PDA

View Full Version : WTA: a lesson for football

LeithMike
01-12-2021, 07:50 PM
How rare and courageous to see the WTA suspend all its tournaments in China. This will cost them huge sums of money. The statement by the chief exec is so refreshing and corouageous and not something commonly seen in modern sport:

"If powerful people can suppress the voices of women and sweep allegations of sexual assault under the rug, then the basis on which the WTA was founded - equality for women - would suffer an immense setback. I will not and cannot let that happen to the WTA and its players."

People's welfare above money and success. Not something we see in football.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Paul1642
01-12-2021, 08:00 PM
How rare and courageous to see the WTA suspend all its tournaments in China. This will cost them huge sums of money. The statement by the chief exec is so refreshing and corouageous and not something commonly seen in modern sport:

"If powerful people can suppress the voices of women and sweep allegations of sexual assault under the rug, then the basis on which the WTA was founded - equality for women - would suffer an immense setback. I will not and cannot let that happen to the WTA and its players."

People's welfare above money and success. Not something we see in football.

1 tennis player under house arrest. Tennis rightly puts its foot down.

Qatar World Cup - reported that perhaps over 10’000 of borderline slaves have lost their lives building the stadiums that will never be used again after the corrupt event. Silence…..

I still love watching it still but the game is long gone gone from being about the fans.

MWHIBBIES
01-12-2021, 08:49 PM
Brilliant move by them. Everyone should be standing up to China. The things they are getting away with are scary.

Liberal Hibby
01-12-2021, 10:25 PM
1 tennis player under house arrest. Tennis rightly puts its foot down.

Qatar World Cup - reported that perhaps over 10’000 of borderline slaves have lost their lives building the stadiums that will never be used again after the corrupt event. Silence…..

I still love watching it still but the game is long gone gone from being about the fans.

The Qatar world cup is a disgrace and should be boycotted by the west but won't be.

LeithMike
02-12-2021, 07:11 AM
It really is zero tolerance by the WTA. Brilliant to see. It really shows up our football governing bodies in Scotland who did nothing about sectarianism for years until UEFA intervened. If the WTA can stand up to China, surely the SFA and SPFL can stand up to Celtic and Rangers. Most recent example the final ticket allocation.

It just shows that things can be done but you need a brave leader who is willing to sacrifice finance in the interests of people.

FilipinoHibs
02-12-2021, 08:55 AM
Great stand. What they are doing to workers, ethnic minorities and Hong Kong deserves a world wide business boycott. But no too much money to be made. Well done the WTA.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2021, 10:00 AM
Well done to them for their stance and I would love to see other major sports pull their events out of places like China, Qatar, UAE etc.

What's happening to Peng Shuai is far more important than any money the WTA may get from holding events in China.

Keith_M
02-12-2021, 10:15 AM
The Qatar world cup is a disgrace and should be boycotted by the west but won't be.

Tend to agree.

First up, the decision to award them the World Cup was corrupt and should have been overturned.

They also claimed the event could be held in the Summer, which was a pre-requisite, but it has now been moved to the winter, so was a blatant lie

Finally, and most importantly, this is a society where the lives of foreign workers is irrelevant, plus women and many minorities are treated as lesser human beings.

I'm struggling to find any enthusiasm for this, even if Scotland did qualify.

makaveli1875
02-12-2021, 11:06 AM
That's a bold move, has to be applauded though. Brave of them to stand up to the CCP but I'd imagine they're gonna be on the receiving end of some serious backlash.