02-12-2021, 08:56 PM
What happened?

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/club-statement-joe-newell

Drink driving

Just_Jimmy
02-12-2021, 08:57 PM
Three times over the limit.

Total prick.

Might seem strong but nah, it's selfish as it comes.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

hibee
02-12-2021, 08:59 PM
What happened?

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/club-statement-joe-newell

Banned for a year for drink driving.

MrSmith
02-12-2021, 09:00 PM
What a daftie! Luckily, doesn’t seem like any one was hurt.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2021, 09:00 PM
Good statement from Hibs - except for the use of upmost!

LaMotta
02-12-2021, 09:53 PM
Good statement from Hibs - except for the use of upmost!

The first sentence doesn't make sense either:cb

hibsbollah
02-12-2021, 10:07 PM
The first three sentences look like they’re written by someone who doesn’t have English as a first language. It’s just weird.

tamig
02-12-2021, 10:09 PM
The first three sentences look like they’re written by someone who doesn’t have English as a first language. It’s just weird.

It’s something I’d expect from Budge.

Nicho87
02-12-2021, 10:12 PM
Hibs player or hearts player it’s nothing related to football

One of the most selfish acts is drink driving

Should never be allowed behind the wheel of a car again. IMO

LaMotta
02-12-2021, 10:16 PM

It’s something I’d expect from Budge.

Very strange :agree:

SMAXXA
02-12-2021, 10:25 PM
Hibs player or hearts player it’s nothing related to football

One of the most selfish acts is drink driving

Should never be allowed behind the wheel of a car again. IMO

There is such a thing as rehabilitation you know?

Viva_Palmeiras
03-12-2021, 06:16 AM
What is it with some people / football players?

How many Hibs players in the last 10 years - there’s been a few.

players have a choice but if they Choose to be athletes then getting hammered during the season is at odds with that no?

tamig
03-12-2021, 06:19 AM

players have a choice but if they Choose to be athletes then getting hammered during the season is at odds with that no?
Was he “hammered” then?

LaMotta
03-12-2021, 07:36 AM

Drink driving is clearly unnacceptable behaviour.

Getting "hammered" during the season? Don't neccessarily have a problem with it every now and again. Some players can handle it and as long as a player keeps performing well then it doesnt have to be a major issue.

Half the Hibs team was out getting "hammered" in the midweek before we humped Hearts 6-2, our biggest home derby win in decades. Some good team building that night contributing to the performance on the Sunday.

Saw a current player knocking them back in an Edinburgh bar the Saturday before our LC Q final win at Tannadice this season. He was tremendous up at Tannadice.

Players don't have to be robots.

hibbysam
03-12-2021, 07:45 AM
Drink driving is clearly unnacceptable behaviour.

Getting "hammered" during the season? Don't neccessarily have a problem with it every now and again. Some players can handle it and as long as a player keeps performing well then it doesnt have to be a major issue.

Half the Hibs team was out getting "hammered" in the midweek before we humped Hearts 6-2, our biggest home derby win in decades. Some good team building that night contributing to the performance on the Sunday.

Saw a current player knocking them back in an Edinburgh bar the Saturday before our LC Q final win at Tannadice this season. He was tremendous up at Tannadice.

Players don't have to be robots.

3x the drink drive limit isn’t ‘hammered’ either (it’s not right either btw before anyone says) - but the DD laws here are next to nothing, a lot lower than England for example. He’d probably had 3/4 pints and then jumped in the motor.

Also - it’s not just footballers, it’s society as a whole. Thousands every year get done with DD and it’s wrong. The punishment should be harsher for me. 9 months licence loss isn’t enough IMO, should be a few years.

BoomtownHibees
03-12-2021, 07:47 AM

Doubtful he was hammered after 3 or 4 pints

Zambernardi1875
03-12-2021, 08:03 AM
Don’t understand players who drink during the season

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2021, 08:05 AM

Agreed. It's ridiculous to put that crap in your body when you need to be at peak fitness. Top level athletes don't do that crap

CentreLine
03-12-2021, 08:36 AM
4 units of alcohol in two pints of beer. Generally speaking it takes one hour for the body to process one unit of alcohol.
These days that is more than double our drink drive limit whereas it was unlikely to have you over the limit in the past, depending on factors like body mass, what you’d eaten and so on. Unlikely he had more than two and a half to three pints to be 3x the limit. It’s wrong but is also wrong for anyone to suggest he was hammered.

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2021, 08:40 AM
4 units of alcohol in two pints of beer. Generally speaking it takes one hour for the body to process one unit of alcohol.
These days that is more than double our drink drive limit whereas it was unlikely to have you over the limit in the past. Depending on factors like body mass, what you’d eaten and so on. Unlikely he had more than two and a half to three pints to be 3x the limit. It’s wrong but is also wrong for anyone to suggest he was hammered.

The fact he was driving slow rather than driving normally suggests to me he had consumed more.

CentreLine
03-12-2021, 08:41 AM
The fact he was driving slow rather than driving normally suggests to me he had consumed more.

Yes it’s possible but the reported level he was found to have in his system suggests not much more if at all. The guy is utterly wrong to have been behind the wheel but in no way was he hammered. He could have been drinking a lot more but over a number of hours. That would allow some of the alcohol in his system to have been processed out by his body. There is not enough information in the reports to allow us to make a judgement call on that.

Since452
03-12-2021, 08:44 AM
I'm annoyed at our player being on the sauce during the season in the first place. It's not the 90's anymore.

hibbysam
03-12-2021, 08:47 AM

It tells me he knows he shouldn’t have been driving so (in a daft way) was trying to avoid being pulled over by driving slow rather than fast. My thinking is ‘I’ll only get pulled for speeding’ - but his slow driving worked against him and that also got him pulled.

CentreLine
03-12-2021, 08:48 AM
I'm annoyed at our player being on the sauce during the season in the first place. It's not the 90's anymore.

Agreed. But football players have a huge amount of down time and there are no end of stories of how that is too often filled with “social activities”.

Bottom line is it has been dealt with by the court and by the club. If Joe Newell has take that on board then the matter is closed

lyonhibs
03-12-2021, 08:50 AM
Silly selfish ********. At least he only harmed himself on this occasion, but I have absolutely no time for drink driving at all.

Iggy Pope
03-12-2021, 09:20 AM
The police dealt with it, the courts have dealt with it, his employers have dealt with it.
I’m sure he feels like **** enough without his habitat, tendencies, athleticism and behaviour being debated publicly by the experts on our chat group.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2021, 09:24 AM
The police dealt with it, the courts have dealt with it, his employers have dealt with it.
I’m sure he feels like **** enough without his habitat, tendencies, athleticism and behaviour being debated publicly by the experts on our chat group.

Oh good, it's the forum police.

CentreLine
03-12-2021, 09:25 AM

But he does have a point

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2021, 09:29 AM
But he does have a point

It's not his job to decide what can and cannot be debated on here. One of our players made the papers for commiting a serious offence. Of course its going to be talked about on here. He's rightfully getting a bit of stick, hell be getting worse off of those around him. I still think he's a great player.

03-12-2021, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=Iggy Pope;6767677]The police dealt with it, the courts have dealt with it, his employers have dealt with it.
I’m sure he feels like **** enough without his habitat, tendencies, athleticism and behaviour being debated publicly by the experts on our chat group.[/QUOTE

Thought he played well on Wednesday before knowing all this news broke. He did play well considering the time he'd had. Been one of our better players this season. Time to move on and put it behind him. He doesn't need his own fans slating him. He's a grown man and will know what a mistake it was.

Jim44
03-12-2021, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=Iggy Pope;6767677]The police dealt with it, the courts have dealt with it, his employers have dealt with it.
I’m sure he feels like **** enough without his habitat, tendencies, athleticism and behaviour being debated publicly by the experts on our chat group.[/QUOTE

Thought he played well on Wednesday before knowing all this news broke. He did play well considering the time he'd had. Been one of our better players this season. Time to move on and put it behind him. He doesn't need his own fans slating him. He's a grown man and will know what a mistake it was.

For once, I agree with you 100%. :greengrin

easty
03-12-2021, 09:41 AM

I agree with this, but the bit in bold is a bit rich coming from you, no? Maybe I'm getting mixed up with some other poster, but haven't you regularly slated Ross, Nisbet, Hanlon and Stevenson?

WeeRussell
03-12-2021, 09:42 AM
I’m not having the idea that players shouldn’t touch beer at all during the season argument one bit.

But that doesn’t take away from how stupid Joe Newell has been and the fact he deserves his punishment and the stick he’s got on here too.

03-12-2021, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=90274;6767697]

I agree with this, but the bit in bold is a bit rich coming from you, no? Maybe I'm getting mixed up with some other poster, but haven't you regularly slated Ross, Nisbet, Hanlon and Stevenson?

Regarding Ross, Nisbet, Hanlon and Stevenson that is correct and there have been multiple threads covering those discussions and opinions. This thread is regarding Joe Newell so please keep it on track.

Newell is a very important player for us this season and hopefully this will make him a stronger person.

easty
03-12-2021, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=easty;6767707]

Regarding Ross, Nisbet, Hanlon and Stevenson that is correct and there have been multiple threads covering those discussions and opinions. This thread is regarding Joe Newell so please keep it on track.

Newell is a very important player for us this season and hopefully this will make him a stronger person.

So, it's more a case of the players that you like don't need their own fans slating them...the others are fair game? Cool :aok:

03-12-2021, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=90274;6767712]

So, it's more a case of the players that you like don't need their own fans slating them...the others are fair game? Cool :aok: It's not the case of liking certain players, a fact is a fact.
Like I said, Newell has been one of our better players this season and is an important player for us.

easty
03-12-2021, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=easty;6767716] It's not the case of liking certain players, a fact is a fact.
Like I said, Newell has been one of our better players this season and is an important player for us.

:rolleyes: :aok:

GRA
03-12-2021, 10:21 AM
Proper b&llend for drink driving. Simply no excuse to do that under any circumstances.

That said he's been punished by the courts and by the club so that statement should draw a line under it now.

A joy to watch when on form so hoping it doesn't impact his performances from this point onwards.

FilipinoHibs
03-12-2021, 10:35 AM
I’m not having the idea that players shouldn’t touch beer at all during the season argument one bit.

But that doesn’t take away from how stupid Joe Newell has been and the fact he deserves his punishment and the stick he’s got on here too.

Even one drink a week will impact your physical and mental performance. It's a no no during the season for most top sports people. Our attitude to alcohol is one reason we have lagged further and further behind other nations. Throw in diet and sports science and practice as well. Thankfully we are turning the corner. Having players in the EPL is rubbing off on our game. Careers are short. Plenty of time for enjoying life once you stop playing. The Murrays good role models.

Since90+2
03-12-2021, 10:40 AM
Even one drink a week will impact your physical and mental performance. It's a no no during the season for most top sports people. Our attitude to alcohol is one reason we have lagged further and further behind other nations. Throw in diet and sports science and practice as well. Thankfully we are turning the corner. Having players in the EPL is rubbing off on our game. Careers are short. Plenty of time for enjoying life once you stop playing. The Murrays good role models.

One drink a week wouldn't make any noticeable difference to an athlete's performance. That's on the basis that one drink is a bottle of beer/glass of wine rather than a bottle of vodka.

I'd be very surprised if the Spanish/French/Italian players don't have the odd glass of wine with their dinner.

03-12-2021, 10:42 AM
One drink a week wouldn't make any noticeable difference to an athlete's performance. That's on the basis that one drink is a bottle of beer/glass of wine rather than a bottle of vodka.

I'd be very surprised if the Spanish/French/Italian players don't have the odd glass of wine with their dinner.

Look at how good Arsenal were in the late 80s and early 90s with their Tuesday 12 pint club.

Since90+2
03-12-2021, 10:52 AM
Look at how good Arsenal were in the late 80s and early 90s with their Tuesday 12 pint club.

To be fair I think every club was at it back then.

Players won't be out getting wrecked every weekend but a glass of wine once week is not going to impact their performance.

Iggy Pope
03-12-2021, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=90274;6767697]

For once, I agree with you 100%. :greengrin

Just the once? ��

Iggy Pope
03-12-2021, 11:09 AM
It's not his job to decide what can and cannot be debated on here. One of our players made the papers for commiting a serious offence. Of course its going to be talked about on here. He's rightfully getting a bit of stick, hell be getting worse off of those around him. I still think he's a great player.

What a childish retort, I would have expected better from you. My job isn’t Hibs.net of course it’s not but I’ll continue to use it and pay towards its upkeep if they’ll allow it.

Iggy Pope
03-12-2021, 11:12 AM

And only last week I was getting told not to read threads “I didn’t like”.
This week I’m not supposed to have an opinion on one.

Tenner well spent.

Pretty Boy
03-12-2021, 11:55 AM
I don't think anyone would condone drink driving under any circumstances. Getting behind the wheel to drive home after 2 pints might be a different kettle of fish from downing a bottle of vodka and careering about the streets but it's still irresponsible and illegal. Incidentally I don't think 'it was only be 3 or 4 pints so he would hardly be hammered' is any kind of mitigation. I like a drink as much as anyone and can put it away when the chance allows. I certainly wouldn't be pished after 4 pints but I'd feel it and I have no doubt it impairs my judgement and behaviour at that stage.

However people make mistakes and they deserve the chance to learn from them. Joe Newell has been fortunate that on this occasion his actions have impacted no one other than himself. If anyone on here has never done anything stupid, irresponsible or downright dangerous in their life then I applaud you because you are a better person than me. He made a serious mistake, he has been dealt with both by the courts and his employer and if he has any brains at all he will never do it again. Time to move on.

hibbysam
03-12-2021, 12:01 PM
I don't think anyone would condone drink driving under any circumstances. Getting behind the wheel to drive home after 2 pints might be a different kettle of fish from downing a bottle of vodka and careering about the streets but it's still irresponsible and illegal. Incidentally I don't think 'it was only be 3 or 4 pints so he would hardly be hammered' is any kind of mitigation. I like a drink as much as anyone and can put it away when the chance allows. I certainly wouldn't be pished after 4 pints but I'd feel it and I have no doubt it impairs my judgement and behaviour at that stage.

However people make mistakes and they deserve the chance to learn from them. Joe Newell has been fortunate that on this occasion his actions have impacted no one other than himself. If anyone on here has never done anything stupid, irresponsible or downright dangerous in their life then I applaud you because you are a better person than me. He made a serious mistake, he has been dealt with both by the courts and his employer and if he has any brains at all he will never do it again. Time to move on.

That was along the lines of my comment and in no way was it meant to be mitigation - it was in response to someone saying he was hammered as he was 3x the legal limit. I agree with the limit being so low, and think there should be a stronger punishment as a deterrent - however a couple of pints would likely see you twice the limit these days so there is a difference.

mcohibs
03-12-2021, 12:06 PM

Having a beer or glass of wine once a week might just be a great way for players to unwind midweek tbh and from a mental health perspective could probably be a positive thing

Obviously that's different to what Newell's done here but I don't buy that the odd drink has a noticeable athletic impact or that everyone playing the the EPL is absolutely teetotal

BoomtownHibees
03-12-2021, 12:14 PM
It was the Saturday night the original Ross County call-off so had probably just been told he had a week off so don’t see the issue with him having a few pints. Jumping in the car after it is the problem

Since452
03-12-2021, 12:15 PM

They would be hammered by Southampton no pint club now though. Football has changed. Footballers at the top level are thoroughbred athletes these days.

Pretty Boy
03-12-2021, 12:17 PM
That was along the lines of my comment and in no way was it meant to be mitigation - it was in response to someone saying he was hammered as he was 3x the legal limit. I agree with the limit being so low, and think there should be a stronger punishment as a deterrent - however a couple of pints would likely see you twice the limit these days so there is a difference.

I know. I mentioned on another thread that the media like to sensationalise the headlines around these things.

I just think it needs to be remembered that a couple of pints is still enough to impair the ability to do some pretty basic tasks.

jacomo
03-12-2021, 12:58 PM
Having a beer or glass of wine once a week might just be a great way for players to unwind midweek tbh and from a mental health perspective could probably be a positive thing

Obviously that's different to what Newell's done here but I don't buy that the odd drink has a noticeable athletic impact or that everyone playing the the EPL is absolutely teetotal

The science would tell you that professional sports people shouldn’t put anything in their bodies unless it’s of nutritional value.

Any alcohol can impair performance and recovery time - in small amounts, this is probably a very small effect, but it still won’t be positive.

I get that footballers are human and I’m not particularly judgmental about this. But if you want to absolutely maximise your potential, a tee total, vegan, bed by 10pm lifestyle is your friend.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2021, 01:03 PM
The science would tell you that professional sports people shouldn’t put anything in their bodies unless it’s of nutritional value.

Any alcohol can impair performance and recovery time - in small amounts, this is probably a very small effect, but it still won’t be positive.

I get that footballers are human and I’m not particularly judgmental about this. But if you want to absolutely maximise your potential, a tee total, vegan, bed by 10pm lifestyle is your friend.

Vegan is debatable. I might be wrong but I think some athletes have said they found it made them very sluggish

hibsbollah
03-12-2021, 01:40 PM
Vegan is debatable. I might be wrong but I think some athletes have said they found it made them very sluggish

In terms of increased stamina, i dont think it is debateable, any sporting activity that takes over 60 minutes will benefit from switching to a vegan diet. Widening of arteries leading to blood being pumped more effectively from the heart. As long as that diet is balanced with the right nutrients, ie-you cant just eat crackers and rice. Lots of studies on this topic particularly from US universities, easy to find.

jeffers
03-12-2021, 01:49 PM
In terms of increased stamina, i dont think it is debateable, any sporting activity that takes over 60 minutes will benefit from switching to a vegan diet. Widening of arteries leading to blood being pumped more effectively from the heart. As long as that diet is balanced with the right nutrients, ie-you cant just eat crackers and rice. Lots of studies on this topic particularly from US universities, easy to find.

I watched the Game Changers on Netflix, really fascinating insight into the benefits of athletes switching to a vegan diet. I tried it for a while but I like bacon too much :greengrin

Pretty Boy
03-12-2021, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has watched the documentary about Eliud Kipchoge in the lead up to his sub 2 hour marathon attempt.

His diet was studied and monitored extensively in the lead up. Whilst there were small changes made a number of people commented that what he ate anyway was almost perfect for what he was doing. There was no obsessing about macros, supplements, protein shakes etc. They ate ugali, a cornmeal made with water, managu, a vegetable a bit like spinach, cabbage, various beans, rice, flat bread (that was substituted for white bread after the weekend long run), eggs and potatoes. Snack were primarily bananas and a porridge type drink was always shared in the evening. Protein intake was low (a big diversion from the western protein obsession) and meat consumption was almost non existent. The only real treat was milky tea with sugar. Sports drinks, recovery powders etc just did not enter their thinking during training although were used in races for a quick hit and alcohol was strictly off limits.

For many of the athletes that was bit of a necessity. It's cheap and plentiful food and many of these guys don't make a huge amount of money. Kipchoge himself is one of the greatest athletes of all time but earns significantly less from his Nike deal than Galen Rupp, a fine athlete but not in the same league. He's far from poor but he lives and works with people who are. He could afford to switch from the lifestyle that nurtured his success but chooses not to.

I think the point is that the developed world is in a position to over think these things and boil it down to granular detail. For others it's often dictated by necessity and good old common sense. Eating a starchy vegetable that fills you up = good, downing 3 pints a couple of times a week = bad.

CentreLine
03-12-2021, 01:57 PM

I agree but it’s still a fair point. I’ve made a number of post as on this thread but still acknowledge it’s a very fair point the poster makes.

CentreLine
03-12-2021, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has watched the documentary about Eliud Kipchoge in the lead up to his sub 2 hour marathon attempt.

His diet was studied and monitored extensively in the lead up. Whilst there were small changes made a number of people commented that what he ate anyway was almost perfect for what he was doing. There was no obsessing about macros, supplements, protein shakes etc. They ate ugali, a cornmeal made with water, managu, a vegetable a bit like spinach, cabbage, various beans, rice, flat bread (that was substituted for white bread after the weekend long run), eggs and potatoes. Snack were primarily bananas and a porridge type drink was always shared in the evening. Protein intake was low (a big diversion from the western protein obsession) and meat consumption was almost non existent. The only real treat was milky tea with sugar. Sports drinks, recovery powders etc just did not enter their thinking during training although were used in races for a quick hit and alcohol was strictly off limits.

For many of the athletes that was bit of a necessity. It's cheap and plentiful food and many of these guys don't make a huge amount of money. Kipchoge himself is one of the greatest athletes of all time but earns significantly less from his Nike deal than Galen Rupp, a fine athlete but not in the same league. He's far from poor but he lives and works with people who are. He could afford to switch from the lifestyle that nurtured his success but chooses not to.

I think the point is that the developed world is in a position to over think these things and boil it down to granular detail. For others it's often dictated by necessity and good old common sense. Eating a starchy vegetable that fills you up = good, downing 3 pints a couple of times a week = bad.

Aye but lots of us were brought up on Alf Tupper and Bernard Briggs. What about their diets?

Percy Vere
03-12-2021, 02:10 PM
3x the drink drive limit isn’t ‘hammered’ either (it’s not right either btw before anyone says) - but the DD laws here are next to nothing, a lot lower than England for example. He’d probably had 3/4 pints and then jumped in the motor.

Also - it’s not just footballers, it’s society as a whole. Thousands every year get done with DD and it’s wrong. The punishment should be harsher for me. 9 months licence loss isn’t enough IMO, should be a few years.

Like you said he won’t have been hammered. But three or four pints def reduces your cognitive ability and therefore shouldn’t be in cintrol of a vehicle.
But a few months ban and a fine is sufficient as luckily no one was hurt.
Chance to reflect and never do it again.
Longer bans and fines should kick in for subsequent offences.

hibbysam
03-12-2021, 04:42 PM
Like you said he won’t have been hammered. But three or four pints def reduces your cognitive ability and therefore shouldn’t be in cintrol of a vehicle.
But a few months ban and a fine is sufficient as luckily no one was hurt.
Chance to reflect and never do it again.
Longer bans and fines should kick in for subsequent offences.

The key word in your post ‘luckily’. Luck shouldn’t come into it, as you say his senses would have deteriorated with the drink, and as soon as you are over the limit there should be a harsh punishment. 9 months is nowhere near long enough for me to deter people from doing it. If you know you won’t be able to drive for 3+ years then it may make you think twice about doing it, second time should just be a lifetime ban.

LunasBoots
03-12-2021, 04:47 PM
There is such a thing as rehabilitation you know?

Yup been dealt with. Hibs and player will now want to move forward, sadly some people think its the end of the world and you cant move forward after committing a crime, society problem.

hibsbollah
03-12-2021, 05:23 PM
I watched the Game Changers on Netflix, really fascinating insight into the benefits of athletes switching to a vegan diet. I tried it for a while but I like bacon too much :greengrin

Exactly the same here :Awright!: brief flirtations with vegan and vegetarian diet went down the crapper at the smell of a crispy bacon roll wafting through from the kitchen...

Those poor followers of Islam and Judaism, how they manage without it i have no idea.

bigwheel
03-12-2021, 05:34 PM
Exactly the same here :Awright!: brief flirtations with vegan and vegetarian diet went down the crapper at the smell of a crispy bacon roll wafting through from the kitchen...

Those poor followers of Islam and Judaism, how they manage without it i have no idea.

Not had meat for almost three years now - after long being a committed carnivore ..still eat fish, but surprisingly don’t miss bacon at all.

Iggy Pope
03-12-2021, 05:38 PM
Not had meat for almost three years now - after long being a committed carnivore ..still eat fish, but surprisingly don’t miss bacon at all.

Mary Berry was on at the weekend with a Jewish fellah who was doing smoked meat with a kosher bacon substitute. She seemed to like it.
Probably not that interesting but the thread’s taken a nicer turn hasn’t it?

bigwheel
03-12-2021, 05:39 PM
Mary Berry was on at the weekend with a Jewish fellah who was doing smoked meat with a kosher bacon substitute. She seemed to like it.
Probably not that interesting but the thread’s taken a nicer turn hasn’t it?

[emoji3]. It certainly has

Peanut Shaz
03-12-2021, 07:13 PM
The key word in your post ‘luckily’. Luck shouldn’t come into it, as you say his senses would have deteriorated with the drink, and as soon as you are over the limit there should be a harsh punishment. 9 months is nowhere near long enough for me to deter people from doing it. If you know you won’t be able to drive for 3+ years then it may make you think twice about doing it, second time should just be a lifetime ban.

I would disagree with some of your post. One of my family was caught over the limit the morning after. Got a £400 fine and 12 months ban. Did the rehab course and got her licence back after 9. She definitely won't ever
Do it again. She absolutely learned a harsh lesson and has been deterred for life if ever taking any risk in the future. Rehab does work for some.

Smartie
03-12-2021, 07:33 PM
I would disagree with some of your post. One of my family was caught over the limit the morning after. Got a £400 fine and 12 months ban. Did the rehab course and got her licence back after 9. She definitely won't ever
Do it again. She absolutely learned a harsh lesson and has been deterred for life if ever taking any risk in the future. Rehab does work for some.

I’ve always been vehemently anti drink drive but it’s the morning / afternoon / evening after that would be the only thing that could potentially catch me out.

When the limit was lowered in Scotland my brother was a journalist at a paper here. They did an experiment where they got various people of different shapes, sizes, gender, drinking experience etc - and measured how long it took for them to process various skinfuls of alcohol and be safe to drive again.

He said that it was actually quite startling how long it might take - and whilst being vehemently anti drink drive and quite judgmental about those who choose to do it, that in all likelihood we’ve both done it multiple times the day after a sesh.

I seldom drink any more (or drive for that matter) so it’s not really an issue - but these days I think you have to be very careful.

Peanut Shaz
03-12-2021, 07:44 PM
I’ve always been vehemently anti drink drive but it’s the morning / afternoon / evening after that would be the only thing that could potentially catch me out.

When the limit was lowered in Scotland my brother was a journalist at a paper here. They did an experiment where they got various people of different shapes, sizes, gender, drinking experience etc - and measured how long it took for them to process various skinfuls of alcohol and be safe to drive again.

He said that it was actually quite startling how long it might take - and whilst being vehemently anti drink drive and quite judgmental about those who choose to do it, that in all likelihood we’ve both done it multiple times the day after a sesh.

I seldom drink any more (or drive for that matter) so it’s not really an issue - but these days I think you have to be very careful.

Absolutely. She got home about 9pm, had a coffee and sat and chatted to her flatmate who gave a statement to the police that she did not think my family member was drunk or incapable. She went to bed about 10 and slept right through till 6. Got up, had a shower breakfast and said she felt absolutely fine. No doubt in her mind that she would be over the limit. Didn't deliberately take a chance, genuinely thought she was fine. So easily done.

LaMotta
03-12-2021, 10:29 PM
Agreed. It's ridiculous to put that crap in your body when you need to be at peak fitness. Top level athletes don't do that crap

Unbelievable naivety for anyone to think that. Just ask Usain Bolt, one of the greatest athletes of all time.:wink:

LaMotta
03-12-2021, 10:31 PM

Probably for the majority - but not necessarily for everyone.

LaMotta
03-12-2021, 10:53 PM

You fail to understand humans then.

Pretty Boy
04-12-2021, 06:48 AM
Unbelievable naivety for anyone to think that. Just ask Usain Bolt, one of the greatest athletes of all time.:wink:

If you're referring to the chicken nuggets then you are believing a myth.

Bolt was a bit lazy with his diet in his youth. Once he got a proper coach and had target weights explained to him he became as regimented as any other world class athlete.

It was often grudging but he ate exceptionally well.

bigwheel
04-12-2021, 07:06 AM

I knew a British athlete . A good one, but not a great one….400M runner…made the Olympic, commonwealth etc team a couple of times….but mainly got in at relay team level…

He had two to three weeks off a year from full on training and his no alcohol, no junk food diet. That is all. Never flinched from it. He loved a MCDs meal but could only have it during that time off, and even then only a couple. The diet of both him as his training buddies was perfect. All supported by each other. Tbh, the way he spoke, it would have been seen as madness to do anything that naturally didn’t help your body be the best it could be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LaMotta
04-12-2021, 07:19 AM
If you're referring to the chicken nuggets then you are believing a myth.

Bolt was a bit lazy with his diet in his youth. Once he got a proper coach and had target weights explained to him he became as regimented as any other world class athlete.

It was often grudging but he ate exceptionally well.

No mate not aware of any chicken nugget myths, was referring to the fact that Bolt drank alcohol on various occasions when he was a top athlete.

Other top athletes who put that "crap" in their bodies include Neymar, Messi, and the original Ronaldo. I know Messi cut it out latterly but he was drinking in his early to mid 20's.

LaMotta
04-12-2021, 07:36 AM
I knew a British athlete . A good one, but not a great one….400M runner…made the Olympic, commonwealth etc team a couple of times….but mainly got in at relay team level…

He had two to three weeks off a year from full on training and his no alcohol, no junk food diet. That is all. Never flinched from it. He loved a MCDs meal but could only have it during that time off, and even then only a couple. The diet of both him as his training buddies was perfect. All supported by each other. Tbh, the way he spoke, it would have been seen as madness to do anything that naturally didn’t help your body be the best it could be.

That worked for him and I agree its maybe best for a lot of people. I'm just pointing out that it isn't like that for everyone, nor does it have to be for some.

Some studies have shown that regular alcohol consumption has cardio benefits, help the immune system and increase creativity in people.
https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/8-ways-drink-athlete/

Russell Latapy was one of the greatest footballers I've seen at Easter Road. He could also be found perusing the bars of Edinburgh several nights a week during his time here knocking back rums and smoking fags.:cb

hibee-boys
04-12-2021, 07:38 AM
Drink driving in inexcusable, no debate on that. However, it’s easy for us to pass judgment on players having the occasional drink, there’s clearly a big difference between a few pints during time off to habitual drinking which impacts on your training/performance. Players are monitored during every session/game these days, the club will be able to identify clearly who’s lifestyle is impacting on fitness. Joe will know how’s this reflects on him and the club so I’ve zero doubt that there’ll be no reoccurrence, we all make mistakes, I hope he channels that guilt onto the football pitch as we need him on top form. I’m thought he was one of the man of the match contenders against Rangers.

bigwheel
04-12-2021, 07:46 AM
That worked for him and I agree its maybe best for a lot of people. I'm just pointing out that it isn't like that for everyone, nor does it have to be for some.

Some studies have shown that regular alcohol consumption has cardio benefits, help the immune system and increase creativity in people.

Russell Latapy was one of the greatest footballers I've seen at Easter Road. He could also be found perusing the bars of Edinburgh several nights a week during his time here knocking back rums and smoking fags.:cb

Latapy was almost 20 years ago….time has changed. He was an exception even at the time…there are always those. I’m a Newall fan , if he was anywhere near Latapy standard, he would be incredible. He will be , I suspect, really disappointed in himself. On his diet, A few beers occasionally I’m sure would be oK. The fact is footballers don’t often have the same nutritional discipline that other elite athletes have. It can’t do them any good .

Keith_M
04-12-2021, 07:47 AM
I'm sitting drinking coffee and eating Jaffa cakes.

Does that mean my Olympic marathon ambitions are pointless?

bigwheel
04-12-2021, 07:50 AM

Not if you can get the coffee/ Jaffa cake biathlon into the mix……

LaMotta
04-12-2021, 08:04 AM
Latapy was almost 20 years ago….time has changed. He was an exception even at the time…there are always those. I’m a Newall fan , if he was anywhere near Latapy standard, he would be incredible. He will be , I suspect, really disappointed in himself. On his diet, A few beers occasionally I’m sure would be oK. The fact is footballers don’t often have the same nutritional discipline that other elite athletes have. It can’t do them any good .

I've just posted a link which refrences studies that show it might do them some good though.

Latapy wasn't really the exception at the time though. Mixu, Matthias Jack, Brewster - all liked a drink. Once saw Mixu spew up on the candy bar floor on a team night out.

As I said earlier one of our most influential players at Tannadice was hammered the Sat before the game. It still happens. I would guess that footballers who abstain from alcohol are in the minority.

Other elite athletes? Like Olympians? Plenty of reports of alcohol drinking going on every four years by athletes in Olympic villages.

There's actually a link between fitter people and the desire to drink more. The type of personality that craves the excitement and highs of sporting success is likely to also crave a similar type of buzz from alcohol.https://www.bicycling.com/health-nutrition/a37910249/athletes-tend-to-drink-more-than-their-peers-study-explained/⁹

bigwheel
04-12-2021, 08:11 AM
I've just posted a link which refrencences studies that show it might do them some good though.

Latapy wasn't really the exception at the time though. Mixu, Matthias Jack, Brewster - all liked a drink. Once saw Mixu spew up on the candy bar floor on a team night out.

As I said earlier one of our most influential players at Tannadice was hammered the Sat before the game. It still happens. I would guess that footballers who abstain from alcohol are in the minority.

Other elite athletes? Like Olympians? Plenty of reports of alcohol drinking going on every four years by athletes in Olympic villages.

There's actually a link between fitter people and the desire to drink more. The type of personality that craves the excitement and highs of sporting success is likely to also crave a similar type of buzz from alcohol.

Football in Scotland is well off the norm on this….so your examples of exceptions are of no surprise. And examples of players being steaming, is not really backing up your points. Loads of footballers still get steaming..it’s not recommended.

Just because someone was hammered and then played well, does not make it good for them.

If you are suggesting Olympian athletes regularly use alcohol during their preparations, then I would say that is almost exclusively not true. Most elite athletes have taken alcohol out of their diet. Many footballers too. Whilst moderate alcohol would not be a major issue, it has zero nutritional value, perhaps except red wine…which is rarely the footballers drink of choice.

Ps…there are loads of studies showing the negative recovery rate impact of alcohol on footballers and athletes bodies…it slows down metabolism and impacts muscle tissue recovery and energy restoration ..

LaMotta
04-12-2021, 08:12 AM

Jaffa Cakes are ideal for a pre run energy boost. Although they do have a slight laxative effect so could be risky for a 26 mile run:greengrin

LaMotta
04-12-2021, 08:29 AM
Football in Scotland is well off the norm on this….so your examples of exceptions are of no surprise. And examples of players being steaming, is not really backing up your points.

Just because someone was hammered and then played well, does not make it good for them.

If you are suggesting Olympian athletes regularly use alcohol during their preparations, then I would say that is almost exclusively not true. Most elite athletes have taken alcohol out of their diet. Many footballers too. Whilst moderate alcohol would not be a major issue, it has zero nutritional value, perhaps accept red wine…which is rarely the footballers drink of choice.

Messi, Neymar and Brazilian Ronaldo? None of them have any links to Scottish football.

The examples of players being steaming and then going on to perform very well soon after are quite relevant. It suggests that alcohol consumption doesn't have a negative effect on their performance. I'm sure there are others who it would have a negative impact on. My point is its not right to come out with blanket statements that alcohol should be ruled out for all athletes.

Most elite athletes have completely taken alcohol out their diet? Some have, its well documented, but you can't know that most have.

It's not about whether alcohol is good for athletes in the main. Alcohol isnt really very good for anyone long term. But for some it doesnt seem to be negatively affecting performances and its untrue to say that all top athletes don't drink. We've not even really touched on the psychological benefits that unwinding can have on a person.

bigwheel
04-12-2021, 08:38 AM
Messi, Neymar and Brazilian Ronaldo? None of them have any links to Scottish football.

The examples of players being steaming and then going on to perform very well soon after are quite relevant. It suggests that alcohol consumption doesn't have a negative effect on their performance. I'm sure there are others who it would have a negative impact on. My point is its not right to come out with blanket statements that alcohol should be ruled out for all athletes.

Most elite athletes have completely taken alcohol out their diet? Some have, its well documented, but you can't know that most have.

It's not about whether alcohol is good for athletes in the main. Alcohol isnt really very good for anyone long term. But for some it doesnt seem to be negatively affecting performances and its untrue to say that all top athletes don't drink. We've not even really touched on the psychological benefits that unwinding can have on a person.

I think your psychological point is a good one actually ..that could indeed balance some of the negatives

Your examples of great players who like to drink - not so much.

The science now tells us that alcohol slows down recovery . So the scottish practice of going out and getting hammered with the boys after matches, is not good for their recovery. Many studies have addressed this. It does affect their recovery negatively - whether they are playing well the week after or not ..that’s scientific fact now . As a result most serious athletes have long since recognised this - that’s my main point .

Anyway, enough of this - it’s match day :)

MWHIBBIES
04-12-2021, 08:47 AM

Perhaps if he didn't do that he plays at a much higher level?

LaMotta
04-12-2021, 09:11 AM
I think your psychological point is a good one actually ..that could indeed balance some of the negatives

Your examples of great players who like to drink - not so much.

The science now tells us that alcohol slows down recovery . So the scottish practice of going out and getting hammered with the boys after matches, is not good for their recovery. Many studies have addressed this. It does affect their recovery negatively - whether they are playing well the week after or not ..that’s scientific fact now . As a result most serious athletes have long since recognised this - that’s my main point .

Anyway, enough of this - it’s match day :)

Not sure why you think those examples are bad??

I totally agree with you alcohol slows recovery. I think for some players if they drink 3 or 4 days before a game it would have minimal effect though on petformance.

Lets hope that the players are out celebrating 3 points with a few pints tonight:greengrin

LaMotta
04-12-2021, 09:14 AM
Perhaps if he didn't do that he plays at a much higher level?

Thats a fair point actually, you could be right. I suppose he may also have been a worse player without the personality he had for the desire to be drinking. We'll never know:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
14-12-2021, 11:43 AM
Charlie Adam also arrested and charged on suspicion of drink driving Charlie Adam: Dundee captain arrested and charged on suspicion of drink-driving | Football News | Sky Sports (https://www.skysports.com/football/news/26263/12495386/charlie-adam-dundee-captain-arrested-and-charged-on-suspicion-of-drink-driving?fbclid=IwAR3SE_yoKo7VdxxgADQJrZeUw7FkA3hpa WP0MMO_NXlXHH94X6T4e8nzIx8)

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "Shortly after 4.25am on Monday, December 13, 2021 a 36-year-old man was arrested and charged for a road traffic offence in Dundee Road West, Dundee. A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal."

36 year old he should damn well know better, i don't imagine that's the first time he's done it either

BlackSheep
14-12-2021, 11:45 AM
Not sure posting this in Joe Newell's thread is as relevant as you think.....

cabbageandribs1875
14-12-2021, 11:47 AM
read the thread, same topic