PDA

View Full Version : Josh Campbell

Tambo
21-11-2021, 05:09 PM
Think he deserves a mention as I thought he pressed well in key areas and kept the ball at times.

Should start Wednesday.

sleeping giant
21-11-2021, 05:11 PM
Very decent game from him.
Keeps his place for sure

heretoday
Think he deserves a mention as I thought he pressed well in key areas and kept the ball at times.

Should start Wednesday.

I thought he was excellent. Doyle-Hayes too.
They were all excellent!

Greencore

Should start Wednesday.

Tell you something, we have a player on our hands, can only get better. Future is green.

madhatter
21-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Worked tirelessly. Did the simple things, got touch tight and tackled well.

Definitely worked well in front of Newell and Doyle-Hayes.

Should keep place.

Torto7
21-11-2021, 05:25 PM
He and Doig played a big part in dominating them. Doig is a better athlete than Tavernier something he rarely encounters in Scotland and Ross had him pin him back. Campbell is a fit lad and led the press. Brilliant lads.

Lago
21-11-2021, 05:26 PM
Worked tirelessly. Did the simple things, got touch tight and tackled well.

Definitely worked well in front of Newell and Doyle-Hayes.

Should keep place.
And he has the physical presence for that midfield role, excellent today.

500miles
21-11-2021, 05:35 PM
I thought he was pretty quiet, but seemed like his task was to shadow Davis. Then when the Rangers started throwing the kitchen sink at us in the last 15 minutes, he started to shine more on the ball and proactively getting in hun faces. It was super disciplined, most young players would get sucked in

Mark05
21-11-2021, 05:35 PM

Should start Wednesday. the whole team were fantastic,but I was very impressed with josh well done

weecounty hibby
21-11-2021, 05:37 PM
Another who had a fantastic game. Stood up well and didn't look out of place in a Hibs team who were suoerb

Since90+2
21-11-2021, 05:39 PM
I think he probably touched the ball the least of all outfield players but he still played well.He was closing down and constantly chasing Rangers players and positionally he was spot on from a defensive point of view.

Callum_62
21-11-2021, 05:41 PM
His running was vital to our game plan

We miss that with Magennis out - he played a big role today without being flashy

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Since452
21-11-2021, 05:42 PM
Very impressed

Tambo
21-11-2021, 05:43 PM
the whole team were fantastic,but I was very impressed with josh well done

Yep every single player worked hard but only made the thread as Josh ain't played much has has not looked out of place the last two games he has played.

Vault Boy
21-11-2021, 05:47 PM
Really impressed with Josh tonight, yet again.

His energy into the last moments of the game was a genuine marvel, displayed remarkable fitness levels and plenty of maturity throughout his performance.

Spot is his to lose IMO.

MagicSwirlingShip
21-11-2021, 05:52 PM
Hope he kicks on from here. Delighted for him

Unseen work
21-11-2021, 05:57 PM
He deserves so much credit.

Was in the team for the European games but am injury ruled him out until last month when he came in against Celtic and done well. Then it was covid/international break.

For a young man to put in a performance like that and with those energy levels for 90 minutes is outstanding. How many times do you see young players struggle after 60 minutes?

He pressed them all over the pitch and won possession back a lot of times for us, I think it’s sometimes missed when it’s wave after wave of Rangers having the ball and coming forward but he tracked his man, filled gaps and won the ball

On the ball he was solid, kept it simple and took real care of it, nice slide pass to Boyle for the pen too.

He played very maturely, especially in the latter stages of the game and was the one driving us forward,

Can’t ask for much more from a young man.

Did he completely dominate with passes etc? No, but there’s more to football than that.

Lago
21-11-2021, 06:29 PM
I thought he was excellent. Doyle-Hayes too.
They were all excellent!
Can I add Cadden, thought he had a great game.

hhibs
21-11-2021, 06:38 PM

Should start Wednesday.

Thought he was immense,never understood how he just disappeared from the squad after a good pre season

Danderhall Hibs
21-11-2021, 06:40 PM
Well impressed - looked comfortable on the ball and knew what he was doing. Very impressive for someone so inexperienced.

Brightside
21-11-2021, 06:41 PM
Had a great game. Worked his back side off.

hibsbollah
21-11-2021, 06:42 PM
He was fine. Solid. Did the job that was asked of him.

McD
21-11-2021, 06:46 PM
I thought he looked like he’d been in the first team for years, and I mean that as a compliment. Not once did he look like someone who was new(ish) to the side, and not once did an experienced rangers midfield take advantage of him.

well done josh, I think you’ve just given your boss a massive headache, one he’ll probably be quite grateful for though

DH1875
21-11-2021, 06:47 PM
My first time seeing him. Thought he was impressive enough. Had a good game.

Jones28
21-11-2021, 06:49 PM
Immense energy, barely touched the ball but didn’t give David or Arfield a sniff.

CMurdoch
21-11-2021, 06:56 PM
Was in the team to run loads and close opposition players down.
Did that and was disciplined throughout.
Exactly what was needed.
Could be a great help until we get Magennis back.
Contract ends in the summer.
Could easily buy himself another year with more performances like today.

Onceinawhile
21-11-2021, 06:58 PM
Didn't doo too much on the ball. But got through a power of work off it. Fantastic the day.

greenlex
21-11-2021, 07:00 PM
He was my man of the match had Boyle not scored the three.

J-C
21-11-2021, 07:01 PM
I said on the match thread that he needed a special mention, he's played very little at this level but seems to have suddenly grown up as a footballer, did everything expected of him today, pressed well, used the ball well and managed to play the whole game, well done Josh, hopefully a new contract for him also.

GloryGlory
21-11-2021, 07:27 PM
Tell you something, we have a player on our hands, can only get better. Future is green.

Good to see one of the young players step up to the plate and stake a claim. We've been a bit short of options this season sometimes, and with a very busy programme between now and New Year, including a cup final, we need to have as many available as possible. Doidge adds to our options, hopefully he gets game time to get match fitness, and hopefully too Magennis and Murphy can get fit enough soon to come in. Daniel Mackay, too - where's he at these days?

NorthNorfolkHFC
21-11-2021, 07:32 PM
I’m putting it down to the fact I was his role model as Primary 7 teacher - I made him what he was!!! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Delighted for Josh, great lad, lovely family. They’ll be buzzing in ye olde inn this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Heisenberg
21-11-2021, 07:51 PM
Thought he was fantastic. Brilliant energy and helped press them when required.

Billy Whizz
21-11-2021, 07:54 PM
I thought Josh Campbell had a cracking game. He won’t have played many games, if at all with this intensity, and he lasted 90 mins
That’s 3 players from our old development team, starting in a Cup semi final. Eddie May has done a pretty decent job!
We need to find squad room for some of the next generation in our match squads. Young players bring a drive and an energy to the team

number9dream
21-11-2021, 08:05 PM
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to describe that game as the first elite level 90 minutes Josh has ever played.
He was in League 2 last season... Let's hope he can kick on and grow into a key squad member.

CmoantheHibs
21-11-2021, 08:22 PM
Looked superb today. Hard to believe he is so inexperienced as he never looked overawed or out of place. Technically very good, neat and tidy and has tremendous energy. Could be a great find for the rest of the season and help negate the loss of Magennis. I love the energy the young guys give the team. It’s something we look much better with.

NorthNorfolkHFC
21-11-2021, 08:24 PM
Mind he was out on loan at Edinburgh city last season, he played a lot so gained experience playing senior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ekhibee
21-11-2021, 11:04 PM
I was very impressed, definitely an old head on young shoulders, and it's so refreshing to see somebody settling in so quickly to the 1st team, nothing but praise for the young lad.

Unseen work
27-11-2021, 04:01 PM
We’ve got a player in him.

Can do a bit of everything.

Built the play really well for the first goal.

Looks after the ball well, composed and baffles hard.

Fergus52
27-11-2021, 04:09 PM
I would like to see him tried in a deeper role next to Newell.

Don't think he quite has the creativity and composure to play as a 10 like he has been recently, but think he could be effective playing a more box to box role where he can still cover a lot of ground and join the press, with Newell sitting deepest in midfield as he likes to do.

JDH hasn't been amazing since coming back from COVID (minus the Rangers game), and plays quite similarly to Newell anyway.

500miles
27-11-2021, 04:10 PM
He does a lot of work to support the strikers, and given we don't really have another engine in midfield, he should be starting evert week until Magennis is fit.

The 90+2
27-11-2021, 04:18 PM
Well done the manager having the mentality to play him today.

EVENTUALLY
27-11-2021, 04:24 PM
Good physical presance with a calmness about his play. Has done very well in the past week.

Tambo
27-11-2021, 04:57 PM
Really impressed again with Josh today, he don't have get about the pitch.

Played some nice passes and even had a few attempts on goal.

JimBHibees
27-11-2021, 05:03 PM

Genuinely look a much better team with Josh in it.

lord bunberry
27-11-2021, 05:04 PM
How old is he and what’s his contact situation?

Unseen work
27-11-2021, 05:11 PM
How old is he and what’s his contact situation?

Turned 21 in May and out of contract at the end of this season.

I imagine he’s giving Ross some serious thoughts to give him a new one. The fact he won’t be on much and the performances he’s put in so far surely makes it a no brainer.

Crunchie
27-11-2021, 05:18 PM

If the boy sticks in and works hard he should have a future, definitely looks a decent player. I've seen too many promising young midfielders at Hibs over the years to be getting too optimistic though.

Brightside
27-11-2021, 05:19 PM
Hes a very good replacement for Kyle.

Vault Boy
27-11-2021, 05:21 PM
I like him, he brings us a good balance of grit, stamina, and ability. Will only keep improving with more games at this level.

Jamie Gullan played well today too IMO.

bingo70
27-11-2021, 05:26 PM
Tin hat on but I’m not seeing what others are to be honest.

I get that he’ll get an amount of leeway as he’s a youngster breaking through but I’m looking for more from someone in his position. If we’ve got JDH and Newell sitting we need the other midfielder to be doing what Scott Allan did when he came on.

I don’t doubt his work rate but if he is to make that position his own longer term he needs to offer more than working hard.

If Drey Wright did everything he did today he’d be getting criticised for it IMO.

lord bunberry
27-11-2021, 05:27 PM
Turned 21 in May and out of contract at the end of this season.

I imagine he’s giving Ross some serious thoughts to give him a new one. The fact he won’t be on much and the performances he’s put in so far surely makes it a no brainer.
He should definitely be getting another contact, he’s versatile and physically well developed and he is an able deputy for Magennis who has his injury problems. I’d imagine there will be a few teams sniffing around in January with pre contracts if we’re not quick to offer him a contract.

A Hi-Bee
27-11-2021, 05:27 PM
He done well today a very good mature performance long may it last.

:flag::flag:

Brightside
27-11-2021, 05:47 PM

I get that he’ll get an amount of leeway as he’s a youngster breaking through but I’m looking for more from someone in his position. If we’ve got JDH and Newell sitting we need the other midfielder to be doing what Scott Allan did when he came on.

I don’t doubt his work rate but if he is to make that position his own longer term he needs to offer more than working hard.

If Drey Wright did everything he did today he’d be getting criticised for it IMO.

His work rate is excellent Bingo and he linked up well with the 2 strikers. Obv a very different player to Allan but there is deffo a place in our squad for a player like Campbell

wookie70
27-11-2021, 05:50 PM
Another very good day for Josh. He looked even better when he dropped deeper. Surely we will get him tied up as he looks to have a wee bit grit and cockiness and a fantastic hard working attitude

jeffers
27-11-2021, 05:53 PM

Thought it was just me, but I agree.

brianmc
27-11-2021, 05:59 PM

If Josh plays like he did today then one of jdh or Newell could find themselves out the team.

bingo70
27-11-2021, 06:02 PM
His work rate is excellent Bingo and he linked up well with the 2 strikers. Obv a very different player to Allan but there is deffo a place in our squad for a player like Campbell

Yes, work rate is excellent and he puts himself about. I just think when the novelty of a young player breaking through wears off, will that be enough? I’m not sure it is.

I remember having high hopes for Danny Handling, when he came in he worked hard and he was popular for a while because of it and I see similarities with someone like him, see also Fraser Murray to an extent, as an attacking player for a team that wants to finish high up the league he’ll need to build on a promising start. Simply not doing anything wrong won’t be enough longer term to keep his place in the team. I think there’s a danger when young players break into the team to play it safe all the time, short term that’s fine, won’t be enough longer term though.

Allant1981
27-11-2021, 06:03 PM
If Josh plays like he did today then one of jdh or Newell could find themselves out the team.

They really wont, he isnt anywhere near their level yet

lord bunberry
27-11-2021, 06:06 PM
Yes, work rate is excellent and he puts himself about. I just think when the novelty of a young player breaking through wears off, will that be enough? I’m not sure it is.

I remember having high hopes for Danny Handling, when he came in he worked hard and he was popular for a while because of it and I see similarities with someone like him, see also Fraser Murray to an extent, as an attacking player for a team that wants to finish high up the league he’ll need to build on a promising start. Simply not doing anything wrong won’t be enough longer term to keep his place in the team. I think there’s a danger when young players break into the team to play it safe all the time, short term that’s fine, won’t be enough longer term though.
To say he only didn’t not do anything wrong is unbelievably harsh, he hit the post in the first half and was heavily involved in the first goal.

B.H.F.C
27-11-2021, 06:07 PM

Agree to an extent.

He did a really good job against Rangers but we need more in the final third. A midfield of him Newell and JDH isn’t the answer against most of the league. Playing him one deeper may be a better option IMO.

Brightside
27-11-2021, 06:07 PM

I agree with lots of that. It will all be down to Josh continuing to live his life like a prem player. Unlike others who havent been able to stick at it. He has potential right now but lots to work on.

wookie70
27-11-2021, 06:15 PM

I don't totally disagree but Josh looks far more physically developed than those two. I also think that he showed some really good play today and he may have went in with a mindset to keep it simple and build on that. He will be a cheap option too and having someone that can come in like that and who fills the squad is a pretty safe option particularly when he is young and could still improve by quite a bit. I'd compare him more to Scott Martin at the moment. Never quite worked out for him Josh looks to have a bit more to his game.

Unseen work
27-11-2021, 06:19 PM
For me it’s harsh to say that all he does is work hard.

For a young player to come into a struggling team and put in 3 performances like that in the space of 6 days deserves huge credit IMO.

For one his fitness to last as much as he has shows how serious he takes his work, how many players let along youngsters who have never played at this level before could do that?

For me it’s the maturity in his performances that I’m impressed with. No he’s not produced a Scott Allan type pass but he protects the ball really well and keeps it moving, something Scotty struggles with at times which means the play breaks down. Being able to look after the ball well in tight areas is just as important as he proved against Rangers by playing the pass to Boyle for the pen. It allows us to build play and create chances - something we’ve done a lot in the last 3 games.

Allan, Wright, Scott, Fraser Murray etc are all some players that have played in the attacking midfielder role for us and been light on the ball or careless in possession.

He gets in the box a lot and was unlucky not to score his header today and also had a shot from distance on target.

I don’t think everyone needs to play the Allan pass to play that role, Magennis was brilliant at it earlier in the season and he never played one once. He got in behind, stretched the back four and always looked after the ball aswell as scoring goals. Campbell is similar to him IMO.

If we can go those 3 performances in the space of 6 days I’m excited what he can do after 6 months once his confidence builds and he becomes more comfortable. Let’s not forget he’s not long back from an injury too.

Eyrie
27-11-2021, 09:52 PM
He's a solid, not spectacular player, so he's a good option to have in a trio with Newell and Doyle-Hayes in a game where we're not going to see a lot of the ball (eg this Wednesday). In a game like Ross County or today, I'd rather see a more creative option like Allan.

As regards Campbell being out of contract at the end of this season, I'd give him a one year extension. That would give us cheap depth and time to assess him properly.

el hibs
28-11-2021, 07:17 AM
Think he has done really well. He kept his head and composure on the ball during the later stages of yesterdays comeback. I saw a few of his games for City last year and feel he has improved and moved up a level which I took as a good sign of East Mains working. Having Doig, Porto and Campbell playing well for Hibs showed the impact the right loans to League 2 can have.

Keyser Sauzee
01-12-2021, 09:11 AM
Just signed a new deal, unsure how long for.

Vault Boy
01-12-2021, 09:11 AM
Just signed a new deal, unsure how long for.

Vault Boy
01-12-2021, 09:12 AM
Glad to see this, hasn't looked out of place at the top level at all.

Brightside
01-12-2021, 09:14 AM
Good stuff. He will need to keep working very hard to stay in that squad.

MWHIBBIES
01-12-2021, 09:18 AM
I don't think his long term position will be that far forward. More likely to end up a ball winning Central midfielder. Glad we've got him signed up. He's capable of contributing to our squad which is good as a young player.

Pretty Boy
01-12-2021, 09:29 AM
Players improve by playing football and if they don't find that improvement then they get found out.

The players who have really established themselves in recent years have been throwing in and learned to swim quickly. Of course they still make mistakes that get ironed out with experience but on the whole they cope with 1st team football.

In recent years Hibs have had a lot of players who have been on the fringes but really haven't kicked on. At 20, 21, 22 we were still talking about them as if they were 16 or 17. Guys like Scott Martin, Alex Harris, Fraser Murray, Danny Handling, Sam Stanton etc etc. A few of them were unfortunate in having their opportunities limited due to the players ahead of them but there comes a point when the kid gloves have to come off.

Josh is 21 himself now so he's at a point where he has to be staking his claim. Thus far he has slotted in well and the best compliment I can pay him is to say he didn't stand out for any of the wrong reasons in the semi final v Rangers, he fitted in seamlessly and went quietly about his work. A hefty contract extension suggests the management like what they see and hopefully he kicks on as a 1st team regular from here on.

lord bunberry
01-12-2021, 09:43 AM
Delighted for him, he’s looked a decent prospect every time I’ve seen him. He’s one that’s came out of the blue for me as I hadn’t really heard of him before the Celtic game.

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2021, 09:50 AM
Liked him from the very first day I clapped eyes on him in a League Cup tie Stirling Albion away where he looked a very skilful and energetic midfield player

After that he disappeared out on loan

Good to see him being given and taking his chance

Onwards and upwards

overdrive
01-12-2021, 09:54 AM
Good news. In terms of the comments about us needing him to play a Scott Allan type pass in the position he’s been playing, I’m not convinced attacking mid is really his position. I think he’s just been filling in there. Whenever I’d seen him play prior to his current run in the team, he was played further back, maybe more the role of JDH. I think it might be unfair to judge on his abilities in the #10 role.

Billy Whizz
01-12-2021, 10:02 AM
Well done Josh, pleased for you

FilipinoHibs
01-12-2021, 10:15 AM
Well done Josh, pleased for you

Yes great news. Outstanding in last three games. Developing all the time.

Fergus52
01-12-2021, 10:30 AM
Good news. In terms of the comments about us needing him to play a Scott Allan type pass in the position he’s been playing, I’m not convinced attacking mid is really his position. I think he’s just been filling in there. Whenever I’d seen him play prior to his current run in the team, he was played further back, maybe more the role of JDH. I think it might be unfair to judge on his abilities in the #10 role.

Think his best role is meant to be a more energetic box to box type than JDH who likes to sit deep.

From the little I seen/heard of him at City he was extremely fit - covering a lot of ground getting up and down the pitch and pressing well, and would also score a lot of goals from joining attacks late and making good runs into the box.

Unseen work
01-12-2021, 10:38 AM
Wow, new contract until 2025.

I thought he would get a new contract but must admit I’m surprised at the length of it.

Well done though Josh, you’ve been very impressive the past couple of weeks so keep kicking on the same way and you’ll be fine!

Crazy how a couple of weeks can change things. He must have had the fear about being released and I’m sure a large number of our support had never heard of him prior to the Celtic game.

Tambo
01-12-2021, 11:01 AM
That's good news to hear. Have been impressed so far In a he short amount of games he has played.

Let's be having a goal tonight josh.

J-C
01-12-2021, 11:23 AM
Good news, Josh looked good a couple of years ago and his loan spells have obviously helped.

Nicho87
01-12-2021, 11:33 AM
Great news

Ross has shown massive trust in him to start him at hampden, says a lot on how much he rates him

Great to see another youngster through. Any team needs a few young lads in there.

With the emergence of Campbell maybe a central midfielder may not be required in Jan. happy days

Iggy Pope
01-12-2021, 12:47 PM
Like the look of the lad and I’m glad Hibs are continuing to invest in him.

gbhibby
01-12-2021, 01:23 PM
Superb news. Gives us the legs we need in midfield.

Unseen work
01-12-2021, 02:06 PM
Dylan Tait is a really good young player with a very good amount of games under his belt for his age and at a decent level.

It will be really interesting to see how he gets on with us as I imagine with Magennis being out, he’ll be looking at things at thinking the role Campbell is doing is perfect for him.

It will be interesting to see how Ross manages it as well have a shed load of midfielders/attackers that can play similar roles comes January

Wide/attacking

Cadden
Boyle
Mueller
Wright
Murphy
McKay
Scott
Gullan

Central

Newell
JDH
Hallberg
Gogic
Campbell
Allan
Magennis
Tait
Scott (played as a number 10 on occasion for us).

That’s once our new signings are in and injuries are back which all seems to be the case for January. I imagine more will come in capable of playing these positions so it’s a case of who is leaving.

J-C
01-12-2021, 02:59 PM
Dylan Tait is a really good young player with a very good amount of games under his belt for his age and at a decent level.

It will be really interesting to see how he gets on with us as I imagine with Magennis being out, he’ll be looking at things at thinking the role Campbell is doing is perfect for him.

It will be interesting to see how Ross manages it as well have a shed load of midfielders/attackers that can play similar roles comes January

Wide/attacking

Cadden
Boyle
Mueller
Wright
Murphy
McKay
Scott
Gullan

Central

Newell
JDH
Hallberg
Gogic
Campbell
Allan
Magennis
Tait
Scott (played as a number 10 on occasion for us).

That’s once our new signings are in and injuries are back which all seems to be the case for January. I imagine more will come in capable of playing these positions so it’s a case of who is leaving.

I can see Scott going back and Wright moving on, that still leaves us with Boyle, Murphy, Mueller, Mackay and Gullan, plenty of wide options. It all depends if Ross stays with 3412 or reverts back to 4231 he played earlier, suppose he can play either depending who's fit and available and who we're playing. All about options and competition for positions.

Blaster
01-12-2021, 03:02 PM
I can see Scott going back and Wright moving on, that still leaves us with Boyle, Murphy, Mueller, Mackay and Gullan, plenty of wide options. It all depends if Ross stays with 3412 or reverts back to 4231 he played earlier, suppose he can play either depending who's fit and available and who we're playing. All about options and competition for positions.

I would like Mackay to go on loan in January and get some proper game time until end of the season.

JimBHibees
01-12-2021, 03:03 PM
Well done Josh well deserved. Has been excellent in the last few games. Looks genuinely two footed and a good engine. Just shows you young players will get a chance to shine if they work hard enough and take their opportunity.

Callum_62
01-12-2021, 03:03 PM
Didn't realise he was only 21

Thought he was a few years older than that

Seems to have a bit about him, hopefully he can keep progressing

Eyrie
01-12-2021, 05:09 PM
Slightly surprised at the length of the deal, but Campbell is playing well for us so I'm pleased he's got the extension.

wookie70
01-12-2021, 05:25 PM
I don't think his long term position will be that far forward. More likely to end up a ball winning Central midfielder. Glad we've got him signed up. He's capable of contributing to our squad which is good as a young player.I agree, when he dropped back against Saints he looked really assured. Good to have lots of solid players to build the future around

Scorrie
01-12-2021, 08:08 PM
Got to say that his confidence levels v The Huns looks high. Pretty decent performance

EI255
01-12-2021, 08:15 PM
He's been excellent this evening. Stepped up big time.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

HH81
01-12-2021, 08:18 PM
Looks strong and ready for the battle.

Good player.

Since452
01-12-2021, 08:23 PM
Seen enough of him now to call him a good player. Looks so assured. Big future for us.

noz
01-12-2021, 08:50 PM
not doubting his talent and workrate, but hes too similar to the rest of the midfield.

He doesnt go past players, doesnt score (yet), isnt a passer - not sure what he brings

CallumHibs07
01-12-2021, 08:50 PM
Him and Newell were very good

Northernhibee
01-12-2021, 08:54 PM
Him and Newell were very good

Newell was brilliant.

J-C
01-12-2021, 08:55 PM
And that's why he got a new contract, well done lad.

Vault Boy
01-12-2021, 08:57 PM
Player.

Unseen work
01-12-2021, 09:05 PM
not doubting his talent and workrate, but hes too similar to the rest of the midfield.

He doesnt go past players, doesnt score (yet), isnt a passer - not sure what he brings

I don’t think he’s similar to JDH or Newell in the slightest.

Similar to Magennis yes, but for me he’s a good change to the rest of the midfield with his running in behind and will to get in the box.

Lee Marvin
01-12-2021, 09:26 PM
Great find. Looks a player

madhatter
01-12-2021, 09:29 PM

He's a huge reason we look far more competitive. Take Campbell out this team without Magennis available and we'll struggle badly. Campbell has been excellent at pressing, getting his foot in and working really hard.

Wish we had more players like him.

Brightside
01-12-2021, 09:39 PM
Midfield 3 were all excellent tonight.

01-12-2021, 09:41 PM
Newell was brilliant.

Except when he was in the box and should have shot but didn't.

500miles
01-12-2021, 09:46 PM
Best crosses into the box with both feet tonight . Could end up playing fullback because his engine is excellent and he'sphysically competitive. I don't think he'll be a number 10, but he's done well giving our forwards support with his constant pressing and running.

CmoantheHibs
01-12-2021, 09:46 PM
I love the fact that for a young lad just breaking into the Hibs 1st team he is in no way overawed and takes no ****. He plays and acts more like a seasoned pro.

B.H.F.C
01-12-2021, 10:01 PM
Thought the midfield three were all decent, Campbell included.

But I hope they don’t continue as a three or we’re going to continue to struggle for goals

Onceinawhile
01-12-2021, 10:28 PM
Except when he was in the box and should have shot but didn't.

I think he did. I think he was trying to lob it back post and got it all wrong.

Alfred E Newman
01-12-2021, 10:33 PM

Oh dear.

Tambo
02-12-2021, 07:41 AM
Oh dear.

Seemed to go past Goldson easy enough and put in a lovely ball.

Was impressed again last night 👍

greenlex
02-12-2021, 02:37 PM

But I hope they don’t continue as a three or we’re going to continue to struggle for goals
Same midfield three that were on the park when we scored 3 in half an hour at Hampden the other week?:confused:

Smartie
02-12-2021, 02:44 PM

Worth remembering that they were up against the champions and league leaders last night who tend to have a decent defence when they're not playing at Hampden.

Last night's midfield 3 probably fell a bit short of having what it took to cut Rangers open - and it was a disappointment for me that Jack Ross left it so late to throw on the players who might have - but that midfield 3 I would expect to have enough to create against most teams. Worth pointing out as well that Newell, JDH and Campbell collectively were robust defensively and very tough to break through - Hibs' midfields in recent years have on occasion been easily overpowered. It goes without saying that if you're not chucking goals away at one end, you don't need as many chances created or goals scored at the other end.

B.H.F.C
02-12-2021, 02:57 PM
Same midfield three that were on the park when we scored 3 in half an hour at Hampden the other week?:confused:

Aye that’s the three. Worked that day, we’ve not scored a goal as a team with them as a midfield three in the three games since. They suited that game, and I think it was fair enough starting them last night. Don’t think the balance is right for the majority of games.

greenlex
02-12-2021, 03:00 PM
Aye that’s the three. Worked that day, we’ve not scored a goal as a team with them as a midfield three in the three games since. They suited that game, and I think it was fair enough starting them last night. Don’t think the balance is right for the majority of games.
The point I’m trying to make is there is goals in the team when they play. We created plenty without putting it in the pokey in the other games.

B.H.F.C
02-12-2021, 03:01 PM
Worth remembering that they were up against the champions and league leaders last night who tend to have a decent defence when they're not playing at Hampden.

Last night's midfield 3 probably fell a bit short of having what it took to cut Rangers open - and it was a disappointment for me that Jack Ross left it so late to throw on the players who might have - but that midfield 3 I would expect to have enough to create against most teams. Worth pointing out as well that Newell, JDH and Campbell collectively were robust defensively and very tough to break through - Hibs' midfields in recent years have on occasion been easily overpowered. It goes without saying that if you're not chucking goals away at one end, you don't need as many chances created or goals scored at the other end.

Mentioned elsewhere that I didn’t have an issue with playing with them last night. Robustness is good but there needs to be a balance and they don’t give it for me. We’ve lost a few games to single goals (Aberdeen, Ross County and last night) and between the three games we must have had about 5 shots on target. I think with that set up, we’re too far to the robust hard working side and lacking on the creative side.

B.H.F.C
02-12-2021, 03:03 PM
The point I’m trying to make is there is goals in the team when they play. We created plenty without putting it in the pokey in the other games.

I don’t think we’ve created plenty with them as a three though. Or more we don’t have enough quality even if getting in to positions.

We’ll win the odd game but I don’t think it offers enough to go and get on a consistent run, particularly against teams that are going to sit in and let us have the ball.

greenlex
02-12-2021, 03:06 PM
I don’t think we’ve created plenty with them as a three though. Or more we don’t have enough quality even if getting in to positions.

We’ll win the odd game but I don’t think it offers enough to go and get on a consistent run, particularly against teams that are going to sit in and let us have the ball.
I agree about teams sitting in with that three FWIW. Remember we had a horrendous run pre Campbell in there so happy to keep him in there to start games. Bring on Murphy and or Allen if we need to as we did at Perth.

Smartie
02-12-2021, 03:11 PM

I'm not always convinced Jack Ross has had the answers to breaking down packed defences at home.

The truth is, it's not always that easy. Celtic looked immense against us at times but they've got (?) one point from 2 games against Livingston this season - who have plain old parked the bus against them.

Doidge will probably help that, as he can make more from high balls lumped into the area, which you sometimes have to resort to.

I share your general concern re the lack of creativity from that 3 (they don't have that x factor that Scott Allan has) but I think we look generally much, much better as a team when we've got them playing.

B.H.F.C
02-12-2021, 03:13 PM
I agree about teams sitting in with that three FWIW. Remember we had a horrendous run pre Campbell in there so happy to keep him in there to start games. Bring on Murphy and or Allen if we need to as we did at Perth.

I don’t think we can always be relying on that bit of magic in the space of 15 minutes. Particularly at home, we need to be taking the game to teams and trying to get the lead ourselves. Making the kind of impact the did it Perth is difficult.

greenlex
02-12-2021, 03:36 PM
I don’t think we can always be relying on that bit of magic in the space of 15 minutes. Particularly at home, we need to be taking the game to teams and trying to get the lead ourselves. Making the kind of impact the did it Perth is difficult.

By the same token there were numerous chances passed up before they came on. We don’t need to wait till the last 15 if chances in a particular game are not forthcoming . I guess time will tell.

B.H.F.C
02-12-2021, 03:44 PM
By the same token there were numerous chances passed up before they came on. We don’t need to wait till the last 15 if chances in a particular game are not forthcoming . I guess time will tell.

It’s not just about the chances, it’s about having that bit quality when we do get them. This, for me, isn’t all about getting Allan in the team because if Magennis was available I’d be looking to get him in the team. The two of them are totally different but both contribute in the final third and I just think we’ll toil more often than not without that balance that either can bring.

lord bunberry
04-12-2021, 02:59 PM
What a great cross for Nisbet, it was right in front of me when he hit it. Well done young man.

Big_Franck
04-12-2021, 03:02 PM
Brilliant ball in on his weaker foot. He missed a great chance to send one of our players clear towards the end of the half with a poor pass but he's been decent again.

pacoluna
04-12-2021, 03:54 PM
He doesn't impose himself on the game. Needs to improve alot IMO.

Diclonius
04-12-2021, 03:59 PM
He doesn't impose himself on the game. Needs to improve alot IMO.

He's 21 and been a regular for about 3 games. It'll come.

eastterrace
04-12-2021, 04:06 PM
Brilliant ball in on his weaker foot. He missed a great chance to send one of our players clear towards the end of the half with a poor pass but he's been decent again.
Sorry if that’s what standard of player we are keeping then it’s going to be a long hard season. I can’t fault his effort but he is the new Danny handling. We need better standard off player in January transfer window. Just look at the spaces in the crowd fans are giving up watching this crap.

pacoluna
04-12-2021, 04:09 PM
He's 21 and been a regular for about 3 games. It'll come.

Just dont see it - you've got the Danny handling/fraser Murray types and the Scott brown/Thompson/McGinn type at that age.

I would put him in with the first group.

500miles
04-12-2021, 04:10 PM
Sorry if that’s what standard of player we are keeping then it’s going to be a long hard season. I can’t fault his effort but he is the new Danny handling. We need better standard off player in January transfer window. Just look at the spaces in the crowd fans are giving up watching this crap.

There are spaces in the stand because people are watching from home.

500miles
04-12-2021, 04:14 PM
I think the fact that we've started competing in midfield since he started playing tells us different. Good assist today, should have been two, and so unlucky to rattle the crossbar.

He's gotten better game on game for me.

eastterrace
04-12-2021, 04:14 PM
There are spaces in the stand because people are watching from home.
I watched it from home due to having a cold but I’m losing my patience watching this crap week after week. Fans saying we are unlucky jeez we have took 4 points from last 24 we need to wake up before it’s to late.

WeeRussell
04-12-2021, 04:16 PM
Just dont see it - you've got the Danny handling/fraser Murray types and the Scott brown/Thompson/McGinn type at that age.

I think you need to be a bit more patient in this situation Paco.

Callum_62
04-12-2021, 04:22 PM
I watched it from home due to having a cold but I’m losing my patience watching this crap week after week. Fans saying we are unlucky jeez we have took 4 points from last 24 we need to wake up before it’s to late.4 points from last 9 though

[emoji106]

Tambo
04-12-2021, 04:23 PM
Seen an article yesterday or today from him saying he's not shy anymore on the pitch.

I thought he was one of our better players again today with a great assist which was just after he played a slack ball out left and was another threat on goal.

B.H.F.C
04-12-2021, 04:24 PM
4 points from last 9 though

[emoji106]

Or 19 from 45.

On Campbell, I thought he was the best of the midfield today but that isn’t the midfield three of a good team.

A Hi-Bee
04-12-2021, 04:37 PM
Fine young player who will only get better as time goes on.

ancient hibee
04-12-2021, 04:39 PM
Tries hard.A lot of drive.Got an edge. The rest of the midfield is more skilful than him but play in fits and starts.

eastterrace
04-12-2021, 04:40 PM
4 points from last 9 though

[emoji106]

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalkoh that’s seems a good return so we’ve nothing to worry about. Jeez I must have dreamt all those empty seats at the game today.

MWHIBBIES
04-12-2021, 04:43 PM
I watched it from home due to having a cold but I’m losing my patience watching this crap week after week. Fans saying we are unlucky jeez we have took 4 points from last 24 we need to wake up before it’s to late.

We were unlucky. Hit the bar, 2 off the line, Nisbet missed a great chance. Any of them go in and you're probably not even on here tonight.

Before what's to late?

Vault Boy
04-12-2021, 04:45 PM
I thought Josh was pretty good again today. A couple of tame efforts, but he's definitely got an attacking intent his midfield partners don't quite have. Unlucky with his rocket off the bar.

SChibs
04-12-2021, 04:49 PM

Is there nothing in between? There is, there's the likes of Hanlon and Stevenson who aren't spectacular but they are capable of holding their own and play a vital role in the squad.

Gmack7
04-12-2021, 05:01 PM
I thought he was very good today, the fact that JDH and Newall were hooked and Campbell wasn't suggests JR thought so aswell

Rumble de Thump
04-12-2021, 05:10 PM
oh that’s seems a good return so we’ve nothing to worry about. Jeez I must have dreamt all those empty seats at the game today.

Did you look happy when the referees gifted Sevco six points against us?

hibsbollah
04-12-2021, 05:12 PM
Great ball for the assist, he was quieter than Newell and DH and seemed to see less of the ball but seemed to make better use of it when he did get it.

LeithMike
04-12-2021, 05:31 PM
Tries hard.A lot of drive.Got an edge. The rest of the midfield is more skilful than him but play in fits and starts.Agree with this. He gives us a bit of energy and runs ahead of the ball to create space while the other two just want to sit and pass the ball. I think there is room for only one of JDH and Newell in a competitive midfield android probably go JDH.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Unseen work
04-12-2021, 05:33 PM
If Scott Allan gets that assist there’s a new 5 page thread

Fantastic vision and quality to execute that especially on his weaker foot

People were quick to say all he does is work hard. Give him time to show his quality.

He’ll get more confident and comfortable in the first team with each game and then try passes like the one today and his shot which rattled the woodwork.

The Modfather
04-12-2021, 05:39 PM
Agree with this. He gives us a bit of energy and runs ahead of the ball to create space while the other two just want to sit and pass the ball. I think there is room for only one of JDH and Newell in a competitive midfield android probably go JDH.

A midfield of JDH, Campbell and Allan/Murphy is probably not the long term answer but the best balance from what we have/who is available. I think playing both JDH & Newell, who both like to sit deep and do their best work closer to the Hibs goal than the opposition goal, is a correlation with Ross’ cautious nature. We played deep and compact last season, and playing both players and playing them in the way we do this season suggests to me that’s Ross’ preferred midfield style. I think it’s a style/balance that will only take us so far.

GreenCastle
04-12-2021, 05:39 PM
If he had scored today he would probably have got MOTM as his assist was also a great pass.

Small margins as a goal or 2 and 3 points and this place is much happier but instead we have some folk comparing him to other young players who didn’t do enough at the club to stay on.

LeithMike
04-12-2021, 05:48 PM
A midfield of JDH, Campbell and Allan/Murphy is probably not the long term answer but the best balance from what we have/who is available. I think playing both JDH & Newell, who both like to sit deep and do their best work closer to the Hibs goal than the opposition goal, is a correlation with Ross’ cautious nature. We played deep and compact last season, and playing both players and playing them in the way we do this season suggests to me that’s Ross’ preferred midfield style. I think it’s a style/balance that will only take us so far.Can't argue with any of that.

Danderhall Hibs
04-12-2021, 07:26 PM
I thought he was very good today - works really hard. He must put more miles in than the others easily. As someone else said Newell and JDH being subbed before him probably shows the manager agrees.

Great ball for the 1st, just about took the goals out of their foundations. Should’ve scored with the other chance though.

04Sauzee
04-12-2021, 07:28 PM
Had him as my MOTM today, looks like I'm one of the very few 😂

Golden Bear
04-12-2021, 07:31 PM
Had him as my MOTM today, looks like I'm one of the very few 😂

I agree. 👍

Danderhall Hibs
04-12-2021, 07:32 PM
I agree. 👍

Me too.

greenlex
04-12-2021, 07:32 PM
My Motm too.:aok:

wookie70
04-12-2021, 08:22 PM
My MOTM too. He works so hard but we are now seeing some real quality in flashes. Best cross at ER this season imo

PH91
04-12-2021, 08:25 PM
A midfield of JDH, Campbell and Allan/Murphy is probably not the long term answer but the best balance from what we have/who is available. I think playing both JDH & Newell, who both like to sit deep and do their best work closer to the Hibs goal than the opposition goal, is a correlation with Ross’ cautious nature. We played deep and compact last season, and playing both players and playing them in the way we do this season suggests to me that’s Ross’ preferred midfield style. I think it’s a style/balance that will only take us so far.

I think that midfield 3 will be fine playing 4231 as it was with magennis at the start of the season. It lets campbell support the striker and we have 2 attacking outlets each wing. It doesn't work as well in a 352 with cadden as he essentially replaces one of the attacking players and he is no more than a hard worker with a half decent cross and no one in the middle to hit. I think doig is similarly limited.

I expect cadden to be out the team (or possibly mcginn and cadden at rb) and a return to murphy and boyle wide in a 4231 next game. I'd play doidge over nisbet too if fit enough. If we do stick with 352 then boyle should play wingback with doidge up front.

As for campbell, played well again today and you can see his confidence is growing. I agree with other posters in that once magennis is back we may see him play deeper in a more box to box role.

JimBHibees
04-12-2021, 09:01 PM
Has been a real find in recent games. Some real quality in his game and works so hard

The Harp Awakes
04-12-2021, 10:05 PM
Josh doesn't look out of place in the team, and looks a decent prospect. Being a young lad he'll improve with games.

Have to say though, so far I'm not seeing the justification for the level of praise he's been getting. I could be wrong, but just saying what I see.

ekhibee
05-12-2021, 10:42 AM
Looks a good player, learning all the time. Should've scored today but I'll bet he doesn't miss next time.

Lancs Harp
05-12-2021, 11:02 AM
I think Josh has made a very good and steady start in the first team. How old is he? 20/21? I think he is progressing nicely and certainly doesnt look out of place in the first eleven and he'll only get better. Adds energy to the middle of the park which IMO is much needed.

theonlywayisup
05-12-2021, 11:34 AM
Don't see it myself! He had a great opportunity in the 1st half, just before Nisbet scored, to send Cadden down the wing in an overlap situation hit a dreadful pass. He also needs to take care with his shooting; an inch lower and he would have scored. He was also lucky with the cross for the goal; doesn't he know that you'll never score from crossing so deep.

His body language isn't great either and I'm not convinced he really wants to be at Easter Road, despite signing the new deal.

:stirrer: isn't that the Hibs.net way, constantly focussing on the negatives.

Good start to his Hibs career. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

lord bunberry
05-12-2021, 12:50 PM
I’m genuinely surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for a young player making a breakthrough. He’s played a handful of games and done pretty well so far, I’m not sure that many of our best ever academy players came into the team and had an instant impact. I suppose it has a lot to do with the general malaise that so many seem to stuck in just now.

JimBHibees
06-12-2021, 10:50 AM
I’m genuinely surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for a young player making a breakthrough. He’s played a handful of games and done pretty well so far, I’m not sure that many of our best ever academy players came into the team and had an instant impact. I suppose it has a lot to do with the general malaise that so many seem to stuck in just now.

I think he has been excellent as Saturday showed his assist for Nissy was brilliant unlucky with the shot that hit the bar but should have scored his other chance. Really like how two footed he seems to be.

Brightside
06-12-2021, 02:00 PM

If Scott Allan had played the ball for the Niz goal we’d have a 200 post count messiah thread. He’s a good young player with loads of potential

Billy Whizz
06-12-2021, 02:02 PM
If Scott Allan had played the ball for the Niz goal we’d have a 200 post count messiah thread. He’s a good young player with loads of potential

Absolutely
Good thing about Josh, is he’s been on loan at 3 clubs, and has managed to get a run of games under his belt

JimBHibees
06-12-2021, 02:30 PM
Absolutely
Good thing about Josh, is he’s been on loan at 3 clubs, and has managed to get a run of games under his belt

Agree certainly doesn't look short physically which some younger players can look

Shanksaidno
06-12-2021, 02:41 PM
Agree certainly doesn't look short physically which some younger players can look

Could be next Scott Brown ... reminds me of hin a lot

theonlywayisup
11-12-2021, 03:12 PM
1st goal for the Hibees :flag:

pacoluna
11-12-2021, 03:56 PM
Could be next Scott Brown ... reminds me of hin a lot

He would be nowhere near that team that Scott brown was at the heart off.

I suppose people are just trying to exaggerate any little positive atm giving how poor we are.

Iain G
11-12-2021, 04:13 PM
He would be nowhere near that team that Scott brown was at the heart off.

I suppose people are just trying to exaggerate any little positive atm giving how poor we are.

Well he was probably still in primary school then so you are probably right 😁

JimBHibees
11-12-2021, 04:21 PM
Glad for josh deserved a goal shame it wasn't the winner.

Silversand
11-12-2021, 04:28 PM
Liking the look of Josh, great prospect, looking forward to see how he develops.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Shrekko
11-12-2021, 04:45 PM
As poor as we’ve been recently this boy has been absolutely excellent. Since he game on v Celtic he’s been overall our best player by a good bit.

J-C
11-12-2021, 04:57 PM
As poor as we’ve been recently this boy has been absolutely excellent. Since he game on v Celtic he’s been overall our best player by a good bit.

Young, energetic and hungry, we need more like him in the team which has gone stale.

Onceinawhile
11-12-2021, 11:05 PM

He's really improved since the semi final.

My only worry is that it's a bit Sam stantonesque, yeh, he looks good, but only cause everyone else is awful.

500miles
11-12-2021, 11:12 PM
He's made big strides in solving our lack of energy in the middle. If our forwards weren't firing blanks, he'd be getting a lot more positivity.

Hibby-G
11-12-2021, 11:56 PM
Really like the look of Josh, does a lot of running and brings a real energy level to the midfield.

Thought he was excellent in the semi-final against Rangers, and has kicked on from there.

I just hope when Magennis returns, the manager will opt to choose both of them, as a pose to just the one.

Carheenlea
12-12-2021, 08:57 AM

My only worry is that it's a bit Sam stantonesque, yeh, he looks good, but only cause everyone else is awful.

I really don’t think that’s the case. Nobody was awful yesterday (obviously most were just that midweek) and it’s a case of a youngster getting his chance and making the transition to first team regular. Wish we saw more getting the opportunity.

JimBHibees
12-12-2021, 09:08 AM

Agree with that. Nonsense to take him off on Wednesday imo

Leitherhibs
12-12-2021, 09:51 AM
Campbell has been decent, "absolutely excellent" is a bridge too far for me though, missed key chances in the Motherwell and ST J games, gets himself into the right positions and high energy but needs to show more quality in the final third for a guy playing no10 role to be consider "absolutely excellent".

PeeJay
12-12-2021, 10:08 AM
Thought he had a decent game, surprised he got MOTM myself. He's a young lad, he works hard on the pitch has some good moments, some bad moments - it will be interesting to see how he develops. Good to see him off the mark with his first goal for 1st team!

Allant1981
12-12-2021, 12:38 PM
Still cant decide what type of player he is, he doesnt really beat a man, he isnt a playmaker either, covers a lot of the park though, will be interesting to see how he progresses

JoeT
12-12-2021, 03:26 PM
Still cant decide what type of player he is, he doesnt really beat a man, he isnt a playmaker either, covers a lot of the park though, will be interesting to see how he progresses

I think we've invented a new position, I'm calling it the 'holding number 10'. Nullifying the deep lying playmaker types. He did a great job against Steven Davies

Onceinawhile
12-12-2021, 07:01 PM
I really don’t think that’s the case. Nobody was awful yesterday (obviously most were just that midweek) and it’s a case of a youngster getting his chance and making the transition to first team regular. Wish we saw more getting the opportunity.

I hope it isn't. But it's just the way it feels at the moment imo.

500miles
15-12-2021, 02:21 PM
When Newell was announced as MOTM last night, BBC radio coverage suggested Campbell may have been the better player.

bigwheel
15-12-2021, 02:25 PM

He’s doing well - playing against good pro’s and most often coming out on top …think he’s got a lot about him …

LunasBoots
15-12-2021, 02:28 PM
He’s doing well - playing against good pro’s and most often coming out on top …think he’s got a lot about him …

Think hes got a bit of Lewis Ferguson about him, developing very well and playing decent stuff, think he's going to kick on and will be a regular for years to come.

Tambo
15-12-2021, 02:28 PM
Although some of his passes never came off last night I like the fact the boy still trys again also not scared to have a dig on goal.

B.H.F.C
15-12-2021, 02:34 PM
Although some of his passes never came off last night I like the fact the boy still trys again also not scared to have a dig on goal.

I think he’s been steadily getting better without being brilliant.

Agree, he’s trying to do a bit more rather than just play it safe which I like. Not convinced the position he’s playing is his long term though.

Shrekko
15-12-2021, 02:35 PM
Campbell has been decent, "absolutely excellent" is a bridge too far for me though, missed key chances in the Motherwell and ST J games, gets himself into the right positions and high energy but needs to show more quality in the final third for a guy playing no10 role to be consider "absolutely excellent".

Well I’m sticking by it.

To come into a struggling team at his age and show the balls he has, as well as a number of other attributes, shows he has a lot about him.

He changed the game when he came on v Celtic - we were getting murdered. Did really well against some top players in a cup semi on the big stage and since then has always been one of our better performers.

Is the ‘missed chance’ in the Motherwell game the one where he hit the underside of the bar from the edge of the box? Very harsh if so!

He’s done very little wrong and a lot right.

LaMotta
15-12-2021, 03:33 PM
When Newell was announced as MOTM last night, BBC radio coverage suggested Campbell may have been the better player.

Newell was far better IMO last night. Campbell's decision making could have been better on a number of occasions.

Its early days for him and he has done well overall. He had had 2 really good individual moments and a great semi vs Rangers, but I think some of the superlatives are a bit premature.

bigwheel
15-12-2021, 05:02 PM
Think hes got a bit of Lewis Ferguson about him, developing very well and playing decent stuff, think he's going to kick on and will be a regular for years to come.

not a bad comparison that ..and I agree, think he could go on the play lots of football for us

A Hi-Bee
15-12-2021, 05:54 PM
I would say he is a modern type Hibs player who patrols the area's between each penalty box, never stops and contributes very well to the way the team play.
Not really one for labels.
:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
16-12-2021, 06:02 AM
Newell was far better IMO last night. Campbell's decision making could have been better on a number of occasions.

Its early days for him and he has done well overall. He had had 2 really good individual moments and a great semi vs Rangers, but I think some of the superlatives are a bit premature.

Personally thought Newell was very poor particularly second half gave the ball away so many times and looked goosed. Would have subbed him rather than Jdh.

500miles
16-12-2021, 11:55 AM
Personally thought Newell was very poor particularly second half gave the ball away so many times and looked goosed. Would have subbed him rather than Jdh.

I listened on Radio, so can't comment on individual performances, but I'm not surprised about tiredness in players. It's a hard run of games we've had, particularly in the wake of covid infections.

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2021, 12:10 PM

Newall strolled it 2nd half, by far our best player. Didn't look goosed at all, was charging down the left in the last 10 minutes.

JimBHibees
16-12-2021, 04:05 PM
Newall strolled it 2nd half, by far our best player. Didn't look goosed at all, was charging down the left in the last 10 minutes.

Wow must have been watching a different game gave the ball away loads and failed to pick his man up.

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2021, 04:06 PM
Wow must have been watching a different game gave the ball away loads and failed to pick his man up.

When did he fail to pick his man up?

Guy strolled it. Sponsors agreed.

04Sauzee
16-12-2021, 04:08 PM

Sounds like it, any ideas what game it was ??

JimBHibees
16-12-2021, 04:08 PM
When did he fail to pick his man up?

Guy strolled it. Sponsors agreed.

Anderson played the ball out left Newell followed the ball only for the ball to be played inside to Anderson. Sponsors are notoriously half jaked are they not. :greengrin Folk around me were laughing when he got announced.

JimBHibees
16-12-2021, 04:09 PM
Sounds like it, any ideas what game it was ??

Dundee or was it Livingston :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2021, 04:10 PM
Anderson played the ball out left Newell followed the ball only for the ball to be played inside to Anderson. Sponsors are notoriously half jaked are they not. :greengrin Folk around me were laughing when he got announced.

Well, your eyesight issues must be contagious. Newall was very good.

JimBHibees
16-12-2021, 04:11 PM

In your opinion of course. Thought he was poor especially second half.

Northernhibee

Agreed, composed and a good performance.

bigwheel

Not around me Jim , people were saying they thought him or Porto were MOM before it was announced . I thought he was excellent throughout …

JimBHibees
16-12-2021, 04:13 PM
Not around me Jim , people were saying they thought him or Porto were MOM before it was announced . I thought he was excellent throughout …

Fair does. :aok: life would be boring if everyone had the same view.

MWHIBBIES

Obviously its my opinion, I'm posting it mate.

LaMotta

Not the way I seen it Jim but opinions and all that.

I think Newell is at his best when we go ahead in a game. His composure in tight situations, ball retention, and physicality are brilliant. Rarely gives the ball away and slows the game down to take the heat off - so ideal in that scenario.

I think when we are chasing the game he is at his least effective as we need a bit more urgency ( see cup final v St Johnstone).

JimBHibees
16-12-2021, 04:14 PM
Obviously its my opinion, I'm posting it mate.

Sorry the way you posted was as if it was a fact.

Tyler Durden
16-12-2021, 04:14 PM

The BBC match report gave Newell MOTM aswell.

JimBHibees
16-12-2021, 04:17 PM
Not the way I seen it Jim but opinions and all that.

I think Newell is at his best when we go ahead in a game. His composure in tight situations, ball retention, and physicality are brilliant. Rarely gives the ball away and slows the game down to take the heat off - so ideal in that scenario.

I think when we are chasing the game he is at his least effective as we need a bit more urgency ( see cup final v St Johnstone).

Fair enough was maybe on a downer on him as you say he is very up and down and a bit of a barometer of the team in that he can be good and other games frustratingly ineffectual. Always think he should pass the ball forward much more than he does and should receive on the half turn more rather than popping the ball back to the centre backs.

JimBHibees
16-12-2021, 04:18 PM
The BBC match report gave Newell MOTM aswell.

Yeah but that was probably that fat hertz clown McLaughlin. :greengrin

Anthony Soprano
16-12-2021, 04:35 PM

I would’ve said Porto, can’t remember him putting a foot wrong, Newell and Campbell also good.

My only real issue with the midfield is not looking for the ball when building out from the back and we end up under pressure and either go back to keeper or punt it long and lose the ball.

Tambo
18-12-2021, 07:08 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/die-hard-hibs-fan-josh-campbell-recalls-his-day-in-2016-3499644

Unseen work
27-12-2021, 07:09 PM
Think Josh has played very well the last 2 games again in a different and deeper role.

Aberdeen I imagine it took him some time to get used to and especially playing with Gogic who he’s not before.

Yesterday I thought he was really good. He covers every blade of grass and properly gets in the face of the opposition, not one that half does it or half hearts it. The young man doesn’t stop and plays with a real maturity.

But on the ball I think he has a real quality and confidence in himself too. Some of the passes he sprayed wide yesterday were brilliant and he was unlucky Cadden had a poor touch for one because if not he was through. He also drove at the opposition and played a nice backheel wide for Doig I think it was.

I know a lot don’t see what he does for whatever reason but he’s been in the starting like up for 1 month!

I think he’ll develop into a very good centre mid for us as he’s capable of everything. Defensively, attacking and quality on the ball - he also has a brilliant attitude and wants to be here.

Gmack7
27-12-2021, 07:22 PM
Definitely more effective in the deeper role

Billy Whizz
27-12-2021, 07:23 PM
Definitely more effective in the deeper role

Not so sure, after Kyle of all our midfielders, he’ll score the most goals