PDA

View Full Version : Aftershave

Lancs Harp
04-12-2021, 08:26 PM
We're all men of the 21st century :greengrin

Whats your fave aftershave then.

Paco Rabanne Invictus currently my flavour of the month. Red Rush YSL not bad either.

Hibs defeat my least favourite.

Must be some Brut fans on this site :greengrin

bigwheel
04-12-2021, 08:29 PM
At the moment Creed Aventus for everyday and for special occasions La Labo (matcha 26)

Although I tend to change fairly regularly …

Pete
04-12-2021, 08:56 PM
Wearing Calvin Klein eternity just now for everyday. Got it because I wore it back in the day but it smells a bit dated.

Got a bottle of Montblanc Individuel due to reviews but smells quite synthetic.

Can't see past 1million and 1million Lucky, and I'll be topping up at Christmas. These smells are associated with good memories which is maybe why I'm so fond of them.

I have it on good authority that the equivalent Hearts supporters thread has Tabac as their favourite.

Scouse Hibee
05-12-2021, 12:54 AM
John Paul Gaultier for me, nothing else.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2021, 07:47 AM
Paul Smith Extreme and Dior Sauvage for everyday.

Creed Green Irish Tweed for special occasions (and at £175 for 50ml, I mean special).

Bridge hibs
05-12-2021, 07:51 AM
John Paul Gaultier for me, nothing else.I had that and liked it, wore Aramis on my wedding day, another decent aftershave and when I was a young pup my go to (all I could afford at the time) was Insignia 🤣

Ps, can you still get Insignia ?

Pretty Boy
05-12-2021, 08:56 AM
Incidentally if anyone wants a cracking aftershave at a great price then I'd recommend Maurer & Wirtz 4711 Original. It dates from the 18th century and is one of the oldest traditional colognes still made.

About £15 a bottle and the smell lasts forever. It's not fashionable, it's timeless and classics are classics for a reason.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-12-2021, 09:38 AM
I still have a bottle of the original Shulton Old Spice with the blue stopper. It is magnificent. The M&S colognes are worth checking out for value and longevity. Have to say that Creed Green Irish Tweed is lovely. A little goes a long way so it isn't a splash it all over.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2021, 09:50 AM
I still have a bottle of the original Shulton Old Spice with the blue stopper. It is magnificent. The M&S colognes are worth checking out for value and longevity. Have to say that Creed Green Irish Tweed is lovely. A little goes a long way so it isn't a splash it all over.

M&S do one is an orange box that is great value for everyday wear. Name escapes me but I'm sure it's vaguely Italian.

I quite like Old Spice as well. It smells like grandads used to smell and there's nothing wrong with that imo.

matty_f
05-12-2021, 10:48 AM
I’m fortunate that my wife sells perfumes and after shaves (Essens, which are basically designer fragrances without the huge mark up) so I’ll switch between a few different ones. Currently going between Armani Acqua di Gio, Creed Aventus, Dior Sauvage, and One Million.
Happy to hook anyone up if you want to save a few bob on them!

sleeping giant
05-12-2021, 10:52 AM
I get more aftershaves as presents than i could possibly use.
Currently on my aftershave shelf , i have Jimmy Choo, Aramis,Barbour, Versace , Boss , Stronger with you , Paul Smith and Suavage.
Current favourites are Versace and Aramis.

silverhibee
05-12-2021, 11:25 AM
Paul Smith for me.

sleeping giant
05-12-2021, 12:13 PM
Paul Smith for me.

The green one ? 😀

easty
05-12-2021, 12:38 PM
I’m between Jo Malone Earl Grey & Cucumber, and Reiss Black Oudh at the moment. Love the smell of both.

Itsnoteasy
05-12-2021, 12:59 PM
I’m fortunate that my wife sells perfumes and after shaves (Essens, which are basically designer fragrances without the huge mark up) so I’ll switch between a few different ones. Currently going between Armani Acqua di Gio, Creed Aventus, Dior Sauvage, and One Million.

So how does it work? Tell you what brand you are looking for & the good lady matches that up to that particular one.

Itsnoteasy
05-12-2021, 01:01 PM
I get more aftershaves as presents than i could possibly use.
Currently on my aftershave shelf , i have Jimmy Choo, Aramis,Barbour, Versace , Boss , Stronger with you , Paul Smith and Suavage.
Current favourites are Versace and Aramis.

Guess your sock drawer & slipper rack are full.

sleeping giant
05-12-2021, 01:35 PM
Guess your sock drawer & slipper rack are full.

Have about 6 pairs of slippers 😂

patch1875
05-12-2021, 03:55 PM
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

silverhibee
05-12-2021, 05:35 PM
The green one ? 😀

In green box, Sunshine :greengrin

Alfiembra
05-12-2021, 11:38 PM
Musk Natural for me, never use the stuff, never have, never will. :offski:

Hibrandenburg
06-12-2021, 02:29 AM
Nothing like a bit of Brut to splash it all over.

Willis1875
06-12-2021, 04:08 PM
Chanel Allure Sport and Paco Rabanne Phantom at the moment

degenerated
06-12-2021, 06:15 PM
Pagan Man25341

Killiehibbie
06-12-2021, 07:55 PM
Whatever my boys get fed up of.

Frazerbob
06-12-2021, 08:12 PM

I also sell Essens stuff. It’s absolutely superb. Just sell it to pals and family so not for profit. Works out around £15 for 50mls. I find the quality and longevity better than the brands. My current favs are Allure Sport, which I’ve worn for years and usually cost £70 and Creed Silver Mountain Water, which would be over a ton a bottle.

Dalianwanda
06-12-2021, 08:13 PM
Dont really use them much these days but I do like Comm de Garcons Man or Miller Harris Etui Noir if Im doing something special

The_Exile
08-12-2021, 11:04 AM
Only really use two. Prada L'Homme and Tom Ford Neroli Portofino. Used to love YSL La Nuit de L'Homme but pretty sure they changed the recipe or something a few years back and it's nowhere near as good now.

On my bathroom shelf I've also got Armani Aqua di Gio, Bulgari Aqua Marine and John Varvatos Artisan Pure.

HH81
08-12-2021, 04:10 PM
Hugo boss orange round bottle.

Keeps the smell all day and the one that has brought the most luck.

09-12-2021, 10:19 PM
Boss Bottled and Boss Bottled Night.

LaMotta
09-12-2021, 10:28 PM

A timeless classic.

I’m between Jo Malone Earl Grey & Cucumber, and Reiss Black Oudh at the moment. Love the smell of both.

The Reiss one is majestic - I tried to buy recently in Reiss but they had none in stock.

Eccentric Mollecule 02 is my first choice. Not many people know about it and it always gets good comments.

FifeHibs
10-12-2021, 09:03 PM
Allbeauty.com usually has decent deals

.Sean.
11-12-2021, 12:07 PM
Currently Lacoste Blanc for everyday and Tom Ford Black Orchid for occasions

Liking Carolina Herrera Bad Boy too

easty
12-12-2021, 01:52 AM
A timeless classic.

The Reiss one is majestic - I tried to buy recently in Reiss but they had none in stock.

Eccentric Mollecule 02 is my first choice. Not many people know about it and it always gets good comments.

I’ve had mollecule before, cannae mine if it was 02 or if it’s a different one though. It’s great. As you say, not many folk have it, which is always a plus.

LaMotta
12-12-2021, 09:02 PM
I’ve had mollecule before, cannae mine if it was 02 or if it’s a different one though. It’s great. As you say, not many folk have it, which is always a plus.

Eccentric Molecule 01 is pretty amazing as well - that's the one that smells different on each person depending on how it reacts and the fragrance disappears and reappears over the course of the day.

Ronniekirk
12-12-2021, 09:12 PM

It’s always the one that people come up to me snd ask what it is as it’s a nice smell
I also like Black Code by Armani
And Chanel Allure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easty
12-12-2021, 09:55 PM
Eccentric Molecule 01 is pretty amazing as well - that's the one that smells different on each person depending on how it reacts and the fragrance disappears and reappears over the course of the day.

Aye, that’s the one I’ve had. Cheers

Lendo
17-12-2021, 04:40 PM
Really liked Dior Fahrenheit

Jakhog1
17-12-2021, 05:01 PM
Really liked Dior Fahrenheit

Thats a classic, its the one I used all the time when in my teens, I'm due a new aftershave and was thinking of getting that one again

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-12-2021, 06:02 PM
I liked Cerutti 1881 as a youngster, nae point in wearing any at the moment, face masks just become scented!

Keith_M
20-12-2021, 03:45 PM
Apparently Aramis was so good in the 1980s that you were in danger of being molested by Princess Di.

https://perfumesociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/SL24ADS_STORYTELLING_Aramis-758x1024.jpg

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-12-2021, 05:07 PM
Apparently Aramis was so good in the 1980s that you were in danger of being molested by Princess Di.

https://perfumesociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/SL24ADS_STORYTELLING_Aramis-758x1024.jpg

Only if you were Ted Danson when he was in Cheers

ErinGoBraghHFC
20-12-2021, 08:40 PM
Versace Eros. Has been that daily for about 5 years now, could probably do with a change though. Anyone know anything similar?

Pretty Boy
08-02-2022, 03:31 PM
Picked up a bottle of Halfeti from Penhaligons.

I got a sample after hearing good things and was stopped by 3 different people asking what it was when wearing it so invested in a bottle. Fairly pricey but it is very, very nice. It's unisex in theory but it's definitely more masculine imo.

RyeSloan
08-02-2022, 03:40 PM

I got a sample after hearing good things and was stopped by 3 different people asking what it was when wearing it so invested in a bottle. Fairly pricey but it is very, very nice. It's unisex in theory but it's definitely more masculine imo.

Fairly pricey as in £185 for 100ml fairly pricy? [emoji50]

Pretty Boy
08-02-2022, 05:09 PM

100ml will last an age though but definitely at, and some way over, the upper end of my usual budget.

When you consider some of the Creed fragrances mentioned earlier in the thread are £140+ for 50ml then is seems a wee bit better.

RyeSloan
08-02-2022, 08:46 PM
100ml will last an age though but definitely at, and some way over, the upper end of my usual budget.

When you consider some of the Creed fragrances mentioned earlier in the thread are £140+ for 50ml then is seems a wee bit better.

All things are relative I suppose [emoji2957]

Each to their own I suppose…but it reminds me of the convo I had with her indoors when she found out the cost of my nice new Driver in the golf bag…oh aye it wasn’t cheap darling but you should have seen how much more expensive the other one was that I could have bought [emoji12]

Oddly she was still less than impressed especially when I admitted it will probably make zero difference to my golf! At least you’ll benefit from smelling nice while I still hit that big slice into the rough.

Godsahibby
09-02-2022, 08:50 AM
I also sell Essens stuff. It’s absolutely superb. Just sell it to pals and family so not for profit. Works out around £15 for 50mls. I find the quality and longevity better than the brands. My current favs are Allure Sport, which I’ve worn for years and usually cost £70 and Creed Silver Mountain Water, which would be over a ton a bottle.

I've seen this Essens stuff on line but how can you tell which fragrance is similar? Big fan of Creed Silver Mountain Water but as you say at £150+ a bottle its not one I use a lot. if i could find similar at a fraction of the cost id be interested to test it out.

Scouse Hibee
09-02-2022, 09:31 AM

How much! Jeez that or anything near that price will never end up in my bathroom cabinet. I was spoilt for many years when I worked for Jenners by having 100ml tester bottles of virtually any brand I wanted, I still loathe paying full price for any after shave to this day.

Pretty Boy
09-02-2022, 09:59 AM
I've seen this Essens stuff on line but how can you tell which fragrance is similar? Big fan of Creed Silver Mountain Water but as you say at £150+ a bottle its not one I use a lot. if i could find similar at a fraction of the cost id be interested to test it out.

With the Creed aftershaves a lot of what you might call high street brands have similar fragrances.

Davidoff Cool Water isn't massively dissimilar to Green Irish Tweed at about a tenth of the price. For the Silver Mountain Water the Bvlgari pour Homme Soir has a lot of the same notes albeit nothing smells quite like SMW.

I've tried a few of the non branded copies from the likes of the Essence Vault and so on and I've got another one recommended that I need to order from to try. I find them quite hit or miss. Some of them smell very like the originals but don't last as long, others last ages but there isn't the same depth of fragrance and some are very good on both albeit you will pay a bit more than the cheaper copies for that.

I always like to have 1 or 2 really nice bottles for special occasions and as such they last ages. For day to day I mentioned above I use Maurer & Wirtz 4711 Original which is under £20 and is a classic. I also use Paul Smith Extreme which again doesn't break the £20 mark.

OldEast
09-02-2022, 10:18 AM
How much! Jeez that or anything near that price will never end up in my bathroom cabinet. I was spoilt for many years when I worked for Jenners by having 100ml tester bottles of virtually any brand I wanted, I still loathe paying full price for any after shave to this day.

Grow a beard and save a fortune on razors and smelly stuff. 👍🏻🤑

Frazerbob
09-02-2022, 02:00 PM

I’ll be putting in an order soon. Fire me a message if you want to try a bottle. I personally love it.

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 07:47 AM

I pinched Savoy Steam moisturiser by Penhaligons from the toilet of the Savoy in London when I was in their bar.

In my head it was like stealing a pint glass. I got home and seen it was £40 a bottle and realised I probably shouldn’t go back to the Savoy :greengrin

Smells outstanding though.

Godsahibby
10-02-2022, 08:22 AM
With the Creed aftershaves a lot of what you might call high street brands have similar fragrances.

Davidoff Cool Water isn't massively dissimilar to Green Irish Tweed at about a tenth of the price. For the Silver Mountain Water the Bvlgari pour Homme Soir has a lot of the same notes albeit nothing smells quite like SMW.

I've tried a few of the non branded copies from the likes of the Essence Vault and so on and I've got another one recommended that I need to order from to try. I find them quite hit or miss. Some of them smell very like the originals but don't last as long, others last ages but there isn't the same depth of fragrance and some are very good on both albeit you will pay a bit more than the cheaper copies for that.

I always like to have 1 or 2 really nice bottles for special occasions and as such they last ages. For day to day I mentioned above I use Maurer & Wirtz 4711 Original which is under £20 and is a classic. I also use Paul Smith Extreme which again doesn't break the £20 mark.

Thanks re the Bvlgari pour Homme, I will give that a try.

I am normally a big fan of Oud and really like the Tom Ford Oud and use the Bvlgari Man Wood which is very similar to it. The YSL M7 is also a stick on for Tom Ford Oud but only because he created that when he worked for them and its a fraction of the price.