PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson Contract Extension

SteveHFC
17-11-2021, 03:05 PM
Signed a extension to 2023.

JohnM1875
17-11-2021, 03:06 PM
Another one that's fully deserved after Hanlon yesterday. Pleased at this. Can see Lewis getting a lot of game time over the next few months.

RossScott1991
Mr Hibs.

I’d start him on Sunday tbh.

blackpoolhibs
5 4 3 2 1 blast off.

Hibbyradge
17-11-2021, 03:09 PM
Excellent. One of the most dependable, professional players we've had.

He's a very fine example to the younger lads and his presence around the club is great for continuity.

Well deserved.

hibee
17-11-2021, 03:13 PM
Great news, he’s the best example we have of how young players should train and apply themselves to have a great chance of a long and successful career.

JXM73
17-11-2021, 03:14 PM
Surely garry oconnor must be due a new contract too?

Stuart93
17-11-2021, 03:17 PM
More than handy as back up when he’s been called upon

Doidge next please

Mon Dieu4
17-11-2021, 03:22 PM
Well done Hibs and Lewis

MartinfaePorty
17-11-2021, 03:25 PM
Well done Lewis! Great example to the young lads.

MartinfaePorty
17-11-2021, 03:26 PM
5 4 3 2 1 blast off.

Yep, the rockets are out again on social media and bonus points for replying with a 'funny' GIF.

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2021, 03:28 PM
Yep, the rockets are out again on social media and bonus points for replying with a 'funny' GIF.

Madness, he is still a 7 out of 10 player, and he's a back up squad man.

Billy Whizz
17-11-2021, 03:29 PM
Congratulations Lewis

Brightside
17-11-2021, 03:31 PM
Remains an excellent squad player. Great news.

Shrekko
17-11-2021, 03:32 PM
Madness, he is still a 7 out of 10 player, and he's a back up squad man.

And that’s actually the least he is …

You can also argue that he’s still our best all round left back. I think so but can see an argument both ways and certainly don’t mind Doig being given the chance to shine.

Twitter hasn’t let us down I see but I’m starting to notice it’s the same names every time. Almost like it’s their full time job - hating Hibs.

Stuart93
17-11-2021, 03:37 PM
And that’s actually the least he is …

You can also argue that he’s still our best all round left back. I think so but can see an argument both ways and certainly don’t mind Doig being given the chance to shine.

Twitter hasn’t let us down I see but I’m starting to notice it’s the same names every time. Almost like it’s their full time job - hating Hibs.

It’s a bunch of wee boys

loanheadhibby
Another one that's fully deserved after Hanlon yesterday. Pleased at this. Can see Lewis getting a lot of game time over the next few months.
I know I won't be popular but this is non news.
Giving Hanlon and Stevenson contract extensions is a step back.
They are pretty much finished and if we're not careful we'll fall further and further behind the Hearts.
Both have been great servants to the club but time waits for no player.

Diclonius
It wouldn't really feel like Christmas without a Lewis Stevenson contract extension, would it?

Since90+2
You wouldn't imagine he'll be playing many games next season but he's deserving of the new contract for reasons already mentioned above.

Since90+2
17-11-2021, 03:38 PM
They are pretty much finished and if we're not careful we'll fall further and further behind the Hearts.

Hanlon is 31. He's not finished, he won't improve I'll give you that, but it's pretty much the prime age for a centre half.

Mon Dieu4
17-11-2021, 03:47 PM

Lewis does more than just play, he's a model professional and Doig has already mentioned how much he helps him, can't do any harm to keep him about longer imo

Pretty Boy
17-11-2021, 03:50 PM
Another year for a decent squad player and amazing role model. No brainer.

loanheadhibby
17-11-2021, 03:58 PM
Another year for a decent squad player and amazing role model. No brainer.
Where is our ambition?

J-C
17-11-2021, 04:04 PM
He's been working very closely with Doig and Mackie when he was fit, his role now is pass on all his knowledge to the young lads and make them better, he'll end up like SDG on the coaching staff either senior or youth level. In his interview last season he spoke about understanding he was in his last few years of his career and was happy to help out the youngsters to make them better.

greenlex
17-11-2021, 04:08 PM
I get your concern but giving these two players contract extensions gives us options whilst retaining their experience. In a year or two they might not be first team picks but having them as back up whilst retaining that experience in the club is a good thing.

Rumble de Thump
17-11-2021, 04:11 PM
Where is our ambition?

Would losing decent, experienced players from our squad show much ambition?

MWHIBBIES
17-11-2021, 04:13 PM

Hanlon is 31. I cannot ****ing fathom this time argument with him. He has shown no signs whatsoever of physical decline. He isn't finished at all. 31 is a good age for a defender.

Italy won the euros with a 36 and a 38 year old defender, both of which are noticeably worse than in their prime. Still top quality players, though. Hanlon hasn't actually declined.

They've been a lot ****ing more than servants to this club as well. They have been quality players for years.

17-11-2021, 04:19 PM

Agree Loanhead. Is it the best use of club resources?

We should be looking forward as a club.

jeffers
17-11-2021, 04:23 PM
I’m a bit surprised it’s been done now tbh. I like him, but it’s not as if there was likely to be any concerns with him signing a pre contract with another club in January, so I don’t know why it wasn’t left until the end of this season. He’ll be 34 in January which is pretty old for a player, never mind a full back. Though I doubt he’s on much.

17-11-2021, 04:27 PM
Hanlon is 31. I cannot ****ing fathom this time argument with him. He has shown no signs whatsoever of physical decline. He isn't finished at all. 31 is a good age for a defender.

Italy won the euros with a 36 and a 38 year old defender, both of which are noticeably worse than in their prime. Still top quality players, though. Hanlon hasn't actually declined.

They've been a lot ****ing more than servants to this club as well. They have been quality players for years.

Why is Hanlon not in the Scotland Squad?

Pretty Boy
17-11-2021, 04:29 PM
Where is our ambition?

If LS is starting on the left side of our defence come August next year then I'll worry about lack of ambition. If he is a dependable squad player for another season, which is what I suspect is the case, then that's fine imo.

I don't buy into the point made on the other thread that anyone who played in 2016 should just keep getting contracts indefinitely. If they cease to contribute then football is a tough business, not one based on sentiment. A lack of contribution doesn't apply to either Stevenson or Hanlon though. Their roles will likely evolve, in the cas sof Stevenson it already has, but they still have a part to play in a a range of ways.

Pretty Boy
17-11-2021, 04:30 PM

Because the players who are in the squad are better than him.

He's still a good player though.

MWHIBBIES
17-11-2021, 04:32 PM

You'd have to ask Steve Clarke. Why do you think that is relevant to his ability to play for Hibs?

Some of Hibs best ever Scottish players never made Scotland squads, and this is the best Scotland squad in decades.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-11-2021, 04:33 PM
If LS is starting on the left side of our defence come August next year then I'll worry about lack of ambition. If he is a dependable squad player for another season, which is what I suspect is the case, then that's fine imo.

I don't buy into the point made on the other thread that anyone who played in 2016 should just keep getting contracts indefinitely. If they cease to contribute then football is a tough business, not one based on sentiment. A lack of contribution doesn't apply to either Stevenson or Hanlon though. Their roles will likely evolve, in the cas sof Stevenson it already has, but they still have a part to play in a a range of ways.

Yes, we’ve seen the flip side of “players” that don’t give a stuff about the club and we should not be too quick to dismantle a culture that these players helped cultivate. Their roles should and are evolving.

Smartie
17-11-2021, 04:34 PM
I'd argue he's played as well as he ever has when he's been called upon this season and an argument could be made that he's deserving of starting games ahead of Doig.

With a player like that around Doig knows he can't rest on his laurels - which is exactly what he needs at this stage in his career too, to be pushed for his place.

This is more good news.

If we had the depth up front we have for the left back position, we'd probably be at least half a dozen points better off.

gbhibby
17-11-2021, 04:39 PM
Due another goal against The Rangers. Great example to other players. Mr Hibs.

Carheenlea
17-11-2021, 04:46 PM
Would rather have Stevenson and Hanlon in our squad that not. Lewis still has plenty to offer.

Ronniekirk
17-11-2021, 05:02 PM
Due another goal against The Rangers. Great example to other players. Mr Hibs.

I love the wee fella and he gives his all when he is called upon
Could easily play in the league below us given his fitness level
But he has beenLoyal and assume won’t be one of our top earners
I would give him another Testimonial Game in 2023
I get some peoples concern about how do we improve going forward but next two transfer windows will address that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
17-11-2021, 05:04 PM
You'd have to ask Steve Clarke. Why do you think that is relevant to his ability to play for Hibs?

Some of Hibs best ever Scottish players never made Scotland squads, and this is the best Scotland squad in decades.

Absolutely spot on.

jakedance
17-11-2021, 05:07 PM
I'd argue he's played as well as he ever has when he's been called upon this season and an argument could be made that he's deserving of starting games ahead of Doig.

With a player like that around Doig knows he can't rest on his laurels - which is exactly what he needs at this stage in his career too, to be pushed for his place.

This is more good news.

If we had the depth up front we have for the left back position, we'd probably be at least half a dozen points better off.

Entirely agree. If we had more players of the quality of LS as squad players then we’d be in great shape. I’d have no problems with Lewis starting games. Rarely puts a foot wrong and has kept many a good player quiet.

BILLYHIBS
17-11-2021, 05:07 PM
Squad Player

No qualms about him starting on Sunday

Model professional and a credit to himself his family and Hibernian Football Club

Keep playing for as long as you can and at the highest level you can

wookie70
17-11-2021, 05:32 PM
More good news. I think he has played very well when called on this year and he probably should have had more game time imo. I hope he finishes his career at Hibs it would be fitting for such a brilliant Hibs man

HibbyAndy
17-11-2021, 05:49 PM
Fantastic news :aok:

Since452
17-11-2021, 06:08 PM
Great backup and mentoring for Doig. Happy with this.

loanheadhibby
17-11-2021, 08:04 PM
He's not good enough,simple as that or Clarke would have him in.

B.H.F.C
17-11-2021, 08:17 PM

I’m no Paul Hanlon’s biggest fan but that shouldn’t really be a criticism of him. We’ve got a number of players playing at a higher level. Hanlon is a decent player at our level.

weecounty hibby
17-11-2021, 08:21 PM

The very same Paul Hanlon who recently played for Scotland? He is down the list of Scotland CHs but was deemed good enough by Clark to play. No issues with a contract for him and all this pish about not playing for Scotland or no teams want to buy him is school playground stuff. He is still a good player. If we can get better then great, if not then he is a decent SPFL top league player.

HendoDelivered
17-11-2021, 08:24 PM

Whats the obsession with Hearts?

Radium
17-11-2021, 08:31 PM
The consummate professional who has supported the younger players brought through to replace him and performed on the pitch when needed.

He is seen day in, day out by the coaching team and monitored by medical team so it they see another year in the squad what is there not to be pleased about.

Matches with Ben’s comments on the podcast around only being able to concentrate on retaining players just now.

Hibees1973
17-11-2021, 08:43 PM
Agree with a few comments on this thread.

Hanlon & Stevenson are a couple of steady 7 out of 10 performers each week, with the odd howler thrown in now and again.

A large part of me thinks these are loyalty contracts. Remember just a couple of years back Gray & MacGregor were both awarded 4 year playing contracts and neither of them hardly kicked a ball on a consistent basis due to injuries and their age.

All four have legendary status due to the 2016 cup win, however there is a time to move on from the past and that time is now as far as Hanlon & Stevenson are concerned.

Difficult decisions must be made at all clubs. I think we have become soft.

JohnMcM
17-11-2021, 08:46 PM
So pleased I looked in on the forum tonight. It’s another piece of good news, for Lewis, for Doig, for Mackie, for Hibs and us fans as far as I’m concerned.

I’ll check the odds for him to score the winner on Sunday now:greengrin

B.H.F.C
17-11-2021, 08:48 PM

Hanlon & Stevenson are a couple of steady 7 out of 10 performers each week, with the odd howler thrown in now and again.

A large part of me thinks these are loyalty contracts. Remember just a couple of years back Gray & MacGregor were both awarded 4 year playing contracts and neither of them hardly kicked a ball on a consistent basis due to injuries and their age.

All four have legendary status due to the 2016 cup win, however there is a time to move on from the past and that time is now as far as Hanlon & Stevenson are concerned.

Hanlon hasn’t got his contract out of a sense of loyalty. He’s club captain and plays every week. So whatever anyone thinks of him, JR wants him in the team.

Smartie
17-11-2021, 08:52 PM

The issue with passing too much comment on the Gray and McGregor contracts is… we know little about the detail of those contracts. We automatically assume they’re for really big bucks, therefore as neither player has played much they haven’t represented value.

They might have represented great value based on how much the players have been paid relative to what they’ve contributed off the park, neither of which we know much or anything about.

Based on playing contributions up to now, both Hanlon and Stevenson have earned these contracts.

Hibbyradge
17-11-2021, 09:03 PM

I agree. We should only sign players who are in the Scotland squad and if they drop out, we should move them on.

Iggy Pope
17-11-2021, 09:07 PM
Anyone who was at Easter Road tonight knows the worth of this wee fellah and Paul Hanlon to our club.

loanheadhibby
17-11-2021, 09:14 PM
I agree. We should only sign players who are in the Scotland squad and if they drop out, we should move them on.

Thanks for taking that completely out of context.

loanheadhibby
17-11-2021, 09:20 PM
I think to say they are finished is stretching it a bit.
It’s probably unfair on yourself to say you being unpopular is non news too.

Unpopular as I don’t share the opinion of some. I can live with that to be fair.

Why would you give a 31 year old player a 3 year deal? Surely he’s at an age now it’s annual contracts?

We were suckered with 4 year playing deals with Gray and McGregor. Appreciate these guys are legends but that’s 4 salaries tied up.

Since90+2
17-11-2021, 09:25 PM
Unpopular as I don’t share the opinion of some. I can live with that to be fair.

Why would you give a 31 year old player a 3 year deal? Surely he’s at an age now it’s annual contracts?

We were suckered with 4 year playing deals with Gray and McGregor. Appreciate these guys are legends but that’s 4 salaries tied up.

You're making out 31 is old. It's not. It's arguably the prime years for a centre half.

loanheadhibby
17-11-2021, 09:30 PM
You're making out 31 is old. It's not. It's arguably the prime years for a centre half.

In the top flight in England, very few players over 30 get more than a 12 month deal.

Sadly time waits on no man. Once you’re in your 30’s, you are far more susceptible to injury. Look at how many games Gray/McGregor played after getting 4 year deals.

With benefit of hindsight, from a playing point of view, those 4 year contracts were a complete waste of money.

Rumble de Thump
17-11-2021, 09:40 PM
Lewis Stevenson is one of the fittest players in our sqaud. If our younger players look after themselves like he has then they'll likely also be playing well into their 30s.

Hibbyradge
17-11-2021, 09:51 PM
Thanks for taking that completely out of context.

I took it in the exact context that you, and the poster to whom you replied, meant.

However, the truth is that Paul Hanlon is good enough to play for Scotland, but there are even better players ahead of him.

Hibbyradge
17-11-2021, 09:53 PM

It was a 2 year deal.

easty
17-11-2021, 11:11 PM
In the top flight in England, very few players over 30 get more than a 12 month deal.

I think you’ve just made that up.

The 90+2
17-11-2021, 11:17 PM
Signed a extension to 2023.

I love him. Well done Mr 2.

The 90+2
17-11-2021, 11:18 PM

Sadly time waits on no man. Once you’re in your 30’s, you are far more susceptible to injury. Look at how many games Gray/McGregor played after getting 4 year deals.

With benefit of hindsight, from a playing point of view, those 4 year contracts were a complete waste of money.

What rubbish 🤣

17-11-2021, 11:29 PM

They aren't 4 year playing deals. They're 4 year playing/coaching/ambassador deals.

MWHIBBIES
18-11-2021, 04:25 AM

Completely untrue. Its literally the policy of Chelsea, no one else. If you are good enough, age doesn't matter.

ajf
18-11-2021, 05:03 AM
Didn't Arsenal do it under Wenger ? No idea if it's still their policy.

Crunchie
18-11-2021, 05:03 AM
Agreed, sending out the wrong message signing up players into their mid 30's Hibs legends or not. We did the same with SDG and Daz and barely got a season out of either.
We need to be strengthening the back 4 big time not plodding along with journeymen.

Allant1981
18-11-2021, 05:13 AM
Agreed, sending out the wrong message signing up players into their mid 30's Hibs legends or not. We did the same with SDG and Daz and barely got a season out of either.
We need to be strengthening the back 4 big time not plodding along with journeymen.

Ypu still need a squad of players not just a starting 11, LS and PH are more than good enough to be part of our squad

Stuart93
18-11-2021, 05:30 AM

“Plodding along with journeymen” who’s the journeymen???

Since452
18-11-2021, 05:35 AM
Too many folk playing Football Manager 2021 I think. Hanlon and Stevenson signing on is excellent. Won't get a better back up LB than Lewis who will also be helping Doig. Hanlon is first choice CB and captain!

Aldo
18-11-2021, 06:13 AM

So if a quality player like Ronaldo(36) , Vardy(34) or Pierre-Emmerick Aubameyang(32) became available but would only sign if they got 2 year deal you wouldn’t because they are too old?

What about Sauzee??

Players nowadays tend to look after themselves a lot better.

Age doesn’t mean anything imho. If a player has quality and brings quality to the club and can still do a job I’d say sign them up!

As for your 4 year waste of money comment - others have mentioned this but who knows what the terms of the con tracts are?

Once again you court controversy about players or the club!

loanheadhibby
18-11-2021, 06:36 AM
Completely untrue. Its literally the policy of Chelsea, no one else. If you are good enough, age doesn't matter.

So not completely untrue then? It’s a policy of Chelsea, Arsenal and was recently for Man Utd?

Since90+2
18-11-2021, 06:38 AM
So not completely untrue then? It’s a policy of Chelsea, Arsenal and was recently for Man Utd?

You said very few players in the Premier League in England got more than 12 months in their 30s. It's complete made up nonsense.

loanheadhibby
18-11-2021, 06:41 AM
So if a quality player like Ronaldo(36) , Vardy(34) or Pierre-Emmerick Aubameyang(32) became available but would only sign if they got 2 year deal you wouldn’t because they are too old?

What about Sauzee??

Players nowadays tend to look after themselves a lot better.

Age doesn’t mean anything imho. If a player has quality and brings quality to the club and can still do a job I’d say sign them up!

As for your 4 year waste of money comment - others have mentioned this but who knows what the terms of the con tracts are?

Once again you court controversy about players or the club!

Why does it matter what the terms of the contract are? Why did we give 4 year deals to Gray & McGregor? We had virtually no return on 8 years worth of contracts.

Why not give them a 1 year contract? I could see the point in giving out 2 or 3 year deals if other clubs were ready to pounce. With respect to both these guys, it’s unlikely either would command any sort of fee.

loanheadhibby
18-11-2021, 06:42 AM
I think you’ve just made that up.

I accept your apology

Aldo
18-11-2021, 06:55 AM
Why does it matter what the terms of the contract are? Why did we give 4 year deals to Gray & McGregor? We had virtually no return on 8 years worth of contracts.

Why not give them a 1 year contract? I could see the point in giving out 2 or 3 year deals if other clubs were ready to pounce. With respect to both these guys, it’s unlikely either would command any sort of fee.

You’re at it! Your last paragraph confirms this to me!

loanheadhibby
18-11-2021, 06:58 AM
You’re at it! Your last paragraph confirms this to me!

Which part? Do you think either player would command a big fee from Celtic or Rangers?

Aldo
18-11-2021, 07:02 AM
Which part? Do you think either player would command a big fee from Celtic or Rangers?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji112]

MWHIBBIES
18-11-2021, 07:52 AM

It's not a policy of Arsenal. Maybe was in aboit 2006 when Pires left. Aubameyang recently signed a huge 3 year deal aged 30.

United just sign a 37 year old for 2 years. Also recently signed Zlatan for 2 years who was 35ish at the time.

easty
18-11-2021, 08:00 AM
I accept your apology

I’m sorry I said I think you made it up…I should’ve actually said - you’ve just pulled that ***** out of your arse.

Aldo
18-11-2021, 08:24 AM
It's not a policy of Arsenal. Maybe was in aboit 2006 when Pires left. Aubameyang recently signed a huge 3 year deal aged 30.

United just sign a 37 year old for 2 years. Also recently signed Zlatan for 2 years who was 35ish at the time.

Aye But, but……

MW remember what you have posted is fact! That will not go down well!

jacomo
18-11-2021, 09:07 AM

Both contracts were described as player / coaching contracts. SDG is coaching, Daz is still in the first team squad.

As always, without knowing the terms and structure of the deal (which we will never know), criticism like this is a bit ridiculous.

Since452
18-11-2021, 09:07 AM
Do you suddenly become an invalid when you turn 30? Is it the day after you turn 30 or a few weeks/months later?

CMurdoch
18-11-2021, 09:19 AM
The current Hibs manager and board don't do sentiment, legend or any other non merit stuff. Nothing personal from Ross but they use up his playing budget.
As soon as players are done he eases them out the team and then out the door. See Vela, Shaw, Kamberi, Mallen, Murray, S McGinn etc

2 year contract extention for 31 year old Hanlon was a no brainer for both parties. He has ability. No recurring injury issues and has not been sent off for over a decade so generally available to play. Would cost £500k and bigger wages to replace like for like.
Stevenson would have been a bigger decision at 33 but vitally he again has no recurring injury issues and is still the best defensive left back at the club. Along with his mentoring roll Ross must see him as worth the spend for another year.
So both players extentions are on merit and to think otherwise does them and Jack Ross a big dis-service.

For similar reasons of merit Ross will ease McGregor into playing retirement in the summer as he did with Gray last season, Allen, Wright and others will be out the door on merit as well. Calculations will be made about the likes of Murphy. Cost to the playing budget against what he offers and recurring injuries are a big consideration.

In conclusion well done to Lewis on earning another year at Hibs. A great achievement.

loanheadhibby
18-11-2021, 09:31 AM
Both contracts were described as player / coaching contracts. SDG is coaching, Daz is still in the first team squad.

As always, without knowing the terms and structure of the deal (which we will never know), criticism like this is a bit ridiculous.

Do you think we as a club have had value from either 4 year contract?

MrRobot
18-11-2021, 09:31 AM
legend

bigwheel
18-11-2021, 09:34 AM

Yes.

loanheadhibby
18-11-2021, 09:35 AM
Aye But, but……

MW remember what you have posted is fact! That will not go down well!

So you are agreeing there is a policy for certain clubs down south or have I just made it up?

I’m not adverse to people getting 3 year contracts. However my preference would be 1 year contracts to players over 30.

loanheadhibby
18-11-2021, 09:36 AM
Yes.

No issue with that at all. That’s your opinion.

I think the club may have got better value using the funds elsewhere.

Rumble de Thump
18-11-2021, 09:38 AM

What funds were used?

bigwheel
18-11-2021, 09:39 AM

Still getting value . SDG is a first team
Coach, Darren will be available to play and helping the development of young players every day…

It’s was always recognised that it was a contract for more than playing ..was , and remains , a smart
Move . Hasn’t stopped us bringing in players . Think you are making a much bigger issue of it than it is .

And in terms of Hanlon and Stevenson, they are more than worth their extensions . They will add value on the pitch and off. Both them realise they will have new competition going forward .

J-C
18-11-2021, 09:40 AM

Give it a ****ing rest, the negativity on here concerning Lewis and Paul is quite sickening and makes it very hard to believe some who post are actually Hibs fans.

Aldo
18-11-2021, 09:45 AM
Still getting value . SDG is a first team
Coach, Darren will be available to play and helping the development of young players every day…

It’s was always recognised that it was a contract for more than playing ..was , and remains , a smart
Move . Hasn’t stopped us bringing in players . Think you are making a much bigger issue of it than it is .

And in terms of Hanlon and Stevenson, they are more than worth their extensions . They will add value on the pitch and off. Both them realise they will have new competition going forward .

Your last paragraph is spot on. Doig has recently said Lewis has been there to help and support throughout.

Aldo
18-11-2021, 09:46 AM
So you are agreeing there is a policy for certain clubs down south or have I just made it up?

I’m not adverse to people getting 3 year contracts. However my preference would be 1 year contracts to players over 30.

Agreeing with nothing and if you had read my previous posts my answer is there.

You don’t like Hibs much do you?

If you do you’ve a strange way of showing it.

easty
18-11-2021, 10:36 AM

Even if anyone agrees that 1 or 2 clubs in the Prem have this policy, that's still a massive leap from "very few players over 30 get more than a 12 month deal".

superfurryhibby
18-11-2021, 10:48 AM
I think Lewis has done enough on the field to show he's worth another season after this one. He's dependable cover for our young left back and we know he can step in and perform when called upon. It's not about sentiment, it's all about his ability to do a job.

FWIW, the 4 year deals offered to SDG and Daz are not relevant to either Stevenson or Hanlon. Different kind of deals and different circumstances in terms of the playing side. I expect both players to contribute until their contracts end.

loanheadhibby
18-11-2021, 11:38 AM
Give it a ****ing rest, the negativity on here concerning Lewis and Paul is quite sickening and makes it very hard to believe some who post are actually Hibs fans.

I was only offering an opinion. It concerns me that you get so sick and upset over a simple opinion but you go girl.

18-11-2021, 11:38 AM
Do you suddenly become an invalid when you turn 30? Is it the day after you turn 30 or a few weeks/months later?

Depends on when you sign a Hibs contract.

JimBHibees
18-11-2021, 11:39 AM
So good news story turned into a pop at the club. Way to go almost like an agenda at play.

J-C
18-11-2021, 11:41 AM
I was only offering an opinion. It concerns me that you get so sick and upset over a simple opinion but you go girl.

I've yet to see you say anything positive in relation to Hibs on this forum, I'm by no means a so called happy clapper and do my fair share of moaning but you and a few others on here take hating all things Hibs to a new level.

loanheadhibby
18-11-2021, 11:42 AM
So good news story turned into a pop at the club. Way to go almost like an agenda at play.

Or fans forum where people have different views use it to debate. It's almost like the forum is working well.

JimBHibees
18-11-2021, 11:55 AM
Or fans forum where people have different views use it to debate. It's almost like the forum is working well.

Seems a very trivial thing to get exasperated over.

Crammond Hibee
18-11-2021, 11:59 AM
Excellent. One of the most dependable, professional players we've had.

He's a very fine example to the younger lads and his presence around the club is great for continuity.

Well deserved.

I agree wholeheartedly
Says it all

loanheadhibby
18-11-2021, 12:11 PM
Seems a very trivial thing to get exasperated over.

I totally agree on that. Some of the reactions are just embarrassing for supposedly grown people.

Always healthy to have a decent debate tho.

He’s a terrific guy and has been a great servant of the club.

CMurdoch
18-11-2021, 12:12 PM

I was very vocal on here about those contracts at the time because of the recurring injury records of both players but as other posters rightly pointed out I didn't know the terms of the contracts so couldn't make an informed judgement on them. I still think they were insane contracts and that Ross and Gordon would have cancelled them if they could have but they are stuck paying for another 18 months. To be fair to Daz he managed to pull out great performances last season.

The new contracts of Hanlon and Stevenson are completely different. Both players have no recurring injury issues and the club will get great value from both.

JimBHibees
18-11-2021, 12:26 PM
I totally agree on that. Some of the reactions are just embarrassing for supposedly grown people.

Always healthy to have a decent debate tho.

He’s a terrific guy and has been a great servant of the club.

Agree you need to learn to calm down a bit. :greengrin

loanheadhibby
18-11-2021, 12:34 PM
Agree you need to learn to calm down a bit. :greengrin

I’ll certainly try. However, If it’s not going our way on Sunday and you see some lunatic running on the pitch trying to clear a floated corner in front of Hanlon, you’ll know it’s me ⚽️😃

bigwheel
18-11-2021, 12:48 PM
I’ll certainly try. However, If it’s not going our way on Sunday and you see some lunatic running on the pitch trying to clear a floated corner in front of Hanlon, you’ll know it’s me ⚽️[emoji2]

[emoji1787]

JimBHibees
18-11-2021, 12:55 PM
I’ll certainly try. However, If it’s not going our way on Sunday and you see some lunatic running on the pitch trying to clear a floated corner in front of Hanlon, you’ll know it’s me ⚽️😃

:greengrin :not worth

MWHIBBIES
18-11-2021, 02:21 PM

There is a policy at Chelsea right now. Chelsea and their transfer dealings are in no way similar to a club like Hibs. It's a ridiculous idea for a club like Hibs to have a policy like that.

It's only very recent at Chelsea as well, mainly because it has suited them and the players over 30 have been squad players like Giroud. Give them 30 year old lampard, Drogba or Terry and they'd be offering 3 years.

Stevie Reid
18-11-2021, 03:09 PM
I remember being at Tannadice for the first game of the 2012/13 season. Obviously it was only three months after that day in May, and I was infuriated at how meek and insipid our performance was after we were easily beaten 3-0. I'm not, and never have been one for slating players at games, or on here, but as we walked back to the car that day, I remember saying to the others that I'd gone to the game with that I didn't want Hanlon, Stevenson or Wotherspoon to play for us again.

It's amazing to think that over nine years on from that, I am absolutely delighted that it looks like both Paul and Lewis will finish their careers with us. Both have been amazing servants to the club, and are genuine legends.

Love them both.

weecounty hibby
18-11-2021, 04:11 PM
I remember being at Tannadice for the first game of the 2012/13 season. Obviously it was only three months after that day in May, and I was infuriated at how meek and insipid our performance was after we were easily beaten 3-0. I'm not, and never have been one for slating players at games, or on here, but as we walked back to the car that day, I remember saying to the others that I'd gone to the game with that I didn't want Hanlon, Stevenson or Wotherspoon to play for us again.

It's amazing to think that over nine years on from that, I am absolutely delighted that it looks like both Paul and Lewis will finish their careers with us. Both have been amazing servants to the club, and are genuine legends.

Love them both.
Agreed. And wotherspoon has two Scottish Cups and a league Cup under his belt!!

Stevie Reid
18-11-2021, 04:13 PM
Agreed. And wotherspoon has two Scottish Cups and a league Cup under his belt!!

Indeed! All had very good careers.

worcesterhibby
19-11-2021, 04:22 PM
just realised I haven't posted on this thread...I just have to..brilliant to have LS on a new contract..love the guy. If everyone in the country was as hard working, loyal, honest and genuinely as good a guy as Lewis, the world would be a better place.