PDA

View Full Version : The romance of Arbroath

Dr What If?
18-12-2021, 06:18 PM
In the large list of world wide towns and cities where the word 'romance' is apportioned and unless you have an unnatural attraction to smoked fish, Arbroath is probably quite far down your list. Wee rummage through the footie scores tonight and I was a bit surprised to see the Red Lichties topping the championship at the half way stage. This has to be the romantic footballing story of the season so far, part time side with crowds of just over 1,000 challenging for promotion to the top league.
Only half way I know and despite a questionable colour of home shirt I think I'm going to be keeping a wee eye open for their results....what a story that would be!

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-12-2021, 06:51 PM
They are the real life team from Shot at Glory

Smartie
18-12-2021, 06:56 PM
Dick Campbell is one of the most criminally underrated figures in Scottish football.

We had a slog and 3 attempts getting out of that league. It’s not easy.

It would be fantastic and one hell of an achievement if he managed to finish the job (even if realistically we all expect them to fall away).

bigwheel
18-12-2021, 06:59 PM
Dick Campbell is one of the most criminally underrated figures in Scottish football.

It would be fantastic and one hell of an achievement if he managed to finish the job (even if realistically we all expect them to fall away).

Think he is a Wiley fox , but also an old school dinosaur….

Does very well, don’t get me wrong - uses experienced players - is definitely over achieving- no doubt - not got the skills for a bigger club .

JeMeSouviens
18-12-2021, 07:06 PM
Pity about the honking m****n. :rolleyes:

Northernhibee
18-12-2021, 07:25 PM
Think he is a Wiley fox , but also an old school dinosaur….

Does very well, don’t get me wrong - uses experienced players - is definitely over achieving- no doubt - not got the skills for a bigger club .

He’s old school but he’s not a dinosaur. He’s evolved through the years and as such still remains in the game.

Him and his brother don’t need football as they have a number of businesses but he’s one of the biggest characters in the game.

The Arbroath fans that I know love him and are loving their football just now.

dp00
18-12-2021, 07:27 PM
He’s old school but he’s not a dinosaur. He’s evolved through the years and as such still remains in the game.

Him and his brother don’t need football as they have a number of businesses but he’s one of the biggest characters in the game.

Listened to a podcast with him recently and he said as much, he does football for enjoyment, he doesn’t need it as they have there own business but he enjoys it so that relaxes him and allows him to be himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigwheel
18-12-2021, 07:32 PM

His players are allowed to play their own way , limited tactics …not viewed as a thinker in footballing terms . That’s what I mean by a dinosaur .. obviously works to a level …and yes, seems a great character . But I’d say it’s his ability to pick a good group of players that is his biggest attribute - players who are working as much wonder as he is …

Cat Stanton
18-12-2021, 07:34 PM
Clubs will be looking at Dick Campbell.

And then obviously running away in terror.

Thank you, Edinburgh, I'm here all week.

SChibs
18-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Rab Douglas is listed as one of their goalkeepers on Flashscore. I wonder if he's registered to play in case of injuries/covid

davhibby
18-12-2021, 07:37 PM
I see they were tweeting about making it up to 1000 season tickets sold this week. That’s more than the likes of accies and livi will have been getting in the top flight recently

lord bunberry
18-12-2021, 07:43 PM

:agree: He presents himself in the media as an old school manager but he’s far from it. He manages a part time team that for the large part play for the love of the game. What he’s achieved is pretty remarkable to just keep Arbroath in that division let alone top it. I remember hearing reports on the radio from their games and sometimes Dick wasn’t there as he was on holiday :greengrin Him and his brother have worked wonders there and they deserve all the credit they get.

hibby rae
18-12-2021, 07:46 PM
Have the the rules been changed at all for stadiums in the top flight? Ie. could they still play at Gayfield?

Northernhibee
18-12-2021, 07:54 PM
His players are allowed to play their own way , limited tactics …not viewed as a thinker in footballing terms . That’s what I mean by a dinosaur .. obviously works to a level …and yes, seems a great character . But I’d say it’s his ability to pick a good group of players that is his biggest attribute - players who are working as much wonder as he is …

I think that if he was to get his chance at a top flight club he’d do very well. There’s an art to giving your players enough to win games but not so much that their head is full of instruction.

I admire him.

MWHIBBIES
18-12-2021, 07:57 PM

We had Rangers and Hearts to compete against tbf. It would be easy now.

bigwheel
18-12-2021, 07:58 PM
I think that if he was to get his chance at a top flight club he’d do very well. There’s an art to giving your players enough to win games but not so much that their head is full of instruction.

I admire him.

He’s not at that level . players who have come from a decent level view him as “tacticless “ not tactic light..

I admire him too - does very well - but there’s a reason he’s never been near a big job in 45 years of football

Pretty Boy
18-12-2021, 08:00 PM
It's no fluke.

Arbroath have been quietly building a solid commercial base for a few years and have built a team with some of the best part time players in the country supplemented by good loans.

Dick Campbell is no dinosaur either. He certainly presents an old school image but he's a smart cookie. I'm not sure he'll get a shot at a bigger job. He's been there and done that, albeit for a limited time, and he needs neither the money or the hassle.

Greencore
18-12-2021, 08:03 PM
Dick campbell must be a shoe in for the killie job?

Smartie
18-12-2021, 08:09 PM
We had Rangers and Hearts to compete against tbf. It would be easy now.

I don’t think it would ever be easy. It’s not a picnic in that league.

We had enough struggles over the 3 years in individual games against Alloa, Dumbarton, Morton, QotS etc.

Neil Lennon still gets it occasional grief from folk for not winning the league in enough style.

We had some immense players in our most recent 3 year stint in that league - and at times even they struggled.

Someone getting Arbroath into that position deserves credit.

Inconsequential
18-12-2021, 08:23 PM
We had Rangers and Hearts to compete against tbf. It would be easy now. Excuses, excuses. Hibs should have been promoted at the first time of asking. Hearts managed it. The second season finished behind Falkirk. Damn disgrace imo. Thanks.

Cat Stanton
18-12-2021, 08:26 PM
Excuses, excuses. Hibs should have been promoted at the first time of asking. Hearts managed it. The second season finished behind Falkirk. Damn disgrace imo. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/L0MK7qz13bU

bigwheel
18-12-2021, 08:28 PM
Excuses, excuses. Hibs should have been promoted at the first time of asking. Hearts managed it. The second season finished behind Falkirk. Damn disgrace imo. Thanks.

Nah…you’re ignoring context there . Hearts were outstandingly consistent that season . Deserved champs. We did very well to end up second after starting with no team and absolutely zero character left in the club until Dempster and Stubbs picked it up ..

Inconsequential
18-12-2021, 08:30 PM
I hope Arbroath become champions and stir up the corrupt world of Scottish Football. Probably be refused entry to the Premiership but they did for quite a few years compete in the old Division 1. I'll be rooting for them. C'mon the Red Lichties!

Northernhibee
18-12-2021, 08:31 PM
Nah…you’re ignoring context there . Hearts were outstandingly consistent that season . Deserved champs. We did very well to end up second after starting with no team and absolutely zero character left in the club until Dempster and Stubbs picked it up ..

The schedule for the second season with reaching two cup finals was absolutely brutal too and injuries weren’t kind.

MWHIBBIES
18-12-2021, 08:32 PM
I hope Arbroath become champions and stir up the corrupt world of Scottish Football. Probably be refused entry to the Premiership but they did for quite a few years compete in the old Division 1. I'll be rooting for them. C'mon the Red Lichties!

They'd go down immediately with 15 points or less.

Inconsequential
18-12-2021, 08:32 PM
Nah…you’re ignoring context there . Hearts were outstandingly consistent that season . Deserved champs. We did very well to end up second after starting with no team and absolutely zero character left in the club until Dempster and Stubbs picked it up .. Thats your opinion and your welcome to it. I have mine , thanks.

greenlex
18-12-2021, 08:33 PM
It's no fluke.

Arbroath have been quietly building a solid commercial base for a few years and have built a team with some of the best part time players in the country supplemented by good loans.

Dick Campbell is no dinosaur either. He certainly presents an old school image but he's a smart cookie. I'm not sure he'll get a shot at a bigger job. He's been there and done that, albeit for a limited time, and he needs neither the money or the hassle.

5 years at Arbroath now and counting. He did exactly the same with Brechin a few years ago over 5 years. He’s been successful at every long term project he’s touched. It’s almost like not sacking someone successful at the first downturn in form actually has some sort of merit.

Inconsequential
18-12-2021, 08:34 PM
They'd go down immediately with 15 points or less. How do you know?😂

bigwheel
18-12-2021, 08:35 PM
How do you know?[emoji23]

He has his opinion …..[emoji38]

gaz1875
18-12-2021, 08:43 PM

Me too, always look for their score this season.

brianmc
18-12-2021, 08:48 PM
At the risk of sounding like a party pooper....

It's not the long since we were the 'Kilmarnock' in that Division.
How many on here would've been laughing and joking about Arbroath being top of the tree if we were still there???

bigwheel
18-12-2021, 08:50 PM
I think they will end up nowhere near promotion , Having spoken to players who have played for him , I think the romantic thinking about Campbell on this thread is way outside the reality of his management ability .

nairn hibee
18-12-2021, 09:15 PM
I really like the old style football grounds ,hope that doesn’t stop them going up ,it’s the only ground I’ve been to where the fans swap ends at halftime

Inconsequential
18-12-2021, 09:23 PM
He has his opinion …..[emoji38] He may have an opinion but he also appears to have supernatural powers. Mystic Meg eat your heart out...😂😂😂

Inconsequential
18-12-2021, 09:24 PM
I really like the old style football grounds ,hope that doesn’t stop them going up ,it’s the only ground I’ve been to where the fans swap ends at halftime Brillant!

Alfiembra
18-12-2021, 09:28 PM
Went to see Hibs play them around about 1975/76 in the cup at Gayfield, me and my brother on a wee Honda 200.
Great atmosphere can’t remember the final score but was a struggle if I remember correct.
Hope they do well and at least get into the playoffs.

Edit just checked it was 76/77 season 1-1 draw away lost the replay at home 1-2

greenlex
18-12-2021, 09:33 PM
I really like the old style football grounds ,hope that doesn’t stop them going up ,it’s the only ground I’ve been to where the fans swap ends at halftime
It’s also the windiest coldest place in Scotland to play or watch fitba barring Gorebridge.

Dr What If?
18-12-2021, 09:35 PM
At the risk of sounding like a party pooper....

It's not the long since we were the 'Kilmarnock' in that Division.
How many on here would've been laughing and joking about Arbroath being top of the tree if we were still there???
I don't think anyone is laughing and joking, quite the opposite actually......a lot of respect for what they have done to date

Vault Boy
18-12-2021, 10:11 PM
I'm all for some Dick Campbell interviews in the Premiership

MWHIBBIES
18-12-2021, 10:15 PM
He may have an opinion but he also appears to have supernatural powers. Mystic Meg eat your heart out...😂😂😂

It's quite likely though. A part time side in the top flight would really really struggle.

Hibernia&Alba
18-12-2021, 11:39 PM
Went to see Hibs play them around about 1975/76 in the cup at Gayfield, me and my brother on a wee Honda 200.
Great atmosphere can’t remember the final score but was a struggle if I remember correct.
Hope they do well and at least get into the playoffs.

Edit just checked it was 76/77 season 1-1 draw away lost the replay at home 1-2

Lost a home replay to Arbroath. Yep, sounds like Hibs :greengrin

HoboHarry
19-12-2021, 04:32 AM
Dick Campbell's abilities are irrelevant - any team that plays in those colors should be relegated every season. Twice if possible.

judas
19-12-2021, 05:12 AM
In the large list of world wide towns and cities where the word 'romance' is apportioned and unless you have an unnatural attraction to smoked fish, Arbroath is probably quite far down your list. Wee rummage through the footie scores tonight and I was a bit surprised to see the Red Lichties topping the championship at the half way stage. This has to be the romantic footballing story of the season so far, part time side with crowds of just over 1,000 challenging for promotion to the top league.
Only half way I know and despite a questionable colour of home shirt I think I'm going to be keeping a wee eye open for their results....what a story that would be!

Great post mate.

In the modern game these nuggets of true achievement are hard to find, but this is one for sure.

Wakeyhibee
19-12-2021, 06:42 AM
Would love to see them promoted. Its not like a Gretna done on a lot of extra cash.

They would struggke but who's to say they could do a "Hamilton"

Scorrie
19-12-2021, 06:52 AM

It’s the only ground where I got soaked by a wave breaking over the terrace!

Northernhibee
19-12-2021, 07:12 AM
I'm all for some Dick

Someone had to do it.

Dr What If?
19-12-2021, 08:59 AM
It’s the only ground where I got soaked by a wave breaking over the terrace!
Don't know why but that thought properly appealed to me :greengrin......guess its just another example of just how far they are from the top end of the game.
Been chatting to a friend of mine whose uncle is a director at Cowdenbeath (not Findlay btw), she knows a lot more about the game at that end than I do. Similar sized clubs but she confesses that Arbroath have always been much better run and a bit more classy, better facilities and always seem to have better players. A proper role model club for more than half the teams in this league.....not a Gretna nor a Kelty that has just had cash flung at them and a million miles from Cowdenbeath that has become a toy for a rich lawyer of questionable moral standing.

Inconsequential
19-12-2021, 01:48 PM
I think it would be great if Arbroath got promotion. It would restore my faith in football. The doubters should take note that Dingwall a town with a population of less than 6000 already has a team competing in the Scottish Premiership. Arbroath has four times the population of Dingwall. Maybe they could become a full-time club, who knows? It will be interesting to see how their challenge develops. I for one hope they achieve it. GGTAFC!