must for running it, but someone who is knowledgeable about the club and all the quirks, rivalries and culture of Scottish football is, or who knows what kind of content it's followers want, and I'm not sure we have that.

hibby rae
06-01-2022, 12:45 PM

In fairness to Fowler, I think it's less gritted than Sked. He's a died in the wool Jambo, fair play to him, but I believe he grew up with mostly Hibs supporting mates and he's not one of those Jambos that seems to be defined by a hatred of Hibs as much as, or more than, a love of Hearts.

Does Alan Temple support anyone (writes for the Courier)? He's a good listen on podcasts and I think was Edinburgh originally.

St.Kristopher
06-01-2022, 08:15 PM
In fairness to Fowler, I think it's less gritted than Sked. He's a died in the wool Jambo, fair play to him, but I believe he grew up with mostly Hibs supporting mates and he's not one of those Jambos that seems to be defined by a hatred of Hibs as much as, or more than, a love of Hearts.

Does Alan Temple support anyone (writes for the Courier)? He's a good listen on podcasts and I think was Edinburgh originally.

Agree on Fowler. Think a lot of those boys (Temple as well) came out Napier’s journalism degree. From what I've heard it's a really decent course with some top professors such as Eamonn O’Neill.

I understand that the guys at EEN are unfortunately paid in clicks so I think their content can be a bit forced (probably even in their own minds). Would be nice to have a youngish guy or girl with Hibs leanings, as for a local paper I think it's ok to have some bias and partisanship.