PDA

View Full Version : Will we hear from the club today?

bingo70
13-12-2021, 08:52 AM
I am totally behind the decision to sack Jack Ross. It was the right move IMO and I have no issues with the timing of it either.

I don’t buy into the idea that the fact he’s not been replaced yet shows there’s no plan, it was only Thursday last week he was sacked. The idea he should be replaced by now is nuts IMO.

That said, I think we do need to hear from someone senior at the club today. Don’t really care whether that’s Ben Kinsell, Ian or Ron Gordon, someone needs to come out and give us an idea what happens now though.

In the past it’s been pretty clear what the strategy was, Mathie and his team would identify and research managers, they’d create a shortlist and we would make an appointment. That structure isn’t there now though so I think the club needs to let us into what’s happening and what rough timescales we should be looking it.

The club are taking a battering in the media just now and I get why, even if I don’t agree with the pundits. The optics of this sacking aren’t great and we need to come out explaining the decision and where we’re heading now better than we have done IMO

I think today is the day we need communication. I get why we wanted to get the St Mirren game out the way first of all but any later than today and it’ll look like we are being reactive to the beating we’re taking.

I remember Dempster giving a big interview on HibsTv after Heckingbottom was sacked, we need similar today IMO.

jeffers
13-12-2021, 08:58 AM
I am totally behind the decision to sack Jack Ross. It was the right move IMO and I have no issues with the timing of it either.

I don’t buy into the idea that the fact he’s not been replaced yet shows there’s no plan, it was only Thursday last week he was sacked. The idea he should be replaced by now is nuts IMO.

That said, I think we do need to hear from someone senior at the club today. Don’t really care whether that’s Ben Kinsell, Ian or Ron Gordon, someone needs to come out and give us an idea what happens now though.

In the past it’s been pretty clear what the strategy was, Mathie and his team would identify and research managers, they’d create a shortlist and we would make an appointment. That structure isn’t there now though so I think the club needs to let us into what’s happening and what rough timescales we should be looking it.

The club are taking a battering in the media just now and I get why, even if I don’t agree with the pundits. The optics of this sacking aren’t great and we need to come out explaining the decision and where we’re heading now better than we have done IMO

I think today is the day we need communication. I get why we wanted to get the St Mirren game out the way first of all but any later than today and it’ll look like we are being reactive to the beating we’re taking.

I remember Dempster giving a big interview on HibsTv after Heckingbottom was sacked, we need similar today IMO.

In total agreement.

Not caring about what the media say as they regularly like to take pot shots at us, but as fans it would be nice to hear we actually have plans in place. Also, if we have totally torn up the recruitment structure (as appears to be the case) what the setup will be moving forward.

Generally I think the RG era has been good, but the less we hear the more doubts creep in.

JimBHibees
13-12-2021, 09:01 AM

Agree we need some clear communication today especially with a game tomorrow and a major final in 6 days time.

Col2
13-12-2021, 09:11 AM
I thought we would have someone lined up given Thursday announcement timing. This doesn’t look like it’s the case.

We need to give SDG, the coaches and the players total clarity who is in charge for next 2 league games and cup final for next 9 days.

JimBHibees
13-12-2021, 09:12 AM
I thought we would have someone lined up given Thursday announcement timing. This doesn’t look like it’s the case.

We need to give SDG, the coaches and the players total clarity who is in charge for next 2 league games and cup final for next 9 days.

so did I assumed if we were going to sack him then a replacement was ready otherwise why bother.

evy
13-12-2021, 09:15 AM
so did I assumed if we were going to sack him then a replacement was ready otherwise why bother.

The club can't win. If they didn't sack Ross there'd have been plenty waiting to criticise the club saying they were accepting mediocrity. They have bowed to fan pressure and sacked him and now it's pointless because someone isn't in post 96 hours later......

wookie70
13-12-2021, 09:15 AM
Clear comms would be good but I suspect if we do hear anything it won't really tell us too much. Candidates will be invited to interview in the near future or similar. It wouldn't surprise me if SDG is still in the seat for a while longer. My concern is the winter transfer window as that is what Ross needed to change things up. Back in the pre Lennon days I wouldn't have been that bothered as I would have thought the recruitment team would have done the bulk of identifying and shortlisting players. Now I'm not convinced what we do now as the long term plans and structures LD had in place were watered down with Lennon and appear abandoned now.

HibsGW
13-12-2021, 09:19 AM
What is there for them to say really? The manager is sacked and we’re looking for a new manager, we’ll hear more when there’s news for us, this is the way it always goes

evy
13-12-2021, 09:23 AM
What is there for them to say really? The manager is sacked and we’re looking for a new manager, we’ll hear more when there’s news for us, this is the way it always goes

Folk on here will want to know what time they are expected to arrive to sit on the interview panel.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2021, 09:24 AM
Almost certainly not.

Callum_62
13-12-2021, 09:25 AM
I'm guessing folk wany to hear what our strategy is

What are we looking for? What's our expected time frame?

Who's involved in recruiting a manager?

There's lots they can talk about

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

easty
13-12-2021, 09:27 AM
The manager was sacked because our form was horrific. It happens all the time. You dinnae keep an underperforming manager just because you don't have someone else lined up. If you've decided he's not doing a good enough job, you get rid.

I liked Jack Ross, but I don't see how anyone can argue against his sacking based on the form/results/performances.

If we've not got someone lined up, that's fine by me. Take our time and get the right guy in, don't rush it.

bingo70
13-12-2021, 09:28 AM

It's not the way it always goes though. We normally hear from the club to explain a bit about what happens next and why we took the decision we did.

I would like to hear from the club about the following:-

Who is heading up the search for the replacement and what experience do they have in doing that? Are we using a third party to assist with the search?

When SDG got the caretaker job they said it was for the foreseeable future. That is a bit too vague for me, can they be more specific in terms of a rough idea of timescales.

Do they have any idea if they are likely to be looking for a manger from within the UK or is the search further afield.

Is there plans for an interim manager?

It has been reported we have been sounding out replacements for the last month, is there any truth in that?

The club have been slated for sacking the manager about 10 days before a cup final, why did we feel we needed to act now? (I know the answer to that but it would be good for the club to put forward our case)

JimBHibees
13-12-2021, 09:29 AM
The club can't win. If they didn't sack Ross there'd have been plenty waiting to criticise the club saying they were accepting mediocrity. They have bowed to fan pressure and sacked him and now it's pointless because someone isn't in post 96 hours later......

Of course they would be criticised whatever they did however the sheer volume of games at the moment to me just assumed if we were going to sack him there would be someone waiting.

Bostonhibby
13-12-2021, 09:39 AM
You'd like to think so, but I'm guessing not. unless we've got a new veggie snack lined up.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

matty_f
13-12-2021, 10:11 AM
I’d be really surprised if we heard anything. If we do it’ll be the usual “go through the process, we have some targets and also we’ve received a high volume of interested applicants of a high standard. An announcement will be made in due course etc etc etc”

easty
13-12-2021, 10:26 AM
I’d be really surprised if we heard anything. If we do it’ll be the usual “go through the process, we have some targets and also we’ve received a high volume of interested applicants of a high standard. An announcement will be made in due course etc etc etc”

The right thing to do.

Since452
13-12-2021, 10:39 AM
Hearing from the club doesn't really interest me. I'd rather they focused their efforts in to getting the right person in.

SlickShoes
13-12-2021, 10:44 AM
Hearing from the club doesn't really interest me. I'd rather they focused their efforts in to getting the right person in.

Yep, I agree, I want to hear when they have someone employed, otherwise I think we can all assume they are actively looking for someone.

HibsGW
13-12-2021, 10:52 AM

This is my view as well, anything at the moment would just be typical media rubbish.

Cat Stanton
13-12-2021, 10:58 AM
I'd like one of those Japanese-esque CEO apology videos - you know the type: lots of weeping, bowing, admissions of not having really thought this through (what with a cup final coming up and all that). And ending with Ron or Ben slapping their head, and saying "D'oh".

(So maybe less Japanese and more Simpsons actually).

lord bunberry
13-12-2021, 11:00 AM
I’m not really interested in anything they’ve got to say tbh unless it’s to tell us who the new manager is. Whoever it is to blame I don’t know, but we’ve went from being the 3rd best team in the country to a team that’s struggling to put a full strength team on the pitch at times. A threadbare squad that has been badly exposed is a shambolic state of affairs. We now don’t have a manager or a head of recruitment, we have the owners son hanging around doing **** knows what as we head into the January window. We’re not going to get answers to any questions today that’s for sure.

bingo70
13-12-2021, 11:03 AM

Can they not do both?

IMO the best time to speak to your ‘customers’ is when you’ve got nothing to say but want to keep them in the loop.

I’m generally interested in how this search is going to be done and how it’ll differ from previous searches.

Bobo
13-12-2021, 11:07 AM
Communications at the club are poor at best, there is very little content and seldom anything pertinent or worth reading. Most communications are just repeated attempts at squeezing more money out of the support rather than anything informative, I'm not surprised that there's a disconnect.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old git now but after 40 years as a season ticket holder, I can't find the same enthusiasm I used to with everything Hibs at the moment. 😕

Sioux
13-12-2021, 11:07 AM
It's not the way it always goes though. We normally hear from the club to explain a bit about what happens next and why we took the decision we did.

I would like to hear from the club about the following:-

Who is heading up the search for the replacement and what experience do they have in doing that? Are we using a third party to assist with the search?

When SDG got the caretaker job they said it was for the foreseeable future. That is a bit too vague for me, can they be more specific in terms of a rough idea of timescales.

Do they have any idea if they are likely to be looking for a manger from within the UK or is the search further afield.

Is there plans for an interim manager?

It has been reported we have been sounding out replacements for the last month, is there any truth in that?

The club have been slated for sacking the manager about 10 days before a cup final, why did we feel we needed to act now? (I know the answer to that but it would be good for the club to put forward our case)
This is just a big pile of words.

What difference will it make to you if you don't get what you want? On a positive note you didn't use the word 'entitled'.

The club will do what they need to do, and when. They shouldn't be playing this out by giving the media something to bite on.

GreenCastle
13-12-2021, 11:31 AM
There will be a prematch press conference probably with SDG today?

He was asked various questions pre-match Saturday - seemed a bit uncomfortable trying to answer some of the questions as he didn't know the answers and obviously had to be careful what was said.

Unseen work
13-12-2021, 11:40 AM
I never really get the huge fuss about hearing from the club.

Ross is sacked, Grey interim manager and we’re obviously doing work on getting our new man.

I don’t see the clamour for wanting to hear that in a 10 minute long interview.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2021, 11:44 AM
Can they not do both?

IMO the best time to speak to your ‘customers’ is when you’ve got nothing to say but want to keep them in the loop.

I’m generally interested in how this search is going to be done and how it’ll differ from previous searches.

Believe it or not Bingo - I agree with you.

theonlywayisup
13-12-2021, 11:56 AM
The manager was sacked because our form was horrific. It happens all the time. You dinnae keep an underperforming manager just because you don't have someone else lined up. If you've decided he's not doing a good enough job, you get rid.

I liked Jack Ross, but I don't see how anyone can argue against his sacking based on the form/results/performances.

If we've not got someone lined up, that's fine by me. Take our time and get the right guy in, don't rush it.

Because there is a body of opinion that you can't sack a manager who has taken us to 3rd in the league, our best result in circa 15 years, has a win percentage as good as the majority in recent years and the recent dip in form/results/performances are down to the lack of recruitment during the summer. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean that there is not an argument that we should have given him more time.

Anyway, he's gone now. Let's see who we get.

greenlex
13-12-2021, 11:58 AM
Unless I’m hearing we have a new manager then communication is pointless.

Billy Whizz
13-12-2021, 12:58 PM
There will be a prematch press conference probably with SDG today?

He was asked various questions pre-match Saturday - seemed a bit uncomfortable trying to answer some of the questions as he didn't know the answers and obviously had to be careful what was said.

You’d have thought so

Callum_62
13-12-2021, 01:10 PM
Unless I’m hearing we have a new manager then communication is pointless.I don't think laying out stategy is pointless at all
id welcome some comms about there vision and plan

hibbyfraelibby
13-12-2021, 04:31 PM
If you have nothing to say, why say anything?

bingo70
13-12-2021, 04:35 PM

Because if you only speak to people when you want money from them they won’t listen.

Some people don’t care about the recruitment process and only care about the end result, that’s fine, they don’t have to listen to or read any comms. Other people do care and want to know what the strategy and plan is now we don’t have a manager.

Iggy Pope
13-12-2021, 04:35 PM

:greengrin
nihil habeo dicere
As no one will ever say on Hibs.net

greenlex
13-12-2021, 04:43 PM
Because if you only speak to people when you want money from them they won’t listen.

Some people don’t care about the recruitment process and only care about the end result, that’s fine, they don’t have to listen to or read any comms. Other people do care and want to know what the strategy and plan is now we don’t have a manager.
Your implying that there is or indeed was a strategy. :dunno:

bingo70
13-12-2021, 04:48 PM
Your implying that there is or indeed was a strategy. :dunno:

Call me naive but I’d kind of hoped so, yes 😂

ancient hibee
13-12-2021, 05:51 PM

The strategy is that David Gray with the help of the other coaches will take charge of the first team squad until a new head coach is appointed. That is the masterplan.

Callum_62
13-12-2021, 05:55 PM
The strategy is that David Gray with the help of the other coaches will take charge of the first team squad until a new head coach is appointed. That is the masterplan.Yes but what are they looking for? Do they want a manager that plays more expansive?

Whats the long term vision?

What's the short term plan for the transfer window? Who's running the recruitment?

Etc etc

bingo70
13-12-2021, 05:55 PM
The strategy is that David Gray with the help of the other coaches will take charge of the first team squad until a new head coach is appointed. That is the masterplan.

That’s the short term plan for the first team, that’s not a club strategy.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2021, 05:59 PM

Its the only plan there is any evidence of tbh.

I personaly think we're just winging it, seeing who applies.

bigwheel
13-12-2021, 06:00 PM

So do I …knee jerk reaction from RG..no clear structure - now working out what to do

ancient hibee
13-12-2021, 06:03 PM

I'm aware of that but it's all you're going to get. As soon as there was no new coach announcement after the St Mirren game it was clear that the sacking was knee jerk reaction with no planning. I thought they made a mistake in sacking Ross but presumed it was all tied up with a successor agreed. Clearly not so it all goes into the total shambles bin.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2021, 06:05 PM
So do I …knee jerk reaction from RG..no clear structure - now working out what to do

Tbh, its probably as likely to land us a decent manager as anything.

bigwheel
13-12-2021, 06:06 PM
Tbh, its probably as likely to land us a decent manager as anything.

If they have a decent selection approach then yes …..Although we know it’s hard getting it right . In the short term, it’s probably made success on Sunday notably less likely . But hey ho …

bingo70
13-12-2021, 06:07 PM

The longer we go without hearing from the club I suspect you may be right.

That said, i will wait to see who we end up appointing. If we make a really ambitious appointment then I’ll change my mind back again.

Bostonhibby
13-12-2021, 06:12 PM
Heard from the club today, trying to flog me some Whisky.

Are they trying to tell me something? Are they setting us up for bad news?

Are we just saying **** it let's sell them booze, fancy pies and big Telly's instead.?

Rumble de Thump
13-12-2021, 06:12 PM
As always, we'll hold talks with our preferred candidates and make an offer to the one we think is best. That's surely always the plan, with no panic buttons and jerking knees in sight.

Iggy Pope
13-12-2021, 06:21 PM

Are we just saying **** it let's sell them booze, fancy pies and big Telly's instead.?

What fancy pies?

ancient hibee
13-12-2021, 06:24 PM
As always, we'll hold talks with our preferred candidates and make an offer to the one we think is best. That's surely always the plan, with no panic buttons and jerking knees in sight.

The jerking knee usually hits the panic button.

Bostonhibby
13-12-2021, 06:29 PM
What fancy pies?Euphemism for something I got earlier highlighting progress in the enhanced pastry based products department[emoji6]

PolmontHibby
13-12-2021, 06:35 PM

This made me think they are missing out on an opportunity to make choosing the next manager the first competition/poll for super fan, Fan Token holders. Gold level only of course.

,,,,,,and to be fair outcome couldnt be any worse than some we have had

Iggy Pope
13-12-2021, 06:36 PM
Euphemism for something I got earlier highlighting progress in the enhanced pastry based products department[emoji6]

Careful there, if you’re using pie as a euphemism for anything :wink:

Jim44
13-12-2021, 06:37 PM
Make a positive or negative sentence about Ron Gordon which includes at least three body parts.

‘Ron, in a knee jerk panic, has shot himself in the foot, which could send us to the bottom of the league.’

bigwheel
13-12-2021, 06:40 PM
Make a positive or negative sentence about Ron Gordon which includes at least three body parts.

‘Ron, in a knee jerk panic, has shot himself in the foot, which could send us to the bottom of the league.’

Ron is a ****, he is acting like a f****and is now clearly a p**** …

Just joining in [emoji2]

Bostonhibby
13-12-2021, 06:51 PM
Careful there, if you’re using pie as a euphemism for anything :wink:[emoji23][emoji106]

Bostonhibby
13-12-2021, 06:55 PM

‘Ron, in a knee jerk panic, has shot himself in the foot, which could send us to the bottom of the league.’Three body parts you say?

You need to get in touch with the newly formed Pie Division.

Billy Whizz
13-12-2021, 07:10 PM
SDG speaks, refreshing and positive interview from him, pre-match v Dundee

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMt-tqQuZ2w

Lago
13-12-2021, 07:20 PM
Unless I’m hearing we have a new manager then communication is pointless.
That's pretty much the bottom line

wookie70
13-12-2021, 07:22 PM
SDG speaks, refreshing and positive interview from him, pre-match v Dundee

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMt-tqQuZ2w

Very like a Jack Ross interview in lots of ways but I like the way he talked about winning games being about coaches and players. He certainly looks right at home as a 21st century manager saying all the right things and sounding like everything was prepared in advance. Nothing wrong with that and a skill that he obviously has sorted already

ahibby
13-12-2021, 07:35 PM

He says somethings tounge in cheek and clearly has an eye for a big telly.

jacomo
14-12-2021, 08:53 AM
Agree we need some clear communication today especially with a game tomorrow and a major final in 6 days time.

The Cup Final is the big issue for me.

It’s almost as if we are writing it off already, which isn’t something Hibs should ever do.

Hannah_hfc
14-12-2021, 09:07 AM
Statement from our CEO:

I would like to update supporters regarding the managerial position at Hibernian FC.

Firstly, I’d like to place on record my thanks to David Gray, Eddie May, and Craig Samson for taking charge of the First Team during this interim period. We have a big week coming up and I know how hard the players and management team are working to get the performances we are all looking for.

As they continue to work tirelessly, I am also fully focused on the task in hand to make sure we get the correct appointment to move this football club forwards.

I would like to assure all supporters that we are undergoing an incredibly thorough and strategic approach as we recruit a new manager. As a club you must continuously plan for the future and have a clear plan in-place for every eventuality due to the fast-moving and ever-changing nature of the sport. This has allowed us to stay in control of this rigorous process.

There has, unsurprisingly, been a lot of interest in the role and speculation in the media regarding the managerial position, and much of this has been wide of the mark.

We have a clear vision for the football club. We want to acquire a manager who has an attacking mentality and is progressive and hungry for the opportunity to build something special here at a big club in Hibs. In summary, our process has been robust, and there is clarity and a support plan for the manager we select that will help us achieve our long-term ambitions.

We are coming to a conclusion, but I’d urge everyone to get behind David Gray, his coaching staff, and the players at this evening’s important cinch Premiership game against Dundee, and we will update supporters in the near feature regarding an appointment.

Thanks for your continued support.

Ben Kensell

Looks like the club have taken on some fan feedback in providing an update here. Also promising that he has recognised the type of football the fans want to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcohibs
14-12-2021, 09:12 AM
The Cup Final is the big issue for me.

It’s almost as if we are writing it off already, which isn’t something Hibs should ever do.

The fact that the cup final wasn't mentioned in Ben's statement suggests to me that an appointment will be confirmed before then. 'Nearing a conclusion' indicates that they have found the man and are tying up the finer details

MacBean
14-12-2021, 09:17 AM
That Statement makes it sound like the Lennon chat is miles off and he won't be anywhere near us. I for one am happy to be reading that

we are hibs
14-12-2021, 09:19 AM
I dont think they'd put a manager in place for the final. He could be announced by then but i dont think he will be in the dugout on Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

bingo70
14-12-2021, 09:22 AM
I dont think they'd put a manager in place for the final. He could be announced by then but i dont think he will be in the dugout on Sunday.

I agree.

If I was the new manager I would almost think being in the dug out would be similar to John Terry appearing on the pitch in his full Chelsea gear.

I think we’ll appoint a new manager in the next day or two. He will meet the players at the end of the week but he’ll let Gray take them for the match on Sunday with him taking over properly on Monday.

Callum_62
14-12-2021, 09:23 AM
Welcome to Hibernian Malky Mckay!

Its nice to see that they at least want us to have an identity of attacking football

The fact he doesn't mention the final suggests that they might have someone in place by then and they have likely had some 'possibles' before Jack was sacked

We shall see I guess - doesnt rule out Lennon at all in my eyes

If we on the verge of appointing someone this week who's at a club im be surprised it hasnt leaked before now

Which leaves the unemployed market

davhibby
14-12-2021, 09:24 AM
Welcome to Hibernian Malky Mckay!

Its nice to see that they at least want us to have an identity of attacking football

The fact he doesn't mention the final suggests that they might have someone in place by then and they have likely had some 'possibles' before Jack was sacked

We shall see I guess - doesnt rule out Lennon at all in my eyes

If we on the verge of appointing someone this week who's at a club im be surprised it hasnt leaked before now

Which leaves the unemployed market

It pretty much says everyone linked in the papers is nowhere near the job. That rules out Lennon, as does the attacking football comment

FilipinoHibs
14-12-2021, 09:26 AM
Do our ITK posters not know what is going on?

Unseen work
14-12-2021, 09:32 AM
With Kensell saying it’s coming to a conclusion he must be quite confident he’ll get his man soon

Sounds like it won’t be Lennon or McInnes.

Callum_62
14-12-2021, 09:34 AM
It pretty much says everyone linked in the papers is nowhere near the job. That rules out Lennon, as does the attacking football comment

I doesn't rule out everyone at all - and Lennon does prefer attacking football

I think it might be Alex Neil (no idea if he plays attacking football mind)

Purely on the fact he's unemployed and if not McInnes or Lennon then I cant see anyone else obvious

bingo70
14-12-2021, 09:37 AM
With Kensell saying it’s coming to a conclusion he must be quite confident he’ll get his man soon

Sounds like it won’t be Lennon or McInnes.

Also sounds like it’ll be someone unemployed at present. The fact it’s not been leaked would suggest he is foreign with no links to the media here. I’m guessing American based with their season not long finished.

Feel like we’re in the final stages of being able to throw random names out there.

Latest one I’m going with is Gabriel Heinze. Think Ron and the boy from Aberdeen are pals and he’s got links with Atlanta where he was last.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gabriel-heinze/profil/trainer/41111

Callum_62
14-12-2021, 09:40 AM
Also sounds like it’ll be someone unemployed at present. The fact it’s not been leaked would suggest he is foreign with no links to the media here. I’m guessing American based with their season not long finished.

Feel like we’re in the final stages of being able to throw random names out there.

Latest one I’m going with is Gabriel Heinze. Think Ron and the boy from Aberdeen are pals and he’s got links with Atlanta where he was last.

Alex Neil will only be a disappointment now

2 British first names

be gutted

Unseen work
14-12-2021, 09:41 AM

I thought this but st the same time the manager might want a chance of it.

Underdogs
Celtic have a lot of players out injured
New manager bounce
Chance of instant success

It’s a bit of a win/win for him. Even if he loses not too many people will be surprised as it’s not expected for us to beat Celtic.

They might think it’s a free hit.

We still have a good team that can cause them problems.

Bobby's Cinema
14-12-2021, 09:42 AM

Personally would rather someone that knows the game and can get clear targets signed in Jan, I always think sides finishing in europe tend to have a manager with previous in scottish football and a consistent team year after year holding on to a core group of players.

Cat Stanton
14-12-2021, 09:44 AM
I doesn't rule out everyone at all - and Lennon does prefer attacking football

I think it might be Alex Neil (no idea if he plays attacking football mind)

Purely on the fact he's unemployed and if not McInnes or Lennon then I cant see anyone else obvious

In the EEN article, it says they "understand" that Lennon and McInnes aren't being considered. And the explicit mention of "attacking" football sounds a bit like a dig at McInnes. Then again, this is the EEN so could well be gibberish:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-new-manager-ben-kensell-updates-fans-on-search-for-new-boss-neil-lennon-and-derek-mcinnes-not-in-the-running-3493743

ps "Lennon and McInnes" sounds like a particularly **** Beatles tribute band (half angry, half turgid).

Greenio
14-12-2021, 10:01 AM
Seeing as our CEO is the only football person at the top table of our club just now, you'd like to think it'll be him leading the process.

So, imo, he'll be looking for a young up and coming manager (he's young himself and so more likely to connect to someone in his generation) that he either knows or knows the clubs they've been at in English leagues 1/2.

He's often liking and commenting on content from Plymouth, Hartlepool Cambridge Utd etc and others on LinkedIn. We've also got David Davies on the board (one of Rons 4 new appointments almost exactly a year ago), again English league experience with QPR. Not sure what that might add.

I can see Ben going for someone like Matt Taylor from Exeter City, lots of passion, good track record, well liked by the fans and prob looking to make a move.

Diclonius
14-12-2021, 10:16 AM
Gray will be in charge for the final. There's no way a new guy, even if appointed, will be ready by then.

Really underlines how bizarre the timing of the Ross sacking was.

Keith_M
14-12-2021, 10:17 AM
That'll be a no, then.

Willis1875
14-12-2021, 10:18 AM
Gray will be in charge for the final. There's no way a new guy, even if appointed, will be ready by then.

Maybe hoping for a new manager bounce going into the final,from the new managers POV it’s almost a free hit.Lose the game,supporters won’t be calling for your head…win it and your an instant hero

B.H.F.C
14-12-2021, 10:21 AM

It’s only bizarre of folk disagree with the decision to sack him. At full time last week, even most of his biggest supporters agreed his time was up. We were/are in an absolute slump and I think it would have been even more bizarre to give him more games if they’d decided he needed to go.

From the statement it doesn’t appear that there has been a total lack of a plan as has been levelled at them.

Keith_M
14-12-2021, 10:22 AM
Maybe hoping for a new manager bounce going into the final,from the new managers POV it’s almost a free hit.Lose the game,supporters won’t be calling for your head…win it and your an instant hero

That's a fair comment, as you can't argue with GVB's start at The Rangers.

They appeared to be sinking into disarray but he's certainly turned it round quickly enough.

Callum_62
14-12-2021, 10:23 AM
That's a fair comment, as you can't argue with GVB's start at The Rangers.

They appeared to be sinking into disarray but he's certainly turned it round quickly enough.

JimBHibees
14-12-2021, 10:57 AM
The fact that the cup final wasn't mentioned in Ben's statement suggests to me that an appointment will be confirmed before then. 'Nearing a conclusion' indicates that they have found the man and are tying up the finer details

That's what I read someone will likely be announced before the final or they hope to do so. Nearing conclusion says imminent to me. Will be interesting who is in the stand tonight.

Callum_62
14-12-2021, 11:00 AM
That's what I read someone will likely be announced before the final or they hope to do so. Nearing conclusion says imminent to me. Will be interesting who is in the stand tonight.

Harry Kewell no doubt

evy
14-12-2021, 11:12 AM
Shaun Maloney 3/1 favourite with McBookie now.

Northernhibee
14-12-2021, 11:23 AM
Shaun Maloney 3/1 favourite with McBookie now.

The more I think about that the more I think that’s quite an exciting appointment.

evy
14-12-2021, 11:25 AM
The more I think about that the more I think that’s quite an exciting appointment.

Definitely the name has gotten me more excited than the rest.

Callum_62
14-12-2021, 11:27 AM
I've never found him to make much sense on sportscene but he must have something to be where he is

Willis1875
14-12-2021, 11:28 AM
I've never found him to make much sense on sportscene but he must have something to be where he is

Not sure he would be anywhere near the Belgium setup if it wasn’t for Roberto Martinez

Waxy
14-12-2021, 11:28 AM

Very bizarre timing. So much so it’s like they didnt want to give JR the chance to turn it around just incase he did.

Stuart93
14-12-2021, 11:31 AM
Very bizarre timing. So much so it’s like they didnt want to give JR the chance to turn it around just incase he did.

Or they realised he’d had a few games to turn things round and hadn’t? Guess it depends what your view on his sacking is

Northernhibee
14-12-2021, 11:32 AM

He had nine games to turn it around. He got more than a fair chance.

sleeping giant
14-12-2021, 11:32 AM

Nothing bizzare about it.
Fairly normal that the manager is punted when there is a poor run of results.

Waxy
14-12-2021, 11:34 AM
Or they realised he’d had a few games to turn things round and hadn’t? Guess it depends what your view on his sacking is

To be honest i think he deserved more time due to the 3rd place and cup runs and i was surprised with the sacking.
I dont know though there’s usually more than meets the eye with these things.

NC1875
14-12-2021, 11:35 AM
In the EEN article, it says they "understand" that Lennon and McInnes aren't being considered. And the explicit mention of "attacking" football sounds a bit like a dig at McInnes. Then again, this is the EEN so could well be gibberish:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-new-manager-ben-kensell-updates-fans-on-search-for-new-boss-neil-lennon-and-derek-mcinnes-not-in-the-running-3493743

ps "Lennon and McInnes" sounds like a particularly **** Beatles tribute band (half angry, half turgid).

More likely a dig at Jack Ross and his only pass sideways or back the way midfield.

Willis1875
14-12-2021, 11:36 AM
He has had a fair few cracks at winning a trophy recently and fell woefully short everytime,maybe the thinking was to get rid now and try a different approach heading into Sunday

NAE NOOKIE
14-12-2021, 11:36 AM

I've read other fans saying this, but I'm struggling to see what that fan pressure amounted to. Yeh there was loads of grumbling on social media including on here about the bad run we were / are on, but there wasn't exactly chants of 'Ross out' from the crowd at ER and nothing like a demonstration in front of the main stand and it wasn't until the Livvie game that the away fans got really vocal. As any Hibs fan who has been going as long as I have will tell you other Hibs managers have been subjected to far worse for far longer than JR had before the club decided to act.

IMO two things prompted the club to act, the first was probably the obvious drop off in attendances with numbers of empty season ticket seats at ER growing bigger and bigger at each game and the second may have been that Hibs now have an ownership who just wont accept the type of run we had been on from any manager, only Ron Gordon can confirm that one.

Talking of Ron Gordon ... he has to accept that if the missing ST holders were JR's fault then a lot of the missing walk up fans were his for charging £35 for tickets and if action was needed to address the missing ST holders to the extent of sacking a guy weeks before Christmas then he has to address the problem he himself has caused by looking again at our maximum ticket price.

hibeerealist
14-12-2021, 11:54 AM
I've read other fans saying this, but I'm struggling to see what that fan pressure amounted to. Yeh there was loads of grumbling on social media including on here about the bad run we were / are on, but there wasn't exactly chants of 'Ross out' from the crowd at ER and nothing like a demonstration in front of the main stand and it wasn't until the Livvie game that the away fans got really vocal. As any Hibs fan who has been going as long as I have will tell you other Hibs managers have been subjected to far worse for far longer than JR had before the club decided to act.

IMO two things prompted the club to act, the first was probably the obvious drop off in attendances with numbers of empty season ticket seats at ER growing bigger and bigger at each game and the second may have been that Hibs now have an ownership who just wont accept the type of run we had been on from any manager, only Ron Gordon can confirm that one.

Talking of Ron Gordon ... he has to accept that if the missing ST holders were JR's fault then a lot of the missing walk up fans were his for charging £35 for tickets and if action was needed to address the missing ST holders to the extent of sacking a guy weeks before Christmas then he has to address the problem he himself has caused by looking again at our maximum ticket price.

Results and performances on the pitch are everything, they dictate crowd numbers and the board know, as do we as supporters, that crowds WILL increase if both are greatly improved. As I have heard many times from "football" people - its a results business, JR knew that too.

B.H.F.C
14-12-2021, 11:56 AM

Or maybe they just concluded he wasn’t turning it round and thought him remaining would make it worse?

jacomo
14-12-2021, 12:06 PM

‘We have a big week coming up’… he’s talking about the cup final there, no?

The comment about attacking football definitely reveals the reason we binned Jack… clearly, his cautious approach wasn’t wanted anymore.

Jim44
14-12-2021, 03:48 PM
In answer to the title of this thread, even though an appointment might be imminent, I don’t think it would be announced hours before an important match. Others might see it differently.