PDA

View Full Version : Pat McGinlay

Pretty Boy
16-11-2021, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure how many people follow 'the Hibs are here' on Twitter but if you don't it's well worth it. Loads of footage of Hibs in the 1990s.

One thing that strikes me is just how many goals Pat McGinlay scored arriving late into the box. He was a favourite of mine growing up but I was only young at the time.

Just how good was he? Have we had anyone close in terms of goals from midfield since. I can't think of many of the top of my head.

bringbackbenny
16-11-2021, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure how many people follow 'the Hibs are here' on Twitter but if you don't it's well worth it. Loads of footage of Hibs in the 1990s.

One thing that strikes me is just how many goals Pat McGinlay scored arriving late into the box. He was a favourite of mine growing up but I was only young at the time.

Just how good was he? Have we had anyone close in terms of goals from midfield since. I can't think of many of the top of my head.

He was brilliant, arrived from Blackpool and quickly through to the first team.

Mainly attacking midfielder with, as you say, great timing for arriving late in the box. A good header of the ball as well.

I vaguely remember him playing 1 game at sweeper vs Rangers at Easter rd had a fantastic game and scored an equaliser (could be wrong with this... Think Rangers then went to score another couple soon after 😟 )

Mon Dieu4
16-11-2021, 03:55 PM

Pat is the best goalscoring box to box midfielder I've seen play for Hibs, no one has really matched it since, at the start of the season I mentioned to my pals that Magennis was reminding me of him, then he got injured again

BILLYHIBS
16-11-2021, 04:08 PM
Pat Goals McGinlay was the ultimate box to box midfielder arriving late in the box to finish off moves

Many’s the time after goal celebrations he would give the thumbs up to his wife Margaret in the Centre Stand

Pretty sure we bought him back from Celtic for more than we sold him for even although he was their top scorer and Player of the Year

Might be wrong

Edit

Sold for 525k bought back for 420k

Big money for HIBS

CraigHibee
16-11-2021, 04:31 PM
great player for us, was gutted when he left to go to celtic but delighted when he came back

hibee
16-11-2021, 04:38 PM
He played just when the betting booths opened in the stadium or when I was old enough to gamble can’t quite remember which but was always 16/1 first goalscorer and it took them a long time to catch on and reduce his odds!

Skol
16-11-2021, 04:44 PM
Pat used to be a good price for first goal scorer and often obliged.

CyberSauzee
16-11-2021, 04:50 PM
great player for us, was gutted when he left to go to celtic but delighted when he came back

Same here, a superb player for us, could play in just about any position - and play well.

LeithMike
16-11-2021, 04:52 PM
Thought he was great in his first spell but not at the same level when he returned. I think what happened at Celtic affected him. They were clearly expecting some kind of playmaker in the mould of McStay and despite scoring a lot of goals he didn't fit in.

Few Hibs players that returned were ever as good as the first spell.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Since452
16-11-2021, 04:59 PM
Childhood favourite. Am I right in thinking he got Celtic's POTY before he came back? That or top scorer?

lord bunberry
16-11-2021, 05:13 PM
Pat is the best goalscoring box to box midfielder I've seen play for Hibs, no one has really matched it since, at the start of the season I mentioned to my pals that Magennis was reminding me of him, then he got injured again
Agree with all that. I said similar about Magennis.

HH81
16-11-2021, 05:14 PM
Great twitter page. Guy who runs it has wrote a couple books too.

Sure he did recent book signing in club shop with some of the 1991 team.

s.a.m
16-11-2021, 05:14 PM
I saw news of his return on an Evening Times billboard at a news-stand in Glasgow. Pre-internet days, pre-mobile phone. Had to phone home from a phone booth with the news!

OtleyHibs
16-11-2021, 05:53 PM
Childhood favourite. Am I right in thinking he got Celtic's POTY before he came back? That or top scorer?

I think he was their top scorer, I couldn't believe it when we got him back. I think they might have changed managers or something
Still one of my all time favourite players

StirlingHibee
16-11-2021, 06:13 PM
Arrived without much fanfare (from Blackpool I think) but quickly became a fan's favourite with a very good return of goals for a midfielder. I was working near Manchester back in August 1993 and I went along to a Man Utd v Celtic friendly where Pat played (it may even have been his Celtic debut). A very young Roy Keane also played one of his first games for Man Utd that evening. Pat was a real favourite for my generation of fans.

HibbyAndy
16-11-2021, 07:17 PM
Pat Mcginlay was an unbelievable player for hibs , His goal scoring record speaks for itself

A very VERY underrated player IMO..Had the whole shebang in his locker , Absolute powerhouse of a midfielder and box to box doesn't do him justice

Seems to have slipped of the radar , Hope all is well Pat

Hibiza
16-11-2021, 07:23 PM
Great player.

Scorrie
16-11-2021, 07:36 PM
Seems strange to see that we were paying half million pound transfer fees almost 30 years ago. Keith Wright has about half a million as well. Not sure we pay anywhere near that much now…even with inflation!

hibby rae
16-11-2021, 07:43 PM
Pat Goals McGinlay was the ultimate box to box midfielder arriving late in the box to finish off moves

Many’s the time after goal celebrations he would give the thumbs up to his wife Margaret in the Centre Stand

Pretty sure we bought him back from Celtic for more than we sold him for even although he was their top scorer and Player of the Year

Might be wrong

Edit

Sold for 525k bought back for 420k

Big money for HIBS

He walked into the Celtic boardroom and Alex Miller was sitting there. He asked "what are you doing here Alex?"

Alex Miller replied "I'm here to take you home."

JeMeSouviens
16-11-2021, 07:44 PM
Seems strange to see that we were paying half million pound transfer fees almost 30 years ago. Keith Wright has about half a million as well. Not sure we pay anywhere near that much now…even with inflation!

Pre-Bosman, there was no freedom of contract so player’s values didn’t go down as much.

Scorrie
16-11-2021, 07:48 PM
Pre-Bosman, there was no freedom of contract so player’s values didn’t go down as much.

Seems like a different world!

.Sean.
16-11-2021, 07:49 PM
Pat Mcginlay was an unbelievable player for hibs , His goal scoring record speaks for itself

A very VERY underrated player IMO..Had the whole shebang in his locker , Absolute powerhouse of a midfielder and box to box doesn't do him justice

He wasn’t at the Skol Cup reunion the other week which was a bit of a shame

JeMeSouviens
16-11-2021, 07:49 PM
tbh, I think this thread is overrating Pat a wee bit. He did have the knack of arriving in the box and was a good finisher though.

Definitely better in his first spell.

BILLYHIBS
16-11-2021, 07:51 PM
He walked into the Celtic boardroom and Alex Miller was sitting there. He asked "what are you doing here Alex?"

Alex Miller replied "I'm here to take you home."

I know it’s a HIBS Fans’ Forum but this collection of his Celtic goals let’s younger posters see how good Pat truly was

https://youtu.be/XrxhMfbQ1W8

darwenhibby
16-11-2021, 07:56 PM
Always felt we missed him in that midfield of Crunchie Farrell Hamilton & O’Neill
Jackson and Wright upfront
We should have finished higher than 5th with a weak Celtic
Pat McGinlay could have been that player but didn’t seem the same when he came back

JeMeSouviens
16-11-2021, 07:57 PM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/pat-mcginlay-managers-feared-my-lovely-wife-and-so-did-i-when-she-shouted-at-me-from-the-stand-3212586

Shrekko
16-11-2021, 07:59 PM
tbh, I think this thread is overrating Pat a wee bit. He did have the knack of arriving in the box and was a good finisher though.

Definitely better in his first spell.

Pat was under-rated by many Hibs fans when he was playing - another player who took a lot of stick for no real reason. I’m guessing that a player like him would be even more valuable in the modern game.

He had a great engine, was pacy, scored goals, could tackle and was powerful. Can’t think what was not to like about all that.

heretoday
16-11-2021, 08:02 PM
Very good player for Hibs. Strong and intelligent.

HibbyAndy
16-11-2021, 08:03 PM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/pat-mcginlay-managers-feared-my-lovely-wife-and-so-did-i-when-she-shouted-at-me-from-the-stand-3212586

Brilliant read cheers for that :aok:

JeMeSouviens
16-11-2021, 08:07 PM
Pat was under-rated by many Hibs fans when he was playing - another player who took a lot of stick for no real reason. I’m guessing that a player like him would be even more valuable in the modern game.

He had a great engine, was pacy, scored goals, could tackle and was powerful. Can’t think what was not to like about all that.

Not as much as Brian Hamilton! :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
16-11-2021, 08:14 PM

:top marks

Allant1981
16-11-2021, 08:17 PM
Always felt we missed him in that midfield of Crunchie Farrell Hamilton & O’Neill
Jackson and Wright upfront
We should have finished higher than 5th with a weak Celtic
Pat McGinlay could have been that player but didn’t seem the same when he came back

Sorry but mcginlay was a cracking player for us when he came back from celtic

Shrekko
16-11-2021, 09:03 PM
Not as much as Brian Hamilton! :greengrin

In hindsight, in light of where he went next it was fully deserved 😂

Baader
16-11-2021, 09:46 PM
One of my favourite ever Hibs players. Brilliant for us in both spells and I disagree he came back from Celtic any worse. Think his goals ratio was better in his second spell.

Always felt like Pat was actually underrated by some of the Hibs support over his long service with us. Tremendous signing and possibly the best goal scoring midfielder I've seen in a Hibs shirt.

ozhibs
17-11-2021, 01:44 AM

I don’t know about Celtic,s POTY , but I presented him with the Australian Hibs supporters POTY and Strachan said just in the door and getting awards already

GGTTH

SkintHibby
17-11-2021, 04:15 PM

A few years ago Pat (with Frank McGarveys son) was coaching my 2 young sons at Cambuslang and I used to go along to their matches. Really nice guy - spoke to him a few times and he was looking well. He said he loved his time at Hibs.

HibbyAndy
17-11-2021, 06:50 PM
A few years ago Pat (with Frank McGarveys son) was coaching my 2 young sons at Cambuslang and I used to go along to their matches. Really nice guy - spoke to him a few times and he was looking well. He said he loved his time at Hibs.

Good stuff mate :aok:

I remember being at Ibrox circa 91 (think we lost 4-3) Pat scored and kissed the badge , He loved the club , and we loved him .

WhileTheChief..
17-11-2021, 07:21 PM
He was class.

Always gave 100%, don’t ever remember hearing bad things about him. Fans favourite.

judas
17-11-2021, 07:35 PM
When Hibs brought Pat back from Celtic I could barely contain myself. I have never been so excited about a signing since.

I don’t think he was quite as good in his second spell at Hibs but he was still a top player.

Agree with the OP about his timed runs into the box.

KWJ
17-11-2021, 08:20 PM
Saw a lot more of Pat in his 2nd spell than his first and I thought he was great. He was surprisingly a key target for the boo boys though.