PDA

View Full Version : 5-1 comfort blanket

green leaves
14-11-2021, 05:46 PM
Apologies as normally I'd just Google it but cannot find an image of the Hearts 5-1 comfort blanket.
I turn 51 next week and need the image as a retort to the gunts hilarious banter on birthday posts.
TIA

Since452
14-11-2021, 05:50 PM
Best just screenshot a list of all the businesses and charities they shafted including Lady Haig's poppy factory. They don't like that very much.

Carheenlea
14-11-2021, 05:57 PM
This?

https://i.postimg.cc/W3595qBd/D0-F93-CE3-3-C93-44-B6-A8-EA-5-AA393-DC2100.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I’ve long forgotten about 5-1 and was over it by pretty much the next day. Derby defeats are never fun, be that by a one goal loss or a thumping with goals to spare.

Hearts fans will quite rightly revel in a cup final victory over Hibs, but I genuinely don’t think many Hibs fans really give too much of a **** about it now. Certainly post 2016.

Hibernia&Alba
14-11-2021, 06:34 PM
This?

https://i.postimg.cc/W3595qBd/D0-F93-CE3-3-C93-44-B6-A8-EA-5-AA393-DC2100.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I’ve long forgotten about 5-1 and was over it by pretty much the next day. Derby defeats are never fun, be that by a one goal loss or a thumping with goals to spare.

Hearts fans will quite rightly revel in a cup final victory over Hibs, but I genuinely don’t think many Hibs fans really give too much of a **** about it now. Certainly post 2016.

Still hurts me. I'm yet to read the match programme to this day. It's in my programme folder untouched. That's fitba and these things happen.

green leaves
14-11-2021, 07:34 PM
This?

It means hee haw to me but it's their everything.
Mocking it genuinely hurts the puddle drinkers

marinello59
14-11-2021, 08:10 PM
I was over that game the next day. One of those days.
I reckon they genuinely find 2016 more painful than any Hibs fan feels 5-1, we wiped their songbook out. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
14-11-2021, 08:19 PM
I expected us to lose that day so I was prepared for the disappointment and I'm not sure if it even lasted till we got back to Edinburgh.

A jambo I know tried to stick it to me soon after and when I told him that I wasn't bothered in the slightest, he became angry, insisting that it really did bother me.

I just smiled and said not we've got 7 and 6 and you've got 5 plus we also won a cup 5-1.

Not a happy jambo.

WeeRussell
14-11-2021, 08:20 PM
Obviously an extremely sore one at the time but I can’t believe any hibs fan is genuinely still bothered by it! If anything it added to 2016.

It’s actually funny if you see a jambo doing 5-1 gestures at us now. Was the last time they had anything to shout about really and it’s almost ten years ago!

heretoday
14-11-2021, 08:21 PM
We had to suck that one up.
That's life.

Jones28
14-11-2021, 08:23 PM
Still hurts me. I'm yet to read the match programme to this day. It's in my programme folder untouched. That's fitba and these things happen.

I watched the goals back and realised just how spawny they were that day. It made me realise that no matter what they were destined to win that day.

I found it quite cathartic.

It’s even done in the worst ever Hibs kit.

Pretty Boy
14-11-2021, 08:32 PM
It was a sore one at the time but it was almost a decade ago. Hearts have won **** all since then, we have. They claimed it would end us, decimate our fanbase, confirm we would never win the SC and a hundred other daft things that proved to be utter bollocks.

I wasn't over it immediately. I think the moment I really laughed it off was when I was in Turkey a few weeks later. I got chatting to a Geordie guy and we were blethering about football. When I said I supported Hibs he said 'you must he a happy man then'. He thought we had won the game. They would have you believe that result sent shock waves around the world, it didn't even register in Newcastle.

tanfield
14-11-2021, 08:38 PM
Still never seen the game or read any match report. Spent that particular afternoon meeting my future step daughter for the first time.

Whilst I was gutted at the time I was in a newish relationship and I dont think my future wife would have been to impressed if I went in the huff so had to behave myself! 🤣🤣

The game means absolutely nothing now after 2016. That one game changed everything!

Bostonhibby
14-11-2021, 09:31 PM
Knowing how they'd funded it all and what they had to suck up and live with subsequently means it's not too difficult to move on from what I'll always regard as a tainted win.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

AgentDaleCooper
14-11-2021, 10:32 PM
i was genuinely far more gutted after the 4-0 semi-final in 2006 than i was after the 5-1 final. the former, we went in with such high hopes, and had every reason to do so, though deeks being suspended was a worry. the latter, for me, was more like 'my god, what else was i really expecting?!'. we'd been terrible all year, a team full of absolute duds, with the exception of leigh, though he hadn't hit top form yet. it was almost funny to think that i'd been so hopeful.

i can honestly say that i'm glad we won it exactly the way we did. i wouldn't swap 3-2 against the huns for a 5-1 against the yams. it was absolutely perfect. that said, i'd be happy to hand their ***** to them in a future cup final :aok:

Pagan Hibernia
14-11-2021, 11:02 PM
i was genuinely far more gutted after the 4-0 semi-final in 2006 than i was after the 5-1 final. the former, we went in with such high hopes, and had every reason to do so, though deeks being suspended was a worry. the latter, for me, was more like 'my god, what else was i really expecting?!'. we'd been terrible all year, a team full of absolute duds, with the exception of leigh, though he hadn't hit top form yet. it was almost funny to think that i'd been so hopeful.

i can honestly say that i'm glad we won it exactly the way we did. i wouldn't swap 3-2 against the huns for a 5-1 against the yams. it was absolutely perfect. that said, i'd be happy to hand their ***** to them in a future cup final :aok:

This. Our 05/06 team was scintillating at times and I never expected us to collapse the way we did in the semi final.

Our 2012 vintage was just a bad, bad team. We were never winning that game. The margin of defeat obviously hurt and it was an awful few months afterwards but it became an irrelevance on 21/05/16.

anyway, in terms of great derby victories, a four goal margin against 10 men assisted by a completely incompetent referee is not in the same class as a seven goal massacre in their own back yard. Eternal bragging rights until they match that as far as I’m concerned.

Weegreenman
14-11-2021, 11:03 PM
Hurts like a mutha ****er and anyone who says it doesn’t is lying.

They beat us and unfortunately we have to deal with that. Unfortunately it seems like more than a few on here aren’t that interested in derby defeats or gaining revenge. ( we’re not defined by what they do pish )
For me, it’s the holy grail.
If only our players had the same hunger!

Weegreenman
14-11-2021, 11:06 PM

Nonsense! Beating Rangers was unbelievable however I’d swap it in a heart beat if you said I could have that same result against Hearts!

I just don’t understand some of our supporters, I really don’t l🤔

Pagan Hibernia
14-11-2021, 11:13 PM

They beat us and unfortunately we have to deal with that. Unfortunately it seems like more than a few on here aren’t that interested in derby defeats or gaining revenge. ( we’re not defined by what they do pish )

yes they beat us and at this stage most have us have dealt with it long ago. Jesus man it’s virtually a decade ago.

we don’t get to decide who we play in cup finals. We’ve met hearts twice in cup finals in nearly 150 years and unfortunately shat the bed both times. Next time it happens, if it happens again in our lifetimes, believe me we will all be desperate to win it.

1875godsgift
15-11-2021, 12:09 AM

We were never going to win that game against a financially doped hertz team and a corrupt hertz-loving referee.

It just makes 2016 all the sweeter - we don't have to cheat to win :flag:

Steve20
15-11-2021, 06:38 AM

How would you know that?

It hurt at the time yes and for a while after, but long since got over it. Certainly after 2016 I wasn't hurting about it at all.

Since452
15-11-2021, 06:45 AM

It hurt until they went bust and their cheating came to light. We got our revenge a few months later by knocking them out the cup and then the greatest final of all time in 2016 made 2012 a distant hazy memory.

WeeRussell
15-11-2021, 09:05 AM

Anyone who says they’re not still hurting about a football match that took place almost ten years ago is lying?!😂😂😂

I don’t understand some hibs fans either… especially ones desperate to tell us we should still be hurting about matches that took place a decade ago.

bigwheel
15-11-2021, 09:09 AM

What a lot of Tom kite…Has no lasting impact for me. Great wins resonate much deeper than bad defeats. That’s why the high of 2016 is much more impactful than that defeat. Equally, I can understand why it’s a great memory for Hearts fans, but it means little to me….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keith_M
15-11-2021, 09:11 AM
Sorry but why would they need a comfort blanket?

:confused:

lord bunberry
15-11-2021, 09:12 AM
I love it when the Jambo’s bring out the 5-1 comfort blanket. I told one of them I couldn’t care less about it as I laughed at him, he was adamant that I was bothered, he kept saying say “of course you’re bothered”. It was really funny watching him get more annoyed by that fact that I wasn’t. The simple fact is that you put the defeat’s behind you and you glorify the victories, watching hearts fans giving it the 5-1 as they walk out the stadium after losing a derby only makes them look pathetic. Hibs fans did it for years after the 7-0 game.

Pagan Hibernia
15-11-2021, 09:20 AM
What a lot of Tom kite…Has no lasting impact for me. Great wins resonate much deeper than bad defeats. That’s why the high of 2016 is much more impactful than that defeat. Equally, I can understand why it’s a great memory for Hearts fans, but it means little to me….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

exactly this. For hearts fans it was the zenith, and if we’d beaten them 5-1 in a cup final I’d be basking in a warm glow for many years after. So please jambos (because we all know you’re here reading this), enjoy your win, but don’t delude yourselves that we’re still suffering. If we still hadn’t won the bloody thing and were now staring at 120 years without a SC, maybe we’d still be hurting. But believe me, we found our own piece of paradise in 2016 (after knocking you out on the way) and you’ll never understand how good that still feels.

PatHead
15-11-2021, 09:35 AM
exactly this. For hearts fans it was the zenith, and if we’d beaten them 5-1 in a cup final I’d be basking in a warm glow for many years after. So please jambos (because we all know you’re here reading this), enjoy your win, but don’t delude yourselves that we’re still suffering. If we still hadn’t won the bloody thing and were now staring at 120 years without a SC, maybe we’d still be hurting. But believe me, we found our own piece of paradise in 2016 (after knocking you out on the way) and you’ll never understand how good that still feels.
After them being 2-0 up and having a second opportunity in a money spinning replay.

Since452
15-11-2021, 09:49 AM
I cringe when Hearts fans bring up 5-1 as much as when Hibs fans bring up 7-0. Since then Hearts have been relegated twice, gone bankrupt, been pumped out the cup by Hibs repeatedly, not finished above Hibs in the Premiership, seen Hibs win the cup and had to watch the biggest party Edinburgh has ever seen. Both results are nice to look back on for fans of each club but both have little relevance today.

Weegreenman
15-11-2021, 10:17 AM

The cone back from 2-0 and going onto beat Rangers in the final was unbelievable however I’d swap that in heart beat to have beaten Hearts in a the final.
Beating Rangers isn’t nearly as good in my book as beating Hearts.

I know this shows that I’m hurting and for any Jambo’s looking in, it’ll probably be music to their ears reading this but this is the way I’ve been brought up supporting Hibs. Beat Hearts at all cost,that’s means everything to me.

Stuart93
15-11-2021, 10:29 AM
The cone back from 2-0 and going onto beat Rangers in the final was unbelievable however I’d swap that in heart beat to have beaten Hearts in a the final.

I know this shows that I’m hurting and for any Jambo’s looking in, it’ll probably be music to their ears reading this but this is the way I’ve been brought up supporting Hibs. Beat Hearts at all cost,that’s means everything to me.

You’re coming across as a little desperate that we should all be crying our hearts out about a defeat 10 years ago

Get over it man.

AngloHibs
15-11-2021, 11:13 AM
Going against the grain here, but if we're really all over it, why has this thread appeared?

I was over it long ago, but I'm not from Scotland so I wasn't brought up with the rivalry. I'm not so sure that I'd be over it if I was in Edinburgh, although I suppose looking back at the podium pictures from the 2016 final might help.

The 90+2
15-11-2021, 11:17 AM
5-1 was ****ing ****. Chelsea won the champions league that day too.

I did get over it pretty quickly as again I expected to get pumped. Problem is I hate them that much I dislike how much they enjoy(Ed) it even still.

But then you remember they have Robbie replay in charge and if it wasn’t for him I would probably be sitting here still not seeing us win the Scottish cup.

Pagan Hibernia
15-11-2021, 11:36 AM

Well considering our derby record you must have spent a sizeable chunk of your life in abject misery…

life really is too short mate

JimBHibees
15-11-2021, 11:49 AM
No doubt it hurt at the time however it is gone and 2016 made up for it and more. We know as do they they were financially doping as well as a ref who clearly was desperate for them to win. Has no impact on how I support Hibs at this time.

green leaves
15-11-2021, 01:04 PM
Going against the grain here, but if we're really all over it, why has this thread appeared?

I was over it long ago, but I'm not from Scotland so I wasn't brought up with the rivalry. I'm not so sure that I'd be over it if I was in Edinburgh, although I suppose looking back at the podium pictures from the 2016 final might help.

I only started the thread cause I couldn't find an image online and wanted it as a reply to expected banter from **** acquaintances.
Kickback.net always turns the most innocent thing into am argument

Tommy75
15-11-2021, 01:33 PM
yes they beat us and at this stage most have us have dealt with it long ago. Jesus man it’s virtually a decade ago.

we don’t get to decide who we play in cup finals. We’ve met hearts twice in cup finals in nearly 150 years and unfortunately shat the bed both times. Next time it happens, if it happens again in our lifetimes, believe me we will all be desperate to win it.

Shat the bed both times? Have you read match reports from 1896? By all accounts Hearts got a pen in the 3rd min so was an up hill struggle from there.

I also don't think we 'shat it' in the 5-1 game. We were just a pretty rubbish team and Hearts had good players (they couldn't afford I must add). Throw in Craig Thomson's performance and we never really stood a chance.

Happened nearly 10 years ago. We've won it since and knocked them out a few times so can't really understand when fans say it still hurts, each to their own I suppose.

Hibernia&Alba
15-11-2021, 01:36 PM
Can we delete this thread? I'm not yet ready to talk about it; it's only been nine years. :greengrin

Pagan Hibernia
15-11-2021, 02:25 PM
Shat the bed both times? Have you read match reports from 1896? By all accounts Hearts got a pen in the 3rd min so was an up hill struggle from there.

I also don't think we 'shat it' in the 5-1 game. We were just a pretty rubbish team and Hearts had good players (they couldn't afford I must add). Throw in Craig Thomson's performance and we never really stood a chance.

Happened nearly 10 years ago. We've won it since and knocked them out a few times so can't really understand when fans say it still hurts, each to their own I suppose.

aye, fair enough. I wasn’t there in 1896. We did finish above them in the league that season so I assumed we might have been slight favourites and just failed to perform.

Hibs did actually dominate the derby in its earliest years up until the temporary blip in our history in the early 1890s. Admittedly they were all Edinburgh Cup games, other local competitions and friendlies, but Hibs were well on top.

California-Hibs
15-11-2021, 04:43 PM
It was sore, but only at the time and a short while after. However after winning it in 2016, especially after beating them in the run to the Final,forget about it, they'll still try to convince themselves otherwise but after we finally won it that day in May, many others like me will have fully erased ALL past Scottish Cup pain 😁😁😁

RossScott1991
15-11-2021, 05:33 PM
Hurt at the time. However it was a very unlikeable Hibs team. One you struggled to pick except 1 or 2 that you actually really liked.

If anything it made 2016 more special. You have to experience the lows and that was one of the lowest to enjoy the good times even more. I’m glad the team in 2016 won it, players you connected to before the game. Better characters and dressing room. I look at guys like Docherty etc in 2012 and I am almost glad they never became legends

WeeRussell
15-11-2021, 05:44 PM

Definitely shows something, just cannae put my finger on it.

Imagine any Hibs fan suggesting they would swap 21/5/16 for ANYTHING 😂

Pagan Hibernia
15-11-2021, 09:26 PM
Incidentally, on the analogous ‘comfort blanket’ thread over the road… there’s more than enough posts about a certain game in 1973 to suggest that still gnaws away at them a wee bit. It’s an itch they can’t help but scratch.

5-1 the derby that ended all other derbys? Are you sure?

Mrimbetween
15-11-2021, 11:16 PM
How many seen the 7-0 win, seriously if you think that hurts Hearts fans then deluded you are

2016 changed the scenery lets enjoy that

Ringothedog
15-11-2021, 11:37 PM
How many seen the 7-0 win, seriously if you think that hurts Hearts fans then deluded you are

2016 changed the scenery lets enjoy that

Oh 0-7 hurts the ****ers and always will

Mrimbetween
15-11-2021, 11:40 PM
It sure did

But now not so sure

TheHarpy76
16-11-2021, 03:04 AM
That game hurt like hell for a long time. Knocking them out on the way to winning the cup in 2016 certainly helped ease the pain of that day but it’s not one I’ll ever really get over.

Anyone that says that they were over it by the next day is either:

A) lying through their back teeth.

Or

B) Not a proper a Hibs fan.

marinello59
16-11-2021, 06:38 AM
That game hurt like hell for a long time. Knocking them out on the way to winning the cup in 2016 certainly helped ease the pain of that day but it’s not one I’ll ever really get over.

Anyone that says that they were over it by the next day is either:

A) lying through their back teeth.

Or

B) Not a proper a Hibs fan.

I was over it the next day, barely gave it a thought. **** happens. I’m not a liar so I guess I’m not a proper Hibs fan. :greengrin

Pagan Hibernia
16-11-2021, 06:45 AM

good morning sassenach. :brokenyam:

Stuart93
16-11-2021, 07:43 AM
This threads rotten

jacomo
16-11-2021, 08:21 AM
Definitely shows something, just cannae put my finger on it.

Imagine any Hibs fan suggesting they would swap 21/5/16 for ANYTHING 😂

Indeed. The perfect cup run and one of the greatest stories in Scottish football.

Keith_M
16-11-2021, 08:28 AM
Why on earth would any Hibby start a thread about that game???

This is nothing but a Yam wind-up, and a very unsubtle one at that.

Northernhibee
16-11-2021, 08:41 AM
Let them have their comfort blanket. It’s been a tough couple of years for us all, and god knows how many times I’ve watched 21st May in the lockdowns.

Just think though, if their current manager had a bit of bottle they could have been approaching 120 years, and the standards at their club are so lapse they rehired him…

I'm Spartacus
16-11-2021, 11:10 AM

The atmosphere before the 4-0 was one of absolute dread and easily the worse pre-match I have ever experienced, even worse than the 5-1, we were beaten that day before a turnstile had even opened, in the Kingswood Bowling Club before and the quote that was said, and many agreed, was "I'd take a 3-0 today and move on", this was PRE-MATCH!

We have a knack of beating ourselves at times.