PDA

View Full Version : David Gray interim manager

Diclonius
09-12-2021, 12:13 PM
I know this is covered elsewhere but given the implications it probably deserves a thread of its own.

He's been appointed for "the forseeable future" - this reads to me until at least the new year, with the next round of games a trial run for getting the job permanently. He'll almost definitely be taking charge for the final.

Cod Boy
09-12-2021, 12:15 PM
Cup winning player and manager sounds lovely

.Sean.
09-12-2021, 12:17 PM
If anyone’s going to unite the support it’s him. Let’s get right behind the team from here on in.

JimBHibees
09-12-2021, 12:18 PM
I know this is covered elsewhere but given the implications it probably deserves a thread of its own.

He's been appointed for "the forseeable future" - this reads to me until at least the new year, with the next round of games a trial run for getting the job permanently. He'll almost definitely be taking charge for the final.

Tend to think it will be much shorter

greenpaper55
09-12-2021, 12:28 PM
He won't get the transfer window.

shamo9
09-12-2021, 12:29 PM
Getting a new manager ready to start on January 4th makes sense to me. Gives them 18 days until the next match to settle into the job. Then they can hopefully kick on with a win at home against lower league opposition in the cup.

Brummie_Hibs
09-12-2021, 12:30 PM
Remember Sauzee

Sir David Gray
09-12-2021, 12:43 PM
I would genuinely love to see David Gray lift the cup as Hibs manager. Even thinking about it makes me quite emotional.

DIXIHIBS
09-12-2021, 12:44 PM

If he wins the cup and beats the hertz would you change your mind?

Since452
09-12-2021, 12:45 PM
Cup winning player and manager sounds lovely

Imagine :not worth

Yorkshire HFC
09-12-2021, 12:48 PM

I've got zero confidence in the Board. How can you sack a manager and not have a replacement ready?

What has David Gray done to make them think he can be manager - for a day, a week, a month?

Do they even know we're in a Cup Final next week?

sleeping giant
09-12-2021, 12:50 PM
I would rather it wasnt SDG taking the team.
I would hate to see the fans turning on him if we get a few defeats.

wookie70
09-12-2021, 12:51 PM
Good idea to get SDG in as it will galvanise fans. You don't want a new manager potentially losing a Cup Final and who knows SDG may be a huge success. There is also a bit of a potential Fairy tail and it is amazing how they often pan out in football

HibsGW
09-12-2021, 12:56 PM

I don’t think there’s any danger of that happening, if he gets a few games and it doesn’t work out, we recruit a manager and that’s it, SDG continues as he was.

HFC93
09-12-2021, 12:58 PM

It's a win-win for him as an interim manager really. He does well and people love him more. He does ok/badly, and we bring a new full time manager in to pick things up.

SlickShoes
09-12-2021, 12:58 PM
I've got zero confidence in the Board. How can you sack a manager and not have a replacement ready?

What has David Gray done to make them think he can be manager - for a day, a week, a month?

Almost never does a manager get sacked and the replacement is ready to take over, not just at hibs but throughout football.

SJNB Hibby
09-12-2021, 01:01 PM
I would genuinely love to see David Gray lift the cup as Hibs manager. Even thinking about it makes me quite emotional.

😇😍🥰

Yorkshire HFC
09-12-2021, 01:01 PM
Almost never does a manager get sacked and the replacement is ready to take over, not just at hibs but throughout football.

The people who made this decision must think this improves our chances in the Cup final.

What has Jack Ross done that we don't know about?

HibsGW
09-12-2021, 01:04 PM

I don’t think you’d be able to become a bigger Hibs legend than that.

MrRobot
09-12-2021, 01:06 PM
Very fitting for him to lead us to a cup win

GRA
09-12-2021, 01:15 PM
Give him until the new year. If he wins the cup & beats the Hearts give him a contract extension :cb

If he does a Sauzee then the winter break provides enough time for a new manager to bed in.

Bostonhibby
09-12-2021, 01:15 PM

Do they even know we're in a Cup Final next week?This is where I've been for a while, the on pitch end of the football club seems almost secondary to everything else.

Wouldn't want David Gray exposed to what might well follow.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
09-12-2021, 01:26 PM

I don't think that will happen, I'd certainly hope not.

Solksjaer at United is probably a good example. Any other manager would have been getting hounded there but whilst there was discontent there was a reluctance among the fanbase to really turn on him because of what he had done as a player there.

The 90+2
09-12-2021, 01:26 PM

It happened a couple of days back at Preston.

J-C
09-12-2021, 01:46 PM

Pretty sure Ron never expected it to go all tits up in such a short time, hence why they have no one right now.
Gray is ex captain and knows the club and players well, I'm sure he's no wanting the job full time right now. I'd expect him to utilise Daz and Lewis to try and galvanise the team and fans.

SON OF PADDY
09-12-2021, 01:55 PM
The people who made this decision must think this improves our chances in the Cup final.

Is that you Mr Ross?

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-12-2021, 02:02 PM

I don't think that is correct. It's not what is in front of us that has brought this on it is what has already happened. Had we been facing a league game or even a free weekend would have made no difference.

offshorehibby
09-12-2021, 02:15 PM

Ffs, there's no' many clubs sack a manager and have one in next again day. Who did you expect to be interim coach till we appointment a new one. Tell me who you want to take charge for what will only be a couple weeks.

B.H.F.C
09-12-2021, 02:20 PM

I think they might have done it to give us a better opportunity in the cup final you mention.

greenlex
09-12-2021, 02:28 PM

It’s a huge call IMO. Ross is a good manager and should at the minimum have been given till the window. I sincerely hope his replacement has already been identified and is on his way. Only my opinion mind but I think whilst there has been poor spells in games there has been some really good solid stuff. Id go as far to say that over the course of this season we have only actually underperformed in three games overall. Dundee Utd home Aberdeen away and that **** show last night. I understand it’s a results driven business but fundamentally underlying there was no problem. Again only my opinion there has to have been something behind the scenes other than purely performances. As I said huge call so let’s hope it’s the not the wrong one. One things for sure after this morning we will never know.

Hannah_hfc
09-12-2021, 02:38 PM
Is there any option for SDG to turn player- coach and bring himself on for a 92nd min corner?

In all seriousness though, I hope the fact that he’s a former team mate of quite a few of the players doesn’t impact team selection or how much effort the players decide to put in. It would be nice to see him do well for the 1 or 2 games in charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim44
09-12-2021, 02:44 PM
It’s a huge call IMO. Ross is a good manager and should at the minimum have been given till the window. I sincerely hope his replacement has already been identified and is on his way. Only my opinion mind but I think whilst there has been poor spells in games there has been some really good solid stuff. Id go as far to say that over the course of this season we have only actually underperformed in three games overall. Dundee Utd home Aberdeen away and that **** show last night. I understand it’s a results driven business but fundamentally underlying there was no problem. Again only my opinion there has to have been something behind the scenes other than purely performances. As I said huge call so let’s hope it’s the not the wrong one. One things for sure after this morning we will never know.

Has there not been references in the press to recent disharmony between JR and RG? I’m convinced, also, that player discontent has contributed, not to mention the vocal discontent of fans on social media.

Green_one
09-12-2021, 02:47 PM
Personally not happy they are exposing SDG to what is likely to happen over the next few weeks.

All to easy to see us lose this and next weekend. I would have said Dundee are in the bag but now who knows:confused:

If you think the atmosphere amongst the fans was poisonous, then wait 10 days.

I hope I am totally wrong and bouncing about in Hampden but this is going to be painful

CLASS OF 72 -73
09-12-2021, 02:50 PM

Heart ruling the head.

MikeyS
09-12-2021, 03:11 PM
Has there not been references in the press to recent disharmony between JR and RG? I’m convinced, also, that player discontent has contributed, not to mention the vocal discontent of fans on social media.

I've not seen anything like that mentioned. They have always been very complimentary about each other and I doubt he would have just been given a new deal if there was a personal issue. There doesn't always need to be some hidden drama behind the scenes, his results and tactics have deservedly gor him the boot!

Mikey_1875
09-12-2021, 03:16 PM
I hope SDG does well of course for however long has the gig but personally I’d like someone in before the final if it’s possible.

It would be a great opportunity for the new manager and although it would be fantastic winning the cup under SDG i don’t think I would want him being in charge permanently yet. Based on his current role on match days he doesn’t seem overly involved and would need a lot more experience before taking charge of a team imo.

ancient hibee
09-12-2021, 03:18 PM
Pretty sure Ron never expected it to go all tits up in such a short time, hence why they have no one right now.
Gray is ex captain and knows the club and players well, I'm sure he's no wanting the job full time right now. I'd expect him to utilise Daz and Lewis to try and galvanise the team and fans.

I expect they’ll both be playing on Saturday.

MikeyS
09-12-2021, 03:21 PM

They will both have to assuming the two suspensions from last night kick in immediately

wookie70
09-12-2021, 03:21 PM

He will have little choice but to play McGregor on Saturday and I hope he starts Stevenson instead of Doig

1875Sean
09-12-2021, 03:22 PM
Hope he does well but I think they will try and get someone in before the final

mjhibby
09-12-2021, 03:26 PM
Give him until the new year. If he wins the cup & beats the Hearts give him a contract extension :cb

If he does a Sauzee then the winter break provides enough time for a new manager to bed in.

I'm sure Ron has sounded out folk who would have advised him of folk likely to be interested in the job. Very telling remarks from Neil on sportsound re returning to manage in Scotland. He ain't getting the celtic or sevco job so who else does that leave.Seemed to me like he was showing he was ready to go if a job came up. Then hey presto. A big coincidence.

Billy Whizz
09-12-2021, 03:37 PM
Heart ruling the head.

He knows the players and be ably assisted by May. Would be a big risk to give it to anyone else

J-C
09-12-2021, 04:02 PM

I was meaning more behind the scenes helping with training and the dressing room, they know what it means to play for Hibs.

nlandsafchibee
09-12-2021, 04:14 PM
When JR came I looked at the composition of the squad and highlited to my friends the danger areas for him were Gray ,McGregor ,Stevenson,Hanlon combo because of their previous heroics and long contracts.He needed them onside and kept them onside with contract extensions and help with their managerial coaching badges etc in Grays situation a coaching role .I think that this has ultimately not helped him .Mc Gregor Hanllon sent off twice,Gray doing a stupid foul to give Celtic free kick from which they scored and equalised at ER.I think Gray has aspirations for management and is an obvious caretaker.He may get that Manager bounce and shame the players who so badly let Ross down into a better performance.

Onceinawhile
09-12-2021, 04:15 PM
It happened a couple of days back at Preston.

And at Sheffield United. And Tottenham.

It's far more common than not these days.

JohnMcM
09-12-2021, 04:18 PM

Would that not be viewed as constructive dismissal?

Billy Whizz
09-12-2021, 04:19 PM

They change the title from HC to Manager

JohnMcM
09-12-2021, 04:20 PM

That sounds and feels very much like what allegedly happened with John Collins.:rolleyes:

greenlex
09-12-2021, 04:22 PM
No such thing in football. Poor results and your gone. It’s not like he won’t have to be compensated and will probably be written into his contract.

JohnMcM
09-12-2021, 04:28 PM
No such thing in football. Poor results and your gone. It’s not like he won’t have to be compensated and will probably be written into his contract.

I didn’t know it didn’t exist in football. Thank for expanding my postage stamp sized encyclopaedic knowledge of internal football politics.

greenlex
09-12-2021, 04:30 PM
I didn’t know it didn’t exist in football. Thank for expanding my postage stamp sized encyclopaedic knowledge of internal football politics.
I’m saying that based on no one ever challenging being sacked. They get a payoff of sorts and onto the next gig or obscurity.

JohnMcM
09-12-2021, 04:36 PM
I’m saying that based on no one ever challenging being sacked. They get a payoff of sorts and onto the next gig or obscurity.

Ok, thanks.
By the way, say hello to the Lion and the Witch for me, and for goodness sake be careful when you put your clothes in that wardrobe.:greengrin

greenlex
09-12-2021, 04:59 PM
Ok, thanks.
By the way, say hello to the Lion and the Witch for me, and for goodness sake be careful when you put your clothes in that wardrobe.:greengrin
:greengrin:thumbsup:

Tambo
09-12-2021, 05:36 PM
Bring home the cup back to Leith Sir David Gray.

Is It On....
09-12-2021, 08:21 PM

The transfers were dealt with, and I hope continue to be dealt with, by the recruitment team. The managers job was / is to coach the players.

hibeerealist
09-12-2021, 08:34 PM

I know it’s a sore one Jack but best to just get on with your life mate

flash
09-12-2021, 08:41 PM

We couldn't get any worse to be fair. We are at rock bottom.

#2 Double Tap
09-12-2021, 08:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtxlCsVKkvY

:flag::flag::flag:

chrisski33
09-12-2021, 08:46 PM

Glad your not our chairman or if you were would you have a replacement and who? I reckon Gray will provide some passion and fight thats been missing

Scouse Hibee
10-12-2021, 12:01 AM

That’s not really true, it happens often.

Cat Stanton
10-12-2021, 12:15 AM
Bring home the cup back to Leith Sir David Gray.

1. SDG, in only his third game in charge, wins the League Cup in dramatic fashion at Hampden.

2. In the subsequent emotional jubilation, SDG is appointed permanent coach.

3. Two months later, following a string of disappointing results, SDG is sacked.

(and, obviously, subject to abuse on Hibs.net)

Onion
10-12-2021, 01:09 AM
Really hope Hibs don't see SDG as some kind of sentimental appointment to buy them time to try to fix the manager problem. This is of Hibs doing. The very last thing we need is the club tainting the Legend that is SDG, in the way they did Frank Sauce.

HoboHarry
10-12-2021, 01:31 AM
Winning the Scottish cup as a player and the League Cup as a coach sounds like a fine scenario to me.....

Onion
10-12-2021, 01:41 AM

Agreed. Football's a multi-million £ business in the top leagues and subject to the same rules and expectations of any top companies. They always have a succession plan in place or a Plan B.

Yorkshire HFC
10-12-2021, 04:59 AM

Newcastle took a month to appoint a new manager after sacking Steve Bruce - but then, they're the worst run club in England........

I would hope the Board have already sounded someone out and have someone ready to appoint. I'm sure they won't be turning up at work this morning and thinking right, what do we do now? Or am I?

But I will repeat, I don't think it really matters who we appoint. The Boards expectation seems to be to break the Old Firm, as results wise, that's all Jack Ross didn't do. That is not possible until the Board give the manager the same budget as Celtic and Rangers - and that's not going to happen.

Since452
10-12-2021, 05:43 AM
1. SDG, in only his third game in charge, wins the League Cup in dramatic fashion at Hampden.

2. In the subsequent emotional jubilation, SDG is appointed permanent coach.

3. Two months later, following a string of disappointing results, SDG is sacked.

(and, obviously, subject to abuse on Hibs.net)
True. Managers are only as good as their last defeat unfortunately.

flash
10-12-2021, 05:48 AM
Newcastle took a month to appoint a new manager after sacking Steve Bruce - but then, they're the worst run club in England........

I would hope the Board have already sounded someone out and have someone ready to appoint. I'm sure they won't be turning up at work this morning and thinking right, what do we do now? Or am I?

But I will repeat, I don't think it really matters who we appoint. The Boards expectation seems to be to break the Old Firm, as results wise, that's all Jack Ross didn't do. That is not possible until the Board give the manager the same budget as Celtic and Rangers - and that's not going to happen.

Of course it matters who we appoint. We need someone with a big personality who can galvanise the club immediately.
I have mixed feelings about this week's events but there's never a more exciting time than when we get to speculate about our new manager.
Doesn't always last long unfortunately.......

Brightside
10-12-2021, 06:45 AM
My concern with SDG is I’m assuming he has been our defensive coach this season.

B.H.F.C
10-12-2021, 07:10 AM

Why do you keep pretending that JR got the bullet because the board had some kind of expectation we should be splitting the Old Firm?

roo62
10-12-2021, 07:58 AM
He will have little choice but to play McGregor on Saturday and I hope he starts Stevenson instead of Doig

Not sure why we can't play Stevenson and Doig?

Hibs90
10-12-2021, 08:03 AM

No, this is wrong, and it would be preferable if you stopped spouting this as if it is gospel.

The owners ambition, is to be the best of the rest consistently. As it stands we are mid table with 4 points out of the last 27 available. That’s not best of the rest and the manager had to go.

Tambo
10-12-2021, 08:47 AM
Not sure why we can't play Stevenson and Doig?

Think lewis has played a couple times in a back 3 as the lcb.

SlickShoes
10-12-2021, 08:59 AM
Not sure at all why there are all these theories circulating on the appointment of the interim manager. David Gray is a coach, he's been at hibs since 2014, he is a legend. It's almost a no brainer to put him in charge while you find someone else, who else would we pick? Eddie May again, so he can constantly say he hates being a manager?

Callum_62
10-12-2021, 05:24 PM
https://twitter.com/ScotlandSky/status/1469317753282699272?t=_IhMLc_1tfjJFjFvhhSRng&s=19

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

JohnM1875
10-12-2021, 05:35 PM
https://twitter.com/ScotlandSky/status/1469317753282699272?t=_IhMLc_1tfjJFjFvhhSRng&s=19

All the players seem absolutely gutted by the news.

B.H.F.C
10-12-2021, 05:42 PM

Will be tough for them but as they obviously liked the guy. However, I hope they manage to lift themselves for tomorrow, the two interviews I’ve watched weren’t terribly inspiring. Easy enough to talk about how responsible they feel etc, but they didn’t play like a team desperate to save their manager the other night. They need to get their finger out tomorrow and take some responsibility.

madhatter
10-12-2021, 05:51 PM

So would I if I had a manager that stuck up for me even when my performance was garbage most weeks.

where'stheslope
10-12-2021, 05:55 PM
Will be tough for them but as they obviously liked the guy. However, I hope they manage to lift themselves for tomorrow, the two interviews I’ve watched weren’t terribly inspiring. Easy enough to talk about how responsible they feel etc, but they didn’t play like a team desperate to save their manager the other night. They need to get their finger out tomorrow and take some responsibility.
Maybe if they had done it 5 games ago, we would not be in this position???
Players should always play their hearts out for the club, they are well paid and are supposedly professionals???

nlandsafchibee
10-12-2021, 05:59 PM

Especially Boyler who had a brilliant relationship with Potter .To lighten things up .Did you hear about the scam Boyler played on Potter ringing him up late on a night before a match that he was stuck up in Aberdeen and couldnt get back as problem with transport .Potter said he would leave straight away drive up and pick him up .Potter left and they then had to tell him it was a wind up.

B.H.F.C
10-12-2021, 06:02 PM
Maybe if they had done it 5 games ago, we would not be in this position???
Players should always play their hearts out for the club, they are well paid and are supposedly professionals???

That’s kind of my point. You hear the same kind of thing every time a manager loses their job about players being gutted and feeling responsible. Quite a few of ours could and should have been taking more of that responsibility before it got to this point.

Onceinawhile
10-12-2021, 07:49 PM

Perhaps they shouldn't have chucked it on Wednesday then.

Think we'll see a manager far more likely to put the foot up the Jacksie with sdg than with Jack Ross.

Since452
10-12-2021, 07:52 PM
Would Sir David be the first person to be knighted twice if he leads us to the cup?

B.H.F.C
10-12-2021, 07:56 PM
Perhaps they shouldn't have chucked it on Wednesday then.

Think we'll see a manager far more likely to put the foot up the Jacksie with sdg than with Jack Ross.

Agree with your first sentence. They did chuck him under the bus the other night so a bit late for them to be getting upset about it.

Not sure about SDG giving them a boot up the arse though. He seemed pretty despondent in his interview earlier. Think he’ll turn to his mates tomorrow, the likes of Stevenson.

heretoday
10-12-2021, 08:02 PM
My concern with SDG is I’m assuming he has been our defensive coach this season.

Not a good sign! On the plus side, he's not been responsible for the attack.

PPZPOL
10-12-2021, 08:12 PM
Imagine the players HADN’T liked Ross….what a mess we’d be in😂.

KeithTheHibby
10-12-2021, 08:13 PM
New manager in by Tuesday at latest IMO

hibee-boys
10-12-2021, 08:29 PM
Imagine the players HADN’T liked Ross….what a mess we’d be in😂.

Good point though. All well and good the players showing remorse after the event, Ross was putting out teams that were more than capable of picking up more points than we achieved over the past 2 months. The semi showed what that team was capable off when it mattered. I hope the players use their self pity as motivation over the next few weeks.

hibbyfraelibby
10-12-2021, 08:32 PM
SDG will get the Final and stay in charge until the Derby...then the new manager will be unveiled having been working in the background on the targets for the January window along with two Centre Backs a box2box midfielder and a new tailor😉

PPZPOL
10-12-2021, 08:43 PM
Good point though. All well and good the players showing remorse after the event, Ross was putting out teams that were more than capable of picking up more points than we achieved over the past 2 months. The semi showed what that team was capable off when it mattered. I hope the players use their self pity as motivation over the next few weeks.

Spot on, the guys with the most influence on Ross and Potter keeping their jobs are the guys who didn’t show enough for that to happen so them getting the violins out now is like kicking a guy when he is down. You’d be hard pushed to say that they left it all out there for him during our latest run.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-12-2021, 09:21 PM
Any member of the current Hibs squad who thinks that they can put one over on SDG should be looking for another club now. I would trust SDG to do a keep or punt exercise for the new Manager and then take it from there.

SteveHFC
10-12-2021, 09:40 PM

I want him as a future manager.

LaMotta
10-12-2021, 09:46 PM
I want him as a future manager.

I would be worried about that situation and the potential for his deserved hero like reputation to be destroyed . I genuinely struggle to remember a Hibs manager that is fondly remembered. Stubbs and Mowbray at a push, but there are plenty who don't remember them fondly.

JoeT_WasTheBest
10-12-2021, 10:12 PM

Speaks a lot of sense here. Sure the players are disappointed, but they now need to get results. Hopefully he and his assistants get them up for it tomorrow.

Iggy Pope
10-12-2021, 10:18 PM
I would be worried about that situation and the potential for his deserved hero like reputation to be destroyed . I genuinely struggle to remember a Hibs manager that is fondly remembered. Stubbs and Mowbray at a push, but there are plenty who don't remember them fondly.

Not sure of your age my friend but decrepit old soaks like me remember immortals like Stanton and Blackley being sacked and it’s hellish.

JimBHibees
10-12-2021, 10:21 PM

Would he be when you have Ross and Potter coaching also both defenders as players.

Callum_62
10-12-2021, 11:41 PM
"But performances over the last few weeks we haven’t always got what we deserved in games.

“It’s the small margins sometimes and I don’t think there is a lot wrong."

Come on David

Everyone knows it's 'fine margins!'

[emoji51]

Spike Mandela
11-12-2021, 02:14 AM
David Gray's hero status is assured as a player but, unless he is a genius manager in the making, it is a tough ask for a novice coach to have the tactical nous to outdo Celtic in a national cup final.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2021, 02:25 AM
Anyone not remembering stubbs fondly is absolutely barking. No push about it. A Hibs legend.

HoboHarry
11-12-2021, 02:58 AM
Not sure of your age my friend but decrepit old soaks like me remember immortals like Stanton and Blackley being sacked and it’s hellish.

Not to mention Le God.......

LaMotta
11-12-2021, 07:42 AM

My first game was as a 2 year old when Stanton was in charge. I started getting taken to a lot of games when Blackley was manager - but too young to remember their sackings. My dad was gutted though to see that happen to 2 of his all-time heroes, so I can understand your pain.:boo hoo:

LaMotta
11-12-2021, 07:43 AM
Anyone not remembering stubbs fondly is absolutely barking. No push about it. A Hibs legend.

I agree.