PDA

View Full Version : Attendances - the COVID effect

broondog
07-12-2021, 02:45 PM
Really sick and tired of peoplee on here and social media giving other fans stick for not going to games and claiming their staying away because of bad resultsThe support was awful against Motherwell but people have perfectly valid reasons for not going without other fans calling them out assuming they know what’s going on in their lives. Yes it’s been awful abs the club isn’t in a good place and many people are rightfully criticising terrible management and poor performances but have you ever considered the effect COVID is having on people?

The passport checks going into the ground will put people off who aren’t vaccinated which is atiol a high number, many people may nt want to sit next to people who may have a deadly disease. You’re talking about thousands of people staying away for those reasons. I’d say we should compare ourselves to Aberdeen and the cheats whose attendances have also been dreadful during this period despite winning more games.

So have a think about it next time before complaining about it. For the moat part all the fans I know that go every couple of weeks will go through thick and thin. We have one of the moat loyal fan bases in the country. COVID is making things very difficult though

LunasBoots
07-12-2021, 02:54 PM
Really sick and tired of peoplee on here and social media giving other fans stick for not going to games and claiming their staying away because of bad resultsThe support was awful against Motherwell but people have perfectly valid reasons for not going without other fans calling them out assuming they know what’s going on in their lives. Yes it’s been awful abs the club isn’t in a good place and many people are rightfully criticising terrible management and poor performances but have you ever considered the effect COVID is having on people?

The passport checks going into the ground will put people off who aren’t vaccinated which is atiol a high number, many people may nt want to sit next to people who may have a deadly disease. You’re talking about thousands of people staying away for those reasons. I’d say we should compare ourselves to Aberdeen and the cheats whose attendances have also been dreadful during this period despite winning more games.

So have a think about it next time before complaining about it. For the moat part all the fans I know that go every couple of weeks will go through thick and thin. We have one of the moat loyal fan bases in the country. COVID is making things very difficult though

Ive yet to actually witness any passport check entering the ground funny enough, but i do get the risk and worry of Covid especially with alot of our older support, my old man is very cautious about going and when he does he tries to take precautions like hand wash, end aisle seat, and a face mask throughout a game. Sadly Covid is going to be here in new variants etc for many years to come which isnt going to help attendances.

B.H.F.C
07-12-2021, 02:56 PM
Think everybody acknowledges that Covid will be having some form of impact.

But results and the way folk view the team does as well.

HH81
07-12-2021, 03:31 PM
I have gone the other way after my scare with covid. After the initial period where I was worried to leave the house I just woke up one day and thought life is too short and get back to normal.

I have since been to lots of football and rugby with trips away in between.

Tough call for everyone but if had 2/3 jabs then you can't hide away forever. I get some will but that's just my thoughts.

wookie70
07-12-2021, 03:38 PM
Ive yet to actually witness any passport check entering the ground funny enough, but i do get the risk and worry of Covid especially with alot of our older support, my old man is very cautious about going and when he does he tries to take precautions like hand wash, end aisle seat, and a face mask throughout a game. Sadly Covid is going to be here in new variants etc for many years to come which isnt going to help attendances.

I got checked for the first time at ER on Saturday at the Dunbar end of the West. I get to the ground reasonably early though and my mate was already there having walked in from Albion Place with no checks. I think Hibs are being clever in checking but making sure fans just have to walk around to another entrance to get in without being checked. I notice that for some gigs that no vaccine passport is needed as long as you have a negative test. That is the way it should have been from the start and hopefully Hibs make that clear to supporters as I think the rules have changed slightly. I got checked at the semi final too so maybe becoming more regular. That being said I show them a PDF with my letter which on the phone means two tiny QR codes and they are not then scanned. It is basically a box ticking exercise and will make very little or no difference to public health

Brightside
07-12-2021, 03:41 PM
I’ve been checked last 2 games at Easter rd.

JohnM1875
07-12-2021, 03:42 PM
The steward at the West Upper turnstile entrance actually joked 'none of you got your covid passports ready for me no?' then after a few awkward looks her way she went 'just joking I'm not checking them' utterly bizarre 'patter'.

timewilltell
07-12-2021, 03:58 PM

Every ground in the English Premiership is packed full every week.

I think you find that terrible football is the reason, not covid.

jeffers
07-12-2021, 04:00 PM
I was asked for mine on Saturday. I was initially a wee bit wary about attending games, but got to the stage I think there is an element of just accepting Covid is here to stay. I won’t take stupid risks if I knew someone was affected/isolating though but it won’t stop me attending matches.

Out of interest does anyone know if crowds are down in general in our league ?

The 90+2
07-12-2021, 04:34 PM
Doesn’t seem to be effecting the top five at the moment.

lord bunberry
07-12-2021, 05:03 PM
I don't think I've seen anyone on this site have a go at people not attending games for COVID related reasons.
That’s because no one has. Pointless rant by the op.

Coco Bryce
07-12-2021, 05:05 PM
Nothing to do with Covid. Every other team seem to be getting their normal crowds.

Since452
07-12-2021, 05:06 PM
Nothing to do with Covid. Every other team seem to be getting their normal crowds.

Apart from Aberdeen who had 6k at Pittodrie at the weekend

07-12-2021, 05:07 PM

Where are you getting that info from?

Coco Bryce
07-12-2021, 05:08 PM

Who are also playing ****.

cabbageandribs1875
07-12-2021, 05:11 PM

+ 2

Coco Bryce
07-12-2021, 05:13 PM

+ 2

To be fair it's impossible to know exactly as the clubs just release ST sales and Freebies in the attendance.

Since452
07-12-2021, 05:14 PM

+ 2

Sorry it was actually the midweek game against Livi they had 6k

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-12-2021, 05:15 PM
Got checked for the first time on Saturday. I say checked, he waved me in as I was trying to unlock my phone to open the app. Total box ticking exercise and can’t see it stopping a single person getting in tbh

Coco Bryce
07-12-2021, 05:18 PM
I don't know anybody that has been refused entry to the stadium for not having a Covid passport and that includes a few of the young team that don't have them.

Pretty Boy
07-12-2021, 05:27 PM

No they are not.

They are just better at hiding the empty seats from view of the TV cameras. I've been to countless Newcastle games over the years and, with a few exceptions, there are always empty seats.

Carheenlea
07-12-2021, 05:29 PM
Got checked for the first time on Saturday. I say checked, he waved me in as I was trying to unlock my phone to open the app. Total box ticking exercise and can’t see it stopping a single person getting in tbh

Similar to me. Was asked for first time at Rangers game at gates to West, then on Saturday I was asked but after faffing about looking for my app I just got waved through.

Most folk will be fully vaccinated (double jabbed at least) anyway so a bit of a pointless exercise.

The Spaceman
07-12-2021, 05:33 PM
I have gone the other way after my scare with covid. After the initial period where I was worried to leave the house I just woke up one day and thought life is too short and get back to normal.

Tough call for everyone but if had 2/3 jabs then you can't hide away forever. I get some will but that's just my thoughts.

100%. Life is far too short. I too no longer fear it and I am getting on with things as normally as allowable. Obviously considerate of others same time e.g. fully vaccinated, regular LatFlow testing, hand washing, and wearing masks where required (mostly!).

Sir David Gray
07-12-2021, 05:35 PM
I was asked for mine on Saturday. I was initially a wee bit wary about attending games, but got to the stage I think there is an element of just accepting Covid is here to stay. I won’t take stupid risks if I knew someone was affected/isolating though but it won’t stop me attending matches.

Out of interest does anyone know if crowds are down in general in our league ?

So far official attendances this season;

Celtic - 56,052
Rangers - 46,094
Hearts - 15,894
Hibernian - 13,875
Aberdeen - 10,155
Motherwell - 5,789
St Johnstone - 4,688
Livingston - 4,377
St Mirren - 3,910
Ross County - 3,668

Pre-pandemic official attendances for 19/20 were;

Celtic - 57,944
Rangers - 49,238
Hearts - 16,751
Hibs - 16,729
Aberdeen - 13,836
Motherwell - 5,575
St Mirren - 5,376
Ross County - 4,665
St Johnstone - 4,091
Livingston - 3,184

Obviously these attendances are not actual attendances but still provides a like for like comparison.

PS - Only provided the stats for the teams that were in the league in both seasons.

B.H.F.C
07-12-2021, 05:42 PM

Celtic - 56,052
Rangers - 46,094
Hearts - 15,894
Hibernian - 13,875
Aberdeen - 10,155
Motherwell - 5,789
St Johnstone - 4,688
Livingston - 4,377
St Mirren - 3,910
Ross County - 3,668

Celtic - 57,944
Rangers - 49,238
Hearts - 16,751
Hibs - 16,729
Aberdeen - 13,836
Motherwell - 5,575
St Mirren - 5,376
Ross County - 4,665
St Johnstone - 4,091
Livingston - 3,184

Obviously these attendances are not actual attendances but still provides a like for like comparison.

PS - Only provided the stats for the teams that were in the league in both seasons.

If these are averages then probably slightly skewed from starting the season with restricted capacities as well.

07-12-2021, 05:45 PM

Based on reported attendances and compared to 2019/2020 attendances are down for all clubs who were in the top league that season and this except for St Johnstone (+600), Motherwell (+200) and Livi (+1200). St Johnstone won 2 cups, Motherwell offered free ST renewal to those who bought last year and Livi's are probably skewed because 4 of their 8 home games include Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts.

Sir David Gray
07-12-2021, 05:45 PM
If these are averages then probably slightly skewed from starting the season with restricted capacities as well.

Good point.

Still seems like us and Aberdeen have suffered the biggest drop though.

hibbyfraelibby
07-12-2021, 05:47 PM
I don't know anybody that has been refused entry to the stadium for not having a Covid passport and that includes a few of the young team that don't have them.

The young team dont need them...

B.H.F.C
07-12-2021, 05:54 PM
Based on reported attendances and compared to 2019/2020 attendances are down for all clubs who were in the top league that season and this except for St Johnstone (+600), Motherwell (+200) and Livi (+1200). St Johnstone won 2 cups, Motherwell offered free ST renewal to those who bought last year and Livi's are probably skewed because 4 of their 8 home games include Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts.

Would be interesting to see how they look if you discount the games that were reduced capacity.

07-12-2021, 05:57 PM
Good point.

Still seems like us and Aberdeen have suffered the biggest drop though.

Ours is down 17%, Ross County's down 21%, Aberdeen down 27%, St Mirren down 27%.

07-12-2021, 06:00 PM
Would be interesting to see how they look if you discount the games that were reduced capacity.

Sir David Gray has posted the figures, it was the 1st home match for each team at reduced capacity and the BBC website shows the attendances on the Line Ups tab.

Billy Whizz
07-12-2021, 06:03 PM
Ours is down 17%, Ross County's down 21%, Aberdeen down 27%, St Mirren down 27%.

Interesting stats. Aberdeen have been limiting away fans, where as we’ve given the Old Firm the full away stand.
St Mirren had to close most of their main stand too, and put spectators in the away end, maybe a reason for their steep decline

The lack of home games at 3pm on a Saturday, is definitely causing our fans problems

B.H.F.C
07-12-2021, 06:04 PM
Sir David Gray has posted the figures, it was the 1st home match for each team at reduced capacity and the BBC website shows the attendances on the Line Ups tab.

I know he’s posted them but if that’s the averages, one game will still have skewed them a fair bit.

Think some teams had more than one game at reduced capacity as well. Rings a bell that St Mirren made quite a fuss about only being allowed 1k in more than once.

07-12-2021, 06:12 PM
I know he’s posted them but if that’s the averages, one game will still have skewed them a fair bit.

Think some teams had more than one game at reduced capacity as well. Rings a bell that St Mirren made quite a fuss about only being allowed 1k in more than once.

You sure that the other time wasn't a cup game? Full capacity was allowed from 9th Aug and each team had only played 1 home and 1 away game by then so it would be 1 out of 8 or 9 home league games that's been at reduced capacity. Excluding that 1 game will improve this season's ave attendances but not enough to make it that every other team except for us is getting their normal crowds, which is what the poster I replied to thinks.

Sir David Gray
07-12-2021, 06:13 PM

Another good point. :greengrin

The only caveat to that would be Ross County and St Mirren haven't played Celtic at home yet and Aberdeen haven't played Rangers at home either. We have played both Rangers and Celtic at Easter Road, although admittedly we haven't played Hearts at home yet so maybe ours won't be the worst.

Still quite a significant drop though.

AliboyFC
07-12-2021, 06:15 PM
No they are not.

They are just better at hiding the empty seats from view of the TV cameras. I've been to countless Newcastle games over the years and, with a few exceptions, there are always empty seats.

Same but there is still about 50k seats filled so there is only a few seats left but at hibs, aberdeen and most of the other teams in the spfl have a large proportion of seats left which makes the league look a bit tinpot. Part of the problem is the old firm if people weren't glory hunters it would be different.

Coco Bryce
07-12-2021, 06:22 PM
The young team dont need them...

Anybody over 18 needs one. When I say young I mean under 30 😉

07-12-2021, 06:22 PM
Another good point. :greengrin

The only caveat to that would be Ross County and St Mirren haven't played Celtic at home yet and Aberdeen haven't played Rangers at home either. We have played both Rangers and Celtic at Easter Road, although admittedly we haven't played Hearts at home yet so maybe ours won't be the worst.

Still quite a significant drop though.

Exactly, who the teams have played will impact the averages (as I referred to for Livi in a prev post). Probably too many variables to get a really good handle on it but I would say Covid is having an impact on most clubs, if not all. And yes, how well a team is playing will also impact on walk ups. Plus the figures we're looking at are the reported figures and not actual bums on seats.

brog
07-12-2021, 06:23 PM
I don't think I've seen anyone on this site have a go at people not attending games for COVID related reasons.

He didn't say they had.

Coco Bryce
07-12-2021, 06:24 PM

Celtic - 56,052
Rangers - 46,094
Hearts - 15,894
Hibernian - 13,875
Aberdeen - 10,155
Motherwell - 5,789
St Johnstone - 4,688
Livingston - 4,377
St Mirren - 3,910
Ross County - 3,668

Celtic - 57,944
Rangers - 49,238
Hearts - 16,751
Hibs - 16,729
Aberdeen - 13,836
Motherwell - 5,575
St Mirren - 5,376
Ross County - 4,665
St Johnstone - 4,091
Livingston - 3,184

Shocking that ST Johnstone's crowds never went up after the season they had.

Coco Bryce
07-12-2021, 06:25 PM

Yeah. Seems I was talking pish.

brog
07-12-2021, 06:28 PM

There are plenty terrible games in the EPL including most of last night's. However the EPL have done a wonderful job of convincing the world that they have a unique product.

chippy
07-12-2021, 06:29 PM

Well bully for you you absolute brave hero

greenlex
07-12-2021, 06:31 PM
No need. He’s just giving his situation.:confused:

Coco Bryce
07-12-2021, 06:33 PM

That post is uncalled for. Only an opinion.

Jones28
07-12-2021, 06:34 PM

Chippy indeed

Musselbound
07-12-2021, 06:48 PM
I agree with the OP's point that the Covid situation has been somewhat overlooked in the drop in attendances. I'm not suggesting it is the only factor. I have my own personal reasons for not having been to a game at ER for a couple of years. There will be numerous reasons why people can't go or have limited options to attend. Our form could be a lot better but I took the chance to watch the Motherwell game on telly and thought it was an entertaining game.

HH81
07-12-2021, 07:00 PM

No point hiding away. If you had seen what I seen in hospital maybe you would be as brave. Live the dream.

brog
07-12-2021, 07:26 PM
It’s in the first sentence of the OP.

It's not! He only states that people are blaming everything on bad results without taking other factors, especially covid, into consideration.

Jones28
07-12-2021, 07:29 PM
It's not! He only states that people are blaming everything on bad results without taking other factors, especially covid, into consideration.

Christ I need a thicker pair of specs 😂

LaMotta
07-12-2021, 07:30 PM

Couple of points that go slightly against what you are saying - Hearts have had decent attendances, better than ours and certainly not dreadful. This is largely down to the post promotion bounce that clubs usually get, with a renewed optimism from fans. Although in their heads it's cause they are a "massive" club.:rolleyes:

Also re vaccination - over 90% of the eligible population in Scotland have been vaccinated - so I can't imagine that there are really that many Hibs fans that are unvaccinated ( despite the noise that the unvaccinated make on social media about passports etc). Also from this week, proof of a negative lateral flow test can be used instead of a vaccine passport for entry to events- so that doesn't need to be a barrier anymore.

chippy
07-12-2021, 07:33 PM
No point hiding away. If you had seen what I seen in hospital maybe you would be as brave. Live the dream.

Clarify what you have seen in hospital. I think it’s an arrogant insult to clinically vulnerable people to say they are ‘hiding away forever’ .

brog
07-12-2021, 07:41 PM
Christ I need a thicker pair of specs 😂

Don't worry, you're not alone!!

HH81
07-12-2021, 08:13 PM
Clarify what you have seen in hospital. I think it’s an arrogant insult to clinically vulnerable people to say they are ‘hiding away forever’ .

People dying from covid, unable to breathe and listening to video calls from family members in tears.

Vulnerable people need to have the jabs and then head out again. That's the reality of this awful illness. What are they going to do stay in the house forever? Having been in the awful position of seeing it all first hand, go live your life and you never know when it ends!

West lower
07-12-2021, 08:26 PM

And it’s this sort of thing that is preventing some people from returning.

FilipinoHibs
07-12-2021, 08:46 PM
The Hearts averages have dropped to. Not as much as Hibs but looking at the pictures from Tynie a lot of season ticket holders are not turning up which given their form must be down to Covid. I am sure those numbers would be bigger if there form was poor.

LaMotta
07-12-2021, 09:00 PM
The Hearts averages have dropped to. Not as much as Hibs but looking at the pictures from Tynie a lot of season ticket holders are not turning up which given their form must be down to Covid. I am sure those numbers would be bigger if there form was poor.

Hearts attendances are actually up if you remove the Celtic game which was restricted. They are around 17,400 average for the other games when larger capacity was available.

We are are at just over 15,000 if we remove the Ross County Game that was restricted.

chippy
07-12-2021, 09:02 PM
People dying from covid, unable to breathe and listening to video calls from family members in tears.

Vulnerable people need to have the jabs and then head out again. That's the reality of this awful illness. What are they going to do stay in the house forever? Having been in the awful position of seeing it all first hand, go live your life and you never know when it ends!

You never know when it ends, but it’s a hell of a more likely to happen if you contract covid , are over 60 and / or clinically vulnerable. despite being vaccinated. I’ll remain very cautious , like it seems so many other football fans

07-12-2021, 09:17 PM
Couple of points that go slightly against what you are saying - Hearts have had decent attendances, better than ours and certainly not dreadful. This is largely down to the post promotion bounce that clubs usually get, with a renewed optimism from fans. Although in their heads it's cause they are a "massive" club.:rolleyes:

Also re vaccination - over 90% of the eligible population in Scotland have been vaccinated - so I can't imagine that there are really that many Hibs fans that are unvaccinated ( despite the noise that the unvaccinated make on social media about passports etc). Also from this week, proof of a negative lateral flow test can be used instead of a vaccine passport for entry to events- so that doesn't need to be a barrier anymore.

As one poster said the other day, Hearts gave massive discounts on season ticket renewals because of the promise they made last season that fans would get 18 games at Tynecastle and they ended up getting 0 games there. So that will be a big factor in their attendances. Have noticed on tv they've had lots of empty seats too though, I'd guess they will be getting quite a few as well staying away because of Covid as they can watch on Hearts TV.

Being vaccinated doesn't mean people won't still stay away to be on the safe side, particularly those in higher risk categories.

LaMotta
07-12-2021, 09:34 PM
As one poster said the other day, Hearts gave massive discounts on season ticket renewals because of the promise they made last season that fans would get 18 games at Tynecastle and they ended up getting 0 games there. So that will be a big factor in their attendances. Have noticed on tv they've had lots of empty seats too though, I'd guess they will be getting quite a few as well staying away because of Covid as they can watch on Hearts TV.

Being vaccinated doesn't mean people won't still stay away to be on the safe side, particularly those in higher risk categories.

Yes that's a good point re the discounts Hearts were giving out - I had missed that.

On the vaccination point - OP was saying that unvaxxed would be likely to stay away because of the passport - I was just saying there probably aren't that many unvaxxed Hibs fans. But on your separate point about vaccinated staying away to be safe - being in an outside environment is pretty safe anyway as I understand it.

07-12-2021, 09:42 PM
Yes that's a good point re the discounts Hearts were giving out - I had missed that.

On the vaccination point - OP was saying that unvaxxed would be likely to stay away because of the passport - I was just saying there probably aren't that many unvaxxed Hibs fans. But on your separate point about vaccinated staying away to be safe - being in an outside environment is pretty safe anyway as I understand it.

I agree re outside, I am relatively happy being outside in a crowd but I'm not in a higher risk category. Some who are older or in higher risk categories will think it better to be safe and watch on Hibs TV.

The Modfather
07-12-2021, 09:43 PM
I agree with the OP's point that the Covid situation has been somewhat overlooked in the drop in attendances. I'm not suggesting it is the only factor. I have my own personal reasons for not having been to a game at ER for a couple of years. There will be numerous reasons why people can't go or have limited options to attend. Our form could be a lot better but I took the chance to watch the Motherwell game on telly and thought it was an entertaining game.

In amongst the many debated things like enjoyment and value for money etc, I was at the St Mirren game at home. I’m not sure I was worried about Covid but it certainly hit home just how used to my own space I’ve got over lockdown. Or what constitutes own space anyway with a 3 year old. I didn’t enjoy having people beside/near me and will take a bit of acclimatising again being in a big crowd.

HappyAsHellas
07-12-2021, 10:39 PM
When all the covid passport stuff came out, most young people got copies of the qr code from vaccinated friends. Just show the code at the door for scanning if anyone asks (which they don't) and you're in. This was mostly for night clubs, but the same will apply for football. I think if you showed them a qr code from tesco you'd still get in as no one is checking anything properly. I was at a game in Greece in October and everyone has to be scanned with their own app and the police checked our NHS stuff before we got in. In Italy over the weekend most people wear masks walking in the street and all public places have strict admission rules. As someone else mentioned, our lack of testing might keep some away from the games.