PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Livingston 08 12 2021)

Jonnyboy
08-12-2021, 11:17 PM
Horrendous, just horrendous. From start to finish we allowed a workmanlike Livingston to boss us, all over the park, losing 1-0 in the process. Any bright spots in our play, and there weren’t many, were hugely overshadowed by an inept performance from a team that looked unfit, overwhelmed and lacking in shape and cohesion. The most important difference for me though was that Livingston played with a heart and desire that our players failed to match. They wanted the ball – we faffed about with it; they were quick and aggressive in their forward play – we must have been in some sort of competition to achieve the most sideways and backward passes in ninety minutes; their midfield players took any opportunity to have a shot at goal; ours looked as though they didn’t know where the goals were.

With just one change to our starting eleven in Murphy replacing Cadden, I thought we would have enough quality to overcome Livingston – how wrong could I be? Murphy had an early attempt but that was blocked whilst at the other end, Devlin should have done a lot better than missing the target when he was largely unopposed. On ten minutes, Newell plopped the ball right onto Nisbet’s head but as he has done on numerous occasions recently, Kev headed weakly into the keepers’ arms.

Just past the quarter hour the defensive frailty in the Hibs back line was once again in evidence. A wayward pass from McGinn saw Livi break down their left side and powderpuff challenges from the retreating McGinn and Porteous allowed Shinnie to centre the ball and as men in green watched on, McMillan steered the ball beyond Macey from close range. It was the softest of goals but the type of goal that Hibs have pretty much shipped in every game over the last couple of months.

Hibs attacked from the restart and Boyle went down in the box. A penalty was awarded and the Livi defenders were furious with their keeper yellow carded for getting in the ref’s face. It looked kinda soft to be honest, but it gave Hibs the chance to cancel out the deficit in double quick time. Usually, reliable, Boyle skied the spot kick over the bar, much to the delight of the home support.

Livi got a lift from the missed penalty and Sibbald went close to doubling the lead, his shot drifting wide although I reckon Macey had it covered. Minutes later, Nisbet had a chance from a free kick some twenty yards from goal, but his effort was high and wide. Then, Hibs had a second claim for a penalty when Campbell was decked from behind in a challenge that looked much more of a penalty than the one we got.

It was Livi dictating the play now and ten minutes from the break, McGinn was shown a yellow card for a lunge on a Livi player. McGinn had failed to control the ball and his efforts to retrieve the situation brought the card.

Jack Ross made two changes at half time, replacing the ineffective Murphy with Allan whilst Campbell gave way for Doidge. Five minutes in, Omeonga was shown a yellow card for a crude challenge, not his first I might add. Next in the book was Penrice for a clumsy challenge on Boyle and he was soon joined by Doyle-Hayes as referee Don Robertson contributed to the lack of any flow in the match. Hibs were huffing and puffing and drawing the ire of many in the travelling support by failing to be more aggressive in an attacking sense.

Allan and Nisbet saw poor efforts miss the target before Paul Hanlon was extremely fortunate to get only a yellow for hauling down Shinnie at the edge of the box. We then had five minutes of the Alan Forrest show as the little frontman ran Hibs ragged, getting a couple of shots at goal away in the process. Forrest and his striking team mates were giving the Hibs defenders a torrid time of it and any glimpses of Hibs attacking the Livi goal were fleeting.

Livi had brought on Montano to replace Sibbald and the newcomer came so very close to doubling the lead as Macey and Hanlon failed to communicate and the Livi man nipped in the lift the ball over Macey but thankfully for Hibs the effort missed the target. The visiting fans were becoming more and more disgruntled at what they were witnessing, and the mood wasn’t helped by a second yellow card for Paul McGinn who could have no defence regarding his dismissal. Forrest and Montano had efforts that brought saves from Macey before Hibs were reduced to nine men, Hanlon earning a second yellow for hauling a Livi attacker down.

Towards the end of the game there was a lot of shouting aimed at Jack Ross and at the final whistle those shouts were added too by a loud round of booing. I have a picture in my mind of young Doyle-Hayes coming to the fans to applaud them and looking horrified by the reception he and a few of his team mates got. The truth is, Jack Ross must shoulder a lot of the blame for the horrific run the team is on, but the players must also have a good hard look at themselves. So many of them displayed little or no heart and fight in the game and that is just not acceptable.

The players

Macey – Had no chance with the goal but whilst he had a couple of routing saves, he and Hanlon were at fault when Montaro’s lob just cleared the bar. Oh, and don’t get me started on his distribution.

McGinn – On balance, I’ve liked Paul and felt that he gets a hard time of it sometimes and that’s not always justified but tonight he was awful and a player with his experience can have no excuses for getting two avoidable yellow cards.

Porteous – Like Hanlon he was given the run around by three strikers willing to mix it up with him. He needs to stop falling on his face trying to win free kicks when no actual foul has occurred, and he needs to stop leathering the ball forward to nobody.

Hanlon – I can honestly say that is the worst performance I’ve ever seen from him. He was all over the place defensively and given a torrid time of it by Alan Forrest who, incidentally, I thought was the best player on the park. Ironic then that we were reportedly tracking him, but somebody at ER decided he wasn’t good enough for Scotland’s top league.

Doig – Of all the players tonight, I felt Josh was the only one that deserved a pass mark. Often let down defensively by Murphy/Allan not backtracking and Hanlon going missing, he still managed to get himself forward at every opportunity. I’d go as far as to say that tonight, he was the only one in green and white that showed some heart and passion.

Boyle – That penalty effort was woeful and kinda summed up Martin’s night when very little came off for him. His form has dipped and that may in part be because he is being doubled up on by opposing defenders.

Doyle-Hayes – Shell shocked at the end but what he was witnessing was what is still to come unless things change for the better results wise.

Newell – Had one of his floating about days. Always there to take a pass but rarely does anything with it. Needs to learn to take shots from the edge of the box rather than passing the buck.

Murphy – Jamie did what Jamie always does and cut infield onto his stronger right side. Devlin had the better of him, so it was no surprise when he was hooked at half time.

Campbell – Should probably have had a penalty but apart from that he never really got into it tonight.

Nisbet – I defended him last time out, and even gave him my man of the match but tonight, apart from a couple of clever flicks I thought he was really poor.

Doidge – The big fella is still finding his feet after a long layoff. If I was Christian Doidge, I’d be asking my team mates why, after his introduction at half time, they decided to resist the opportunity to put crosses into the box.

Allan – Scott took up Murphy’s berth on the left and Hibs proceeded to pretty much always choose to attack down the right. Go figure.

McGregor – The main thing I remember Daz doing was to head the ball straight out of play when he was not being challenged for it.

Jack Ross – I heard his interview after the game. He sounds like a man that knows what the problems are but not how to fix them. Telling us his players work hard in training just makes me ask what are they actually working hard on? Our defence leaks live a sieve, our midfield doesn’t chip in with goals and our strikers keep giving the ball away.

Referee – Don Robertson got all of the cards right and so I guess you have to say he did his job.

As you may have guessed by now, I am royally ticked off with Hibs right now and I genuinely worry where we might end up this season.

number9dream
08-12-2021, 11:30 PM
A tough one to write up at this late hour. Hats off to your sir...

A dismal display all round.

As you say, Hanlon was just a special level of appalling tonight, with the rest simply rotten.

Unseen work
08-12-2021, 11:36 PM
Without getting too much into the game and ranting.

Why when Doidge came on did we sub Murphy, a winger capable of beating a man and getting a cross into the box? Was he injured?

Very odd decision making from Ross IMO.

If Doidge is on you need people beating players out wide and getting crosses in.

Allan rarely plays well left mid of a 4.

Hermit Crab
08-12-2021, 11:42 PM

Why when Doidge came on did we sub Murphy, a winger capable of beating a man and getting a cross into the box? Was he injured?

If Doidge is on you need people beating players out wide and getting crosses in.

Going by tonights display Murphy is not capable of doing any of those.

Unseen work
08-12-2021, 11:43 PM

Radium
08-12-2021, 11:53 PM
Missed the game to go to the Deacon Blue concert and got an update from my son. You are both in total agreement about how bad a performance it was.

Thanks for taking the time after such a frustrating match to post your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Harp Awakes
09-12-2021, 12:02 AM
That must have been as tough to write as watching the 90 minutes tonight JB.

There's not much right with any part of the team just now, but we are being hamstrung by zero goals and virtually no creativity from midfield. I rate JDH and to a lesser extent Newell, but it looks like they're in competition with each other to see who can pass the ball backwards and sideways the most. It's eye bleeding stuff.

CentreLine
09-12-2021, 03:49 AM
Fair, if depressing summary. I would add, about Forrest, he was very “professional” getting Hanlon his second yellow. He had a firm grip of Hanlon’s shorts throughout the run and pulled Hanlon on top of him.
Not excusing Hanlon for a dreadful performance but that booking was bought by Forrest.

Allant1981
09-12-2021, 04:52 AM
Going by tonights display Murphy is not capable of doing any of those.

Except he is, the defender just had the better of him tonight, it happens

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2021, 05:37 AM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

HIBS in possession were too slow ponderous deliberate and predictable taking too many touches on the ball employing sideways and backwards passes giving Livvy time to regroup and retreat into their defensive shell

HIBS needed to do things faster quicker and be more direct move forward more naturally using the flanks taking less time on the ball playing with a natural instinct to attack and show more heart passion self belief desire and conviction

Last nights HIBS side displayed none of the above

As you rightly said Jack Ross does not know the answer

He seems incapable of motivating this group of players or of getting the most out his squad deciding instead to rotate the same 12–13 tired players

The football is eye bleeding and the fans are voting with their feet

He cuts a forlorn figure standing out on the touchline staring into space devoid of ideas or inspiration

Last night’s game looked to be the straw that broke the camel’s back

The endgame must surely be near

Rant over!

Since452
09-12-2021, 05:45 AM
Is Cadden injured again? This final could get messy.

PPZPOL
09-12-2021, 06:06 AM
Think this is the 2nd time Martindale has actually told the media before the game how they will beat us. Literally no surprises in how they play.

Brightside
09-12-2021, 06:31 AM
Only watched the highlights later after listening on radio. Agree Doig was the only player with pass marks tonight. We need a total refresh in Jan, not just one or 2 players.

Danderhall Hibs
09-12-2021, 06:41 AM
Only watched the highlights later after listening on radio. Agree Doig was the only player with pass marks tonight. We need a total refresh in Jan, not just one or 2 players.

I didn’t really see much of Doig, although he was definitely the least worst of the defence. Only pass marks for me was the goalie.

Agreed on the refresh - centre of defence and midfield at least.

Bostonhibby
09-12-2021, 07:18 AM
Every bit as bad as it sounded on Hibs TV audio, thanks for biting the bullet and writing it up, absolutely scunnered with Hibs and those responsible for Hibs at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
09-12-2021, 07:21 AM

HIBS in possession were too slow ponderous deliberate and predictable taking too many touches on the ball employing sideways and backwards passes giving Livvy time to regroup and retreat into their defensive shell

HIBS needed to do things faster quicker and be more direct move forward more naturally using the flanks taking less time on the ball playing with a natural instinct to attack and show more heart passion self belief desire and conviction

He seems incapable of motivating this group of players or of getting the most out his squad deciding instead to rotate the same 12–13 tired players

He cuts a forlorn figure standing out on the touchline staring into space devoid of ideas or inspiration

Rant over!Yep, way too slow and predictable, if you're lacking desire and not fighting for every ball in Scottish football in particular it's not going to end well.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Dublin07
09-12-2021, 07:35 AM

Rant over!

Best post I have seen for a while. Agree with every word.

PeeJay
09-12-2021, 07:52 AM
Fair report of a very sobering evening - another sore point for me was watching Bartley and Martindale having a good laugh at our inept attempts to play football and get out of the mess we were in - seems to me they knew what buttons to press, unlike JR

GreenCastle
09-12-2021, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the report.

Another game where x2 ex players come back to beat us.

Omeonga and Shinnie but not considered good enough for us.

The thing about last night..I wasn’t surprised - so predictable and playing the same players except Murphy makes the opposition preparation very easy.

We have 6 more games in December- including a cup final..Dundee Utd and Celtic away and Aberdeen home.

Got a feeling this is going to get more messy and split the Hibs fans ever more. Bad times and the only thing I can see saving him much longer is winning the cup.

Dalkeith Boy
09-12-2021, 04:42 PM
Thanks John,
You could have saved yourself the aggravation and just posted your first sentence...cos that's what it was...Horrendous...just horrendous!