PDA

View Full Version : Beaton

dastardly8
01-12-2021, 08:47 PM
Another pathetic referee , itching at every opportunity to give that lot a decision, it is getting so transparent it’s embarrassing , the Cadden foul embarrassing , the throw in that was clearly Hibs throw embarrassing , the corner at the end blows the whistle embarrassing , the most corrupt league on the planet

Northernhibee
01-12-2021, 08:49 PM
He’s a ****ing prick.

Northernhibee
01-12-2021, 08:52 PM
His audition tape for the cup final.

Mon Dieu4
01-12-2021, 08:56 PM
He ran by Porto on the ground at one stage to make sure the Rangers player was ok, says it all really

hibee_girl
01-12-2021, 08:57 PM
You knew what kind of night it was going to be when he spoke to Porteous for having the audacity to be fouled and ignored the Rangers player.

Vault Boy
01-12-2021, 08:57 PM
It's not even subtle.

Borderhibbie76
01-12-2021, 08:58 PM
Blatant as u like

Lancs Harp
01-12-2021, 08:58 PM
To be fair he was The Rangers best player.

Heisenberg
01-12-2021, 09:00 PM
We’ve been ****ed over plenty in this fixture recently but that was a penalty tonight I think.

weecounty hibby
01-12-2021, 09:07 PM
What the **** was going on in the last couple of minutes when we had a throw in as the ball had been punted straight out by the hun and he gave them a throw and booked McGinn? Just one if a number of shocking decisions from him

BigKev
01-12-2021, 09:09 PM
He was a joke again tonight. Shouldn’t be allowed to referee their games. The hun was ripping out his whistle. Ably assisted by the East Stand linesman.

overdrive
01-12-2021, 09:16 PM
The East Stand linesman was beyond incompetent. Something really dodgy about him.

Broken Gnome
01-12-2021, 09:18 PM
Can't think of any game I've been to with so many genuinely inexplicable refereeing moments.

Bobo
01-12-2021, 09:18 PM
15 against 11, we got nowt from the officials all game.

It was a poor game with very little in it except us showing a ***** Orc team far too much respect, as usual, and allowing them too much possession! The only way they were going to score was with a penalty and Beaton duly obliged. 🙄

LunasBoots
01-12-2021, 09:20 PM
The East Stand linesman was beyond incompetent. Something really dodgy about him.

Yup he was awful, all officials under strict orders to give Rangers possesion at every opportunity.

GlasgowHibs
01-12-2021, 09:23 PM
Cheating Beaton. Their 12th man. As ever. As always.

Magpie
01-12-2021, 09:28 PM
Riddled to the core.

BH Hibs
01-12-2021, 09:29 PM

Was going to say he was worse.

greenginger
01-12-2021, 09:31 PM

Just saw some clips on Sky. Ball out to their right wing , going out of play but it’s controlled by the huns right arm right in front of the east stand linesman. No flag ! Inexplicably

overdrive
01-12-2021, 09:31 PM
Just saw some clips on Sky. Ball out to their right wing , going out of play but it’s controlled by the huns right arm right in front of the east stand linesman. No flag ! Inexplicably

There was the Boyle offside where he actually ran past the Rangers defender as well.

Even Cheating Beaton looked surprised at that one.

hibee_girl
01-12-2021, 09:32 PM
There was the Boyle offside where he actually ran past the Rangers defender as well.

Even Cheating Beaton looked surprised at that one.

That was ridiculous

madhatter
01-12-2021, 09:33 PM
Cadden gets passed Barasic who falls on his backside...freekick to Rangers.

Leith Green
01-12-2021, 09:33 PM
Defo was a penalty imo , but his all round display was honking. The guy is a complete tosser.. He gave them everything all night , pure hun to the core and he aint exactly subtle

BigKev
01-12-2021, 09:36 PM

Corner in the first half that came back off Aribo’s leg… about 2 minutes after a similar incident at the other end was (correctly) given as a goal kick.

matty_f
01-12-2021, 09:36 PM
Think he got the penalty right but that was about it. Some utterly baffling decisions all night, all to the benefit of one team.

Coco Bryce
01-12-2021, 09:37 PM
He really is a wee fud.

Brightside
01-12-2021, 09:38 PM
All the officials were awful tonight. Not even small mistakes. 100% giving everything possible to Rangers.

CmoantheHibs
01-12-2021, 09:39 PM
What the **** was going on in the last couple of minutes when we had a throw in as the ball had been punted straight out by the hun and he gave them a throw and booked McGinn? Just one if a number of shocking decisions from him
This is the one that confused me most of all. I’ve never heard of a throw going to the other side because of dissent. I’m presuming it was dissent McGinn was booked for.

JohnMcM
01-12-2021, 09:41 PM
No more, no less than expected, even though the penalty was a penalty, it’s the other decisions that damn him and his assessors.

Scottish Football authorities, hang your head in shame.

S4uzee
01-12-2021, 09:43 PM
Total corruption. I wish people would call it out

Eyrie
01-12-2021, 09:44 PM
Beaton let play continue when Hanlon was down injured, yet stopped play as soon as he saw Kent was down. Neither injury was a head knock.

And that was a very soft penalty. I'd have claimed for it at the other end, but in hope rather than expectation.

allmodcons
Think he got the penalty right but that was about it. Some utterly baffling decisions all night, all to the benefit of one team.

I thought it was a (soft) penalty but, mark my words, there is no way we'd be getting that so late in the game if it had been Boyle who was 'touched' and went down in their penalty area.

It's not a level playing level. What's good enough for them should be good enough for us but that's rarely ever the case.

Same at Ibrox with the Porteous sending off. A possible red card but no way Goldson (for example) would have walked for the same challenge at the other end.

ahibby
All the officials were awful tonight. Not even small mistakes. 100% giving everything possible to Rangers.

But Hibs did not and could not do enough to win anyway. Rangers had a better bench which made the difference

Daniel 1875
01-12-2021, 09:46 PM
The Cadden one coupled with Bassey firing the ball straight out to then see Rangers get the throw in are two of the worst decisions I’ve seen at Easter Road in a long time. Laughable really.

Magpie
Total corruption. I wish people would call it out

No VAR in Scotland and I be surprised if there ever will be. Laughable really.

Libby Hibby
This is the one that confused me most of all. I’ve never heard of a throw going to the other side because of dissent. I’m presuming it was dissent McGinn was booked for.

McGinn stole 15 yards an as the throw had been taken, it reverts back to the opposition…frustrating but nothing sinister

Eyrie
I thought it was a (soft) penalty but, mark my words, there is no way we'd be getting that so late in the game if it had been Boyle who was 'touched' and went down in their penalty area.

It's not a level playing level. What's good enough for them should be good enough for us but that's rarely ever the case.

Same at Ibrox with the Porteous sending off. A possible red card but no way Goldson (for example) would have walked for the same challenge at the other end.

Lundstrom didn't walk for a similar challenge on Doig shortly before the Porteous incident at Ibrox.

01-12-2021, 09:47 PM
But Hibs did not and could not do enough to win anyway. Rangers had a better bench which made the difference

They were poor and didn't deserve to win.

Greenbeard
01-12-2021, 09:47 PM
Have to say I don't usually go along with all this Weegie/Hun favouritism from refs but I've changed my mind after tonight. Shocker.

allmodcons
01-12-2021, 09:48 PM
They were poor and didn't deserve to win.

What, and Rangers did?

01-12-2021, 09:48 PM
McGinn stole 15 yards an as the throw had been taken, it reverts back to the opposition…frustrating but nothing sinister

Yet Beaton allowed them to steal 15 yards at the free kick which should have been taken from their goal line.

Libby Hibby
01-12-2021, 09:49 PM
Yet Beaton allowed them to steal 15 yards at the free kick which should have been taken from their goal line.

True but that’s why Rangers got the throw at the end. I was just trying to clear it up for some.

01-12-2021, 09:50 PM
What, and Rangers did?

I was talking about Rangers.

CmoantheHibs
01-12-2021, 09:51 PM
Ah ok. I didn’t realise he had taken the throw. I thought Beaton had just told him to get back a bit.

01-12-2021, 09:51 PM
True but that’s why Rangers got the throw at the end. I was just trying to clear it up for some.

Fair enough but he should have just allowed like he did for them.

e2los
01-12-2021, 09:52 PM

Looking forward to post match commentary.

Must be a local restaurant that would take in your dug, as the barking has been pissing me off for months.

Did I just say that?

GGTTH

allmodcons
01-12-2021, 09:53 PM
I was talking about Rangers.

:greengrin

lord bunberry
01-12-2021, 09:56 PM
It was a really strange decision, I thought he’d given a free kick for something but then the hun took the throw in. I’d love someone to explain that one.

matty_f
01-12-2021, 09:57 PM
Looking forward to post match commentary.

Must be a local restaurant that would take in your dug, as the barking has been pissing me off for months.

Did I just say that?

GGTTH
No show tonight, won’t be home until midnight. :aok:

‘Mon the dug.

lord bunberry
01-12-2021, 09:59 PM
I can’t tell you how annoying I find posts like this. Yes you’re right we didn’t do enough to win, but what’s that got to do with the referees performance? There’s numerous threads discussing how we played, this one is about the referee.

Fergus52
01-12-2021, 10:00 PM
Some of the calls from the linesman were horrendous.

The cadden 'foul' on barisic and the Boyle offside when he'd clearly ran from several yards in front of their defence.

Both those calls can be nothing but corrupt, there was nothing even close to a foul or an offside in either of them

Gmack7
01-12-2021, 10:05 PM
Brother Beaton wasn't happy with the penalty he was choking to take it

BoyledEgg
01-12-2021, 10:06 PM

We had 2 players sitting on the bench who won the game for us against St Johnstone, who didn’t get on the park until the 86th minute when we went 1-0 down. If JR made something happen instead of waiting on something to happen then it might of been a different story.

gaz1875
01-12-2021, 10:19 PM
We had 2 players sitting on the bench who won the game for us against St Johnstone, who didn’t get on the park until the 86th minute when we went 1-0 down. If JR made something happen instead of waiting on something to happen then it might of been a different story.

Why would he change the formation when we were easily containing them with 5 minutes to go?

Onceinawhile
01-12-2021, 10:24 PM

I think mcginn took it too far forward, as a result by the letter of the law, it then becomes a rangers throw and mcinn was then booked for dissent.

But given he had let rangers take free kicks from anywhere, it was a strange time to start caring.

penihibs
01-12-2021, 10:25 PM

Was in pub watching, everyone commented on it that it was so blatant cheating.

matty_f
01-12-2021, 10:27 PM
I think mcginn took it too far forward, as a result by the letter of the law, it then becomes a rangers throw and mcinn was then booked for dissent.

But given he had let rangers take free kicks from anywhere, it was a strange time to start caring.

Is that the rule? I’ve only ever seen the ref team them to retake it from the correct spot before.

greenginger
01-12-2021, 10:34 PM
Some of the calls from the linesman were horrendous.

The cadden 'foul' on barisic and the Boyle offside when he'd clearly ran from several yards in front of their defence.

Both those calls can be nothing but corrupt, there was nothing even close to a foul or an offside in either of them

Can any techies on here not pull together those horrendous decisions and get them put on u-tube and try and expose the blatant cheating that goes on.

O'Rourke3
01-12-2021, 10:34 PM
After 15 minutes it looked like all the officials were Brothers in the Govan Lodge. The decision that baffled me was when Beaton blew up when Hun and Ryan had head knocks but gave Rangers the ball when he hadn't given a free kick. He stopped play and pointed to both head knocks. Maybe Sky viewers got the advantage of who ever was commentating as a former Hun.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
01-12-2021, 10:35 PM
Why would he change the formation when we were easily containing them with 5 minutes to go?

To try and win the game

GordonHFC
01-12-2021, 10:39 PM
Beaton is not incompetent he is a cheat.

lord bunberry
01-12-2021, 10:41 PM
Beaton is not incompetent he is a cheat.
Like a good few of them.

Carheenlea
01-12-2021, 10:47 PM
No VAR in Scotland and I be surprised if there ever will be. Laughable really.

Would you trust our officials in Scotland with VAR? Wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference. If anything it would be worse if they had the opportunity to forensically examine incidents to help them award more decisions Rangers way.

gaz1875
01-12-2021, 10:50 PM
To try and win the game

We were on top most of the second half playing the way we were? If we were losing I would agree with you, which happened when they scored.

BoomtownHibees
01-12-2021, 10:53 PM
We were on top most of the second half playing the way we were? If we were losing I would agree with you, which happened when they scored.

We were on top without really looking like scoring. I felt the same subs should have been made about 10 mins earlier to give us more of a chance to win the game instead of only making them when chasing it

TelaStella
01-12-2021, 10:59 PM
I think it’s simply that games are becoming too fast for his fat hun arse to keep up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoyledEgg
01-12-2021, 11:07 PM

We didn’t create a single clear cut chance. We had more of the ball but we weren’t on top. JR set out not to lose the game, and we still
lost it. Go and try make something happen, Rangers were there for the taking again and JR blew it.

lord bunberry
01-12-2021, 11:14 PM
We didn’t create a single clear cut chance. We had more of the ball but we weren’t on top. JR set out not to lose the game, and we still
lost it. Go and try make something happen, Rangers were there for the taking again and JR blew it.
I’m not really sure that’s the case, I don’t think rangers were there for the taking. As you said we didn’t create a single clear cut chance, I thought we looked more positive in the second half but I didn’t think we looked like scoring. It’s easy to say we should’ve gone more positive but at the time I thought we were doing the right thing and a point would’ve been a decent return.

BoyledEgg
01-12-2021, 11:26 PM
I’m not really sure that’s the case, I don’t think rangers were there for the taking. As you said we didn’t create a single clear cut chance, I thought we looked more positive in the second half but I didn’t think we looked like scoring. It’s easy to say we should’ve gone more positive but at the time I thought we were doing the right thing and a point would’ve been a decent return.

I thought Rangers were really really poor tonight and Allan or Murphy coming on 10 minutes earlier would of helped create a good chance or two. I’m not one for playing for draws, would rather of seen JR try something different to go and win the game, it was very winnable.

Jones28
01-12-2021, 11:27 PM
Only decisions he got right were the penalty and the bookings, the rest was bewildering.

lord bunberry
01-12-2021, 11:38 PM
I thought Rangers were really really poor tonight and Allan or Murphy coming on 10 minutes earlier would of helped create a good chance or two. I’m not one for playing for draws, would rather of seen JR try something different to go and win the game, it was very winnable.
I would imagine none of us would be happy playing for draws and I don’t think we did, but as the game went on I thought we had a reasonable grip on things. They didn’t look like scoring and we looked pretty dangerous, the penalty changed everything.

Carheenlea
02-12-2021, 12:13 AM
Just viewed the penalty for first time since the game on video.

Dive. On his way down before the brief brush of foot occurred. After reading a lot of the comments I wasn’t expecting what I’ve just watched. I’m just not seeing what others are seeing here.

https://twitter.com/zeshankenzo/status/1466175236550938629?s=21

02-12-2021, 12:23 AM

Dive. On his way down before the brief brush of foot occurred. After reading a lot of the comments I wasn’t expecting what I’ve just watched. I’m just not seeing what others are seeing here.

He was barely touched, anticipated contact and was going down however Porteous pulled his foot away but unfortunately not in time. There's nothing in the rules about contact = penalty so JR was right it's a 50/50 as in sometimes you'll get it and sometimes you won't. Wish he'd added "but for Rangers it's a 90/10."

Was definitely a soft one and Kent was playing for it.

Col2
02-12-2021, 12:25 AM
Was Boyle offside for the chance he ran on to in the second half ? Has anyone watched it back?

NAE NOOKIE
02-12-2021, 02:23 AM

Indeed. He gave them a free kick three feet from their own by line and by the time it was taken the ball was about 20 yards further up the pitch, the crowd was roaring about it, he watched them do it ....... and did nothing. And as another poster said, he allowed play to go on when Hanlon went down, but stopped a Hibs move in order to see if Kent was ok. That's not incompetence, that's applying a different standard to one team over another, that's cheating.

heretoday
02-12-2021, 02:55 AM
Was Boyle offside for the chance he ran on to in the second half ? Has anyone watched it back?

I thought that at the time. Boyle was genuinely surprised himself.
On Rangers TV of course the commentators played it down.

JimBHibees
02-12-2021, 06:00 AM

Clearly not offside watched it back last night. Terrible decision just like the corner he gave them which was a clear goal kick in the first half.

JimBHibees
02-12-2021, 06:03 AM

So did I easy to say in hindsight we should have done this or that.

Greenbeard
02-12-2021, 06:39 AM

Exactly. Boyle goes down like that to a withdrawn leg in the box at Ipox with 5mins to go and he would have seen red for simulation.

Greenbeard
02-12-2021, 06:40 AM
He was barely touched, anticipated contact and was going down however Porteous pulled his foot away but unfortunately not in time. There's nothing in the rules about contact = penalty so JR was right it's a 50/50 as in sometimes you'll get it and sometimes you won't. Wish he'd added "but for Rangers it's a 90/10."

Was definitely a soft one and Kent was playing for it.
It was a penalty by the letter of the lodge.

Wheat Hound
02-12-2021, 06:46 AM
It's not always the big calls but a cumulative awarding of smaller calls throughout the game which help keep Hibs in check.

HH81
02-12-2021, 06:55 AM
It's not always the big calls but a cumulative awarding of smaller calls throughout the game which help keep Hibs in check.

You could tell Beaton we're always giving them a major decision all game. 50/50s went mostly their way from the off.

100% of the time the rangers are getting that call and I bet Hibs would have only been given it one in two.

BoomtownHibees
02-12-2021, 06:57 AM

Yep, that and him giving us a couple of “easy” fouls, in our own half etc to make it look like he’s being fair

Rumble de Thump
02-12-2021, 07:05 AM
At the last corner of the first half a Sevco player clearly fouled a Hibs player in the Sevco box. A clear penalty. Nothing given. I'm not sure anything was even said about it. It's the dodgy refereeing people expect and it just seems to be accepted (or desired) by everyone in Scottish football. I can't see how anything will ever change.

One Day
02-12-2021, 07:14 AM
Would you trust our officials in Scotland with VAR? Wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference. If anything it would be worse if they had the opportunity to forensically examine incidents to help them award more decisions Rangers way.

Exactly what I've been saying for months

killie-hibby
02-12-2021, 07:52 AM

The clip shows Kent intentionally shortening his stride to turn his right leg at an unnatural angle ensuring the defenders left leg catches him. Had this been Boyle it is likely he would have been booked for diving and lambasted by the Hun pundits.

Fuzzywuzzy
02-12-2021, 08:18 AM
There was a free kick given to rangers down near the TV gantry when beaton was about 30 yards behind the play in the middle of the pitch. There's no way he saw any infringement.

02-12-2021, 08:21 AM
Was Porteous booked for the penalty last night?

hibee_girl
02-12-2021, 08:34 AM
Was Porteous booked for the penalty last night?

No

SerenityGreen
02-12-2021, 08:53 AM

Completely agree. I'm surprised some folks are saying it's a stonewall pen. I just don't see that at all. It's a clear dive in my book. My initial reaction and again watching it back. Porto pulls his foot back (though according to McCann on sportscene it's this act that causes the foul?). there is minimal contact and Kent clearly plays for it.

MrSmith
02-12-2021, 08:57 AM
Our owner and manager need to start calling this out and ensure Beaton never officiates a game inclusive of the Rangers again. It must stop.

hibbysam
02-12-2021, 09:01 AM
Completely agree. I'm surprised some folks are saying it's a stonewall pen. I just don't see that at all. It's a clear dive in my book. My initial reaction and again watching it back. Porto pulls his foot back (though according to McCann on sportscene it's this act that causes the foul?). there is minimal contact and Kent clearly plays for it.

It’s exactly the decision that the premier league are getting away from. ‘Minimal contact’ that wouldn’t put you to ground but you Chuck yourself down to buy it. There is a brush of the toes, that’s all it is. The fact Kent loses both legs from underneath him at that point shows he’s made a meal of it.

Northernhibee
02-12-2021, 09:03 AM
It’s exactly the decision that the premier league are getting away from. ‘Minimal contact’ that wouldn’t put you to ground but you Chuck yourself down to buy it. There is a brush of the toes, that’s all it is. The fact Kent loses both legs from underneath him at that point shows he’s made a meal of it.

Yep. It’s a dive. If Martin Boyle had done that he’d have been booked and torn apart by the press.

Spooky
02-12-2021, 09:04 AM
What about the Hibs pass to another Hibs player........but it comes off the ref. He then gives the drop ball to them?

How does that work? :confused:

Rumble de Thump
02-12-2021, 09:06 AM
Yep. It’s a dive. If Martin Boyle had done that he’d have been booked and torn apart by the press.

Kent clearly didn't expect Ryan was going to pull out of the challenge. He begins the dive, Ryan quickly withdraws his leg but Kent is already flinging himself to the ground.

bigwheel
02-12-2021, 09:07 AM
What about the Hibs pass to another Hibs player........but it comes off the ref. He then gives the drop ball to them?

How does that work? :confused:

Pretty sure it was a Rangers pass

SerenityGreen
02-12-2021, 09:07 AM
Yes. Good point. You can normally tell how a player falls if he has been genuinely fouled or not. The fact that Kent loses both legs as you state shows he dived. Slight brush of two players feet does not make both legs collapse.

BoomtownHibees
02-12-2021, 10:41 AM

Yeah Rangers player passing to a Rangers player I’m sure

Jones28
02-12-2021, 10:46 AM
Watched the penalty again this morning and it's a dive for me, contact is totally minimal and Kent buys it.

theonlywayisup
02-12-2021, 11:09 AM
Thought it was a penalty last night and having re-watched it this morning it's 100% a penalty. I would be very angry if that happened to our player and not given.

Re Beaton, yes he was itching to give them a penalty, but we can't complain with this one.

02-12-2021, 11:10 AM
Watched the penalty again this morning and it's a dive for me, contact is totally minimal and Kent buys it.

It's soft and it's a dive where he made the most of it but it's a penalty. Scott Allan got one at Ibrox in a win under Lennon.

The ref was given a decision to make and he is always going to give a penalty.

superfurryhibby
02-12-2021, 11:30 AM

It was, definitely so.

With regard to the penalty, it was soft as and Kent made a meal of it. However, there was contact. We had them given to us in exactly the same scenario.

At the time I wondered why Kent was allowed to drive into the box. There were two Hibs players covering and both backed off. I appreciate they were trying to jockey him, but it would be better to prevent him entering the box. Conceding a foul then would be less calamitous?

Rumble de Thump
02-12-2021, 11:37 AM
Contact doesn't equate to a foul. When you watch the replays from a certain angle you can see that there is contact, which is manufactured by Kent. Kent leaves his right leg dangling out to his left trying to make that contact as he chucks himself to the ground.

02-12-2021, 11:39 AM
What about Boyle's penalty in the Semi Final? Pretty similar I'd say.

02-12-2021, 11:44 AM
It was, definitely so.

With regard to the penalty, it was soft as and Kent made a meal of it. However, there was contact. We had them given to us in exactly the same scenario.

At the time I wondered why Kent was allowed to drive into the box. There were two Hibs players covering and both backed off. I appreciate they were trying to jockey him, but it would be better to prevent him entering the box. Conceding a foul then would be less calamitous?

The relevance of "there was contact" is something invented by pundits, nothing in the rules about it. I don't deny that we've had similar soft penalties before but that doesn't make it right. Something should be done to stamp out players deliberately going down in the box to win penalties.

02-12-2021, 11:46 AM
It's soft and it's a dive where he made the most of it but it's a penalty. Scott Allan got one at Ibrox in a win under Lennon.

The ref was given a decision to make and he is always going to give a penalty.

Why is he always going to give a penalty?

02-12-2021, 11:49 AM
Why is he always going to give a penalty?

Attackers seem to generally get the benefit of the doubt. It was in the box, there was contact and Porteous did have his leg out.

BoomtownHibees
02-12-2021, 11:49 AM

Nothing like it imo

02-12-2021, 11:57 AM
Attackers seem to generally get the benefit of the doubt. It was in the box, there was contact and Porteous did have his leg out.

Don't you mean "Rangers" instead of "Attackers"?

Tyler Durden
02-12-2021, 11:59 AM
Certainly had some shocking decisions from Beaton but he could easily have booked Campbell and Boyle at times. Barisic aswell for them.

Fairly lenient overall I thought.

And the Cadden trip on Barisic was obviously given by the linesman.

SaulGoodman
02-12-2021, 12:00 PM

What 😂😂😂

Thanks for confirming you watch football games with your eyes shut, that would explain most of your opinions.

02-12-2021, 12:01 PM
What 😂😂😂

Thanks for confirming you watch football games with your eyes shut, that would explain most of your opinions.

As in, it was soft but it was given.

Attackers get the benefit of the doubt.

BoomtownHibees
02-12-2021, 12:10 PM

Nothing soft about Boyles penalty

hibbysam
02-12-2021, 12:11 PM

There’s nothing soft about getting a knee into the top of your leg while being barged over.

Spooky
02-12-2021, 12:26 PM

OK....my bad!

Cheers

500miles
02-12-2021, 12:36 PM

Kent hangs his leg in to make sure porteous catches him. Boyle got called a cheat for that.

hibsbollah
02-12-2021, 12:43 PM
Certainly had some shocking decisions from Beaton but he could easily have booked Campbell and Boyle at times. Barisic aswell for them.

Fairly lenient overall I thought.

And the Cadden trip on Barisic was obviously given by the linesman.

Campbell is going to have his fair share of bookings. He needs to rein it in a bit or learn to be a bit sly about it.

superfurryhibby
02-12-2021, 12:49 PM
The relevance of "there was contact" is something invented by pundits, nothing in the rules about it. I don't deny that we've had similar soft penalties before but that doesn't make it right. Something should be done to stamp out players deliberately going down in the box to win penalties.

I agree, contact doesn't automatically equate to penalty and yes, there should be action taken to stop players diving and cheating.

I think it was avoidable. I've just looked at it again. McGinn was closest to Kent when the ball was passed. He could have challenged him then. If he was skinned then Porto was ready to cover. Instead he drops back and lets Porto come in and make the tackle. Porto didn't need to do that at that point, he should have tried to force Kent wide and onto his left foot, which McGinn had covered.

Once a player is in the box, especially one with the trickery of Kent, he's always going to take a man on. We handed the pen to him on a plate, dive or otherwise.

Greenbeard
02-12-2021, 01:02 PM
By the same token, when Aribo skinned Newell in the box with close control then fired into the side netting, Newell put a hand on him, but credit to Aribo he ignored it, carried on and got a shot away. But had he done a swan dive like Kent, would a penalty have been given against Newell cos there was contact?

Seveno
02-12-2021, 04:07 PM
If you see it from behind the goals, Kent puts his right foot (the outside one) back in to make contact with Ryan’s foot. He conned the ref, not the Beaton required much encouragement.

Feed McGraw
02-12-2021, 04:39 PM
It`s a dive alright, it`s the new " smart " way to dive. Just make sure you make some kind of contact with the defender, rather than him making contact with you.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2021, 04:44 PM
Just watched it back now, it's very soft but I agree with what Ross said last night in that it's one where you're screaming for it if it's your own team and screaming against it if it's not.

Kent clearly knows what he's doing and the contact's minimal but Porteous is daft to stick out his leg like that.

Eyrie
02-12-2021, 06:56 PM
It`s a dive alright, it`s the new " smart " way to dive. Just make sure you make some kind of contact with the defender, rather than him making contact with you.

Which pisses me off.

If the attacker initiates the contact, as last night, then it should not be a penalty.

Hibs90
02-12-2021, 07:14 PM
Just watched it back now, it's very soft but I agree with what Ross said last night in that it's one where you're screaming for it if it's your own team and screaming against it if it's not.

Kent clearly knows what he's doing and the contact's minimal but Porteous is daft to stick out his leg like that.

He removed his leg

Lago
02-12-2021, 07:17 PM
He removed his leg
Shouldn't have stuck it in at all

wookie70
02-12-2021, 07:25 PM
It`s a dive alright, it`s the new " smart " way to dive. Just make sure you make some kind of contact with the defender, rather than him making contact with you. Not really new, Brian Laudrup won a penalty against us doing similar many moons ago. A good referee spots it and Porteous should realise they don't exist in Scotland

SerenityGreen
02-12-2021, 08:47 PM
Yep. This new vernacular of "there was contact". "He's entitled to go down" which is being spouted by pundits all the time. I hate it with a vengeance. It actually depresses me. It's a cheats game and I for one hate it but sadly it's now the modern game. I recall not so long ago (or maybe it was a few years ago now)(think it might actually have been hearts player playing for lithuania) Scotland v lithuania, and lithuania player tried to win a penalty by diving. Got absolutely vilified,by press and all and sundry. It was like that kind of thing just doesn't happen in Scotland pal, now it just happens all the time and it's just part of the "modern" game. I don't doubt they now treat it as a training exercise and practice the art of "diving" and "winning" fouls.

Feed McGraw
02-12-2021, 09:06 PM
Not really new, Brian Laudrup won a penalty against us doing similar many moons ago. A good referee spots it and Porteous should realise they don't exist in Scotland It's not really new I agree, but it's a lot more common nowadays. The refs don't help.

Hibee87
02-12-2021, 09:14 PM
Shouldn't have stuck it in at all

:agree: And let kent open up the space for a free hit at goal and we could then lambast Ryan for not putting a foot in :aok:

ancient hibee
02-12-2021, 09:18 PM
Like I said on another thread a law of the game is being turned on it’s head by fouls being given in favour of players who instigate contact. Similarly players in midfield knock the ball on,deliberately run into an opponent and get given the foul.

Suburban Hibby
02-12-2021, 09:31 PM
Cadden gets passed Barasic who falls on his backside...freekick to Rangers.

That was right in front of me, absolutely baffling decision

AgentDaleCooper
02-12-2021, 09:41 PM
it's a dive, not a pen, but porteous gave the ref a decision to make by putting his foot in after the ball had gone. bad decisions all round.

Bobby's Cinema
02-12-2021, 09:57 PM
The Boyle offside second half was blatantly wrong from my view in the far side of the east stand, the defender had ****ed up and left it not expecting someone onside not interfering coming in behind how do you get that wrong on the field?

I haven't seen anyone mention mcgregor stealing 10-15yds for a foul, at which point Beaton was literally more concerned telling the hibs players to **** off and get on with the game.

Truly terrible performance.

1875Sean
02-12-2021, 10:01 PM
Is it true that Scottish refs don’t have to declare which team they support?

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-12-2021, 10:04 PM
Some bizarre officiating clearly favouring 2 clubs from Glasgow over the last day or so

Both clubs got their wins, and that's the most important thing

When Leicester won the league down south that was seen as the most fantastic thing to happen in that league

Officials here would make sure something like that could never happen

02-12-2021, 10:06 PM

Yes. All the top flight refs would just say Queens Park or some other lower league or a West of Scotland League team so it wouldn't make any difference.

1875godsgift
02-12-2021, 10:29 PM

Not sure if it's true or not but it wouldn't really matter, they're never going to say Celtc or Sevco and spoil their chances of reffing big games.

Kato
03-12-2021, 08:04 AM
Is it true that Scottish refs don’t have to declare which team they support?Yes. It's taken for granted.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
03-12-2021, 08:10 AM
Like I said on another thread a law of the game is being turned on it’s head by fouls being given in favour of players who instigate contact. Similarly players in midfield knock the ball on,deliberately run into an opponent and get given the foul.
Or when a defender gets himself between the attacker and the ball, feels the slightest nudge and hits the deck.

HibsGW
03-12-2021, 08:24 AM
:agree: And let kent open up the space for a free hit at goal and we could then lambast Ryan for not putting a foot in :aok:

My view as well, everything is easy in hindsight. If he doesn’t stick his leg in he has a clean one on one the same opportunity as a penalty pretty much

Jones28
03-12-2021, 08:35 AM
As incompetent as Beaton is, VAR might have given us a better chance at not conceding that penalty.

I'm not saying Beaton doesn't deserve the vitriol, but as long as we are only giving referees one look and incidents this will keep happening. In fairness (boak), he looked like he was assessing the issue as much as he could have before blowing up for it.

What it also does is take the big decisions out of the hands of referees essentially, and puts them under a much brighter spotlight.

Give them the help they so clearly need.

Keyser Sauzee
03-12-2021, 09:46 AM
As incompetent as Beaton is, VAR might have given us a better chance at not conceding that penalty.

I'm not saying Beaton doesn't deserve the vitriol, but as long as we are only giving referees one look and incidents this will keep happening. In fairness (boak), he looked like he was assessing the issue as much as he could have before blowing up for it.

What it also does is take the big decisions out of the hands of referees essentially, and puts them under a much brighter spotlight.

Give them the help they so clearly need.

Tbh I think with VAR the penalty would still be given, it always comes down to wether there is contact or not. For me it should be force that determines wether the penalty is given but it’s such a grey area that how do you determine if the force was enough to take the player down? A lot of it is down to individual players also, integrity and honesty has disappeared from the game so much that the slightest bit of contact is how these decisions are judged and it’s wrong. “Winning” a penalty is now congratulated when it’s basically cheating.

Rumble de Thump
03-12-2021, 10:04 AM
If we had VAR and unbiased officials we would have been awarded a penalty when a Hibs player was fouled as a corner was played in right before half time. VAR is doable. I don't think unbiased officials is.

Bostonhibby
03-12-2021, 10:14 AM
Is it true that Scottish refs don’t have to declare which team they support?So long as they say which lodge there in that's generally enough. But celebratinga sevco win over celtc in a pub full of their fans also fits right in.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
03-12-2021, 11:17 AM
My view as well, everything is easy in hindsight. If he doesn’t stick his leg in he has a clean one on one the same opportunity as a penalty pretty much

The only way |Kent gets a clean sight of goal is if he cuts onto his right and beats Porto. Earlier I made the point that this might have been anticipated. McGinn was covering the outside, Kent was always going to try and come inside. Maybe being a bit harsh on Porto, but a smarter defender doesn't have to try and tackle there. That's the fine margins we always hear about.

hibbysam
03-12-2021, 11:56 AM
Tbh I think with VAR the penalty would still be given, it always comes down to wether there is contact or not. For me it should be force that determines wether the penalty is given but it’s such a grey area that how do you determine if the force was enough to take the player down? A lot of it is down to individual players also, integrity and honesty has disappeared from the game so much that the slightest bit of contact is how these decisions are judged and it’s wrong. “Winning” a penalty is now congratulated when it’s basically cheating.

In England it wouldn’t have been given by the referee. Minimal contact is now a defining factor and that was exactly how it happened. Very slight contact that wouldn’t have collapsed both his legs.

hibbysam
03-12-2021, 11:57 AM
The only way |Kent gets a clean sight of goal is if he cuts onto his right and beats Porto. Earlier I made the point that this might have been anticipated. McGinn was covering the outside, Kent was always going to try and come inside. Maybe being a bit harsh on Porto, but a smarter defender doesn't have to try and tackle there. That's the fine margins we always hear about.

Agree I find it hard to criticise as I 100% don’t think it’s a penalty, but Porto needed to slow down on approach to Kent to stop him coming inside.

Carheenlea
03-12-2021, 12:03 PM
The more I watch it the more ridiculous the award becomes.

Not even close to being a legitimate penalty. And I bet Beaton well knows it.

Jones28
03-12-2021, 12:13 PM

I would suggest that slowed down it makes the decision a lot harder to make. I agree with the force in theory, but someone moving a speed is very easy to knock over, so does that mitigate the force?

Monktonhall 7
03-12-2021, 12:18 PM
I recorded the match and finally watched it back this morning to try and get a drink free view! Beaton and his Assistants were woeful and gave us very little. The taking of free kicks and throw ins by The Rangers, continually 15 to 20 yards further up the park from the award was very frustrating and then was compounded by the events in the last 5 minutes with Rangers being given a Hibs throw as we took it from the wrong place, which we did, but completely inconsistent with what he allowed throughout the game.

The foul against Cadden when he completely skinned Barrisic was bewildering. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that in all my time watching football. Then there was the continuous fouls on Porteous, Nisbet and Boyle in particular, when they were in possession, tried to play a pass and were clattered from behind, sometimes causing a misplaced pass, but never penalised as a foul. No wonder Porteous was going mental, and of course, Beaton censured him rather than talking to Morelos.

Finally the penalty. I’ve watched it a dozen times and still can’t see if there was contact, however Beaton was able to see that in real time, no surprise.

I’m not sure there’s much we can do as a club, but Beaton should definitely not be refereeing any matches involving the Huns.

overdrive
03-12-2021, 12:26 PM

I'm not sure about that. I did some of my accountancy training with a guy that was refereeing in the juniors. He is a jambo and said he was made by the SFA to sign his shares in Hearts over to his wife when he became a referee.

What I don't think they do is then ban anyone from refereeing the team they support. The same guy is now a linesman in SPFL games and regularly gets Hearts games.

Keyser Sauzee
03-12-2021, 12:28 PM
I would suggest that slowed down it makes the decision a lot harder to make. I agree with the force in theory, but someone moving a speed is very easy to knock over, so does that mitigate the force?

Slowed down I think u can see the slightest of contact which in cases involving Rangers is enough for Brother Beaton to justify the penalty. Your point about speed mitigating force is exactly the grey area I was talking about, it’s almost impossible to determine that in a lot of cases.

brog
03-12-2021, 01:22 PM
I recorded the match and finally watched it back this morning to try and get a drink free view! Beaton and his Assistants were woeful and gave us very little. The taking of free kicks and throw ins by The Rangers, continually 15 to 20 yards further up the park from the award was very frustrating and then was compounded by the events in the last 5 minutes with Rangers being given a Hibs throw as we took it from the wrong place, which we did, but completely inconsistent with what he allowed throughout the game.

The foul against Cadden when he completely skinned Barrisic was bewildering. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that in all my time watching football. Then there was the continuous fouls on Porteous, Nisbet and Boyle in particular, when they were in possession, tried to play a pass and were clattered from behind, sometimes causing a misplaced pass, but never penalised as a foul. No wonder Porteous was going mental, and of course, Beaton censured him rather than talking to Morelos.

Finally the penalty. I’ve watched it a dozen times and still can’t see if there was contact, however Beaton was able to see that in real time, no surprise.

I’m not sure there’s much we can do as a club, but Beaton should definitely not be refereeing any matches involving the Huns.

And that walloper Andy Walker told Porteous to get on with it after he was barged in the back and off the ball by Morelos. If the situation had been reversed then Walker would have been saying that these are the kind of things Porteous needs to cut out while Beaton was booking Ryan!!

Monktonhall 7
03-12-2021, 02:20 PM
And that walloper Andy Walker told Porteous to get on with it after he was barged in the back and off the ball by Morelos. If the situation had been reversed then Walker would have been saying that these are the kind of things Porteous needs to cut out while Beaton was booking Ryan!!

I agree 100%👍

heretoday
03-12-2021, 03:24 PM
In years to come the refs will all be robots with inbuilt VAR vision and the ability to deliver a stinging laser ray to any player who dives in the box.

No one will get away with anything.

angus hibby
03-12-2021, 04:11 PM
Or when a defender gets himself between the attacker and the ball, feels the slightest nudge and hits the deck.

Ryan does this fairly often and usually gets a free kick for it. Re the penalty, at normal speed and with the ref only getting one look at it, sorry to say I can understand why it’s given. It looks a penalty and only when you see the replay, that you realise contact is minimal and that Kent has instigated it.

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2021, 02:56 PM
Appointed Referee for 2021/22 Scottish League Cup Final

19/12/2021 1500hrs kick off

SFA website

Sir David Gray
07-12-2021, 02:57 PM
Appointed for 2021/22 Scottish League Cup Final

SFA website

😂😂😂 Ah well maybe next year!

Brightside
07-12-2021, 02:58 PM
Oh well. He’s the worst ref in the country.

LunasBoots
07-12-2021, 02:58 PM
What a joke.

The Harp Awakes
07-12-2021, 03:35 PM

SFA website

The only saving grace is that he probably hates them more than us.

degenerated
07-12-2021, 04:02 PM

SFA websiteRangers now bookies favourites for first major cup win :greengrin

hibee-boys
07-12-2021, 04:06 PM
This will really confuse cheating Beaton😂

JimBHibees
07-12-2021, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure about that. I did some of my accountancy training with a guy that was refereeing in the juniors. He is a jambo and said he was made by the SFA to sign his shares in Hearts over to his wife when he became a referee.

What I don't think they do is then ban anyone from refereeing the team they support. The same guy is now a linesman in SPFL games and regularly gets Hearts games.

Clear conflict of interest right there says it all. Get the impression there are a disproportionate amount of both yams and Rangers. Was that gimp that missed Griffiths free kick not a yam.

JimBHibees
07-12-2021, 04:23 PM

Not so sure it will.

MWHIBBIES
07-12-2021, 04:26 PM
Jude Bellingham called out an official at the weekend who has actually been convicted of taking money to fix a match, and he got fined 40k for it.

Anyone thinking calling out the refs without any proof will actually achieve anything is having a laugh.

Carheenlea
07-12-2021, 04:57 PM

One things for sure - he’s going to love being centre of attention and it’s a guarantee his officiating will reflect that.

greenlex
07-12-2021, 04:58 PM
Rangers now bookies favourites for first major cup win :greengrin
:thumbsup:

Greenbeard
07-12-2021, 05:13 PM

SFA website

You'd think they would consider giving a low profile to any ref who has been embroiled in a recent controversial decision, rather than give him the prime job a couple of weeks later. It smacks of "how dare you suggest bias from one of our refs so we're going to appoint him for the Final, so f... you."
Mind, if they adopted the low profile tactic they'd soon run out of refs for the top games.