PDA

View Full Version : Macey

Mango Man
13-12-2021, 03:12 PM
This guy isn't good enough for us, he is maybe the worst kicker of any Hibs goalie I've ever seen, looks awkward, rarely uses his height to come and grab a ball, clearly has not built up an understanding with the defence and I don't think it's a coincidence that we just can't keep clean sheets anymore, new goalie has to be a priority in January.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2021, 03:13 PM
Way down the list of priorities.

chippy
13-12-2021, 03:14 PM
This guy isn't good enough for us, he is maybe the worst kicker of any Hibs goalie I've ever seen, looks awkward, rarely uses his height to come and grab a ball, clearly has not built up an understanding with the defence and I don't think it's a coincidence that we just can't keep clean sheets anymore, new goalie has to be a priority in January.

A bit harsh arguably but he’s not as good as Rocky, I like the look of big Kevin Dabrowski and I’d give him a few games to see what he’s made of.

eastterrace
13-12-2021, 03:14 PM
Way down the list of priorities.agree we need more important outfield players. Okay he is no the best keeper we have had but he ain’t as bad as some of the diddys that we have signed.

SMAXXA
13-12-2021, 03:17 PM

What a lot of pish

Mango Man
13-12-2021, 03:18 PM

Not sure if it's way down, obviously we have needed a striker and CH for ages, but goalies are pretty important too and with the amount of silly goals from crosses we concede, I think a keeper that breeds a bit more confidence and who is decent could make a huge difference. Look at Craig Gordon for Hearts, how many points has he saved for Hearts already, I wouldn't say Macey has saved us many points this season.

Mango Man
13-12-2021, 03:19 PM
What a lot of pish

Oh, fair enough, good point well made.

Scottie
13-12-2021, 03:21 PM
If he had a better defence in front of him he might be less hesitant in coming out. He's the least of our problems :rolleyes:

Halmyre Hibee
13-12-2021, 03:21 PM
I think Macey has been OK in recent games.
Rocky was good but also had his moments.
Goram, Rough & Leighton the best in my lifetime.

Tambo
13-12-2021, 03:22 PM
Definitely kicking not the greatest but I've seen him come and claim a ball many times.

Made some key saves at tynie also so think this is a bit harsh.

B.H.F.C
13-12-2021, 03:23 PM
If he had a better defence in front of him he might be less hesitant in coming out. He's the least of our problems :rolleyes:

It’s the same defence is last year, that performed well, so something has changed.

I don’t think he does too much wrong but definitely downgrade on what we had before IMO.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2021, 03:25 PM
Not sure if it's way down, obviously we have needed a striker and CH for ages, but goalies are pretty important too and with the amount of silly goals from crosses we concede, I think a keeper that breeds a bit more confidence and who is decent could make a huge difference. Look at Craig Gordon for Hearts, how many points has he saved for Hearts already, I wouldn't say Macey has saved us many points this season.

Manager
Head if recruitment
2 centre halfs
Striker
Attacking midfielder

All needed before a goalies even discussed. The distribution thing is nonsense - all goalies are rubbish at kicking on occasion, including Gordon and Rocky. The St Mirren keeper on Saturday was hopeless whereas Macey started the move for our goal.

easty
13-12-2021, 03:30 PM

I agree, but still want him replaced as soon as it's possible.

Scottie
13-12-2021, 03:32 PM
It’s the same defence is last year, that performed well, so something has changed.

I don’t think he does too much wrong but definitely downgrade on what we had before IMO.
But the defence has changed. The same players are playing worse than they did last year. Very unfair to blame the big man or compare him with Rocky last season.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-12-2021, 03:36 PM
It escapes me how we can blame a goalkeeper when our most glaring weakness is not stopping and then not dealing with, crosses into the box.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2021, 03:37 PM
It escapes me how we can blame a goalkeeper when our most glaring weakness is not stopping and then not dealing with, crosses into the box.

Yeah - the defence are all over the place. Take Saturday’s goal no one could expect the keeper to come for that.

B.H.F.C
13-12-2021, 03:39 PM
But the defence has changed. The same players are playing worse than they did last year. Very unfair to blame the big man or compare him with Rocky last season.

Not laying all the blame at his door. He can’t do anything about Paul Hanlon’s performance at Livingston last week for instance.

I do think it’s fair to compare him to the man he’s replaced though. If you’re looking to improve and bring in an inferior player (IMO) it obviously makes it more difficult to do so. As I say, I’m not being overly critical as I don’t think he’s the worst we’ve had, just doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Centre Hawf
13-12-2021, 03:51 PM
I stated my concerns with him a few months ago and admittedly it was probably too early to go ahead and make decisions on him so many were right to tell me to wait and see.

However I've yet to be impressed with him since then either, and while I agree that perhaps he isn't the biggest priority for January there is still a thought in my head that says if we can go out and get a confident keeper who can become a presence for his back 4 we might see an overnight shift in the soft as ***** goals we concede.

Either that or let's see what Dabrowski is made of, although not sure a young keeper is what we need at the moment either.

Hibiza
13-12-2021, 03:56 PM
Top goalie , surely top, or near to the top of the list . Macey is average at best. Dundee Utd fella is top notch.

The dalmeny
13-12-2021, 04:05 PM
Top goalie , surely top, or near to the top of the list . Macey is average at best. Dundee Utd fella is top notch.

Yet he cost them their goal the other day

jacomo
13-12-2021, 04:08 PM
A bit harsh arguably but he’s not as good as Rocky, I like the look of big Kevin Dabrowski and I’d give him a few games to see what he’s made of.

Why not? Give the lad a chance.

Mango Man
13-12-2021, 04:11 PM
Manager
Head if recruitment
2 centre halfs
Striker
Attacking midfielder

All needed before a goalies even discussed. The distribution thing is nonsense - all goalies are rubbish at kicking on occasion, including Gordon and Rocky. The St Mirren keeper on Saturday was hopeless whereas Macey started the move for our goal.

Was meaning more for the playing staff, not managers and head of recruitment. Sure all keepers fluff a kick now and again, but his kicks actually annoy me, he just kicks it out of play, or splaffs a kick into the air, I do think he is an ok shot stopper, but that's about it. I'm sure its mainly because his lack of first team football.

Inconsequential
13-12-2021, 04:12 PM
I think he is a very competent keeper. Maybe he doesn't come for crosses as that's what the defence is used to. His predecessor stayed rooted to his line. Rocky couldn't kick to save himself either but was great at making a routine save appear spectacular. My opinion only and shall remain that way. Thanks.

As for not building a understanding with the defence if the defenders could stop getting sent off the understanding might come. 😂

Centre Hawf
13-12-2021, 04:17 PM
Yet he cost them their goal the other day

Very good keeper overall, if there was even a remote chance of him being at Easter Road in January or the summer I'd snap it up.

allezsauzee
13-12-2021, 04:18 PM
Macey is one of the few signings we've made in the last 2 or 3 years who is good enough for us. These kind of posts always seem to have a rose tinted view of former players. Rocky wasn't great at crosses either and he made some howlers but he always recovered from them. From what I've seen Macey is a similar standard to Rocky.

hibbyfraelibby
13-12-2021, 04:27 PM
Manager
Head if recruitment
2 centre halfs
Striker
Attacking midfielder

I agree we don't need a new keeper but we need to play our best one...and he's sitting on the bench.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2021, 04:32 PM
Was meaning more for the playing staff, not managers and head of recruitment. Sure all keepers fluff a kick now and again, but his kicks actually annoy me, he just kicks it out of play, or splaffs a kick into the air, I do think he is an ok shot stopper, but that's about it. I'm sure its mainly because his lack of first team football.

Most if not all goalies do that in our league.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2021, 04:34 PM
I agree we don't need a new keeper but we need to play our best one...and he's sitting on the bench.

Never seen him play but if he’s better I agree. Could destroy him though - we’ve been here before. As soon as he delays a throw out by a fraction of a second or kicks the ball out on the full he’ll be tagged with “poor distribution” for ever more.

Greenbeard
13-12-2021, 04:38 PM
Macey is one of the few signings we've made in the last 2 or 3 years who is good enough for us. These kind of posts always seem to have a rose tinted view of former players. Rocky wasn't great at crosses either and he made some howlers but he always recovered from them. From what I've seen Macey is a similar standard to Rocky.
I agree. Swings and roundabouts on different aspects of their game but on balance IMO they are eexie overall. MM has made a fair number of vg saves recently.

CraigHibee
13-12-2021, 04:51 PM
Don't think macey has done too much wrong tbh, he is the least of our worries imo

hibsbollah
13-12-2021, 07:17 PM
Ridiculous.

I heard it said that Hibs fans place too much stock in derby performances. Well that’s odd because he put on an absolute goalkeeping clinic with Craig Gordon, how that game finished 0-0 I will never know.

He played really well the other day at Motherwell, a really decent 7.5/10 and he was still getting criticised.

The boy will never get a break from some on here.

Jones28
13-12-2021, 07:24 PM
Manager
Head if recruitment
2 centre halfs
Striker
Attacking midfielder

Yepp, that shopping list will get longer if Nisbet and Porteous leave in January.

hibby6270
13-12-2021, 07:30 PM
If kicking is the only real fault the OP can lay on Macey, we’ve not got much to worry about.
He’s been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, and if kicking was all you wanted from a keeper, then Jim Leighton would never have got near a Hibs team. That was his one weakness.
If it’s all Macey’s bad for as well, then we’ve got a decent keeper on our hands.

Since452
13-12-2021, 07:30 PM
Manager
Head if recruitment
2 centre halfs
Striker
Attacking midfielder

What an absolute cluster**** we've made of things since the end of last season.

The Modfather
13-12-2021, 07:31 PM
I’d have a new RB ahead of a new keeper in the priority list. I think Macey is fine, a solid enough keeper at our level but we won’t have to worry about losing him to a bigger club.

Libby Hibby
13-12-2021, 07:42 PM
Macey is just fine, nothing spectacular but rarely lets us down.

Least of our worries at present.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-12-2021, 07:55 PM
What’s the secret of good comedy and questioning the merits of a Hibs keeper before a final?

hibsbollah
13-12-2021, 07:56 PM
What’s the secret of good comedy and questioning the merits of a Hibs keeper before a final?

Malkowski vibes?

inglisavhibs
13-12-2021, 08:29 PM
Wait till he makes a few mistakes! He is the very least of our problems and has been a good signing.

CmoantheHibs
13-12-2021, 09:03 PM
Ridiculous.

I heard it said that Hibs fans place too much stock in derby performances. Well that’s odd because he put on an absolute goalkeeping clinic with Craig Gordon, how that game finished 0-0 I will never know.

He played really well the other day at Motherwell, a really decent 7.5/10 and he was still getting criticised.

The boy will never get a break from some on here.

:agree:
I think he has been terrific since coming in yet right from the start some were sniping at him. As far as coming for crosses I do think he didn’t come for them often enough initially but now he is coming for crosses pretty regularly. I do think his kicking isn’t great but then again I may be doing him a disservice and he is actually taking pot shots at his snipers:greengrin

greenlex
13-12-2021, 09:28 PM
:agree:
I think he has been terrific since coming in yet right from the start some were sniping at him. As far as coming for crosses I do think he didn’t come for them often enough initially but now he is coming for crosses pretty regularly. I do think his kicking isn’t great but then again I may be doing him a disservice and he is actually taking pot shots at his snipers:greengrin
Came for plenty at Hampden for sure. Either punched or caught. Didn’t spill one.

Shrekko
13-12-2021, 10:04 PM
Criticism he has taken is completely bizarre. He was judged early by a few as not being of the required level and they’ve used everything ever since to try and justify their stance.

Interesting that kicking and cross balls seem to the the most common gripes. Wonder if the same people applied the same criticism to our last goalie? I’m thinking possibly not.

He’s not perfect but he’s been good and likely to get better. Well down our list of problems.

Magpie
13-12-2021, 10:06 PM
Don’t mind Macey. I think he’s made more great saves than made mistakes. Marciano was awesome, was always going to be tough replacing him.

Forza Fred
14-12-2021, 04:56 AM
Macey will do me…can’t understand the negative thread.