PDA

View Full Version : NHC RIP Ray Kennedy

Hibernia&Alba
30-11-2021, 04:34 PM
Passed away aged 70. What a fine player he was for Arsenal and Liverpool, playing for the latter during their period of total dominance. Three European Cup winners medals.

Sad news.

HoboHarry
30-11-2021, 04:37 PM
Great player in his day. I had actually thought he had passed away a few years ago, obviously I got him mixed up with someone else but can't think who it would have been...

J-C
30-11-2021, 04:43 PM
Sad news, one of Liverpool's regulars during their dominant years.

Hibernia&Alba
30-11-2021, 04:46 PM
Sad news, one of Liverpool's regulars during their dominant years.

Yes, Bob Paisley used to say Ray Kennedy was the most important player in his great Liverpool team of the era. Paisley converted him into a midfielder of course.

BILLYHIBS
30-11-2021, 04:52 PM
Legend

Took over the #5 shirt from our very own Peter Cormack in that great Liverpool team

An under-rated but truly great player for Arsenal Liverpool and England

Sincerest deepest condolences to family and friends

RIP

Crunchie
30-11-2021, 04:54 PM
England were really fortunate to have two high class goalkeepers in the 70s and into the 80s, in Shilton and Kennedy.

If it wasn't for Shilton, Kennedy would have had a lot more than 17 England caps.

RIP Ray Kennedy
Shilton and Clemence.

Hibernia&Alba
30-11-2021, 04:55 PM
England were really fortunate to have two high class goalkeepers in the 70s and into the 80s, in Shilton and Kennedy.

If it wasn't for Shilton, Kennedy would have had a lot more than 17 England caps.

RIP Ray Kennedy

Are you getting him mixed up with Ray Clemence? Kennedy wasn't a goalkeeper. I think Clemence got about sixty-odd caps, didn't he?

Hibernia&Alba
30-11-2021, 04:59 PM
Great player in his day. I had actually thought he had passed away a few years ago, obviously I got him mixed up with someone else but can't think who it would have been...

As mentioned, Ray Clemence? I didn't even know Clemence had died last year! Unless I'd forgotten it.

Keith_M
30-11-2021, 05:00 PM
Shilton and Clemence.

I'm going senile. Thanks :-)

HoboHarry
30-11-2021, 05:18 PM
As mentioned, Ray Clemence? I didn't even know Clemence had died last year! Unless I'd forgotten it.
I think my confusion came from him being diagnosed with Parkinson's almost 40 years ago. I'd no idea it could go on that length of time.....

tamig
30-11-2021, 05:45 PM
What a fantastic goalscoring midfielder he was. A rocket of a shot. RIP Ray.

Lago
30-11-2021, 06:07 PM
Passed away aged 70. What a fine player he was for Arsenal and Liverpool, playing for the latter during their period of total dominance. Three European Cup winners medals.

Sad news.
He was playing for Arsenal when I lived in Stevenage and my next door neighbour was a fervent arsenal supporter, he took me to Highbury to watch "The Arsenal", Kennedy was an absolute joy to watch as was the team.

heretoday
30-11-2021, 06:33 PM
Kennedy scored the goal that secured the double for Arsenal in 1970/71. A header in a midweek game at Spurs, I think, just days after they won the cup against Liverpool in a classic final. What a week that was for the Gunners! I'm wrong. The final was after the league match!

He was a very strong guy and not as slow as he seemed.

FilipinoHibs
30-11-2021, 08:18 PM
Kennedy scored the goal that secured the double for Arsenal in 1970/71. A header in a midweek game at Spurs, I think, just days after they won the cup against Liverpool in a classic final. What a week that was for the Gunners! I'm wrong. The final was after the league match!

Yes they Spurs the previous Monday.

FilipinoHibs
30-11-2021, 08:34 PM

Yes they played Spurs the previous Monday.

Scouse Hibee
01-12-2021, 12:30 AM
A Liverpool legend who I had the pleasure of growing up watching, a wand of a left foot although he was a superb two footed player. Was the most decorated players in English football at one time. RIP.

Iggy Pope
01-12-2021, 12:35 PM
Seemed like a lovely fellah, never looked the most athletic (but clearly was) and not a poster boy either but what a footballer.
That Arsenal side were my introduction to English football as a kid and I still have a love for them but the things Ray Kennedy did then and went on to do in that Liverpool side were incredible really.
RIP