PDA

View Full Version : SPFL Rules on Covid Postponements

hibbyfraelibby
28-12-2021, 09:38 AM
There is, rightfully,a fair degree of anger aimed at the SPFL and their attitude to postponing games because of Covid ( and other injuries).

As with most things SPFL the rules seem either outdated or not fit for purpose.

The current SPFL rule is that you name an 11 player starting line up and can name up to 7 substitutes on the bench and can use 5 of them over 3 stoppages of play ( not including half time). In other words the rule is for a squad of 18 for a match.

How come you are then forced to play a match with 12 outfield players and 1 goalkeeper, 11 of whom must be over 18?

Donkeycaster is presiding over a farce. He's supposed to be a CEO time he started acting like one but he'd have to climb out of tge ugly sisters' pockets first.

JXM73
28-12-2021, 09:41 AM
I see you missed the part where the clubs agreed to this rule and blame Doncaster alone, it is a **** rule though...

Helensburghhibs
28-12-2021, 09:47 AM
I'm not saying I agree with this rule but they are in a no win situation. There has to be an angle that stops clubs using it just because they are missing 1 or 2 key players. If its too lenient it is open to abuse to cover Injuries, suspension etc

matty_f
28-12-2021, 09:52 AM
The clubs all signed up to these rules so it is right that they’re applied. IIRC, the clubs also voted against giving the SPFL board special dispensation to make decisions related to covid, so i don’t really have much sympathy.

hibbyfraelibby
28-12-2021, 10:05 AM
I'm not saying I agree with this rule but they are in a no win situation. There has to be an angle that stops clubs using it just because they are missing 1 or 2 key players. If its too lenient it is open to abuse to cover Injuries, suspension etc

Whilst I sympathise with your point re manipulating the rule suspensions are a different matter and out of scope.

I believe each team in the Premiership should have to register a squad of 24 players only to be used in each phase of the league season a bit like the NFL. If a player gets a long term injury he can go on the injured reserve for a period of a minimum of 4 weeks and replaced on the roster by another player from the wider squad. Inc development players.

Whwn fit that squad substitute must stand back down.

As far as suspensions are concerned we should follow rugby and sin bin for a yellow card not cummulatively suspend. Only Reds should lead to a suspension. Any yellow in the last period of the game which turns out more than the time allowed in that game should roll over to the clubs next game, a bit like an F1 grid penalty.

Making teams deliberately play understrength teams plays into the hands of the uglies. Force a level pkaying field in terms of squad size is in the interests of sporting integrity and stops the league being bought whilst forcing the "minnows" to meet minimum standards.

JimBHibees
28-12-2021, 10:08 AM
There is, rightfully,a fair degree of anger aimed at the SPFL and their attitude to postponing games because of Covid ( and other injuries).

As with most things SPFL the rules seem either outdated or not fit for purpose.

The current SPFL rule is that you name an 11 player starting line up and can name up to 7 substitutes on the bench and can use 5 of them over 3 stoppages of play ( not including half time). In other words the rule is for a squad of 18 for a match.

How come you are then forced to play a match with 12 outfield players and 1 goalkeeper, 11 of whom must be over 18?

Donkeycaster is presiding over a farce. He's supposed to be a CEO time he started acting like one but he'd have to climb out of tge ugly sisters' pockets first.

Think you can only use 3 subs not 5.

Brightside
28-12-2021, 10:13 AM

Yeh. No idea why we went back to 3. 5 is the way forward.

greenginger
28-12-2021, 10:16 AM

Dundee Utd used 4 on Sunday

CropleyWasGod
28-12-2021, 10:19 AM
Whilst I sympathise with your point re manipulating the rule suspensions are a different matter and out of scope.

I believe each team in the Premiership should have to register a squad of 24 players only to be used in each phase of the league season a bit like the NFL. If a player gets a long term injury he can go on the injured reserve for a period of a minimum of 4 weeks and replaced on the roster by another player from the wider squad. Inc development players.

Whwn fit that squad substitute must stand back down.

As far as suspensions are concerned we should follow rugby and sin bin for a yellow card not cummulatively suspend. Only Reds should lead to a suspension. Any yellow in the last period of the game which turns out more than the time allowed in that game should roll over to the clubs next game, a bit like an F1 grid penalty.

Making teams deliberately play understrength teams plays into the hands of the uglies. Force a level pkaying field in terms of squad size is in the interests of sporting integrity and stops the league being bought whilst forcing the "minnows" to meet minimum standards.

Nobody is "making teams " do anything other than the clubs themselves.

bigwheel
28-12-2021, 10:21 AM

Just three according to reports..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
28-12-2021, 10:23 AM

Only 3 no one came on for Mulgrew taking them down to 10.

Brightside
28-12-2021, 10:24 AM
Only 3 no one came on for Mulgrew taking them down to 10.

That’s right. Just checked. We reverted back to 3 subs this season. No clue why.

Northernhibee
28-12-2021, 10:25 AM
Should be similar rules to an international game. If you have a certain amount of players out, then you're allowed to request a postponement.

JimBHibees
28-12-2021, 10:29 AM
That’s right. Just checked. We reverted back to 3 subs this season. No clue why.

Assume clubs agreed it think there may have been the view Old firm benefited from having larger quality squads when five.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/the-scottish-premiership-substitution-change-for-season-202122-3330284

Brightside
28-12-2021, 10:31 AM
Assume clubs agreed it think there may have been the view Old firm benefited from having larger quality squads when five.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/the-scottish-premiership-substitution-change-for-season-202122-3330284
Weird that the Champ teams voted against it first time round also. Purely from a development view point it makes sense.

Argylehibby
28-12-2021, 10:33 AM

Was only 3 that’s why he played the last 15 minutes or so a player short after Mulgrew went off injured. The commentator mentioned that at the time questioning why they had reverted to 3 subs allowed

Fuzzywuzzy
28-12-2021, 10:35 AM
Yet you have the rangers complaining about sporting integrity and how unfair it is that this has happened

greenginger
28-12-2021, 10:37 AM
E

Celtic definitely used 4 in League cup final, 2 subs in final stoppage.

Must have had different rules for League Cup, or different rules for the uglies :greengrin

Brightside
28-12-2021, 10:41 AM
E

Celtic definitely used 4 in League cup final, 2 subs in final stoppage.

Must have had different rules for League Cup, or different rules for the uglies :greengrin

Yep cup is different.

hibbysam
28-12-2021, 10:54 AM
I don’t see anything wrong with the rule. If it wasn’t there games wouldn’t be played and we’d end up where we were 2 years ago.

What I do have an issue with is when the criteria is met, they then change rules to allow loan players to return just to suit an old firm argument (st mirren last week). And even then only do it from lowland league clubs and not SPFL clubs. It’s completely half arsed and made up as they go along.

Lago
28-12-2021, 11:14 AM
The clubs all signed up to these rules so it is right that they’re applied. IIRC, the clubs also voted against giving the SPFL board special dispensation to make decisions related to covid, so i don’t really have much sympathy.
Spot on 👍

Lendo
28-12-2021, 11:14 AM
Yet you have the rangers complaining about sporting integrity and how unfair it is that this has happened

To he fair, that was just that clown McGregor. GVB said he has no issue with the earlier break.

Billy Whizz
28-12-2021, 05:38 PM
Yep cup is different.

League cup was 5, think the Scottish cup is back to 3 this season
Maybe it’s something they’ll look at for League and Scottish Cup. We’ve got 8 games in 25/26 days after the break