PDA

View Full Version : Might yesterday prove to be Jack Ross's Fergie moment?

Hibernia&Alba
28-11-2021, 05:37 PM
How things can change very quickly. January 1990 and it was widely reported Alex Ferguson was one game away from the sack, in a cup tie at Nottingham Forest. He won the game and the rest is history. Yesterday Hibs were ten minutes from defeat against ten men, following five league defeats on the spin. Had we lost, I'm sure many of us (myself included) would have said the club seriously need to think about a change. We pulled it out of the fire, which will do a great deal for team morale. The league win came just days after reaching a cup final. Suddenly it all looks much brighter again.

Fine margins can make the world of difference. Perhaps we will look back and say those ten minutes yesterday made all the difference to Ross's time at Hibs. If he wins the final, he will always be a Hibs hero. He must have been the most relieved man in Scotland yesterday.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2021, 05:39 PM
I doubt it, he's already proven he's a good manager.

Hibernia&Alba
28-11-2021, 05:42 PM
I doubt it, he's already proven he's a good manager.

Had yesterday finished 1-0 to St Johnstone, I think Ross would have been under real pressure.

matty_f
28-11-2021, 05:42 PM
Had yesterday finished 1-0 to St Johnstone, I think Ross would have been under real pressure.

From the support, but i think the board are firmly behind him at the moment.

Since452
28-11-2021, 05:43 PM
Inheriting a shambles and turning it in to a 3rd place and a cup final last season proved he's a good manager. He had money in the bank to see him through the injury/Covid crisis. The players don't look like players that have lost any faith in the manager. Quite the opposite.

Hibernia&Alba
28-11-2021, 05:47 PM
Inheriting a shambles and turning it in to a 3rd place and a cup final last season proved he's a good manager. He had money in the bank to see him through the injury/Covid crisis.

I would agree, he had credit at the club, but we were on a terrible run of league form, and let's be honest, the football hasn't been great to watch. It's Sevco on Wednesday. What would have happened had we lost yesterday and then gone to seven straight defeats against Der Hun? Those last few minutes yesterday were massive.

Dmas
28-11-2021, 05:48 PM

Think some fans had already begun the 'voting with your feet' part of persuading the board his time was up, a defeat yesterday probably would have been the final straw for a lot more

Since452
28-11-2021, 05:50 PM
I would agree, he had credit at the club, but we were on a terrible run of league form, and let's be honest, the football hasn't been great to watch. It's Sevco on Wednesday. What would have happened had we lost yesterday and then gone to seven straight defeats against Der Hun? Those last few minutes yesterday were massive.

They were but I think last Sunday was a bigger moment for him. That was huge.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2021, 05:51 PM
If yer auntie had baws and all that.

I'm 100% sure he's lost some folk and will never get them back, they cant wait to post on here whenever we lose a match. The board know what they have in Ross, and know how good he's been and what he's building.

Hibernia&Alba
28-11-2021, 06:02 PM
They were but I think last Sunday was a bigger moment for him. That was huge.

Nae trophy for winning the semi-final, and cup ties are unpredictable. The league is the priority and we had been struggling. I'm hoping those two late goals yesterday prove a turning point now. We can go into the Sevco games under far less pressure.

BILLYHIBS
28-11-2021, 06:26 PM
Nope

B.H.F.C
28-11-2021, 06:55 PM
Thought it was a weird atmosphere amongst our support yesterday.

Had a real feeling of apathy about it for the most part with very little reaction, positive or negative, to anything. It might have just been because everyone was absolutely freezing and it obviously changed a bit due to the fairly dramatic finish but my mate mentioned it before the game had even started saying it just felt like there was a total malaise.

December is a big month for him/us and it’s all going to hinge on the cup final for many, rightly or wrongly.

Ronniekirk
28-11-2021, 06:56 PM
It’s well documented we have gone through a really difficult time results wise The first real losing streak under Ross
The reasons for this are well documented on other threads
But we all knew playing three games a week would be a big ask given our circumstances
The reality is we are in a Cup Final and back in the top six despite our losing run
Ross will be backed in January as with a few key additions and a fit ,suspension free squad on form ,we are capable of putting a winning run together
But December could still see ups and downs All we can do is back the Team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
28-11-2021, 07:01 PM
If yer auntie had baws and all that.

I'm 100% sure he's lost some folk and will never get them back, they cant wait to post on here whenever we lose a match. The board know what they have in Ross, and know how good he's been and what he's building.

I agree with you, Gary.

He's a very intelligent and competent manager. We've had a bad run recently but we're a work in progress and blips will happen.

Despite recent results, we're still potentially in a decent position in the league, important players are committing their immediate future to Hibs, and the squad will be strengthened in a few weeks.

However, if the team aren't playing silky sexy football every week and winning, the fans with no resilience and who think everything is disposable, will criticise and call for his head.

I wanted rid of Heckingbottom, not just because of the poor performances and results, but because he had no credible long term vision or plan.

Jack Ross has got both and, until the recent blip, his team were getting results.

Brightside
28-11-2021, 07:03 PM
Think some fans had already begun the 'voting with your feet' part of persuading the board his time was up, a defeat yesterday probably would have been the final straw for a lot more

Hence why fans shouldn’t run football teams.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2021, 07:05 PM
I agree with you, Gary.

He's a very intelligent and competent manager. We've had a bad run recently but we're a work in progress and blips will happen.

Despite recent results, we're still potentially in a decent position in the league, important players are committing their immediate future to Hibs, and the squad will be strengthened in a few weeks.

However, if the team aren't playing silky sexy football every week and winning, the fans with no resilience and who think everything is disposable, will criticise and call for his head.

I wanted rid of Heckingbottom, not just because of the poor performances and results, but because he had no credible long term vision or plan.

Jack Ross has got both and, until the recent blip, his team were getting results.

I agree with every word. :agree:

B.H.F.C
28-11-2021, 07:06 PM
Hence why fans shouldn’t run football teams.

They do fund football teams though, so their opinion is pretty important.

Iggy Pope
28-11-2021, 07:06 PM

Had a real feeling of apathy about it for the most part with very little reaction, positive or negative, to anything. It might have just been because everyone was absolutely freezing and it obviously changed a bit due to the fairly dramatic finish but my mate mentioned it before the game had even started saying it just felt like there was a total malaise.

December is a big month for him/us and it’s all going to hinge on the cup final for many, rightly or wrongly.

There was a fair bit of apathy first half it’s true. Our disallowed goal followed by their scrappy goal seemed to have folk resigned. Couple of half hearted attempts amidst a load of possession, a Gullan corner that flew so badly wrong Hanlon just turned and run back up the park. It wasn’t met with any adverse reaction at all, an acceptance.
2nd half was entirely different.

Hibernia&Alba
28-11-2021, 07:10 PM
I agree with you, Gary.

They will demand to be competitive in a very weak league. That's reasonable, isn't it?

By the way, I'm not Ross out, but form has been worrying.

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2021, 07:11 PM
Nae trophy for winning the semi-final, and cup ties are unpredictable. The league is the priority and we had been struggling.

This almost the exact opposite to the argument that was being made before last Sunday.

Hibernia&Alba
28-11-2021, 07:15 PM
This almost the exact opposite to the argument that was being made before last Sunday.

League form has to be priority. Cup runs are a lovely bonus, but the league is the core of the season. We reached a cup final last time we were relegated; I think we would all have preferred to keep SPL status.

CapitalGreen
28-11-2021, 07:23 PM
League form has to be priority. Cup runs are a lovely bonus, but the league is the core of the season. We reached a cup final last time we were relegated; I think we would all have preferred to keep SPL status.

Did we?

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2021, 07:25 PM

I agree - was told 3rd place wasn’t an achievement and the cup(s) let us down.

Diclonius
28-11-2021, 07:26 PM
Yup, we're winning the league now.

Iggy Pope
28-11-2021, 07:28 PM

I think Raith Rovers and Hearts pumped us out that cup season.

Hibernia&Alba
28-11-2021, 07:38 PM
I think Raith Rovers and Hearts pumped us out that cup season.

Aye, it was 2014 we went down. I try to block those years from my memory. Brutal :greengrin

Iggy Pope
28-11-2021, 07:41 PM
Aye, it was the year after we went down. I try to block those years from my memory. Brutal :greengrin

Wouldn’t swap the cup run a couple of years later for league form either.

Hibbyradge
28-11-2021, 07:45 PM
They will demand to be competitive in a very weak league. That's reasonable, isn't it?

By the way, I'm not Ross out, but form has been worrying.

We are competitive. We're also in a cup final but people were calling for him to go.

Hibernia&Alba
28-11-2021, 08:07 PM
Wouldn’t swap the cup run a couple of years later for league form either.

True, but 2016 was a unique experience for every fan. In the main, league form is the crux of the season, and a club our size must not only be in the SPL, but also do okay. Of course there will be ups and downs, but we mustn't find ourselves in relegation trouble again. Had we been looking at seven consecutive league defeats, Jack Ross would have been in a very bad place. We now have some of the pressure relieved for The Rangers game. Let's hope those final ten minutes yesterday are a catalyst for the rest of the league season.

Paul1642
28-11-2021, 08:13 PM

Depends if you win it or not. I will always remember our 2007 CIS cup win. I couldn’t tell you if we came 3rd or 10th in the league that year.

green day
28-11-2021, 10:01 PM

Not sure where we put third place in the trophy cabinet though.....

I would accept winning a cup double this year and being 9th, frankly.

Lancs Harp
28-11-2021, 10:04 PM

Hearts have a MASSIVE trophy cabinet for winning the league in September, perhaps we should ask them :wink::greengrin

Wilson
28-11-2021, 11:18 PM

I suppose most would. We don't win the cup enough for that not to be acceptable.

I don't know why we always have to boil it down to one or the other. Hibs are one of the bigger fish in a small pond. We have to be aiming for league form, cup form, and for a run in Europe.

I fancy that if we're consistently good in the league and learning how to progress in Europe then we'll have built a team good enough to cope with domestic honours. I'd sooner aim for that than for being a good domestic cup team masking poor league form.

28-11-2021, 11:21 PM
Tough one this season with the benefits a 3rd place finish could bring to the football club.

Just_Jimmy
29-11-2021, 01:08 AM
I doubt it, he's already proven he's a good manager.So had Ferguson. This idea that Utd appointed some novice then gave him unlimited time is a modern myth.

They appointed a manager with a superb track record, he won a European trophy with Aberdeen and is still the last non old firm manager to deliver a title in Scotland.

He earned the utd job and had to perform to keep it.

That said, you know all that and Ferguson and Ross' situations have nothing in common.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

ElginHibbie
29-11-2021, 01:21 AM
Tough one this season with the benefits a 3rd place finish could bring to the football club.

I’ve not looked into it but presuming better European places this season? In that case go to 3rd if cup is won by 1st or 2nd?

Though UEFA might just move the goalposts last minute like they did for cup winner place St Johnstone got

Hibernia&Alba
29-11-2021, 01:32 AM
So had Ferguson. This idea that Utd appointed some novice then gave him unlimited time is a modern myth.

They appointed a manager with a superb track record, he won a European trophy with Aberdeen and is still the last non old firm manager to deliver a title in Scotland.

He earned the utd job and had to perform to keep it.

That said, you know all that and Ferguson and Ross' situations have nothing in common.

Of course that's correct, but, in the context of a pivotal match at their respective clubs, might yesterday prove just as significant for Ross at Hibs? Had we lost yesterday and suffered a sixth straight loss, I think he would have been staring down the barrel. It isn't any comparison as mangers, rather it's the significance of the game.

Just_Jimmy
29-11-2021, 03:43 AM
Of course that's correct, but, in the context of a pivotal match at their respective clubs, might yesterday prove just as significant for Ross at Hibs? Had we lost yesterday and suffered a sixth straight loss, I think he would have been staring down the barrel. It isn't any comparison as mangers, rather it's the significance of the game.Quite possible in that it'll buy him months maybe a year or so if he keeps delivering results and doesn't want to leave. It'll just be that though, management is simply different from Ferguson. I doubt even Utd will find another manager to do 15-20 years and sustained success. However much they keep longing for it. However, it certainly felt a significant result and I hope Ross can push on. The cup final is huge, if he wins he's up there as one of the most successful we've had given his 3rd place and hampden appearances. if he loses it'll depend massively on the nature of the loss but I fear there will be those who will hound him out.

Yorkshire HFC
29-11-2021, 05:27 AM
They do fund football teams though, so their opinion is pretty important.

Well, I hope the Hibs board don't take any notice of what's said on here.

Running a business is very different from voicing opinions when you don't have to take any responsibility for the outcome.

JimBHibees
29-11-2021, 05:47 AM

From some of the support

scotiaf
29-11-2021, 06:04 AM
I don’t think he would have been anywhere near the sack, well maybe if he lost another 4 on the bounce.

B.H.F.C
29-11-2021, 06:37 AM
Well, I hope the Hibs board don't take any notice of what's said on here.

Running a business is very different from voicing opinions when you don't have to take any responsibility for the outcome.

I don’t think they’ll be reading hibs.net, but the number of seats occupied at ER will play a part in their thinking I’m sure.

matty_f
29-11-2021, 07:47 AM
From some of the support

:agree:

HibeeHibernian4
29-11-2021, 08:00 AM
Nae trophy for winning the semi-final, and cup ties are unpredictable. The league is the priority and we had been struggling. I'm hoping those two late goals yesterday prove a turning point now. We can go into the Sevco games under far less pressure.

The league is not the priority for Hibs and never will be. Six cups in over 140 years and you think we can say "no thanks we will focus on the league"? Laughable really.

superfurryhibby
29-11-2021, 08:08 AM
The league is not the priority for Hibs and never will be. Six cups in over 140 years and you think we can say "no thanks we will focus on the league"? Laughable really.

The League is where our season ticket sales are generated, that forms a substantial part of our income and is the financial foundation of the club. Attendances and season ticket sales are down and that hits the us hard.

Ross and Hibs desperately needed a victory on Saturday. Gordon has invested a lot of money in Hibs and he is no doubt has expectations that we perform to a certain standard, in League and Cup.

Fergus52
29-11-2021, 08:10 AM
I’ve not looked into it but presuming better European places this season? In that case go to 3rd if cup is won by 1st or 2nd?

Though UEFA might just move the goalposts last minute like they did for cup winner place St Johnstone got

Nah that can't happen - the access list has already been published for next season.

What happened this year was people assuming that they would fill up the "empty" qualification space from there being no conference league winner in the same way they usually do when the Europa League winner has already qualified for champions League for example.

29-11-2021, 08:17 AM

What is the priority then?

WestStandWillie
29-11-2021, 08:40 AM
"Fergie moment" has tae be one of the most overused football clichés out there.

29-11-2021, 08:47 AM
"Fergie moment" has tae be one of the most overused football clichés out there.

I did think that myself. And we have a manager that loves to speak in clichés.

In any case, if it was to be a proper "Fergie moment" Jack Ross would go on to win the League Cup.

superfurryhibby
29-11-2021, 09:24 AM
I did think that myself. And we have a manager that loves to speak in clichés.

In any case, if it was to be a proper "Fergie moment" Jack Ross would go on to win the League Cup.

All football managers speak in cliches, I wouldn't be too eager to start counting that against Jack Ross. He's pretty articulate and communicates well enough. His conversational abilities are not high on my list of priorities when discussing the manager.

Hibbyradge
29-11-2021, 10:28 AM
All football managers speak in cliches, I wouldn't be too eager to start counting that against Jack Ross. He's pretty articulate and communicates well enough. His conversational abilities are not high on my list of priorities when discussing the manager.

I agree. No-one, be that a manager, player or fan, is cliché free when talking about football.

I actually think JR is one of the least clichétastic managers in Scotland.

Funny old game, innit...

WeeRussell
29-11-2021, 12:42 PM
I agree. No-one, be that a manager, player or fan, is cliché free when talking about football.

I actually think JR is one of the least clichétastic managers in Scotland.

Funny old game, innit...

Jack Ross speaks well. But it would be a rare thing indeed for 90274 to post without having a dig at our manager, warranted or not.

Keith_M
29-11-2021, 01:02 PM

I mentioned that in one of my now regular 'at game whinges' on the match day thread. There was hardly a peep out of most of the fans in main stand, despite how well we played only six days earlier at Hampden.

Some of the fans in there (obviously not all) actually booed the team off at half-time, despite the fact that we'd dominated the game and had a goal wrongly disallowed. The atmosphere then didn't really pick up until late in the game.

Loads of them then buggered off as soon as the final whistle went, not even applauding the team off the pitch, which they richly deserved.

He's here!
29-11-2021, 01:11 PM
How things can change very quickly. January 1990 and it was widely reported Alex Ferguson was one game away from the sack, in a cup tie at Nottingham Forest. He won the game and the rest is history. Yesterday Hibs were ten minutes from defeat against ten men, following five league defeats on the spin. Had we lost, I'm sure many of us (myself included) would have said the club seriously need to think about a change. We pulled it out of the fire, which will do a great deal for team morale. The league win came just days after reaching a cup final. Suddenly it all looks much brighter again.

Fine margins can make the world of difference. Perhaps we will look back and say those ten minutes yesterday made all the difference to Ross's time at Hibs. If he wins the final, he will always be a Hibs hero. He must have been the most relieved man in Scotland yesterday.

I don't think the situation really compares with Ferguson's, who had been at Man U a few years and was yet to prove he was the man to turn things around. Ross has by and large already done a good job at Hibs in a relatively short space of time, never failing to reach at least the semi-finals of every cup competition (correct me if I'm wrong), a third place finish and Europe etc. I think it would be more accurate to say this was the first spell of poor form where he'd failed to arrest the slump after couple of games (as he's done previously when we've had a sticky patch). Had it gone on much longer it's fair to suggest he'd have been under pressure, but there's no way he'd have been sacked prior to a cup final IMHO.

What WOULD be wonderful would be if he could emulate Ferguson's subsequent success but that might a tad optimistic...

HibeeHibernian4
29-11-2021, 01:14 PM
What is the priority then?

Well which moments am I going to fondly remember when I look back on my time supporting Hibs? The run of the mill 5th place finishes or the cups? We should be aiming for the cups (and Europe nights) as our priority. Naturally the two go hand in hand quite a lot. A good league team should equal a good cup team. But that isn't always the case and if its not then give me a good cup team please.

Mikey_1875
29-11-2021, 01:22 PM
I mentioned that in one of my now regular 'at game whinges' on the match day thread. There was hardly a peep out of most of the fans in main stand, despite how well we played only six days earlier at Hampden.

Some of the fans in there (obviously not all) actually booed the team off at half-time, despite the fact that we'd dominated the game and had a goal wrongly disallowed. The atmosphere then didn't really pick up until late in the game.

Loads of them then buggered off as soon as the final whistle went, not even applauding the team off the pitch, which they richly deserved.

I thought the odd/lack of atmosphere at the game was mainly due to the fans being sparsely split over two stands and also because there was a large amount of families at the game taking advantage of the offer (not saying that’s a bad thing). The fact they were probably all frozen solid at FT maybe contributed to them making a swift exit.

I certainly never took it as any sort of slight against the team or our current form. Having said that, the boos at half time definitely weren’t from the 5 and 6 year olds :greengrin

Before the game I feared there wouldn’t be much on offer on the park to capture the imagination for the young ones but I’m sure they all left delighted by the end!

ahibby
29-11-2021, 01:32 PM
Inheriting a shambles and turning it in to a 3rd place and a cup final last season proved he's a good manager. He had money in the bank to see him through the injury/Covid crisis. The players don't look like players that have lost any faith in the manager. Quite the opposite.

Would like to see improvement in home performances. So far again this season our best stuff being played away from home

The 90+2
29-11-2021, 01:33 PM
I still think he's the right manager to take us forward - January is massive for him.

I can't think of many that may take over, maybe Alex Neil. The Hecky thread shows be careful what we wish for - although punting Lennon was the correct thing to do.

29-11-2021, 01:37 PM
Well which moments am I going to fondly remember when I look back on my time supporting Hibs? The run of the mill 5th place finishes or the cups? We should be aiming for the cups (and Europe nights) as our priority. Naturally the two go hand in hand quite a lot. A good league team should equal a good cup team. But that isn't always the case and if its not then give me a good cup team please.

We'd have to win the Scottish Cup then? That would provide something memorable along with European Football. Its not often the two go together, a cup win and a high league finish, which is what we'd need for your scenario if we win the League Cup.

I think fans would accept a League Cup win this season along with a run of the mill league finish, however if we don't win a trophy then it must be a Top 4 finish.

Hibernia&Alba
29-11-2021, 05:47 PM

I can only speak for myself, but the league is always the top priority for me. Cup runs provide great memories, but consistency in the league is what good sides are built upon. You can reach a cup final with the help of a kind a draw against lower league opposition. League position is the indicator of where a club is at; it's ninety per cent of the season's games. Remember those three horrific years in the Championship, playing teams like Dumbarton and Alloa every week. Never again.

Also, I'm still of the opinion the win on Saturday could prove very important for the manager. Had we lost against ten men, making it six on the spin, any manager would be under real pressure. It's Rangers next, so it could easily have gone to seven. How many successive defeats is too many - ten? Twelve? Those last ten minutes at St Johnstone were huge, in my humble opinion. It makes a big difference going into Wednesday.

Just_Jimmy
30-11-2021, 07:01 AM
I can only speak for myself, but the league is always the top priority for me. Cup runs provide great memories, but consistency in the league is what good sides are built upon. You can reach a cup final with the help of a kind a draw against lower league opposition. League position is the indicator of where a club is at; it's ninety per cent of the season's games. Remember those three horrific years in the Championship, playing teams like Dumbarton and Alloa every week. Never again.

Also, I'm still of the opinion the win on Saturday could prove very important for the manager. Had we lost against ten men, making it six on the spin, any manager would be under real pressure. It's Rangers next, so it could easily have gone to seven. How many successive defeats is too many - ten? Twelve? Those last ten minutes at St Johnstone were huge, in my humble opinion. It makes a big difference going into Wednesday.On the other hand, although I care about hibs winning and certain games such as a Derby mean more, I'd always take a cup run over third place.

I would finish second bottom and win a cup if it was that or third and out the cups.

You mention the lower divisions but who even thinks about that when they think about Stubbs time or that team? They think cup final.

I'm 36 and I've seen us win 2 (technically 3) cups. In a tiny set up like Scotland that is garbage. Third gets you nout, a gimmicky European spot which lasts a game or two against a pish team that's usually slightly less pish than us and we're out.

Cup winners lasts forever. The Scottish Cup and the 07 League Cup are my greatest memories as a Hibs supporter, surrounded by friends and family and thousands of other hibs fans and belting out Sunshine on Leith as every other club in the country watched on wishing it was them. Winning at Ibrox, tynecastle etc are brilliant and I love it, but I'd swap any one of them for a cup win this season.

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2021, 07:39 AM
On the other hand, although I care about hibs winning and certain games such as a Derby mean more, I'd always take a cup run over third place.

I would finish second bottom and win a cup if it was that or third and out the cups.

You mention the lower divisions but who even thinks about that when they think about Stubbs time or that team? They think cup final.

I'm 36 and I've seen us win 2 (technically 3) cups. In a tiny set up like Scotland that is garbage. Third gets you nout, a gimmicky European spot which lasts a game or two against a pish team that's usually slightly less pish than us and we're out.

Cup winners lasts forever. The Scottish Cup and the 07 League Cup are my greatest memories as a Hibs supporter, surrounded by friends and family and thousands of other hibs fans and belting out Sunshine on Leith as every other club in the country watched on wishing it was them. Winning at Ibrox, tynecastle etc are brilliant and I love it, but I'd swap any one of them for a cup win this season.

Can you imagine the misery here if we were finishing 2nd bottom every year, why would people purchase a season ticket for that?

Yes a cup win would be memorable, but so would the misery we'd have each and every week. And of course we'd see a significant drop in money coming through the door, so derby wins would be fewer if any, and losing games most weeks would be worth every minute because we were winning the league cup.

Na, not for me.

Just_Jimmy
30-11-2021, 08:23 AM
Can you imagine the misery here if we were finishing 2nd bottom every year, why would people purchase a season ticket for that?

Yes a cup win would be memorable, but so would the misery we'd have each and every week. And of course we'd see a significant drop in money coming through the door, so derby wins would be fewer if any, and losing games most weeks would be worth every minute because we were winning the league cup.

Na, not for me.I didn't say every season. Of course the ideal is win the league, and both cups. Since we play in a two horse league that's 3rd place and 2 cups.

However, given the choice between third or a cup, I'd always choose the cup.

30-11-2021, 08:43 AM
Does winning the League Cup and finishing 6th do as much for the club as finishing 3rd this season and no cup wins?

Also worth noting that prize money for the Scottish Cup is less than the League Cup now.

It really is a joke setup in Scotland.

Fergus52
30-11-2021, 09:53 AM
Does winning the League Cup and finishing 6th do as much for the club as finishing 3rd this season and no cup wins?

Also worth noting that prize money for the Scottish Cup is less than the League Cup now.

It really is a joke setup in Scotland.

Depends on who wins the Scottish.

If one of the top 3 does then third place in the league gets guaranteed group stage football in Europe. Which would be massive in terms of income generated through sponsorship, TV, prize money etc.

Looking like it will be Hearts just now which would be disastrous for us - would massively increase the already large financial disparity between the two clubs.

mjhibby
30-11-2021, 11:34 AM
Depends on who wins the Scottish.

If one of the top 3 does then third place in the league gets guaranteed group stage football in Europe. Which would be massive in terms of income generated through sponsorship, TV, prize money etc.

Looking like it will be Hearts just now which would be disastrous for us - would massively increase the already large financial disparity between the two clubs.

Way too early to predict anything yet. Hearts have been winning despite themselves and have been fairly injury free. We've no had our problems to seek yet win our two games in hand and we are three behind them. Plus Mueller and tait signing in January plus I'm sure a centre half and another wide player. Winning the league Cup is huge in terms of money and we are likely to get close to a £1m from the cup run. Plus of course merchandise sales if we win it. If we get a bit more luck with injuries and refs cock ups I'm sure we'll not be far away from third.

BoomtownHibees
30-11-2021, 11:47 AM

Na, not for me.

I reckon a cup win would boost season ticket sales more than a 3rd place finish however that may be because they are so few and far between. If we were winning a cup every year then it may be different

blackpoolhibs
30-11-2021, 01:17 PM
I reckon a cup win would boost season ticket sales more than a 3rd place finish however that may be because they are so few and far between. If we were winning a cup every year then it may be different

I dont think it would, if we were serving up dross most weeks, 5 wins in the cup wont stop people moaning like buggery, and not bothering with a season ticket.

GRA
30-11-2021, 01:23 PM

Have a look at the attendances for the two years pre and two years post 2016 cup win. Night and day. That emphasises the potential importance of a cup win.

I'd be willing to sacrifice a single 'poor' season for a cup win. Who remembers in 1991 and 2007 that we were merely mid-table fodder? For 2016 we finished 3rd in the Championship and didn't even get promoted! A sacrifice worth it for one season to end that hoodoo.

Fergus52
30-11-2021, 01:29 PM
Way too early to predict anything yet. Hearts have been winning despite themselves and have been fairly injury free. We've no had our problems to seek yet win our two games in hand and we are three behind them. Plus Mueller and tait signing in January plus I'm sure a centre half and another wide player. Winning the league Cup is huge in terms of money and we are likely to get close to a £1m from the cup run. Plus of course merchandise sales if we win it. If we get a bit more luck with injuries and refs cock ups I'm sure we'll not be far away from third.

Definitely, I still think we have a good chance for third, just that Hearts are looking like the most likely just now.

Hibernia&Alba
30-11-2021, 01:32 PM
Have a look at the attendances for the two years pre and two years post 2016 cup win. Night and day. That emphasises the potential importance of a cup win.

I'd be willing to sacrifice a single 'poor' season for a cup win. Who remembers in 1991 and 2007 that we were merely mid-table fodder? For 2016 we finished 3rd in the Championship and didn't even get promoted! A sacrifice worth it for one season to end that hoodoo.

Aye, but one would have to compare like with like. I think most fans would gladly take intermittent mediocre league finishes for a trophy; but that isn't comparing like with like. It's choosing between a superb occasion (cup win) with a mediocre one. But who would exchange another relegation for a cup win; a superb occasion for a disastrous one? I wouldn't. A club our size in the Scottish game should aim for long term consistency and not just hope for an occasional cup run, IMHO.

greenlex
30-11-2021, 01:39 PM
Definitely, I still think we have a good chance for third, just that Hearts are looking like the most likely just now.
Not so sure about Hearts to be honest. They aren’t world beaters. They’ve “only” won 5 out of 13 games. Anything can happen.

BoomtownHibees
30-11-2021, 03:48 PM
I dont think it would, if we were serving up dross most weeks, 5 wins in the cup wont stop people moaning like buggery, and not bothering with a season ticket.

We remained in the Championship following our last cup win and look at the spike in season tickets that year

hibby rae
30-11-2021, 03:52 PM

Normally yes, and if the cup win is the Scottish yes, but I wouldn't trade 3rs for the League Cup this year.

Group stage Euro football is far more important, if that is the 3rd place prize.