PDA

View Full Version : How poor were Aberdeen last night?

theonlywayisup
23-12-2021, 11:43 AM
I've seen many Aberdeen teams over the years, but last night was by far the worst Aberdeen team I've watched.

They've had poor footballing teams in the past, but those teams still had a resilience to somehow get a result. However, not last night's team.

What a contrast to some of the 'great' Aberdeen teams of the past! I was lucky to be in Aberdeen during the Fergie years and often attended games, watching them thump the Old Firm, Hertz and (sadly) Hibs, plus teams from Europe.

Alan62
23-12-2021, 11:53 AM
Long may it continue. Under Derek McInnes, they were horrible to watch. Dirty and defensive. Glass has them trying to play more expansive football but I thought we managed the game well.

Tyler Durden
23-12-2021, 11:54 AM
On paper it wasn't a bad team they fielded but they were horrendous. The kinda performance that would have you worry for the manager.

Northernhibee
23-12-2021, 11:54 AM
Wholeheartedly disagree. They tried to play it on the deck, move it around but were matched by a team who looked to do the same and ultimately lost out from a set piece.

I used to live around the corner from Pittodrie and remember seeing some absolutely garbage Aberdeen sides in the late '00s and early '10s that were absolutely atrocious. This side isn't bad and given time I think Glass will be a decent appointment for them but he's undoing nearly a decade of dull, defensive football that ground out results but was ultimately hideous to watch.

Chorley Hibee
23-12-2021, 12:12 PM
It was two poor teams, but it was actually an improvement on the game at Pittodrie earlier in the season. That was utter garbage.

Centre Hawf
23-12-2021, 12:12 PM
I thought they were dreadful and as a result killed any real momentum in the game and helped make it a bit of a dull affair.

We weren't outstanding by any stretch of the imagination either mind but much better at getting it forward than them.

lord bunberry
23-12-2021, 12:23 PM
The young guy they had on the right side looked a cracking wee player, Doig struggled to stop him getting a cross in when Aberdeen were pushing forward at the end.

bigwheel
23-12-2021, 12:28 PM
The young guy they had on the right side looked a cracking wee player, Doig struggled to stop him getting a cross in when Aberdeen were pushing forward at the end.

That’s Ramsay, just back from injury but if he keeps fit, will definitely get a big move. Top talent . That said, over the second half I thought Doig just about matched him all the way ..both winning some battles

He's here!
23-12-2021, 12:29 PM
I've seen many Aberdeen teams over the years, but last night was by far the worst Aberdeen team I've watched.

They've had poor footballing teams in the past, but those teams still had a resilience to somehow get a result. However, not last night's team.

What a contrast to some of the 'great' Aberdeen teams of the past! I was lucky to be in Aberdeen during the Fergie years and often attended games, watching them thump the Old Firm, Hertz and (sadly) Hibs, plus teams from Europe.

By no means the worst. Any Aberdeen team suffers in comparison to Ferguson's but I remember them finishing bottom under Skovdahl and only being saved by reconsruction. Mark Mcghee's were also grim. Lost 9-0 to Celtic IIRC.

superfurryhibby
23-12-2021, 12:30 PM
Wholeheartedly disagree. They tried to play it on the deck, move it around but were matched by a team who looked to do the same and ultimately lost out from a set piece.

I used to live around the corner from Pittodrie and remember seeing some absolutely garbage Aberdeen sides in the late '00s and early '10s that were absolutely atrocious. This side isn't bad and given time I think Glass will be a decent appointment for them but he's undoing nearly a decade of dull, defensive football that ground out results but was ultimately hideous to watch.

Agree, typical mid table SPL teams. Aberdeen were a lot better than Dundee and our own play was better than we saw in our last game at ER.

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2021, 12:30 PM
It was two poor teams, but it was actually an improvement on the game at Pittodrie earlier in the season. That was utter garbage.

At least Hibs had some ideas. I don't think we were poor at all. If we'd had our first choice midfield fit, we'd have won even more easily.

Aberdeen had zero ideas at all, never threatened us at all other than the 1 header.

lord bunberry
23-12-2021, 12:31 PM
That’s Ramsay, just back from injury but if he keeps fit, will definitely get a big move. Top talent . That said, over the second half I thought Doig just about matched him all the way ..both winning some battles
:agree: Two good young players.

Scottie
23-12-2021, 12:32 PM
They missed Brown in the middle last night imo.

blackpoolhibs
23-12-2021, 12:40 PM
We were good, they couldnt win because we were better than them.

Sometimes its ok to say WE were the better side, and we won because of that, not because the opposition were poor.

Since452
23-12-2021, 01:38 PM
I thought they were better than us first half but we were better second. They seem very much back to the mid/lower half table Aberdeen I grew up with.

tamig
23-12-2021, 01:53 PM
We were good, they couldnt win because we were better than them.

Sometimes its ok to say WE were the better side, and we won because of that, not because the opposition were poor.

Interesting that the OP makes absolutely no positive comment about our performance. Pretty typical of a lot of stuff on here lately - “ we only won because they were pish/we were lucky etc”.

shetlandhibee
23-12-2021, 02:22 PM
Interesting that the OP makes absolutely no positive comment about our performance. Pretty typical of a lot of stuff on here lately - “ we only won because they were pish/we were lucky etc”.
exactly Aberdeen had won 6 of there previous 9 games! before last night...

Green_one
23-12-2021, 02:30 PM
We managed to out-foul them in the first half. A first as far as I am concerned.

They have lost some of their physicality and have limited quality. I thought Glass would struggle to emulate the previous manager. They do though, like Hearts, have independent additional funding.

loanheadhibby
23-12-2021, 02:34 PM
On paper it wasn't a bad team they fielded but they were horrendous. The kinda performance that would have you worry for the manager.

But being honest were we that much better?
Don't get me wrong it was great to get the three points but I didn't think there was much between the teams.

loanheadhibby
23-12-2021, 02:38 PM
At least Hibs had some ideas. I don't think we were poor at all. If we'd had our first choice midfield fit, we'd have won even more easily.

Aberdeen had zero ideas at all, never threatened us at all other than the 1 header.
What are you calling our first choice midfield?
As always I admire you're optimism but Newell and JDH are not good enough if we are going to challenge Hearts for 3rd.

blackpoolhibs
23-12-2021, 02:42 PM
As always I admire you're optimism but Newell and JDH are not good enough if we are going to challenge Hearts for 3rd.

I disagree, i think JDH could be a very good player for us with the right players alongside him, and he at least trys to go forward sometimes, and his passing is crisper than Newell's

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2021, 02:44 PM

Newell has already finished 3rd playing every week in this league so he literally is good enough.

Newell and Magennis would've played last night if fit. JDH would've continued playting if fit. Thats our first choice midfield. When they were all fit and playing together, we were cruising.

loanheadhibby
23-12-2021, 02:47 PM
I disagree, i think JDH could be a very good player for us with the right players alongside him, and he at least trys to go forward sometimes, and his passing is crisper than Newell's
Only time will tell but I don't see anything out of the ordinary in him.
He passes the ball back most of the time and like Newell is a non scoring midfielder.
We got him from St Mirren and that's what he is.
I hope I'm wrong about both.

JimBHibees
23-12-2021, 02:48 PM

Agree think JDH is a good player who will only get better alongside better

Since452
23-12-2021, 02:48 PM

Probably Magennis, JDH and Newell. An upgrade on Gogic, Allan and Campbell. I think Campbell is a decent young player but he'd not be playing if Magennis was available. Even still be beat them.

jacomo
23-12-2021, 03:05 PM
I don’t think Aberdeen were terrible, they made our front line very quiet without finding a way through themselves.

They worked a few openings against us and used the ball quite intelligently. The final ball was a bit off, but Macey still had a few saves to make.

Neither of us look particularly great at the moment, if that game had finished 1-1 I’m not sure we’d have had many complaints.

hibbyfraelibby
23-12-2021, 03:08 PM
If your opponents looked terrible it's because you make them look terrible...

Since90+2
23-12-2021, 03:17 PM
I don't think there was much between the teams at all to be honest. If they were terrible it doesn't say a great deal about our performance.

Tyler Durden
23-12-2021, 03:17 PM
But being honest were we that much better?
Don't get me wrong it was great to get the three points but I didn't think there was much between the teams.

No we weren't but there are mitigating circumstances. We have played every few days for a month and have a new manager trying to implement a new formation and ideas after 2 days training.

Aberdeen have a manager who had a full pre season and recruited 10 or so players and are now 6 months in. I was expecting them to come and pass the ball well and really threaten us. They were completely toothless and seemed generally disinterested. They didn't even pass the ball particularly well.

Hibee Mac
23-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Aberdeen are bang average, the difference between yesterday and our usual outing against them was that we kept the ball instead of shelling it to them under any form of pressure.

If you don't make it easy for them then they struggle. It was a fairly even showing last night but we did very well to limit them to a couple of half chances.

Bear in mind they've have months with Glass to get their style of play sorted, we had 2 days with Maloney after a cup final and still more than matched them with a clear improvement in our ball retention under pressure.

Winston Ingram
23-12-2021, 03:39 PM

They were awful. Right back to the pre-McInnes days.

allmodcons
23-12-2021, 03:56 PM

I agree with this.

I thought both teams tried to pass the ball last night but at times cancelled each other out.

I didn't think it was a great game but it was decent. Technically, both teams did alright. Ryan Porteous was really good, IMO his passing is as good as any central defender in the SPL.

On the downside, I thought the atmosphere was dreadful. The sooner Hibs stop broadcasting games on Hibs TV the better. It benefits me living, as I do, 170 miles from Easter Road but is killing matchday.

vuefrom1875
23-12-2021, 04:06 PM
Long may it continue. Under Derek McInnes, they were horrible to watch. Dirty and defensive. Glass has them trying to play more expansive football but I thought we managed the game well.

Spot on,had to endure that bunch of negatively for years,not to mention last minute winners/equalisers.Always a joy to horse them.

Keith_M
23-12-2021, 05:00 PM
I thought Aberdeen were quite impressive at pressuring and closing us down when we had the ball.

They also had a few chances but were (thankfully) quite wasteful.

ekhibee
23-12-2021, 10:54 PM

Yep, totally agree with this. I thought they were quite good, the passing was quick and sharp but the final product was the problem (thankfully). For me our best players yesterday were Porteous and Hanlon, both defenders, and I really don't think there was much between the teams at all. I was quite pleased to take 3 points from that game, we'll play far worse teams than Aberdeen.

theonlywayisup
24-12-2021, 06:57 AM
I think I must have been watching a different game. "Quite good"! "Quite impressive"! I doubt if the Aberdeen fans would be saying this.

I thought they were dreadful and I would have been very angry if I was an Aberdeen fans. If we had put so many aimless passes through to the opposition goalkeeper, made so many misplaced passes and created very little, I don't think there would be many on this forum saying "yes, we were quite impressive".

BoomtownHibees
24-12-2021, 07:10 AM
I think I must have been watching a different game. "Quite good"! "Quite impressive"! I doubt if the Aberdeen fans would be saying this.

I thought they were dreadful and I would have been very angry if I was an Aberdeen fans. If we had put so many aimless passes through to the opposition goalkeeper, made so many misplaced passes and created very little, I don't think there would be many on this forum saying "yes, we were quite impressive".

This is how I saw it as well. Also ties in with how Stephen Glass felt about their performance on the night

JimBHibees
24-12-2021, 08:19 AM

Thought they moved the ball reasonably well first half without threatening but second were much worse and their build up play was poor offering no threat at all bar one header. Some of the attempted through balls were very poor.

BILLYHIBS
24-12-2021, 08:24 AM
You can only beat what’s put in front of you

Happy to beat the Sheep any time no matter how it is achieved

Onwards and upwards

Nicho87
24-12-2021, 08:32 AM
In only two training sessions maloney got us beating Aberdeen. Like it or lump it Aberdeen are always a bit of a bogey team for hibs generally.

1-0 with a clean sheet and the style of football was 100x better after two days.

100% backing maloney. Talks well and hopefully the players listen and want to be part of it.

Libby Hibby
24-12-2021, 08:37 AM
In only two training sessions maloney got us beating Aberdeen. Like it or lump it Aberdeen are always a bit of a bogey team for hibs generally.

1-0 with a clean sheet and the style of football was 100x better after two days.

100% backing maloney. Talks well and hopefully the players listen and want to be part of it.

Can’t disagree with this.

There was a distinct press without the ball and there was a controlled but definite increase in tempo in possession…very early signs of an improvement.

superfurryhibby
24-12-2021, 08:48 AM
I think some folk are confusing the SPFL with the English Premiership (or whatever it's called).

Aberdeen weren't wonderful, nor were we. It looked like a typical mid table SPFL match with talent to suit that label. Aberdeen were better than Dundee and Hibs were improved from that night.

Hibernian Verse
24-12-2021, 09:15 AM
If your opponents looked terrible it's because you make them look terrible...

If we win, people acknowledge there were two teams on the park because the opponent must've played badly. If we lose or draw it's because Hibs are ***** and nothing to do with how well the opposition played.

It's getting worse and worse.

Hibernian Verse
24-12-2021, 09:16 AM

That is the most positive thing you've posted for about 2 years! If all it was going to take was getting rid of JR I'd have punted him months ago :greengrin

PH91
24-12-2021, 09:28 AM

That game was about the dullest we have had all season, maybe with the exception of the game at pitodrie. Other than a boyle freekick I'm not sure we had a shot.

That isn't in any way a dig at maloney as he has only had a couple of days to prepare and it was a great 3 points but saying the style of football was 100x better is the epitome of seeing what you want to see.

Since452
24-12-2021, 09:31 AM
That game was about the dullest we have had all season, maybe with the exception of the game at pitodrie. Other than a boyle freekick I'm not sure we had a shot.

That isn't in any way a dig at maloney as he has only had a couple of days to prepare and it was a great 3 points but saying the style of football was 100x better is the epitome of seeing what you want to see.

I thought we were very poor first half. Not much better second half but I'll take any kind of win. Might have been a case of both teams cancelling each other out but thought it was a grim game.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2021, 09:34 AM

Dunno about that. Certainly more exciting that any of our home defeats. We had a few chances, Nisbet should've scored (another) easy headed chance.

B.H.F.C
24-12-2021, 09:48 AM

I watched his Hibs TV interview after the game and liked what he said. Very much a ‘well done but we need to go again’ type of thing. Because he’s quite soft spoken I think there was a feeling that’s how he might be but I think he’s going to be pretty demanding of them.

PH91
24-12-2021, 10:05 AM
Dunno about that. Certainly more exciting that any of our home defeats. We had a few chances, Nisbet should've scored (another) easy headed chance.

I had to remind myself it's only dundee utd and celtic we have lost to. Celtic first half was atrocious. I dont remember the dundee utd game being a particulalry boring game just we played pretty poorly. Woods also kept things 'interesting'!

In any case, I just think calling a dull tactical battle where we worked hard for a clean sheet, created 1 chance and scored from a corner 100x better doesn't quite stack up. Good to see some emthusiasm is back within the support though.

Shrekko
24-12-2021, 10:25 AM
I had to remind myself it's only dundee utd and celtic we have lost to. Celtic first half was atrocious. I dont remember the dundee utd game being a particulalry boring game just we played pretty poorly. Woods also kept things 'interesting'!

In any case, I just think calling a dull tactical battle where we worked hard for a clean sheet, created 1 chance and scored from a corner 100x better doesn't quite stack up. Good to see some emthusiasm is back within the support though.

Probably speaks volumes with regards how badly some people wanted change that there is so much positive talk around Wednesday.

I was over the moon with the 3 points and thought we defended well but it was a woeful game of football. Can’t blame that on a new management team but some of the slack play and sparse crowd was back to the really bad days so let’s hope it picks up very soon. This team needs an injection of freshness.