PDA

View Full Version : Fans tonight

maturehibby
22-12-2021, 11:05 PM
In spite of them being a bit sparse in parts of the ground the ones that did attend got right behind the team tonight and were the 12th man/woman tonight.
The players I am sure were helped by this .
Also the Dons fans were there in numbers tonight and were quite vocal too which added to the atmosphere

H18 SFR
22-12-2021, 11:06 PM
I really enjoyed tonight.

Shrekko
22-12-2021, 11:11 PM
Team always do better when the fans are positive.

Pity there weren’t more there but really good backing from those who made it.

Unseen work
22-12-2021, 11:11 PM
What was the actual attendance tonight?

OstKurve Hibs
22-12-2021, 11:14 PM
What was the actual attendance tonight?

Said over 14k on the screens but estimate 8k at most

Was pretty sparse around the famous five end of the east stand where I sit and all season ticket holders to.

houstonhibbee
22-12-2021, 11:44 PM
Said over 14k on the screens but estimate 8k at most

Was pretty sparse around the famous five end of the east stand where I sit and all season ticket holders to.
If our play continues to be more expansive combined with some good wins they'll come flocking back...........

lord bunberry
22-12-2021, 11:47 PM
Last Christmas I gave you my heart
the very next day you gave it away
this year to save me from tears
ill give it Shaun Maloney
hibees hibees hibees hibees hibees

wookie70
23-12-2021, 12:07 AM
Thought the fans were supportive of the new style despite a few passages of play where our passing could have got us in bother.

Criswell
23-12-2021, 12:44 AM
I've been a season ticket holder for many years. ( still am) I would love to get back to ER and support the the team. Unfortunately, I have health issues so I have to be careful. Will be back of course when this is all over.

JoeT
23-12-2021, 12:55 AM
I've been a season ticket holder for many years. ( still am) I would love to get back to ER and support the the team. Unfortunately, I have health issues so I have to be careful. Will be back of course when this is all over.

You are appreciated. Take care my friend

Crunchie
23-12-2021, 04:49 AM
If our play continues to be more expansive combined with some good wins they'll come flocking back...........
No matter how well they're playing COVID will still be a massive factor in non attendance, as will free HibsTV for ST holders.

timewilltell
23-12-2021, 05:30 AM
No matter how well they're playing COVID will still be a massive factor in non attendance, as will free HibsTV for ST holders.

I accept covid is an issue for some but there's no doubt it doesn't seem to be a factor in England where premiership grounds, are full every week.

Keith_M
23-12-2021, 06:57 AM

That would have sounded OK, if the Celtc Fans hadn't just sung the same song for Postecoglou on Sunday.

Since90+2
23-12-2021, 06:58 AM
That would have sounded OK, if the Celtc Fans hadn't just sung the same song for Postecoglou on Sunday.

That's fine. Celtic themselves have a history of stealing things.

JimBHibees
23-12-2021, 07:01 AM

That was brilliant at the end. Well done fans :thumbsup:

Brunswickbill
23-12-2021, 07:05 AM

Exactly. I live in the Wild West, part of the Lost Tribe WOSHSC. So it’s a fair trip to Easter Road. Bought a season ticket for 20/21 season with no real hope of seeing my seat. Renewed for this season but with the way things are I have little hope of sitting in it this season. Home matches on TV have been a saviour for me.

Chorley Hibee
23-12-2021, 07:12 AM
I accept covid is an issue for some but there's no doubt it doesn't seem to be a factor in England where premiership grounds, are full every week.

That's not true, I saw Gary Neville comment that there were circa 10,000 empty seats in the upper tiers of White Hart Lane at the weekend.

Crunchie
23-12-2021, 07:13 AM
That's a very valid point and no idea why that's the case tbh.

Rick Rude
23-12-2021, 07:13 AM

And Celtic fans singing it would have sounded ok if it wasn't for all the clubs in England that have sang it for various players and managers for years.

Brunswickbill
23-12-2021, 07:17 AM

Because in England they act as if Covid has gone away. Freedom day and all that.

theonlywayisup
23-12-2021, 07:57 AM
Yes, fans were good last night.

I know this is going to be controversial, but it's not intended to be. I've always maintained that the Hibees have around 6,000 to 8,000 supporters that will support their team through the bad days. However, there is probably double that and more who will support during the good days, but when the going gets tough they drift away, seemingly giving any number of reasons why they didn't attend - the football is rubbish, the atmosphere is like a library, don't like the manager/players, it's too cold, it's just before Christmas, it's a school night etc etc.

Not meaning to be critical of anyone, as I've been in that camp myself when the kids were young. Obviously, recently there's a very good reason not to attend in Covid-19, but that's not the reason why approximately 10,000 fans have stopped attending from the good days to the bad days.

Really don't know if there is an answer to this, but how do we get more supporters into the ground, when the going gets tough (i.e. when not playing well etc).

Hibernian Verse
23-12-2021, 08:02 AM

I know this is going to be controversial, but it's not intended to be. I've always maintained that the Hibees have around 6,000 to 8,000 supporters that will support their team through the bad days. However, there is probably double that and more who will support during the good days, but when the going gets tough they drift away, seemingly giving any number of reasons why they didn't attend - the football is rubbish, the atmosphere is like a library, don't like the manager/players, it's too cold, it's just before Christmas, it's a school night etc etc.

Not meaning to be critical of anyone, as I've been in that camp myself when the kids were young. Obviously, recently there's a very good reason not to attend in Covid-19, but that's not the reason why approximately 10,000 fans have stopped attending from the good days to the bad days.

Really don't know if there is an answer to this, but how do we get more supporters into the ground, when the going gets tough (i.e. when not playing well etc).

We can't, unfortunately. They were all there on Sunday though!

WestCoastHibby
23-12-2021, 08:15 AM
Make it cheaper works for me

loanheadhibby
23-12-2021, 08:15 AM
For anyone worried about Covid effect. I travelled by car to game last night, short walk to ground via Sainsburys, straight in to game and to my seat in West Upper. Mask on in all public places and same after game.

Never at any point felt at risk and probably feel more at risk going to Supermarket.

The Covid factor may not be as bad as people are imagining at the game. Appreciate everyone has their own routes/routine.

Pagan Hibernia
23-12-2021, 08:49 AM

just not gonna happen to be honest. Covid has a part to play in the current crowd slump but it’s obvious the key to filling Easter road is an exciting team that wins games (including against the OF and especially hearts). And the club simply have to look at ticket prices. It’s not just Hibs that are digging the hand in these days but it’s very overpriced for Scottish football.

OstKurve Hibs
23-12-2021, 08:52 AM
We can't, unfortunately. They were all there on Sunday though!

Hit the nail on the head there.
Fans were good last nite, shame about half the support leavin about 5 mins before the 90 is up though but each to their own.

Green_one
23-12-2021, 08:56 AM
That's fine. Celtic themselves have a history of stealing things.

Made me laugh :wink:

bigwheel
23-12-2021, 08:59 AM

And Aberdeen for Glass last night ..

.Sean.
23-12-2021, 09:01 AM

Really don't know if there is an answer to this, but how do we get more supporters into the ground, when the going gets tough (i.e. when not playing well etc).The answer is having a look at the frankly ridiculous ticket prices. People and indeed families who have followed the club for years and years are being priced out.

dp00
23-12-2021, 09:05 AM
People being worried about catching covid before Christmas will have played a massive part last night and tbh who can blame them however someone told me it was £32 for a ticket last night which if true is redic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibernian Verse
23-12-2021, 09:06 AM
The answer is having a look at the frankly ridiculous ticket prices. People and indeed families who have followed the club for years and years are being priced out.

This won't happen, as much as it would help some people out, because it doesn't make business sense. Sadly, it just wouldn't make a material difference to the crowd and the club would be out of pocket. If Hibs are winning and playing exciting football then the people will come.

The cup final was £40 in some areas and we still took 19,000 people through.

Crab apple
23-12-2021, 09:08 AM
In spite of them being a bit sparse in parts of the ground the ones that did attend got right behind the team tonight and were the 12th man/woman tonight.
The players I am sure were helped by this .
Also the Dons fans were there in numbers tonight and were quite vocal too which added to the atmosphere

Great reception at the end from the crowd when Maloney and the players came over to the east.

Good on the sheep fans for travelling in numbers last night and adding to the atmosphere. Save for that smoke bomb at the start, which seemed to linger in the air for ages. And they're clearly not happy with the forthcoming restrictions as there were quite a few 'F..k the SFA' chants from them.

.Sean.
23-12-2021, 09:10 AM
This won't happen, as much as it would help some people out, because it doesn't make business sense. Sadly, it just wouldn't make a material difference to the crowd and the club would be out of pocket. If Hibs are winning and playing exciting football then the people will come.

The Cup Final was a cup final. Of course folk will pay that.

It would have cost a paying adult and child the best part of 50 quid to go last night. If you think that’s a fair price then I’d love your level of disposable income in my pockets

Hibernian Verse
23-12-2021, 09:13 AM
The Cup Final was a cup final. Of course folk will pay that

That's what I mean, though. It's an occasion worth paying for and if we were winning, up in 3rd and playing entertaining football it would be worth paying for too.

Quite frankly, the football on offer this season has barely been worth £10 since Ibrox, but if we can improve it and start being consistent winners then £30 becomes worth it and an enjoyable experience for everyone.

I didn't see your edit before I posted this but I think we agree...

Since90+2
£32 for Hibs v Aberdeen is ridiculous. How the club can actually think that represents value is beyond me.

marinello59
The answer is having a look at the frankly ridiculous ticket prices. People and indeed families who have followed the club for years and years are being priced out.

Spot on.

.Sean.
23-12-2021, 09:16 AM
That's what I mean, though. It's an occasion worth paying for and if we were winning, up in 3rd and playing entertaining football it would be worth paying for too.

Quite frankly, the football on offer this season has barely been worth £10 since Ibrox, but if we can improve it and start being consistent winners then £30 becomes worth it and an enjoyable experience for everyone.

I didn't see your edit before I posted this but I think we agree...
I think it’s finding the balance mate. People will probably pay slightly more than what they can afford if we’re playing well and winning, but there’s still a cut off point when too much is too much for most folk.

I_Love_Latapy
23-12-2021, 09:17 AM
For anyone worried about Covid effect. I travelled by car to game last night, short walk to ground via Sainsburys, straight in to game and to my seat in West Upper. Mask on in all public places and same after game.

Never at any point felt at risk and probably feel more at risk going to Supermarket.

The Covid factor may not be as bad as people are imagining at the game. Appreciate everyone has their own routes/routine.

I had the same experience. Felt very low risk so long as you took your time and avoided the crowds (and the pub).

Hibernian Verse
23-12-2021, 09:18 AM
I think it’s finding the balance mate. People will probably pay slightly more than what they can afford if we’re playing well and winning, but there’s still a cut off point when too much is too much for most folk.

Yeah I understand that. I just don't think it's going to happen. I've checked Hearts' walk up prices and its £31 for their Cat A games so £1 less, but they are filling their ground (or were before Nicola stepped in) because they're flying and 7 points above us in third.

Pagan Hibernia
23-12-2021, 09:24 AM
As far as ticket prices are concerned there simply has to be a cut off for people. You can’t just keep raising the price indefinitely. People only have so much money and if you don’t have it you don’t have it.

equally concerning is the no show ST holders who have already paid their money but aren’t going. Could these people be contacted by the club and simply asked the question? Obviously not in a judgmental “why the f*** did ya not turn up last night” kind of way, but a simple “what can we do to get you back to Easter Road?” sort of way?

it might give us more of an idea as to what’s going on.

overdrive
23-12-2021, 09:25 AM

Yep, I felt much less safe in Tesco yesterday afternoon than I did at the match.

Only thing I’d say is that there was hardly anyone wearing a mask in the concourse.

HH81
23-12-2021, 09:30 AM
Yeah I understand that. I just don't think it's going to happen. I've checked Hearts' walk up prices and its £31 for their Cat A games so £1 less, but they are filling their ground (or were before Nicola stepped in) because they're flying and 7 points above us in third.

Think last night was cat B not A?

Keith_M
23-12-2021, 09:42 AM
As far as ticket prices are concerned there simply has to be a cut off for people. You can’t just keep raising the price indefinitely. People only have so much money and if you don’t have it you don’t have it.

equally concerning is the no show ST holders who have already paid their money but aren’t going. Could these people be contacted by the club and simply asked the question? Obviously not in a judgmental “why the f*** did ya not turn up last night” kind of way, but a simple “what can we do to get you back to Easter Road?” sort of way?

The difference between the attendance figure announced last night and the actual number that turned up must be at least 4,000.

That's (mostly) Season Ticket Holders that chose the option to watch at home instead.

I'm not sure how you can persuade them to attend in person other than removing the right to view it on TV, which seems a bit extreme in the circumstances.

Frazerbob
23-12-2021, 09:45 AM
You’re lucky if there was 6k home fans last night. Smallest crowd at ER for a league game in years. (Excluding closed doors before someone pipes up)

Hibernian Verse
23-12-2021, 09:48 AM
Think last night was cat B not A?

I thought Cat A was Utd, Aberdeen, Rangers, Celtic, Hearts. Might be completely wrong!

HH81
23-12-2021, 09:49 AM
I thought Cat A was Utd, Aberdeen, Rangers, Celtic, Hearts. Might be completely wrong!

I believe Dundee United and Aberdeen is cat B, others on list are A and price is up to 36quid for A.

I could be wrong too to be fair. 😁

Frazerbob
23-12-2021, 09:50 AM
Pal bought a ticket last night for the game. £30. Jokeshop!

WhileTheChief..
23-12-2021, 09:52 AM

I know a few ST holders aged 70+.

They are hesitant just now because of Covid, so have mostly been watching games on Hibs TV.

They're not overly keen to hurry back, i'm not sure when they will feel comfortable to.

Hibernian Verse
23-12-2021, 09:53 AM
I believe Dundee United and Aberdeen is cat B, others on list are A and price is up to 36quid for A.

I could be wrong too to be fair. 😁

I see. Hearts include Aberdeen in their A games, so my point still kind of stands :greengrin

Brightside
23-12-2021, 09:53 AM
It’s not ticket prices that stop STs turning up.

I_Love_Latapy
23-12-2021, 09:57 AM
The day I understand our fans is the day I will stop watching!

Deadly silent first half. "Is this a library?" from Dons was fair, if a bit rich if anyone's been to a home game at Pittodrie.

We chirped up a bit after the goal went in, became more rousing as it became clear we were actually going to hold on to the lead.

"We only sing when we're winning"?!

I_Love_Latapy
23-12-2021, 10:00 AM

I assume the Club have all the stats from the ticket system on % of STs not coming vs number of ticket sales via bundles/one off. Would be interesting to know but no chance of finding out I guess.

chippy
23-12-2021, 10:06 AM

Im going to explore a hazmat type hood/ air purifier . Saw one on Twitter other day in an English nhs hospital. Currently ones in USA cost a few hundred , this guy reckons he can do them for £40 with some investment

Jones28
23-12-2021, 10:18 AM

The price takes away the spontaneity of going to games: if you're a tourist in Edinburgh and want to go to a match but seeing the cheapest ticket is nearly £30 it would certainly make me think twice.

Re the cup final: £40 is small beans to see your team lift a trophy.

mjhibby
23-12-2021, 10:31 AM

Deadly silent first half. "Is this a library?" from Dons was fair, if a bit rich if anyone's been to a home game at Pittodrie.

We chirped up a bit after the goal went in, became more rousing as it became clear we were actually going to hold on to the lead.

Who would have thought it. Cheering your team on helps the team. .net has become a very fraught place recently and some folk seem only happy when they have a right good moan. I'm slwaus a positive guy and seven points out of nine and a decent final performance shows were not as bad as many try to make us. We've never had a settled team for a while and of course the injuries to Cadden,doidge and especially mcginnes have disrupted an already light squad. With muller and tait in in January and hopefully doidge fitter and Kyle back in the fold things are looking up. We certainly need to ship out scott and get someone in who will challenge the front two for places. To be 2 points off fourth after a horrendous run shows how little there is between from third to seventh. Hearts have been lucky with injuries as have the Arabs up until recently. I can see us having a strong jan/Feb and be in strong contention for Europe come May. Ross was unlucky with injuries and the likes of porteous sending off etc. We move on to the maloney era. Let's get right behind him and hopefully we become a good team to watch but still need results of course.
Ggtth.

JimBHibees
23-12-2021, 11:11 AM

One of the factors I would have thought Covid season ticket tv access and entertainment

Blaster
23-12-2021, 11:16 AM

I know of 8 season ticket holders who couldn’t go last night due to having Covid or having to isolate

Lago
23-12-2021, 11:21 AM
One of the factors I would have thought Covid season ticket tv access and entertainment
Yip people getting comfortable and use to watching games on TV rather than at ER in person.

Keith_M
23-12-2021, 11:27 AM

I know of 8 season ticket holders who couldn’t go last night due to having Covid or having to isolate

Yip people getting comfortable and use to watching games on TV rather than at ER in person.

So you agree with him, that it's not prices that stop Season Ticket holders turning up?

:wink:

BoomtownHibees
23-12-2021, 11:28 AM
And Aberdeen for Glass last night ..

And that was *****, trying to put Stephen Glass in to 4 syllables “Stephen Gla-ass”

gaz1875
23-12-2021, 11:48 AM

3 from 10 season ticket holders I know turned up yesterday, not because they have Covid, but avoiding an opportunity of catching it before meeting elderly family on Christmas Day.

GreenCastle
23-12-2021, 11:51 AM
December has been an expensive month for Hibs fans.

Anyone able to work out how much it’s cost the average fan ?

Regarding crowds..in no order

Some folk still worried about covid / or can’t attend for health reasons.
Hibs TV
Cost
Mixed performances

These are the 4 areas that will affect crowds.

Logie Green
23-12-2021, 11:54 AM

True but on the assumption that ST prices will probably go up for next season it will be interesting to see how many don’t renew given nobody got to go to games last season and many are choosing not to go this season.

The prices in general are too high and clubs, including Hibs, are in danger of alienating people because of this.

gaz1875
23-12-2021, 11:56 AM
The price takes away the spontaneity of going to games: if you're a tourist in Edinburgh and want to go to a match but seeing the cheapest ticket is nearly £30 it would certainly make me think twice.

Re the cup final: £40 is small beans to see your team lift a trophy.

Absolutely this especially lower key games.

Chuck Rhoades
23-12-2021, 12:03 PM

December is notorious for this. A thread every year. It is possible for people to have lives outside of Hibs. I met friends for a pre-christmas Indian last night and missed the match. Yes, would have like to have done both but made a choice. Plenty folk busy / skint in December.

The single biggest contributor to more fans is better results. Look at attendances post-SC win and in Lennon era.

I mean actual folk in stadium as opposed to tickets sold. It was packed.

davhibby
23-12-2021, 12:04 PM
Ron needs to realise the prices are too high if he wants his dream of us nearly selling out every week. If the price brackets were slightly lower you’d have a lot less resistance. There’s a point where people look at the price and decide it’s not worth it. Something like £24-26 for the run of the mill games, £26/27-£29 for Aberdeen/Dundee Utd and £29-32 for Cat A games would be seen as more acceptable and in keeping with what’s being charged elsewhere.

Chuck Rhoades
23-12-2021, 12:05 PM
Current prices do nothing to persuade a non-ST holder.

Before Christmas
Game every 3-4 says in December
Miserable weather
Financially constrained month
Covid
Poor performance past couple months

You look at that and go, OK, I’ll still go.

Then you see £32 and go f*** that!

Keith_M
23-12-2021, 12:05 PM
I'm sure we're not the only side with sparse attendances just now.

I'd imagine there are similar discussions going on on various football message boards.

JimBHibees
23-12-2021, 12:06 PM
So you agree with him, that it's not prices that stop Season Ticket holders turning up?

:wink:

Partly :greengrin

Chorley Hibee
23-12-2021, 12:07 PM
Whilst I agree with most of the above, another point has to be the scheduling of fixtures at this time of year.

Hibs have played 10 games in the last calendar month, that's absolutely ridiculous.

h1bs4life
23-12-2021, 12:22 PM

Not sure what you are expecting , I was in the famous five upper and could hear the young team throughout the game with other parts joining in over the 90 minutes.
It was a good effort by everyone who turned up in difficult circumstances and good on the young team putting in a good effort

DIXIHIBS
23-12-2021, 01:02 PM
I think sometimes people confuse atmosphere with singing. You can have a great atmosphere without non stop singing. Cheering tackles,corners etc all helps lift the team.

eastterrace
23-12-2021, 02:22 PM
True but on the assumption that ST prices will probably go up for next season it will be interesting to see how many don’t renew given nobody got to go to games last season and many are choosing not to go this season.

The prices in general are too high and clubs, including Hibs, are in danger of alienating people because of this.
Ron better think again about wanting to put up season tickets as we already had an increase. I was paying 420 then my aged changed to 65 so season ticket was about 210 if I remember correctly. Then this season it was 275 so that was a big increase and my wife season ticket went up as well to 440. I would seriously consider no getting one if he does increase again and just pick and chose games.

PolmontHibby
23-12-2021, 02:51 PM
December has been an expensive month for Hibs fans.

Anyone able to work out how much it’s cost the average fan ?

Regarding crowds..in no order

Some folk still worried about covid / or can’t attend for health reasons.
Hibs TV
Cost
Mixed performances

These are the 4 areas that will affect crowds.

All valid and I would add one more - games not being on a Saturday.
Workwise I find it difficult to make any other game other than a Saturday - and with only 4 out of 11 games this season being on a Saturday not great (and two missed for other reasons - these things happen) I have been to a total of 2 out of 11 on my season ticket.

I will no doubt buy a season as always do....but been questioning it for years, e.g. stop season and go to hospitality a few times a season instead for same cost.

Logie Green
23-12-2021, 03:03 PM
Ron better think again about wanting to put up season tickets as we already had an increase. I was paying 420 then my aged changed to 65 so season ticket was about 210 if I remember correctly. Then this season it was 275 so that was a big increase and my wife season ticket went up as well to 440. I would seriously consider no getting one if he does increase again and just pick and chose games.

If the price of a Season Ticket does go up, especially disproportionately, I suspect you won’t be alone in your thinking.

It leads to the next issue for current ST holders who give up
their ST - would you pay £35 or whatever for league matches as a ‘walk-up’ even it they are ‘Category A’ ones?

As I said Hibs and other clubs are pushing prices beyond the ‘ordinary’ supporter and are in danger of losing a few regulars.

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2021, 03:39 PM

English teams have significantly more fans. If a fan cant attend, another is waiting to take their seat.

Shrekko
23-12-2021, 09:23 PM
December is notorious for this. A thread every year. It is possible for people to have lives outside of Hibs. I met friends for a pre-christmas Indian last night and missed the match. Yes, would have like to have done both but made a choice. Plenty folk busy / skint in December.

The single biggest contributor to more fans is better results. Look at attendances post-SC win and in Lennon era.

I mean actual folk in stadium as opposed to tickets sold. It was packed.

We were getting good results at the start of this season and playing well and still getting poor crowds. We weren’t even selling out restricted capacity games.

From what I see - most SPFL teams seem to be getting fairly normal crowds.

gaz1875
24-12-2021, 11:30 AM
We were getting good results at the start of this season and playing well and still getting poor crowds. We weren’t even selling out restricted capacity games.

From what I see - most SPFL teams seem to be getting fairly normal crowds.

If you watch the highlights of the other matches there are plenty empty seats in the stands despite normal attendance figures being normal.

andrew70
24-12-2021, 01:26 PM
I understand the reservations about ticket prices but two things quantify this.

Should we see a remarkable increase in playing budget along with a higher future turnover (as mooted by RG) then it’s surely worth it?

As has already been stated a better offering will bring more back to the table.

I think we’d all be happy with that but does RG need to show his hand first or do we speculate by spectating before any improvements to give him the money to play with?

Shrekko
24-12-2021, 01:36 PM
I understand the reservations about ticket prices but two things quantify this.

Should we see a remarkable increase in playing budget along with a higher future turnover (as mooted by RG) then it’s surely worth it?

As has already been stated a better offering will bring more back to the table.

I think we’d all be happy with that but does RG need to show his hand first or do we speculate by spectating before any improvements to give him the money to play with?

Gate receipts are massive to Scottish clubs.

People who think they can just sit back and wait to see these huge improvements on the park everyone seems to think are possible before deciding to go back are deluding themselves. Lower crowds will mean less to spend on quality players.

andrew70
24-12-2021, 01:39 PM
Gate receipts are massive to Scottish clubs.

People who think they can just sit back and wait to see these huge improvements on the park everyone seems to think are possible before deciding to go back are deluding themselves. Lower crowds will mean less to spend on quality players.

Got to agree.

The pricing structure is aimed fully at taking us to the next level.

It’s time our waning support got behind it.