PDA

View Full Version : A worthy appointment

Comiston Hibee
12-12-2021, 09:03 PM
Just watched Richard Foster and Mikey Stewart on Sportscene
“What is the remit for the next Hibs manager?
Get them into 3rd or 4th and a decent cup run
That’s what Jack Ross has done”

Cannot disagree with that

But is that not what Jack Ross did?

If I was Jack Ross I would probably put my CV in for the vacancy at Hibs. His record is much better than some others being considered for the job.
We have always been trail blazers ( Europe, shirt sponsorship, under soil heating, digital scoreboard)
Could Hibs be the first team to reappoint the manager that they have just sacked???

Steven79
12-12-2021, 09:05 PM

If I was Jack Ross I would probably put my CV in for the vacancy at Hibs. His record is much better than some others being considered for the job.
We have always been trail blazers ( Europe, shirt sponsorship, under soil heating, digital scoreboard)
Could Hibs be the first team to reappoint the manager that they have just sacked???Would we get a "new" manager bounce if we gave him the job?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
12-12-2021, 09:06 PM

Could Hibs be the first team to reappoint the manager that they have just sacked???

Should have kept this post for April 1st mate.....

Nicho87
12-12-2021, 09:07 PM
Doing it once though

This season we were destined for bottom six.

So as I said I respect some pundits but it’s a tunnel vision way of looking at it.

It’s like saying a minimum requirement of an old firm manager should be in the top two.

Hibs have shown ambition and realised the players have stopped playing and numbers are falling. Pundits not saying some facts. IMO.

madhatter
12-12-2021, 09:09 PM

How do you know who is being considered?

Remarkable how quick people are to fall in line with media criticism of Hibs. I'm sure similar happened when Lennon left- Kamberi got him the sack and the like.

These people know nothing of what is going on at Hibs. Doubt they've joined a Zoom meeting with Ron and Ben to get the run down.

Ross is popular with the media. Lennon had his friends in the media too.

Aberdeen sacked a more successful manager and I don't remember such a criticism of Aberdeen. Might have missed it mind you.

EVENTUALLY
12-12-2021, 09:14 PM

To play attacking football built on a strong defence with creative midfielders and free scoring forwards. If he does that there will be a decent chance that 3rd or 4th will follow and cup runs too.

Rumble de Thump
12-12-2021, 09:18 PM
There was one pundit at the weekend who said the sacking of Jack Ross was a disgrace, followed by "I know the results haven't been good enough but..." In fact, all the pundits who were critical of the decision to sack him all acknowleged that the results hadn't been anywhere near good enough. So they'd have been as well just saying "I know results haven't been good enough" and leave it at that.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-12-2021, 09:24 PM
just watched richard foster and mikey stewart on sportscene
“what is the remit for the next hibs manager?
that’s what jack ross has done”

cannot disagree with that

but is that not what jack ross did?

If i was jack ross i would probably put my cv in for the vacancy at hibs. His record is much better than some others being considered for the job.
We have always been trail blazers ( europe, shirt sponsorship, under soil heating, digital scoreboard)
could hibs be the first team to reappoint the manager that they have just sacked???

ffs! 😲

BILLYHIBS
12-12-2021, 09:29 PM

Ross was sacked for a reason

Deal with it

Not going through that again

Onwards and upwards

The 90+2
12-12-2021, 09:37 PM
Imagine we appointed Jack 🤣🤣 the whole world would explode.

Jack Ross in his interview

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_p_FHTV2RSA/hqdefault.jpg

MrSmith
12-12-2021, 09:41 PM
All I’ve ever expected from Hibs is for a team on the field that can play football and to show some passion. Tippy tappy, sideways to backwards football is crushing and dull. If we lose, let’s go out looking good by showing some fight and pride.

onfire
12-12-2021, 09:57 PM
How do you know who is being considered?

Remarkable how quick people are to fall in line with media criticism of Hibs. I'm sure similar happened when Lennon left- Kamberi got him the sack and the like.

These people know nothing of what is going on at Hibs. Doubt they've joined a Zoom meeting with Ron and Ben to get the run down.

Ross is popular with the media. Lennon had his friends in the media too.

Aberdeen sacked a more successful manager and I don't remember such a criticism of Aberdeen. Might have missed it mind you.

The poster was giving a humoristic view to the likely job description that has been already and will likely be for the next manager.

Aberdeen sacked a manager that had been at their club a whole lot longer and had lost the fans - to dismiss JR as unsuccessful is harsh - likely if we hadn’t already appointed JR, if someone with the same record other than jack applied we’d be interested.

The media all seem to be signing from the same songbook - add that to all the pundits and many of fans and you have a different view to yours.

Not heard one single person say it wasn’t a good run / just give more time,

It’s all water under the bridge- but if you can’t see the funny side sometimes- take some cod liver oil and some orange juice😂

madhatter
12-12-2021, 10:16 PM
The poster was giving a humoristic view to the likely job description that has been already and will likely be for the next manager.

Aberdeen sacked a manager that had been at their club a whole lot longer and had lost the fans - to dismiss JR as unsuccessful is harsh - likely if we hadn’t already appointed JR, if someone with the same record other than jack applied we’d be interested.

The media all seem to be signing from the same songbook - add that to all the pundits and many of fans and you have a different view to yours.

Not heard one single person say it wasn’t a good run / just give more time,

It’s all water under the bridge- but if you can’t see the funny side sometimes- take some cod liver oil and some orange juice😂

Was the criticism of Ben Kensell just in light humour as well? What about Ron and his crew? Maybe those were harsh?

People have been crying their eyes out on here because Jack Ross has left, fingers have been pointed absolutely everywhere apart from Jack Ross and the players.

Funny side? A hypothetical scenario where the club are clueless, have a job description that says "do the same as Jack Ross" and ultimately Jack Ross applies.

Here's my humoristic view on that, Jack Ross' return would dry the eyes of some of our fans. Regardless of how well he actually does mind you. The comfort blanket of "he got us 3rd and we had good cup runs" would be heavily stained and filled with holes and yet people would say it smelled wonderful and just needed some tlc.:hilarious

Onion
12-12-2021, 10:21 PM
There was one pundit at the weekend who said the sacking of Jack Ross was a disgrace, followed by "I know the results haven't been good enough but..." In fact, all the pundits who were critical of the decision to sack him all acknowleged that the results hadn't been anywhere near good enough. So they'd have been as well just saying "I know results haven't been good enough" and leave it at that.

Criticism in the media isn't really about the sacking of Jack Ross. Almost all have recognised that results were not good enough lately. It is the gaping hole that has been left, with no apparent strategy to fill it by the Hibs Board. At this stage, i looks, feels and smells like a knee-jerk reaction by RG and now we're left with no one at the helm, and no obvious better candidate.

There is a heap of pressure on RG to make a pretty decent appointment - one that is obviously better than the man he's just sacked - otherwise it will be RG who will look like the failure in all of this.

madhatter
12-12-2021, 10:28 PM
Criticism in the media isn't really about the sacking of Jack Ross. Almost all have recognised that results were not good enough lately. It is the gaping hole that has been left, with no apparent strategy to fill it by the Hibs Board. At this stage, i looks, feels and smells like a knee-jerk reaction by RG and now we're left with no one at the helm, and no obvious better candidate.

There is a heap of pressure on RG to make a pretty decent appointment - one that is obviously better than the man he's just sacked - otherwise it will be RG who will look like the failure in all of this.

This keeps getting thrown out there. When was the last time Hibs recruited a manager 4 days after sacking the last one?

Also, Jack Ross sympathisers, especially in the media, would lose their minds had Hibs announced a manager the following day. They'd be all "Ron Gordon is cutthroat, how long before the next manager gets sacked, Hibs fans don't know how good they had it under JR, new guy better be looking over his shoulder". Media control the narrative with Hibs. In my lifetime they always have. Sad that we are so swift to fall in line with what they are saying.

Do people genuinely think Ron Gordon signed off sacking Jack Ross with no idea in his head? Chris Iwelumo's opinion on running a successful business (which is what a football club is) is worth more than a successful businessman actually at the helm?

If Ron Gordon had lost faith in Jack Ross he was absolutely right to get rid before cup final. If he had won the final he would be unsackable in the eyes of the fans and come January what happens? Ron Gordon gives Jack Ross money to spend? No chance, not if he had lost faith in him.

Danderhall Hibs
12-12-2021, 10:49 PM
This keeps getting thrown out there. When was the last time Hibs recruited a manager 4 days after sacking the last one?

Also, Jack Ross sympathisers, especially in the media, would lose their minds had Hibs announced a manager the following day. They'd be all "Ron Gordon is cutthroat, how long before the next manager gets sacked, Hibs fans don't know how good they had it under JR, new guy better be looking over his shoulder". Media control the narrative with Hibs. In my lifetime they always have. Sad that we are so swift to fall in line with what they are saying.

Do people genuinely think Ron Gordon signed off sacking Jack Ross with no idea in his head? Chris Iwelumo's opinion on running a successful business (which is what a football club is) is worth more than a successful businessman actually at the helm?

If Ron Gordon had lost faith in Jack Ross he was absolutely right to get rid before cup final. If he had won the final he would be unsackable in the eyes of the fans and come January what happens? Ron Gordon gives Jack Ross money to spend? No chance, not if he had lost faith in him.

Madhatter - I’m sure you’ll agree that just cos we’ve never recruited a manager quickly before doesn’t mean we shouldn’t this time. We shouldn’t base what we do now on what’s happened in the past - our expectations have changed.

madhatter
12-12-2021, 10:54 PM
Madhatter - I’m sure you’ll agree that just cos we’ve never recruited a manager quickly before doesn’t mean we shouldn’t this time. We shouldn’t base what we do now on what’s happened in the past - our expectations have changed.

By that token we shouldn't use the "we can't keep sacking managers" slogan then. Shouldn't mention 3rd place for Jack Ross and shouldn't talk about win percentages either - for sacking or recruiting.

If expectations have changed then I'd expect the club to relieve and recruit managers as quickly as they see fit to get us to where we need to be. I also expect them to adequately fund those managers to get us there.

chrisski33
12-12-2021, 10:59 PM

Yup but pundits are muppets! Esp ones on bbc scotland

Danderhall Hibs
12-12-2021, 11:02 PM
By that token we shouldn't use the "we can't keep sacking managers" slogan then. Shouldn't mention 3rd place for Jack Ross and shouldn't talk about win percentages either - for sacking or recruiting.

If expectations have changed then I'd expect the club to relieve and recruit mangers as quickly as they see fit to get us to where we need to be. I also expect them to adequately fund those managers to get us there.

That’s the point I’m making mate.

We will keep sacking managers though - 2 years is our turnaround until we get bored (or they leave). We should stop worrying about putting long term strategies in place and just go with it - hopefully we’ll see some decent games along the way.

onfire
12-12-2021, 11:15 PM
Was the criticism of Ben Kensell just in light humour as well? What about Ron and his crew? Maybe those were harsh?

People have been crying their eyes out on here because Jack Ross has left, fingers have been pointed absolutely everywhere apart from Jack Ross and the players.

Funny side? A hypothetical scenario where the club are clueless, have a job description that says "do the same as Jack Ross" and ultimately Jack Ross applies.

Here's my humoristic view on that, Jack Ross' return would dry the eyes of some of our fans. Regardless of how well he actually does mind you. The comfort blanket of "he got us 3rd and we had good cup runs" would be heavily stained and filled with holes and yet people would say it smelled wonderful and just needed some tlc.:hilarious

That’s almost as fictional your user name which would be better queen of hearts as someone who liked knee jerk reactions - off with his head!!🤔

Rumble de Thump
12-12-2021, 11:19 PM
Celtic took 107 days to appoint a new manager.

The 90+2
12-12-2021, 11:23 PM
That’s almost as fictional your user name which would be better queen of hearts as someone who liked knee jerk reactions - off with his head!!🤔

My heid is burst

Inconsequential
12-12-2021, 11:24 PM
I seem to recall Pat Stanton resigned as Hibs Manager then was persuaded to sign on again only to resign again some time later. Only Hibs!

Please correct me if wrong. Thanks.

madhatter
12-12-2021, 11:26 PM

Fictional? I thought you liked the fictional humour that the OP shared. What happened?

Wouldn't catch Jack Ross wearing clothes matching your username. Maybe new manager will.

Let's see what Ron and his crew can do, eh?

onfire
12-12-2021, 11:40 PM
My heid is burst

😀

Shrekko
12-12-2021, 11:42 PM
That’s the point I’m making mate.

We will keep sacking managers though - 2 years is our turnaround until we get bored (or they leave). We should stop worrying about putting long term strategies in place and just go with it - hopefully we’ll see some decent games along the way.

I think you’ve made a great point. The club should just accept that managers last between 6- 30 months at Hibs. Long term strategies are pie in the sky.

onfire
12-12-2021, 11:44 PM
Fictional? I thought you liked the fictional humour that the OP shared. What happened?

Wouldn't catch Jack Ross wearing clothes matching your username. Maybe new manager will.

Let's see what Ron and his crew can do, eh?

I want nothing more that for Ron to pull a rabbit out the hat and for our next manager to be a huge success- so we can all get on supporting the team with a grin like the Cheshire Cat - another user name you could use but after we win the cup🙏

The 90+2
12-12-2021, 11:47 PM
😀

I like you. A welcome addition. You’ve an Friend here 👍

JimBHibees
13-12-2021, 05:51 AM

To have sacked a manager one that easily could have stayed on until the winter break without it appears a notion of who we want to bring in sounds like knee jerk and really hope it wasn't on the back of 20 fans saying he should go. Not saying that is the case as hoping we are about to announce however if there have been no succession planning and we are now desperately searching for a replacement while still in a very busy season defining schedule and days shy of a major final does seem a little ill thought out. Time will tell.

Hibiza
13-12-2021, 08:14 PM
If he got his job back he would always say , " the players weren't fit enough and lacked motivation " .

Torto7
13-12-2021, 10:01 PM
Getting the Hibs job just now is perfect timing. The core of the squad are more than good enough for the SPL but the squad depth is atrocious and during the horror period that depth has been sadly exposed. I thought Ross was prematurely sacked as he had unexpected issues hitting us outwith his control. The new manager however will inherit a squad that should with reinforcements in Jan start to climb the table. Whether it's Lenny, McInnes or whomever.