PDA

View Full Version : So what is the rule when the ref gives a drop ball after an injury?

archie
03-12-2021, 12:07 PM
I noticed in the game against Rangers the ref gave Rangers a drop ball after one of their players was injured. Last night it was the same for Celtic. In both cases no foul had been committed. Is there a rule that covers this that I'm not aware of? I think Hearts had real reason to be aggrieved last night with that decision.

Hibbyradge
03-12-2021, 12:08 PM
The team in possession at the moment the game is stopped is given the ball back.

archie
03-12-2021, 12:11 PM
The team in possession at the moment the game is stopped is given the ball back.That's not what happened yesterday - Hearts were on a break.

green day
03-12-2021, 12:12 PM
That's not what happened yesterday - Hearts were on a break.

Maybe Jota had it before he hurt his leg?

BoomtownHibees
03-12-2021, 12:24 PM
That's not what happened yesterday - Hearts were on a break.

Hearts only had the ball because of Jota going down injured and the game was stopped due to the injury.

Not sure I agree with any of that happening however the same referee done it to us at ER when Magennis nicked the ball off an injured defender

03-12-2021, 12:26 PM
So who applies the rules better Scottish refs or English refs. The Jota call was bizarre to just stop the game, it wasn't a head injury and then De Gea injured by is own player and they let the game carry on and Arsenal score.

brog
03-12-2021, 01:14 PM
So who applies the rules better Scottish refs or English refs. The Jota call was bizarre to just stop the game, it wasn't a head injury and then De Gea injured by is own player and they let the game carry on and Arsenal score.

Every nation in the world has better refs than Scotland!

hibbysam
03-12-2021, 01:18 PM
Hearts only had the ball because of Jota going down injured and the game was stopped due to the injury.

Not sure I agree with any of that happening however the same referee done it to us at ER when Magennis nicked the ball off an injured defender

That’s not the rule though, at the time the game was stopped (the blow of the whistle) the last person to touch the ball was Haring. It’s then up to him what to do with it. He gets the ball uncontested (4m I think the gap needs to be). If he wants to give it to Celtics keeper he can, in that case he should have played on though as it’s a muscle injury.

lord bunberry
03-12-2021, 01:21 PM
Maybe Jota had it before he hurt his leg?
That’s not when the game was stopped though, it was the same when Kent was down injured. Both times the referee gave the ball back to the opposite team despite them not being in possession of the ball when the game was stopped. There seems to be a lot of anomalies in the new rules, I was watching a Man Utd game the other week and ronaldo was miles offside, the linesman waited before putting the flag up, the ball was miscontrolled and went out for a corner despite ronaldo being miles offside.

brog
03-12-2021, 03:44 PM
That’s not when the game was stopped though, it was the same when Kent was down injured. Both times the referee gave the ball back to the opposite team despite them not being in possession of the ball when the game was stopped. There seems to be a lot of anomalies in the new rules, I was watching a Man Utd game the other week and ronaldo was miles offside, the linesman waited before putting the flag up, the ball was miscontrolled and went out for a corner despite ronaldo being miles offside.

I saw the Ronaldo incident, I think that was just an error. I suspect if Man U had scored from the corner then it would have been ruled out by VAR.

hibbysam
03-12-2021, 04:46 PM
I saw the Ronaldo incident, I think that was just an error. I suspect if Man U had scored from the corner then it would have been ruled out by VAR.

Which I said at the time was daft. Had the scored direct from the pass it would’ve been ruled out by VAR, but had they scored a header from the corner VAR couldn’t intervene 😂 it’s all crazy!