PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite era for atmosphere at ER?

He's here!
05-12-2021, 02:34 PM
A lot of chat on here about the lack of atmosphere at home games these days.

I'd say most recently the best atmosphere at ER was in the months following the return of Scott Allan and the signing of Kamberi/Maclaren under Lennon.

However, I think my favourite era for atmosphere was under Mowbray/early Collins. Young team comprising a number of terrific players who'd come through the youth system, running out to Teenage Kicks and a focus on attacking football. It didn't always happen, but you knew that most weeks you were going to be entertained. There were always goals in the team and we used to dish out four, five, six and even seven goal hammerings regularly. Those were also the days (pre-kids) when I had a season ticket and would begin and end every matchday in the pub which also played a part in the atmosphere :wink:

Obviously a winning/entertaining team creates a good atmoshpere (some of the nights under the lights - eg 6-2, AEK - under McLeish were unforgettable), but even in darker days when crowds were often a lot smaller than they are now there used to still be a real buzz when we were playing down the slope in the second half and chasing a game.

Itsnoteasy
05-12-2021, 04:26 PM
AEK by a country mile. If only Paco had scored at the end.

Hermit Crab
05-12-2021, 04:33 PM

I'd say most recently the best atmosphere at ER was in the months following the return of Scott Allan and the signing of Kamberi/Maclaren under Lennon.

However, I think my favourite era for atmosphere was under Mowbray/early Collins. Young team comprising a number of terrific players who'd come through the youth system, running out to Teenage Kicks and a focus on attacking football. It didn't always happen, but you knew that most weeks you were going to be entertained. There were always goals in the team and we used to dish out four, five, six and even seven goal hammerings regularly. Those were also the days (pre-kids) when I had a season ticket and would begin and end every matchday in the pub which also played a part in the atmosphere :wink:

Obviously a winning/entertaining team creates a good atmoshpere (some of the nights under the lights - eg 6-2, AEK - under McLeish were unforgettable), but even in darker days when crowds were often a lot smaller than they are now there used to still be a real buzz when we were playing down the slope in the second half and chasing a game.

This for me as well. The days when we were whipping teams at ER under Mowbray. The atmosphere was hard to beat involving games vs the OF and Hearts at home. Valued my time in the East stand during that time.

BILLYHIBS
05-12-2021, 04:33 PM
Best atmospheres over the decades

1972 Sporting Lisbon 6-1

1986 Celtic 4-3

2001 AEK

2016 90+2 at Hampden I honestly thought I was going to go into cardiac arrest :greengrin

ben johnson
05-12-2021, 04:49 PM
The general atmosphere at ER after the Cup win in 2016 was great. I remember a game when a peshed group from
Hospitality in the West Stand comfy seats gave it laldy nearly all game. I received a call from my Mum at 3.30 pm yesterday. Took the call and had no difficulty hearing her.
West upper was silent until later in the game.

heretoday
05-12-2021, 04:55 PM

Good days.

Keith_M
05-12-2021, 05:15 PM
It's really easy to get an atmosphere going when you're playing a European game against AEK Athens or Leeds United, or have a team on the park of the quality that we had under Turnbull, Mowbray and then Lennon... or even when you're beating Rangers 3-1 at Hampden.

From some of those earlier eras, people understandably remember the big Euro games, Cup matches or massive crowds against Celtic and Rangers, but forget that a lot of the intervening matches had little to no atmosphere.

What's much more admirable is a group of fans that are determined to get behind the team in a difficult time and try to encourage them, or at the very least, provide an atmosphere when there's little on the park to get excited about.

When the East Stand was rebuilt, the original 'singing section' in Section 43 were a revelation and improved the atmosphere immensely, in what wasn't a great time for supporting Hibs.

It certainly livened up the games quite a bit... before it seemed to become all factional, with one group moving the to the front of the east stand and some of the original members just gave up in frustration.

BILLYHIBS
05-12-2021, 05:18 PM
It's really easy to get an atmosphere going when you're playing a European game against AEK Athens or Leeds United, or have a team on the park of the quality that we had under Turnbull, Mowbray and then Lennon... or even when you're beating Rangers 3-1 at Hampden.

From some of those earlier eras, people understandably remember the big Euro games, Cup matches or massive crowds against Celtic and Rangers, but forget that a lot of the intervening matches had little to no atmosphere.

What's much more admirable is a group of fans that are determined to get behind the team in a difficult time and try to encourage them, or at the very least, provide an atmosphere when there's little on the park to get excited about.

When the East Stand was rebuilt, the original 'singing section' in Section 43 were a revelation and improved the atmosphere immensely, in what wasn't a great time for supporting Hibs.

It certainly livened up the games quite a bit... before it seemed to become all factional, with one group moving the to the front of the east stand and some of the original members just gave up in frustration.

Eureka!

What if we moved the Singing Section to the Famous Five Lower ?

Problem solved :greengrin

Keith_M
05-12-2021, 05:23 PM
Eureka!

What if we moved the Singing Section to the Famous Five Lower ?

Problem solved :greengrin

We could just rebuild the East stand again, see if it has the same effect as the last time.

Need to find out if Gogs is willing to make a comeback though :wink:

ahibby
05-12-2021, 05:26 PM

I would agree. The McLeish era had some great home ganes. The 6 . 2 game was also a fantastic night and atmosphere

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2021, 05:39 PM
I could probably pick half a dozen games from every era since i started going in the 60s.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-12-2021, 05:39 PM
Mibbie folks in response (even those that have already responded?) can add the era they started going to the match?

im a Miller era Hibbie - some highs and lows there!

sways on the terrace crowds touching 29k iirc against the OF and Hearts. I was there for the dark times - outside ER after hearing the takeover news and there for the 1st Derby when Robbo did his thing… :(

memorable moments

- Singing in the rain for ArchieGoal -Archie the jinx buster.

- the Collins era had some cracking games - I remember KT and Broony laughing and playing kept-holy next to the East Stand. We beat them that day played with such confidence.

in more recent times the game against Hearts when we beat them Iirc 2016/17 3-1 or 3-0 when Holt did his Hulk celebration. That atmosphere in the east was the most consistent and up for it noise I have experienced at ER non-stop from pre Match confidence through to the post match euphoria.

I think a combo of McLeish, Collins, Stubbs and Lenny would be the eras with the best swagger, confidence buoying the atmosphere.

Libby Hibby
05-12-2021, 05:40 PM
Lennon period.

He's here!
05-12-2021, 05:44 PM

The difference with the Mowbray/initial Collins era tho was that for less glamorous games the atmosphere WAS good because of the way the team always tried to play. I remember sitting in my seat in the old East watching us go 4-0 up against Gretna in approx 20 mins (a few days after beating Rangers) and thinking this is just a joy to watch. Off the top of my head we beat Livi 7-0, Arbroath 6-0, Sheep 4-1, St Mirren 5-1 and Dundee 4-1 during that time while I also recall some thumping away wins at Tannadice, Motherwell, East End Park (and of course a couple of 3-0 wins at Ibrox!).

May21/05/16
05-12-2021, 06:06 PM
AEK Athens was the best

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

.Sean.
05-12-2021, 06:24 PM
The unbeatable derby is still well up there for me. My second favourite game after the obvious first. Carnage after Boozy scored the first then complete and utter delirium when O’Connor scored the second. The whole era from when Mowbray took over til the cup win is what I’d class as ‘my team’, I never missed one home game be it league or cup through that period and I’d started to go away games around about then too.

Was also home and away every week under Stubbs and Lennon and loved that era, Stubbs in particular and visiting all the stadiums in the lower leagues I’d never been to, and the cup final is the best day of my life, but Mowbray/ early Collins era was my favourite.

MagicSwirlingShip
05-12-2021, 06:29 PM
Mowbray era into early Collins era.

Teenage kicks, a bouncin East, a regular HibeesBounce, exciting team, Hibs fans in the away end.

Brilliant

Lancs Harp
05-12-2021, 06:29 PM
Not an era but a single game, I thought the atmosphere at 3-0 up against rangers in the 5-5 was brilliant. Fans in four sides of the ground and it was rocking.

The 90+2
05-12-2021, 06:45 PM
Mowbrays by miles.

ABZHFC
05-12-2021, 06:47 PM
Not an era but a single game, I thought the atmosphere at 3-0 up against rangers in the 5-5 was brilliant. Fans in four sides of the ground and it was rocking.

Yeah, I agree with this. Chasing a 6-0 win as well, the roof came off the place when we netted a third

Waxy
05-12-2021, 07:00 PM
The era from 1985 standing under the east terrace shed until it was seated.

Broken Gnome
05-12-2021, 07:01 PM
Mowbray, particularly 2005/06 and most obviously in games when we were behind or pushing for a winner in the second half. More often than not you knew it would come, and if it didn't it.wasnt for the lack of trying or entertainment.

Really great days without actually achieving that much.

LunasBoots
05-12-2021, 07:32 PM
The old east atmospheres where best for me, the sound at full voice travelled well.

wookie70
05-12-2021, 07:41 PM

I started going in the late 70s and hardly missed a game in the 80s at ER. Even rubbish games, which were most, had a bit of an atmosphere and the big games were very good. Standing did make a difference but when the seats went in it was still really good.

The Modfather
05-12-2021, 07:49 PM

The Mowbray era for me too. A team and manager the support really connected with despite it being a flawed team and manager who possibly underachieved. We played high tempo, energetic attacking football with some crazy wins and comebacks. Add in it was done with a mainly young and homegrown team and it ticks many of the boxes I look to tick. There was a buzz and excitement leading up to games that I’ve only really experienced under that 6 months under Lennon, despite better Hibs teams who also achieved more.

DIXIHIBS
05-12-2021, 08:08 PM
Every era has had specific games where atmosphere stood out but for me beating souness's huns 1986? stands out. Total frenzy from start to finish. Overall though the knocking down of the east terracing was bad for atmosphere.

Jones28
05-12-2021, 08:16 PM
Had some great games under lots of different managers. The latter half of the 17/18 season when we were gunning for second was unbelievable at times. The first 30 mins of the 5-5 game is something I’ll never forget.

Smartie
05-12-2021, 08:20 PM
The old east was brilliant with the roof on before the seats went in.

Folk probably complied fairly well initially after the seats went in but after a while everyone just stood in there anyway. I remember reading some book where a guy went to various football grounds, took in a game and commented on the quirks of the day out. When it came to Easter Road and being in the old East it really was quite bizarre when you think about it. Seats provided, but you don't sit on them. When something interesting happens in a part of the pitch that isn't easily seen, everyone stands on the seat in front of them to get a better look. Anyone who has a ticket and is looking for a specific seat is told firmly to gtf. After a goal in a big game you have no idea where you might end up, but minor injuries were part of the experience. A waft of marijuana would go past every so often, some areas being clouded in a permanent fug.

I miss it so much.

Mowbray era was probably the best time to be in there.

hibsbollah
05-12-2021, 08:22 PM
The old east.

FilipinoHibs
06-12-2021, 05:03 AM
1972 vs Celtic Hampden
1973 vs Hearts Tynie
1984 vs Rangers ER 2-0 LC semi
1986 4-3 Celtic ER
1987 2-1 Hearts ER
1991 2-0 Dunfermline Hampden
2012 1-0 Hearts ER SC
The Butcher New Year derby ER

Since452
06-12-2021, 05:27 AM
90's east stand was tremendous. Not sure if that's because I was a youngster and it was new to me but just seemed brilliant.

Allant1981
06-12-2021, 06:40 AM
90's east stand was tremendous. Not sure if that's because I was a youngster and it was new to me but just seemed brilliant.

I loved sitting in the east as a teenager, our seats were right under the tv gantry, seemed to be plenty of nutters in there at the time(i was only 14 going on 15 so the guys seemed nuts) and the atmosphere was great. Managed to get one of the old seats from the east, not mine unfortunately

StockholmHibs
06-12-2021, 07:39 AM
1986 versus Rangers. Graham Souness sent off.
Now that wiz a brammer!

Bridge hibs
06-12-2021, 07:44 AM
1986 versus Rangers. Graham Souness sent off.
Now that wiz a brammer!There is some grainy footage of that game on youtube, I was in the East terrace that day, sweltering hot and unbelievable atmosphere, oh for the return of those days again

Killiehibbie
06-12-2021, 09:30 AM
There is some grainy footage of that game on youtube, I was in the East terrace that day, sweltering hot and unbelievable atmosphere, oh for the return of those days again

Some grainy footage in my head of my 18th birthday weekend.

Bushwoof
06-12-2021, 09:57 AM
The old east was brilliant with the roof on before the seats went in.

Folk probably complied fairly well initially after the seats went in but after a while everyone just stood in there anyway. I remember reading some book where a guy went to various football grounds, took in a game and commented on the quirks of the day out. When it came to Easter Road and being in the old East it really was quite bizarre when you think about it. Seats provided, but you don't sit on them. When something interesting happens in a part of the pitch that isn't easily seen, everyone stands on the seat in front of them to get a better look. Anyone who has a ticket and is looking for a specific seat is told firmly to gtf. After a goal in a big game you have no idea where you might end up, but minor injuries were part of the experience. A waft of marijuana would go past every so often, some areas being clouded in a permanent fug.

I miss it so much.

Mowbray era was probably the best time to be in there.

That was definitely it. You genuinely did end up tumbling over several rows of seats if there was a goal against the Jambos or the like, only held upright by the throng of fans. Even when things weren't going great, it was still mental. Remember Chris Hogg leaping up onto the fence to remonstrate with some fans who had been giving the team stick. Happy times!

IWasThere2016
06-12-2021, 10:01 AM
Mowbrays by miles.

I agree .. best since 70s and we had so many of our own - and very good ones also :flag:

FilipinoHibs
06-12-2021, 10:07 AM
There is some grainy footage of that game on youtube, I was in the East terrace that day, sweltering hot and unbelievable atmosphere, oh for the return of those days again
In the cave that day. White hot electric atmosphere that day.

Note the singing of you will never walk alone, the pre Sunshine on Leith anthem.
https://youtu.be/Cj5CmjB9LaE

Pretty Boy
06-12-2021, 10:18 AM
Reading through this thread it seems a majority are selecting single games rather than an era. Using a bit of supposition that might suggest we have always had an issue generating an atmosphere in 'smaller' games regardless of era. Of course there will be times when it is easier to get it going, probably corresponding to us doing well on the park, and others when it is difficult.

I think most people have their era of football. The time they remember most fondly and that clouds their memories. For me it's the mid to late 90s through the early to mid 00s. Hardly a vintage time to be a Hibs fan, a mixed bag you could say, but I loved football then. Hibs home and away, Champions league on ITV midweek, training 3 times a week and playing twice at the weekend....... AEK Athens stands out, a full stand at Starks singing 'championees', trouncing Dundee 5-1, beating Falkirk to all but secure the league with Hibs fans in all 4 stands etc etc. It wasn't the reality though, I remember during the season we finished 3rd Alex McLeish bemoaning our crowds (average just over 10K and well down on the previous season) and asking fans to get behind the team. There were time under Williamson were under 8K was fairly common. I look back on it fondly because it was something of a zenith for me in terms of enjoying football. Now I watch Hibs and that's about it so it's easier to be weary about the whole thing.

I'd argue our most consistent time for atmosphere in my time supporting Hibs was from circa 2016-2018. Since1875 were at their best, crowds were high and there was a buzz about Hibs. There were still quiet days of course but there was a consistent hum about the ground. It's dire just now for a variety of reasons but probably not that far removed from the norm in the last 25-30 years.

BILLYHIBS
06-12-2021, 10:30 AM
January 1989 Ne Er Day Derby 27200 crammed into the East :greengrin

Eddie May with a trade mark late run into the box

1-0 to the Hibees

Limbs everywhere

Oh what fun it is to beat the Hearts on New Years Day

The last match I attended with my Dear Old Dad

I can still picture him getting swept away in a sea of green after the ball hit the pokey

Keith_M
06-12-2021, 10:41 AM
I vividly remember walking up towards Easter Road for the first game after they'd finally covered the East Terrace and hearing the noise of the fans from inside the stadium, about 15 minutes before the game had even started.

Both of those were a novelty: Fans arriving early to sing inside the east terrace, and being able to actually hear it from Montgomery St.

It might not sound much today but you had to be around in the times of 5k home crowds and around fifty fans trying to create some noise at the back of a giant, open east terrace to really appreciate the difference it made.