PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Dundee 14 12 2021)

Jonnyboy
14-12-2021, 10:08 PM
Yet another minor illness prevented me from attending tonight and so I had to rely on Hibs TV for pictures and commentary. Maybe it’s because I wasn’t in the ground to witness it with my own eyes, but Dave and Tam were, at times, waxing lyrical about a performance that from my viewpoint was not the best. Still, three points and a clean sheet cheered me up at full time.

With all the pre match talk centring around the impending appointment of a new head coach, this game seemed to just be registering in the background and yet the points at stake were so important. A loss would have seen us drifting ever closer to the bottom end of the table whilst a win would take us to within two points of fourth placed Dundee United. Remember too that both Ross County and St. Johnstone now have two games in hand over the teams above them.

David Gray had McGinn and Hanlon back from suspension and Doyle-Hayes back from injury and all three started with McGregor, Gogic and Murphy missing out although the latter two were on the bench. Also missing from the squad was Josh Doig with David Gray saying pre match that Josh was unwell and had taken a Covid test which came back as negative. Watching on TV it was obvious to see that the East and North Stands were pretty underpopulated which is a shame, but it seems to be the norm these days.

Hibs came out of the traps from kick off and Campbell latched on to a Newell header inside the box, but the effort was blocked. Boyle was looking to be in the mood and Ryan Sweeney was booked for fouling him inside the first five minutes. From the resultant free kick, taken by Newell, McGinn rose the highest but couldn’t get enough power on the header to trouble Legzdins in the Dundee goal. Moments later, Boyle sent in a cross that McGinn headed narrowly wide as Hibs took the game to the visitors. Porteous was next to be denied and given that his attempt was the third in a row by a Hibs defender it was clear to see which side was enjoying the bulk of possession and yet I thought the game was pretty flat with neither keeper yet troubled.

Sloppy play in Midfield led to Dundee attacking and after a sliced clearance, McGowan hit the ball on the volley bringing out a fine save by Macey low to his right. Hibs had been playing with Cadden wide on the right but after a bright start from him he went down injured and had to be replaced by Doidge. That change meant Kevin Nisbet would have a striking partner and Boyle would move out to the right where he was tormenting the Dundee defence.

The game was just meandering along but on the half hour, Nisbet was fouled some twenty yards out and recovered to take the resultant free kick only to miss the target high and right of Legzdins’ goal. You kind of guessed a goal was coming and when it did, ten minutes before the break, it was one of the most bizarre own goals you are ever likely to see. Hanlon had conceded a free kick but when the ball was sent into the Hibs area, McGowan failed to control it and it ran out to Boyle who took off from a good twenty yards inside his own half. Trailed all the way by three defenders, Boyle outpaced them and swung a cross over towards Josh Campbell who was unmarked. In an attempt to avert the danger, McMullen dived full length, only to send a stunning header past his keeper and into the top corner.

Five minutes later, McGowan headed wide of the Hibs goal and then Doidge played a lovely ball into the path of Nisbet who rounded the keeper but saw his shot on goal cleared by Liam Fontaine. Moments later, Boyle swung in a delicious cross which skiffed the head of a jumping Doidge and that touch took the ball away from Campbell who was ready to pounce.

Neither manager made a change in personnel at the break, but it quickly became clear that James McPake had sent his players out to be more aggressive when attacking and five minutes in, Mullen missed an absolute sitter when firing his shot high over the bar from six yards. That seemed to waken Hibs up and they were soon back on the attack when Nisbet and Stevenson combined well down the left allowing Lewis a shot at goal, but his effort was deflected for a corner. On the hour mark, Newell fed Nisbet, but Kev’s shot was too high to trouble Legzdins. Dundee’s efforts to create chances fell short, to the credit of a resolute Hibs defence and midfield.

Twenty minutes from time, Kevin Nisbet succumbed to injury and had to be replaced by Jamie Murphy and a couple of minutes later the new arrival should have doubled Hibs’ lead. Once again, the provider was Boyle who sent the ball low across the area to the waiting Murphy. Instead of hitting the ball first time, Jamie took a touch and that gave the Dundee players time to recover and avoid conceding. Not too many minutes later, Josh Campbell seemed to spot the keeper off the line and fired in a shot from about twenty five yards, but his effort cleared the bar.

Dundee’s anxiety was all too evident now with time running out and they pushed more men forward to try and breach the Hibs defence and McMullan came close but was substituted soon after for Jason Cummings. I confess I feared the ‘former player comes back to haunt us’ scenario and that almost doubled when Anderson gave way to Leigh Griffiths. In answer to these changes, David Gray replaced Doyle-Hayes with Gogic, the new man brought on to help break up moves in midfield.

The last ten minutes were nervy from a Hibs fan point of view but thankfully Macey’s goal was hardly troubled. Cummings caught the eye but only because Gogic harried and hassled him away from the Hibs goalmouth resulting in Jason having to pass the ball back to his keeper. As for Griffiths, I thought he was carrying a bit of timber and in truth he looks a pale shadow of the Leigh Griffiths I recall seeing in a Hibs strip. The final action in the game was when Ryan Sweeney was yellow carded for dissent and with him already on a yellow, if meant a red which James McPake looked thoroughly disgusted with.

So, not the most glittering performance but hey if we do the same at the weekend with the same outcome that’s fine by me!

The players

Macey – Matt had one very good save and late in the game he came to collect a ball that looked to be putting Hibs in trouble.

McGinn – A very steady performance I thought. Fell asleep once when allowing his pocket to be picked but solid otherwise.

Porteous – The big man was fine and never really looked troubled at any point in the game. Still likes a moan at the ref mind.

Hanlon – Paul was awful at Livi, improved at St. Mirren and back on song tonight.

Cadden – I thought he was doing fine until he was injured. It didn’t look good for him as he came off the park.

Doyle-Hayes – Jake was on it tonight and largely untroubled by the physical Anderson and McGhee.

Newell – Without being a standout he managed to be involved in just about everything we were doing. Again, I’ll say he’s a terrier when hassling opponents on the ball.

Stevenson – Once again he was Mr. Dependable but more than that he was excellent at both ends of the pitch. I suspect I might get grief from some but he’s my joint man of the match tonight.

Campbell – Josh continues to impress but if there’s one area I think he lacks in it is pace.

Boyle – Poor Jordan Marshall was ripped a new one tonight as Boyler looked back to top form. Created the ‘goal’ with his pace and deserved better from Murphy with that chance late on. Martin is my joint man of the match.

Nisbet – Showed some nice touches and a good work rate, I thought his whole demeanour changed when big Christian came on. Proof, if proof were needed, he’s better in a two. I know Boyler started up top, but he covered so many areas he wasn’t always in touch with Kev. I’m hoping Nisbet will be OK for Sunday.

Doidge – Getting a good hour tonight will benefit him enormously and that slide rule pass to Nisbet in the first half was Allanesque!

Murphy – A mixed bag from Jamie in that he missed a really good chance but on the plus side he troubled Cammy Kerr when he came on.

Gogic – His hassling of Cummings was a delight to see.

David Gray – Four points from two games is a decent return given that positive results have been scarce of late. Not sure I agree with his post-match comments that we were outstanding in the first half though. We were good in patches and occasionally very good in other, shorter patches.

Referee – Gavin Duncan did OK, I thought.

Conj
14-12-2021, 10:21 PM
Not too sure how Paul Hanlon improved at St Mirren when he was suspended but agree with everything else

Jonnyboy
14-12-2021, 11:13 PM
Not too sure how Paul Hanlon improved at St Mirren when he was suspended but agree with everything else

Oops 😱

hibby6270
14-12-2021, 11:13 PM
I thought Doidge was worthy of a shout for MOTM tonight. If not for his great attacking prowess, definitely for his hold up play and harrying to win the ball back. Some nice subtle passes a lay offs as well. Put in a power of work and gained much needed match sharpness ahead of Sunday.

bigwheel
14-12-2021, 11:18 PM
I thought Doidge was worthy of a shout for MOTM tonight. If not for his great attacking prowess, definitely for his hold up play and harrying to win the ball back. Some nice subtle passes a lay offs as well. Put in a power of work and gained much needed match sharpness ahead of Sunday.

it will have done him the world of good to get a decent amount of minutes into him. And great to see him win headers and hold the ball up as you say….But he is some way off the performance levels that he needs to be. Getting better, but looks like he needs a good pre season tbh….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigwheel
14-12-2021, 11:31 PM
Great report as always JB…a strong overall shift from the team, without fully hitting the heights. I thought Newall was quality all game .Possibly our best player. And Porto looked like a top centre half….a real leader in the back line tonight. So pleased that they got a clean sheet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shrekko
14-12-2021, 11:37 PM
Good shout re Lewis for MOTM- he got the vote in our car and with no disrespect to Josh Doig I feel you know exactly what you’re getting with him and it’s always pretty good. I feel we miss him in tight games where you’re looking for people to stand up and be counted at vital times. He never lets us down.

marinello59
15-12-2021, 12:05 AM
I agree with almost all of that. I did think Newell was outstanding though and had him as my MOTM.

Magpie
15-12-2021, 12:20 AM
I thought our passing was a lot better tonight in spells. Hanlon and Stevenson played some fantastic long balls which were pin point. A couple of times where we took too much time on the ball (Hanlon turning back into trouble rather than playing the ball forward and McGinn losing the ball after doing the hard part by losing his man). Thought that the ref could easily have given a couple more yellow cards, especially to Fontaine. I’d like to see us a lot more clinical in the final third but I’m sure that will come back to us soon.

A big 3 points and now all eyes are on Sunday. 🏆

AZhibee
15-12-2021, 12:39 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy:flag:

BILLYHIBS
15-12-2021, 06:24 AM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

I thought HIBS played well first half especially Martin Boyle who as you quite rightly said looked to be in the mood

Shaun Maloney must have been impressed

It was good to see a HIBS team once again going forward with intent and not this sidey ways backwards tippy tappy stuff we have been used to all topped off with a welcome but lucky three points

It felt as though I have got my team back :greengrin

PeeJay
15-12-2021, 08:03 AM
Decent read as ever - and you are spot on about Stevenson, he had a really good game, good to see him back ... thought the team looked a bit more confident and willing to get involved - should all be seen in the context of a poor Dundee opponent though, I guess ...

Brightside
15-12-2021, 08:14 AM

Improved for the rest.

Jones28
15-12-2021, 08:24 AM
I was pleased with Gogic's contribution when he came on, recycled the ball well and played his passes forward. I do feel like Hibs fans are forgetting how good he was for us last season and that he isn't just a hatchet man.

Smartie
15-12-2021, 08:35 AM
I was pleased with Gogic's contribution when he came on, recycled the ball well and played his passes forward. I do feel like Hibs fans are forgetting how good he was for us last season and that he isn't just a hatchet man.

I thought he did well too.

He has had a poor season this season by last season’s standards though and needs to build on last night’s performance.

superfurryhibby
15-12-2021, 08:42 AM
I was delighted with the victory, less so with the performance but at this stage in our season, maybe all that matters is the points?

The first half was better than the second. We were mostly in command, made a few chances and I was thinking that we would score a couple more after the first one. Dundee changed tactics and took the game to us, making it a more open game.

The second half was pretty dire at times. What drive we had in the first half was lacking and I thought we were very pedestrian, in the middle of the park in particular. JDH and Campbell were not having much impact on the game, only Newell looked close to the form we need in there.

Aside from a clean sheet and three points, the players who did well for me were Newell, Stevenson, Boyle, Hanlon and Porto.

The crowd were very flat. Looking around from my vantage point in the East, it looked to me like the West was half full, at best and the FF around a 1/3rd full. There must have only been 6000-7000 in the stadium, a reflection of the cold night and our form over the past few months.

We're a team desperately in need of energy and creativity in central midfield.