PDA

View Full Version : McPake

Diclonius
15-12-2021, 09:44 AM
Openly admitted in his post-match interview that their game plan was to continually foul Boyle, and that he was disappointed that Boyle hadn't been fouled in the lead up to the goal. The caveat being "not to hurt him, mind".

JimBHibees
15-12-2021, 09:47 AM
Openly admitted in his post-match interview that their game plan was to continually foul Boyle, and that he was disappointed that Boyle hadn't been fouled in the lead up to the goal. The caveat being "not to hurt him, mind".

Yep thought it was poor and no real need to bring that up. Can mind Max Anderson not trying to hurt an opponent earlier this season with a disgusting karate kick.

Hibernian Verse
15-12-2021, 09:48 AM
Yep thought it was poor and no real need to bring that up. Can mind Max Anderson not trying to hurt an opponent earlier this season with a disgusting karate kick.

He left one on Porteous last night too. Wee dick.

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2021, 09:48 AM
Honest though. It’s most teams tactic - we all see it every week. All he’s done is be up front about it.

greenlex
15-12-2021, 09:49 AM
Not seen it. Anyone got a link.

Since452
15-12-2021, 10:01 AM
Every opposition manager will be saying the same in the dressing room before playing us. Don't mind that, that's football. Wouldn't say it on camera though!

oldbutdim
15-12-2021, 10:07 AM

It was a radio interview I heard, not sure if there's a video too.

J-C
15-12-2021, 10:10 AM
Can the SFA charge him with anything with comments like that, surely it goes against the fundamentals of the game.

greenlex
15-12-2021, 10:12 AM
It was a radio interview I heard, not sure if there's a video too.:aok:

Smartie
15-12-2021, 10:12 AM
Perfectly reasonable approach to stopping a tricky opponent - one that carries consequences if you don’t get it right.

Possibly not that streetwise that he’s come out and said it publicly.

bigwheel
15-12-2021, 10:13 AM
Are we not getting a bit caught up with too literal an assessment of his post game views …. Stopping Boyle with a foul would have been a sensible thing to do ..it doesn’t need to hurt him ….

Sir David Gray
15-12-2021, 10:13 AM

From about 48:00.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bb34xy

Northernhibee
15-12-2021, 10:14 AM
Reminded me of when David Beckham admitted deliberately getting himself booked to trigger a suspension when he knew he’d have to miss the game anyway.

We all know it’s done, we can see it, maybe shouldn’t say it in an interview.

mal
15-12-2021, 10:15 AM
It would be good if we could point this out to referees before every game. Maybe compensate for all the managers who loudly complain about Boyler's "diving".

evy
15-12-2021, 10:17 AM
Reminded me of when David Beckham admitted deliberately getting himself booked to trigger a suspension when he knew he’d have to miss the game anyway.

The even more ridiculous one was Sergio Ramos shaking the referees hand after a booking in the Champions League knowing he'd be suspended for a dead-rubber and then have his yellows re-set for the following round.

greenlex
15-12-2021, 10:27 AM
I’ve just listened to it. He didn’t admit any such thing. He said we should have stopped him at the edge of the Hibs box in that situation. McMillan has pace and was held back to counter Boyle should he break. Hardly a game plan. Not once did he say that was the game plan. If I was an opposition manager and that happened id be disappointed too. We did it plenty with Newall expertly executing.

Hibbyradge
Deliberately fouling is just another form of cheating.

It's strange. Most fans abhor diving, but accept so many other things. Time wasting, claiming for throw ins and corners when they know it's not their ball, players feigning injury (own team's players) to get an opponent booked are all forms of cheating and are all tolerated.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make. It's just an observation.

where'stheslope
Do you think a Hibernian manager sends out our players to admire the other teams best player but don't kick him?
I think the only thing wrong with McPake was he openly admitted it!
Most managers will tell their players the same, but not be honest enough to admit it!!!

Weegreenman
15-12-2021, 11:27 AM
We all know that sort of thing goes on but to actually say it in an interview is pretty shocking tbh.

Jones28
15-12-2021, 11:33 AM
Deliberately fouling is just another form of cheating.

It's strange. Most fans abhor diving, but accept so many other things. Time wasting, claiming for throw ins and corners when they know it's not their ball, players feigning injury (own team's players) to get an opponent booked are all forms of cheating and are all tolerated.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make. It's just an observation.

All filed under the term "Gamesmanship".

It's the most bizarre way of looking at things.

I've said it before on here but the way rugby handles discipline along with a robust TMO style system would soon eradicate these issue.

WestStandWillie
15-12-2021, 11:33 AM
Honest interview. Nullify Boyle and you’ve won half the battle.

His side were poor and never really looked like they’d trouble us.

B.H.F.C
15-12-2021, 11:34 AM

Rafa Benitez once got caught on camera shouting to one of his players (can’t remember who) to get booked in a Champions League tie. They were cruising in the first leg and he knew he wouldn’t be needed for the second leg but wanted to get the suspension out the way. I’m sure the player in question proceeded to kick the ball away or something like that a minute later.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-12-2021, 11:35 AM
It's an honest statement and is possibly the same tactic most teams would use. Surely the way to turn that to our advantage is to try to draw the fouls in the penalty box . That' as legitimate tactic also. So is making sure that we are practicing free- kicks from just out side the box.

Given that many teams are also doubling up on Boyle, we should be anticipating this an encouraging our forward players to move into the spaces that this tactic will create.

The Harp Awakes
15-12-2021, 01:58 PM
Every opposition manager will be saying the same in the dressing room before playing us. Don't mind that, that's football. Wouldn't say it on camera though!

Correct.

He's got a tough job keeping Dundee up and he's just being honest. Had a lot of time for him while he was at Hibs. Not the best player to ever wear the jersey and was with us during a turbulent spell, but always gave his all and has spoken highly of the club ever since he left.

JimBHibees
16-12-2021, 06:28 AM
He left one on Porteous last night too. Wee dick.

Thought he should have been sent off when he dragged JDH down after being booked.

SChibs
16-12-2021, 07:10 AM
It was before my time but did Hearts not score against us and people still moan the Hibs player should have fouled him? Possibly in yhe 80s or 90s?

Man City use tactical fouls every week to stop teams breaking, it's just part of the game and I have no issue with McPakes comments. If Kyogo was breaking on Sunday and it was a 3v2 we'd be crying out for someone to take one for the team

Hibernian Verse
16-12-2021, 07:15 AM
Thought he should have been sent off when he dragged JDH down after being booked.

Same thing McGinn and Hanlon got their second yellows for at Livi.

StevieT
16-12-2021, 07:45 AM
Listening to the James McPake interview, I thought it was interesting to hear him say that he asked Gavin Duncan what had been said to merit the second yellow and ultimately a red car for Sweeney, and he said that the referee couldn't tell him. This is the same referee that sent Boyle off recently for making comments at the end of the game. Sounds to me like he has a very low tolerance level.

Northernhibee
16-12-2021, 07:52 AM
FWIW I can’t believe that McPake somehow got Dundee up to the top flight. He’s a brutal manager and has put together a team of unfit dross.

JimBHibees
16-12-2021, 11:44 AM
Listening to the James McPake interview, I thought it was interesting to hear him say that he asked Gavin Duncan what had been said to merit the second yellow and ultimately a red car for Sweeney, and he said that the referee couldn't tell him. This is the same referee that sent Boyle off recently for making comments at the end of the game. Sounds to me like he has a very low tolerance level.

Heard that thought it was a strange thing to say. Would suggest he maybe thought what had been said could be construed as not that bad. Interesting Boyle got red while Sweeney got second yellow

Phil MaGlass
16-12-2021, 11:53 AM
Basically confirming what we already knew, teams are deliberately fouling/targetting Boyle, nae wonder hes the most fouled player in the league. Another reason Scottish fitba wont get to higher standards, the weakest pulling down the best.

Dibben
16-12-2021, 11:58 AM
It was before my time but did Hearts not score against us and people still moan the Hibs player should have fouled him? Possibly in yhe 80s or 90s?

Man City use tactical fouls every week to stop teams breaking, it's just part of the game and I have no issue with McPakes comments. If Kyogo was breaking on Sunday and it was a 3v2 we'd be crying out for someone to take one for the team

Yeah the ‘Wayne Foster’ Scottish cup Derby in around 94!

Should have chopped him down outside the box! 😁