PDA

View Full Version : Club or Country incoming.

Forza Fred
13-12-2021, 08:25 AM
Australia are scheduled to play Vietnam in a ‘must win’ World Cup qualifier in Melbourne on January 27.

Only problem is that Hibs are scheduled to play Motherwell on January 26.

Our new manager may have a decision to make.

Steven79
13-12-2021, 08:26 AM
Australia are scheduled to play Vietnam in a ‘must win’ World Cup qualifier in Melbourne on January 27.

Our new manager may have a decision to make.Do we get a choice? If only McLeish had called him up for Scotland...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
13-12-2021, 08:27 AM
We play Cove in the Cup, previous weekend

BoomtownHibees
13-12-2021, 08:28 AM

Our new manager won’t have much of a choice

Forza Fred
13-12-2021, 08:28 AM
Do we get a choice? If only McLeish had called him up for Scotland...

Its not a world wide dedicated ‘international window’ I think, so it’s up to Hibs if they release him.

Steven79
13-12-2021, 08:29 AM
Its not a world wide dedicated ‘international window’ I think, so it’s up to Hibs if they release him.We pay his wages not Australia so I would try and keep him in Scotland.

Forza Fred
13-12-2021, 08:32 AM
Turns out it IS a dedicated transfer window in Asia….not sure how European based players are affected, but I think players based in Europe don’t have to be released….not sure of the ruling though.

Iain G
13-12-2021, 08:34 AM

If I was Martin I would love to be in Melbourne in January! :greengrin

ian cruise
13-12-2021, 08:40 AM
I suspect it will be down to the player as both Australia and Hibs view him as an important player and neither will want to cause him a reason to fall out with them, the fact that international travel is increasingly more difficult right now makes the decision even more tricky.

I suspect they'll all get together on a call and talk through the options (I'd certainly hope they did in this day and age) but ultimately Martin is going to end up disappointing some fans somewhere and probably feel a bit disappointed himself whichever games he's missing.

Hopefully the fans respect the decision he makes. Last thing we need are fans turning on Boyle should he chose to represent Australia for these games.

Billy Whizz
13-12-2021, 08:42 AM
I suspect it will be down to the player as both Australia and Hibs view him as an important player and neither will want to cause him a reason to fall out with them, the fact that international travel is increasingly more difficult right now makes the decision even more tricky.

I suspect they'll all get together on a call and talk through the options (I'd certainly hope they did in this day and age) but ultimately Martin is going to end up disappointing some fans somewhere and probably feel a bit disappointed himself whichever games he's missing.

Hopefully the fans respect the decision he makes. Last thing we need are fans turning on Boyle should he chose to represent Australia for these games.

Decision could be taken out of his hands, if he’s not allowed in Australia due to the virus

JimBHibees
13-12-2021, 08:42 AM
You would have assumed there would have been discussions already around this and an agreement reached as the games have been known for a while.

Steve20
13-12-2021, 08:45 AM
Club should come before country, but we all know that won't be the case.

Forza Fred
13-12-2021, 08:55 AM
You would have assumed there would have been discussions already around this and an agreement reached as the games have been known for a while.

Maybe it has……but would think all bets are off until the new manager has a say?

Speedy
13-12-2021, 09:27 AM
Club should come before country, but we all know that won't be the case.

I disagree. I think it's beneficial for all parties for players to be involved in competitive international football.

eastterrace
13-12-2021, 09:30 AM
He might not be our player by then.

JimBHibees
13-12-2021, 09:31 AM

True enough

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2021, 09:39 AM
He might not be our player by then.

He will 100% be our player by then. Boyle is by far the least likely Hibs player to leave. He was available for pennies, and no one took him. Either he isn't rated by clubs above us, or he doesn't want to move. He signed a new deal with no clause. He wont be going anywhere.

Hibs don't have a choice if Australia want him. He'll either join them or FIFA will step in and he'll be unable to play club games for that period. Boyle would need to refuse the call up himself or Hibs reach some deal with Australia where they don't call him.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2021, 09:40 AM

No manager has absolutely no say really.

Steven79
13-12-2021, 09:41 AM

You can't really plan that far ahead in the current climate.

We don't even know if the cup final THIS sunday will be happening...

lord bunberry
13-12-2021, 11:53 AM

Are Vietnam any good and are Australia likely to need all their best players for this game? If they say they need him then they’ll get him and we’ll just have to get on with it. We’ll have Müller in by then to take his place.

PatHead
13-12-2021, 12:02 PM
As the cup tie has been moved forward he should be available for that.

Forza Fred
13-12-2021, 08:20 PM
Are Vietnam any good and are Australia likely to need all their best players for this game? If they say they need him then they’ll get him and we’ll just have to get on with it. We’ll have Müller in by then to take his place.

Further complication is that they also are set to play Oman a few days later on Feb1.

Oz has had to play all their games so far away from home due to Covid and must win these two home games to stay in the running for a World Cup spot.

On paper Oz should beat Vietnam….but as the saying goes football is not played on paper and it’s a brave or foolish manager who takes any international game for granted.