PDA

View Full Version : Porteous, Hanlon and Stevenson

BegbieHSC
19-12-2021, 05:55 PM
Outstanding! Real drive, and played for the badge today.

We lost, I know, but take in to account our circumstances. We don’t have a manager, with our previous manager booted for a bad run of form. We played better than our circumstances.

Those 3 players deserve a ton of credit - charging runs and passion at the dying embers of the game. There’s been question marks about Paul’s captaincy, but today he looked like a real leader, leading by example.

I’ve not saw any of Celtic’s goals, mainly because they happened so quickly, so can’t comment on whether any of the 3 were at fault, but even still - these guys played with their hearts on their sleeves, so deserve credit for that. The exact opposite of what we saw from players during our last cup final.

Chins up, and onwards and upwards lads

Onion
19-12-2021, 05:57 PM
Agreed ! Hanlon's best performance at Hampden by a mile - he was immense and did not deserve to be on the losing side. Porto and Lewis were also outstanding .

Pete
19-12-2021, 05:57 PM
Outstanding! Real drive, and played for the badge today.

We lost, I know, but take in to account our circumstances. We don’t have a manager, with our previous manager booted for a bad run of form. We played better than our circumstances.

Those 3 players deserve a ton of credit - charging runs and passion at the dying embers of the game. There’s been question marks about Paul’s captaincy, but today he looked like a real leader, leading by example.

I’ve not saw any of Celtic’s goals, mainly because they happened so quickly, so can’t comment on whether any of the 3 were at fault, but even still - these guys played with their hearts on their sleeves, so deserve credit for that. The exact opposite of what we saw from players during our last cup final.

Chins up, and onwards and upwards lads

Well said

lyonhibs
19-12-2021, 05:58 PM
Porteous distribution from the back was grim for most of the game but, unlike others, you can't fault the drive, determination and effort of any of those 3.

18Craig75
19-12-2021, 06:05 PM
All 3 of them sleeping at both goals. Get the basics right then do the rest.

Swedish hibee
19-12-2021, 06:10 PM
Yep Hanlon, Stevenson & Mcginn. But no doubt this thread will get slated by many who disagree.

tam4hibs
19-12-2021, 06:20 PM
Eh… and what about the CBS positioning for the goals we concede from a simple lob over the back?

Sentiment only gets you so far. Time for New Heroes.

AL-Qaholik
19-12-2021, 06:21 PM
We conceded 2 goals because our entire defence switched off.
That some people call this outstanding is why we’ll always fail.

Brightside
19-12-2021, 06:22 PM
Yes. More of this. Drive drive drive. All came from our captain.

tam4hibs
19-12-2021, 06:23 PM
Yes. More of this. Drive drive drive. All came from our captain.

All drive. Agree.
Unless of course we are defending an easy ball. Then stand picking yer nose.

To switch off on a cup final does not merit praise at all.

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 06:25 PM
All drive. Agree.
Unless of course we are defending an easy ball. Then stand picking her nose.

Yip. We lost that game because of our defence switching of like amateurs and conceding 2 goals. Was almost comically bad yet to some that is "outstanding". Baffling.

S4uzee
19-12-2021, 06:25 PM
Feel for Hanlon after today, he must be gutted

St.Kristopher
19-12-2021, 06:27 PM

Paul McGinn got booked after the second. He was protesting cause the 4th official put the suns board up, so all the Hibs players stopped, but the ref then let Celtic take the free kick.

tam4hibs
Feel for Hanlon after today, he must be gutted

Should be used to it by now as one of the lost constant issues in big defeats. Good goal. Some great defending.

Then Paul Hanlon defending. Pointing, no running, no cover and looking up to the sky wondering where it all went wrong.

MWHIBBIES

Yeah, comments on messageboards are why Hibs lose cup finals.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 06:28 PM
Should be used to it by now as one of the lost constant issues in big defeats. Good goal. Some great defending.

Then Paul Hanlon defending. Pointing, no running, no cover and looking up to the sky wondering where it all went wrong.

One of the constants in many big wins, too. Almost as if thats how football ****ing works.

Northernhibee
19-12-2021, 06:30 PM

Good to admit that you know nothing about football straight away, decent of you.

tam4hibs
19-12-2021, 06:30 PM
One of the constants in many big wins, too. Almost as if thats how football ****ing works.

One? One cup win.
Lost against Hearts, Ross county, Celtic (numerous) st J, etc etc.

Like I said, full of sentiment on here but people should open their eyes to that defending. Not saying he was the worst, think he played well, but conceded way to easily and certainly I would be putting up a thread offering praise

All about options though eh?

tam4hibs
19-12-2021, 06:32 PM
Good to admit that you know nothing about football straight away, decent of you.

Sorry bud. Post your football credentials at the bottom of your replies.

Must be cracking,

As said, all about opinions.

‘You must know nothing about football’ too eh?

Brightside
19-12-2021, 06:36 PM
All drive. Agree.
Unless of course we are defending an easy ball. Then stand picking yer nose.

To switch off on a cup final does not merit praise at all.

Find another team

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 06:37 PM
One? One cup win.
Lost against Hearts, Ross county, Celtic (numerous) st J, etc etc.

Like I said, full of sentiment on here but people should open their eyes to that defending. Not saying he was the worst, think he played well, but conceded way to easily and certainly I would be putting up a thread offering praise

All about options though eh?

One :faf:

Do you actually only think cup finals are the big games? Hanlon has played a great part in many, many big wins for Hibs. A club legend.

Northernhibee
19-12-2021, 06:41 PM
Sorry bud. Post your football credentials at the bottom of your replies.

Must be cracking,

As said, all about opinions.

‘You must know nothing about football’ too eh?

Aye, and your opinion is shocking.

You get to be a constant in a team by being a consistent and reliable player.

tam4hibs
19-12-2021, 06:44 PM
Aye, and your opinion is shocking.

You get to be a constant in a team by being a consistent and reliable player.

Fair enough. My opinion is shocking. Probably not the only one with that view

I think yours is shocking.

I think switching off (twice) in a cup final is shocking.

But hey ho. Football Knowledge.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 06:45 PM

Hanlon at worst switched off once. Their first was nowhere near him.

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 06:46 PM

As harsh as it is, that's all it can take to lose major finals. It's also the difference between top level players and others.

tam4hibs
19-12-2021, 06:47 PM

And that’s one time too many in a cup final for me.

Switching off in a cup final. That’s rare for any professional.

mcohibs
19-12-2021, 06:48 PM
I assume this post is a wind up? Lost count of the number of goals Porteous has cost us this season.

Watch back the game against Celtic at Easter Road. At fault for 3 of their goals. Caught sleeping again for 2 today. Brutal.

hibee_girl
19-12-2021, 06:48 PM
All three of them burst a gut today, Porteous at the end was like a man on a mission, you could see what it meant to him.

Stevenson is playing better with every game at the minute.

tam4hibs
19-12-2021, 06:49 PM
As harsh as it is, that's all it can take to lose major finals. It's also the difference between top level players and others.

It is harsh. Agree with you.

I never singled out Hanlon for criticism, just felt it’s wide of the mark by putting out a thread of praise for him - either one mistake or two.

Not for me. Difference between winning and losing. (One many fine margins TBF)

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 06:49 PM

And that’s one time too many in a cup final for me.

Switching off in a cup final. That’s rare for any professional.

Its really not. Darren Mcgregor totally switched off in the 2016 final. It happens. Darren got away with it then, Paul didn't today. If a Celtic player doesn't switch off we don't score either.

JimboHibs
19-12-2021, 06:50 PM
Find another team

The defence were looking for another team.

heretoday
19-12-2021, 06:51 PM
All three of them burst a gut today, Porteous at the end was like a man on a mission, you could see what it meant to him.

Stevenson is playing better with every game at the minute.
He certainly is. I was disappointed when he went off.

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 06:52 PM
Its really not. Darren Mcgregor totally switched off in the 2016 final. It happens. Darren got away with it then, Paul didn't today. If a Celtic player doesn't switch off we don't score either.

Darren isn't a top level player either. He'd say that himself. The issue is we have people telling us Hanlon is outstanding. He's clearly not.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 06:53 PM
Darren isn't a top level player either. He'd say that himself. The issue is we have people telling us Hanlon is outstanding. He's clearly not.

Both of them have been excellent defenders for the level Hibs are at and want to be at. Key players in the highest high this club has achieved since the 50s.

hibee_girl
19-12-2021, 06:54 PM
He certainly is. I was disappointed when he went off.

Same, I would have had Doig on for Murphy playing in front of Lewis.

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 06:58 PM
Both of them have been excellent defenders for the level Hibs are at and want to be at. Key players in the highest high this club has achieved since the 50s.

Hibs have finished 3rd once in 15 years and won 1 trophy in 15 years. Is that really the level Hibs want to be at?

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 07:01 PM
Hibs have finished 3rd once in 15 years and won 1 trophy in 15 years. Is that really the level Hibs want to be at?

Or have Hibs finished 3rd, 4th and 5th, won a cup and been in 3 other finals since 2016? the last 5 years.

Thats the level I want Hibs at. Hanlon a key player throughout.

loanheadhibby
19-12-2021, 07:02 PM
Or have Hibs finished 3rd, 4th and 5th, won a cup and been in 3 other finals since 2016? the last 5 years.

That’s a pretty depressing stat when you read it.

loanheadhibby
19-12-2021, 07:05 PM
Agreed ! Hanlon's best performance at Hampden by a mile - he was immense and did not deserve to be on the losing side. Porto and Lewis were also outstanding .
Hanlon was outstanding and was an inspirational captain.
Sadly he was poor at Celtic first goal and yet again we lose 2 goals in a big game.

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 07:05 PM
Or have Hibs finished 3rd, 4th and 5th, won a cup and been in 3 other finals since 2016?

Hanlon's finished 3rd once in his entire career. He's been a key player that entire time. Yes, he won the Scottish cup in 2016 but that's still less than Shaun Rooney, Jamie McCart ect achieved and I'd not sure you'd hear people claiming they are outstanding despite winning more than Hanlon in a shorter career.

He's also been a pivotal part of teams that have suffered some of the most humiliating loses the club has ever endured. He's a decent player. He's nowhere near outstanding no matter how many times people claim that he is.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 07:06 PM

Its really not.

Infact, if Hibs had achieved as much as Lewis has in the 15 years since his debut every 15 years prior, we'd have nearly double the amount of trophies we currently have.

Hanlon and Lewis are actually extremely successful Hibs players.

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 07:08 PM
Its really not.

Infact, if Hibs had achieved as much as Lewis has in the 15 years since his debut every 15 years prior, we'd have nearly double the amount of trophies we currently have.

Hanlon and Lewis are actually extremely successful Hibs players.

They are because the club are perennial underachievers and are deemed successful because the club generally fails. I don't think even you could argue against that.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 07:11 PM
They are because the club are perennially underachievers and are deemed successful because the club generally fails. I don't think even you could argue against that.

Or maybe 150 years of history tells us thats just it, and these guys have been successful?

Their success isn't less impressive because we lost a final to Clyde in the 50s. They are successful Hibs players and had the ref given a stolewaller today, could've added further success.

loanheadhibby
19-12-2021, 07:12 PM
I'm old enough to have seen Turnbulls Tornadoes.
They would have slaughtered this team and can't think of any current player who would have got a game bar Paul Hanlon as Jim Black was no star.
We are full of average players and I think everyone is seeing through the rubbish you spout on here regarding all our quality players.

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 07:13 PM
Or maybe 150 years of history tells us thats just it, and these guys have been successful?

Their success isn't less impressive because we lost a final to Clyde in the 50s. They are successful Hibs players and had the ref given a stolewaller today, could've added further success.

Paul Hanlon has won as many medals as Chris Dagnall. By your narrow definition Chris Dagnall is a successful Hibs player.

What does that really say about the club?

tam4hibs
19-12-2021, 07:15 PM
Maybe I’m not the only one of this option after all.

‘Football Knowledge’ tho eh?

I’m not saying he’s this or that, fact for me is he switched off in a cup final that led to the oppositions winning goal.

For me, our defence has questions to answer and he’s the core of that - and our captain.

Is he a hero?
Yes. What I said was time for new Heroes.

The Tubs
19-12-2021, 07:16 PM

It must depress you supporting Hibs. Would you prefer another club?

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 07:16 PM
They would have slaughtered this team and can't think of any current player who would have got a game bar Paul Hanlon as Jim Black was no star.
We are full of average players and I think everyone is seeing through the rubbish you spout on here regarding all our quality players.

Lucky you. Comparing football in the 50s to now is a real stretch. Totally different game. Do you expect Hibs to be reaching European cup semi finals like they did then? Tell me, how did that side do in the Scottish cup :wink:

Keep it on topic please, or I will need to report your posts. I couldn't care less what anyone else on here thinks about my opinion, its mine and thats it.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 07:17 PM
Paul Hanlon has won as many medals as Chris Dagnall. By your narrow definition Chris Dagnall is a successful Hibs player.

What does that really say about the club?

No, because Dagnall wasn't a key player in any part of our scottish cup win, or any other of the successes Paul Hanlon has had here.

Scottie
19-12-2021, 07:19 PM
They are because the club are perennial underachievers and are deemed successful because the club generally fails. I don't think even you could argue against that.
:agree: For a club our size we should have achieved more over the years. Why do we under achieve when it really matters ?

Best of the rest is what we should set as a minimum, as we know there is no way we can compete over a season against the Uglies due to finances and referees.

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 07:21 PM
No, because Dagnall wasn't a key player in any part of our scottish cup win, or any other of the successes Paul Hanlon has had here.

There hasn't been and other successes, that's the point. We've finished 3rd once in 15 years. Hibs should be aiming to finish 3rd atleast 3 or 4 times over that time period.

So what other successes? Lost semis and finals? We must have a low threshold for success if we define getting to a final and losing as a success.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 07:22 PM
There hasn't been and other successes, that's the point. We've finished 3rd once in 15 years. Hibs should be aiming to finish 3rd atleast 3 or 4 times over that time period.

So what other successes? Lost semis and finals? We must have a low threshold for success if we define getting to a final and losing as a success.

So only cup wins and 3rd are success? Nothing else whatsoever?

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 07:25 PM
So only cup wins and 3rd are success? Nothing else whatsoever?

Emm, yes. For a club Hibs size in Scotland I'd deem those 2 things as successes.

Unless you think getting to a final but generally losing and continually finishing below Hearts and Aberdeen as a success?

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 07:28 PM
Emm, yes. For a club Hibs size in Scotland I'd deem those 2 things as successes.

Unless you think getting to a final and continually finish below Hearts and Aberdeen as a success?

I see our first season back up in 2018 a huge success. Hanlon a key player

I see beating Rangers in the semi a month ago as a success.

I see our many victories over Rangers/Celtic/Hearts/Aberdeen in the last 5/6 years as successes.

Just a different perspective I guess.

brianmc
19-12-2021, 07:31 PM
Lucky you. Comparing football in the 50s to now is a real stretch. Totally different game. Do you expect Hibs to be reaching European cup semi finals like they did then? Tell me, how did that side do in the Scottish cup :wink:

Keep it on topic please, or I will need to report your posts. I couldn't care less what anyone else on here thinks about my opinion, its mine and thats it.

If you know your history.......

Did the Tornadoes have a time machine?

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 07:32 PM
I see our first season back up in 2018 a huge success. Hanlon a key player

I see beating Rangers in the semi a month ago as a success.

I see our many victories over Rangers/Celtic/Hearts/Aberdeen in the last 5/6 years as successes.

Just a different perspective I guess.

Yip, all about individual perspective.

I want Hibs to finish 3rd more than once in 15 years and I don't see losing a final as success. I honestly find it sad that a fan can deem simply getting to a final as success, nobody cares if you win in a semi and lose in the final.

Each to their own I suppose.

Have we not lost more than we've won over the last 5 or 6 years against Hearts, Rangers ,Celtic and Aberdeen? How can that possibly be a success? That's just silly.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2021, 07:33 PM
Yip, all about individual perspective.

I want Hibs to finish 3rd more than once in 15 years and I don't see losing a final as success. I honestly find it sad that a fan can deem simply getting to a final as success, nobody cares if you win in a semi and lose in the final.

Each to their own I suppose.You can find whatever you want sad. I'll look back on this seasons league cup run with some great memories.

LaMotta
19-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Maybe I’m not the only one of this option after all.

‘Football Knowledge’ tho eh?

I’m not saying he’s this or that, fact for me is he switched off in a cup final that led to the oppositions winning goal.

For me, our defence has questions to answer and he’s the core of that - and our captain.

Is he a hero?
Yes. What I said was time for new Heroes.

Your posts on this thread are so bad its untrue. Sums up everything that can be wrong with a fans forum at times. Actually blaming Hanlon for switching off when Porteous is the one that loses Kyogo for both goals - are you for real?:confused:

As much as I like Porteous, he gets away with absolute murder at times in comparison to his fellow defenders.

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 07:35 PM
You can find whatever you want sad. I'll look back on this seasons league cup run with some great memories.

Do we not have a losing record against Hearts , Rangers , Celtic and Aberdeen over those 5/6 years you quoted? How can that possibly be success? That sounds like the definition of a loser.

Brightside
19-12-2021, 07:40 PM

Scored a goal and got one off the line. Wtf is actually wrong with some of our fans. They should be ashamed

WeeRussell
19-12-2021, 07:44 PM
Whether you like one or the other, both or neither - Hanlon undoubtedly looked a much better centre half than Porteous today.

Tyler Durden
19-12-2021, 07:44 PM
I like Porteous but he’s played his part in some really bad goals in big games in the last 12 months

If we can get £1m+ for him in January it might be good timing to let him go and give Maloney some money to play with.

Northernhibee
19-12-2021, 07:45 PM
Scored a goal and got one off the line. Wtf is actually wrong with some of our fans. They should be ashamed

It’s like being on a farm and watching pigs happily wallow in their own excrement.

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 07:46 PM
Whether you like one or the other, both or neither - Hanlon undoubtedly looked a much better centre half than Porteous today.

Agreed. Aside from the last 5 minutes or so I think he played better than Porteous. Not much in it though.

loanheadhibby
19-12-2021, 07:47 PM
It must depress you supporting Hibs. Would you prefer another club?

It does depress me seeing the club constantly underachieve.

Am I meant to be sitting here happy that we’ve lost yet another cup final?

Since90+2
19-12-2021, 07:50 PM
It’s like being on a farm and watching pigs happily wallow in their own excrement.

A lot of Hibs fans prefer to mimic ostriches with their head in the sand.

WeeRussell
19-12-2021, 07:50 PM

It’s frustrating losing the goals that we did. But losing to what was a good Celtic performance overall isn’t under achieving or that depressing.

I was fairly happy with the way we went about the game. Wasn’t an easy watch but that’s sometimes what you have to do against millions of pounds worth of talent that we don’t have. Disappointed to lose of course, but things could have been a lot worse than that today.

G15 Hibs
19-12-2021, 07:55 PM

One League Cup and a couple of second place finishes? Some on this thread wouldn't see that as a successful team it seems, but Eddie Turnbull's team of the early 70s is regarded as one of our best ever. Its all about perspective eh?

I grew up watching Hibs in the 1980s. My perspective is quite different. The past few years have been pretty good on the whole in comparison. Not all great, but pretty good. Stevenson and Hanlon have been great servants over the time they've been here and when they finally give up will be fondly remembered for the part they played in the 2016 cup win and their longevity. Neither of them great players, but good enough and guys who gave their all in good times and bad.

loanheadhibby
19-12-2021, 07:57 PM
It’s frustrating losing the goals that we did. But losing to what was a good Celtic performance overall isn’t under achieving or that depressing.

I was fairly happy with the way we went about the game. Wasn’t an easy watch but that’s sometimes what you have to do against millions of pounds worth of talent that we don’t have. Disappointed to lose of course, but things could have been a lot worse than that today.

That’s the poorest Celtic side we’re ever likely to face in a cup final. Huge opportunity missed today.

I’ve no real complaints about how we went about the game. It’s a weird feeling as Hanlon in general played well but part of a defence that conceded 2 very soft goals and misses an absolute sitter to equalise.

Very disappointed we don’t have more belief in ourselves.

G15 Hibs
19-12-2021, 07:57 PM

Has there ever been a time in the club's history, other than the late 40s/early 50s, where you think they've achieved success at the level you expect?

hibeejeebies
19-12-2021, 08:06 PM
Same, I would have had Doig on for Murphy playing in front of Lewis.

Yeah me too, want to see us try this out a bit in future.

BegbieHSC
19-12-2021, 08:14 PM
Well, can’t say this is the direction I hoped this thread would go down.

I wanted to give a shout out to 3 players, who despite the result, stood out for me as playing with grit and passion we’ve not seen in a while and deserved a bit of praise.

I guess the emotions are a bit too raw.

loanheadhibby
19-12-2021, 08:59 PM
Has there ever been a time in the club's history, other than the late 40s/early 50s, where you think they've achieved success at the level you expect?

little St Johnstone have won more trophies than us recently. A solitary 3rd place finish in 15 years may be good enough for you. 6 wins in 26 cup finals may be sufficient for you. I want better for my club.

judas
19-12-2021, 09:06 PM
Love Porteous. He’s a 100% man who never hides.

Hanlon had a good game today.

Stevenson is a Hibs legend who continues to show his class. Never stops. I would want him at my side on a battlefield all day long.

G15 Hibs
19-12-2021, 09:18 PM
little St Johnstone have won more trophies than us recently. A solitary 3rd place finish in 15 years may be good enough for you. 6 wins in 26 cup finals may be sufficient for you. I want better for my club.

That's not what I was asking and neither was I saying that I wouldn't like Hibs to be more successful. I guess my expectations are more based on historical evidence though and I try not to get too disappointed by it when Hibs don't do as well as I'd like. It's difficult though, I know.

Ultimately, who can you blame? The managers, owners, even fans have changed over the history of our club and apart from a period mid-20th century we've never had any real sustained success. What can you do?

tam4hibs
20-12-2021, 07:21 AM
Your posts on this thread are so bad its untrue. Sums up everything that can be wrong with a fans forum at times. Actually blaming Hanlon for switching off when Porteous is the one that loses Kyogo for both goals - are you for real?:confused:

As much as I like Porteous, he gets away with absolute murder at times in comparison to his fellow defenders.

I’d probably say the same about your posts being so biased they’re untrue. Blinkered even.

If Hanlon has no fault in the matter. What about this attachment (picture) of his position / awareness when the free kick is taken?

Back to play. Slowly wandering back. Caught completely unawares.
I would start on Jamie Murphy not standing over the ball to black the quick free kick too - but he has a thread of his own.

B.H.F.C
20-12-2021, 07:29 AM
A back line who lose two goals like that in a cup final aren’t worthy of praise. All fine and well driving up the park when you’re losing but they totally switched off for the two goals. The second one Hanlon is jogging back not even looking at the ball.

HibsGW
20-12-2021, 07:30 AM
On the whole the defence did well, everyone gave 100% effort that isn’t even up for debate. Switching off like that at both goals though makes it very difficult to give them any praise. It’s basic stuff.

Brightside
20-12-2021, 07:38 AM
I’d probably say the same about your posts being so biased they’re untrue. Blinkered even.

If Hanlon has no fault in the matter. What about this attachment (picture) of his position / awareness when the free kick is taken?

I would start on Jamie Murphy not standing over the ball to black the quick free kick too - but he has a thread of his own.

I’m told we were waiting for the subs to come on as the forth official had the board up. Not seen the pic yet.

tam4hibs
20-12-2021, 07:39 AM
I’m told we were waiting for the subs to come on as the forth official had the board up. Not seen the pic yet.

Then that’s as bad an excuse I’ve heard. Blaming the 4th official is a new one. Step forward and accept responsibility that they must do better

Crunchie
20-12-2021, 07:45 AM
Then that’s as bad an excuse I’ve heard. Blaming the 4th official is a new one. Step forward and accept responsibility that they must do better
Up until they scored their first Hanlon was having his best game in a Hibs shirt EVER, imo he was immense and having a great game.
It sadly lasted 20 seconds and he was culpable in both goals we lost. Mikey Stewart had a go at him for his positioning at their first, the second was just embarrassing for all concerned, including the cheating Beaton.

DaveF
20-12-2021, 07:48 AM

That pic just makes me even angrier. Murphy could have got his lazy arse on top of the ball to stop the free kick. Take your yellow card and let is get set. For someone as experienced as Hanlon to be facing the wrong way, just sums up our defensive efforts this season.

Since90+2
20-12-2021, 08:00 AM

That photo is pretty damming. Where is the awareness of what's going on around him?

HibsGW
20-12-2021, 08:01 AM

Simple as that. Do the job and let the 4th official do their job. Tactical awareness is what let us down today.

LaMotta
20-12-2021, 08:27 AM

That photo is pretty damming. Where is the awareness of what's going on around him?

But the point is Hanlon is being singled out for criticism and you just ignore Porteous. Even though he clearly just lets Kyogo run off him. Where is Porto's awareness of whats going on around him?

Why are people desperate to hammer Hanlon but happy to sweep Porteous' errors under the carpet.? :confused:

Northernhibee
20-12-2021, 08:29 AM
But the point is Hanlon is being singled out for criticism and you just ignore Porteous. Even though he clearly just lets Kyogo run off him. Where is Porto's awareness of whats going on around him?

Why are people are desperate to hammer Hanlon but happy to sweep Porteous' errors under the carpet.? :confused:
It’s just downright weird behaviour to take a club legend who - after yet another two controversial decisions involving GFA officials - had a fantastic game up to that point and to come on with a relish to pick fault and even bring screenshots.

Really weird.

Since90+2
20-12-2021, 08:32 AM

Why are people are desperate to hammer Hanlon but happy to sweep Porteous' errors under the carpet.? :confused:

Can you see that photo? Porteous is facing play, he probably assumes that his captain is at least facing the play and aware there is a ball about to be played over the top onto his area of the pitch. Kyogo runs in behind Hanlon as he knows he's not even looking at the ball.

That goal is 100% Hanlon's fault. It's literally right in front of our eyes.

LaMotta
20-12-2021, 08:34 AM
Can you see that photo? Porteous is facing play, he probably assumes that his captain is at least facing the play and aware there is a ball about to be played over the top. Kyogo runs in behind Hanlon as he knows he's not even looking at the ball.

Jesus. Proving my point to the max. Absolving Porteous of any blame is actually unbelievable.

Since90+2
20-12-2021, 08:36 AM
Jesus. Proving my point to the max. Absolving Porteous of any blame is actually unbelievable.

I think their both at fault but ultimately the goal comes from Hanlon's side of the park. If he turns around and faces the play after the foul we don't conceed.

I don't think it's a lot to ask your experienced captain to at least turn and look at the ball ffs.

easty
20-12-2021, 08:39 AM
Can you see that photo? Porteous is facing play, he probably assumes that his captain is at least facing the play and aware there is a ball about to be played over the top onto his area of the pitch. Kyogo runs in behind Hanlon as he knows he's not even looking at the ball.

If Hanlons facing the right way (and he should be), it's still Porteous who should be tracking the man who he's right beside.

Since90+2
20-12-2021, 08:40 AM
If Hanlons facing the right way (and he should be), it's still Porteous who should be tracking the man who he's right beside.

I suppose we are splitting hairs. They're both culpable and it's amateurish defending, ultimately it's cost us the opportunity to win a cup final.

easty
20-12-2021, 08:41 AM
I suppose we are splitting hairs. They're both culpable and it's amateurish defending, ultimately it's cost us the opportunity to win a cup final.

They are both culpable. I only replied because you said it was 100% Hanlons fault!

HibsGW
20-12-2021, 08:41 AM

Why are people desperate to hammer Hanlon but happy to sweep Porteous' errors under the carpet.? :confused:

Porteous loses him way too easy but I’m almost cringing at that photo. Our captain, professional footballer played centre back for about 12 years and he isn’t even watching the game.

LaMotta
20-12-2021, 08:42 AM
I think their both at fault but ultimately the goal comes from Hanlon's side of the park. If he turns around and faces the play after the foul we don't conceed.

But you've spent the thread bashing Hanlon and ignoring Porto's role. A minute ago you claimed its 100% Hanlon's fault when it clearly isn't, as you now agree.

Hanlon should not switch off but he could never get to the ball even if he is facing play. Porteous is actually watching whats going on and just lets Kyogo go. Him following Kyogo is the best chance of stopping the goal.

I like both players but both have their faults - I think its mad though that the knives are always out for Hanlon whilst Porteous gets away with things for some reason. This thread is the perfect example of it.

LaMotta
20-12-2021, 08:43 AM

Exactly.

Smartie
20-12-2021, 08:45 AM
I've only had a chance to see the goals back today - and tbh both Celtic goals are excruciating from a Hibs point of view. Porteous and Hanlon are both culpable at both, dreadful pieces of play.

Which feels a funny thing to say as I actually thought those 2 moments aside, the pair of them were superb.

You just don't get away with stuff like that against quality opposition though.

Since90+2
20-12-2021, 08:45 AM
They are both culpable. I only replied because you said it was 100% Hanlons fault!

I should have worded it as Hanlon's 100% at fault, as is Porteous.

We played well but that daft lapse in concentration by both of them, Hanlon is far more experienced than Ryan so it's less understandable from him, cost us. Very frustrating.

Since90+2
20-12-2021, 08:47 AM
Porteous loses him way too easy but I’m almost cringing at that photo. Our captain, professional footballer played centre back for about 12 years and he isn’t even watching the game.

It's poor all around. I'm sure they'll feel they've let the team and the fans down when they watch it back.

LaMotta
I've only had a chance to see the goals back today - and tbh both Celtic goals are excruciating from a Hibs point of view. Porteous and Hanlon are both culpable at both, dreadful pieces of play.

Which feels a funny thing to say as I actually thought those 2 moments aside, the pair of them were superb.

Fair analysis:agree:

easty

:agree:

HH81
20-12-2021, 08:57 AM

I guess the question is if Hanlon is facing play does the goal still happen or will he turn and get back.

I just think overall there was 2/3 things which could have stopped the goal. Hopefully lessons learnt for next time.

At the game my thoughts were it was poor defending for both goals. Seen them back and nothing to change my mind.

HibsGW
20-12-2021, 08:57 AM
It's poor all around. I'm sure they'll feel they've let the team and the fans down when they watch it back.

Most likely, I suppose these small margins are what the difference is when you pay for players that cost 15k a week as opposed to 2 or 3k a week. Celtic’s centre backs don’t switch off like that.

tam4hibs
20-12-2021, 09:03 AM
It’s just downright weird behaviour to take a club legend who - after yet another two controversial decisions involving GFA officials - had a fantastic game up to that point and to come on with a relish to pick fault and even bring screenshots.

Really weird.

What’s weird about it?

The thread was singling them out for praise and I had a different opinion. When I told I was wrong (and upset a few by criticising Hanlon) I posted evidence of why I think he was at fault by switching off. In a cup final.

I’m not relishing picking faults. I’m backing up my argument / opinion.

I said he had a great game. Except him and Porto being to blame for both goals. Which ultimately cost us the cup win. So maybe not a great game after all.

What I find really cringey and weird is the blinkered view that you cannot criticise a club legend.

Maybe a message board isn’t the place for an informed opinion and we should all just agree that Paul/Port or whoever else you choose cannot be criticised.

Really, really, really. Weird.

tam4hibs
20-12-2021, 09:04 AM

Pretty much it. The difference between our squad and there’s. They will punish you.

Tyler Durden
20-12-2021, 09:10 AM
Most likely, I suppose these small margins are what the difference is when you pay for players that cost 15k a week as opposed to 2 or 3k a week. Celtic’s centre backs don’t switch off like that.

I agree with your point, but the exception to that is clearly Carl Starfelt! Absolutely hopeless player.

I actually laughed out loud when he gifted us the corner that we scored from. Simple punt over the top and he heads it out for a corner. Then loses his man to concede. Should have of course conceded a penalty aswell. And also missed 2 sitters at the other end. Guy is a total imposter.

mcohibs
20-12-2021, 09:19 AM

Really weird.

What on earth are you on about? The only thing that's weird is to continue to defend a player when the evidence is presented to you that he is undeniably at fault for the goal. Can you actually look at that picture and think 'Nothing wrong with Hanlon there. Legend' Utterly bizzare.

Our centre halves were caught snoozing again with balls over top yesterday and it cost us two goals. Irrespective of how they played in the rest of the game, you cannot dispute that.

Northernhibee
20-12-2021, 09:20 AM
What’s weird about it?

The thread was singling them out for praise and I had a different opinion. When I told I was wrong (and upset a few by criticising Hanlon) I posted evidence of why I think he was at fault by switching off. In a cup final.

I said he had a great game. Except him and Porto being to blame for both goals. Which ultimately cost us the cup win. So maybe not a great game after all.

What I find really cringey and weird is the blinkered view that you cannot criticise a club legend.

Maybe a message board isn’t the place for an informed opinion and we should all just agree that Paul/Port or whoever else you choose cannot be criticised.

It’s clear as day what happened - linesman signals for the sub to be made, play stops for a bit, referee (with previous for dodgy decisions) ignores this and decides to let Celtic chance their arm. From a foul that never was even close to a foul.

Everyone thought it was a sub - absolutely everyone - and nobody thought it was a foul. If people are actually raging at an established club legend over the abysmal officiating of the game which only ever seems to fall in favour of teams from a certain city then I do wonder.

BoomtownHibees
20-12-2021, 09:51 AM
It’s clear as day what happened - linesman signals for the sub to be made, play stops for a bit, referee (with previous for dodgy decisions) ignores this and decides to let Celtic chance their arm. From a foul that never was even close to a foul.

Everyone thought it was a sub - absolutely everyone - and nobody thought it was a foul. If people are actually raging at an established club legend over the abysmal officiating of the game which only ever seems to fall in favour of teams from a certain city then I do wonder.

Keep seeing this about the sub and is also what Mcginn was having a go about but from what I remember at the game, Scott Allan wasn’t ready to come on and from the replays I’ve seen so far, the linesman doesn’t at any point stop or put his flag up to indicate a sub. Does anyone have any footage or pics that show different?

From the photo posted above and all the chat about the centre halfs, who were both at fault, how about the very experienced Jamie Murphy moves forward one step and stops the quick free kick? Amateur

tam4hibs
20-12-2021, 09:53 AM

Was never a foul.
Albeit sub was nowhere near ready to come on, was still up the stairs with a tracksuit on.

Beaton was woeful as always.

But play to the whistle, basics. Which our club legend didnt do.

Anyone else you would prefer to blame rather than our own CBS?

- there was a pigeon that flew over me that may have distracted them
- was quite foggy
- Used to playing on Saturdays and forgot they were in a game
- The smell from the Celtic end

Blinkered.

hibeerealist
20-12-2021, 10:10 AM

Reading your posts tam4hibs and you make very good points, defence sleeping for both goals yesterday. Our captain tried very hard throughout the game but the TWO occasions he really needed to try his hardest he was missing. Its hard to take but that is the bottom line.

The happy clappers set about you and they will do so to my reply but until we sort out a decent, reliable defence we wont be winning anything end of!!

B.H.F.C
20-12-2021, 10:20 AM

The linesman is up with play looking along the line. David Gray is talking to the forth official. Scott Allan wasn’t even pitch side. From what I’ve seen none of them at any point were indicating the sub was happening.

We’re clutching if we’re blaming the officiating there. We just totally switched off.

LaMotta
20-12-2021, 11:09 AM
What’s weird about it?

What on earth are you on about? The only thing that's weird is to continue to defend a player when the evidence is presented to you that he is undeniably at fault for the goal. Can you actually look at that picture and think 'Nothing wrong with Hanlon there. Legend' Utterly bizzare.

Our centre halves were caught snoozing again with balls over top yesterday and it cost us two goals. Irrespective of how they played in the rest of the game, you cannot dispute that.

Reading your posts tam4hibs and you make very good points, defence sleeping for both goals yesterday. Our captain tried very hard throughout the game but the TWO occasions he really needed to try his hardest he was missing. Its hard to take but that is the bottom line.

The happy clappers set about you and they will do so to my reply but until we sort out a decent, reliable defence we wont be winning anything end of!!

The weirdness is the clamour to solely focus on Hanlon and single him out as the bad guy when his colleague next to him is just as much if not more to blame. It's happened throughout the thread, and happens a lot in general on here and on Twitter/Facebook.

I mean its still happening on this thread with that last post from hibeerealist.:cb

NC1875
20-12-2021, 11:13 AM
Outstanding ? You’re having a laugh surely.

2 goals conceded from comical defending and you’re telling us our defence was outstanding ?

Dearie me

HibsGW
20-12-2021, 11:16 AM

2 goals conceded from comical defending and you’re telling us our defence was outstanding ?

Dearie me

I’d be interested to see anyone who feels they deserve praise explain why. To me if you give 2 goals like that in a cup final, there’s no praise and plenty of justified criticism coming your way, I don’t think that’s being harsh at all.

mcohibs
20-12-2021, 11:16 AM

Dearie me

Utterly bizarre isn't it. Folk need to wake up regarding Porteous and Hanlon. Cost us too often this season

GreenPJ
20-12-2021, 11:28 AM

Dearie me

The defence was very resolute under a lot of pressure outside of the two goals conceded. Unfortunately the lapses (and I don't just blame the two CHs) led to two goals, both very good finishes but avoidable. They were bad errors that ultimately led to us losing the final, however, if they had not been so resolute throughout the rest of the game we may not have still been in the match in the final minute. So yes they should be criticised for the lapses but you can't just ignore the performance for the rest of the 93 minutes.

inglisavhibs
20-12-2021, 12:56 PM
All 3 of them sleeping at both goals. Get the basics right then do the rest.

But for these 3 we would have been down and out at half time.

mcohibs
20-12-2021, 01:41 PM
But for these 3 we would have been down and out at half time.

Brought trouble on ourselves in the first half by being to feart to keep a hold of the ball. Long punt up field and straight on the back foot again.

Cardinal sin to turn your back on play like Hanlon did for their second, no matter what the circumstances.

New centre halves needed in January. Hopefully Maloney sees this as a big priority

inglisavhibs
20-12-2021, 01:53 PM
Brought trouble on ourselves in the first half by being to feart to keep a hold of the ball. Long punt up field and straight on the back foot again.

Cardinal sin to turn your back on play like Hanlon did for their second, no matter what the circumstances.

New centre halves needed in January. Hopefully Maloney sees this as a big priority

You will realise how good these two are when we try and replace them.

loanheadhibby
20-12-2021, 02:05 PM

Without going off topic, I text my old mate yesterday saying being Centre forward for Hibs must be the worst job in Scottish Football. Countless times we lumped it long to Nisbet yesterday and he was out-muscled. It was a thankless task for him and probably more suited to Doidge. And ironically, when Doidge did come on, we seemed to stop lumping it in the box.

I know Nisbet has his doubters on here but yesterday, esp 1st half, I had every sympathy with him.

Allant1981
20-12-2021, 02:07 PM
You will realise how good these two are when we try and replace them.

Can we not sign any better?

Smartie
20-12-2021, 02:13 PM
Without going off topic, I text my old mate yesterday saying being Centre forward for Hibs must be the worst job in Scottish Football. Countless times we lumped it long to Nisbet yesterday and he was out-muscled. It was a thankless task for him and probably more suited to Doidge. And ironically, when Doidge did come on, we seemed to stop lumping it in the box.

I know Nisbet has his doubters on here but yesterday, esp 1st half, I had every sympathy with him.

I've slaughtered Nisbet at times, and I think he has deserved it.

But yesterday - absolutely hung out to dry first half and did as much as you could reasonably expect him to do.

2nd half I thought he played well. Looked miles better with a bit more support and he was forcing mistakes and nicking the ball away from defenders with a bit of pace and work rate. In the end he was unlucky not to score (I thought the header was of the unlucky variety rather than the weaker efforts he's put in during league games lately).

Brightside
20-12-2021, 02:18 PM
Can we not sign any better?

Yes we could. But we don’t seem to be able to. Maybe they are the best in our market.

lord bunberry
20-12-2021, 02:33 PM
This is a really strange thread, the reason we lost yesterday is because our defence switched off twice at crucial points in the game. We switched off after scoring the goal and we’re undone by a simple ball over the top and the second goal we don’t play to the whistle and get caught out again. We’re talking absolute basics of defending here, I’m not sure it merits a thread praising them when they’ve ultimately cost us the game and a chance to win a cup. It seems like an attempt to preempt the criticism that is rightly coming their way. I say this as a huge fan of Porteous and Hanlon.

Allant1981
20-12-2021, 04:02 PM
Yes we could. But we don’t seem to be able to. Maybe they are the best in our market.

Quite possibly although arguably arent as other CHs in our own league appear to get picked for the national team before them, until the errors i thought that was hanlons best game in a very long time and hopefully kicks on and has a good second half to the season

Brightside
20-12-2021, 06:31 PM

I agree on Hanlon making a shocking mistake for turning his back.....but in reality the ball / pass came nowhere near him so he could have been doing handstands and it would have made no difference.

WeeRussell
20-12-2021, 09:48 PM
I agree on Hanlon making a shocking mistake for turning his back.....but in reality the ball / pass came nowhere near him so he could have been doing handstands and it would have made no difference.

Wasn’t it him the foul was (wrongly) given against? He’d do well to get back in position from the Celtic half at any speed without turning his back.. 😁