PDA

View Full Version : Announcement United in fir McGinn[emoji120]

Cheshire Hibee
05-12-2021, 09:58 PM
Please let it be true, nice little cash injection for us hopefully[emoji736]
Man Utd target McGinn and De Jong moves
John McGinn and Frenkie de Jong are both on Manchester United's radar as they prepare for a new future under Ralf Rangnick, according to reports in the Sun on Sunday.
United have had a long-running interest in Aston Villa's Scotland international, who is valued at £50m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
06-12-2021, 05:21 AM
Cannae be true

Some folk on here think SJM is not good enough to play for a top English club ? ?

They obviously did not see his performance yesterday

Scotsman also reporting it

Let it be true

Allant1981
06-12-2021, 06:36 AM
Cannae be true

Some folk on here think SJM is not good enough to play for a top English club ? ?

Let it be true

Has there been folk on here saying that?

BILLYHIBS
06-12-2021, 06:46 AM
Has there been folk on here saying that?

Yip!

Non HIBS game thread IIRC ?

FilipinoHibs
06-12-2021, 07:21 AM
Yip!

Non HIBS game thread IIRC ?

Thought it was only Jambos and Celtic fans that spouted that rubbish.

BILLYHIBS
06-12-2021, 07:25 AM
Thought it was only Jambos and Celtic fans that spouted that rubbish.

Celtic only wanted him as a benchwarmer so wouldn’t pay the asking price apparently

Hearts ?

Well their opinion really doesn’t count 😃

Since452
06-12-2021, 07:49 AM
I've been saying for ages that Man United should sign him. Would be an excellent fit for that club in terms of personality and style and they've historically always had a strong Scottish element. Reminds me of a young Roy Keane in terms of his energy. Alex Ferguson would have had him signed by now.

Just_Jimmy
06-12-2021, 07:59 AM
I've been saying for ages that Man United should sign him. Would be an excellent fit for that club in terms of personality and style and they've historically always had a strong Scottish element. Reminds me of a young Roy Keane in terms of his energy. Alex Ferguson would have had him signed by now.Mcginn is 27. Keane was 22 when he joined utd.

Mcginn would have to replace Fernandes to play further forward and even then he's completing with van der beek who hasn't had a look in. He'd add drive and energy there's no doubt and I'd like to see how he got on, I just don't see it happening.

He's not going to city or Liverpool. His best chance at a big money move would probably be to Newcastle when they start throwing money around in the early stages.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The 90+2
06-12-2021, 08:02 AM
The emoji i120 seals the deal for me like.

Since452
06-12-2021, 08:06 AM
Mcginn is 27. Keane was 22 when he joined utd.

Mcginn would have to replace Fernandes to play further forward and even then he's completing with van der beek who hasn't had a look in. He'd add drive and energy there's no doubt and I'd like to see how he got on, I just don't see it happening.

He's not going to city or Liverpool. His best chance at a big money move would probably be to Newcastle when they start throwing money around in the early stages.

I know there is a difference in ages but his style of play is very similar to Keane when he first joined. Box to box and never stops going. Different to the older Keane who sat deeper

MWHIBBIES
06-12-2021, 08:07 AM
Cannae be true

Let it be true

He's good enough for a place at United sure. Not the 3 teams who are actually top ones right now.

What is the source on this story anyway? Can't see villa selling him for 50 million

bigwheel
06-12-2021, 08:16 AM
SJM seems to grow into what ever level he is playing at …and I wouldn’t bet against him growing his performance again if he got a move to Utd

BILLYHIBS
06-12-2021, 08:18 AM
He's good enough for a place at United sure. Not the 3 teams who are actually top ones right now.

What is the source on this story anyway? Can't see villa selling him for 50 million

Source:

The Sun

The Scotsman

So it must be true

No?

MWHIBBIES
06-12-2021, 08:19 AM
Source:

The Sun

The Scotsman

So it must be true

No?
Probably not, no

CentreLine
06-12-2021, 08:23 AM
Probably not, no

Would be good though 🤞

DH1875
06-12-2021, 08:23 AM
Probably done to death but what is the sell on clause? Lot of folk saying around 10% but I always thought it was closer to 30%.

MWHIBBIES
06-12-2021, 08:26 AM
Would be good though 🤞

Of course.

I'd love this to happen, for John and most importantly, for Hibs. But I'm not sure it will. He is getting older, there are better midfielders out there and Villa would want more than what clubs will pay.

Hiber-nation
06-12-2021, 08:40 AM
He's surprised me this season. Taken his game to a higher level. Bossing the midfield in Premier League games. Not many players can do that and it's brilliant to see.

Diclonius
06-12-2021, 08:46 AM
McGinn Utd

Speedy
06-12-2021, 08:50 AM
Probably done to death but what is the sell on clause? Lot of folk saying around 10% but I always thought it was closer to 30%.

The consensus seems to be 15%, with St Mirren getting 30% of our share. So effectively 10% to us, 5% to St Mirren.

nonshinyfinish
06-12-2021, 08:51 AM
The emoji i120 seals the deal for me like.

Just checked the Unicode table and emoji120 is 'red-faced Celtc chairman'.

nonshinyfinish
06-12-2021, 08:52 AM
The consensus seems to be 15%, with St Mirren getting 30% of our share. So effectively 10% to us, 5% to St Mirren.

It's no longer just consensus – it was officially confirmed at the AGM.

Diclonius
06-12-2021, 08:53 AM
Five million for John McGillion

Fergus52
06-12-2021, 09:08 AM
Mcginn is 27. Keane was 22 when he joined utd.

He wouldn't play as a 10 at man u so wouldn't be competing with Fernandes.

He'd most likely play deeper and replace Fred as their left footed box to box midfielder

Keith_M
06-12-2021, 09:34 AM

Mr pedantic says... It's actually 10.5% to us and 4.5% to St Mirren, but you were close :wink:

FWIW, I'd be surprised if Man United did go for him.

Nicho87
06-12-2021, 10:10 AM
Some pals told me if Celtic signed him he would struggle to get ahead of nitcham at the time. Wow.

Cheshire Hibee
06-12-2021, 10:20 AM
Watching Villa match yesterday I’m sure it was Souness said he would be a great fit at United.
After the Chelsea game earlier in the season he said McGinn is a great player who will only get better, Villa will go off at me for saying this but but big clubs will be looking at him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IWasThere2016
06-12-2021, 11:03 AM
Has the work ethic to play for Liverpool - and the work ethic ManUre need.

He will move on.. and up.. I think it will be £50m+ also.

Smartie
06-12-2021, 11:15 AM
Some pals told me if Celtic signed him he would struggle to get ahead of nitcham at the time. Wow.

My mate who supports Celtic STILL doesn't rate him.

Thinks he's pish, was delighted Celtic weren't held to ransom by Hibs (!!!!) and doesn't think he merits a starting place in the Scotland team.

Bizarrely - my mate is normally quite reasonable for one of them.

Fair to say - we disagree on this one by some way.

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-12-2021, 11:35 AM
There was a cracking thread on JKB when Celtic were trying to sign him for £1million where they were pretty unanimous that he wasn’t worth that much and would not play at a higher level than Hibs. Perfectly summed up the stupidity of some football fans. Wonder if it’s still there..

hhibs
06-12-2021, 11:49 AM

OR

10.5% to us 4.5 % to St Mirren

beaten to the punch by pedantic !

Speedy
06-12-2021, 11:54 AM
What's 0.5% between friends...

The 90+2
06-12-2021, 11:54 AM
Just checked the Unicode table and emoji120 is 'red-faced Celtc chairman'.

😆 the irony being his grandad was one.

BroxburnHibee
06-12-2021, 12:15 PM
He's a better player than Fred IMO. He'd fit right into that position

J-C
06-12-2021, 12:39 PM

He was outstanding yesterday, his power and strength was so evident, add in about 5 wonderful defence splitting passes that weren't converted, he'll add so much more to that United midfield.

gbhibby
06-12-2021, 12:49 PM

Thinks he's pish, was delighted Celtic weren't held to ransom by Hibs (!!!!) and doesn't think he merits a starting place in the Scotland team.

Has he/she been to the opticians recently? If not you should make an appointment for him/her pronto.

06-12-2021, 01:01 PM

Ask him how many goals the disco lights they spent the money on instead have scored and assisted.

BILLYHIBS
06-12-2021, 01:01 PM
He was outstanding yesterday, his power and strength was so evident, add in about 5 wonderful defence splitting passes that weren't converted, he'll add so much more to that United midfield.

One pass was even compared to Iniesta IIRC

That run where he bulldozed his way down the Leicester left second half was vintage SJM

Fair drags a team up the park

hibsbollah
06-12-2021, 01:15 PM
Lawwell said he wasn’t worth £2million.
How did that go again?

gbhibby
06-12-2021, 01:26 PM
I am sure it was reported that massive club Celtc could not match the wages offered to SJM by Villa.

ancient hibee
06-12-2021, 02:15 PM
The decisions made over McGinn and Gordon show that Lawell was full of himself. Reminded me of Tom Hart with Strachan and Robertson many years ago.

Liberal Hibby
06-12-2021, 03:08 PM
What's 0.5% between friends...

1% :wink:

hibee-boys
06-12-2021, 03:21 PM
Why would Villa sell Mcginn for 50million when he’s got 3 years left on his contract and have to hand 15% back to us. Could they replace him for 42.5million🤔 I don’t think so, fees paid by EPL teams are ridiculous.

Blurhibee
06-12-2021, 03:25 PM
I hope he signs for Liverpool, he would be a great replacement for Jordan Henderson for when he finishes

Speedy
06-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Why would Villa sell Mcginn for 50million when he’s got 3 years left on his contract and have to hand 15% back to us. Could they replace him for 42.5million🤔 I don’t think so, fees paid by EPL teams are ridiculous.

I would agree. And for that reason I'm glad the sell on isn't any higher than 15%.

I reckon Villa will want around £70m.

hhibs
06-12-2021, 10:32 PM
I would agree. And for that reason I'm glad the sell on isn't any higher than 15%.

I reckon Villa will want around £70m.

I f there is a bid from Liverpool or Man U then they will pay. IMO

Add in a Newcastle wild card and you just might get to that point.

Just_Jimmy
07-12-2021, 12:29 AM
He wouldn't play as a 10 at man u so wouldn't be competing with Fernandes.

He'd most likely play deeper and replace Fred as their left footed box to box midfielderHe wouldn't do that either. It's not his best position and despite all the twitter experts, Fred isn't a bad player. I'd love to see mcginn at utd but I'll believe it when it happens.

Onion
07-12-2021, 12:40 AM
Cannae be true

Let it be true

The state of Man U is summed up by how long it has taken them to target SJM. He's a no-brainer signing and easily good enough to improve them from where they are at the mo. Would much prefer Klopp/Liverpool to come in for him as he deserves better than Man U.

Yorkshire HFC
07-12-2021, 05:49 AM
The state of Man U is summed up by how long it has taken them to target SJM. He's a no-brainer signing and easily good enough to improve them from where they are at the mo. Would much prefer Klopp/Liverpool to come in for him as he deserves better than Man U.

Man Utd haven't even got a permanent manager - are they really going to spend money on a player their new manager might not even want?

Anyway, I'm not bothered - I couldn't care less how much money Hibs have - some people seem to think having a good accountant is better than having a good striker. Spending money doesn't guarantee anything.

Dalianwanda
07-12-2021, 06:07 AM
Man Utd haven't even got a permanent manager - are they really going to spend money on a player their new manager might not even want?

Anyway, I'm not bothered - I couldn't care less how much money Hibs have - some people seem to think having a good accountant is better than having a good striker. Spending money doesn't guarantee anything.

Nothings guaranteed but it is a fact that if you have money you can afford a higher calibre of player.....which gives a better chance of success. So you want us to get a good striker, what do we buy him with if not cash?

Tommy75
07-12-2021, 09:36 AM
I hope he signs for Liverpool, he would be a great replacement for Jordan Henderson for when he finishes

Agreed but that depends when Henderson finishes playing. Henderson is only 31 and McGinn is 27. If Henderson has another 2/3 years in him I doubt they'd pay big bucks for a 30 year old McGinn.

J-C
07-12-2021, 09:38 AM

Is he not taking over Woodward's job at the end of the season.

Fergus52
07-12-2021, 10:22 AM
He wouldn't do that either. It's not his best position and despite all the twitter experts, Fred isn't a bad player. I'd love to see mcginn at utd but I'll believe it when it happens.

Fred isn't bad but McGinn is better imo.

What would you say his best position is if not box to box/'number 8'? He's played there for all of his best, most consistent form at club level for both Hibs and Villa.

He's had several good games further forward for Scotland where he's a good fit in Clarke's system, but no way is his best position as a 10 or wide forward.

neil7908
07-12-2021, 11:20 AM
I do think John's age is a factor here. English clubs splash the cash but I think they are normally looking for the finished article, or a younger player who might grow to be exceptional.

theonlywayisup
07-12-2021, 11:51 AM
I do think John's age is a factor here. English clubs splash the cash but I think they are normally looking for the finished article, or a younger player who might grow to be exceptional.

You mean like a Dele Ali type player - however, huge risk that the young player doesn't continue to improve. There's many over the years that have promised so much, then failed to deliver when they see the big money in their bank. McGinn is becoming one of the best and most consistent midfielders in the EPL and his biggest asset is his energy.

KeithTheHibby
07-12-2021, 12:07 PM
Man United's midfield lacks energy,been probably the biggest problem for them this season.

McGinn has this in abundance - he is also good enough for the Mancs so seems a perfect fit.

LeithMike
07-12-2021, 04:31 PM
Man United's midfield lacks energy,been probably the biggest problem for them this season.

McGinn has this in abundance - he is also good enough for the Mancs so seems a perfect fit.Agree. They perhaps need a really good holding midfielder who is good on the ball too. That player, McGinn and Fernandes would be a very good midfield three.

Only issue would be that McGinn now has a lot of miles on the clock and a bad injury could curtail his covering of the park and he's not really cut out to be a defensive player.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Just_Jimmy
08-12-2021, 12:52 AM
Fred isn't bad but McGinn is better imo.

What would you say his best position is if not box to box/'number 8'? He's played there for all of his best, most consistent form at club level for both Hibs and Villa.

He's had several good games further forward for Scotland where he's a good fit in Clarke's system, but no way is his best position as a 10 or wide forward.I agree he's a traditional 8 but utd play with 2 6s and a 10.

I will say it again, I'd love him to sign for utd and he'd do well but i don't see it happening for various reasons.

Onion
08-12-2021, 01:30 AM

McGinn has this in abundance - he is also good enough for the Mancs so seems a perfect fit.

McGinn would be perfect for Man U and would continue the long line of great Scottish players to play for them. Their fans would love him.

Still think a move to Liverpool would be better for SJM.

FilipinoHibs
08-12-2021, 04:58 AM

Fred is a regular in the Brasil team!

LancsHibs
08-12-2021, 05:32 AM
Don’t care where he goes but please Villa get Super John sold. We need to invest in our squad and that money would have us shopping at another level.🙏

Greenworld
08-12-2021, 10:45 AM
McGinn would be perfect for Man U and would continue the long line of great Scottish players to play for them. Their fans would love him.

Still think a move to Liverpool would be better for SJM.Now is a great time for him to go to united. I've said he is made man United.
Where ever he ends up its looking like a bidding war which is magnificent.
He will be brilliant at either club . Selfishly I hope it's united.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Hibby Kay-Yay
08-12-2021, 11:34 AM
Don’t care where he goes but please Villa get Super John sold. We need to invest in our squad and that money would have us shopping at another level.🙏

I don’t think it would have us shopping for a lot of players at the next level. Big fees means big wages and that £5m (est amount) can be swallowed up quite quickly. Our next level would either be at the old firm or and inbetweener of Bigger than the rest but still Lower than the old firm.

I don’t think £5m would have us bigger than the rest but it would help to get us there.

Sean1875
08-12-2021, 11:54 AM
Mad to think we're potentially looking at setting a new record fee received for a player and its not even us selling him :greengrin

danhibees1875
08-12-2021, 12:45 PM
Mad to think we're potentially looking at setting a new record fee received for a player and its not even us selling him :greengrin

As are st mirren.

It'll trigger records for all 3 clubs.

nonshinyfinish
08-12-2021, 12:47 PM
As are st mirren.

It'll only be all three clubs if he's sold for more than Grealish…

MWHIBBIES
08-12-2021, 12:48 PM
As are st mirren.

It wont for Villa.

AltheHibby
08-12-2021, 01:34 PM
It wont for Villa.

It might be!

Hey, I can dream, can't I?