PDA

View Full Version : maloney new gaffer

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Hibby soldier
14-12-2021, 12:54 PM
Seems maloney and g caldwell to be announce this afternoon..

madhatter
14-12-2021, 12:54 PM
Where this coming from?

Hibs90
14-12-2021, 12:55 PM
To be announced this afternoon? Where are you getting this? We only just had an update from Ben this morning.

Northernhibee
14-12-2021, 12:55 PM
Where this coming from?

The already existing threads about this?

Nicho87
14-12-2021, 12:56 PM
Weee Shaun I like

Can he find another assistant - not a fan of Caldwell

madhatter
14-12-2021, 12:56 PM
The already existing threads about this?

So just people spouting nonsense then? Fair enough. I think Knutsen will be announced at 10am tomorrow.

WhileTheChief..
14-12-2021, 12:58 PM
Did they not just announce Lennon?

Maybe i misheard.

Greencore
14-12-2021, 12:59 PM
Hibs are good hibs are fun we have Celtic on the run.

Hibs90
14-12-2021, 01:00 PM
So just people spouting nonsense then? Fair enough. I think Knutsen will be announced at 10am tomorrow.

I've heard Guardiola to be announced at half time tonight

Chorley Hibee
It feels like nearly every manager has to have a connection with Celtic.

Not enthused by this if true.

Scouse Hibee
Hope not, an untried right hand man of Martinez does not inspire me.

Oscar T Grouch
14-12-2021, 01:03 PM
Just got a text saying the same, I am sceptical though. Caldwell just took a job coaching Newcastles U23 side. Maloney has been chucking his CV around Europe so that could be a goer but I doubt we'd go with a head coach thats never had a number one spot and an assistant with limited experience in Management.

Northernhibee

I think the sources for Maloney are on the several other threads about the new manager too.

Ronniekirk
Can’t see it especially given Bens statement earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heretoday
14-12-2021, 01:06 PM

The biggest challenge of my managerial career, says Pep.

Hibby soldier
14-12-2021, 01:06 PM
RUBBISH - Maloney and caldwell in charge for final.......

Boss_Nass
14-12-2021, 01:13 PM
Very risky choice if true. The guy has assisted Martinez in ultimately squandering one of the best, if not the best, international squads in the last ten years or so. I appreciate he wouldn’t be much else but a glorified ball boy at Belgium but they have been extremely disappointing at the international tournaments which they should have done better in. I for one was delighted Ross went for various reasons but this feels like a further regression if true.

Whatever happens hope the team the colour ae the grass kick on.

Hibiza
14-12-2021, 01:20 PM
Very risky choice if true. The guy has assisted Martinez in ultimately squandering one of the best, if not the best, international squads in the last ten years or so. I appreciate he wouldn’t be much else but a glorified ball boy at Belgium but they have been extremely disappointing at the international tournaments which they should have done better in. I for one was delighted Ross went for various reasons but this feels like a further regression if true.

That squad simply aged.

Saint Hibee
14-12-2021, 01:21 PM

If he gets us playing like Belgium, I could live with that.

Squealing pig
14-12-2021, 01:24 PM
Exciting appointment imo

Since452
14-12-2021, 01:25 PM
Maloney out

Lendo
14-12-2021, 01:26 PM
A well respected coach but with no management experience…..

Cough, Cathro, Cough

bingo70
14-12-2021, 01:28 PM
Exciting appointment imo

I think it’s a let wait and see, nobody knows appointment.

Of course people will have opinions and initial thoughts but I can understand both sides. There’s elements of the appointment that could be considered very exciting, there’s also elements I’m a bit concerned about.

He might be *****, he might be brilliant but i doubt if we’ll be able to work that out from looking at his CV.

makaveli1875
14-12-2021, 01:32 PM

Cough, Cathro, Cough

Maloney played the game at a high level for a long time , was an international and seems to be able to talk sense infront of a camera . bad comparison

Irish_Steve
14-12-2021, 01:33 PM
I will be sorely disappointed if it isn't someone associated with St Mirren - Goodwin in :wink::wink::wink:

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2021, 01:35 PM

This is utter nonsense tbh. Belgium never had the best squad, at any of the tournaments and it wasn't martinez who done rubbish. It was the previous manager. Martinez has done pretty well. Unlucky to come up against a wonderful France side in 2018. He has only managed Belgium at 2 tournaments. 7 defeats in 68 games.

Mark wilmots is the one who buggered Belgiums big chance in 2016. You're honestly chatting rubbish, no offence.

2018 they lost to winners and better side France in the semis . 2020 they're 2 best players were injured and they lost 2-1 to winners Italy. Tell me again how that's extremely disappointing? They've also held world number one spot for 3 years now I believe.

Stevie Reid
14-12-2021, 01:36 PM

Cough, Cathro, Cough

Cathro was 30 when he was appointed Hearts manager, and had no playing career to speak of. Had an impressive coaching CV before and since, certainly.

Maloney will be 39 next month, had a brilliant playing career, and has an impressive coaching CV.

He'll be a huge risk, but the similarities with Cathro just aren't there.

Stevie Reid
14-12-2021, 01:40 PM
I think it’s a let wait and see, nobody knows appointment.

Of course people will have opinions and initial thoughts but I can understand both sides. There’s elements of the appointment that could be considered very exciting, there’s also elements I’m a bit concerned about.

He might be *****, he might be brilliant but i doubt if we’ll be able to work that out from looking at his CV.

As is the case with any appointment we could make.

This is probably much more risky than many other options we had - if it goes ahead. But many posters were encouraging Hibs to look beyond the usual horizons - I would say that this qualifies as that.

Actually quite excited at the prospect.

Tyler Durden
14-12-2021, 01:40 PM

Sorry but this is a terrible take. Belgium beat Brazil in a WC Quarter Final and then lost out to France due to one set piece goal.

They were slightly disappointing at the Euros but were contending with serious injury issues and ultimately lost to the winners in a very tight game.

Roberto Martinez had Everton in 4th place and won the FA Cup at Wigan.

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2021, 01:42 PM
Sorry but this is a terrible take. Belgium beat Brazil in a WC Quarter Final and then lost out to France due to one set piece goal.

They were slightly disappointing at the Euros but were contending with serious injury issues and ultimately lost to the winners in a very tight game.

Roberto Martinez had Everton in 4th place and won the FA Cup at Wigan.
Martinez had Everton 5th on 76 points or something ridiculous. Ye was actually extremely unlucky to miss top 4. Really decent manager, and plays good football

JimBHibees
14-12-2021, 01:45 PM
It feels like nearly every manager has to have a connection with Celtic.

Not enthused by this if true.

Jack Ross or Hecky?

Greencore
14-12-2021, 01:46 PM
If its Maloney he would be the first Asian to manage hibs. (born in Malaysia)

Wrong* Terry butcher was born in Singapore.

bingo70
14-12-2021, 01:47 PM
Martinez had Everton 5th on 76 points or something ridiculous. Ye was actually extremely unlucky to miss top 4. Really decent manager, and plays good football

That excites me more than the players he’s coached.

If Martinez’s teams all want to play good attacking football and Maloney has just spent the last however many years basically studying from him then hopefully he’s got a good idea or two of how to implement them.

Just listened to a podcast he was on with Graham Hunter and I’ll admit I still find him a tough listen but Tony Mowbrey was pretty dull sounding too. Ultimately if the teams playing well on the pitch I couldn’t care about the rest.

tmb1875
14-12-2021, 01:48 PM
What does it matter what Roberto Martinez has or has not done, he’s not going to be the next manager of hibs is he. Maloney and even more so Caldwell is sending me into cold sweats! [emoji23] we need a leader not these 2, duller than jack ross. This is not the time for experiments. Go and get Alec Neil ffs hibs.

thebausburst
14-12-2021, 01:49 PM
Decidedly meh about the appointment tbh, Hibs record of first time bosses is generally awful.

Smartie
14-12-2021, 01:49 PM

Cough, Cathro, Cough

Also Mowbray and Stubbs though.

This is a route that has served us well in the past.

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2021, 01:51 PM
What does it matter what Roberto Martinez has or has not done, he’s not going to be the next manager of hibs is he. Maloney and even more so Caldwell is sending me into cold sweats! [emoji23] we need a leader not these 2, duller than jack ross. This is not the time for experiments. Go and get Alec Neil ffs hibs.

Why aren't these 2 leaders? Willing to bet both have won more and captained bigger clubs than Neil did.

Stevie Reid
14-12-2021, 01:51 PM
Decidedly meh about the appointment tbh, Hibs record of first time bosses is generally awful.

Who do you mean? Sauzee is the obvious bad one.

Collins and Stubbs are two of the few managers to win anything at Hibs. Mowbray had us 3rd and 4th in successive seasons.

bingo70
14-12-2021, 01:52 PM

Stubbs won the Scottish cup
Collins won the CIS cup
Mowbrey had us playing our best football in years.

It’s our experienced appointments that have been the problem.

bingo70
14-12-2021, 01:53 PM
Who do you mean? Sauzee is the obvious bad one.

Collins and Stubbs are two of the few managers to win anything at Hibs. Mowbray had us 3rd and 4th in successive seasons.

Aye but apart from them….. 😂

Is It On....
14-12-2021, 01:57 PM

No experience of Scottish football - seriously underwhelmed 👀😂

Dashing Bob S
14-12-2021, 02:03 PM
Baloney.

We need a manager who can inspire men to dress better and women to remove their clothing.

Bring back Jack.

tmb1875
14-12-2021, 02:04 PM
Why aren't these 2 leaders? Willing to bet both have won more and captained bigger clubs than Neil did.

Have you listened to either of them speak recently, not talking about their club careers, plenty players have been leaders on the park but not carried that into management. Caldwell for example. Neil has proven himself in Scotland and England.

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2021, 02:06 PM
Have you listened to either of them speak recently, not talking about their club careers, plenty players have been leaders on the park but not carried that into management. Caldwell for example. Neil has proven himself in Scotland and England.

Neil's had his chance at Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2021, 02:07 PM
Can he play as a lone striker?

Hibbyradge
14-12-2021, 02:17 PM

Cough, Cathro, Cough

Stubbs, cough, Mourhino...

CockneyRebel
14-12-2021, 02:19 PM
Can he play as a lone striker?

I think he plays as a malone striker.

I'll shut the door on the way out.

Keith_M
14-12-2021, 02:25 PM
I've already decided on a song for him, for when it all goes mammaries skyward.

:singing:

"Shaun Maloney,
Loada Baloney,
Get him right tae ....."

Boss_Nass
14-12-2021, 02:26 PM
The answer in my view is Lennon back on deal till end of season then assess options then. Lennon won’t relegate us and crucially will fire up the players for Sunday. Appreciate that Lennon is looking increasingly unlikely.

Some odd interpretations of Martinez at club and international level. As someone earlier said however he’s not joining Hibs, his ball boy is. Really strange behaviour but hopefully it pays off likes.

If Maloney does come in does he takeover final? Would prefer Gray to take the players for that. Thoughts?

tmb1875
Neil's had his chance at Hibs.

Alec Neil

He's here!
Most of the papers now seem to think this is all but a done deal.

The Sun reports says that Caldwell is currently working at Man City?

Callum_62
Just listened to a podcast he was on with Graham Hunter and I’ll admit I still find him a tough listen but Tony Mowbrey was pretty dull sounding too. Ultimately if the teams playing well on the pitch I couldn’t care about the rest.

first bad run he has i'll guarantee we see comments like "how can he inspire the team"

Since452
14-12-2021, 02:27 PM
The answer in my view is Lennon back on deal till end of season then assess options then. Lennon won’t relegate us and crucially will fire up the players for Sunday. Appreciate that Lennon is looking increasingly unlikely.

Some odd interpretations of Martinez at club and international level. As someone earlier said however he’s not joining Hibs, his ball boy is. Really strange behaviour but hopefully it pays off likes.

If Maloney does come in does he takeover final? Would prefer Gray to take the players for that. Thoughts?

Huge chance Lennon would take us down if he continued the form he left us in.

Callum_62
14-12-2021, 02:27 PM

:giruy2:

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2021, 02:30 PM

Mate, you literally posted a bunch of lies about Maloney and Martinez. That was the only odd take.

bingo70
14-12-2021, 02:33 PM
first bad run he has i'll guarantee we see comments like "how can he inspire the team"

If he’s not inspiring the team to play well then yes, that’ll be a criticism.

I’m looking for the positives and they’re not hard to find if you want to. That said, I do get the scepticism. He’s not your usual manager and I don’t really see him controlling a difficult changing room. That’s not what his job is at Belgium before anybody says it.

That said, I think there’s enough there to be positive about. I think he’ll want us playing the right way. I’d like to think he’s not the usual bog standard Scottish manager, I’d like to think the players will respect him as they’re professionals and not dicks and hopefully between him and Caldwell they’ll have a lot of contacts in the game. For all Caldwell had a nightmare at Patrick and came across as an erse, he did a very good job at Wigan so he’s not an idiot.

Time will tell but if he’s coming in, there’s no point only looking at the negatives.

tamig
14-12-2021, 02:34 PM

What a thoroughly disrespectful post.

What’s the strange behaviour you mention?

Boss_Nass
14-12-2021, 02:37 PM
What a thoroughly disrespectful post.

What’s the strange behaviour you mention?

Strange in that Hibs appear to be on verge of appointing part of the coaching team of Belgium who has no experience whatsoever. Wasn’t meant as a dig. Not sure how it was disrespectful either - just a game of opinions on here. That’s all.

bigwheel
14-12-2021, 02:38 PM
Strange in that Hibs appear to be on verge of appointing part of the coaching team of Belgium who has no experience whatsoever. Wasn’t meant as a dig. Not sure how it was disrespectful either - just a game of opinions on here. That’s all.

“Ball boy”…..

jacomo
14-12-2021, 02:40 PM

My thoughts? You’re a Yam.

Northernhibee
14-12-2021, 02:41 PM

Hi Neil. Still don't want you back.

Boss_Nass
14-12-2021, 02:41 PM
“Ball boy”…..

That was perhaps a bit strong……the point is he’s not in the same league as other floated candidates like A Neil, McInnes or Lennon.

Would we not be better just giving it to David Gray if we are going to appoint Maloney?

ancient hibee
14-12-2021, 02:42 PM

The “likes”is a giveaway I’m afraid. It’s only used by people pretending to be Hibs supporters and think that’s how we all speak.

Hiber-nation
14-12-2021, 02:45 PM
That was perhaps a bit strong……the point is he’s not in the same league as other floated candidates like A Neil, McInnes or Lennon.

Would we not be better just giving it to David Gray if we are going to appoint Maloney?

Aye if you can name the top International team has SDG been an assistant of?

Boss_Nass
14-12-2021, 02:46 PM
Hi Neil. Still don't want you back.

Rumbled 😂 can we not put the Kamberi incident behind us?!

bigwheel
14-12-2021, 02:47 PM

That would have been a less aggressive post to make - you’ve come on like a banshee waving their axe around …if you are a good Hibee - welcome ! But perhaps just chill and take part …or else it feels like you are just here to troll and stir things up ..

Tambo
I hope Kensell gets this one right.

bigwheel
I hope Kensell gets this one right.

Don’t we all ! [emoji120][emoji1696]

Boss_Nass
14-12-2021, 02:50 PM
Aye if you can name the top International team has SDG been an assistant of?

Okay he’s not got that experience but he’s a young aspiring coach who has good connections with the club, this set of players and will be backed to the hilt by the fans. Is he not in the same bracket as Stubbs etc who haven’t really managed to any great level previously but could help build a team.

I guess my point is that with Ross going most fans would have expected an upgrade on him and I just don’t think appointing Maloney, who has a bit more intl experience than SDG, is such an upgrade.

McInnes is an automatic no for me- I’ve made my thoughts clear on Lennon which obviously isn’t happening - is Alex Neil not the obvious option?

Boss_Nass
That would have been a less aggressive post to make - you’ve come on like a banshee waving their axe around …if you are a good Hibee - welcome ! But perhaps just chill and take part …or else it feels like you are just here to troll and stir things up ..

Sorry not my intention at all.

RyeSloan

Have you any idea of what his role in the Belgium set up is?

Or are you just assuming the assistant coach role at one of the worlds top international team’s is really not that important or critical and Martinez just has him around for a laugh?

Unseen work
14-12-2021, 02:51 PM
First signing - Tony Watt

bigwheel
14-12-2021, 02:52 PM
Okay he’s not got that experience but he’s a young aspiring coach who has good connections with the club, this set of players and will be backed to the hilt by the fans. Is he not in the same bracket as Stubbs etc who haven’t really managed to any great level previously but could help build a team.

I guess my point is that with Ross going most fans would have expected an upgrade on him and I just don’t think appointing Maloney, who has a bit more intl experience than SDG, is such an upgrade.

McInnes is an automatic no for me- I’ve made my thoughts clear on Lennon which obviously isn’t happening - is Alex Neil not the obvious option?

I reckon it will be all about what the total management team is …Stubbs wasn’t about him, he was good because he had an experienced group beside him . Gerard had Beale and McAllister …I think if it is Maloney, he needs some experience with him …to balance out the newness in his role

Boss_Nass
14-12-2021, 02:53 PM
Have you any idea of what his role in the Belgium set up is?

Or are you just assuming the assistant coach role at one of the worlds top international team’s is really not that important or critical and Martinez just has him around for a laugh?

He’s the assistant, I don’t know much more than that. I assume Martinez has him around because of the Wigan connection and they work well together.

Hibernian Verse
14-12-2021, 02:54 PM
Don’t we all ! [emoji120][emoji1696]

Pretty clear that there are a number of people that would prefer he got it wrong so they can continue their constant bleating.

Neily1982
14-12-2021, 02:55 PM
Listen I will get behind the team no matter who the manager is and will support them, but for me this is not a good appointment far to big a risk and I see it ending in tears

Boss_Nass
14-12-2021, 02:55 PM
I reckon it will be all about what the total management team is …Stubbs wasn’t about him, he was good because he had an experienced group beside him . Gerard had Beale and McAllister …I think if it is Maloney, he needs some experience with him …to balance out the newness in his role

Totally agree. If it is Caldwell I don’t think that is necessarily the more experienced head we need. From memory his last real coaching role was Partick which seemed to go south quickly.

Smiggy 7-0
14-12-2021, 02:57 PM
Seems maloney and g caldwell to be announce this afternoon..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoZ7JXkv6_o

I Hope

JeMeSouviens
First signing - Tony Watt

Heard something? Or just who you'd like?

Hibbyradge
He’s the assistant, I don’t know much more than that. I assume Martinez has him around because of the Wigan connection and they work well together.

"Has him around"?

He's the assistant manager, not just a lap dog, and he's been there for over 3 years.

HoboHarry
14-12-2021, 03:01 PM
Might be worth considering starting a book on how long our new friend lasts :greengrin

bigwheel
14-12-2021, 03:02 PM
Pretty clear that there are a number of people that would prefer he got it wrong so they can continue their constant bleating.

I don’t like the way it appears that our club is being run tbh - but I hope they get it right - love our team - so I dearly hope we make a good appointment and start to see results improve. [emoji120][emoji119]

Boss_Nass
14-12-2021, 03:02 PM
"Has him around"?

He's the assistant manager, not just a lap dog, and he's been there for over 3 years.

Not trying to get backs up but the assistant role in absence of any first team management experience isn’t exactly inspiring for a club like ours who want a good quality product on pitch. I could be wrong about this but I’m sure the last assistant at Belgium was Thierry Henry who then went to Monaco which was an unmitigated disaster. He presumably got that job on back of his assistant role at Belgium along with his playing career etc.

RyeSloan
14-12-2021, 03:03 PM

So in other words you have no idea of the level Maloney is operating at and the technical and tactical knowledge he would need to be in that role.

Maybe go and have a wee read of some of the articles about Maloney and his time with Belgium as well as what Martinez says about him before writing him off as a ball boy!

Personally I think it’s quite an exciting appointment that is happily removed from the norm. Risky for sure but if it works it should work big time!

GreenPJ
14-12-2021, 03:05 PM
Not trying to get backs up but the assistant role in absence of any first team management experience isn’t exactly inspiring for a club like ours who want a good quality product on pitch. I could be wrong about this but I’m sure the last assistant at Belgium was Thierry Henry who then went to Monaco which was an unmitigated disaster. He presumably got that job on back of his assistant role at Belgium along with his playing career etc.

So you are taking two completely different people, personalities, characteristics, potentially view on the game and assuming the same outcome?

Boss_Nass
So in other words you have no idea of the level Maloney is operating at and the technical and tactical knowledge he would need to be in that role.

Maybe go and have a wee read of some of the articles about Maloney and his time with Belgium as well as what Martinez says about him before writing him off as a ball boy!

Personally I think it’s quite an exciting appointment that is happily removed from the norm. Risky for sure but if it works it should work big time!

As always with these things there is a great deal of uncertainty and I truly hope I’m wrong but just expressing initial thoughts. Ball boy was too strong on my part, granted.

JeMeSouviens

To be fair, if he goes matchday tracksuit he could easily be mistaken for one. Maybe go the suit road, Shaun? :wink:

bingo70
14-12-2021, 03:06 PM
"Has him around"?

Genuine question this but is he actually assistant manager or on the coaching staff? What role did Thierry Henry have in the Belgium coaching set up?

Listened to his podcast with Graham Hunter this afternoon. I’d be lying if I said I thought it was brilliant but there was something l liked. He was asked how he dealt with the big names and egos in the squad and he just said the only way he knew how to was to be himself. He knows he’s quiet and softly spoken, if he tried to be anything different to impress them it wouldn’t work. Only reason I mention that is I’ve worried on his media appearances he was trying to be this Mr Sensible that had swallowed a coaching manual, I don’t think he seemed natural. The fact I’ve got that wrong and he recognises it’s fine to be quiet and there’s other ways to lead is encouraging.

Appointing a new manager isn’t an exact science, I hope we’ve got this one right.

Boss_Nass
14-12-2021, 03:07 PM
So you are taking two completely different people, personalities, characteristics, potentially view on the game and assuming the same outcome?

The point made was that I was belittling the Belgium assistant manager post and qualifies therein. I’m pointing to an example when it went badly wrong despite those qualities. My point as stated above is that it doesn’t feel like a next level appointment.

Jim44
14-12-2021, 03:10 PM

Not getting my back up but giving increased cause for concern. I suppose those who want to see a more flamboyant attacking Hibs team might consider an appointment like Maloney as worth a gamble. I’m not so sure and would prefer someone with a bit more experience of club management. Both attributes would be good.

bigwheel
14-12-2021, 03:11 PM
Genuine question this but is he actually assistant manager or on the coaching staff? What role did Thierry Henry have in the Belgium coaching set up?

Listened to his podcast with Graham Hunter this afternoon. I’d be lying if I said I thought it was brilliant but there was something l liked. He was asked how he dealt with the big names and egos in the squad and he just said the only way he knew how to was to be himself. He knows he’s quiet and softly spoken, if he tried to be anything different to impress them it wouldn’t work. Only reason I mention that is I’ve worried on his media appearances he was trying to be this Mr Sensible that had swallowed a coaching manual, I don’t think he seemed natural. The fact I’ve got that wrong and he recognises it’s fine to be quiet and there’s other ways to lead is encouraging.

Appointing a new manager isn’t an exact science, I hope we’ve got this one right.

He is joint assistant manager with Henry ….some interesting observations there in your post

Hibbyradge
14-12-2021, 03:11 PM

Jose Mourhino spent his first 13 years as an assistant, some of it at junior level.

Mowbray and Stubbs had never been in charge before either.

Gerard had precisely zero coaching or management experience and he's now in charge at Villa.

You have no idea what Maloney does in his role at Belgium and you have no idea what he might bring to football management.

If you really are a Hibs supporter, then get off the guy's back before he's even been announced. Otherwise, carry on berating him.

Oscar T Grouch
14-12-2021, 03:12 PM
BBC Article from a few years ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49944760

JeMeSouviens
14-12-2021, 03:13 PM
Jose Mourhino spent his first 13 years as an assistant, some of it at junior level.

Gerard had precisely zero coaching or management experience and he's now in charge at Villa.

You have no idea what Maloney does in his role at Belgium and you have no idea what he might bring to football management.

If you really are a Hibs supporter, then get off the guy's back before he's even been announced. Otherwise, carry on berating him.

Some of it doing Geordie <> Spanish translation for Bobby Robson at Barca.

Hibbyradge
14-12-2021, 03:15 PM
Some of it doing Geordie <> Spanish translation for Bobby Robson at Barca.

Indeed. The Real fans used to wind up the Barca fans by referring to him as "the translator". It probably annoyed Mourinho too!

WhileTheChief..
14-12-2021, 03:18 PM
A ? in the thread title would have been good.

Inconsequential
14-12-2021, 03:19 PM
If Shaun Maloney is to be appointed so be it. I would be fairly happy and glad the club has resisted appointing one of the old guard. Didn't want Lennon, McInnes or Neil. These three would just be moving sideways and would be just replacing like for like. Maloney is young and has a lot to prove. The appointment is similar to when Mowbray and Stubbs got the hot seat. Knutsen seems a successful coach maybe go for both! 😁

Skol
14-12-2021, 03:22 PM
If it is Maloney it is somewhat of a gamble. The kind of gamble that worked on Mowbray and Stubbs, however it could just as easily backfire. Calderwood anyone, or Cathro.

If it is Maloney then I will be 100% behind him, and I couldnt say that if it was Lennon or McInnes. I would prefer he didnt bring Caldwell with him though

Renfrew_Hibby
14-12-2021, 03:23 PM
The biggest challenge of my managerial career, says Pep.

How will he outwit Robbie Replay?

WhileTheChief..
14-12-2021, 03:24 PM
This has grown arms and legs.

One little rumour this morning and now we’re taking it as gospel?

No chance it’s Maloney.

jacomo
14-12-2021, 03:24 PM

Gerrard was coaching at Liverpool was he not?

I take your point though.

timewilltell
14-12-2021, 03:25 PM
A ? in the thread title would have been good.

Agreed, title is misleading.

Callum_62
14-12-2021, 03:25 PM

No chance it’s Maloney.

I think there's a reasonable chance it is

RyeSloan
14-12-2021, 03:26 PM

No chance it’s Maloney.

Dunno about that The Sun is normally pretty accurate with this type of stuff.

B.H.F.C
14-12-2021, 03:26 PM

No chance it’s Maloney.

Out of interest, why do you think there is no chance of it happening?

Who are we more likely to go for that is realistically available?

Hibbyradge
14-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Gerrard was coaching at Liverpool was he not?

I take your point though.

Yes, he coached their under 18s, but never higher and he was never even close to a managerial role. As far as I can find out, anyway.

Boss_Nass
14-12-2021, 03:30 PM
Whether he comes or goes I hope Gray keeps an unbeaten record as manager and hopefully gets a decent win tonight and on Sunday. GGTTH!

Boss_Nass
14-12-2021, 03:32 PM

I’m half glass empty sort of person when it comes to these things. I’m not berating him- I’m just a little concerned as this really was not the kind of appointment I expected (or indeed anyone else for that matter). I’m going along to back the team tonight

Shrekko
14-12-2021, 03:32 PM

No chance it’s Maloney.

You still have time to edit or delete this...

Crab apple
14-12-2021, 03:33 PM
I think RG and BK should be congratulated for moving relatively quickly to get a deal done. There was a worry after sacking JR that we had no plan in place and this could have drifted on for some time. Maloney seems to be highly regarded as a coach and should bring some decent tactical awareness. Whether he can make it as the main man only time will tell. I'm not sure about Caldwell particularly after his last stint at Thistle ended so acrimoniously but at least he's not the main man.

Hibbyradge
14-12-2021, 03:33 PM
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49944760.amp

His philosophy sounds quite similar to Bielsa's at Leeds and they're usually good to watch.

JimBHibees
14-12-2021, 03:34 PM

Really good read.

WhileTheChief..
14-12-2021, 03:34 PM
Out of interest, why do you think there is no chance of it happening?

Who are we more likely to go for that is realistically available?

I don’t have any names in mind but this just seems so unrealistic to me.

I’d have thought RG would want an experienced manager in. This just looks ridiculous.

Might as well give the gig to SDG or Stevenson or Hanlon.

Anywys, I’m not getting my knickers in a twist over it, I don’t think there’s a remote possibility of it happening :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
14-12-2021, 03:35 PM
You still have time to edit or delete this...

Haha, I’m so confused, I have no idea if he’s been appointed or we’re all just following one daft rumour!!

Callum_62
14-12-2021, 03:35 PM
I don’t have any names in mind but this just seems so unrealistic to me.

I’d have thought RG would want an experienced manager in. This just looks ridiculous.

Might as well give the gig to SDG or Stevenson or Hanlon.

Anywys, I’m not getting my knickers in a twist over it, I don’t think there’s a remote possibility of it happening :greengrin

hahah at the 3 you listed

in what way is that the same?

Heisenberg
14-12-2021, 03:37 PM
I think there's a reasonable chance it is

Yeah same here, looking very like it’s Maloney. The Sun journo that did the story is usually spot on.

WhileTheChief..
14-12-2021, 03:38 PM
hahah at the 3 you listed

in what way is that the same?

I’m just bumping my gums in a non angry, bemused kinda way.

I’ll get over it it if happens.

bingo70
14-12-2021, 03:39 PM
Haha, I’m so confused, I have no idea if he’s been appointed or we’re all just following one daft rumour!!

I think the fact they even know who his assistant is going to be is a pretty good sign it’s happening.

This isn’t just throwing a name in their as clickbait.

JeMeSouviens
14-12-2021, 03:45 PM

It's a win-win. Either you get a big "told you so" or Hibs are going so well you don't care. :greengrin

Diclonius
14-12-2021, 03:47 PM
I'm confused as to what people actually want from a Hibs manager. What makes this such a disastrous appointment?

Bostonhibby
14-12-2021, 03:47 PM
Haha, I’m so confused, I have no idea if he’s been appointed or we’re all just following one daft rumour!!It's the Caldwell part that makes me hope you're right[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Smartie
14-12-2021, 03:55 PM

Do you not think it sounds like he’s served a half decent apprenticeship… and has earned the chance for someone, somewhere to take a punt on him?

Gray is still very early in his coaching career although not as early as the others you mentioned.

Every appointment is a risk and everyone we’ve been linked with has imperfections.

I like the sound of him - and the more times has gone by I’ve struggled to see anyone of the other names we’ve been linked to as being an obvious step up from Jack Ross.

Ben’s comments earlier today about an attacking philosophy and now what I read about Maloney - all sounds pretty good to me tbh.

Diclonius
14-12-2021, 03:58 PM
Mowbray, Collins and Stubbs were all young managers with no prior experience. They also had the dreaded link to Celtic.

They all did well enough (the much-maligned Collins still won a cup). What's the problem this time around?

bigwheel
14-12-2021, 03:59 PM
Mowbray, Collins and Stubbs were all young managers with no prior experience. They also had the dreaded link to Celtic.

They all did well enough (the much-maligned Collins still won a cup). What's the problem this time around?

Collins had Tommy Craig , Stubbs had Doolan and Taff, Mowbray had been coaching at club reserves level ….I think the management team is as important as the Head Coach

mixu83
14-12-2021, 04:02 PM
I'm confused as to what people actually want from a Hibs manager. What makes this such a disastrous appointment?

The fans want a progressive manager who plays attacking football. Someone who is European or has some European experience and can take us to the next level to compete with Rangers and Celtic.

Assuming it is Maloney......

The club act quickly to recruit a highly regarded young Scottish coach. He has a sound philosophy and belief in the "positional football" favoured by Roberto Martinez and Pep Guardiola. He has a masters from the Johan Cruyff Football Institute and a good few years as assistant manager with Belgium managing some of the best players in Europe. In addition, the Assistant appears to be Gary Caldwell who is working at Man City under Guardiola, a double appointment which appears to have been well though with strategic thinking from the club.

Hibs Fans "Maybe we should just go for McInnes". :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
^^ If we’re going for untried but with potential I’d have rather stuck with JR.

With that ship having sailed, If we’re going for someone with no managerial experience, then might as well keep it in house and let SDG crack on if he wants to.

Maloney will be like Heckingbottom, absolutely nothing to lose by coming here.

I hate the fact that anyone with such little experience has the audacity to apply for the Hibs gig as if it’s just any old job.

It’s not. It’s one of the top 5 jobs in Scottish football and should be treated as such.

I work in financial services. It would be like me applying for a directors role at Barclays or HSBC.

MWHIBBIES
Collins had Tommy Craig , Stubbs had Doolan and Taff, Mowbray had been coaching at club reserves level ….I think the management team is as important as the Head Coach

This is a real worry for me. Could do with an experienced coach that is proven. This is also not the type of appointment that usual works mid season

J-C

Cracking read, it's this type of footballing philosophy that gets the juices going. Having an attack minded coach who appreciates possession and control is something to get excited about, Gerrard had Rangers playing that fluid passing/ attacking football also and Ange at Celtic trying to do the same.

overdrive
14-12-2021, 04:05 PM
Willing to give Maloney a chance. He seems to have a decent pedigree as a coach, if no management experience (that didn't count against Stubbs and Mowbray).

I'm less keen on Calamity Lego Heid being involved with the Club.

A Hi-Bee
14-12-2021, 04:05 PM
Cracking read, it's this type of footballing philosophy that gets the juices going. Having an attack minded coach who appreciates possession and control is something to get excited about, Gerrard had Rangers playing that fluid passing/ attacking football also and Ange at Celtic trying to do the same.

Need the quality of player that can do this, although the board have said they have plans in place to support whoever gets the managers job.
:flag::flag::flag:

CapitalGreen
14-12-2021, 04:07 PM

Both Mowbray and Stubbs had extensive experience of club football including managing youth levels.

Collins had destroyed the morale of a cup winning team within 6 months of being appointed. While tactically he was good, his man management was lacking.

J-C
14-12-2021, 04:08 PM
Willing to give Maloney a chance. He seems to have a decent pedigree as a coach, if no management experience (that didn't count against Stubbs and Mowbray).

I'm less keen on Calamity Lego Heid being involved with the Club.

TBF the role is Head Coach, manager's are a thing of the past, he's being brought in to coach the players and do the odd press conference, the buying and selling of players is now done by others.

Gordy M
14-12-2021, 04:08 PM
^^ If we’re going for untried but with potential I’d have rather stuck with JR.

With that ship having sailed, If we’re going for someone with no managerial experience, then might as well keep it in house and let SDG crack on if he wants to.

Maloney will be like Heckingbottom, absolutely nothing to lose by coming here.

I hate the fact that anyone with such little experience has the audacity to apply for the Hibs gig as if it’s just any old job.

It’s not. It’s one of the top 5 jobs in Scottish football and should be treated as such.

I work in financial services. It would be like me applying for a directors role at Barclays or HSBC.

Its really not though, he is the assistant manager at one of the top international teams in the world. He has done his time as an assistant, and now looking for the next step as ALL managers have to do at some point??

CapitalGreen
14-12-2021, 04:10 PM
Its really not though, he is the assistant manager at one of the top international teams in the world. He has done his time as an assistant, and now looking for the next step as ALL managers have to do at some point??

As were Thierry Henry and Graeme Jones who both turned out to be quite dreadful as managers in their own right.

J-C
14-12-2021, 04:10 PM
Need the quality of player that can do this, although the board have said they have plans in place to support whoever gets the managers job.

This is my hope, the players we have cannot play a high press/high tempo game, it can't be done over night but if it is Maloney the I expect to see a good few changes, especially in midfield and up front.

Gordy M
14-12-2021, 04:13 PM
As were Thierry Henry and Graeme Jones who both turned out to be quite dreadful as managers in their own right.

Aye you have already posted that, and it is still irelevant. The point is, Maloney is qualified to apply for, and get the hibs job, if he does. That was the point. We will have to wait and see if he is success.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 04:14 PM
Caldwell is a big heided donkey. Maloney is meh.

Would rather have given Jack more time. Club obviously looking for young coaches to develop players and sell on instead of experience of building a team to compete.

Skol
14-12-2021, 04:15 PM

I dont think its a disaster as such, or at least not yet, but more of a gamble.

Northernhibee
14-12-2021, 04:15 PM

Again, thank goodness we’re not hiring Thierry Henry or Graeme Jones as manager then.

overdrive
14-12-2021, 04:17 PM
TBF the role is Head Coach, manager's are a thing of the past, he's being brought in to coach the players and do the odd press conference, the buying and selling of players is now done by others.

Despite the job title and specifics of who does what, the Head Coach is essentially the manager. A manager does more than recruitment. Being the main man, providing leadership to the players, making tough decisions, being the one who is ultimately responsible and accountable for results is very different to what a coach or even assistant manager/assistant Head Coach is asked to do. Some will be able to transition easily. Some won't.

J-C
14-12-2021, 04:18 PM
Caldwell is a big heided donkey. Maloney is meh.

Would rather have given Jack more time. Club obviously looking for young coaches to develop players and sell on instead of experience of building a team to compete.

And you know this how? Are you privy to what is said at board meetings or just talking bollocks.

madhatter
14-12-2021, 04:20 PM
When does Knudsen start?

StockholmHibs
14-12-2021, 04:23 PM
A safe pair of hands possibly. Someone with experience tried and tested SPL manager.
Why should Hibs risk it with some new kid?
It could all go south damn quick and we'll find us in the Championship again.

lord bunberry
14-12-2021, 04:24 PM
I think as I get older and the managers get younger my faith in them to do a good job lessens. How old was Mowbray when he took over?

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2021, 04:24 PM
A safe pair of hands possibly. Someone with experience tried and tested SPL manager.

2014 left some deep scars on here.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 04:26 PM
And you know this how? Are you privy to what is said at board meetings or just talking bollocks.

What credentials does Maloney bring then?

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 04:27 PM
I think as I get older and the managers get younger my faith in them to do a good job lessens. How old was Mowbray when he took over?

madhatter
14-12-2021, 04:29 PM
I'm struggling to see the thinking behind this tbh. An assistant manager with decent experience in International football and a coach with a fairly patchy past in management. Both quite young and inexperienced when it comes to their elective roles. Bit strange when tied in with Jack Ross sacking tbh.

lord bunberry
14-12-2021, 04:29 PM
That was ancient to me at the time :greengrin

HoboHarry
14-12-2021, 04:31 PM
So has Maloney been appointed or is all this chat conjecture?

CapitalGreen
14-12-2021, 04:32 PM
Aye you have already posted that, and it is still irelevant. The point is, Maloney is qualified to apply for, and get the hibs job, if he does. That was the point. We will have to wait and see if he is success.

It’s not irrelevant at all if you believe being an assistant coach at international level shouldn’t be enough on its own to qualify someone for a club managers job. I want someone who has, at a minimum, a few years experience of working day to day within a club set up.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 04:33 PM
That was ancient to me at the time :greengrin

Same :greengrin Now I'm feeling my age.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 04:34 PM
So has Maloney been appointed or is all this chat conjecture?

They are talking on Go Radio like it will be made official tomorrow.

Gordy M
It’s not irrelevant at all if you believe being an assistant coach at international level shouldn’t be enough on its own to qualify someone for a club managers job. I want someone who has, at a minimum, a few years experience of working day to day within a club set up.

Yeh like calderwood, fenlon, heckingbotham, butcher etc......no thanks.

A Hi-Bee
I'm struggling to see the thinking behind this tbh. An assistant manager with decent experience in International football and a coach with a fairly patchy past in management. Both quite young and inexperienced when it comes to their elective roles. Bit strange when tied in with Jack Ross sacking tbh.

A bit of the good guy (cop) bad guy (cop) insert as applicable, nothing new and can work very well when carried out by suitable people, time will tell if this happens or it is all just a load of sheite, to hide who is really going to be our new manager.
:thumbsup:

HoboHarry
Like Bobby Williamson and Jim Duffy had for example?

Ringothedog
14-12-2021, 04:35 PM

Which one do you think it is? No prizes for getting the correct answer

JimBHibees
14-12-2021, 04:35 PM

Excellent coach experience of working at a higher level than here. Awareness and practice in top level tactical changes prior to a game and within a game situation. Leading on coaching sessions at elite level.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 04:37 PM
Excellent coach experience of working at a higher level than here. Awareness and practice in top level tactical changes prior to a game and within a game situation. Leading on coaching sessions at elite level.

He's no day to day experience and is more of a Scout when they aren't together. He's never managed a team, not even a Youth team.

It's a massive, massive gamble.

A Hi-Bee
14-12-2021, 04:40 PM
He's no day to day experience and is more of a Scout when they aren't together. He's never managed a team, not even a Youth team.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the dice, and trust in the owner etc to put the right man in place to manage his team and to look after our club.

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2021, 04:40 PM
Honestly, no one has any idea how it will go. It's a risk but worst that happens is we bin him. He can read and write so he's got enough to stop us going down.

Hopefully he's an absolute genius.

Gordy M
14-12-2021, 04:42 PM

Well he was with Celtic under 20s for a year if that counts as a youth team?

Coach Jon
14-12-2021, 04:46 PM
Sometimes you just gotta roll the dice, and trust in the owner etc to put the right man in place to manage his team and to look after our club.

I think "roll the dice" is not the way we should be going with this.

tmb1875
14-12-2021, 04:47 PM
Maloney has been part of the back room staff at Belgium for the last 3 years but how much coaching has he actually done in that time? He’s not been involved in day to day football management, how is anything he’s learned relavent to working with players at our level. He’s going from warming up the best players in the world to trying to get our defence to stop conceding from cross balls [emoji23].

Daily Hibs
14-12-2021, 04:48 PM
If it is Maloney it feels like a big gamble.

hibsbollah
I think "roll the dice" is not the way we should be going with this.

I’m happy enough to join the dice rollers on the Maloney gravy train :agree:

The 90+2

Maybe at the end of the season. Half Way through when we are in a rut bringing in inexperienced manager to try and turn results around get us playing decent football too?

He's done loads of Scouting so lets hope he's ideas for players to come in come January to hit the ground running.

It's blind trust, and it's not a good thing.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 04:49 PM

Sways it for me then. Sacking Jack makes complete sense now.

Since452
14-12-2021, 04:49 PM
This has a very Stephen Glass feel about it. Now is not the time for a gamble.

IncredibleHibee
14-12-2021, 04:51 PM

Seems a reasonable request to me

CapitalGreen
14-12-2021, 04:51 PM

Not managing he wasn’t, he was working under Tommy McIntyre.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 04:52 PM

At least he had 4 years experience managing.

IncredibleHibee
14-12-2021, 04:54 PM
relegation beckons

Gordy M
Sways it for me then. Sacking Jack makes complete sense now.

Nah you got your facts wrong to suit your argument......

Northernhibee

May also have a bit of a Stubbs/Mowbray feel about it too. Let’s wait and see.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 04:55 PM
Nah you got your facts wrong to suit your argument......

Nope, see above. He wasn't in charge. :aok:

WhileTheChief..
14-12-2021, 04:55 PM
If you’ve ever heard Caldwell talking about football you would understand why people are concerned about him, nothing to do with how he left Hibs.

Zero chance he’s coming as assistant. Zero. Zilch.

Getting scared thinking about it when I’ve never really bothered about assistants before. This would just be so wrong that I still don’t think there’s any truth in it.

BK said they were going through a rigorous process. That can’t mean we end up with this. Dread to think what other names we looked at if this is the best of the lot.

May21/05/16
14-12-2021, 04:56 PM
I'm all for it it shows me that the club are thinking outside box and these two won't come cheap as well as paying off jack to which I disagreed with Ron is putting up

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Vini1875
14-12-2021, 04:58 PM
I think it is a risk, but most managerial appointments are a risk. The thing is, it is a gamble, get it right and who knows how good it could be, cups, Europe, exciting football. Get it wrong and up in the bottom 6 and look for someone else in the summer.

My bet is that Shaun Maloney will prove to be an inspired choice, winning a cup in his first game.

Golden Bear
14-12-2021, 04:59 PM
If you’ve ever heard Caldwell talking about football you would understand why people are concerned about him, nothing to do with how he left Hibs.

Getting scared thinking about it when I’ve never really bothered about assistants before. This would just be so wrong that I still don’t think there’s any truth in it.

BK said they were going through a rigorous process. That can’t mean we end up with this. Dread to think what other names we looked at if this is the best of the lot.

Maybe you could ask Lenny to be Shaun's assistant?

:greengrin

Northernhibee
14-12-2021, 04:59 PM
I'm all for it it shows me that the club are thinking outside box and these two won't come cheap as well as paying off jack to which I disagreed with Ron is putting up

Yep. The only way we can make big steps forward is with a big gamble and if he’s interviewed well then there can be no doubt that he’s got a very interesting CV and is worth a punt.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 05:00 PM

:agree: :top marks

If we think Caldwell as assistant manager is the best way forward it's deeply concerning and like you it's nothing to do with him being a tit.

Gordy M
Nope, see above. He wasn't in charge. :aok:

You wrote he has had no day to day experience......anyway im sure we both want himto be a success.....yes??

WhileTheChief..

Decent compromise :aok:

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 05:01 PM

Get Big Dunc in as assistant.

Now that would be the ultimate good cop bad cop :greengrin

HoboHarry
14-12-2021, 05:03 PM
When is the time to gamble?

WhileTheChief..
14-12-2021, 05:04 PM
Get Big Dunc in as assistant.

Now that would be the ultimate good cop bad cop :greengrin

Big Dunc as Lenny’s assistant would do.

Or the other way round.

Shaun can stay where he is.

Tommy75
14-12-2021, 05:05 PM

If not now, when is the time for a gamble? I actually think now is a good time for a gamble. We are not in a relegation battle or holding on to a European spot so what's to lose? We're not a bad team, with a few tweaks under the right manager we could be right up there competing. Admittedly it could go the other way but we thought we were getting a safe pair of hands in Butcher.

J-C
14-12-2021, 05:05 PM

A damn site more than you or me, that's for sure.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 05:06 PM
You wrote he has had no day to day experience......anyway im sure we both want himto be a success.....yes??

He's no day to day experience as a manager at any level and coaches from time to time.

Obviously, why wouldn't I want the Hibernian manager to be a success? :confused:

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 05:06 PM
A damn site more than you or me, that's for sure.

That's true. As much as we would be a dream team JC I don't think we would justify sacking Jack Ross for either.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 05:07 PM

Or the other way round.

That would last approximately 5 mins :greengrin

Numptie
14-12-2021, 05:08 PM
Lukaku isn't doing all that well, maybe he can be persuaded to come to the mighty Hibees. On a realistic note, Maloney might know of some underrated European talent - we seem to have gone off looking for European hidden gems!!

May21/05/16
14-12-2021, 05:09 PM
Yep. The only way we can make big steps forward is with a big gamble and if he’s interviewed well then there can be no doubt that he’s got a very interesting CV and is worth a punt.[emoji106]

Northernhibee
14-12-2021, 05:14 PM
Also worth pointing out that the last time we were relegated it was by going for a safe, established option.

Heisenberg
14-12-2021, 05:16 PM

Or the other way round.

Both horrible suggestions.

I’d rather wait and see how Maloney gets on (if he is appointed) before launching my toys out the pram.

GreenCastle
14-12-2021, 05:16 PM
If you have Maloney, Innes and Neil CV in front of you - the latter 2 would definitely tick more boxes on day to day managing.

Maloney will really have to have a good vision and used examples of his work at Belgium and limited time at Celtic coaching.

Looking at Belgium formations it seems 4-4-3 / 3-4-2-1 are what they play?

hibsbollah
14-12-2021, 05:19 PM
If you have Maloney, Innes and Neil CV in front of you - the latter 2 would definitely tick more boxes on day to day managing.

Maloney will really have to have a good vision and used examples of his work at Belgium and limited time at Celtic coaching.

It was 3-4-3 for a long time, that was Martinez’ favoured formation, he may have changed it since then.

WhileTheChief..
14-12-2021, 05:22 PM
Both horrible suggestions.

I’d rather wait and see how Maloney gets on (if he is appointed) before launching my toys out the pram.

Yeah, wasn’t entirely serious with that one.

I’d take Ferguson over Maloney though.

Leith Green
14-12-2021, 05:22 PM
Im a hell of a lot more excited now than i was when i heard some of the usual suspects being banded about. Not sure what peoples expectations of mcinnes would have been. Aberdeen were a horrible watch under him , and that was with good players to choose from. People wanting lennon , did they not watch how bad we became under him?

Cheshire Hibee
14-12-2021, 05:23 PM
I’m happy to go with Maloney, he’s worked under a very good manager in Martinez and hopefully may have some knowledge of untapped young players in Europe. We took risks with Mowbray & Stubbs and they worked and I see know reason why this can’t. I’d rather give someone young and ambitious a shot.

lord bunberry
14-12-2021, 05:24 PM
If not now, when is the time for a gamble? I actually think now is a good time for a gamble. We are not in a relegation battle or holding on to a European spot so what's to lose? We're not a bad team, with a few tweaks under the right manager we could be right up there competing. Admittedly it could go the other way but we thought we were getting a safe pair of hands in Butcher.
The time for a gamble is when you’ve nothing to lose, I’d hardly describe us as being in that position. That being said I’m not adverse to trying something different, I’m just not sure this is the right time for it. I tend to think that starting the season with an untried manager as less of a risk as you have time to rectify the situation if it goes tits up.

GreenCastle
14-12-2021, 05:25 PM
He must be one of the youngest Hibs managers ever ?

Obviously SDG is 33 so maybe the youngest also?

hibsbollah
I think the main thing is that posters get their positions on a proposed new manager appointment in nice and early, so they can refer back in future months and crow about how right they were about the decision either way :agree:

The 90+2
Yeah, wasn’t entirely serious with that one.

I’d take Ferguson over Maloney though.

Again :agree:

WeeRussell
14-12-2021, 05:27 PM

I wouldn’t give it to Innes without a clause that he’s to stay strictly away from Midori.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 05:28 PM
Do we actually know he's getting the job? Just cos the crappy Sun says something it doesn't mean it's actually true.

Kenny Miller is big pals with Caldwell and he's been talking like it's a done deal. Wonder if Kenny will be asked back in some capacity too.

The Modfather
14-12-2021, 05:28 PM
5hite, cheap appointment.

And then there’s that a55 clown Caldwell.

Missing Jack Ross already.

Shambolic set of actions from Hibs.

I’m sure there was cheaper options than the assistant manager of the number 1 ranked team in the world.

It doesn’t feel like the new manager is going to get a fair crack of the whip from some simply because his biggest crime is that he isn’t Jack Ross.

madhatter
14-12-2021, 05:30 PM
I'll get behind whoever gets the job but this has me worried. Big risk if this one is true, got to give credit to Hibs for their boldness though. Spluttering along and look to fix it with a management team with virtually no club management experience between them.

Hopefully one day we will stop being Celtic B team who uses St Mirren as a feeder club though. One of these days.

Hibbyradge
14-12-2021, 05:31 PM

Butcher was tried and tested...

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 05:32 PM

He was also a see you next Tuesday.

davhibby
14-12-2021, 05:32 PM
I’m sure there was cheaper options than the assistant manager of the number 1 ranked team in the world.

It doesn’t feel like the new manager is going to get a fair crack of the whip from some simply because his biggest crime is that he isn’t Jack Ross.

I’d say with most who think it’s a terrible appointment the biggest crime is that he’s not Neil Lennon. I’m excited to see what Maloney can do, if he gets us playing exciting football and is backed in the transfer window in the areas where we’re in desperate need then I’ll be happy.

loanheadhibby
14-12-2021, 05:33 PM
Honestly, no one has any idea how it will go. It's a risk but worst that happens is we bin him. He can read and write so he's got enough to stop us going down.

It's not often I agree with you but I do here.
A slight risk but certainly not a massive gamble.
If it doesn't work he'll be sacked and we start again.

hughio
14-12-2021, 05:34 PM
I’m happy to go with Maloney, he’s worked under a very good manager in Martinez and hopefully may have some knowledge of untapped young players in Europe. We took risks with Mowbray & Stubbs and they worked and I see know reason why this can’t. I’d rather give someone young and ambitious a shot.
Agree.He is a thoughtful type,speaks well,has recent playing experience at a high level,international coaching experience FFS what’s not to like? Everything is a gamble.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 05:35 PM
I’d say with most who think it’s a terrible appointment the biggest crime is that he’s not Neil Lennon. I’m excited to see what Maloney can do, if he gets us playing exciting football and is backed in the transfer window in the areas where we’re in desperate need then I’ll be happy.

I would rather we appoint Maloney than Lennon 100%. But I still think sacking Jack Ross to bring in an untested coach half way through the season is foolish.

Maloney is the ultimate hail Mary hope for the best based on absolutely zero. If he was coming through the ranks as an up an coming coach managing B sides showing what he has in mind to bring to the club I would totally understand.

Because he's a cone boy for KDB once every wee while? Not as much.

lord bunberry
14-12-2021, 05:40 PM
Given that he’s technically from Aberdeen can I be the first to call him Shaun the Sheep :greengrin

Hibbyradge
14-12-2021, 05:40 PM
Mourinho to Man United - failed.

Inexperienced Gerard to Sevco - unbeaten season.

Inexperienced Stubbs to Hibs - Holy Grail.

Experienced Butcher to Hibs - relegation.

There are no guarantees of success so giving a young ambitious coach their first shot at the top job is no more a risk than anyone else.

j'adorehibs
14-12-2021, 05:41 PM

There are no guarantees of success so giving a young ambitious coach their first shot at the top job is no more a risk than anyone else.

exactly

if its maloney hes impressed the ceo etc

will get my support

Hiber-nation
14-12-2021, 05:41 PM
Because he's a cone boy for KDB once every wee while? Not as much.

If you want to keep banging on about it you'll need to put up a better case than that garbage.

CapitalGreen
14-12-2021, 05:42 PM

If only a middle ground still existed on the internet, we could sensibly debate the numerous options which lie between experienced dinosaurs like Butcher and novice coaches with no managerial experience like Maloney.

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 05:43 PM
If you want to keep banging on about it you'll need to put up a better case than that garbage.

Lets all close our eyes and hope sacking the manager that got us third a few months back and replace him with someone with no experience of football management works then :agree:

Dalianwanda
14-12-2021, 05:43 PM

Exactly this. Looking forward to see what he does if appointed, we certainly have the potential of a very good team with more players to come.

lord bunberry
14-12-2021, 05:45 PM
Lets all close our eyes and hope sacking the manager that got us third a few months back and replace him with someone with no experience of football management works then :agree:
That does seem to be the plan.

Callum_62
14-12-2021, 05:49 PM
Hopefully one day we will stop being Celtic B team who uses St Mirren as a feeder club though. One of these days.

Chorley Hibee
14-12-2021, 05:49 PM
If only a middle ground still existed on the internet, we could sensibly debate the numerous options which lie between experienced dinosaurs like Butcher and novice coaches with no managerial experience like Maloney.

Agreed, it's not a black and white choice.

flash
14-12-2021, 05:50 PM

I forgot what a pain in the erse you are when you go off on one.
Welcome back.:greengrin

madhatter
14-12-2021, 05:53 PM

:fishin:

noz
14-12-2021, 05:54 PM
not sure if someone has already posted this, if Maloney gets the job, think Im right in saying the other two guys we appointed who hadnt managed before, both won us cups - Collins and Stubbs!

Potty78
14-12-2021, 05:55 PM
None of us know how this will play out but if its Shaun Maloney he'll have my full backing. As fans of this club we all need to back him��

Waxy
14-12-2021, 05:56 PM

Lol thats exactly where i am.
What i take from all this is entertainment is just as important as results.
I hope Mr Maloney is reading this.

lord bunberry
14-12-2021, 05:57 PM
exactly

if its maloney hes impressed the ceo etc

will get my support
He’ll get my unconditional support as well, I’m a hibby and like everyone else I support the team and the club. At this point there’s nothing wrong with voicing opinions on whoever might take over. Maloney is definitely a risky appointment, but if he’s got a positive attack minded philosophy he’s half way there with me.

IncredibleHibee
14-12-2021, 05:59 PM

Keep going, I’m enjoying reading the comments from folk getting wound up by you 😂

P.s. I genuinely agree with your view

The 90+2
I forgot what a pain in the erse you are when you go off on one.
Welcome back.:greengrin

Fair point :greengrin

bigwheel

Made me laugh out loud this - post of the day [emoji1787]

Hibbyradge
14-12-2021, 06:04 PM

I am bang in the middle, CG.

There are those who are almost distraught about the possibility of Maloney coming in and those who are excited about it.

My point is that I have no idea if he'll be a success or not, but that equally applies if we brought in Neil, Lennon, Mcinnes or anyone else.

B.H.F.C
14-12-2021, 06:09 PM
That does seem to be the plan.

At least we have one. Plenty thought we didn’t.

erin go bragh
14-12-2021, 06:11 PM

One win in the last 10 league games is horrific form . Mowbray and Stubbs were untested in management and it worked out very well .

CapitalGreen
14-12-2021, 06:12 PM

There are those who are almost distraught about the possibility of Maloney coming in and those who are excited about it.

My point is that I have no idea if he'll be a success or not, but that equally applies if we brought in Neil, Lennon, Mcinnes or anyone else.

I wasn’t talking about on a happiness scale. I’m talking about people who’s immediate response to someone questioning the level of experience Maloney possesses is saying things along the lines of “well Butcher/Duffy had lots of experience and look how that turned out”.

Of course we don’t know how it will turn out regardless of who is brought in. Every manager will be a risk to a greater or lesser degree. Personally, I’d just prefer we mitigated some of that risk by avoiding someone who has no experience working within a club set up bar a short spell as a youth coach at Celtic 4 years ago.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2021, 06:16 PM

I think if we'd got Mcinnes, we knew what he'd bring to the club, he would have been my first choice as i believe he would have us hard to beat and up challenging where we should be.

When he first went to the sheep, they had some very good exciting players and played decent stuff too.

Maloney i have no idea how it will pan out, and because of that it probably excites me more, but it does worry me a little too.

Sometimes it's nice to have a little flutter. :greengrin

Cheshire Hibee
14-12-2021, 06:17 PM

This appointment does excite me more than a safe pair of hands like McKinnes who produced some boring football at the sheep. Lennon **** on the club at the end to back to the lesser greens. It’s a gamble but I’m happy to give the guy a chance.

hibbysam
14-12-2021, 06:18 PM
He’ll get my unconditional support as well, I’m a hibby and like everyone else I support the team and the club. At this point there’s nothing wrong with voicing opinions on whoever might take over. Maloney is definitely a risky appointment, but if he’s got a positive attack minded philosophy he’s half way there with me.

I’m at the point where I’d rather we took a risk with a manager that had a potential to take us up levels, than one that gets punted for every job in the country and will do ‘ok’ and leave in 18-24 months. Maloney may fail, but he’s obviously got a massive coaching background which is 80% of football these days. I’d rather a more experienced number 2, but would trust whoever Maloney decided to bring in.

Hibbyradge
14-12-2021, 06:23 PM
I wasn’t talking about on a happiness scale. I’m talking about people who’s immediate response to someone questioning the level of experience Maloney possesses is saying things along the lines of “well Butcher/Duffy had lots of experience and look how that turned out”.

Of course we don’t know how it will turn out regardless of who is brought in. Every manager will be a risk to a greater or lesser degree. Personally, I’d just prefer we mitigated some of that risk by avoiding someone who has no experience working within a club set up bar a short spell as a youth coach at Celtic 4 years ago.

That's an understandable that point of view.

On the plus side for Maloney is that he's worked for 3 years with players with huge personalities, egos and sensibilities which should equip him for dealing with most dressing rooms.

Also, the next generation of successful managers have to start somewhere, be that straight from playing, coaching or assisting another manager. With any luck, Maloney will be one of them.

Assuming he is coming to us, that is. If not, I couldn't give a monkeys!

Carheenlea
14-12-2021, 06:29 PM
Is Maloney a tracksuit, business suit, or sweater and slacks man?

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 06:31 PM
Keep going, I’m enjoying reading the comments from folk getting wound up by you 😂

P.s. I genuinely agree with your view

Cheers, I think. I've said my view though and as quoted and I'm not arguing I'm a bit of a tit with a bee in my bonnet so no point continuing. :aok:

Keith_M
14-12-2021, 06:33 PM

He's in the West Stand just now and is wearing a suit

Allegedly :wink:

ElginHibbie
14-12-2021, 06:33 PM

I'd put money on tracksuit

StockholmHibs
14-12-2021, 06:36 PM
What would you think if Hearts appointed Maloney?
You would be laughing your socks off.

04Sauzee
14-12-2021, 06:39 PM

Some would some wouldn't

HibbyAndy
14-12-2021, 06:40 PM

Nah Hearts appoint registered sex offenders and numbskulls like Cathro

The 90+2
14-12-2021, 06:40 PM

If they did then I would say he's probably an improvement to a manager who relegated MK Dons and lost in the Scottish Cup to Broara, the League Cup to Alloa and was 2 up against us a Tynie......:aok: