04Sauzee
16-11-2021, 05:00 PM
Just signed an extension to his contract to the summer of 2024

Northernhibee
16-11-2021, 05:01 PM
Excellent news 👍

wookie70
16-11-2021, 05:01 PM
Excellent news. Hope he finishes his career here.

lord bunberry
16-11-2021, 05:06 PM
Well deserved.

Since452
16-11-2021, 05:10 PM
Happy with this news.

SteveHFC
16-11-2021, 05:11 PM
Reaction hasn't went down well on Twitter.

Pretty Boy
16-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Happy with that.

I think it's a given we will add a couple to the back line in January and the summer but with McGregor likely to be close to the end of his Hibs career the continuity this offers is welcome.

Billy Whizz
Delighted for Paul, fully deserves it

Pretty Boy

What a shock. It's fighting a losing battle trying to be remotely positive about Hibs on there.

Scottie
16-11-2021, 05:13 PM
1 club man. Thoroughly deserved Paul. :not worth

Since452
16-11-2021, 05:15 PM
What a shock. It's fighting a losing battle trying to be remotely positive about Hibs on there.

The breeding ground of morons.

16-11-2021, 05:15 PM

The Twittertwati?

Stuart93
16-11-2021, 05:16 PM
Opinions eh. Unsure how I feel about the length of the deal.

Would still like to bring in another couple CB’s to provide competition as it’s an area we’ve struggled in this season so far

Fwiw, definitely an asset when he’s at the top of his game

Lago
16-11-2021, 05:18 PM
I sometimes feel the same on here.

jacomo
16-11-2021, 05:19 PM

Twitter knows best. Twitter is god.

As well as being unhappy with this news, I’ve learned that man made climate change is a myth and all women in the public eye are asking for sexual violence.

bigwheel
16-11-2021, 05:20 PM
Great news - delighted for us and him

BroxburnHibee
16-11-2021, 05:20 PM

Just read some of it. Absolutely shocking.

I laugh when people claim its all doom and gloom on here....

B.H.F.C
16-11-2021, 05:21 PM
Needs to find his form again now this is sorted. Was our best centre half last year but has really struggled this year.

Pretty Boy
16-11-2021, 05:21 PM
I sometimes feel the same on here.

This place certainly isn't without it's faults and there has definitely been a rise in extreme reactions in the last couple of years.

There is still a decent number of balanced posters though who can construct an argument that extends beyond a pitiful meme or telling the club to '**** off' repeatedly. Twitter is almost exclusively abuse of the club or abuse of people who don't seem to hate the club.

HTD1875
16-11-2021, 05:23 PM
Seems to be a strange move, The club were very keen to bring in McCart to replace him in the summer and now we’ve given him a lengthy contract.

Eaststand
16-11-2021, 05:23 PM
Just signed an extension to his contract to the summer of 2024

Excellent news.
Paul Hanlon is one of the best players we've had in my time watching our team.

GGTTH

CraigHibee
16-11-2021, 05:24 PM

positive news never does, surprised half of them know how to use the internet

The Spaceman
16-11-2021, 05:26 PM
What ever happened to RSS Bot?

Weegreenman
16-11-2021, 05:27 PM
Almost guaranteed to be in the starting eleven week in, week out with little or no competition probably doesn’t do him or the team any favours.

He’s a steady middle of the road type. I’m happy for him but we need to have more competition for every position on the park.

Unseen work
16-11-2021, 05:31 PM
Happy with that.

A good defender and I doubt we could get much better for the money we pay him. Something Stevenson alluded to about him and Hanlon in an interview.

I think he’ll take over Mcgregors role and we’ll sign another centre half in his mid twenties to compete and take over the starting position, like McCart

Allant1981
16-11-2021, 05:37 PM
Seems to be a strange move, The club were very keen to bring in McCart to replace him in the summer and now we’ve given him a lengthy contract.

Was it to replace hanlon, must have missed that report

JohnMcM
16-11-2021, 05:39 PM
Very happy with this news. A richly deserved, very sensible and good for the team decision.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-11-2021, 05:39 PM

Quelle surprise. Much of the internet space you could script. And many do. Pathetic.

Smartie
16-11-2021, 05:44 PM
1 club man. Thoroughly deserved Paul. :not worth

Loan spell at St Johnstone.

Wonderful servant, excellent player for us over a number of years and very loyal but he’s no Lewis Stevenson…

expresso
16-11-2021, 05:48 PM
Top bloke and a Hibs legend for 2016 but we need better if we are to progress as Paul’s mistakes are too common now.

Brightside
16-11-2021, 05:51 PM
Fantastic news. Remains our best defender and you won’t find a better leader to help bring on his future replacements.

MWHIBBIES
16-11-2021, 05:55 PM

Why is renewing our best centre back a strange move?

HTD1875
16-11-2021, 05:57 PM
Why is renewing our best centre back a strange move?

Sorry I must have missed Porteous getting a new deal, that is good news.

MWHIBBIES
16-11-2021, 06:05 PM
Sorry I must have missed Porteous getting a new deal, that is good news.

You missed nothing. Hanlon stays

Jim44
16-11-2021, 06:05 PM

Every club has it’s negative numpties. Most of our’s tend to gravitate towards Twitter and Facebook.

madhatter
16-11-2021, 06:10 PM
Every club has it’s negative numpties. Most of our’s tend to gravitate towards Twitter and Facebook.

What do the positive people gravitate to? What do we call them? Positive plonkers?

cabbageandribs1875
16-11-2021, 06:14 PM
pleasing

SlickShoes
16-11-2021, 06:49 PM
The posts people are making on social media about this are embarrassing.

Jones28
16-11-2021, 07:09 PM

Twitter is a ****ing cesspit.

Ronniekirk
16-11-2021, 07:23 PM
Happy for Paul And brings stability Porto and Doidge next
Assume Nisbet isn’t going to sign one or would of been done by now surely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-C
16-11-2021, 07:26 PM
Happy with this extension, he's been a great servant to the club and there's very few players like that in football nowadays, hopefully with a couple of new additions to the back line, it'll push Paul in his final years and then maybe onto a coaching role with us.

J-C
16-11-2021, 07:28 PM

And one of the reasons I came off it, after the disgusting things said about the young England lads at the Euros, that was enough for me.

CMurdoch
16-11-2021, 07:56 PM
Top bloke and a Hibs legend for 2016 but we need better if we are to progress as Paul’s mistakes are too common now.

Okay, i'll bite.
I think you are wrong and I don't think you will be able to identify these common mistakes you talk of.
Over to you to identify the games and mistakes.

heretoday
16-11-2021, 08:05 PM

Agree. We need strong centre backs.

loanheadhibby
16-11-2021, 08:10 PM
Loan spell at St Johnstone.

Wonderful servant, excellent player for us over a number of years and very loyal but he’s no Lewis Stevenson…
Not sure what you mean?
Paul is a steady club man as is Lewis.
They are both still at ER for a reason.

Smartie
16-11-2021, 08:15 PM
Not sure what you mean?
Paul is a steady club man as is Lewis.
They are both still at ER for a reason.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of them both.

Lewis though is a one club man.

Paul had a brief loan spell at St Johnstone early in his career, so having worn the colours of another club in a competitive match technically he isn't a "one club man".

Libby Hibby
16-11-2021, 08:18 PM
Great news….we do need competition in that particular position but I’m pleased he has extended his contract

jacomo
16-11-2021, 08:27 PM
Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of them both.

Lewis though is a one club man.

Paul had a brief loan spell at St Johnstone early in his career, so having worn the colours of another club in a competitive match technically he isn't a "one club man".

I don’t like this technicality.

He’s been contracted to Hibs throughout his career and was only loaned elsewhere to get experience to help him develop as a player.

He’s a one club man if you ask me.

CMurdoch
16-11-2021, 08:29 PM
Agree. We need strong centre backs.

We potentially need 3 centre half replacements in the summer:
McGregor, at 36 is well over the hill and as a player.
Porteous has 18 months on his contract so will be moved on in the summer if he doesn't sign an extention before the end of this season.
We also need a young guy to be 4th centre half unless McGinn is given a new contract and covers the position if required.
Fortunately Hanlon is now signed up until 2024.

Shrekko
16-11-2021, 08:56 PM
Hibs Twitter and Facebook feeds are the most depressing places I’ve ever been. Utterly shameful - and half the trolls who’s regularly appear to spew their hatred of all things connected to the club have profile and background pics that give the impression they are Hibs daft.

I know Paul Hanson’s wife is on Twitter and she’s most likely, like Paul a decent human being - how her and the rest of his family must feel reading some of the comments we can only imagine.

Smartie
16-11-2021, 09:27 PM
I also avoid certain social media outlets due to what they've become but I just find it baffling that anyone would choose to comment in that way on social media about this guy.

Paul Hanlon is the type of character we spend most of our time crying out for when we don't have one - a bloody good player, loyal, a fan of the club, someone we can all relate to. His good moments outweigh the poor ones so many times over it's just frightening.

He's not had a great past month and a bit. None of our players have.

He'll be back.

JimBHibees
16-11-2021, 09:35 PM
Great news fantastic servant.

Stevie Reid
16-11-2021, 09:35 PM
Very pleased with this news. Would love him to finish his career with us.

Legend.

expresso
16-11-2021, 10:23 PM
Okay, i'll bite.
I think you are wrong and I don't think you will be able to identify these common mistakes you talk of.
Over to you to identify the games and mistakes.

Mate there’s a mistake in him every game on account of his positioning and weakness physically.
He’s a top bloke but we need better.
Celtic & Aberdeen recently.

Cat Stanton
16-11-2021, 10:33 PM

"The vomitorium", as Germaine Greer put it.

jacomo
16-11-2021, 10:54 PM
I also avoid certain social media outlets due to what they've become but I just find it baffling that anyone would choose to comment in that way on social media about this guy.

Paul Hanlon is the type of character we spend most of our time crying out for when we don't have one - a bloody good player, loyal, a fan of the club, someone we can all relate to. His good moments outweigh the poor ones so many times over it's just frightening.

He's not had a great past month and a bit. None of our players have.

He'll be back.

Well exactly.

Hurling abuse at Paul online says a lot more about the inadequacies of the abuser than it does Paul Hanlon.

CMurdoch
16-11-2021, 11:02 PM
Mate there’s a mistake in him every game on account of his positioning and weakness physically.

Okay, lets take the Celtic game you refer to where we concede 3 goals.
At the 1st Porteous is badly at fault. He leaves Ralston unmarked and gets under the cross in the process leaving unmarked Ralston to score from where Porteous had been standing, there was no reason for Porteous to leave his original position, ball watching and bad decision making.
At the 2nd Porteous could perhaps have been tighter to the goal scorer and Macey could have kept it out.
At the 3rd Nisbet loses the ball and then allows Rogic to drive past him untackled to set up the assist.
Additionally Gogic is indirectly at fault for the 1st two goals because he gives free kicks away just outside the box through a combination of poor game management and clumsiness.

Despite all of the above you think Hanlon was somehow at fault!

Too many supporters automatically and lazily kick out at the usual scapegoats like Hanlon when things go wrong.
I don't know if they are bad, blind or simply don't understand the game.

expresso
16-11-2021, 11:11 PM
Okay, lets take the Celtic game you refer to where we concede 3 goals.
At the 1st Porteous is badly at fault. He leaves Ralston unmarked and gets under the cross in the process leaving unmarked Ralston to score, there was no reason for Porteous to leave his original position, bad decision making.
At the 2nd Porteous could perhaps have been tighter to the goal scorer and Macey could have kept it out.
At the 3rd Nisbet loses the ball and then allows Rogic to drive past him untackled to set up the assist.
Additionally Gogic is indirectly at fault for the 1st two goals because he gives free kicks away just outside the box through a combination of poor game management and clumsiness.
Despite all of the above you think Hanlon was somehow at fault!

Aberdeen?

Smartie
16-11-2021, 11:17 PM

I’m not sure there’ll be many footballers who make less than one mistake a game.

He’s arguably in as ropey a run of form as he’s ever had, yet he’s hardly chucking them in.

Porteous is one of the most highly rated centre halves in the country yet I’d estimate he makes 3 or 4 mistakes to every 1 Hanlon makes.

Hanlon’s a bit less blood and thunder and a bit more brain than most other CHs. Some folk are just never going to like that.

The Harp Awakes
16-11-2021, 11:19 PM
Great news fantastic servant.

Correct. A talented defender and loyal servant to Hibernian. Delighted with the news.

Since90+2
17-11-2021, 05:47 AM
Good news. He gives us stability and I think you need players like him who understand the club.

I do think his form can be erratic and he's not likely to get any better than he is but overall he's still a decent enough SPL level half.

Also, he's a club legend after 2016 but he's not a one man club. If you've played for another club like he has then you don't fall into that bracket. Not that it's massively important.

Brightside
17-11-2021, 06:48 AM

Weakness physically. That one is years out of date and isn’t the case anymore. Poor positioning is a new one. And equally utter nonsense.

Glass half full
17-11-2021, 06:58 AM
Resigned one of the best CBs in our league.
Can play in a 2 or 3. Composed on the ball too.
Any team in our league would be delighted to have him in their team / squad.
And coming into his peak years too!

I think at times, he is mostly appreciated when he's not in the team. Then folk realise what an important player he is for us.

Callum_62
17-11-2021, 07:02 AM
Good move by Hibs

We definately need more depth at centre half but Paul has proven time and time again he's an above average spl centre half

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

scoopyboy
17-11-2021, 07:09 AM
Paul Hanlon signing a two year extension doesn't affect the fact that at least one central defender will be signed in January.

We need better players all over the pitch if we are going to improve but its still handy to have experienced back up.

If Paul stays first choice when the new signing(s) come in then so be it but he needs a meaningful challenge for his place and by the end of his contract in 2024 it may well be he is back up, again I'm fine with that.

Since90+2
17-11-2021, 07:14 AM
Paul Hanlon signing a two year extension doesn't affect the fact that at least one central defender will be signed in January.

We need better players all over the pitch if we are going to improve but its still handy to have experienced back up.

If Paul stays first choice when the new signing(s) come in then so be it but he needs a meaningful challenge for his place and by the end of his contract in 2024 it may well be he is back up, again I'm fine with that.

I think he'll probably move into a similar role that Lewis has at the moment (know what you're getting, rarely injured and a good character) towards the end of the contract.

If we want to consistently finish 3rd and win cups then we will likely need to improve in most positions and left centre back will be no different.

I think he'll be good to have around the club in the coming years without necessarily be seen as a first team pick.

green day
17-11-2021, 07:24 AM
Paul is a solid performer week in week out. While he has his moments, show me a CH that doesent?

Its also worth saying that - as we are aware our recruitment process in the summer wasnt up to scratch and we didnt get any cover - allowing a CH as good as Hanlon to sign a pre contract with another club in 6 weeks time would have been utterly ridiculous.

This buys us some time over the next two windows when I expect us to sign younger players to go alongside and provide competition for Hanlon and Porteous.

Frankly those suggesting this is a "backwards step" on twitter and here havent spent more than 30 seconds thinking this through.

Brightside
17-11-2021, 07:38 AM

Totally agree with this, and I’m sure he does too.

Bostonhibby
17-11-2021, 07:53 AM
Great move by the club, very good centre half we defend better when he's on the pitch and an example to others how to behave off it.

Twitter needs to exist so we know where all the poisonous nutters are when it comes to throwing a net over them[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Heckys Wheel
17-11-2021, 08:02 AM
In approximately the 60 years prior to 2016 if you’d told any Hibs fan that we’d win the Scottish Cup and every player involved would become a club legend, I doubt anybody would disagree.

So it blows my mind to read people putting Paul Hanlon down. Same as it did the abuse Daz took after one mistake in the Europa Cup. Same with Dylan being booed up in Aberdeen and possibly the worst of the lot, the paedo chants to Jason up in Dundee.

Give Paul whatever contract he wants. Keep him at Easter Road with Lewy, Daz, SDG and anybody else from that team who wants to stay for as long as they want. In time he will be replaced but he’s earned a living from the club for as long as he wants it IMO.

oneone73
17-11-2021, 08:04 AM
In approximately the 60 years prior to 2016 if you’d told any Hibs fan that we’d win the Scottish Cup and every player involved would become a club legend, I doubt anybody would disagree.

So it blows my mind to read people putting Paul Hanlon down. Same as it did the abuse Daz took after one mistake in the Europa Cup. Same with Dylan being booed up in Aberdeen and possibly the worst of the lot, the paedo chants to Jason up in Dundee.

Give Paul whatever contract he wants. Keep him at Easter Road with Lewy, Daz, SDG and anybody else from that team who wants to stay for as long as they want. In time he will be replaced but he’s earned a living from the club for as long as he wants it IMO.

Yet another compelling argument for a .net Like button.

WeeRussell
17-11-2021, 08:42 AM
Aberdeen?

So are you admitting that half of your recent examples have been successfully rubbished?

GRA
17-11-2021, 08:55 AM
Good move from Hibs. Still got a couple of decent years at the top level left. Knows the club inside out and been a mainstay at the heart of our defence for well over a decade now.

The slew of criticism I've been reading on social media is nothing short of a disgrace. People really need to do their research and look at our defensive stats with and without him in defence.

Sadly indicative of the toxic negativity that seems to have taken over a portion of our fan base recently :confused:

rodhibs55
17-11-2021, 09:36 AM
Resigned one of the best CBs in our league.
Can play in a 2 or 3. Composed on the ball too.
Any team in our league would be delighted to have him in their team / squad.
And coming into his peak years too!

I think at times, he is mostly appreciated when he's not in the team. Then folk realise what an important player he is for us.

Spot on.

expresso
17-11-2021, 09:44 AM
So are you admitting that half of your recent examples have been successfully rubbished?

That makes you half right too then?

JimBHibees
17-11-2021, 10:34 AM
Hibs Twitter and Facebook feeds are the most depressing places I’ve ever been. Utterly shameful - and half the trolls who’s regularly appear to spew their hatred of all things connected to the club have profile and background pics that give the impression they are Hibs daft.

I know Paul Hanson’s wife is on Twitter and she’s most likely, like Paul a decent human being - how her and the rest of his family must feel reading some of the comments we can only imagine.

Do you think they are genuine Hibs fans or just stirrers? Seems extremely odd behaviour if actually support Hibs. Need some counselling if that is the case.

IWasThere2016
17-11-2021, 12:01 PM

:top marks

WeeRussell
17-11-2021, 12:40 PM
That makes you half right too then?

Doesn’t make me anything, it wasn’t me that corrected you 👍

I was just interested as you seem awfy keen to criticise Hanlon despite accepting you’re struggling to give examples of his errors.

expresso
17-11-2021, 12:47 PM
Doesn’t make me anything, it wasn’t me that corrected you 👍

I was just interested as you seem awfy keen to criticise Hanlon despite accepting you’re struggling to give examples of his errors.

Ok you win he’s a smashing defender with loads of other clubs trying to sign him.

WeeRussell
17-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Ok you win he’s a smashing defender with loads of other clubs trying to sign him.

None of our players have loads of clubs trying to sign them. Should we bin the lot of them cos they’re all crap too?

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2021, 01:03 PM

He is a smashing defender, and hopefully he will be part of the team/squad for a few years yet.

Dashing Bob S
17-11-2021, 01:07 PM
The club are being unfair to a great servant. He’s already had his reputation tarnished by being over utilized. Shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team. Paul could never be an embarrassment but this contract extension is. We should have been rebuilding in this position two seasons ago.

J-C
17-11-2021, 01:09 PM
The club are being unfair to a great servant. He’s already had his reputation tarnished by being over utilized. Shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team. Paul could never be an embarrassment but this contract extension is. We should have been rebuilding in this position two seasons ago.

Trying to work out if this a serious post or very much tongue in cheek.

Since452
17-11-2021, 01:13 PM
I wish Hibs wouldn't Tweet anything about our manager or our club captain. Sad but true. Replies are utter cringeworthy.

expresso
17-11-2021, 02:06 PM
None of our players have loads of clubs trying to sign them. Should we bin the lot of them cos they’re all crap too?

Mate you win he’s outstanding.
Although indulge me to remind you the next time he costs us a goal.
I don’t think you’ll have long to wait.

sleeping giant
17-11-2021, 02:33 PM
Whaes like us eh ?
FFS.

Since90+2
17-11-2021, 03:03 PM

Why does he have to be outstanding or rubbish? Like the majority of players at Hibs he's somewhere in the middle. Not great but not crap.

It doesn't always have to be an extreme.

WeeRussell
17-11-2021, 04:05 PM
Why does he have to be outstanding or rubbish? Like the majority of players at Hibs he's somewhere in the middle. Not great but not crap.

It doesn't always have to be an extreme.

Correct - and for the record I’ve never once said Paul Hanlon is outstanding 😂

WeeRussell
17-11-2021, 04:07 PM

If it genuinely gives you pleasure to notify people when hibs lose a goal then by all means. Even use the PM function if you’ll enjoy that even more 👍

CMurdoch
18-11-2021, 10:25 AM
Aberdeen?

Good goal on the counter attack.
Cadden receives the ball from Doyle-Hayes in space in the middle of the pitch.
Runs into trouble and makes a bad pass which is intercepted by Brown.
Ojo blocks Cadden which allows Brown to break forward and play the ball in behind the Hibs defence on the right wing.
The Hibs defence turn and run at full pace to get goalside and into their defensive positions.
Ramsay and Watkins are slightly ahead of the Hibs defenders on the right and left respectively and Ramirez a little behind in the centre.
Meanwhile Joe Newell who was next to Ramirez after the turnover is jogging back making no attempt to get back with him.
As they enter the box Watkins cuts inside McGinn and towards the penalty spot waiting for the cross from Ramsay. Meanwhile Ramirez slows down before making a near post run where Ramsay cuts the ball back to him to volley home first time before Hanlon and a still jogging Newell can get to him.

Factors in the goal,
Cadden responsible for the counter attack when his poor pass is intercepted by Brown
Ojo blocking Cadden to allow Brown to break with the ball and release the pass.
Hibs defenders running back towards their goal at full pelt to get goalside but can't see the attackers who are behind them and are reliant on the midfielders picking those players up. All do this other than Newell who lets Ramirez run off him and makes no attempt to chase him down. As a result Ramirez finds space by slowing down as he approaches the box leaving him in a position between Hanlon and Newell to score first time from the cutback.

Another goal not down to Hanlon as the main cause. Cadden and Newell are the main culprits in this one before Hanlon.
Not sensing danger is a weakness in Newell's game.
Overall a good goal from a fast counterattack and clever play from Ramirez.

That's both your Hanlon at fault goal examples badly burn't.
You are not the first person on here to give Hanlon at fault examples which have been found on examination to be simplistic or just plain wrong.
Supporters just lazily reach for the usual scapegoats when Hibs concede a goal rather than having a good look at the action when they get home.
For example, Newell's part in this goal is not obvious and can only be seen in playback.

We could be needing 3 new centre halves by summer so be pleased we at least have one good one in place for the next 30 months.
31 years old, good on the ball, consistent, almost ever present, no recurring injury issues, good decision maker hence only sent off once (more than 10 years ago), club captain. £500k and bigger wages to replace this guy with a player of similar ability.

superfurryhibby
18-11-2021, 11:15 AM
Ojo blocks Cadden which allows Brown to break forward and play the ball in behind the Hibs defence on the right wing.
The Hibs defence turn and run at full pace to get goalside and into their defensive positions.
Ramsay and Watkins are slightly ahead of the Hibs defenders on the right and left respectively and Ramirez a little behind in the centre.
Meanwhile Joe Newell who was next to Ramirez after the turnover is jogging back making no attempt to get back with him.
As they enter the box Watkins cuts inside McGinn and towards the penalty spot waiting for the cross from Ramsay. Meanwhile Ramirez slows down before making a near post run where Ramsay cuts the ball back to him to volley home first time before Hanlon and a still jogging Newell can get to him.

Factors in the goal,
Cadden responsible for the counter attack when his poor pass is intercepted by Brown
Hibs defenders running back towards their goal at full pelt to get goalside but can't see the attackers who are behind them and are reliant on the midfielders picking those players up. All do this other than Newell who lets Ramirez run off him and makes no attempt to chase him down. As a result Ramirez finds space by slowing down as he approaches the box leaving him in a position between Hanlon and Newell to score first time with the cutback.
Another goal not down to Hanlon as the main cause. Cadden and Newell are the main culprits in this one before Hanlon. Not sensing danger is a weakness in Newell's game.

You are not the first person on here to give Hanlon at fault examples which I have found to be simplistic or just plain wrong.
Supporters just lazily reach for the usual scapegoats when Hibs concede a goal rather than having a good look at them when they get home.
Newell's part in this goal is not obvious and can only be seen in playback.

We could be needing 3 new centre halves by summer so be pleased we at least have one good one in place for the next 30 months.
31 years old, good on the ball, consistent, almost ever present, no recurring injury issues, good decision maker hence only sent off once (more than 10 years ago), club captain. £500k and bigger wages to replace this guy with a player of similar ability.

I agree, Newell didn't cover himself in glory. However, just having watched it, Hanlon was poor. He knew where Ramirez was and should have been tighter on him when the ball was crossed. Instead he ran into space and effectively gave the guy a free hit at it.

That said, he's still a good SPFL defender and well worth an extended contract. Hopefully, we sign other players who can come in and compete with him for that place in the side.

B.H.F.C
18-11-2021, 11:36 AM

Factors in the goal,
Hibs defenders running back towards their goal at full pelt to get goalside but can't see the attackers who are behind them and are reliant on the midfielders picking those players up. All do this other than Newell who lets Ramirez run off him and makes no attempt to chase him down. As a result Ramirez finds space by slowing down as he approaches the box leaving him in a position between Hanlon and Newell to score first time from the cutback.

Another goal not down to Hanlon as the main cause. Cadden and Newell are the main culprits in this one before Hanlon.

You are not the first person on here to give Hanlon at fault examples which have been found on examination to be simplistic or just plain wrong.
Supporters just lazily reach for the usual scapegoats when Hibs concede a goal rather than having a good look at the action when they get home.
For example, Newell's part in this goal is not obvious and can only be seen in playback.

There are generally multiple things that can be done better in the lead up to a goal. I don’t think you can use all them to deflect away from someone else when it suits you though. The goal at Aberdeen, Hanlon makes a really clear error. Runs in to an empty space instead of going towards the striker. Was a bad decision as he actually looked over his shoulder and knows he’s there. Couple of weeks before he totally lost Morellos for the winner at Ibrox as well.

He was easily our best centre half last season but he’s not been playing well this season. There is a collective issue with us defensively, he’s the main man in there and I think we need to see more from him.

JimBHibees
18-11-2021, 11:50 AM
There are generally multiple things that can be done better in the lead up to a goal. I don’t think you can use all them to deflect away from someone else when it suits you though. The goal at Aberdeen, Hanlon makes a really clear error. Runs in to an empty space instead of going towards the striker. Was a bad decision as he actually looked over his shoulder and knows he’s there. Couple of weeks before he totally lost Morellos for the winner at Ibrox as well.

He was easily our best centre half last season but he’s not been playing well this season. There is a collective issue with us defensively, he’s the main man in there and I think we need to see more from him.

I think many central defenders would be told to cover the front space in that scenario to stop the ball going across the goal. If ball cut back expectation would be defender can adjust his position and close down striker or he is picked up by midfielder. Beaten by a decent cross and first time finish.

CMurdoch
18-11-2021, 11:52 AM
I agree, Newell didn't cover himself in glory. However, just having watched it, Hanlon was poor. He knew where Ramirez was and should have been tighter on him when the ball was crossed. Instead he ran into space and effectively gave the guy a free hit at it.

That said, he's still a good SPFL defender and well worth an extended contract. Hopefully, we sign other players who can come in and compete with him for that place in the side.

I don't think he knew Ramirez had dropped off until it was too late.
Him and the other Hibs defenders are running full pelt to get goalside after the ball in behind so can't see any Aberdeen players including Ramirez running behind them.
Meanwhile Newell has a perfect view of Ramirez and the developing situation but fails to make any attempt to chase him down.
The defenders including Hanlon get goalside of the ball as they enter the box and Hanlon takes stock and looks for danger but it's too late and a fraction of a second later the ball is in the net.
Fast counter attacks need all hands to the pump to stop it and Newell was the non switched on guy in this one. He can see what's happening Hanlon can't.
So little time and so few touches between the turnover by Brown to the ball lying in the net.

Crammond Hibee
18-11-2021, 12:01 PM
Excellent news.
Paul Hanlon is one of the best players we've had in my time watching our team.

GGTTH

And will continue to be so

expresso
18-11-2021, 12:02 PM

Factors in the goal,

https://youtu.be/fhuYFffD_Lw

1:13 in Hanlon marking nobody and stranded flat footed in no man’s land.
I can only assume you must be friends with or related to Paul if you can’t acknowledge his culpability for this goal.

WeeRussell
18-11-2021, 01:33 PM
https://youtu.be/fhuYFffD_Lw

1:13 in Hanlon marking nobody and stranded flat footed in no man’s land.
I can only assume you must be friends with or related to Paul if you can’t acknowledge his culpability for this goal.

And I can only assume Paul has slept with your partner if you think one goal against Aberdeen means he isn't deserving of a contract extension.

hibsbollah
18-11-2021, 01:43 PM
I think many central defenders would be told to cover the front space in that scenario to stop the ball going across the goal. If ball cut back expectation would be defender can adjust his position and close down striker or he is picked up by midfielder. Beaten by a decent cross and first time finish.

There's not much discussion as to whether Hibs even use zone defending or a combination of zone and man marking on this kind of transition goal. They certainly DO use zonal marking on corners and set pieces. Does anyone on here know?? (genuine question, i have no horse in the race in the Hanlon debate, dont feel strongly either way)..