PDA

View Full Version : Scott Allan

JohnM1875
28-11-2021, 04:32 AM
Wasn't on earlier so not sure why the other thread was deleted. But we don't win that game today if Allan doesn't come on. What a performance!

Starts the second goal with a wee backheel flick in our half and ends it with a pass no one else in this league makes.

keep the faith
28-11-2021, 07:31 AM
He should only ever play for hibs. Let's hope we can get a contract agreed.

Pagan Hibernia
28-11-2021, 07:37 AM
It will be a sad day when he leaves Hibs for the third and final time. It would also be a huge mistake to let this hugely gifted game-changing footballer walk away off to another club for free.

come on Jack get that contract sorted!

Nicho87
28-11-2021, 07:38 AM
Let’s hope he wants to stay

He would always be one of the first names on the team sheet for me cause I personally rate him that high

This is the type of player I want to watch at hibs

GibbytheHibby2
28-11-2021, 07:41 AM
This is the type of player I want to watch at hibs

spot on. I don’t think Jack Ross rates him unfortunately.

Allant1981
28-11-2021, 07:44 AM

Yet has started him quite a few times and brings him on when needing a bit of a spark

JimBHibees
28-11-2021, 07:45 AM

Got to take into account his medical issues however that game yesterday was exactly the game for Scott needing a goal against a team sitting in. Some of the other games not so much. Wonderful player but also a big onus on Hibs and Jack Ross to be careful with Scott. Assume he will want to play so will be interesting what happens in Jan.

JimBHibees
28-11-2021, 07:45 AM
Yet has started him quite a few times and brings him on when needing a bit of a spark

Yes don't see much evidence he doesn't rate Scott.

Nicho87
28-11-2021, 07:51 AM
The thing I don’t get is

Ross started him a few times before the rangers game and was getting a return as usual with assists

He was then subbed at ibrox after porteous sent off and was never really given a look in there after

I don’t understand how it goes from playing to just cut out all together.

Again I’d be giving a year contract minimum but Scotty might be at an age where he thinks he could join a st Mirren type and be guaranteed first team football.

JimBHibees
28-11-2021, 07:54 AM
The thing I don’t get is

Ross started him a few times before the rangers game and was getting a return as usual with assists

He was then subbed at ibrox after porteous sent off and was never really given a look in there after

I don’t understand how it goes from playing to just cut out all together.

Again I’d be giving a year contract minimum but Scotty might be at an age where he thinks he could join a st Mirren type and be guaranteed first team football.

He started against United and was very poor and subbed at half time. Assume others like Campbell have impressed in training more and also give us more athleticism against certain opponents.

FilipinoHibs
28-11-2021, 07:57 AM
Looked fitter and sharper yesterday.

Rick Rude
28-11-2021, 07:58 AM
I think it's less about not rating him and more about not sure how to fit him into the team. I think Heckingbottom had the same issue.

His best position for me is how he played under Lennon. As part of a 3 man midfield but with little responsibility to track back or tackle. Unfortunately we don't have a McGinn and McGeouch behind him now who can deliver the workrate to make that work.

Reason Magennis and Campbell have played that position ahead of him despite less ability is that they will do the running and chasing.

JohnM1875
28-11-2021, 08:02 AM
I think it's less about not rating him and more about not sure how to fit him into the team. I think Heckingbottom had the same issue.

His best position for me is how he played under Lennon. As part of a 3 man midfield but with little responsibility to track back or tackle. Unfortunately we don't have a McGinn and McGeouch behind him now who can deliver the workrate to make that work.

Reason Magennis and Campbell have played that position ahead of him despite less ability is that they will do the running and chasing.

He could easily play that role with Newell and Doyle-Hayes behind him as they both sit deep.

superfurryhibby
28-11-2021, 08:03 AM
Looked fitter and sharper yesterday.

He was very lively and involved in all things creative once he came on. He’s looking a bit heavier than I’ve seen him before though. There’s definitely more ballast there.

Rick Rude
28-11-2021, 08:08 AM
He could easily play that role with Newell and Doyle-Hayes behind him as they both sit deep.

Maybe against some lesser teams but I don't think they're anywhere near good enough against the better ones or when they're a 2 up against a 3 man midfield.

Mikey_1875
28-11-2021, 08:09 AM
Excellent yesterday and shows he still can add value to this squad. The main difference in him coming on yesterday (and Murphy tbf) was that it gave us a lot more variety in attack where we could break them down through the middle or cut inside and drive towards the box.

Before that, although we were on top the attacks were getting a bit predictable with crosses coming in from wide areas and the centre halves lapping them up and i’m not sure we would have broke them down playing like that.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2021, 08:16 AM
Maybe against some lesser teams but I don't think they're anywhere near good enough against the better ones or when they're a 2 up against a 3 man midfield.

He’s hardly started a game but when he has it’s not as if the whole team collapses and we get overrun. Played up at Tannadice and we won. Then we were totally controlling the game at Ibrox with him in the team prior to the red card. Granted, he was hooked at home to Utd but you could have taken anyone off that day and it probably got worse once he was off if anything.

roo62
28-11-2021, 08:29 AM
Wasn't on earlier so not sure why the other thread was deleted. But we don't win that game today if Allan doesn't come on. What a performance!

Starts the second goal with a wee backheel flick in our half and ends it with a pass no one else in this league makes.
I agree but would suggest a pass no one else in the world would have made! Don't think Murphy was expecting it. Watching the highlights he did not signal for the pass, he was just "loitering" in that area and got the surprise of his life. Truly exceptional from Allan, brilliant vision and just a rare cameo of real quality match winning football we love to see from him.

wookie70
28-11-2021, 08:31 AM
Did well yesterday in a perfect game for him. We already had complete control 11 v 11 and even more so when they lost a man. Had already scored two goals and created lots of chances.

This would be the roll I saw for Scottie. Play him if we are throwing the dice. Yesterday was the enigma that was Allan. A good involvement for the first goal. A lovely flick in the build up to the second, great turn and then the final ball. I'm not convinced he was trying to pick Murphy out when you look at the positions of the players when he plays the pass Nisbet is making a run in front of Murphy. Doesn't matter though as it led to the winner. Have a look at some of his play when we didn't have the ball. A bouncing ball where he was easily the closest Hibs player and he just looked at it. Never really made any impression when we never had the ball. Yesterday that was fine though as we mostly had possession. He didn't give the ball away as much yesterday which makes a big difference to his value to the team.

roo62
28-11-2021, 08:39 AM
Did well yesterday in a perfect game for him. We already had complete control 11 v 11 and even more so when they lost a man. Had already scored two goals and created lots of chances.

This would be the roll I saw for Scottie. Play him if we are throwing the dice. Yesterday was the enigma that was Allan. A good involvement for the first goal. A lovely flick in the build up to the second, great turn and then the final ball. I'm not convinced he was trying to pick Murphy out when you look at the positions of the players when he plays the pass Nisbet is making a run in front of Murphy. Doesn't matter though as it led to the winner. Have a look at some of his play when we didn't have the ball. A bouncing ball where he was easily the closest Hibs player and he just looked at it. Never really made any impression when we never had the ball. Yesterday that was fine though as we mostly had possession. He didn't give the ball away as much yesterday which makes a big difference to his value to the team.
Fair points Wookie. You may be right about the intent on his pass but in my head it was a worldy to Murphy all day long lol.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2021, 08:48 AM

We maybe had the control of the game but we didn’t have that composure and/or quality in the final third much like the Ross County game.

I think the things he apparently doesn’t do are blown out of proportion and that has been shown in the limited number of games he’s started.

Booked4Being-Ugly
28-11-2021, 08:49 AM
Fair points Wookie. You may be right about the intent on his pass but in my head it was a worldy to Murphy all day long lol.

He absolutely meant to pick out Murphy. Murphy knew what he was doing as well, stepping back to give Allan another option. Both of them have good football brains.

Keith_M
28-11-2021, 08:51 AM
It was nice to hear some of the fans behind the goal singing his name at the end.

He only makes occasional appearances but most of them are quite memorable.

Eyrie
28-11-2021, 09:19 AM
Allan is a starter for us when we're facing a team that will sit in and concede possession, because neither Newell not Doyle-Hayes can unlock a defence with a pass. He's also a good option to have on the bench if we're chasing the game.

I wouldn't start him against the Ugly Sisters or any other game where graft rather than skill is required.

So I'd give him a new deal that reflects that usage. Probably be less than he is currently on, but it will still be more than he would get elsewhere in Scotland.

jeffers
28-11-2021, 09:26 AM
His lack of defensive ability keeps being used as a stick to beat him. As if he was ever great defensively. It’s not and never has been something he’s been good at it. What he is good at is picking a pass that his colleagues who regularly play instead of him could only dream of. A pass that can set up a goal. Play him and focus on what he can do, not what he can’t do.

As for Ross rating him, you don’t offer a player on loan to another side effectively ending their Hibs career if he’s someone you rate. Ross turns to him when he’s needing a bit of inspiration, a last resort. Yesterday he should have been on at HT. Instead Ross prefers workers, guys like JDH, Newell or Campbell. All decent enough players, but none of them are likely to pick a pass like Scott Allan, set up goals, score themselves on more than a rare occasion.

Give him starts in games, allow him to get a run in the side. Focus on what he brings to the team, not his weaknesses.

keep the faith
28-11-2021, 09:27 AM
His lack of defensive ability keeps being used as a stick to beat him. As if he was ever great defensively. It’s not and never has been something he’s been good at it. What he is good at is picking a pass that his colleagues who regularly play instead of him could only dream of. A pass that can set up a goal. Play him and focus on what he can do, not what he can’t do.

As for Ross rating him, you don’t offer a player on loan to another side effectively ending their Hibs career if he’s someone you rate. Ross turns to him when he’s needing a bit of inspiration, a last resort. Yesterday he should have been on at HT. Instead Ross prefers workers, guys like JDH, Newell or Campbell. All decent enough players, but none of them are likely to pick a pass like Scott Allan, set up goals, score themselves on more than a rare occasion.

Give him starts in games, allow him to get a run in the side. Focus on what he brings to the team, not his weaknesses.

This. 100%

Rick Rude
28-11-2021, 09:47 AM
He’s hardly started a game but when he has it’s not as if the whole team collapses and we get overrun. Played up at Tannadice and we won. Then we were totally controlling the game at Ibrox with him in the team prior to the red card. Granted, he was hooked at home to Utd but you could have taken anyone off that day and it probably got worse once he was off if anything.

Game against Utd he played left wing I think. Great that night but not sure I'd wanna see him out there too often.

For me he's our most talented player but just don't think our last two managers have found the way to get the best out of him and the team at the same time. FWIW I think we have a similar issue with Murphy. Super talented player who should walk into the team but don't think we look as comfortable with the formation we have to play to have 2 wingers on the park.

MWHIBBIES
28-11-2021, 09:48 AM

Ross clearly rates Allan. He has always had him involved when hes been fit. Hes also probably far more knowledgable on how much Allan can contribute and if he was better off swapping him for another.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2021, 09:54 AM

Agree, particularly with that last bit. A midfield of Newell, JDH and Campbell won’t see us win games consistently IMO, because it doesn’t offer anywhere near enough in the final third. It’s about balance and we need to have someone who can do something a bit different (be it what Magennis was doing earlier in the season or what Allan has done when he’s on the pitch).

Vault Boy
28-11-2021, 09:55 AM
Happy birthday to Scott!

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-11-2021, 09:55 AM
Ideal circumstances yesterday for Scotty

One less man to press him/space to find the pass. His turn for the winner was outstanding

For me he's an impact player. He had a poor 15 mins when he came on up in Dingwall, but he came on for 20 yesterday and won us the game.

Ability will always be there but he clearly has a condition that impacts his body on a day to day basis.

Certainly worth another year if he's OK with a rotation role

jeffers
28-11-2021, 10:39 AM
Ross clearly rates Allan. He has always had him involved when hes been fit. Hes also probably far more knowledgable on how much Allan can contribute and if he was better off swapping him for another.

He clearly rates him but thought he was better off swapping him for another. To use a word you liked. Genius.

Callum_62
28-11-2021, 10:42 AM
He clearly rates him but thought he was better off swapping him for another. To use a word you liked. Genius.Maybe he just rated mcgrath more?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
28-11-2021, 10:42 AM
He clearly rates him but thought he was better off swapping him for another. To use a word you liked. Genius.

I rate Allan. I'd swap him for Messi.

Allans body has limited him a lot. If we could trade him for a similar level of player who could play every week, obviously we'd go for it. Thats not a case of us not rating Allan. Surely not that difficult to grasp?

WeeRussell
28-11-2021, 10:50 AM
Looks like the most gifted footballer in the squad every spell with us. Hopefully he’s given plenty more chances and his body allows him to show us that again and again this season. Would be a big help in climbing us back up that league. I’m sure the likes of Nisbet and Boyle will like to have him playing behind them too.

jeffers
28-11-2021, 10:54 AM
I rate Allan. I'd swap him for Messi.

Allans body has limited him a lot. If we could trade him for a similar level of player who could play every week, obviously we'd go for it. Thats not a case of us not rating Allan. Surely not that difficult to grasp?

That’s pure speculation on your part what Scott Allan can or can’t do. In the absence of any comments from Ross I’ll believe what the player himself said about his fitness.

I’ll clarify. Ross knows he’s a very talented player, he doesn’t rate those talents enough to play him regularly and drops him as soon as he has a poor half, whereas others are afforded that luxury. Is McGrath a similar player ? Suppose it depends how you define similar……

WeeRussell
28-11-2021, 10:56 AM
That’s pure speculation on your part what Scott Allan can or can’t do. In the absence of any comments from Ross I’ll believe what the player himself said about his fitness.

I’ll clarify. Ross knows he’s a very talented player, he doesn’t rate those talents enough to play him regularly and drops him as soon as he has a poor half, whereas others are afforded that luxury. Is McGrath a similar player ? Suppose it depends how you define similar……

It’s not speculation on MW’s part. It’s widely reported (including by Jack Ross, the club, and Scott Allan himself) that he suffered a serious scare and his condition needs monitored closely and managed carefully… and that it has been limiting him physically.

jeffers
28-11-2021, 10:58 AM
It’s not speculation on MW’s part. It’s widely reported (including by Jack Ross, the club, and Scott Allan himself) that he suffered a serious scare and his condition needs to monitored closely and managed carefully… and that it has been limiting him physically.

I’m aware of all that, but the player himself said he was the fittest he’d ever been once his condition was properly controlled.

bigwheel
28-11-2021, 11:02 AM
I’m aware of all that, but the player himself said he was the fittest he’d ever been once his condition was properly controlled.

We can see with our own eyes that Allan doesn’t have all the athletic attributes he had a few years ago. Doesn’t mean he can’t contribute , which he did at an amazing level yesterday.

Delighted for him

Allant1981
28-11-2021, 11:07 AM

He might be fit but clearly isnt able to be match fit all the time, huge difference

jeffers
28-11-2021, 11:14 AM
He might be fit but clearly isnt able to be match fit all the time, huge difference

Which you get by playing regularly……

EVENTUALLY
28-11-2021, 11:16 AM

Simple then. Get rid of Ross and sign up Allan. I would.

CMurdoch
28-11-2021, 11:16 AM
Without Allan and Murphy we wouldn't have won yesterday. Vision and ability instead of continually battering into the opposition.
St J had been playing for almost 30 minutes with 10 men when Scott came on and had been softened up and run ragged by Hibs.
Allan and Murphy were then able to come on and surgically take them apart which they did to great effect.
Both players were involved in what was a fantastic 1st goal and Allan's pass for Murphy for the 2nd was a wonder of vision, direction and pace, just out of reach of all the defenders.
He is definitely the man when there is space and time against 9 knackered outfield players but the next thing is to see whether he is viable as a 70 min sub against a full complement. Doidge robbed him of answering that on Wednesday night.
Jack Ross sees him every day in training, has access to all his running numbers etc and will therefore know what he and his body are capable of.
Happy 30th Birthday Scott Allan.

Northernhibee
28-11-2021, 11:17 AM
Ideal circumstances yesterday for Scotty

One less man to press him/space to find the pass. His turn for the winner was outstanding

For me he's an impact player. He had a poor 15 mins when he came on up in Dingwall, but he came on for 20 yesterday and won us the game.

Ability will always be there but he clearly has a condition that impacts his body on a day to day basis.

Certainly worth another year if he's OK with a rotation role

Precisely this, couldn’t put it better.

Scott Allan is a limited player but when conditions are right for him he runs rampant. When they’re not, he’s like a man down.

There’s no point throwing him into any game if he’s not going to make an impact.

Ardenttwo
28-11-2021, 11:19 AM
Maybe he just rated mcgrath more?

Any opinions on Mcgraths display yesterday Did we miss much on not getting him

B.H.F.C
28-11-2021, 11:20 AM

And he never will be unless he gets a decent amount of time on the pitch.

I agree with Jeffers that it’s a pretty straightforward case of the manager not wanting to play him (which he’s entitled to do if that’s how he sees it). For all that his fitness is being used as a reason for him not playing, he’s never been one to complete 90 minutes week in, week out anyway.

Iggy Pope
28-11-2021, 11:20 AM

Has all this not been done in the summer? Tiresome, move on man.

jeffers
28-11-2021, 11:23 AM
Has all this not been done in the summer? Tiresome, move on man.

Simple solution if you don’t like a thread. Don’t read it. Man.

Iggy Pope
28-11-2021, 11:24 AM

I’m enjoying most of the thread it’s not all about your posts. No thread is.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2021, 11:24 AM
Precisely this, couldn’t put it better.

Scott Allan is a limited player but when conditions are right for him he runs rampant. When they’re not, he’s like a man down.

There’s no point throwing him into any game if he’s not going to make an impact.

Limited? How’s that?

By this logic Newell or JDH, for example, must be limited as well because there’s elements of the game the don’t do. Or is it just that they have different attributes?

MWHIBBIES
28-11-2021, 11:27 AM

If you don't think diabetes, a heart condition and years of hardly playing will have limited Scott Allans fitness, potential and taken time off his career, you're barking.

He could be the fittest he's ever been, but he certainly isn't the fastest or most agile hes ever been.

If Ross had the choice between 2 players, similar level, but one didn't have those problems and was years younger, I think he'd be mental to not try to make the swap.

jeffers
28-11-2021, 11:28 AM
I’m enjoying most of the thread it’s not all about your posts. No thread is.

Where did I say it was ? Put me on ignore if you don’t like my posts.

Iggy Pope
28-11-2021, 11:33 AM
Where did I say it was ? Put me on ignore if you don’t like my posts.

I’m not bickering with you, I quoted your post you replied by telling me I should ignore the thread. Should I do that every time I see you contributing to a thread then?

Northernhibee
28-11-2021, 11:34 AM

How are you supposed to know if you like a thread without reading it?

Northernhibee
28-11-2021, 11:35 AM
Limited? How’s that?

By this logic Newell or JDH, for example, must be limited as well because there’s elements of the game the don’t do. Or is it just that they have different attributes?

Because he’s not a 90 minute every week player, doesn’t cope well with being pressed heavily or not having time to operate.

Iggy Pope
28-11-2021, 11:35 AM
Back on to track, there’s no doubt that any Hibby who witnessed Scott Allan yesterday was thrilled by his performance and that’s basically what Saturdays are about. I’ll leave the medical diagnoses to those that know better.

Callum_62
28-11-2021, 11:38 AM
Any opinions on Mcgraths display yesterday Did we miss much on not getting himHe played a brilliant pass I seen in the highlights - he certainly looks like would be a good addition - younger, more mobile with potential sell on

He scored a peach last week too

jeffers
28-11-2021, 11:40 AM
I’m not bickering with you, I quoted your post you replied by telling me I should ignore the thread. Should I do that every time I see you contributing to a thread then?

Seems very much like bickering to me. If not I expect to see you commenting on every thread where something is brought up that was discussed previously. It happens all the time on this forum. And no, put me on ignore once is all you need to do.

I’m not sure what value you have added to this thread with your comments. I don’t agree with mwhibbies posts, he doesn’t agree with me, but I respect his right to post his opinion . Both of us have made points that have been previously made though.

jeffers
28-11-2021, 11:42 AM
How are you supposed to know if you like a thread without reading it?

It’s hardly a stretch to know what direction any thread on Scott Allan is going to go.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2021, 11:46 AM
Because he’s not a 90 minute every week player, doesn’t cope well with being pressed heavily or not having time to operate.

Scott Allan copes with being pressed no problem at all. He’ll take the ball anywhere on the park. They tried to press him yesterday and he just popped the ball round the corner in the lead up to the first and sent the boy the wrong direction for the second - when he looked to press him.

He’s not perfect and obviously doesn’t have certain attributes but other players don’t have his attributes. It’s a team game though and we need to find a balance.

Lago
28-11-2021, 11:47 AM
:top marks
Seems very much like bickering to me. If not I expect to see you commenting on every thread where something is brought up that was discussed previously. It happens all the time on this forum. And no, put me on ignore once is all you need to do.

I’m not sure what value you have added to this thread with your comments. I don’t agree with mwhibbies posts, he doesn’t agree with me, but I respect his right to post his opinion . Both of us have made points that have been previously made though.

Iggy Pope
28-11-2021, 11:51 AM

I could put you on ignore easily enough but I’m not likely to start ignoring entire threads (as you suggested) in the event you are retreading old ground on them. Which you are in this one, you’ve taken it right back to summer deadline day when it was covered to death and then some.
Nor do I need lessons from you on how the forum works my friend and whatever you ‘expect’ is in your head.

Iggy Pope
28-11-2021, 11:52 AM

Following me around again?

jeffers
28-11-2021, 11:59 AM
I could put you on ignore easily enough but I’m not likely to start ignoring entire threads (as you suggested) in the event you are retreading old ground on them. Which you are in this one, you’ve taken it right back to summer deadline day when it was covered to death and then some.
Nor do I need lessons from you on how the forum works my friend and whatever you ‘expect’ is in your head.

As I have stated Scott Allan threads typically go off in the same direction and rarely does anything new get brought up. But of the points that had been already covered you only felt the need to comment on mine.

Seems like you do need some lessons on how the forum works if you find me covering old ground so troublesome. Man.

bigwheel
28-11-2021, 12:08 PM
Happy birthday Scott Allan. Delighted to see you strutting your stuff you yesterday [emoji119][emoji119][emoji119].

Iggy Pope
28-11-2021, 12:15 PM
As I have stated Scott Allan threads typically go off in the same direction and rarely does anything new get brought up. But of the points that had been already covered you only felt the need to comment on mine.

Seems like you do need some lessons on how the forum works if you find me covering old ground so troublesome. Man.

Yours was the only post I needed to comment on, not all of them. That’s really how it works. Man. (Am I doing this bit right?)
I’m letting this go now as discussion seems to be not about Scott Allan, but only chat between you and me and Lago of course who follows me about looking for pals. I’ve tried ignoring him but he doesn’t go away so that button doesn’t always work.

Hopefully the thread gets back on track.

jeffers
28-11-2021, 12:23 PM
Yours was the only post I needed to comment on, not all of them. That’s really how it works. Man. (Am I doing this bit right?)
I’m letting this go now as discussion seems to be not about Scott Allan, but only chat between you and me and Lago of course who follows me about looking for pals. I’ve tried ignoring him but he doesn’t go away so that button doesn’t always work.

Hopefully the thread gets back on track.

The point is you didn’t “need” to comment on my post but you chose to. And you started the “man” pish not me. I find a lot of your posts I disagree with, but other than the time you tried to tell me Tom James was a good player I don’t feel the need to comment on them. I don’t know Lago but he clearly finds your posts tiresome too.

I’ll leave it there and as you said let the thread get back on track.

WhileTheChief..
28-11-2021, 12:39 PM
If Allan is fit, he should start.

That seems glaringly obvious to me, and I’d hope to JR too, so I’ll assume it’s a fitness thing.

I mean, is there any manager out there that would leave a fit SA out of their team? That’s just mental.

And we’re nicely back on track :greengrin

vercol36
28-11-2021, 12:46 PM
I love him. I think he's a class act. I love that he's at our club and not another.

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2021, 12:46 PM
Can’t beat a good Allan: footballing genius, build the team around him/luxury player, too often posted missing thread.

Smartie
28-11-2021, 05:57 PM
If Allan is fit, he should start.

That seems glaringly obvious to me, and I’d hope to JR too, so I’ll assume it’s a fitness thing.

I mean, is there any manager out there that would leave a fit SA out of their team? That’s just mental.

And we’re nicely back on track :greengrin

I wouldn’t argue with the first sentence - other than to say that different people have different interpretations of “fit”.

It was great to see Scott Allan impact the game the way he did yesterday. He has an ability to do that in a way that most players can’t.

If you want to focus on negatives with Scott Allan you can focus on all the football Hibs have played with him not on the park. Or - on the park and toiling, which also happens.

What can’t really be in doubt though - in spite of there being constant speculation regarding his fitness levels, he’s got a quite outstanding return in terms of goals and assists leading to points being won /cup rounds being progressed through per minute on the park. As a result, I’d always be inclined to try to find a way to get him in the team.

I reckon Jack Ross will have mixed feelings. The guy has won him points. The defensive side of his game can leave us very vulnerable at times.

Pretty sure when my time watching Hibs is up - Scott Allan will have been one of my favourite players. He just has an X factor that so many good, fit, disciplined, dull players simply do not have.

erin go bragh
28-11-2021, 06:14 PM
Is the most creative player we have and by some distance .

28-11-2021, 06:27 PM
With the run of games we've got I expect we'll see a fair bit more of Scotty as well as some of the others who don't start regularly. I imagine JR will need to do some squad rotation.

Eyrie
28-11-2021, 09:33 PM
With the run of games we've got I expect we'll see a fair bit more of Scotty as well as some of the others who don't start regularly. I imagine JR will need to do some squad rotation.

Games against Livingston and Dundee would be good opportunities to start him and rest someone else - a straight swap for Campbell, or drop Campbell back to give Newell or Doyle-Hayes a break.

CentreLine
28-11-2021, 09:52 PM
Games against Livingston and Dundee would be good opportunities to start him and rest someone else - a straight swap for Campbell, or drop Campbell back to give Newell or Doyle-Hayes a break.

I expect that opportunities to start SA are few and far between. He is a player with extraordinary talent but also one with, not one but two, serious health conditions that he has very privately but successfully fought throughout his career. If he starts it can only be when both he and our fitness team are confident he is safe and fit. In any other circumstances, to start him in a game is putting pressure on his health and significantly increasing the chances of having to make an early substitution. Starting him all but guarantees that he will use a sub place during the game so restricting other tactical changes.
On the other hand, using him as a relatively late sub allows us to benefit from his mercurial talent whilst significantly reducing endangering his health or the need to replace him.
I want to see Scott on the pitch but not to the detriment of his health or the management options.

Hibbyradge
28-11-2021, 10:23 PM
Which manager was it that said "win your midfield battles and you'll win the match"?

Scott isn't going to win a lot of battles, as skillful and creative as he is. As someone else has pointed out, he excelled on Saturday once the opponents had been run ragged by our other players.

He really does need an enforcer(s) beside him because he's never going to dominate a midfield. It would be brilliant if we could come up with a solution to play him more but I doubt that's possible.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2021, 10:31 PM
Which manager was it that said "win your midfield battles and you'll win the match"?

Scott isn't going to win a lot of battles, as skillful and creative as he is. As someone else has pointed out, he excelled on Saturday once the opponents had been run ragged by our other players.

He really does need an enforcer(s) beside him because he's never going to dominate a midfield. It would be brilliant if we could come up with a solution to play him more but I doubt that's possible.

This seems to be a growing opinion but I just don’t get it. Look at the games he’s started.

He started, and was man of the match, in a win against the same opposition earlier this season. He started, scored and assisted in an away win at Tannadice. He was part of a midfield that was absolutely controlling the game at Ibrox until Porteous was sent off. The one exception was at home to Dundee Utd when the whole team was crap.

He didn’t excel because they’d been run ragged by other players yesterday. He excelled because he’s a good player who can do things other players can’t.

Hibbyradge
28-11-2021, 10:38 PM
This seems to be a growing opinion but I just don’t get it. Look at the games he’s started.

He started, and was man of the match, in a win against the same opposition earlier this season. He started, scored and assisted in an away win at Tannadice. He was part of a midfield that was absolutely controlling the game at Ibrox until Porteous was sent off. The one exception was at home to Dundee Utd when the whole team was crap.

He didn’t excel because they’d been run ragged by other players yesterday. He excelled because he’s a good player who can do things other players can’t.

Yeah, fair points. He's a very talented player, but there must be a logical reason why he doesn't get more starts.

I like Jack Ross so I'm happy to accept his decisions. Hopefully Scott will feature more in the remainder of the season.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2021, 10:43 PM
Yeah, fair points. He's a very talented player, but there must be a logical reason why he doesn't get more starts.

I like Jack Ross so I'm happy to accept his decisions. Hopefully Scott will feature more in the remainder of the season.

For all the reasons offered up, I honestly think it’s just a case of the manager not wanting to play him. Whatever his reasons, I think there are other players he just prefers.

28-11-2021, 11:19 PM
For all the reasons offered up, I honestly think it’s just a case of the manager not wanting to play him. Whether his reasons, I think there are other players he just prefers.

Yes, and could be part of the reason why some of the support aren't fully behind Jack Ross.

shetlandhibee
28-11-2021, 11:27 PM

He didn’t excel because they’d been run ragged by other players yesterday. He excelled because he’s a good player who can do things other players can’t.:top marks:agree:

WestStandWillie
29-11-2021, 08:34 AM
Scott Allan has the ability to change a game with one pass. He would be a massive miss if we let him go.

Fair enough, he can't manage full games (yet) and has the odd game where he is ineffective but yesterday was a prime example of his talent. We often go on about us relying heavily on Boyle but i'd hate for us to go into a gae without Boyle, Allan and Magennis.

jacomo
29-11-2021, 08:53 AM

Scott is actually pretty good at closing down opponents and cutting off their options.

He’s never going to be a hard-tackling type but he can definitely contribute when we don’t have the ball.

St.Kristopher
29-11-2021, 09:14 AM
Scott Allan copes with being pressed no problem at all. He’ll take the ball anywhere on the park.

Not sure I agree.

Did you watch the County game? If it wasn't for McGinn he would have let the County player through on goal, trying a turn just outside our box.

I am in the camp that sees this version of Allan, being amazing at breaking down teams that sit in, but not so useful in games where teams press us. County and United being two examples.

FilipinoHibs
29-11-2021, 09:21 AM
For all the reasons offered up, I honestly think it’s just a case of the manager not wanting to play him. Whatever his reasons, I think there are other players he just prefers.

For tactical reasons. You have to win the battle to be able to play. That is why he is not a preferred start. The Allan who knocked Black off the ball against Rangers is not the Allan we have now.

Jim44
29-11-2021, 09:27 AM
Scott Allan has the ability to change a game with one pass. He would be a massive miss if we let him go.

Fair enough, he can't manage full games (yet) and has the odd game where he is ineffective but yesterday was a prime example of his talent. We often go on about us relying heavily on Boyle but i'd hate for us to go into a gae without Boyle, Allan and Magennis.

I think most folk are of the opinion that his limited use is down to health reasons. I’m not so sure that this is the case. If it really is down to health reasons, SA will be satisfied with how JR is using him. However, I suspect he is frustrated with this limited use and will be wanting more game time. So, if JR is simply choosing not to make more use of him, I don’t see him getting a new contract and will probably move on at the end of the season.

B.H.F.C
29-11-2021, 09:36 AM
For tactical reasons. You have to win the battle to be able to play. That is why he is not a preferred start. The Allan who knocked Black off the ball against Rangers is not the Allan we have now.

Are we totally incapable of winning the battle if he starts? I’d say not based on the game he’s actually started this season.

wookie70
29-11-2021, 10:31 AM
Are we totally incapable of winning the battle if he starts? I’d say not based on the game he’s actually started this season.

I suppose we won't know unless he starts for a few games in a row. Much will depend on how the opposition play and if they press us and how frequently we have the ball.

I have two main issues with Allan. He tries to play a decisive pass far too often and loses the ball when there was an easy progressive pass on which could still have led to a goal. He also gets knocked off the ball very easily receiving it tight. Lastly I think he is terrible when we don't have the ball and sometimes looks completely disinterested before sparking into life when we win it back. So losing the ball cheaply and not working hard are my issues.

When he gets the ball and gets a good first touch he keeps it really well. In some ways I liken him to Porteous. He just needs to dial the risk taking down a touch so that he isn't always looking for a killer pass and up his concentration to the full time he is on the pitch. He also needs to put his body on the line far more when we don't have the ball and stay switched on for his full appearance not just parts of it. Absolutely no doubting his vision and creativity and he is a player that is useful to have in the squad. If we can get hi cheap then I'd offer him another deal but he is way down the list of players I would commit the big bucks to.

jeffers
29-11-2021, 10:38 AM
I think most folk are of the opinion that his limited use is down to health reasons. I’m not so sure that this is the case. If it really is down to health reasons, SA will be satisfied with how JR is using him. However, I suspect he is frustrated with this limited use and will be wanting more game time. So, if JR is simply choosing not to make more use of him, I don’t see him getting a new contract and will probably move on at the end of the season.

Agreed. I could understand him wanting to go to ICT as he himself can’t have known how he’d cope playing regularly until he was actually doing so. That doesn’t though explain his willingness to go on a full season loan to St Mirren. To me that suggests a footballer who wants to play regularly.

B.H.F.C
29-11-2021, 10:47 AM
I suppose we won't know unless he starts for a few games in a row. Much will depend on how the opposition play and if they press us and how frequently we have the ball.

I have two main issues with Allan. He tries to play a decisive pass far too often and loses the ball when there was an easy progressive pass on which could still have led to a goal. He also gets knocked off the ball very easily receiving it tight. Lastly I think he is terrible when we don't have the ball and sometimes looks completely disinterested before sparking into life when we win it back. So losing the ball cheaply and not working hard are my issues.

When he gets the ball and gets a good first touch he keeps it really well. In some ways I liken him to Porteous. He just needs to dial the risk taking down a touch so that he isn't always looking for a killer pass and up his concentration to the full time he is on the pitch. He also needs to put his body on the line far more when we don't have the ball and stay switched on for his full appearance not just parts of it. Absolutely no doubting his vision and creativity and he is a player that is useful to have in the squad. If we can get hi cheap then I'd offer him another deal but he is way down the list of players I would commit the big bucks to.

He did play a few games in a row and we didn’t lose any battles. We were actually doing quite well up until that red card at Ibrox. Add in the fact that he’s actually came on a couple of times and played a major part in turning losing positions in to winning ones.

There are some criticisms of Allan that are merited but there are some that are way over the top IMO, some of the stuff about him being a man short and the like. Talk about him not being good if we’re pressed is crazy IMO. He’s probably the most comfortable player we have on the ball and he’d take it in a phone box. If anything, I think he becomes more dangerous if he’s pressed because he’s likely to go by someone which very few players in our side do.

I still think he needs to earn another contract but the things he does are much harder to replace than things other players do. 1 goal and 5 assists in 453 minutes is a superb return.

jeffers
29-11-2021, 11:06 AM
He did play a few games in a row and we didn’t lose any battles. We were actually doing quite well up until that red card at Ibrox. Add in the fact that he’s actually came on a couple of times and played a major part in turning losing positions in to winning ones.

There are some criticisms of Allan that are merited but there are some that are way over the top IMO, some of the stuff about him being a man short and the like. Talk about him not being good if we’re pressed is crazy IMO. He’s probably the most comfortable player we have on the ball and he’d take it in a phone box. If anything, I think he becomes more dangerous if he’s pressed because he’s likely to go by someone which very few players in our side do.

I still think he needs to earn another contract but the things he does are much harder to replace than things other players do. 1 goal and 5 assists in 453 minutes is a superb return.

We are on the same page when it comes to Scott Allan. I don’t agree with a lot of the criticism of him, but I can see where others are coming from, however the parts of his game he’s not great at are the same things he’s never been great at. It all boils down to whether a manager is willing to play him, focus on what he does bring to the side and accept his flaws, or go with players with less ability, but work harder. It appears our manager wants the harder workers.

keep the faith
29-11-2021, 03:28 PM
I get the feeling Jeffers has the same view as me here.

I have never felt as strongly about the Allan thing in all my 40 years watching us. He is what gets me off my seat, he loves the club and to let someone of his talent go (and to st mirren!!), just blows my mind.

I'm not saying they are bad players, but JDH, Campbell,Joe etc won't win you games. And that's just a fact. Having them around Scott Allan however, then we are a threat.

For me the club needs to think about what's important and for me it's being entertained. Large blocks of the last few seasons have been miserable and that changes when Allan is on the park.

Start him and let him do his thing. It's not the luxury some make it out to be either. He actually works very hard and it's also about having others around him doing the safe, industrious thing. And by the way, we have loads of those players so that's fine.

New contract and let's keep our most talented player please Hibs. Its what we spend our money watching!

Callum_62
29-11-2021, 03:46 PM
I'd be happy to keep Scott on as a squad player but I'm far from being convinced he's the same player or carries the same attributes as before

Still can provide they moments of sheer magic though

Smartie
29-11-2021, 04:23 PM
I'd be happy to keep Scott on as a squad player but I'm far from being convinced he's the same player or carries the same attributes as before

Those moments are almost invaluable though. Players who provide them with the regularity that Scott Allan does shouldn't be undervalued.

Yes, his game has weaknesses. But there are strengths there that are difficult to buy for a club with Hibs' budget.

IWasThere2016
29-11-2021, 04:28 PM
LOVE SA!

And would hope we could find a way to play with his starting or at least as a well used sub.

Class player

Keith_M
29-11-2021, 06:12 PM
Yes, and could be part of the reason why some of the support aren't fully behind Jack Ross.

Are you not?

You've never mentioned that before.

AgentDaleCooper
29-11-2021, 08:06 PM
He's phenomenal as an impact player - when defences are tired, he sees the gaps like no one else.

I'm not sure he can do it for 90 mins though - he's usually ineffective and gets hooked before gaps emerge. There's the odd game where he brings it from the start, but when he doesn't, he offers nothing.

This said, i'd be delighted if he chose to stay as a squad player, he's a real asset as a sub.

allmodcons
29-11-2021, 08:34 PM
I'd start him against Sevco on Wednesday.

They're a decent side and I think it's important JR picks a team that is comfortable on the ball.

He was good against them at Ibrox before being hooked when Porteous got sent off and certainly staked a claim with his superb cameo in Perth.

Shrekko
29-11-2021, 09:58 PM
Such a bore when people are using this untrue narrative about JR just not liking flair players.

The long and short of it is that despite the many magic moments, starting SA carries a bigger risk than most other players and his game time needs managed. I think JR has done that pretty well and he’d probably like to have used him more but a mixture of bad luck and patchy form has hampered that.

At some point though people have to realise that the easy answer is for him to make himself un-droppable and also why he’s never managed that with any manager during his career apart from 2 short spells at Hibs.

He’s the player we ALL want to see but it’s silly to suggest he’s should always be first name on the team sheet until his form merits that - not memories, flashes, good games here and there, but overall form over a reasonable period of time.

B.H.F.C
29-11-2021, 10:32 PM
Such a bore when people are using this untrue narrative about JR just not liking flair players.

The long and short of it is that despite the many magic moments, starting SA carries a bigger risk than most other players and his game time needs managed. I think JR has done that pretty well and he’d probably like to have used him more but a mixture of bad luck and patchy form has hampered that.

At some point though people have to realise that the easy answer is for him to make himself un-droppable and also why he’s never managed that with any manager during his career apart from 2 short spells at Hibs.

He’s the player we ALL want to see but it’s silly to suggest he’s should always be first name on the team sheet until his form merits that - not memories, flashes, good games here and there, but overall form over a reasonable period of time.

If you look at him as being someone who is expected to create, he can’t really do much more than he has in his limited game time this season (works out as a goal/assist for every 75 minutes played).

Without thinking he should be an automatic pick (Magennis doing well earlier in the season for instance) I think he merits more time on the pitch than he’s had.

Jim44
29-11-2021, 10:37 PM

But the point is that Scott probably doesn’t want to be a squad player, getting very few starts and the odd 10 minutes at the end of a game. Any club, willing to offer a decent wage and a game every weekend has to be more attractive to him.

jeffers
29-11-2021, 10:41 PM
I get the feeling Jeffers has the same view as me here.

I have never felt as strongly about the Allan thing in all my 40 years watching us. He is what gets me off my seat, he loves the club and to let someone of his talent go (and to st mirren!!), just blows my mind.

I'm not saying they are bad players, but JDH, Campbell,Joe etc won't win you games. And that's just a fact. Having them around Scott Allan however, then we are a threat.

For me the club needs to think about what's important and for me it's being entertained. Large blocks of the last few seasons have been miserable and that changes when Allan is on the park.

Start him and let him do his thing. It's not the luxury some make it out to be either. He actually works very hard and it's also about having others around him doing the safe, industrious thing. And by the way, we have loads of those players so that's fine.

New contract and let's keep our most talented player please Hibs. Its what we spend our money watching!

Totally agree with your post. Nothing against the players you mentioned but they aren’t why I want to watch football. Scott Allan and the guy in my avatar are.

Shrekko
29-11-2021, 11:22 PM
If you look at him as being someone who is expected to create, he can’t really do much more than he has in his limited game time this season (works out as a goal/assist for every 75 minutes played).

Without thinking he should be an automatic pick (Magennis doing well earlier in the season for instance) I think he merits more time on the pitch than he’s had.

When Magennis was playing really well I’m not sure where he fitted into the starting line up. Bad luck has played a part too, but there’s also plenty of the season left for Scott.

He’s fantastic on song - I want to see him in as much as even his biggest fans but hand on heart I don’t think he’s had a raw deal. He started virtually every game when JR first arrived prior to Covid and then he had his health issues.

If he plays well I think we’ll see more of him as the season goes on - hopefully him and Murphy tbh.

J-C
30-11-2021, 08:49 AM

Aye and the majority of this team are totally consistency right enough, you can't play the consistency card when this team had a horrendous run of defeats.

30-11-2021, 08:59 AM
Aye and the majority of this team are totally consistency right enough, you can't play the consistency card when this team had a horrendous run of defeats.

I often wonder if having Scott Allan on the bench to bring on in the Scottish Cup Final might have made a difference for us. We will never know.

worcesterhibby
30-11-2021, 09:26 AM
I think we will see more of Scott Allan as the season progresses. He's wonderful to watch when on form and actually reminds me a bit of Ally Mcloed back in the 80's. He's the sort of player who probably should have gone abroad earlier in his career. Playing in Italy like Hendo would have suited his game down to the ground.

Let's hope he flourishes this season and manages to put his health issues behind him.

evy
30-11-2021, 10:06 AM
I think we will see more of Scott Allan as the season progresses. He's wonderful to watch when on form and actually reminds me a bit of Ally Mcloed back in the 80's. He's the sort of player who probably should have gone abroad earlier in his career. Playing in Italy like Hendo would have suited his game down to the ground.

Let's hope he flourishes this season and manages to put his health issues behind him.

They'll never be 'behind him', they're lifelong conditions that could hamper his career at any time. Lets hope he, and the club, can learn to manage them to the best of their abilities.

worcesterhibby
30-11-2021, 01:36 PM
They'll never be 'behind him', they're lifelong conditions that could hamper his career at any time. Lets hope he, and the club, can learn to manage them to the best of their abilities.
Indeed, apologies, badly worded. I meant let's hope he is able to manage them with help from the club in a way that allows him to contribute more time on the pitch.

jacomo
30-11-2021, 04:57 PM
He's phenomenal as an impact player - when defences are tired, he sees the gaps like no one else.

I'm not sure he can do it for 90 mins though - he's usually ineffective and gets hooked before gaps emerge. There's the odd game where he brings it from the start, but when he doesn't, he offers nothing.

This said, i'd be delighted if he chose to stay as a squad player, he's a real asset as a sub.

He hasn’t looked like a 90 minute player for a while.

If he’s in the starting 11 it’s likely he would be subbed during the match - not necessarily a reason not to do it, but it does limit our options a little.

Since452
30-11-2021, 05:17 PM
I'm torn. He had a huge part in the winning goal on Saturday and on form he is wonderful but there's a reason he isn't starting regularly. For as impressive as he was off the bench on Saturday he was as poor off it against Ross County.

greenlex
30-11-2021, 06:10 PM
I'm torn. He had a huge part in the winning goal on Saturday and on form he is wonderful but there's a reason he isn't starting regularly. For as impressive as he was off the bench on Saturday he was as poor off it against Ross County.
I’m righting off the Ross County game as we were devoid of anyone up top and down to 10 men for mist of his time on the park. He has had really poor performances throughout his game time tho. I’m putting that down to his conditions.