PDA

View Full Version : Ron Gordon

Hibees1973
09-12-2021, 05:26 PM
Today the focus is on Ross leaving but I think we need to look at the bigger picture.

The club is obviously Ron's baby and he can do what he likes with it. Ross follows the recent departures of Mathie & Dempster. Which makes me ask is our club being run properly and by someone with the club's best interest at heart.

I have a list of real concerns about what is going on at the club just now. Giving lengthy contracts to players in the last few weeks, some of them on the back of disgraceful performances, appointing Steve Kean, someone of dubious character, Ron having his son involved at the club (I really hate nepotism), not forgetting rumours about Kensall's position.

Up until when Gordon came in we had people, who most of us felt, were running Hibs well.

Now I have serious doubts about Gordon and his competency in owning Hibs. If he appoints some left field manager who has no knowledge of Scottish football, I fear we will enter a long period of disruption and under performances similar to the latter stages of Petrie's tenure.

Steve88
09-12-2021, 05:29 PM
Really hope our owner is more of the Leicester calibre as opposed to going down the Everton route..

bingo70
09-12-2021, 05:39 PM
Today the focus is on Ross leaving but I think we need to look at the bigger picture.

The club is obviously Ron's baby and he can do what he likes with it. Ross follows the recent departures of Mathie & Dempster. Which makes me ask is our club being run properly and by someone with the club's best interest at heart.

I have a list of real concerns about what is going on at the club just now. Giving lengthy contracts to players in the last few weeks, some of them on the back of disgraceful performances, appointing Steve Kean, someone of dubious character, Ron having his son involved at the club (I really hate nepotism), not forgetting rumours about Kensall's position.

Up until when Gordon came in we had people, who most of us felt, were running Hibs well.

Now I have serious doubts about Gordon and his competency in owning Hibs. If he appoints some left field manager who has no knowledge of Scottish football, I fear we will enter a long period of disruption and under performances similar to the latter stages of Petrie's tenure.

I disagree.

I’m encouraged with the speed in which he acted regarding Ross. In the previous regime, we’d have had weeks of songs from the stands wanting the manager out until it got really nasty, once it gets past the stage it was last night, how often was it ever turned round? Never, why muck about and waste time?

Why is giving out long term contracts a cause for concern? Surely that’s a sign he’s here for the long term?

Kean being appointed as a youth director shouldn’t be considered a problem, look at the guys CV. I wouldn’t want him as our manager but as academy director that’s an impressive appointment IMO. The dubious character thing doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny, he was caught calling a dodgy *******, a dodgy *******. I’m sure we’ve all done that.

You say the people at Hibs were running us well but we’ve just finished 3rd for the first time in 15 years. How were they running us well? We’d been under achieving for years, we’d been relegated and the stadium was allowed to fall into a state of disrepair, so much so that the bar can’t even be opened now.

Celtic have just appointed a left field manager with no knowledge of Scottish football and Rangers have just replaced a manager who had no knowledge of Scottish football yet won the league.

I actually don’t think I could disagree with your post any more.

gaz1875
09-12-2021, 05:41 PM

Why? he got rid of a guy who failed miserably during the transfer window and partly caused this shambles and a manager with a terrible run of results and looking like he wouldn't turn it around, due to his poor player selections, injury prone signings and contract extensions to players we should be phasing out. I would be more worried if he was sitting doing nothing.

madhatter
09-12-2021, 05:41 PM

Agree with some of this but do not understand the knowledge of Scottish football stuff. Did Ange grow up watching Celtic every week? Butcher had knowledge of Scottish football.

greenlex
09-12-2021, 05:43 PM
I just hope that he knows what he’s doing.it’s that simple. He’s obviously a capable businessman but can he run a football club.

Greencore
09-12-2021, 05:43 PM
Leanne wanted to move closer to family, Mathie failed in the transfer market and Ross's results the past couple of games were simply not good enough, the previous regime would have kept Ross on untill we were a couple of games left from the end of the season IMO, they would have been happy with Mathies failures of this seasons transfers.

Ron's showed an interest in his baby and acted quickly. I'm failing to see an issue here.

bigwheel
09-12-2021, 05:45 PM
I just hope that he knows what he’s doing.it’s that simple. He’s obviously a capable businessman but can he run a football club.

He seems to have fired or changed about everybody at the club since he came now - so we will soon find out - as it Will be his team at the helm now ..

HoboHarry
09-12-2021, 05:50 PM
Leanne wanted to move closer to family, Mathie failed in the transfer market and Ross's results the past couple of games were simply not good enough, the previous regime would have kept Ross on untill we were a couple of games left from the end of the season IMO, they would have been happy with Mathies failures of this seasons transfers.

Ron's showed an interest in his baby and acted quickly. I'm failing to see an issue here.
:agree:

Pretty Boy
09-12-2021, 05:51 PM
He's not a dimwit so he'll be learning all the time. I think at some point the penny will drop that you can't market soccer in Scotland the same way you market fooooooballll in the US.

With regards Ross, Ron along with his CEO has made a bold decision. Only time will tell if it's the right one.

09-12-2021, 05:55 PM

If he doesn't have the club's best interests at heart then what do you think his ulterior motives are and how would giving the players new contracts fit it with these other motives?

#2 Double Tap
09-12-2021, 05:55 PM

Concerned about Gordon, your post reads like you are an undercover jumbo, he has done fine sacking JR. Ross shoulda been emptied last December when it was clear for a decent chunk of people he never had the stuff in his locker. Doing it now is a good decision, gives us a chance of competing in the final and the January derby.

This next appointment will give us a good idea of how his business model is gonna be run and appointing a "left field type" of manager is exactly what we need, not another "oh he is a nice guy hecky or a panic appointment like ross.

Not In The Know
09-12-2021, 06:05 PM
I disagree.

I’m encouraged with the speed in which he acted regarding Ross. In the previous regime, we’d have had weeks of songs from the stands wanting the manager out until it got really nasty, once it gets past the stage it was last night, how often was it ever turned round? Never, why muck about and waste time?

Why is giving out long term contracts a cause for concern? Surely that’s a sign he’s here for the long term?

Kean being appointed as a youth director shouldn’t be considered a problem, look at the guys CV. I wouldn’t want him as our manager but as academy director that’s an impressive appointment IMO. The dubious character thing doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny, he was caught calling a dodgy *******, a dodgy *******. I’m sure we’ve all done that.

You say the people at Hibs were running us well but we’ve just finished 3rd for the first time in 15 years. How were they running us well? We’d been under achieving for years, we’d been relegated and the stadium was allowed to fall into a state of disrepair, so much so that the bar can’t even be opened now.

Celtic have just appointed a left field manager with no knowledge of Scottish football and Rangers have just replaced a manager who had no knowledge of Scottish football yet won the league.

I actually don’t think I could disagree with your post any more..

yup

Hibees1973
09-12-2021, 06:24 PM
Concerned about Gordon, your post reads like you are an undercover jumbo, he has done fine sacking JR. Ross shoulda been emptied last December when it was clear for a decent chunk of people he never had the stuff in his locker. Doing it now is a good decision, gives us a chance of competing in the final and the January derby.

This next appointment will give us a good idea of how his business model is gonna be run and appointing a "left field type" of manager is exactly what we need, not another "oh he is a nice guy hecky or a panic appointment like ross.

Hmm, sorry, not an under cover jumbo.

Just concerned about Gordon and his competency to run a football club. Would feel happier if someone like Farmer still owned Hibs. A local, an affinity with Hibs and good business acumen.

I'm 55, a traditionalist and feel uncomfortable with Gordon at the helm. Probably my fault.

Like loads of Hibbies I've experienced tumultuous times and hope we are not going to enter yet another phase of calamity as I get older.

Henderson2Del
09-12-2021, 06:27 PM
What rumours about Ben Kensell have I missed?

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2021, 06:28 PM

:faf:

Absolutely not. That would've been an awful decision.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2021, 06:29 PM
Have to say I agree. There is no one I trust at the club right now to make good decisions. The last 6 months have been an utter shambles top to bottom. Transfer window, results, Ron appointing his son. Red flags everywhere.

SMAXXA
09-12-2021, 06:31 PM
What rumours about Ben Kensell have I missed?

I am wondering this aswell

May21/05/16
09-12-2021, 06:31 PM

Just concerned about Gordon and his competency to run a football club. Would feel happier if someone like Farmer still owned Hibs. A local, an affinity with Hibs and good business acumen.

I'm 55, a traditionalist and feel uncomfortable with Gordon at the helm. Probably my fault.

Like loads of Hibbies I've experienced tumultuous times and hope we are not going to enter yet another phase of calamity as I get older.I smell [emoji90] he's not a Lithuanian that you and your fellow hearts fans lapped up

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Winston Ingram
09-12-2021, 06:32 PM
I disagree.

I actually don’t think I could disagree with your post any more.

This. Ron is walking the talk and doing what he said he would. Getting rid of JR and Mathie so quickly is a sign that the football side is his priority.

Add to that he’s also he’s introducing ways of increasing our turnover with the new catering options and screens.

He’s also putting his money where his mouth is with regards to bringing in players.

Since he’s come in he’s spent fees on Doidge, SPM, Nisbet, Magennis, Cadden, Mackay and Tait.

I genuinely cannot remember a time where we paid so many fees for players in such a short time.

Then add to that all the new deals he’s dished out which is another rarity. Usually if we got a player worthy of a new deal, they’d run their deal down and they’d be off as he’d have better offers elsewhere.

Ron Gordon has been fantastic for us.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2021, 06:32 PM
I smell [emoji90] he's not a Lithuanian that you and your fellow hearts fans lapped up

''He said something against the .net circle jerk, must be a jambo''. Bore off with this crap patter.

SlickShoes
09-12-2021, 06:37 PM

Like loads of Hibbies I've experienced tumultuous times and hope we are not going to enter yet another phase of calamity as I get older.

Tom Farmer knew sod all about football and not really much about hibs either. He made sure we didn’t go under but he was hardly an active owner.

Is this all because he’s American? Even though he’s Peruvian but people can make funny jokes about American football if you say he’s American enough.

The 90+2
09-12-2021, 06:38 PM

:agree: :agree:

I'm not as confident as I was. Everything so far doesn't seem as good as it was instead of progressing.

Does he want a manager to build a side or a manager to showcase our young talent to shop window them? What's the plan?

WTF does Kean bring to the club?

Billy Whizz
09-12-2021, 06:38 PM
I am wondering this aswell

There was something on last nights match thread, that he was moving on

JimBHibees
09-12-2021, 06:39 PM

:hmmm: :greengrin

May21/05/16
09-12-2021, 06:40 PM
''He said something against the .net circle jerk, must be a jambo''. Bore off with this crap patter.I won't bore off jambo

Iggy Pope
Tom Farmer knew sod all about football and not really much about hibs either. He made sure we didn’t go under but he was hardly an active owner.

And if he had been he’d have had a couple of relegations to answer to and a few ****ing awful managerial appointments.

greenlex
This. Ron is walking the talk and doing what he said he would. Getting rid of JR and Mathie so quickly is a sign that the football side is his priority.

Add to that he’s also he’s introducing ways of increasing our turnover with the new catering options and screens.

He’s also putting his money where his mouth is with regards to bringing in players.

Since he’s come in he’s spent fees on Doidge, SPM, Nisbet, Magennis, Cadden, Mackay and Tait.

I genuinely cannot remember a time where we paid so many fees for players in such a short time.

Then add to that all the new deals he’s dished out which is another rarity. Usually if we got a player worthy of a new deal, they’d run their deal down and they’d be off as he’d have better offers elsewhere.

Ron Gordon has been fantastic for us.
Far far too early for that chat. Solid start tho.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2021, 06:44 PM
I won't bore off jambo

Ah, so its just anyone who questions Ron Gordans decisions that is a jambo.

This is how clubs go under. Ignore red flags early on for the dream of success. The club has been a shambles for the last 6 months now. Perfectly reasonable to ask questions.

Since90+2
09-12-2021, 06:46 PM

This is how clubs go under. Ignore red flags early on for the dream of success. The club has been a shambles for the last 6 months now. Perfectly reasonable to ask questions.

The club isn't going to go under. That's more than a tad dramatic.

Iggy Pope
09-12-2021, 06:48 PM

You’ve been vaunting the clubs efforts all along. When did you start getting this worried about such a shambles? A touch provocative maybe?

May21/05/16
09-12-2021, 06:49 PM

This is how clubs go under. Ignore red flags early on for the dream of success. The club has been a shambles for the last 6 months now. Perfectly reasonable to ask questions.I take back the jambo comment I suppose the proof will be in what happens in the future but so far Ron has steered us through a pandemic and it's still ongoing but he's knocked back money from nesbitt Porto and doig but in my humble opinion they would have been sold under the previous owner

The Baldmans Comb
09-12-2021, 06:51 PM
I haven't really seen any ambition from Ron only that he sacks people who don't perform.

That's the easy part. The difficult part is appointing the right people who can succeed and its to early to judge him on that.

Nor do I buy into this extended contracts, big screens, transfer fee baloney as all he has done is used up the clubs cash reserves rather than put his own money into the club.

Its all his club now though and its all his people literally given his son is around and its very right to begin to question his ambition and motives and whether he is around for the long term.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2021, 06:54 PM
You’ve been vaunting the clubs efforts all along. When did you start getting this worried about such a shambles? A touch provocative maybe?I really haven't. I've had a go at the appointment of Rons son as head of recruitment, and the poor wages we were offering for non football related positions at the club among other things.

I'm happy with some aspects, but serious questions need to be asked of others.

The club isn't going to go under. That's more than a tad dramatic.

No, it probably isn't. But I'm really not seeing these positive signs under RG. The big screens are a great addition, but recruitment has been poor, questionable staff appointments and we're now managerless a week before a final. Ticket prices are getting to joke levels as well.

bingo70
09-12-2021, 06:56 PM

Yeah but the questions being raised don’t stand up to any scrutiny.

The only thing I’ll give you is appointing his son but the owner of a company employing a family member to be involved isn’t exactly a new thing and hardly an indication of anything dodgy.

Essentially the crux of the OPs complaint is that the owner is foreign and not a local guy. If he’s not liking or trusting Ron because he’s foreign then there’s a word for that.

Ron has done nothing at all to suggest he’s untrustworthy or dodgy. Hugely insulting to a guy who has put a lot of money into buying this club and invested a lot in players since arriving as well as backing us during covid. He could easily have sold players for a lot of money and pocketed the cash but chose not too.

Poor thread IMO

hibee_nation
09-12-2021, 06:56 PM

One minute we are too good to go down now we're on the brink of going out of business 🤣

nlandsafchibee
09-12-2021, 06:57 PM
He seems to have fired or changed about everybody at the club since he came now - so we will soon find out - as it Will be his team at the helm now ..
He appointed JR and gave an extended contract .I am afraid the quality and experience of Kensall is in no way a replacement for Leanne.Equally he doesnt get that screens and veggieburgees or pasties are not as important as even more player investment.He thinks the screens will pay for and make profit .Only if you can charge decent rates and big crowds .Could be worrying times ahead.Big knee jerk reaction

Smartie
09-12-2021, 06:57 PM
I neither agree nor disagree with the OP - I'd love to have the faith some others have that we're on the right track, but I'm open minded to the idea we're not.

I've heard whispers of disquiet from previous staff members that all hasn't been well during the Ron Gordon era, staff who were fairly popular and highly rated. Staff who I also believe haven't been adequately replaced thus far. I was also open to the idea though that it was possibly a bit of bitterness from ex-employees who couldnae hack change...

One thing is true though - he's not ducking decisions. He's sticking his head on the block, he's getting rid of those who he perceives to be underperforming and sticking in those who he believes will perform.

Accountability R Us - which I like.

The football has been pish and I've been drifting away. I now kinda want to go on Saturday and get on board with whatever the next chapter may be...

Winston Ingram
09-12-2021, 06:58 PM
Far far too early for that chat. Solid start tho.

He has been fantastic for us so far.

greenlex
09-12-2021, 06:59 PM
He has been fantastic for us so far.
I’ll agree when I see silverware.

Smartie
09-12-2021, 07:00 PM
He appointed JR and gave an extended contract .I am afraid the quality and experience of Kensall is in no way a replacement for Leanne.Equally he doesnt get that screens and veggieburgees or pasties are not as important as even more player investment.He thinks the screens will pay for and make profit .Only if you can charge decent rates and big crowds .Could be worrying times ahead.Bug knee jerk reaction

The declining crowds have been the big thing for me.

He can't afford to allow that to continue.

Our manager basically has 2 jobs - to get results on the park, and to get a team playing in a way that fans will pay to watch. Jack Ross had done very well at the first part until recently (and still had the potential to turn it round) but he was failing badly at the second.

Ultimately the second will influence the ability to do the first.

I'm still very torn over the decision but it's not one that I don't understand.

Iggy Pope
09-12-2021, 07:03 PM
I really haven't. I've had a go at the appointment of Rons son as head of recruitment, and the poor wages we were offering for non football related positions at the club among other things.

I'm happy with some aspects, but serious questions need to be asked of others.

You really have. It’s not difficult to find 20 pages of you banging on about how good everything was across loads of threads from results to player quality to the big TVs. And this isn’t an attack on you before you groan, it’s a response to what I find a very puzzling change of tack as you now see results as being poor (which they are of course) and the club now being a “shambles”. Anyone would think you just liked an online tussle.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2021, 07:04 PM
One minute we are too good to go down now we're on the brink of going out of business 🤣

We are too good to go down.

We are also not on the brink of going out of business, no one said that. I suggest reading my posts before replying to them bud.

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2021, 07:04 PM
I’m with Ron The Con

He is currently on a steep learning curve and he has never let us down

He has invested heavily and he has our back

It might take a wee bit of time but he will get there eventually

He is a very successful business man

Let’s bring the swagger back to Easter Road

The show must go on

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2021, 07:09 PM
You really have. It’s not difficult to find 20 pages of you banging on about how good everything was across loads of threads from results to player quality to the big TVs. And this isn’t an attack on you before you groan, it’s a response to what I find a very puzzling change of tack as you now see results as being poor (which they are of course) and the club now being a “shambles”. Anyone would think you just liked an online tussle.

Go for it then. As I've already said, me being pleased with one aspect (for example, I do think we have a good squad of players) doesn't mean 30 quid for home games against Dundee United is acceptable. The 2 are not related.

Me thinking Jack Ross would turn things around doesn't mean Ron Gordons son is even remotely qualified to be leading argubally the most important department at our football club.

Try to keep the personal stuff out of it or I will report your posts. The last part clearly is some attack on me. I've done nothing but reply and give my opinion on this thread. If you cannot give appropriate responses, don't bother.

B.H.F.C
09-12-2021, 07:09 PM
Loads of chat about Ron, but Ben Kensell will be making most of the decisions on the football side IMO. Or at the very least, making the recommendations to Ron and/or the board. He almost gets forgotten about but we’re going to find out a lot more about him now I think.

I know Ron is the owner and he’ll give direction to his CEO but Kensell isn’t up here just to be a yes man to someone a few thousand miles away.

StevesFamau5
09-12-2021, 07:10 PM
I disagree.

I actually don’t think I could disagree with your post any more.This.... This is exactly how I feel about it all.

We are building a better product off the park and we were falling apart on it. Ron and Ben acted on it quicker than previous regimes that would hang on for a few weeks then let go after it was almost beyond saving.

We have a cup final to look forward to and the potential new manager bounce as we. New players coming in and a couple coming back from injury.

It's been a mad few weeks but we acted and turned the corner.

Onwards and upwards GGTTH

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Mikey_1875
09-12-2021, 07:11 PM
It’s still too early I think to be making any decision overall on Ron. How the next appointment goes and the next couple of windows will be a much better view into where we are going under him I think.

So far he has made some good investments with players/contracts and infrastructure with the screens. Acted quickly if staff aren’t deemed to be performing. He’s not got everything perfect but it’s been mainly positive and it will be a learning curve for him too with some trial and error along the way.

Smartie
09-12-2021, 07:11 PM
We are too good to go down.

We are also not on the brink of going out of business, no one said that. I suggest reading my posts before replying to them bud.

We're not too good to go down.

We've been garbage for the past 2 months, the worst team in the league and have shown no signs of turning it around.

Ron Gordon has been decisive in order to ensure that we improve sufficiently and quickly enough so that we actually end up too good to go down.

The past 2 teams of ours that were relegated were too good to go down until they actually went down.

BoomtownHibees
09-12-2021, 07:12 PM
Go for it then. As I've already said, me being pleased with one aspect (for example, I do think we have a good squad of players) doesn't mean 30 quid for home games against Dundee United is acceptable. The 2 are not related.

Me thinking Jack Ross would turn things around doesn't mean Ron Gordons son is even remotely qualified to be leading argubally the most important department at our football club.

Try to keep the personal stuff out of it or I will report your posts. The last part clearly is some attack on me. I've done nothing but reply and give my opinion on this thread. If you cannot give appropriate responses, don't bother.

What parts of Ron’s management so far do you reckon could put us out of business?

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2021, 07:14 PM
We're not too good to go down.

We've been garbage for the past 2 months, the worst team in the league and have shown no signs of turning it around.

Ron Gordon has been decisive in order to ensure that we improve sufficiently and quickly enough so that we actually end up too good to go down.

The past 2 teams of ours that were relegated were too good to go down until they actually went down.

We are too good to go down, no squad with the quality of ours has ever gone down in Scotland. We're not in any relegation trouble. Terry Butcher really scarred some folk here, which is fair enough I guess

What parts of Ron’s management so far do you reckon could put us out of business?

None of it, that is not what I'm saying. Blindly following everything a new owner does because he talks a good game about being successful is a bad idea. Thats the point I'm making.

Winston Ingram
09-12-2021, 07:15 PM

By that measure, 99% of our chairman have been shocking

May21/05/16
09-12-2021, 07:17 PM
I’m with Ron The Con

The show must go onWell said fella all this conjecture about Ron is a bit tedious as I say he's unfortunate to buy the club then the world is going through this horrible pandemic

Iggy Pope
09-12-2021, 07:21 PM

Here we go again same tack. Report what you like, you do anyway, but I’m not attacking you, anyone with eyes can see this and I’ll challenge your report. I’ve replied like you have and can surely refer to you when quoting your post without this ridiculous and repetitive defence. It wasn’t abusive nor was it an attack. Nothing inappropriate unless you see a difference from your opinion as being just that. You say you are unhappy with a couple of areas but also that that the club are a shambles? Like I said. Provoking. In my experience, those that come across with the old shambles chat about the club are never, ever, as positive as you are about nearly everything.

BILLYHIBS
Well said fella all this conjecture about Ron is a bit tedious as I say he's unfortunate to buy the club then the world is going through this horrible pandemic

👍🏿

Smartie
We are too good to go down, no squad with the quality of ours has ever gone down in Scotland. We're not in any relegation trouble. Terry Butcher really scarred some folk here, which is fair enough I guess .

I actually agree that we have a fair bit of quality in our squad - but they form a team much poorer than the sum of it's parts.

Teams can be relegated by virtue of an achilles heel, even if the rest of the team looks solid.

If we went through the rest of the season with Kevin Nisbet up front on his own, we'd be relegated. It doesn't matter how much quality we've got elsewhere in the team.

Fortunately - we now won't.

MWHIBBIES
Here we go again same tack. Report what you like, you do anyway, but I’m not attacking you, anyone with eyes can see this and I’ll challenge your report. I’ve replied like you have and can surely refer to you when quoting your post without this ridiculous and repetitive defence. It wasn’t abusive nor was it an attack. Nothing inappropriate unless you see a difference from your opinion as being just that. You say you are unhappy with a couple of areas but also that that the club are a shambles? Like I said. Provoking. In my experience, those that come across with the old shambles chat about the club are never, ever, as positive as you are about nearly everything.

On topic please bud :aok:

Iggy Pope
09-12-2021, 07:24 PM
On topic please bud :aok:

What does this mean? You’ve lost me.

greenlex
09-12-2021, 07:26 PM
By that measure, 99% of our chairman have been shocking
Not at all. Fantastic is over the top however. Win the cup next Sunday and I’ll be just as over the top. :wink:

Stonewall
09-12-2021, 07:34 PM
He appointed JR and gave an extended contract .I am afraid the quality and experience of Kensall is in no way a replacement for Leanne.Equally he doesnt get that screens and veggieburgees or pasties are not as important as even more player investment.He thinks the screens will pay for and make profit .Only if you can charge decent rates and big crowds .Could be worrying times ahead.Big knee jerk reaction

Who’s Leanne?

bigwheel
09-12-2021, 07:39 PM

This post will be seen as an “outlier “ opinion …but I’d lean into your view more than the “we are in safe hands” which seems to be the dominant view at the moment ….for me, something doesn’t feel right about the leadership of our club these days.

nlandsafchibee
09-12-2021, 07:39 PM
Loads of chat about Ron, but Ben Kensell will be making most of the decisions on the football side IMO. Or at the very least, making the recommendations to Ron and/or the board. He almost gets forgotten about but we’re going to find out a lot more about him now I think.

I know Ron is the owner and he’ll give direction to his CEO but Kensell isn’t up here just to be a yes man to someone a few thousand miles away.

For me that is the problem. The more you look into him the less I like about him and his ability to do a good job.He definately left Norwich in should I say interesting circumstances after a big deal which infuriated fans and was then cancelled. Full details easy to find .I will look on with interest.

Since90+2
09-12-2021, 07:43 PM
For me that is the problem. The more you look into him the less I like about him and his ability to do a good job.He definately left Norwich in should I say interesting circumstances after a big deal which infuriated fans and was then cancelled. Full details easy to find .I will look on with interest.

What has he done at Hibs to make you like him less than when he was appointed?

lord bunberry
09-12-2021, 07:46 PM
Today is the first time I’ve been concerned since he took over. We were told a couple of weeks ago that we were lucky to have Ross as our manager and now he’s been sacked. Like I said on the other thread I don’t think his sacking is just down to results. There’s more to this than we’re being told and his sacking really worries me, we’ve got a cup final and a hectic run of games coming up, there’s no way you’d sack a manager at this point of the season unless you had someone ready to take his place. We now have a guy with zero managerial experience leading us into what most people regard as one of the most important parts of the season. I think we’ve also blown any chance we had in the cup as even with a new manager in place it will be a massive ask to win that game. From the comments I’ve read on here even the people who wanted rid of Ross were surprised he was sacked. The last thing we need is for the club to become a circus and be chopping and changing staff every time we have a bad run. If the rumours that Kensell is away are true I’d be very worried.

hibeerealist
09-12-2021, 07:48 PM

Great at post my fellow Hibby and on the button.

The Modfather
09-12-2021, 07:50 PM

Is Ross held to that standard as well?

greenlex
09-12-2021, 07:51 PM
Is Ross held to that standard as well?
Absolutely. I wouldn’t describe his tenure as fantastic either.

B.H.F.C
09-12-2021, 07:51 PM
Today is the first time I’ve been concerned since he took over. We were told a couple of weeks ago that we were lucky to have Ross as our manager and now he’s been sacked. Like I said on the other thread I don’t think his sacking is just down to results. There’s more to this than we’re being told and his sacking really worries me, we’ve got a cup final and a hectic run of games coming up, there’s no way you’d sack a manager at this point of the season unless you had someone ready to take his place. We now have a guy with zero managerial experience leading us into what most people regard as one of the most important parts of the season. I think we’ve also blown any chance we had in the cup as even with a new manager in place it will be a massive ask to win that game. From the comments I’ve read on here even the people who wanted rid of Ross were surprised he was sacked. The last thing we need is for the club to become a circus and be chopping and changing staff every time we have a bad run. If the rumours that Kensell is away are true I’d be very worried.

I was surprised he went, even though I walked out of the game last night thinking he needed to go.

I do, however, think folk can sometimes be looking for something that isn’t there. He’s been on a shocking run and fans were voting with their feet. There’s nothing surer to get a manager the sack so I’m not too concerned about there being anything sinister in it - yet.

lord bunberry
09-12-2021, 07:54 PM
I was surprised he went, even though I walked out of the game last. Igbo thinking he needed to go.

I do, however, think folk can sometimes be looking for something that isn’t there. He’s been on a shocking run and fans were voting with their feet. There’s nothing surer to get a manager the sack so I’m not too concerned about there being anything sinister in it - yet.
I hope you’re right.

nlandsafchibee
09-12-2021, 07:55 PM
What has he done at Hibs to make you like him less than when he was appointed?

I could start with his inexperience in the reference to Blue side of Glasgow comment just before we play them ,which of course he had to retract and revise and clarify .

ionahibby
09-12-2021, 07:57 PM

Where are these rumours about kensell coming from?
Sounds like rubbish to me.

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2021, 07:57 PM
Ron Gordon is sound guys

I remember a couple of Christmases ago he was feeding and serving the Homeless at Easter Road on Christmas Day

STF has left us in good hands

I am convinced of it

I agree at times I would love to be a fly on the wall at ER and HTC but it is what it is

The appointment of the next Head Coach will be very interesting though

Let’s just wait and see ?

lord bunberry
09-12-2021, 07:58 PM
Where are these rumours about kensell coming from?
Sounds like rubbish to me.
I’ve only read them on here, no idea if there’s any truth in them.

Since90+2
09-12-2021, 08:04 PM
I could start with his inexperience in the reference to Blue side of Glasgow comment just before we play them ,which of course he had to retract and revise and clarify .

What was wrong with what he said there? Thought it was quite refreshing for someone from Hibs to not tread water over things.

Rick Rude
09-12-2021, 08:09 PM
I find the beatification of Dempster and the job she was doing pretty bizarre. A large chunk of the last year seems to have been spent fixing the issues she left behind. Feel she might not have been around much longer even if she had wanted to stay.

As for the job Gordon and the new CEO are doing it's much too early to tell. Much like 2016, if we win the cup with a last minute goal next week then they'll be hailed as geniuses or heroes too when the truth is we won't know till we see where we are in another year or two. For what it's worth, I like what they say and the ideas. But ideas aren't the same as end results.

wookie70
09-12-2021, 08:12 PM
No way of knowing if the decisions are right yet. Ron seems to be trying to maximise the commercial side which is fine but sacking managers so early could be asking for trouble. That is particularly so when less than 6 months ago they signed a 2 year extension and then proceeded to offer lots of extensions to players who are now very difficult to get rid of if a new boss comes in and doesn't fancy them.

My worry is we get a new boss in and they do a Heck where they get a bounce but then go on a losing run particularly if they get to a final and lose. We might not even get a bounce. Do we just sack them too and then keep doing that until we find a manager who is a success. They will do well to win as many games as Ross did. As we know losing a manager doesn't always improve the playing side and can start a cycle where teams and managements teams come and go at great expense.

Whatever happened to the model Dempster set up with a recognised playing style, dev teams set up the same way, recruitment teams who identified targets and a manager who had to run with that strategy and who if successful would leave and be replaced by a similar type of boss. Dempster not only had a thirst for a success but described and put in place the steps and pieces required to get there. Ron talked about the Selvilla model and I suppose that the Kean appointment is possibly part of that but I'm not convinced we actually have a grand plan apart from maximising commercial income. That will count for very little if he and the CEO get the next boss wrong and mess up recruitment again. The hit from lost fans is far harder to get back and may dwarf commercial income apart from making the match day experience a damp squib.

Ron may have got it spot on and it is his ball so he can do what he wants. It will be fascinating to see if we end up with a Petrie style type of club who talk about player development but really only think about pounds, shillings and pence. I'm not sure about Ron but barring voting with my feet, unlikely, there isn't much I can do. I suspect I'll still be sitting in the west upper when he is no longer here.

Largshibby
09-12-2021, 08:13 PM

Ross has been sacked due to a horrendous run of results and no evidence that the slump is about to end anytime soon. Its a very normal event in the world of football. Mathie was binned because he apparently failed in the recruitment of players department. I would imagine Ross was also part of this failure. Dempster "left" (in my opinion) because RG was not so keen on her concentration on the community aspect of the club to the detriment of its finances. Hibs are a business and a football club first and foremost. The community side feeds off the success of these. I think failure to get shirt sponsorship deals, one of the most lucrative of revenue earners, did not sit well with RG. The situation with the BTG bar/lounge is a mystery. In short I dont think the departure of those three means you need have concerns regarding the clubs ownership or motives.

Hibees1973
09-12-2021, 08:14 PM
I’m with Ron The Con

The show must go on

Out of all the posts commenting on my original one, this one resonates most with me.

Never thought my post would result in me being tagged as an undercover jumbo, among other things, but there it is.

After all that's gone on today, think I will take on some of your optimism on board Billy and hope Ron gets us over this blip, we win the cup and climb the league.

I probably just getting more pessimistic the older I get.

GGTTH

Steven79
09-12-2021, 08:19 PM
I could start with his inexperience in the reference to Blue side of Glasgow comment just before we play them ,which of course he had to retract and revise and clarify .What was said?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2021, 08:26 PM
Out of all the posts commenting on my original one, this one resonates most with me.

Never thought my post would result in me being tagged as an undercover jumbo, among other things, but there it is.

After all that's gone on today, think I will take on some of your optimism on board Billy and hope Ron gets us over this blip, we win the cup and climb the league.

I probably just getting more pessimistic the older I get.

GGTTH

Yip Ron will know we are in the entertainment business we need to get bums back on seats forget the big screens forget the veggie burgers the fans want to see the next Chic Deeks Stokesey Juke Box or John Collins players that get fans out of their seats as soon as they get the ball by playing entertaining fast attractive attacking football maybe then will this HIBS fan consider paying their inflated prices or better still renewing my two now gold Season Tickets

jacomo
09-12-2021, 08:29 PM
I was surprised he went, even though I walked out of the game last night thinking he needed to go.

Before a cup final though? When does that ever work?

B.H.F.C
09-12-2021, 08:35 PM
Before a cup final though? When does that ever work?

Don’t think they’re solely thinking of the final. Need to start winning in the league and got two games in that competition before we get as far as any final.

andudare2
09-12-2021, 08:38 PM
I’m with Ron The Con

The show must go ongood post,apart from the Jambo Ron the Con part which is best left to those mutants

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2021, 08:40 PM
good post,apart from the Jambo Ron the Con part which is best left to those mutants

Yeah forgot to put on a smiley face but was going with the tone of the thread

Apologies

Viva_Palmeiras
09-12-2021, 08:47 PM

what was that phrase John McEnroe used to say to the linesmen?

andudare2
09-12-2021, 08:47 PM
Hopefully the guy comes through and his ambitions for Hibs are realised however i also hope he gets rid of the gold silver bronze shambles,stadium is half empty most games, absolutely no need to have different prices for different areas in the East Stand,if he cant see this is also part of dwindling crowds then i see further problems further down the line in regards to cost of fans attending games.

09-12-2021, 08:50 PM
what was that phrase John McEnroe used to say to the linesmen?

Chalk dust, everyone can see that there was chalk dust.

bigwheel
09-12-2021, 08:52 PM
Hopefully the guy comes through and his ambitions for Hibs are realised however i also hope he gets rid of the gold silver bronze shambles,stadium is half empty most games, absolutely no need to have different prices for different areas in the East Stand,if he cant see this is also part of dwindling crowds then i see further problems further down the line in regards to cost of fans attending games.

You can hope - but I suspect he will double down on that stuff …premium pricing models seems to be a big part of his thinking …..

andudare2
09-12-2021, 08:54 PM
You can hope - but I suspect he will double down on that stuff …premium pricing models seems to be a big part of his thinking …..
Think he will be in for a very rude awakening if that proves to be the case.

Steven79
09-12-2021, 09:00 PM
You can hope - but I suspect he will double down on that stuff …premium pricing models seems to be a big part of his thinking …..Too much of the East Stand are "gold" sections.

CraigHibee
09-12-2021, 09:05 PM
I see no issue with Ron taking the action he did, results have been poor and he has ambition for the club and we were struggling. He took action and disposed of mathie after the shambolic transfer window.

Ron is a businessman and wants success

bigwheel
09-12-2021, 09:05 PM
Too much of the East Stand are "gold" sections.

I agree ..but can’t see that stuff changing ..seems to be the new direction

Hibs90
09-12-2021, 09:07 PM

When did he retract and revise and clarify?

His comment was spot on.

chrisski33
09-12-2021, 09:17 PM
I neither agree nor disagree with the OP - I'd love to have the faith some others have that we're on the right track, but I'm open minded to the idea we're not.

I've heard whispers of disquiet from previous staff members that all hasn't been well during the Ron Gordon era, staff who were fairly popular and highly rated. Staff who I also believe haven't been adequately replaced thus far. I was also open to the idea though that it was possibly a bit of bitterness from ex-employees who couldnae hack change...

One thing is true though - he's not ducking decisions. He's sticking his head on the block, he's getting rid of those who he perceives to be underperforming and sticking in those who he believes will perform.

Accountability R Us - which I like.

The football has been pish and I've been drifting away. I now kinda want to go on Saturday and get on board with whatever the next chapter may be...

Im in a company that has got new owners and lot of existing staff don't like the changes that have been made which tbh some changes have been good. Just cos some staff dont like what Ron is doing doesnt mean hes not doing good stuff for the club

HoboHarry
09-12-2021, 09:30 PM
Im in a company that has got new owners and lot of existing staff don't like the changes that have been made which tbh some changes have been good. Just cos some staff dont like what Ron is doing doesnt mean hes not doing good stuff for the club
I work for myself and I can tell you that the company owner is a right erse nae matter whit changes he makes.....

Victor
09-12-2021, 09:39 PM
I see no issue with Ron taking the action he did, results have been poor and he has ambition for the club and we were struggling. He took action and disposed of mathie after the shambolic transfer window.

Ron is a businessman and wants success

This. I was a big supporter of JR but his position has become untenable. Wednesday night was a disgrace and following on from previous results his dismissal was the only course of action that could be taken. He may have turned it around, if he was given more time, but at this stage of the league campaign, that was too big a risk.

.Sean.
09-12-2021, 09:53 PM
What I will say is I personally don’t doubt RGs good intentions but I think he’s misjudged the blind loyalty we’ll show in the face of pumping managers if we are still faced with players who at times seem to simply choose no to be arsed. Why are we handing three year deals to passengers when a week later the supposed head coach is getting the bullet and what happens if the next gaffer doesn’t fancy those players? I have never been the biggest fan of JR and after sitting through that Celtic debacle soaked to the bone I wanted him out more than anyone, but some players are cheating the support, aswell as cheating and under selling both themselves and their now ex manager when they are capable of a performance like that of the one versus Rangers at Hampden, that proved they have got in the tank when they fancy it. I just don’t get it.

Also a week or so ago, after listening to Ben Kensells Hibs pod interview, it seemed inconceivable JR would be away in the immediate but now he’s a goner. At the same time as this the club are announcing numerous extensions to the spine of his squad, surely a clear indication of the faith they’re putting in him. Talk about mixed signals

The questions and grumblings from the everyday Hibs supporter regarding RG are understandably now getting louder and one pressing issue is the pricing - he’s proved what he thinks our experience is worth in relation to where we stand on the concrete bank of the east stand for instance - 30 quid plus - and the value he places on that price has to match it.

We are screaming out for leadership but I’m unsure where it’s coming from

Rumble de Thump
09-12-2021, 10:02 PM

Norwich didn't want him to leave.

FilipinoHibs
09-12-2021, 10:17 PM
I think he was looking at the bottom line as most US business owners do. Failing to progress in Europe, falling crowds and lying 7th in the league all lead to a much lower income that Ron had budgeted for. JR was costing Ron and club too much. Welcome to the world of cut throat business.

jeffers
09-12-2021, 10:19 PM
What I will say is I personally don’t doubt RGs good intentions but I think he’s misjudged the blind loyalty we’ll show in the face of pumping managers if we are still faced with players who at times seem to simply choose no to be arsed. Why are we handing three year deals to passengers when a week later the supposed head coach is getting the bullet and what happens if the next gaffer doesn’t fancy those players? I have never been the biggest fan of JR and after sitting through that Celtic debacle soaked to the bone I wanted him out more than anyone, but some players are cheating the support, aswell as cheating and under selling both themselves and their now ex manager when they are capable of a performance like that of the one versus Rangers at Hampden, that proved they have got in the tank when they fancy it. I just don’t get it.

Also a week or so ago, after listening to Ben Kensells Hibs pod interview, it seemed inconceivable JR would be away in the immediate but now he’s a goner. At the same time as this the club are announcing numerous extensions to the spine of his squad, surely a clear indication of the faith they’re putting in him. Talk about mixed signals

The questions and grumblings from the everyday Hibs supporter regarding RG are understandably now getting louder and one pressing issue is the pricing - he’s proved what he thinks our experience is worth in relation to where we stand on the concrete bank of the east stand for instance - 30 quid plus - and the value he places on that price has to match it.

The timing is definitely a bit strange Sean. No doubting the results have had a consideration in his sacking but starting to wonder if Ross and RG falling out has had a bigger impact. Up until recently all signs were that he was going to get this upcoming window to turn things round.

The 90+2
09-12-2021, 10:22 PM
The timing is definitely a bit strange Sean. No doubting the results have had a consideration in his sacking but starting to wonder if Ross and RG falling out has had a bigger impact. Up until recently all signs were that he was going to get this upcoming window to turn things round.

It's now being reported that theyve been looking to sack him for a while and Mathie saved Jack being punted.

The fall out was with Ross and his son BTW.

Rumble de Thump
09-12-2021, 10:23 PM

He probably would have if we'd picked up more points. There's nothing to suggest anyone fell out. Results were bad and the head coach has gone because of that. It's a shame. Hopefully Jack Ross will do well elsewhere. And hopefully we will do better under SDG and the next head coach.

Unseen work
09-12-2021, 10:28 PM
It's now being reported that theyve been looking to sack him for a while and Mathie saved Jack being punted.

Not good if the fall out is with his son.

Makes me a tad worried about why they fell out as the son was meant to be heavily involved in recruitment?

Was it Ross saying he never wanted certain players or didn’t think they were good enough?

cabbageandribs1875
09-12-2021, 10:31 PM
do the right thing Ron....scrap that utter nonsense of Bronze/Silver/Gold in the East, we know why it was done :cb:greengrin

Rumble de Thump
09-12-2021, 10:31 PM

Who said Jack Ross and Ian Gordon fell out?

The 90+2
09-12-2021, 10:32 PM
Not good if the fall out is with his son.

Makes me a tad worried about why they fell out as the son was meant to be heavily involved in recruitment?

Was it Ross saying he never wanted certain players or didn’t think they were good enough?

I'm not sure about the last part mate but Ben and Jr are the guys in charge. Rons abroad. Son is now meant to be involved in recruitment when we sacked Mathie and brought in Kean to advise.

The 90+2
09-12-2021, 10:33 PM

Nobody publicly.

Who said Jack and Ron fell out? They didn't.

madhatter

How does that work in terms of timings? Club wanted rid of Jack Ross but Mathie cast a spell on them in July so instead they gave Jack Ross a contract extension? Then later on Mathie was binned while Jack Ross stayed on.

Not denying this, just not sure how it could work. Sounds like Mathie didn't have much clout with Ron Gordon, might be wrong.

jeffers

Cheers. Didn’t know that

HoboHarry
09-12-2021, 10:37 PM

Doesn't really matter, by tomorrow this will be a .net FACT.

Rumble de Thump
09-12-2021, 10:39 PM
Nobody publicly.

Sorry. I don't know what this means.

St.Kristopher
09-12-2021, 10:40 PM
I have seen a lot on here about how good Dempster was for us and it is difficult to disagree in the first few years but at the end I’m just not sure that was the case. If you take a wee look on pie and bovril, she is not getting much praise if at all at QP. I think she had a massive part to play but I hope that with Ben we have taken a step forward.

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/267900-queen’s-park-2122/page/6/#comments

I still hold out a lot of hope for Ron’s approach.

PolmontHibby
09-12-2021, 10:49 PM

Well said - I believe I speak for myself and my group of 40 year+ season ticket holders who believe we have lost our way......and for those who state this is a Jambo post I would say state exactly why we are in a better position now (whether performance or Hibernian Community related compared to pre Gordon) - because frankly I cannot see the positives. Please do, starting from Owner, CEO, FD, etc and through the rest of the dozen plus directors (for a £10m turnover company??) explain exactly what positives they have brought to our 146 year heritage.

And sorry, Ben Kensell calling out blue whistleblowers recently in an what I viewed as a virtually incoherent ramble is not a positive.

Rumble de Thump
09-12-2021, 10:58 PM
Well said - I believe I speak for myself and my group of 40 year+ season ticket holders who believe we have lost our way......and for those who state this is a Jambo post I would say state exactly why we are in a better position now (whether performance or Hibernian Community related compared to pre Gordon) - because frankly I cannot see the positives. Please do, starting from Owner, CEO, FD, etc and through the rest of the dozen plus directors (for a £10m turnover company??) explain exactly what positives they have brought to our 146 year heritage.

And sorry, Ben Kensell calling out blue whistleblowers recently in an what I viewed as a virtually incoherent ramble is not a positive.

Why don't you list the positives then we can add to them if you've missed any out? You can't even see one?

The 90+2
09-12-2021, 11:00 PM
Why don't you list the positives then we can add to them if you've missed any out? You can't even see one?

Big screens.

Callum_62
09-12-2021, 11:04 PM
Not instantly selling our best players

Tying some of them down to longer deals

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

GreenPJ
09-12-2021, 11:07 PM

Out of the 5(?) that got contract extensions who would you not have offered one too?

Stevie Reid
09-12-2021, 11:19 PM
RG’s plans that were laid out pre-Covid were ambitious and exciting, in particular the part about doubling the playing budget within a few years.

Sadly the pandemic seems to have put paid to that, but who knows how much more difficult the reduction in funds due to Covid would have been if he hadn’t been in charge?

As others have pointed out, we’ve paid fees for several players, twice managed to hang onto Boyle when it seemed inevitable that he would leave, as well as refusing bids for our better players. We’ve also tied some key players down on improved contracts.

We clearly had much more money to spend than we actually did in the summer, and he’s not shirked from paying what will be necessary to sack JR, JP and Mathie in the last few weeks.

In addition he’s brought in a new CEO, and Academy chief. There’s also what seems like considerable expenditure on the big screens.

Whether all of these decisions are the right ones remains to be seen, but he’s clearly prepared to spend money on the club, and I have no doubts that his intentions are good and positive.

Ironically, I seem to remember, several months after he bought us, some posters getting antsy because he hadn’t taken any action or stipulated a plan. Now some sections seem to be unhappy because he’s taken several courses of action in the last few months.

tamig
09-12-2021, 11:38 PM
Nobody publicly.

I know a few folk who do work at East Mains and who were very close with Mathie.

You’ve posted a comment about Mathie having saved JR from an earlier sacking and are now claiming a falling out between JR and Ian Gordon. You can’t come out with stuff like that with no back-up. Over to you. Spill the beans. I’m intrigued, as are many others clearly.

Since452
10-12-2021, 05:36 AM
He's now set the standards for future Hibs managers. We now know a poor run of form will see then replaced. Let's see how that goes.

Alfred E Newman
10-12-2021, 05:44 AM
He's now set the standards for future Hibs managers. We now know a poor run of form will see then replaced. Let's see how that goes.

To be fair, most managers know that is the case at almost every club in the country.

JimBHibees
10-12-2021, 05:48 AM

Good interview with Ben on one of the podcasts think it was the Hibs net one you should listen to it speaks well.

Heisenberg
10-12-2021, 05:52 AM

It’s the exact same across the country. Only 17 managers have been in the job longer than a year in Scotland out of 42 clubs. If you are Hibs manager and win twice in 10 games with no sign of improvement you’ll likely lose your job. Heckingbottom was the same. Lennon too before him. It’s not a new concept.

Sir David Gray
10-12-2021, 07:13 AM

Picking up 4 points out of a possible 27 is likely to see a manager sacked at most clubs around the country.

It's not good enough and a change was required.

B.H.F.C
10-12-2021, 07:22 AM

If they go a quarter of a league season winning one game, scoring 5 goals, conceding 14 with discipline all over the shop, then we’ll be quite right to replace them as well.

Weegreenman
10-12-2021, 09:07 AM
I’ve lost all faith in Ron I’m afraid.

A real lack of class and footballing nouse has been shown by sacking JR.

JR deserved more time to turn things around.

I really fear for us moving forward. A precedent has been set.
The managerial merry go round is something you should only ride as a very last resort.

Anyone heard from Ron?

Steven79
10-12-2021, 09:12 AM

The managerial merry go round is something you should only ride as a very last resort.

Anyone heard from Ron?

I think you are being a tad dramatic!

bingo70
10-12-2021, 09:23 AM

Anyone heard from Ron?

He really didn’t.

I’ve actually been surprised by the lack of outcry from the media since yesterday. Normally every man and their dog would be out sting managers need more time however the consensus seemed to be that a decision needed made because of the run we were on. Doesn’t seem like JR has too many friends in the media now.

The horrible run of form is bad enough but even putting that to one side there were other reasons people wanted rid of him before that.

I’m more optimistic than every about our club going forward now. Ron gets that football is in the entertainment industry and if we want people to pay too dollar, we need to offer entertainment.

nlandsafchibee
10-12-2021, 10:12 AM
Good interview with Ben on one of the podcasts think it was the Hibs net one you should listen to it speaks well.
He may speak well but proof is in pudding as it were. I think from looking at his past he is very lucky to be in a CEO position ,that he has no experience in .He left Norwich after a massive deal he signed off on with a foreign betting company who had dubious baggage that there was a massive outcry from Norwich supporters and it was immediately cancelled. A real error of judgement there and I believe in Ron by employing him here. A CEO should have a measured approach to public utterings and his Blue side of Glasgow comment was not clever or with class .Equally unless all Hampden tickets are sold he will have the league bosses smug.Surely just accepting the allocation and selling out and then them having to come and say heres more to sell would give us the high ground and not possibly have eģg on chin if the around 600 left dont go.A lot to learn hopefully not at too much expensive of Hibs.
It was after game he delivered the axe apparently,no doubt to impress his intimate friend (description in one paper ) Alex Neil who was there at game.

Greenworld
10-12-2021, 11:07 AM
He may speak well but proof is in pudding as it were. I think from looking at his past he is very lucky to be in a CEO position ,that he has no experience in .He left Norwich after a massive deal he signed off on with a foreign betting company who had dubious baggage that there was a massive outcry from Norwich supporters and it was immediately cancelled. A real error of judgement there and I believe in Ron by employing him here. A CEO should have a measured approach to public utterings and his Blue side of Glasgow comment was not clever or with class .Equally unless all Hampden tickets are sold he will have the league bosses smug.Surely just accepting the allocation and selling out and then them having to come and say heres more to sell would give us the high ground and not possibly have eģg on chin if the around 600 left dont go.A lot to learn hopefully not at too much expensive of Hibs.
It was after game he delivered the axe apparently,no doubt to impress his intimate friend (description in one paper ) Alex Neil who was there at game.I think that your vision of the man is misguided at best. He is highly experienced and in the door 10 minutes and has made his second major decision if I was any other staff member at Easter Road I would be upping my game or you know the consequences

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

The 90+2
10-12-2021, 11:11 AM
I know a few folk who do work at East Mains and who were very close with Mathie.

You’ve posted a comment about Mathie having saved JR from an earlier sacking and are now claiming a falling out between JR and Ian Gordon. You can’t come out with stuff like that with no back-up. Over to you. Spill the beans. I’m intrigued, as are many others clearly.

It’s in the press Mathie saved Ross from being sacked. I didn’t claim it.

I did say that JR had fallen out with Gordon Snr tho and that a couple of the senior players didn’t get on with Jack. I stick to that.

Crab apple
10-12-2021, 11:48 AM
I think if we move quickly to announce a new manager that the support is broadly behind then RG will be shown to have acted decisively. I'm not sure that will happen before the cup final. If things drag on and we lose out on reported top targets then I will start to fear the worst. Interesting days ahead.

NAE NOOKIE
10-12-2021, 12:03 PM
The only issue I have with Ron Gordon is that as part of the learning curve he is on he has perhaps yet to appreciate ( as someone else has already pointed out ) that you can't quite market Scottish football the way you market 'soccer' in North America, well you can, but you might not get the results you expect.

For us things like big screens and green initiatives are nice window dressing, I doubt many folk are against such things, I certainly don't mind having them .... but the biggest factors in our minds that trump everything are the team on the park, how much we Pay to watch that team and what the atmosphere is like in the stadium.

So far as the team goes, he has taken the approach most of us would expect from someone embroiled in American business and sport culture in that he hasn't hung about giving the boot to a manager who was on a downward trajectory. But he also has to appreciate that we have to get our recruitment right and that the mistakes of last summer can't be repeated, I'm pretty sure he sees that by now and will move heaven and earth to ensure we don't repeat it.

Prices are something he really has to get a grip on. Because I'm a season ticket holder I don't always pay a great deal of attention to walk up prices so I was shocked when I found out we were charging £35 for the Rangers game for a bog standard ticket. That for me is overpriced for a game in this league at any time, but in a month where we have 4 home games, a cup final, and Christmas it's just insane. The results and style of football weren't the only reason for the poor turnouts at the Rangers game or the Motherwell game.
Football in Scotland still hasn't reached the place where it's practically middle class as it has in England and where to an extent its roots are in the USA and we certainly don't have football tourists to fall back on, the Hibs support is still to a large extent made up of bog standard working folk in a country where wages aren't the best anyway. If he wants evidence to support that theory perhaps he should note the number of season ticket holders we have on a payment plan rather than being able to ante up four hundred quid plus in one go.

Then there's the atmosphere. Aside from paying a million quid to install big screens he also has to face the fact that the atmosphere at ER is woeful and spend some money improving that area. In this regard his North American roots should be a help, not a hindrance. Practically every MLS club has an 'ultras' area behind one goal and some of them absolutely kick the arse of what we see at any Scottish ground on a Saturday. Absolutely every soccer specific stadium being built in MLS has a kop behind one goal as an absolute must have, two seconds on You Tube would prove that to any doubters.

Atmosphere attracts and keeps fans just as much, if not more, than any amount of big screens, nice food or socially aware club initiatives and it's high time it was given the attention it deserves .... Not turning the FF lower into a standing section before now has been a massive error in my opinion and to continue to refuse to see the need for it is just compounding an error, he simply needs to get this done.

In conclusion, do I think Ron Gordon has the best interests of this club at heart, absolutely. Do I think he has a long term ambition to see this club succeed, absolutely. Are there things he is getting wrong and needs to address, absolutely.

superfurryhibby
10-12-2021, 12:15 PM
My feeling is that Ron Gordon has ambitions for Hibs and that a new manager and a forthcoming transfer window will set the stage for the Gordon era to really kick on. A win next week would hopefully be a catalyst for a big drive towards where the owner wants the club to be.

The club has Gordon’s appointees throughout the infrastructure. A new management team will hopefully get the funds and scope to be building on what we have, the squad has quality, but it needs more.

Weegreenman
10-12-2021, 12:39 PM
He really didn’t.

I’ve actually been surprised by the lack of outcry from the media since yesterday. Normally every man and their dog would be out sting managers need more time however the consensus seemed to be that a decision needed made because of the run we were on. Doesn’t seem like JR has too many friends in the
The horrible run of form is bad enough but even putting that to one side there were other reasons people wanted rid of him before that.

I’m more optimistic than every about our club going forward now. Ron gets that football is in the entertainment industry and if we want people to pay too dollar, we need to offer entertainment.

I genuinely hope your right. We may differ in our outlook but ultimately we all want what’s best for the club.

Fingers crossed we can get a new manager in quickly and that it’s a quick transition. Hitting the ground running is imperative.

B.H.F.C
10-12-2021, 12:49 PM

Anyone heard from Ron?

What is the precedent that’s been set? This type of run would nearly always result in a manager losing their job, here or elsewhere.

Couple it with the half empty stadium, the lack of looking like it was turning, the various horror shows over his time (in between some decent runs by the way) and the fact he seemed like a broken man on Wednesday.

Weegreenman
10-12-2021, 02:24 PM
What is the precedent that’s been set? This type of run would nearly always result in a manager losing their job, here or elsewhere.

Couple it with the half empty stadium, the lack of looking like it was turning, the various horror shows over his time (in between some decent runs by the way) and the fact he seemed like a broken man on Wednesday.

He deserved longer simply because he got us a third placed finish last season. He got us to two cup finals last season also. He got us to yet another cup final this season.
We’ve been blighted by injuries to key players who are now starting to get back to fitness.
He’s had to deal with key players being sent off and suspended.
He wasn’t backed by Ron in the transfer market.
There’s no need to make a panic sacking just yet!
He could well have turned this around.

Now the new manager whoever he is will take up what now has become a sort of poison chalice.
He better be good and hit the ground running or else those same supporters who called for JR to go will be calling for his head on a platter!

Terry Butcher anyone ?

wookie70
10-12-2021, 02:36 PM
I think that your vision of the man is misguided at best. He is highly experienced and in the door 10 minutes and has made his second major decision if I was any other staff member at Easter Road I would be upping my game or you know the consequences

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk Or looking for somewhere to work as an American businessman perhaps isn't what you would choose as a good boss

B.H.F.C
10-12-2021, 02:37 PM
He deserved longer simply because he got us a third placed finish last season. He got us to two cup finals last season also. He got us to yet another cup final this season.
We’ve been blighted by injuries to key players who are now starting to get back to fitness.

Now the new manager whoever he is will take up what now has become a sort of poison chalice.
He better be good and hit the ground running or else those same supporters who called for JR to go will be calling for his head on a platter!

Terry Butcher anyone ?

One cup final last season, no two.

Other than blind hope, what is it that makes you think it was going to turn? It was a quarter of a league season the bad run extended to, not just a game or two. If the new guy doesn’t significantly improve on that, you’re right, folk will want him out as well.

Poisoned chalice is nonsense. Get results you keep your job. He’s stopped getting results.

The Modfather
10-12-2021, 02:38 PM

Terry Butcher anyone ?

Poison chalice? Ross is a good manager, and left us in a better shape than he found us. He didn’t achieve anything that previous Hibs managers haven’t achieved before. He was a good manager, no more no less, but is also replaceable.

If there wasn’t a couple of league games before the final I’d probably have given him the final as a last chance to save his job. We have two league games before the final and need points on the board now to stop the slide. He might have turned things around, he might not. I’d not really have complained too much if he had remained manager, but he probably can’t have too many complaints on the back of 4 points out of 27. I think all it tells us is that kind of run leaves a manager vulnerable, not sure that’s a scenario unique to Hibs.

Weegreenman
10-12-2021, 02:43 PM
Poison chalice? Ross is a good manager, and left us in a better shape than he found us. He didn’t achieve anything that previous Hibs managers haven’t achieved before. He was a good manager, no more no less, but is also replaceable.

If there wasn’t a couple of league games before the final I’d probably have given him the final as a last chance to save his job. We have two league games before the final and need points on the board now to stop the slide. He might have turned things around, he might not. I’d not really have complained too much if he had remained manager, but he probably can’t have too many complaints on the back of 4 points out of 27. I think all it tells us is that kind of run leaves a manager vulnerable, not sure that’s a scenario unique to Hibs.

Tell me, what previous manager got us to three cup finals and a third place finish?

B.H.F.C
10-12-2021, 02:44 PM
Tell me, what previous manager got us to three cup finals and a third place finish?

No Jack Ross.

nlandsafchibee
10-12-2021, 02:46 PM
I think that your vision of the man is misguided at best. He is highly experienced and in the door 10 minutes and has made his second major decision if I was any other staff member at Easter Road I would be upping my game or you know the consequences

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
My vision is taken from the facts if you wish to dig for them they are readily available and anyone can look at them ,particularly looking beneath the self praising and projection of themselves in sources such as Linkedin .He has no CEO experience of a that of a top soccer club. The post of Chief Operating Officer he had at Norwich and most Premier League clubs is one of looking after and ensuring that all aspects of the Stadium and training grounds are working safely and efficently for use .This includes cooperation with all agencies needed from cleaning to Emergency services.The role will also ensure everything is smooth with the facilities for aspects of hospitality and catering.He left Norwich immediately after the bad deal citing a new challenge .Interesting timing and its usually whats said when its time to go after a problem.Its whats always between the lines which is nearer the truth. I wonder if Ron did any real research .Hibs deserve a candidate with good relevant experience,integrity,professionalism at Boardroom level.
Upon looking at evidence before and after his appointment,my experienced opinion we wont have one.Coupled up with Rons son at the helm theres no experience of running a soccer club at the high level and particularly the playing and Managerial side interface ,a very worrying thought IMO.

Allant1981
10-12-2021, 02:51 PM
My vision is taken from the facts if you wish to dig for them they are readily available and anyone can look at them ,particularly looking beneath the self praising and projection of sources such as Linkedin .He has no CEO experience of a that of a top soccer club. The post of Chief Operating Officer he had at Norwich is one of looking after and ensuring that all aspects of the Stadium and training grounds are working safely and efficently for use .This includes cooperation with all agencies needed from cleaning to Emergency services.The role will also ensure everything is smooth with the facilities for aspects of hospitality and catering.He left Norwich immediately after the bad deal citing a new challenge .Interesting timing and its usually whats said when its time to go after a problem.Its whats always between the lines which is nearer the truth. I wonder if Ron did any real research .Hibs deserve a candidate with good relevant experience,integrity,professionalism at Boardroom level.
Upon looking at evidence before and after his appointment,my experienced opinion we wont have.Coupled up with Rons son at the helm theres no experience of running a soccer club at the high level and particularly the playing and Managerial side ,a very worrying thought IMO.

Think you possibly need to read up on what he done at norwich as you are doing him a big disservice

Smartie
10-12-2021, 03:00 PM
My vision is taken from the facts if you wish to dig for them they are readily available and anyone can look at them ,particularly looking beneath the self praising and projection of themselves in sources such as Linkedin .He has no CEO experience of a that of a top soccer club. The post of Chief Operating Officer he had at Norwich and most Premier League clubs is one of looking after and ensuring that all aspects of the Stadium and training grounds are working safely and efficently for use .This includes cooperation with all agencies needed from cleaning to Emergency services.The role will also ensure everything is smooth with the facilities for aspects of hospitality and catering.He left Norwich immediately after the bad deal citing a new challenge .Interesting timing and its usually whats said when its time to go after a problem.Its whats always between the lines which is nearer the truth. I wonder if Ron did any real research .Hibs deserve a candidate with good relevant experience,integrity,professionalism at Boardroom level.
Upon looking at evidence before and after his appointment,my experienced opinion we wont have one.Coupled up with Rons son at the helm theres no experience of running a soccer club at the high level and particularly the playing and Managerial side interface ,a very worrying thought IMO.

Prior to Motherwell, what were Leanne Dempster's credentials for working in football? A season ticket at Ibrox?

Pretty sure she worked at an airline with Boyle before he took her over to work at Motherwell - where she was a resounding success.

Experience can be very useful (essential in some areas) but it isn't always absolutely critical.

nlandsafchibee
10-12-2021, 03:04 PM
Think you possibly need to read up on what he done at norwich as you are doing him a big disservice

I have done and it is not at the high level of a CEO .The thread is about Ron Gordon and his decision making .I cant believe there wasnt a more experienced person out there unless he was not offering the right attractive salary,

Smartie
10-12-2021, 03:19 PM
I have done and it is not at the high level of a CEO .The thread is about Ron Gordon and his decision making .I cant believe there wasnt a more experienced person out there unless he was not offering the right attractive salary,

My issue isn't necessarily that Ben lacks the credentials - more the time that it took to appoint him.

In my opinion - we spent far too much time pissing about between LD leaving (who arguably had run her course at Easter Road and this was an eventuality we should have been preparing for some time in advance of her actually leaving) and Ben being appointed. We had a vacuum at the top of the club from late 2020 through to the summer. This was a time when all sorts of preparation for this season could and should have been made.

The summer was a catastrophe. Is that really a surprise? Not to me, but Mathie gets his jotters.

This season is turning into a disaster. Is that a surprise? Not really, when you saw the state of our playing squad on 1st September. Now it appears that Jack Ross has to carry the can for that.

Ron Gordon is new to this and will be learning. One of the first things he's going to learn is to make bloody sure that the trigger finger is accurate when it comes to blasting the people who are actually culpable for Hibs' problems from the building.

I don't know who has been to blame, or what has led us to here. All I'm saying is - I'm a bit uncomfortable, and people who have a reasonable standing in the game getting their jotters maybe isn't a symptom of a football club absolutely on the right track.

Iggy Pope
10-12-2021, 03:23 PM
We probably all move in similar circles and you hear a lot of things about Ron Gordon. I was hearing stuff pretty detrimental from the minute he arrived.

I used to hear a lot about Tom Farmer and Petrie and Dempster.

Old enough to remember all the things I used to hear about Dougie Cromb, Lex Gold and if we are looking for a shambles, Duff & Gray and Kenny Waugh.

Dig back further, and folks have plenty to say still about Hart, Harrower and even Harry Swan (most of that anecdotal).

In these modern times of media platforms we read more than we hear and unfortunately a lot of it is unadulterated *****.
I’m disinclined to read too much into it, or indeed believe any of it until I see it.

Ron Gordon isn’t long in the door comparatively, I’m not sure he hasn’t stuck by much of what he has said and he has been pretty decisive that much is clear.

I’ll let him get on with it for now and ask questions of him at any time afforded to me at the next AGM we are permitted to attend.

Hibs90
10-12-2021, 03:25 PM
It was after game he delivered the axe apparently,no doubt to impress his intimate friend (description in one paper ) Alex Neil who was there at game.

What a load of rubbish

andudare2
10-12-2021, 03:42 PM

One Scottish cup final, one league cup final,where are you getting three from?

MKHIBEE
10-12-2021, 03:42 PM

So our CEO sacked JR after the Livingston game to impress his “intimate friend” Alex Neil? Really? Where does Ron Gordon fit into all this?

nlandsafchibee
10-12-2021, 06:24 PM
So our CEO sacked JR after the Livingston game to impress his “intimate friend” Alex Neil? Really? Where does Ron Gordon fit into all this?

I said apparently, but since there have been stories it was a phone call to JR on the bus so nothing factual at present.
Ron Gordon will have made final decision everyone seems to think and Kensall doing the deed. I always believe that opinion should always have been given with an air of facts being considered and am happy to acknowledge that the impress comment was perhaps not necessary and having read the article again it states Neil knows him intimately which may not be the same as intimate friend Thank you for pointing that out .

sleeping giant
10-12-2021, 06:37 PM
I said apparently, but since there have been stories it was a phone call to JR on the bus so nothing factual at present.
Ron Gordon will have made final decision everyone seems to think and Kensall doing the deed. I always believe that opinion should always have been given with an air of facts being considered and am happy to acknowledge that the impress comment was perhaps not necessary and having read the article again it states Neil knows him intimately which may not be the same as intimate friend Thank you for pointing that out .

You spout utter nonsense in nearly every post 🙈

Waxy
10-12-2021, 07:00 PM
Bring back Petrie

McD
10-12-2021, 09:01 PM

your experienced opinion? How many football club CEOs have you recruited for, interviewed and appointed?

chrisski33
10-12-2021, 09:05 PM
Its amazing to see all these so called supporters suddenly appearing on here to have a dig at the owner and ceo and sprout rubbish about how ross was sacked.

Ringothedog
10-12-2021, 09:07 PM
your experienced opinion? How many football club CEOs have you recruited for, interviewed and appointed?

My guess would be the square root of **** all

bigwheel
10-12-2021, 09:12 PM
Its amazing to see all these so called supporters suddenly appearing on here to have a dig at the owner and ceo and sprout rubbish about how ross was sacked.

I support the football team, our club….not the CEO or Owner. When they do stuff that helps our team, they’ll get my support. When they don’t, they deserve any criticism they get. At the moment, I’m not sure either has done anything positive in recent times…time will tell..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
10-12-2021, 10:43 PM

That's a whole new level of guff right there lol. Chapeau.......

Kato
10-12-2021, 10:46 PM
Upon looking at evidence before and after his appointment,my experienced opinion we wont have one.Coupled up with Rons son at the helm theres no experience of running a soccer club at the high level and particularly the playing and Managerial side interface ,a very worrying thought IMO."soccer"

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Allant1981
11-12-2021, 07:52 AM

Well stop spouting rubbish about our CEO if its about RG

Not So Young
11-12-2021, 11:11 AM
Bring back Petrie

No

Fuzzywuzzy
11-12-2021, 11:15 AM
I was told that they had gone to Hot Flame for a buffet and JR was given his jotters after he got the last of the spicy chicken wings. JR was also meant to have taken the piss out the unlimited refills

Onion
11-12-2021, 11:22 AM

We won't have to wait long for the results to come in. How quickly and how well Ron Gordon fills the vacant manager position will answer a lot of questions about our owner's ambition, judgement and ability. IMO, the acid test for RG will be this next appointment.

Crab apple
11-12-2021, 11:30 AM
We won't have to wait long for the results to come in. How quickly and how well Ron Gordon fills the vacant manager position will answer a lot of questions about our owner's ambition, judgement and ability. IMO, the acid test for RG will be this next appointment.

Agreed. It was either a decision taken without any replacement in mind or it’s been planned and someone has been lined up. If the rumours of JR saying to the players he feared the axe after Wednesday are true then the latter would seem to be the more likely. We’ll hopefully find out in the coming days.

WhileTheChief..
11-12-2021, 11:30 AM
I'm completely comfortable with RG and the decisions he's made since he arrived.

He's more ambitious than a lot of our fans by the looks of things.

Looking forward to see where we go from here. Decent new manager and splashing the cash in January, exciting times!

chrisski33
11-12-2021, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=WhileTheChief..;6778578]I'm completely comfortable with RG and the decisions he's made since he arrived.

He's more ambitious than a lot of our fans by the looks of things.

Looking forward to see where we go from here. Decent new manager and splashing the cash in January, exciting times![/QUOTE

Exactly! Some seem to forget he has splashed cash on players. Just because he hasnt got a new manager the next day doesn't mean he has got a plan. Many clubs don't have a new manager in the next day