PDA

View Full Version : How big a deal is the New Year derby to you?

He's here!
26-12-2021, 11:31 AM
Now that the Scottish government's festive football scrooges (IMHO) have effectively scuppered the New Year derby, how much does its absence bother you?
Obviously it's a fixture which has wonderful historic connotations for Hibs (7-0) and for fans whose only regular return to Edinburgh is during the festive season I know it's a fixture many relish as a rare chance to see the Hibees. However, for me it's a fixture I'm not really too unhappy to see postponed. I used to associate it with pretty awful Hogmanay hangovers (made even worse if we got beat), and even in my less drunken middle age it can put a real dampener on the festive season if the result doesn't go our way.
I guess it might have been a chance for Maloney to really get his reign off to a flyer with a win but on reflection I'm thinking it may be no bad thing for him to have longer to work with the players/make some signings before facing a derby.

JXM73
26-12-2021, 11:35 AM
Stopped reading after first line..another point ruined before you started...

Lendo
26-12-2021, 11:37 AM
Now that the Scottish government's festive football scrooges have effectively scuppered the New Year derby, how much does its absence bother you?
Obviously it's a fixture which has wonderful historic connotations for Hibs (7-0) and for fans whose only regular return to Edinburgh is during the festive season I know it's a fixture many relish as a rare chance to see the Hibees. However, for me it's a fixture I'm not really too unhappy to see postponed. I used to associate it with pretty awful Hogmanay hangovers (made even worse if we got beat), and even in my less drunken middle age it can put a real dampener on the festive season if the result doesn't go our way.
I guess it might have been a chance for Maloney to really get his reign off to a flyer with a win but on reflection I'm thinking it may be no bad thing for him to have longer to work with the players/make some signings before facing a derby.

Yawn

greenlex
26-12-2021, 11:38 AM
Not as big a deal as folks lives to be honest.

wookie70
26-12-2021, 11:46 AM
The initial scheduling wasn't exactly in keeping with the fixture. I'd far rather it went back to being 3pm on Jan 1st and that had nothing to do with SG and everything to do with money and greed to the expense of the football fan

easty
26-12-2021, 11:46 AM

Same

Northernhibee
26-12-2021, 12:08 PM
Not as big a deal as folks lives to be honest.

Yep.

scoopyboy
26-12-2021, 12:12 PM
Still would have enjoyed it but for me the fixture has never been the same since it was moved from 1st January.

Since452
26-12-2021, 12:14 PM
Pales into insignificance in times like these.

Sir David Gray
26-12-2021, 12:19 PM
I really enjoy it, I'm a traditionalist with things like this and I think it's a pity that it's not happening this year.

Hopefully it will work out for the best for us being able to play them with a few new signings as I don't think we would have won had it been played next week but I sincerely hope it's back next season.

Glory Lurker
26-12-2021, 12:19 PM
Still would have enjoyed it but for me the fixture has never been the same since it was moved from 1st January.

Agree.

BoomtownHibees
26-12-2021, 12:31 PM
I’m guessing this thread didn’t go to plan 😂

CentreLine
26-12-2021, 12:38 PM

Yep me too. And it’s never been the same since it was moved from New Year’s Day

linlithgowhibbie
26-12-2021, 01:02 PM
New Years day, 3pm KO, no live tv, half hungover, full house, back home after a win, slag my Jambo brother over the phone, happy days.:flag:

sleeping giant
26-12-2021, 01:03 PM
Now that the Scottish government's festive football scrooges have effectively scuppered the New Year derby, how much does its absence bother you?

Wtf is wrong with people.

WeeRussell
26-12-2021, 01:12 PM
It seems you could save the grand effort of typing a few paragraphs for your faux desire to start a discussion when everyone knows what you’re after.

Kato
26-12-2021, 01:29 PM

Didn't expect that from you. Over on the Holy Ground these kind of traditions are vitality important to the make-up of Great Britain.

The NYD stopped being as such years ago. The tradition of it being on NYD stopped ages ago then the tradition of it being ER one year then Tynie the next stopped more recently for whatever reason.

A Hi-Bee
26-12-2021, 02:04 PM
It was the biggest deal in football for me when we smacked them 0-7 but now I dont give a sheite when we beat them, any time of the year will do.
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
26-12-2021, 02:07 PM

this :agree:

Since452
26-12-2021, 02:08 PM
Funnily enough Hibs have a better record in new year derbies than Hearts. Odd considering the overall head to head.

Keith_M
26-12-2021, 02:09 PM
Pales into insignificance in times like these.

:agree:

We live in strange times and the date chosen for when we play Hearts is the least of our worries.

Bristolhibby
26-12-2021, 02:17 PM
The initial scheduling wasn't exactly in keeping with the fixture. I'd far rather it went back to being 3pm on Jan 1st and that had nothing to do with SG and everything to do with money and greed to the expense of the football fan

This.

J

He's here!
26-12-2021, 04:06 PM
Now wondering if I'd prefer it to be on after today's win...

lyonhibs
26-12-2021, 05:06 PM
When was it last even played on January 1st? It's another game against Hearts, exactly when it gets played is of no significance at all

Dashing Bob S
26-12-2021, 05:10 PM

Agreed. You don’t have to be sympathetic to any strategy to handle the pandemic to realise this post is pretty pathetic and that the agenda is to criticize Sturgeon/SNP/Indy rather than an exploration of how important the derby is to people.

Glory Lurker
26-12-2021, 05:13 PM
When was it last even played on January 1st? It's another game against Hearts, exactly when it gets played is of no significance at all

Was thinking about this earlier. 98?

Glory Lurker
26-12-2021, 05:25 PM
Only a cup final could compare, and they were few and far between those days believe it or not, young people.

It was the pinnacle of the fitba calendar. Rolling out of bed still merry after a rocking house party, topping it all back up in the pub or at a mate's, you'd barely stopped bouncing for 24 hours by the time you got to the turnstiles.

The match had an importance above the other derbies, even though the stakes were the same. The celebrations were happier, the bragging rights were braggier. And the twist was often spending the night before, the pre-match pub (not always), and the pub time after, with jambo pals. Once the disappointed bunch got it out their system, it would be a fun night. And you'd be so grateful the 2nd was a Bank Holiday.

See nostalgia? So much better in the old days.

Sir David Gray
26-12-2021, 05:27 PM
Was thinking about this earlier. 98?

2011 - Hearts won 1-0 at Tynecastle.

Last one at Easter Road was 1997 - 4-0 Hearts.

Glory Lurker
26-12-2021, 05:29 PM

Now you put it that way, glad we got rid of it.

LunasBoots
26-12-2021, 05:30 PM
Aye as a big deal and big disappointment to me, instead of celebrating new year was saving my cash and had plans to get out for the Derby instead, changed by the government so house party instead, canny be bothered mind you.

judas
26-12-2021, 06:39 PM
Agreed. You don’t have to be sympathetic to any strategy to handle the pandemic to realise this post is pretty pathetic and that the agenda is to criticize Sturgeon/SNP/Indy rather than an exploration of how important the derby is to people.

You took a lot from the first sentence. You must know that guy really well.

greenlex
26-12-2021, 06:43 PM
You took a lot from the first sentence. You must know that guy really well.
His posts on the subject elsewhere reveal far more than the first sentence on this one.

He's here!
26-12-2021, 08:12 PM

No attempted slieght of hand on my part as I've never hidden my opinion that banning crowds again was the wrong decision. It's also hard to take seriously a 'Covid Recovery' secretary who admits he shouldn't have allowed a crowd at the cup final only to give the nod to midweek crowds. He's already had plenty flak on here so I'm not sure my opinion is anything to get too agitated by?

I may be recalling the wrong poster (and apologies if so) but IIRC you yourself took a pretty mocking tone towards fearmongering around the cup final crowd?

Anyway, if it spares the sensitivities of some I've added an IMHO to my OP.

The Modfather
26-12-2021, 08:13 PM

Was the 4-0 game the one where Leighton got lobbed? I used to get New Year derby tickets for xmas. I vividly remember wanting to leave but my Dad, who was a Hearts fan, insisting we stayed to the end. Bah humbug!

Sir David Gray
26-12-2021, 08:17 PM
Was the 4-0 game the one where Leighton got lobbed? I used to get New Year derby tickets for xmas. I vividly remember wanting to leave but my Dad, who was a Hearts fan, insisting we stayed to the end. Bah humbug!

Not sure, the scorers were John Robertson (obviously), Colin Cameron and Jim Hamilton x2.

He's here!
26-12-2021, 08:20 PM
Only a cup final could compare, and they were few and far between those days believe it or not, young people.

It was the pinnacle of the fitba calendar. Rolling out of bed still merry after a rocking house party, topping it all back up in the pub or at a mate's, you'd barely stopped bouncing for 24 hours by the time you got to the turnstiles.

The match had an importance above the other derbies, even though the stakes were the same. The celebrations were happier, the bragging rights were braggier. And the twist was often spending the night before, the pre-match pub (not always), and the pub time after, with jambo pals. Once the disappointed bunch got it out their system, it would be a fun night. And you'd be so grateful the 2nd was a Bank Holiday.

See nostalgia? So much better in the old days.

That's pretty much one of my uncle's takes on it (as somebody for whom the game was always on the 1st when he was young and single!). I love hearing him talk about the 7-0 game.

He's here!
26-12-2021, 08:23 PM
Not sure, the scorers were John Robertson (obviously), Colin Cameron and Jim Hamilton x2.

Jeez must have managed to block that one from my memory. I remember losing 4-1 in the early 90s but not that game.

Glory Lurker
26-12-2021, 08:25 PM
Jeez must have managed to block that one from my memory. I remember losing 4-1 in the early 90s but not that game.

Aye, and our one was an own goal. 1991. Wasn't on the first though, so it doesn't count :-)

Sir David Gray
26-12-2021, 08:26 PM

Lowlights here if you can stomach it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jmR-zsZ3oIs

He's here!
26-12-2021, 10:25 PM
Lowlights here if you can stomach it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jmR-zsZ3oIs

Might pass on that thanks all the same...

I'll focus instead on my discovery this evening that Hearts failed to win a new year derby between 1967 and 1985 😀

Renfrew_Hibby
26-12-2021, 10:40 PM
Now that the Scottish government's festive football scrooges (IMHO) have effectively scuppered the New Year derby, how much does its absence bother you?

🤡

AFKA5814_Hibs
26-12-2021, 11:13 PM
The New Year derby, which was always on New Years Day into the late 90's was a huge game for most fans. Regardless of how you woke up on NYD, the game was there to be played, you had a hangover but whatever, the game was the hair of the dog.

In recent years, the New Year derby became the 2nd, or 3rd or even 4th depending on TV schedules. My preference was that despite what day it was on, the ko time wasn't too early so the fans could have a day out, to me that's what the New Year derby was all about. :greengrin

The 3rd to me was fine, it was a holiday despite being an early ko so plenty of time for a celebration afterwards which I'm sure Maloney's new team would have given us. 1st February might actually turn out better for us giving Maloney more time to gel a team together but it's a Tuesday in February, which is a pretty ***** time for a derby to be played. :na na:

gazzag70
27-12-2021, 12:25 AM
I might be old fashioned but I loved it when it was actually on the first of January, New Years have never been the same for me since they stopped it.

He's here!
27-12-2021, 09:59 AM
The New Year derby, which was always on New Years Day into the late 90's was a huge game for most fans. Regardless of how you woke up on NYD, the game was there to be played, you had a hangover but whatever, the game was the hair of the dog.

In recent years, the New Year derby became the 2nd, or 3rd or even 4th depending on TV schedules. My preference was that despite what day it was on, the ko time wasn't too early so the fans could have a day out, to me that's what the New Year derby was all about. :greengrin

The 3rd to me was fine, it was a holiday despite being an early ko so plenty of time for a celebration afterwards which I'm sure Maloney's new team would have given us. 1st February might actually turn out better for us giving Maloney more time to gel a team together but it's a Tuesday in February, which is a pretty ***** time for a derby to be played. :na na:

Pretty sure the Millennium derby at Tynecastle was played around Christmas - and IIRC we were also at Tynecastle for the 'festive' derby the following year (possibly on Boxing Day). McLeish had an excellent derby record - apart from a brief spell under Lennon it was the only time since Turnbull when I always felt confident about the fixture. Sauzee and Latapy put the fear into Hearts.

adam middlemass
27-12-2021, 10:19 AM

I'll focus instead on my discovery this evening that Hearts failed to win a new year derby between 1967 and 1985 😀
Yes I’m sure I read a while back that Hearts had never, ever won a New Year derby when it fell on a Thursday, think its 15 games in total. Long may it continue! :flag:

monktonharp
28-12-2021, 12:34 AM
Me too. 3pm new years day....were' aw pished and even if you meet a jambo mate ( of sorts) a lose isnae too bad but a win? Well that just makes new year so effing guid!!!!!!

Forza Fred
28-12-2021, 01:30 AM
New Years day, 3pm KO, no live tv, half hungover, full house, back home after a win, slag my Jambo brother over the phone, happy days.:flag:

That’s not Colin is it?

Gloucester Hibs
28-12-2021, 04:51 AM

I think it was, by Colin Cameron. My memory is all the goals came at the FF end. Duffy’s first game in charge? A sign of things to come for us. Sure Iain Cameron hit the post for us at 0-0.

hibbysam
28-12-2021, 07:25 AM
Didn't expect that from you. Over on the Holy Ground these kind of traditions are vitality important to the make-up of Great Britain.

The NYD stopped being as such years ago. The tradition of it being on NYD stopped ages ago then the tradition of it being ER one year then Tynie the next stopped more recently for whatever reason.

It’s still alternate years. The only thing that may possibly change that (although haven’t checked) is relegation.

Pagan Hibernia
28-12-2021, 07:43 AM

they barely won any derby between 67 and 81!

hibsbollah
28-12-2021, 08:28 AM
Now that Scottish football’s raising of her skirts and letting TV companies as representatives of unfettered free market capitalism roger her senseless has scuppered the traditional New Year derby…

(Fixed that for you).

Pagan Hibernia
28-12-2021, 09:04 AM
Now that Scottish football’s raising of her skirts and letting TV companies as representatives of unfettered free market capitalism roger her senseless has scuppered the traditional New Year derby…

(Fixed that for you).

:agree:

O'Rourke3
28-12-2021, 09:08 AM

(Fixed that for you).This.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
28-12-2021, 09:14 AM

(Fixed that for you).

Pretty much.

linlithgowhibbie
28-12-2021, 10:35 AM
That’s not Colin is it?

It certainly is, black sheep of the family, or perhaps given the hoohaa going on in Linlithgow at the moment regarding our heritage, I should say that he is the non white sheep of the family!!

(See Greene King vs Black Bitch)

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-12-2021, 12:09 PM
Doesn't bother me, it's just another game and 3 points to be won, over on that apology of a fans website the seethe about us is remarkable, they hate us more than they love their own club, weirdos

green leaves
29-12-2021, 08:34 PM

Deary me.
The opening line must have came from Follow follow