PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes

lord bunberry
07-12-2021, 07:05 AM
First test starts tonight. England have rested Anderson for this one which is a bit of a surprise, but I suppose he’s not getting any younger. I can’t see anything other than an Australian series win but I’m hoping for 5 exciting tests.

JeMeSouviens
07-12-2021, 10:17 AM
I fear we (:greengrin) are in for an absolute humping again. I was listening to 5live trying to hype it up this morning. England just aren't in the sort of test form that would give them a realistic chance out there, I don't think.

Mibbes Aye
07-12-2021, 03:37 PM
And once again, the Ashes are upon us. Nothing quite like it IMO. it is more than just a series of Test cricket, that's for sure.

Australia got their team out nice and promptly. Cameron Green confirms his ascendency by winning his fiirst Ashes cap at the tender age of 22. With only four Tests under his belt to date, he is inexperienced but is held in high regard by the Aussies, With first-class averages of over 50 with the bat and under 34 with the ball there is the potential of a very good all-rounder there.

He has certainly been nurtured throughout as an 'elite player' by Cricket Australia. What is of particular interest is that he has already had some stress fractures that have seen him only batting in games but this has led him to greater heights as a batsman. If not an all-rounder then potentially a very good batsman who can throw down a few overs. Although they are very different players, I am reminded somewhat of Marcus Labuschagne's rapid rise in becoming one of the first names on the team sheet.

The other pick worth noting is that of Travis Head over Usman Khawaja. Both share similar averages against England, both are markedly better on home soil than away. Head is seven years younger than Khawaja and I suspect, barring injuries to team-mates, that we will see little again of Khawaja in the baggy green.

For England, the loss of Anderson is pretty dispiriting. He is fit to play, but England are 'managing' his worload (and saving him in the hope of richer pickings at the venues further south). That might be tactically sensible on one level but essentially sends out a message of almost haviong conceded a loss at the Gabba already.

It also shouldn't need pointing out that in Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood, Australia have one of the best seam attacks on the planet and critically, can rotate very easily while the often underappreciated Nathan Lyon simply doesn't just hold down the other end but is a major threat in his own right. They are as likely to get wickets in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney as Anderson and Broad.

Of course, if England were able to breach the bastion in the opening match then that would serve as an enormous morale-booster. How to do that? As of my last check, England were still to name a starting XI, but had twelve players in the frame and the choice seems to be whether to include the spinner Leach, or bring in a massively under-prepared Ben Stokes, to provide a five-strong seam attack.

If that is the case then it appears simple enough to me. You are far likelier to win at the Gabba with Ben Stokes in your side than Jack Leach. Yes, there are caveats - Stokes' lack of games, Leach being decent enough - but it is really hard to visualise how England win without the talismanic Stokes, especially when there are so many doubts about some key batting positions in the English side.

Breaking it down and ooking at it simply or simplistically, even, in terms of the whole series - Australia have the better top order, the better quicks and the better spinner. I have not seen enough of Alex Carey to judge whether he is better than Jos Buttler with the gloves and one could make the case that both sides are uncertain about their best wicket keeper.

That leaves the middle order. If Stokes is able to perform anywhere close to his potential then England have a chance of winning this particular field of battle. However, I am fairly confident that Root has never scored a Test hundred in Australia and so much for England depends on him. All it might take is one of those transcendental, superhuman Steve Smith rampages across a number of maches, that he is prone to, every now and again, or Green to emulate Labuschagne's rapid rise into a nailed-down team pick.

So, in summary, hard to see beyond a series win for Australia and when they win the series at home it tends to be a mauling. Likewise for this particular match. Whatever happens, it will be fantastic I'm sure and the Ashes' capacity to create legends or burnish legendary status will no doubt be on show again

Tobias Funke
07-12-2021, 06:38 PM
Had a good chuckle reading the BBC pundits predictions, some are in total delusion in thinking England can win at least a couple of tests. This will be another pumping, 3 or 4 nil as I think weather might ruin at least the Brisbane test.

If weather doesn’t play a part England will likely complete ten innings, of which I reckon at least five of those will see scores of less than 150. Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc and Lyon are a formidable bowling lineup and Englands batting far too fragile.

I would love to see Haseeb Hameed shine, such a nice lad with huge potential, I just hope this tour is a good one for him.

lord bunberry
07-12-2021, 07:21 PM
I’d really like to see England bowl first tonight, I always think a fired up Aussie attack on day 1 is a recipe for disaster if a few wickets fall early. Obviously if conditions are such that it makes batting a no brainier then you’d expect them to do that, but the toss as always will be vital.

Tobias Funke
07-12-2021, 08:13 PM
I’d really like to see England bowl first tonight, I always think a fired up Aussie attack on day 1 is a recipe for disaster if a few wickets fall early. Obviously if conditions are such that it makes batting a no brainier then you’d expect them to do that, but the toss as always will be vital.

Steve Harmison mentioned on his vlog with Brad Hogg that the pitch looks green and with likely overcast conditions could really favour England.

Think Ollie Robinson could be a standout in the England bowling attack but will likely have any good work undone by the batting lineup.

Tobias Funke
07-12-2021, 08:14 PM
Also the new Kookaburra balls have a tougher seam which again could favour England.

ABZHFC
07-12-2021, 11:21 PM
I had a feeling the Aussies would come out and do this, hell of a start

Tobias Funke
07-12-2021, 11:28 PM
I had a feeling the Aussies would come out and do this, hell of a start

Still can’t believe Burns wicket, Starcs worst ball of the over.:rolleyes:

ABZHFC
07-12-2021, 11:39 PM

Yep, can only think it was nerves, he'd probably practiced that first shot a thousand times and then it comes and you forget to protect leg stump. Fantastic bowling from Hazlewood to get Root out, in fairness

lord bunberry
08-12-2021, 07:13 AM
Steve Harmison mentioned on his vlog with Brad Hogg that the pitch looks green and with likely overcast conditions could really favour England.

Think Ollie Robinson could be a standout in the England bowling attack but will likely have any good work undone by the batting lineup.
They chose to bat and are right up against it now. It probably wouldn’t have made any difference but I think it’s so easy to lose a test quickly when batting first. It’s up to the English bowling attack to keep the match alive now.

Stonewall
08-12-2021, 04:20 PM
I cannot believe England chose to bat first on a wicket that green. They then compound it by leaving out Anderson who was the bowler most likely to exploit these conditions.

I only saw Burns's wicket and it looked like he missed a legside half volley which he normally would have clipped for four. He does tend to walk across his stumps though so leaves himself vulnerable.

lord bunberry
08-12-2021, 04:33 PM
It was a couple of inches away from being a no ball.

Tobias Funke
08-12-2021, 10:07 PM
It was a couple of inches away from being a no ball.

Front foot no ball? Yeah, was very close.

Clear blue skies this morning. Not great for England.

Stonewall
08-12-2021, 10:42 PM
Front foot no ball? Yeah, was very close.

Clear blue skies this morning. Not great for England.

I fear the worst. Only compensation is that the Aussie batting line up is pretty fragile too. They need to nail this test convincingly to shore up their confidence. Otherwise it could get be interesting.

JeMeSouviens
09-12-2021, 09:35 AM
I fear the worst. Only compensation is that the Aussie batting line up is pretty fragile too. They need to nail this test convincingly to shore up their confidence. Otherwise it could get be interesting.

I didn't see any of it, but reports this morning it seemed the English attack was pretty good bar Leach, who got a bit of a pasting. Should have been one of Broad or Anderson, it's no wicket for a spinner.

England's problem is not enough runs. And they're never going to be in the position to provide many runs in Aus when they turn up the week before the first test, don't acclimatise and don't play anything like enough warm ups. If they want a serious go at an away ashes, they need to put the prep in. T20 world cup scheduling has pretty much killed the prospect of a decent series, imo.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-12-2021, 09:45 AM
Fine effort from Root and Malan on day 3 there, 58 runs behind.

Calvin
11-12-2021, 06:56 AM
Well, what an interesting first test that was. I was lucky enough to be there for all 4 days so even saw the half an hour today that occurred during the TV coverage failure!

As a proudly adopted Brisbanite, I was very pleased that the predictions of a washout never came to fruition. If you think Scottish forecasts are inaccurate then you'd have a great laugh at Queensland's efforts. Sitting in 30c heat for the 2 full days of 8 hours play has taken its toll though.. still I suppose that's a nice problem to have!

That first ball from Starc on Wednesday morning was genuinely one of the best individual moments of sport I've been a part of. Sensational scenes. I think it set the precedent for the whole innings... a team just totally unprepared for a gruelling match of test cricket. I don't have any sympathy for the England team though - while they had their practice matches washed out (as did the Aussies...), they were playing on the wicket down in the Gold Coast during their quarantine for far longer than they'd normally spend in Queensland. I actually thought England would be stood in good stead by having less of their team coming out of the T20 World Cup.

Australia's innings was no great shakes either. Steve Smith looked like he was trying to play T20 shots... I don't think I've ever seen him so uncomposed. Then take Travis Head who has had a great spring for South Australia and the difference was there to see. I was gutted for Cameron Green though who I watch a lot of for WA and think he's a real talent with the bat as well as the ball. He won't make the same mistakes again.

Such is the joy of the sport that a match that was over after the first day, was absolutely full of life before the start of the fourth day this morning - and it's credit to the rhythm that Root and Malan got themselves into. What a different a night makes though; and it was really disappointing to for the fixture to disintegrate in half an hour like that.

If the weather if fair... I can't see how there will be anything other than a 5-0.
The omission of Broad and Anderson struck me as a gamble on the Brisbane test being a wash out, and them trying to keep their two impressive fast bowlers fresh for Adelaide. However I thought that both Wood and Robinson were pretty good (the latter especially), and all it did was expose what a total lack of depth they have with the bat.
Some of the fielding was farcical at times too... Haseeb Hameed stands out of looking like he'd never seen a ball before during their fielding innings.

I'd like to see Jyhe Richardson in for Starc (or Hazlewood if he is carrying a knock.) I also don't think that Australia have their answer at the top of the order; but luckily for them I don't think this will matter.

I fly into Adelaide next Sunday morning. I'm just praying that there's still a match to go by first ball that afternoon as it's Day 4!

DaveF
11-12-2021, 08:33 PM
Good write up Calvin.

Do you not think England will do much better in Adelaide with the pink ball?

I thought England bowled well but didn't carry too much luck. If that turns, even a little bit, then they are certainly in the fight. I don't see it being a 5-0.

Calvin
12-12-2021, 08:40 AM
Good write up Calvin.

Do you not think England will do much better in Adelaide with the pink ball?

I thought England bowled well but didn't carry too much luck. If that turns, even a little bit, then they are certainly in the fight. I don't see it being a 5-0.

I hope it’s not a whitewash; but when the Aussies have the best bowling attack in the world; and a better batting lineup, I think England need a considerable amount of luck to get a result. If Adelaide favours Anderson and Broad - it surely favours the Aussie quicks too. A difference could be their freshness I suppose.

Steve Smith only scored 12 runs and Australia won by essentially an innings - if he gets it together then that’s a lot of runs next week that they didn’t have this week. Alex Carey and Travis Head are on their home ground, Marnus looked great and will still be livid that he got out the way he did… I think they just have too much for England.

He's here!
12-12-2021, 10:58 AM
Clearly some very knowledgeable cricket fans on here. I've watched a couple of Scotland games at the Grange and it's a thoroughly agreeable way to pass a day with a few beers. The Ashes, as others have said, has a unique allure.

Out of interest why do you think it is that 'we' support England at cricket when we wouldn't be so likely to do so in other sports? I qualify that by saying I wanted England to win this year's Euro football final.

IWasThere2016
12-12-2021, 06:39 PM
I've backed Aussies for 4-0 and 4-1

Stonewall
13-12-2021, 10:15 PM
Clearly some very knowledgeable cricket fans on here. I've watched a couple of Scotland games at the Grange and it's a thoroughly agreeable way to pass a day with a few beers. The Ashes, as others have said, has a unique allure.

Out of interest why do you think it is that 'we' support England at cricket when we wouldn't be so likely to do so in other sports? I qualify that by saying I wanted England to win this year's Euro football final.

I really don’t know why but I’ve never had problems supporting the England Cricket team. I do watch cricket in a different way to how I watch football. It’s much less partisan and there’s always been players with significant Scottish connections playing from Mike Dennes through Tony Greig, Alec Stewart, Robin Smith, Gavin Hamilton as well as Irish and Welsh players.

Always seemed like a GB team.

Also having played club cricket from 18-50 the Aussies were really a shower of ****s to play against.

He's here!
14-12-2021, 07:30 AM
I really don’t know why but I’ve never had problems supporting the England Cricket team. I do watch cricket in a different way to how I watch football. It’s much less partisan and there’s always been players with significant Scottish connections playing from Mike Dennes through Tony Greig, Alec Stewart, Robin Smith, Gavin Hamilton as well as Irish and Welsh players.

Always seemed like a GB team.

Also having played club cricket from 18-50 the Aussies were really a shower of ****s to play against.

Never realised Tony Greig was Scottish. I always thought he was South African.

That was my most fondly remembered England team as a kid. Alan Knott was my favourite.

JeMeSouviens
14-12-2021, 10:15 AM

3 things I think:

- Cricket commentators/pundits are generally extremely balanced, fair minded, sporting and only very gently partisan.
- We don't really have our own dog in the fight, recent limited overs teams notwithstanding.
- For most of the time I've followed cricket, England have often been the underdogs, and nobody pretends otherwise.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-12-2021, 05:18 AM
3 things I think:

- Cricket commentators/pundits are generally extremely balanced, fair minded, sporting and only very gently partisan.
- We don't really have our own dog in the fight, recent limited overs teams notwithstanding.
- For most of the time I've followed cricket, England have often been the underdogs, and nobody pretends otherwise.

You're 2nd point is the stand out one for me. Also, when it was piddling down during school summer holidays in the early 80s what else were you going to watch, "Beefy" Botham, Bob Willis, Gladstone Small etc, it was all good.

Calvin
16-12-2021, 01:13 AM
Pat Cummins out of the second test.
Suddenly I feel much less confident!

JeMeSouviens
16-12-2021, 12:51 PM
Pat Cummins out of the second test.
Suddenly I feel much less confident!

How about now? :greengrin

Buttler's drops.:boo hoo:

England soon be needing snookers again. :rolleyes:

DaveF
16-12-2021, 08:59 PM
The drop at the end was as bad as it gets.

And I think Stones bowled more short balls yesterday than the Windies did in the whole of the 80s 😁

3pm
17-12-2021, 09:34 AM
Those two lads who open for England... 🙈

Calvin
17-12-2021, 09:37 AM
Might be a long way on Sunday for not much cricket at this rate...

Mibbes Aye
17-12-2021, 07:43 PM
I listened to some of the game this morning (happy coincidence - it meant I was awake for the declaration to be read out in the North Shropshire bye-election :greengrin). Caught the highlights package tgis afternoon on BT Sports. An eventful day, to say the least.

I thought it was excellent game management by Australia. Bat conservatively in the opening period then become more expansive as the day went on and the England players sweltered in the relentless Adelaide heat.

What caught my eyes about the Australians was the oartnerships that emerged - Warner and Labuschagne, then Smith and Carey and then Neser and Starc. They didn't just provude the runs that dominated the Aussie total but they patiently acquired them slowly and surely (at least the first two pairs did).

Great timing with the declaration left England facing some tough overs to negotiate at the end of the day and Australia were happy to take out the two openers. They will be looking for a quick couple of wickets tomorrow, Root in particular.

All in all Australia would struggle to script it better. What was particularly telling was that at the close of Day Two in the Second Test, the Aussies had posted seven big Ashes scores (I'm setting the bar at 50+) to England's two. Admittedly, they have batted around 60% of the matchplay but even still, it is a stark difference.

Five of the Australian top seven batsmen have reached the half-century mark, two of them can both separately say they have the same number of fifties as the England team! Still early days I guess.

What maybe accentuated the difference in quality was that at first man down, that critical No.3 spot, the two teams are picking batsmen with ptactically identical matches and innings under their belt at Test level. But Malan for England averages below thirty while the Australian, Labuschagne, averages over sixty.

I have said a good few times on here that Hameed deserved to be in the England team and stick by that. If the selectors had the courage to pick him and Dom Sibley, with Zak Crawley at three, they would need to commit to letting them grow on the job, as they are still vey young.

Of course it would send out a real statement of intent were Root to move up. Playing at four probably makes his batting average better but with the state of England, it would show leadership on his part.

There are plusses for England. Robinson looks like he could lead an attack, which is very timely for England given that they find themsekves having ti manage Anderson's match time and I'm not sure what the state of play is with Jofra Archer - next spring at the earliest?

HH81
17-12-2021, 07:55 PM
Pretty awful showing so far from England.

I reckon this is the first ashes over there that I have not got up through the night to watch at least one day.

HH81
18-12-2021, 03:52 AM
77-2 decent start to the morning.

Hope I didn't jinx it.

After my post above thought I would get up and watch it today.

Calvin
18-12-2021, 03:53 AM
77-2 decent start to the morning.

Hope I didn't jinx it.

After my post above thought I would get up and watch it today.

Yeah! We saw at the Gabba what can happen when one of this pair lose their wicket; but a pleasing start to the day from an English perspective. Nice 67 run session.

HH81
18-12-2021, 04:22 AM
Yeah! We saw at the Gabba what can happen when one of this pair lose their wicket; but a pleasing start to the day from an English perspective. Nice 67 run session.

Looks a lovely ground to watch cricket at. Quite fancy an ashes once in my life over there.

Do a lot of cricket in England at Headingley but funny enough I quite like going to Old Trafford.

Calvin
18-12-2021, 04:25 AM
Looks a lovely ground to watch cricket at. Quite fancy an ashes once in my life over there.

Do a lot of cricket in England at Headingley but funny enough I quite like going to Old Trafford.
I only really got into cricket when I moved over here - I've been to a couple of ODIs and Middlesex matches at Lord's but now can't wait to do an Ashes in England too.
I've got decent tickets for tomorrow but if it makes it to a fifth day then I'll be placing myself directly on the hill for sure.

HH81
18-12-2021, 04:47 AM
I only really got into cricket when I moved over here - I've been to a couple of ODIs and Middlesex matches at Lord's but now can't wait to do an Ashes in England too.
I've got decent tickets for tomorrow but if it makes it to a fifth day then I'll be placing myself directly on the hill for sure.

Nice one. Have a great day 👍.

Root and Malan still going along well. Looks like I didn't jinx it just yet.

I tried that 100 balls last summer, enjoyed it at the game but can't get into when it was on TV. Might try watch another next summer.

HH81
18-12-2021, 05:56 AM
Root out for 62.

Should have left it. Annoying.

HH81
18-12-2021, 06:31 AM
158-4 now. Got a bad feeling about it now. 2 quick wickets and the runs have dried up.

At dinner I went for a 35 min walk. Should have stayed out. 😁

HH81
18-12-2021, 10:35 AM
Turned into a disaster of a day.

Nailed on loss for England in this test.

He's here!
20-12-2021, 01:52 PM
5-0 series win for the Aussies on the cards?

Calvin
22-12-2021, 03:49 AM
Well, that fifth day was like chinese water torture... not an entertaining day of test cricket. A good dig in by some of the English boys; but when the top order either can't score runs or give up their wicket so easily; the sheer amount of time on the Aussies' hands was always gonna do the job.

Was a pretty entertaining Day 4 though at least - pretty telling that Australia's semi-disinterested second innings (with a declaration) was only 6 runs shy of England's first innings effort.

Adelaide Oval was a great arena. Can't wait to get back there to watch some AFL. Couldn't believe how poor the turnout was.

HH81
22-12-2021, 01:33 PM
Well, that fifth day was like chinese water torture... not an entertaining day of test cricket. A good dig in by some of the English boys; but when the top order either can't score runs or give up their wicket so easily; the sheer amount of time on the Aussies' hands was always gonna do the job.

Was a pretty entertaining Day 4 though at least - pretty telling that Australia's semi-disinterested second innings (with a declaration) was only 6 runs shy of England's first innings effort.

Adelaide Oval was a great arena. Can't wait to get back there to watch some AFL. Couldn't believe how poor the turnout was.

You ever watch any of the NRL? Big RL fan myself.

Shame about the ashes though, no chance now of winning it. Annoying.

DaveF
22-12-2021, 06:21 PM

Watching some live NRL - and some AFL so I can get a remote clue as to what's going on in that game - is on my bucket list.

Calvin
23-12-2021, 01:32 AM

Been to quite a few Broncos games, as well as the Origin decider last year... but just can't get into it. I wasn't into union growing up and league seems even worse. I'll still go to games if I can get a comp through work as it's a good night out.

I absolutely love AFL though.

HH81
26-12-2021, 04:33 AM
Been to quite a few Broncos games, as well as the Origin decider last year... but just can't get into it. I wasn't into union growing up and league seems even worse. I'll still go to games if I can get a comp through work as it's a good night out.

I absolutely love AFL though.

I can't get into the AFL. Maybe I'm just too thick to understand it 😁.

Yes I really fancy the NRL. I know one of the coaches in it called Jason Demetriou. Top guy bought him a beer or two after his time at Keighley, one of the best guys met from sport.

Ashes going down pan again this morning bit of a shocker. Bairstow should have been in the team from start though, good player. Heard a few stories about his nights out 😂 but when it comes to cricket been class for England and Yorkshire.

theonlywayisup
26-12-2021, 12:29 PM
Thought England were good at cricket :stirrer:

Zazu62
26-12-2021, 11:17 PM
Anyone able to tell me what AFL and NRL are?

HH81
27-12-2021, 04:18 AM
Anyone able to tell me what AFL and NRL are?

NRL is Aus rugby league
AFL is Australia rules football.

The ashes is currently in Australia so they are getting a mention too.

HH81
27-12-2021, 05:54 AM
England's openers are truly awful.

Not test match standard. Rubbish and needing dropped, quick.

Sorry series so far, quite embrassing.

HH81
27-12-2021, 05:56 AM
7-2 now.

Although reviewed might get away with it.

Nope umpires call. Thought that was a little unlucky.

HH81
27-12-2021, 05:59 AM
Almost a hatrick. Root lucky not to nick it.

Might as well get on the plane home. Useless.

HH81
27-12-2021, 06:24 AM
Both openers out for a total of under 10.

I always look forward to ashes in Australia but this is once again a nightmare!

HH81
27-12-2021, 06:25 AM
Bet Australia don't bat again. I'm off walking.

HH81
27-12-2021, 06:26 AM
22-4.

Calvin
27-12-2021, 06:55 AM
I’ll write a bit more when I get back to the hotel; but that last hour was absolutely class.

From thinking England had made a good fist of it and this might be a 5 day contest… to train king they’ll be lucky to take it past tea tomorrow.

Test cricket, what a sport.

Tobias Funke
27-12-2021, 10:46 AM
Taking nothing away from Australia, they are a rock solid outfit with some genuine world class operators. However, this is one of the most brittle England batting sides in a long time. The bowlers worked tirelessly to give them a sniff and then they collapse in a heap. Stokes and Root won't pull them out this mess.

5-0. Only adverse weather will save England from that scoreline.

heretoday
27-12-2021, 11:04 AM
It's not as if the bowling is all that brilliant really.

If Holding or Lillee were on the pitch the game would already be done.

Zazu62
27-12-2021, 02:05 PM
NRL is Aus rugby league
AFL is Australia rules football.

The ashes is currently in Australia so they are getting a mention too.

Yeah I know the ashes is in Australia

DaveF
28-12-2021, 07:44 AM
Well, that didn't take long.

weecounty hibby
28-12-2021, 09:07 AM
Useless. Root is a great player but not a great captain. Need a Brearley type, decent player but brilliant captain who didn't have to listen to half the team telling him what to do. Batsmen are so weak it's unbelievable. Bowling unit keep getting them back into games but sadly haven't got too many more tests in them.

ronaldo7
28-12-2021, 01:24 PM
Television Sports presenter on
@AlJazeera
has just pointed out that the England cricket team has spent longer in quarantine than it has playing cricket. :greengrin

Tobias Funke
28-12-2021, 02:13 PM
For a country that puts so much importance on the test side performing well they don’t half shun the four day game domestically in favour of the shorter formats. Time for the ECB to put less importance on T20 cricket and also bin that Hundred drivel.

oneone73
28-12-2021, 04:24 PM
For a country that puts so much importance on the test side performing well they don’t half shun the four day game domestically in favour of the shorter formats. Time for the ECB to put less importance on T20 cricket and also bin that Hundred drivel.

Couldn't agree more.

lord bunberry
28-12-2021, 04:42 PM
It won’t happen as that’s where the money is for the counties. The first class games are poorly attended.

HH81
28-12-2021, 05:53 PM

T20 and hundred are good, I attended both last summer.

The people I go to cricket with wouldn't sit through a 4/5 day game.

I actually went to a Yorkshire 4 day game other year, there was 1000 to 1500 there, pretty much empty and they are best supported club.

Tobias Funke
28-12-2021, 08:36 PM
If the ECB want a test side that can mix it with the top teams then they need to put more emphasis on red ball cricket and work out how to make it more appealing. Maybe more day/night county matches will bring the punters in.

They are a cracking one day outfit but the effort put in to have England compete at that level has come at a huge cost to the test side.

Calvin
29-12-2021, 03:26 AM
I don't think I can say much more about that test that hasn't been said already. England abysmal with the bat and I really felt for Jimmy Anderson and the rest of the England fast bowlers - getting Labuschagne and Smith out for low totals is no mean feat. What a story Scott Boland is though... I'll never forget the atmosphere at the MCG yesterday.

I'm not sure I subscribe to all of the chat about toning down the amount of emphasis put on the short forms and getting back to the red ball game. The Big Bash League over here is on free to air TV every single night and all of the top players play it when they're not playing internationally (it was great when the tour of South Africa was cancelled in January to see world class red ball players participating in the BBL finals.) The short forms are vital to the sustained interest of the game; and both India and Australia show that the two can certainly coexist well, it's just that England need to do it better.

If it could be largely attributed to short form emphasis; then England should actually have as well as Australia. Buttler, Bairstow, Wood and Malan were at the T20 world cup. Hameed, Burns, Pope... all played the county game through the summer.
On the other hand, Australia had Warner and Smith, Cummins and Hazelwood all playing in Dubai. I struggle to find correlation here between short form emphasis making a test team better or worse.

It's true to say that the Sheffield Shield is definitely higher quality than the English County system; but there are only 6 teams that exist so the talent is less spread. They all have a defined remit that the point isn't to win the Sheffield Shield; but to prepare test players for the Australian team. Head coming in and hitting 156 at the Gabba was a great example of this. Maybe it needs to be emphasised that short form success is nice, but test is where the focus needs to be.

lord bunberry
29-12-2021, 12:50 PM
The failure to find a proper opening partnership has really cost England dear at the highest level in red ball cricket. Guys like Root coming in so early in an innings might work occasionally but it’s not going to get them anywhere. You then have more explosive players like Butler coming in and having to play defensively.

Calvin
31-12-2021, 02:32 AM
Travis Head out with Covid. Hope they put Mitch Marsh in instead of flogging the Usman Khawaja horse again.
Melbourne Stars and Sydney Sixers also seem to be decimated.
Will be interesting to see how the next couple of weeks go.

Zazu62
02-01-2022, 06:54 PM
Travis Head out with Covid. Hope they put Mitch Marsh in instead of flogging the Usman Khawaja horse again.
Melbourne Stars and Sydney Sixers also seem to be decimated.
Will be interesting to see how the next couple of weeks go.

Khawaja would probably get some easy runs playing against England

Mibbes Aye
04-01-2022, 09:25 PM
And so the Fourth Test dawns at the SCG, the Ashes already retained by Australia and a home series win guaranteed, and in quick fashion. There will be, and already have been a number of post-mortems of England's failure on Australian soil yet again. There is a lot to unpack there, but that shouldn't be to the detriment of what has been a very strong performance with bat and ball from the hosts.

All of Australia's batsmen have been involved in key partnerships at some stage over the previous three Tests and all have shown the wherewithal to produce some big individual scores. Behind the stumps, Carey has been good enough. The bowling unit has been sublime though, while disrupted. They have consistently bowled very accurate line and length at 140kph+, and any opponent will find that difficult. Add to that, the ever-reliable Nathan Lyon holding dowwn an end with the consistency that comes from over 100 Test matches and 400 Test wickets.

Put simply, England have been very poor but it would have taken a very, very strong touring team to win the series and reclaim the Ashes.

it will be easy to look at areas or aspects contributing to Englad's failings but for starters there have been tactical decisions made which are hard to excuse. Tngland's decision at the coin toss set the tone for the first Test but there were other inexplicable choices in that game, such as when to keep Leach in the attack. The fallout from the Gabba hinted at potential disharmony in the England camp, probably to some degree between Root, Broad and Anderson. A saving grace for England is that I get the impression Broad is seriously hacked off and may channel that in Sydney to good effect on the Aussies. I find Broad easy to dislike but he continues to have the capacity to be a real force, on his day.

As for the broader team selection, I have said a number of times on here that England should have identified a handful, a core group of promising young opening batsmen/top three and stuck with them. The difference in quality between bowling attacks at first-class and Test level is pronouncedly marked, so let the younger guys build up their confidence nd experience on home pitches ad cut them some slack on tour, in their early Test careers. I probably would have stuck with Sibley and Hameed, with Crawley at three, given Root refuses to take that mantle. Moving down the order, Stokes, Buttler and Bairstow could have been formidable as a middle trio but the latter two aren't really red-ball players that willl elevate England to the very top tier. I can't see either of them being on the next Ashes tour. It also smacks of square pegs and round holes, to accommodate them when the best glovesman in England, Ben Foakes, doesn't get a shout.

The English bowling unit is stronger though, and it has probably been a good tour for Ollie Robinson. It is also salutary to think that under different sircumstances England could have been selecting from Olly Stone and Jofra Archer to complement Robinson, Wood, Broad, Anderson and Stokes in the seam attack.

So, it is nearly time for the Test and Australia don't really look that much weaker and England, well, who knows? I'm disappointed that the Aistralians appear to be bringing in Khawaja for Head. On the plus side, it is a left-hander for a left-hander and he definitely plays better for Australia on home soil. On the negative side he just doesn't really convince at Test level and he is definitely not a vote for youth.

I had heard some chatter about Nic Maddinson being in the frame to stand in for Head, which would be bold, but I had hoped Kurtis Patterson might get a shout. Left-hander, familiar with the SCG and still relatively young for a Test batsman. Anyways, looking forward to another late-night vigil, with the help of BT Sport and TMS, for later on.

Calvin
05-01-2022, 02:54 AM
That was very nicely put.

Kurtis Patterson is a really interesting shout. Up and down for NSW this year but definitely capable; he's unlucky not to have more test caps.
I actually saw him playing for the Perth Scorchers last night down on the Gold Coast and he put in another solid knock in Marsh's absence.

Decided not to head down to Sydney (seemed like just asking to catch COVID) and I'm extra glad now, given what a stop start day it's been. Don't think either side will be too disappointed so far.

Mibbes Aye
06-01-2022, 09:59 PM
If only England had been able to dismiss Khawaja as easily as I did :greengrin.

Great innings from him. When he bats well he reminds me of a good snooker player. No discernible foot movement, it is all in the wrists and stance. Will wait to see how the rest of the match goes before considering what happens team-wise in the fifth Test. Khawaja very much described himself as a one-off replacement for Head, but that does leave other options, should Australia wish to keep him in the team.

The Australians will play ten Tests in the sub-continent next year, and Khawaja is considered as reasonably comfortable with spin, although his away form is lacklustre. There may be a consideration in him stepping into opening the batting in plae of Marcus Harris. That feels unlikely to me - Australia are almost at the opposite end of the spectrum from England in regard to team selection and player pathways, and I think Harris will be seen to be a long-term bet. Plus, he made a devent fist of things on a Melbourne pitch that was very far from harmless.

The other route to retention is in plae of Cameron Green. Again, Green is seen as a long-term investment and if he can get amongst the wickets in Sydney then he will surely play in the fifth Test. Going to the subcontinent is maybe another discussion.

Anyway, no room for romance in Australian selection. Richardson was excluded despite a five-for and Boland was only retained at the SCG because Hazlewood wasn't fully ready, despite Boland's 6-7 magic!

As for the rest of this Test, it is fantastically poised. Australia have three days, England have twenty wickets. Days four and five at the SCG should see pitch deterioration, so while England should find the capacity to get runs up, Lyon will surely be relishing having a good go.

HH81
14-01-2022, 04:16 AM
Australia 12-3. One dropped too.

Great start to the 5th test.

HH81
14-01-2022, 04:57 AM
Attack is on now 65-3.

HH81
15-01-2022, 04:14 AM
Burns run out. Awful call from Crawley.

Our openers have been a joke on this tour. 0/10.

weecounty hibby
15-01-2022, 07:59 AM
Another huge loss on the cards and another test that could easily be done in 4 days again. England are so soft.

HH81
16-01-2022, 09:49 AM
66-0 to 115-8.

Soft is an understatement. I'd call them utterly crap.

Mibbes Aye
16-01-2022, 11:26 AM
Burns run out. Awful call from Crawley.

Our openers have been a joke on this tour. 0/10.

England's openers have been particularly abysmal this series and there has been precious little in the way of highlights post-Strauss and post-Cook.

Chopping and changing the selection doesn't help, but neither does a simple lack of decent, let alone good, technique.

It's hard to think it could have been worse but then I remember that Josh Hazlewood was out for almost all the matches. Saying that, Richardson and then Boland hardly let anyone down.......

It is also fair to say there has been a marked decline in opening across Test cricket, especially over the last ten years.

But England's opening picks have been particularly abysmal.

theonlywayisup
17-01-2022, 12:05 PM
England get battered, everywhere they go. England get battered, everywhere they go, everywhere they go.

Mibbes Aye
17-01-2022, 05:52 PM
England get battered, everywhere they go. England get battered, everywhere they go, everywhere they go.

It certainly might feel that way for them just now but they have won five away series in the last ten years (lost eight and drawn three). I’m far from certain that’s horrendous for a team who could still probably consider themselves in the top four in the world, albeit still very much fourth IMO. I think South Africa and Pakistan will be pushing them hard in the rankings over the coming while, I suspect.

England’s home form over the last period is a lot stronger, as one would expect. I think they have won series against India and Australia twice each in the last ten years. In fact I don’t think Australia have won a series in England since 2001.