PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (St. Mirren 11 12 2021)

Jonnyboy
11-12-2021, 07:17 PM
With Jack Ross away, Hibs had interim manager David Gray in the dugout and of course there also had to be changes to the playing personnel from the last time out as both Hanlon and McGinn were suspended, and Doyle-Hayes was injured. I expect that all of those fans who travelled to Paisley would be looking for a change in fortunes, at least in terms of the outcome, but a late leveller denied Hibs the three points I felt we deserved on the balance of play.

The weather was appalling with heavy swirling rain and gusts of wind that meant many a high ball didn’t quite arrive where the passer/crosser anticipated. Despite that, I was encouraged by what I watched for the first hour or so as Hibs seemed to be playing with more freedom, often moving the ball about quickly and decisively. Sadly, the old problems resurfaced in the later stages of the game when St. Mirren took advantage of Hibs sitting back trying to defend their lead and lost an equaliser via a cross into our box.

The first five minutes or so, both sides were trying to come to terms with the conditions but that didn’t stop Murphy from latching on to a Nisbet pass before forcing a smart save from Alnwick in the home goal. Soon after, Campbell sent in a lovely cross, right on to the head of the waiting Nisbet but Kev’s header was poor and straight at the keeper.

Referee Kevin Clancy would have a busy afternoon and his first of eight yellows was shown to Alan Power. Four minutes later, after a loud howl from the home crowd, Clancy booked Porteous after the Hibs man was adjudged to have barged into the back of an opponent.

On twenty five minutes, a fabulous cross from Boyle picked out the unmarked Nisbet but for the second time in succession, Kev’s effort was headed straight to the keeper. It’s becoming a bit of a bad habit for the Hibs man as had he directed the ball down and at an angle there’s every chance both efforts would have resulted in goals. The game was littered with stoppages as Clancy decided it’s Christmas and cards should be handed out. Curtis Main though is clearly not on his list as he committed about ten fouls during the game but was not booked.

The sides were exchanging free kicks and neither keeper was being troubled much. Ryan Flynn though was troubled as he became Clancy’s next victim in the yellow card’s stakes. Sixty seconds later, Cadden was booked for a challenge on Flynn with what looked like a ‘payback’ foul. Soon after, both Power and Flynn had efforts on goal but each one was blocked by resolute defending and so the sides went in goalless at the break.

Hibs started the second half brightly and Murphy was set up by Newell, but the effort was blocked. Boyle then had a go with the same outcome before the deadlock was finally broken. Hibs were defending but Macey collected the ball. A quick throw out to Murphy saw the Hibs man run powerfully towards the St. Mirren goal before picking out Boyle with a peach of a pass. Boyle’s effort from an angle may well have been saved by Alnwick but a Saints defender made a partial block resulting in the ball landing at the feet of Josh Campbell. The youngster reacted instantly and fired a left footed shot past Alnwick much to the delight of the visiting support.

St. Mirren tried to react instantly and following a corner, Shaughnessy fired an effort just wide of the post before, on the hour mark, Jim Goodwin made a double change in an attempt to get on the front foot. Worryingly, Hibs seemed to give up on forcing the issue and began to drop deeper with a view to breaking on the counter. This allowed St. Mirren more possession although, play stopped when Campbell committed a foul that drew a yellow card. Minutes later, Tanser was yellow carded and at that point, Hibs replaced Murphy with Drey Wright. Moments later, Boyle should have done better but he dallied and his shot from just outside the box was blocked.

Next to go in the book was Darren McGregor for a foul on Kristian Dennis. The resultant free kick had Macey setting up his wall, but they weren’t needed as McGrath’s effort was well over the bar. With ten minutes left, Tanser sent in an inviting cross and Main found loads of room in the box, but his header was well saved by Macey, who dived low to push the ball round the post. Soon after that, Nisbet was withdrawn, and Doidge came into the attack.

There was tension in the air now as at times the visitors found themselves having to deal with all ten St. Mirren outfield players being in the Hibs half and unfortunately, another Tanser cross found Shaughnessy in splendid isolation in the Hibs box and the big defender swept the ball past Macey to level the scores. Almost from the restart, Doidge hit a shot from around twenty yards that had Alnwick diving to his left, but the ball took a deflection and went out for a corner.

With time almost up, Clancy reached for his pocket again when Alnwick protested too loudly about an innocuous challenge from Doidge. In fact, Clancy had awarded Alnwick a free kick when the coming together with Doidge was because the Hibs man had slipped in trying to reach the ball. In the remaining three minutes of added time, neither side created much of a chance to grab a winner.

It was disappointing to lose a goal so late when the three points would have been welcome as would a clean sheet but in my honest assessment, I felt we edged it and should have won.

The players

Macey – Had one fine save and did well with the high ball considering the conditions.

Cadden – Looked fairly comfortable throughout although the cross for the equalising goal came from his side.

Porteous – I’m seriously beginning to think that Ryan is a marked man with referees. A number of fouls given against him but very little made of the fouls carried out on him.

McGregor – Daz may well be coming to the end of his playing career, but he was absolutely immense in this game. I had to look twice at one point when he won a foot race with Curtis Main! Wins my man of the match award.

Stevenson – A flat back four suits Lewis and he was very good today, pushing Daz for my man of the match award.

Gogic – I know he’s not everybody’s cup of tea, but I reckon he did do his job well for the most part.

Newell – Wearing the captain’s armband he was always in the thick of things. Joe is like a wee terrier dug when he buzzes around an opponent in possession.

Boyle – I’ve felt recently that Martin wasn’t at his best but he showed signs today that he is getting back too it.

Murphy – A fabulous run and pass that led up to the goal but he annoys me when he’s static and Lewis is looking for him to move into space to collect a pass.

Campbell – I wonder if anyone could point out a blade of grass he didn’t cover? Excellent performance and I’m well chuffed he got his first goal.

Nisbet – Two great chances to score with headers scorned. I know what he should be practicing before we meet Dundee on Tuesday.

Wright – Without being outstanding, I thought he played well enough.

Doidge – Needed the minutes as he clearly isn’t up to speed yet.

SDG – Will, I’m sure, have been pleased with his players’ application but needs to get inside their heads about dropping so deep and allowing the opposition to play.

Referee – Obviously sponsored by Hallmark the number of cards he handed out today. I often get irked at inconsistency amongst referees, but Clancy managed to gain my irk by being so consistently inconsistent today.

Billy Whizz
11-12-2021, 07:25 PM
Can’t disagree with any of this JB. Daz looked like a spring chicken early on, but lost his man for the goal.

Until the goal never felt threatened by St Mirren

I’ll take the point as it stops the rot, although I thought Saints were abysmal
Clancy is a dreadful ref, 8 bookings and hardly a big fouls in the game. It’s about time these guys were binned from our game, as they are ruining the spectacle

B.H.F.C
11-12-2021, 07:25 PM
With Jack Ross away, Hibs had interim manager David Gray in the dugout and of course there also had to be changes to the playing personnel from the last time out as both Hanlon and McGinn were suspended, and Doyle-Hayes was injured. I expect that all of those fans who travelled to Paisley would be looking for a change in fortunes, at least in terms of the outcome, but a late leveller denied Hibs the three points I felt we deserved on the balance of play.

The weather was appalling with heavy swirling rain and gusts of wind that meant many a high ball didn’t quite arrive where the passer/crosser anticipated. Despite that, I was encouraged by what I watched for the first hour or so as Hibs seemed to be playing with more freedom, often moving the ball about quickly and decisively. Sadly, the old problems resurfaced in the later stages of the game when St. Mirren took advantage of Hibs sitting back trying to defend their lead and lost an equaliser via a cross into our box.

The first five minutes or so, both sides were trying to come to terms with the conditions but that didn’t stop Murphy from latching on to a Nisbet pass before forcing a smart save from Alnwick in the home goal. Soon after, Campbell sent in a lovely cross, right on to the head of the waiting Nisbet but Kev’s header was poor and straight at the keeper.

Referee Kevin Clancy would have a busy afternoon and his first of eight yellows was shown to Alan Power. Four minutes later, after a loud howl from the home crowd, Clancy booked Porteous after the Hibs man was adjudged to have barged into the back of an opponent.

On twenty five minutes, a fabulous cross from Boyle picked out the unmarked Nisbet but for the second time in succession, Kev’s effort was headed straight to the keeper. It’s becoming a bit of a bad habit for the Hibs man as had he directed the ball down and at an angle there’s every chance both efforts would have resulted in goals. The game was littered with stoppages as Clancy decided it’s Christmas and cards should be handed out. Curtis Main though is clearly not on his list as he committed about ten fouls during the game but was not booked.

The sides were exchanging free kicks and neither keeper was being troubled much. Ryan Flynn though was troubled as he became Clancy’s next victim in the yellow card’s stakes. Sixty seconds later, Cadden was booked for a challenge on Flynn with what looked like a ‘payback’ foul. Soon after, both Power and Flynn had efforts on goal but each one was blocked by resolute defending and so the sides went in goalless at the break.

Hibs started the second half brightly and Murphy was set up by Newell, but the effort was blocked. Boyle then had a go with the same outcome before the deadlock was finally broken. Hibs were defending but Macey collected the ball. A quick throw out to Murphy saw the Hibs man run powerfully towards the St. Mirren goal before picking out Boyle with a peach of a pass. Boyle’s effort from an angle may well have been saved by Alnwick but a Saints defender made a partial block resulting in the ball landing at the feet of Josh Campbell. The youngster reacted instantly and fired a left footed shot past Alnwick much to the delight of the visiting support.

St. Mirren tried to react instantly and following a corner, Shaughnessy fired an effort just wide of the post before, on the hour mark, Jim Goodwin made a double change in an attempt to get on the front foot. Worryingly, Hibs seemed to give up on forcing the issue and began to drop deeper with a view to breaking on the counter. This allowed St. Mirren more possession although, play stopped when Campbell committed a foul that drew a yellow card. Minutes later, Tanser was yellow carded and at that point, Hibs replaced Murphy with Drey Wright. Moments later, Boyle should have done better but he dallied and his shot from just outside the box was blocked.

Next to go in the book was Darren McGregor for a foul on Kristian Dennis. The resultant free kick had Macey setting up his wall, but they weren’t needed as McGrath’s effort was well over the bar. With ten minutes left, Tanser sent in an inviting cross and Main found loads of room in the box, but his header was well saved by Macey, who dived low to push the ball round the post. Soon after that, Nisbet was withdrawn, and Doidge came into the attack.

There was tension in the air now as at times the visitors found themselves having to deal with all ten St. Mirren outfield players being in the Hibs half and unfortunately, another Tanser cross found Shaughnessy in splendid isolation in the Hibs box and the big defender swept the ball past Macey to level the scores. Almost from the restart, Doidge hit a shot from around twenty yards that had Alnwick diving to his left, but the ball took a deflection and went out for a corner.

With time almost up, Clancy reached for his pocket again when Alnwick protested too loudly about an innocuous challenge from Doidge. In fact, Clancy had awarded Alnwick a free kick when the coming together with Doidge was because the Hibs man had slipped in trying to reach the ball. In the remaining three minutes of added time, neither side created much of a chance to grab a winner.

It was disappointing to lose a goal so late when the three points would have been welcome as would a clean sheet but in my honest assessment, I felt we edged it and should have won.

The players

Macey – Had one fine save and did well with the high ball considering the conditions.

Cadden – Looked fairly comfortable throughout although the cross for the equalising goal came from his side.

Porteous – I’m seriously beginning to think that Ryan is a marked man with referees. A number of fouls given against him but very little made of the fouls carried out on him.

McGregor – Daz may well be coming to the end of his playing career, but he was absolutely immense in this game. I had to look twice at one point when he won a foot race with Curtis Main! Wins my man of the match award.

Stevenson – A flat back four suits Lewis and he was very good today, pushing Daz for my man of the match award.

Gogic – I know he’s not everybody’s cup of tea, but I reckon he did do his job well for the most part.

Newell – Wearing the captain’s armband he was always in the thick of things. Joe is like a wee terrier dug when he buzzes around an opponent in possession.

Boyle – I’ve felt recently that Martin wasn’t at his best but he showed signs today that he is getting back too it.

Murphy – A fabulous run and pass that led up to the goal but he annoys me when he’s static and Lewis is looking for him to move into space to collect a pass.

Campbell – I wonder if anyone could point out a blade of grass he didn’t cover? Excellent performance and I’m well chuffed he got his first goal.

Nisbet – Two great chances to score with headers scorned. I know what he should be practicing before we meet Dundee on Tuesday.

SDG – Will, I’m sure, have been pleased with his players’ application but needs to get inside their heads about dropping so deep and allowing the opposition to play.

Referee – Obviously sponsored by Hallmark the number of cards he handed out today. I often get irked at inconsistency amongst referees, but Clancy managed to gain my irk by being so consistently inconsistent today.

Re the comment on SDG, I actually thought the subs contributed to the us dropping deep. It wasn’t entirely down to that as I didn’t think we ever really kicked on from the goal. Wright didn’t really do anything wrong when he came on but he’s not going to go by anyone, get you up the park or anything like that. Doidge also looks well off it.

BILLYHIBS
11-12-2021, 08:01 PM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

Carheenlea
11-12-2021, 08:31 PM
Can’t disagree with much of that Johnnyboy.

Felt a bit more direct in our play with less sideways and back possession stuff and instead got forward a bit quicker. Can’t ignore though how poor St Mirren were - so that really was two points dropped and a game we really deserved to win on the balance of the play.

Quite a lot of decent individual performances on what was a bleak afternoon in Paisley (are there any other kind of afternoons through there? Always seems to be lashing with rain for away games through there)

There’s a good base there for a new manager to start with.

Stuart93
11-12-2021, 09:09 PM
Personally feel you’ve been a bit lenient with some of your ratings.

Thought Newell was pretty anonymous for most of it apart from a decent spell in the first half

Boyle wasn’t anywhere near as effective as he can be, again

Thought wright looked well off the pace when he came on and was chasing shadows. Casually jogging back as St mirren players went by him.

Clancy was a joke today. Gave out so many bookings for first time fouls.

Thought McGregor and Stevenson were very good. Campbell took my motm

Hiber-nation
11-12-2021, 09:15 PM
Personally feel you’ve been a bit lenient with some of your ratings.

Thought Newell was pretty anonymous for most of it apart from a decent spell in the first half

I was really disappointed with Newell in the 2nd half. OK he had Gogic beside him who was no help whatsoever in the last 20 mins but Newell is the player who you want to keep the ball and he just couldn't get involved.

Wright for Murphy was bizarre to put it politely.

Stuart93
11-12-2021, 09:22 PM
I was really disappointed with Newell in the 2nd half. OK he had Gogic beside him who was no help whatsoever in the last 20 mins but Newell is the player who you want to keep the ball and he just couldn't get involved.

Aye was overall disappointed in Newell today. Like I have been for a number of weeks now, give or take a couple games

GreenCastle
11-12-2021, 09:34 PM

Newell often does fine most 1st halves but 2nd half not as effective. He just doesn’t have the energy levels as some of the past players like SJM.

Ref today was awful - they are most weeks.

Thought Wright did nothing when he came on and that summed up our season - lack of quality to make a difference and limited squad depth has hurt us all season.

I felt we deserved more today - was 2 points dropped - don’t think Jack Ross being manager would have made a difference. Thought the players gave their all but just the quality wasn’t there.

franck sauzee
11-12-2021, 09:44 PM
Glad it's not just me that thought Clancy was a joke. Should have been maybe 2 bookings in the game. McGregor and one for them

loanheadhibby
11-12-2021, 10:10 PM

The players

Enjoy your report every week but when I read your summing up of our players how did we not win today.
We don't win games we can't keep clean sheets and are being slowly dragged into a relegation battle.
And yet most of these guys get pass marks from you.
The comments on here during the match were pretty scathing of our performance.

wookie70
11-12-2021, 10:17 PM
Not sure about the ratings. I think we would have won comfortably if the players were at the levels narrated. I thought Wright was poor when he came on and lacked energy. Newell was very poor in the second half as was Gogic and St Mirren regularly got the ball into our final third with hardly a Hibs player getting within 2 or 3 yards. Porteous was poor throughout again and Boyle isn't working anywhere near as hard covering our fullback as he used to. Nisbet should have scored as you said but it was a tricky day for heading the ball. I agree with you about the positive performances of Daz, Lewis and Campbell but I think SDG making the subs made it more likely we would sit back. I would have put Gullan in for Nisbet so we had some pace and energy to get in and about the Saints defence. Doidge came on and they had the run of their half and Wright never got us up the park like Murphy can. I'd like to see Campbell playing a bit deeper and if Magennis gets fit we may have that all action midfield we lack at present. Clancy was terrible flashing cards but I said exactly the same about the leniency showed to Main. A shocking referee

Onceinawhile
11-12-2021, 10:32 PM
I genuinely thought we just took Jamie Murphy off and didn't bring anyone on.

Forza Fred
11-12-2021, 10:50 PM
Thought the weather summed the game up.

Looking forward to when sunshine returns!

kaimendhibs
11-12-2021, 11:43 PM
I think the subs made us worse and cost us the win.

Ronniekirk
11-12-2021, 11:54 PM
Another game we deserved to win but we didn’t That’s the worry going forward St Mirren are awful but once again it’s a cross into the box that does us
Doidge not fit enough yet to be contributing goals
Drey Wright for me just shouldn’t be getting game time
McGregor surprised me ,expected him to tire in these conditions but he didn’t
Gogic gave the ball straight to st Mirren players too often for my liking and gives away so many fouls
Lewis played his part and Cadden s energy with Campbell was a plus
Boyle was sharper and there were times he was beating about four players But it was out wide and he was often having to turn back so a lot of these forays came to nothing
But we won’t play many teams as poor as St Mirren so the game should of been won

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
12-12-2021, 07:29 AM
I genuinely thought we just took Jamie Murphy off and didn't bring anyone on.

You joke but I heard Drey Wright is coming on..

Then the game continued and for about 15 minutes I didn’t actually realise he was on the pitch. Did he even touch the ball?

Stuart93
12-12-2021, 09:14 AM

Then the game continued and for about 15 minutes I didn’t actually realise he was on the pitch. Did he even touch the ball?

I think he lost the ball initially for st mirrens goal

greenlex
12-12-2021, 09:22 AM
Enjoy your report every week but when I read your summing up of our players how did we not win today.
We don't win games we can't keep clean sheets and are being slowly dragged into a relegation battle.
And yet most of these guys get pass marks from you.
The comments on here during the match were pretty scathing of our performance.
McGregor lost his man at the goal. Other than that he had a very good game. He was marked down (but still rated highly) for that in my book but would probably been my MOTM otherwise.

ozhibs
12-12-2021, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the match report , I watched on Hibs TV

I agree re Porteous being a marked man, but wish he would cut out the hysteronnics (sp) he fell clutching his head when he was but no where near his head
I thought Joe Newell was anonymous most of the game
Wright was a waste of a substitution
Daz and Lewy were excellent except for Daz not being near enough to the goal scorer
Please by Gogic’s performance as I was suprises he was in the starting 11
I thought Campbell was MOM for me

GGTTH

erin go bragh
12-12-2021, 08:15 PM

Strange substitution. Can’t remember him touching the ball tbh but seemingly lost the ball on the build up to their goal .
Scott Allan would have been my choice as they were chasing the game and SA could have made the difference.

Mick O'Rourke
12-12-2021, 09:02 PM
John
I note on your player assessments, your view that it now appears Ryan is being marked by refs.
The comments a number of weeks ago from the now departed Slippy Gerrard didnt help Ryan, although sleekit Stevie knew that.
Disguised his comments as advice.
In saying that,refs should know better, but are sometimes influenced by fan noise. Ibrox in particular.,
Boyle has also suffered from the diving cheat tag.
On Ryan, if the targeting on him continues, i will not be surprised if he moves South,sooner than he may have planned (if he has!)

wookie70
12-12-2021, 09:33 PM
I think he lost the ball initially for st mirrens goal

It was Boyle that lost the ball. Really poor game management as we had just won it back and we tried to attack down the right rather than just keep the ball. After that we had at least two chances where we had two players near the man with the ball and both stood off and let the St Mirren man pass without any pressure. Daz will get the blame but the goal summed up why we have been dropping so many points - no urgency, no pressure and no desire. Drey Wright and Boyle were both really passive and took up poor positions imo and our wide men not contributing is a continual issue. Boyle used to be fantastic at covering the opposition fullback but those days are long ago now.

Jonnyboy
12-12-2021, 09:57 PM
John
I note on your player assessments, your view that it now appears Ryan is being marked by refs.
The comments a number of weeks ago from the now departed Slippy Gerrard didnt help Ryan, although sleekit Stevie knew that.
Disguised his comments as advice.
In saying that,refs should know better, but are sometimes influenced by fan noise. Ibrox in particular.,
Boyle has also suffered from the diving cheat tag.
On Ryan, if the targeting on him continues, i will not be surprised if he moves South,sooner than he may have planned (if he has!)

Reminds me of the John McNamee situation, Mick. Had to go south as he was a marked man with referees